PDA

View Full Version : Schoolio's Movie Corner

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125

sbessiso
05-27-2010, 09:54 PM
wow, tom cruise's new movie Knight and Day actually looks really good.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=32326

RoughSteez
05-27-2010, 10:41 PM
this is too good to not be shared:

http://www.cracked.com/article_16990_lost-in-translation-20-baffling-foreign-movie-posters_p2.html

AlecEiffel
05-28-2010, 01:24 PM
I am currently listening to Paul Verhoeven and Arnold Schwarzenegger's commentary for Total Recall. Hilarious. Arnold is basically narrating every piece of action that apears on screen, and Verhoeven does his usual "real...fake...real...fake" rants about sfx scenes.

True, that's a great one. It's just the two of them kissing each other's asses if I remember correctly. Is that the commentary that starts with Arnold trying to make some terrible joke about having played the Pegasus in the Tristar logo?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
True, that's a great one. It's just the two of them kissing each other's asses if I remember correctly. Is that the commentary that starts with Arnold trying to make some terrible joke about having played the Pegasus in the Tristar logo?

haha Yeah that's the one. I heard several Verhoeven commentaries at this point and he benefits greatly from having a writer or a producer to reel him, because he does have a lot of helpful incite and stories to provide.

The Robocop commentary is especially good when he's not ranting about how Robocop is a metaphor for Jesus.

schoolofruckus
05-28-2010, 02:01 PM
wow, tom cruise's new movie Knight and Day actually looks really good.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=32326

Fuck's sake. Do you have ANY ability whatsoever to tell what's good and what sucks?

AlecEiffel
05-28-2010, 02:49 PM
haha Yeah that's the one. I heard several Verhoeven commentaries at this point and he benefits greatly from having a writer or a producer to reel him, because he does have a lot of helpful incite and stories to provide.

The Robocop commentary is especially good when he's not ranting about how Robocop is a metaphor for Jesus.

I forgot about how much I love Verhoven commentaries. I have to check out what he's got to say on Black Book.

AlecEiffel
05-28-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm sure it's not likely to happen, but I would love if Criterion reissued Robocop on Blu-Ray.

donkey sex
05-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Saw 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' on the big screen Wednesday and there were three guys dressed in Indy outfits and a lone person dressed as Sallah (with accent and funny quotes from the movie. exp: "bad dates", "they call him Belosh", etc.). Anyway, the movie theatre manager asked them to come up to the front before the showing so the audience could vote on the 'best costume' and win shit. Someone yells out "crack the whip!" and, although you could tell the manager was thinking "lawsuit and losing my job", two of the three Indy's faced off with their real bull whips. The Indy who was snapping it the best got the prize...deservedly so.

I left about a half way through (enjoy the first part of the movie more), but it was worth seeing on a larger screen to pick up the nuances and such. The crowd was great as well. "If only you spoke Hovitos".

I.F.A.
05-28-2010, 03:39 PM
^ That sounds awesome.

So, I guess that Jean-Pierre Jeunet's newest movie just got released in the US - I didn't even realize that he had a new one out. This isn't the best review, but I'll be seeing it regardless: http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/micmacs/index.html?story=/ent/movies/review/2010/05/27/micmacs_review

It looks like the release is pretty limited though. :( I hope it makes it to AZ.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-28-2010, 04:49 PM
i have the day off and just watched Dancer In The Dark...hadn't seen it since the original release...10 years ago?

It is just as heart-wrenching and fucking miserable as I remember it. It is truly impeccably made with marvelous performances and music, but I just feel rotten now. For some reason i felt compelled to watch Dogville, Manderlay, and Dancer all within a week of each other.

What are some other good Von Trier recommendations? It seems like a lot of his stuff isn't available on Netflix.

Also have The Last king Of Scotland here to watch this weekend. I heard good things.

schoolofruckus
05-28-2010, 05:09 PM
To me, Breaking the Waves is his best film, with Dancer and Dogville right behind it. The Idiots is awesome but it's not really available on Region 1 DVD. Europa and The Element of Crime are both really good - aesthetically interesting, but not as impactful as his later work. Antichrist is a riot.

daxton
05-28-2010, 05:49 PM
So, I finially finished Notorious (Hitchcock, not rapper). God, I loved it. Could've been a little longer and more action/suspense at the end there, but great nonetheless.

LeK5Y
05-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Watch Black Dynamite you jive turkeys.

roberto73
05-28-2010, 09:03 PM
What are some other good Von Trier recommendations? It seems like a lot of his stuff isn't available on Netflix.

I agree with Gabe; Breaking the Waves is his best film, and a terrific movie by any standard. Just as devastating as a lot of his other stuff, and Emily Watson's performance is dynamite.

But – wouldn't you know it? – it doesn't look like it's available on Netflix.

GnarVee
05-28-2010, 09:35 PM
anyone see Exit through the Gift Shop?

schoolofruckus
05-28-2010, 10:22 PM
I agree with Gabe; Breaking the Waves is his best film, and a terrific movie by any standard. Just as devastating as a lot of his other stuff, and Emily Watson's performance is dynamite.

What unforgivable horseshit! The only acceptable explanation is if there's a Criterion disc in the works, but I haven't heard anything suggesting this is possible.

anyone see Exit through the Gift Shop?

No, but I would like to.

bmack86
05-28-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm sure it's not likely to happen, but I would love if Criterion reissued Robocop on Blu-Ray.

They lost the rights, so there's not much of a chance of that. Still, the original issue they did of it was pretty amazing.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-29-2010, 12:31 AM

Yes i noticed this immediately and saved it. Hopefully it pops up.

donkey sex
05-29-2010, 08:14 AM
It's gonna be hotter than a monkey's ass and I'm going out today (prolly with a million other people). Let's do all-time great surf movies.

http://seandavey.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/FreeRide_Movie_Poster_es.jpg
The Wounded Gull:
http://www.mankymonkey.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/trout_mrichards2.jpg

http://www.surfvideo.com/shop/images/billabong2pack.jpg
Music:
The Slaves
Bill Lincoln and his surf guitar
Social Distortion
The Vandals
Mary's Danish
Painters and Dockers
Larry Norman
The Johnnys
Concrete Blonde
T.S.O.L.
Missy Waima
Peter King
The Altar Boys
Hoodoo Gurus
Dream Syndicate
Davia Babe
Happy Hermit Records

There are no images of 'Surf into Summer' so (note: Hoodoo Gurus 'Whats my Scene?' wasnt the original music for this clip, it twas The Altar Boys 'You Found Me')....
DtY9Iwtd16E

wmgaretjax
05-29-2010, 10:14 AM
RIP Dennis Hopper

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-29-2010, 01:20 PM
RIP Dennis Hopper

That sucks. I loved him dearly.

5_5sQyHnbY4

tqccyUpnZwA

TallGuyCM
05-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Believe it or not, until last night I had never seen Dirty Dancing.

And it did nothing but reaffirm my belief that most seminal 80s movies that are heralded as "classics" nowadays really aren't that good.

I mean, I liked the story enough, it was entertaining, sure. But the fact that the movie told you in the beginning that it took place in 1963, and did nothing aside from that to even try and look from that decade was laughable. The hairstyles, clothing, and even the music were all completely 80s'd out.

Why not just have set in the present day?

sbessiso
05-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Fuck's sake. Do you have ANY ability whatsoever to tell what's good and what sucks?

what a dumb question. I enjoy summer popcorn flicks and this one has a solid trailer not to mention a director that has made quite a few films that ive enjoyed.

also, Prince of Persia SUCKED :(:(:(

TallGuyCM
05-29-2010, 04:41 PM

The answer to your question is: no.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-29-2010, 05:55 PM

hmm, i saw it this morning and rather enjoyed it. It has gorgeous set-pieces and tons of crazy fights and stunts through out. It's no work of art, but I was thoroughly entertained.

mountmccabe
05-29-2010, 11:11 PM
But the fact that the movie told you in the beginning that it took place in 1963, and did nothing aside from that to even try and look from that decade was laughable. The hairstyles, clothing, and even the music were all completely 80s'd out.

Class and social mores were different. Abortion was (and is) legal in that present day. The Catskills weren't such a thing in 80s.

The story was based on the writer having summered in the Catskills in the 60s; it would've run entirely differently if set in the 80s.

paulb
05-29-2010, 11:19 PM
I just rented 12 Angry Men and JFK..... look forward to checkin those out.

sbessiso
05-29-2010, 11:28 PM
hmm, i saw it this morning and rather enjoyed it. It has gorgeous set-pieces and tons of crazy fights and stunts through out. It's no work of art, but I was thoroughly entertained.

im glad you liked it. I was bored to tears with it, i thought the action was totally uninteresting and the fight scenes were badly staged. Should have expected it, the director is responsible for one of the worst Harry Potter movies. Not even Gyllenhaal could save the flick for me

TallGuyCM
05-30-2010, 01:30 AM
Class and social mores were different. Abortion was (and is) legal in that present day. The Catskills weren't such a thing in 80s.

The story was based on the writer having summered in the Catskills in the 60s; it would've run entirely differently if set in the 80s.

True. And that seems to be what the 80s movies address the best - moral/ethical issues that were prevalent at the time. And I got that much. The rest just seemed really lackluster.

schoolofruckus
05-30-2010, 08:38 PM
what a dumb question. I enjoy summer popcorn flicks and this one has a solid trailer not to mention a director that has made quite a few films that ive enjoyed.

It's truly not that dumb of a question. Personally, I'd rather be the female lead in a von Trier film than sit through an action movie that thinks it's 1996, from the guy that thought Johnny Cash's life story ought to be reduced to a garden-variety "will they or won't they get married?" romp between two people who quite famously were married for decades.

I'm glad that you at least didn't like Prince of Persia, though. Sorry Drinky, but this is another one that I just could not abide by.

This summer in general looks awful for popcorn movies. Inception looks great, and probably will be, but even so it doesn't exactly scream "summer". The movie where Jonah Hill has to get the heroin-chic suprefan to the Greek looks insufferable. The one Megan Fox line of reshoots that I worked on for Jonah Hex was enough to tell me it's going to be tedious. Is The Sorcerer's Apprentice somehow unrelated to every other magician movie that's been made in the last nine years? I don't support Angelina Jolie acting, so no dice on Salt.

The only decent "summer movies" (which is meant to exclude films like Micmacs that come out in the summer but aren't specifically geared toward it) on the horizon are Scott Pilgrim (which is an Edgar Wright trust call, because I'm not impressed with the initial trailers either), Toy Story 3D and maybe Predators (the trailer for which is already the best thing with Robert Rodriguez's name on it).

wmgaretjax
05-31-2010, 10:18 AM
The new Solondz was solid. I think there were some problematic bits... he seems to be relying on the his moral fog a little too heavily. But it was fairly funny.

KungFuJoe
06-01-2010, 12:00 AM
This summer in general looks awful for popcorn movies. Inception looks great, and probably will be, but even so it doesn't exactly scream "summer". The movie where Jonah Hill has to get the heroin-chic suprefan to the Greek looks insufferable. The one Megan Fox line of reshoots that I worked on for Jonah Hex was enough to tell me it's going to be tedious. Is The Sorcerer's Apprentice somehow unrelated to every other magician movie that's been made in the last nine years? I don't support Angelina Jolie acting, so no dice on Salt.

The only decent "summer movies" (which is meant to exclude films like Micmacs that come out in the summer but aren't specifically geared toward it) on the horizon are Scott Pilgrim (which is an Edgar Wright trust call, because I'm not impressed with the initial trailers either), Toy Story 3D and maybe Predators (the trailer for which is already the best thing with Robert Rodriguez's name on it).

I agree this summer's popcorn flick lineup is extremely weak, but I have to admit I think that The Karate Kid & The A-Team could be decent. While I do detest that film got made as The Karate Kid and not "The Kung-Fu Kid" I look forward to watching Jackie Chan show off some of his acting chops as the sifu. Not many people realize that he's actually a good actor & this should probably be the best film Jackie's made in America that showcases his true talents. Early reports have been promising. Also, Jackie has released a film in Hong Kong this year called Little Big Soldier which is arguably the best film he's made since Drunken Master 2 & one of the best of his career. I watched it last week and enjoyed it very much.

Another guilty pleasure that I'm really looking forward to this summer is The Expendables.

Apart from those, Inception is certainly the film I'm looking forward to the most this summer, along with Micmacs & Scott Pilgrim. The second trailer they released for Pilgrim is much better than the first.

8NUBVcit5VM

ps: As far as Predators goes, how is the trailer the best thing with Robert Rodriguez's name on it? I think you're being overly harsh there. While I'd admit he's become a hack (El Mariachi may always be the greatest thing with his name on it) the Machete trailer is much better. Plus he only produced Predators, which was directed by the man behind films such as Armored & Vacancy. You really think it's going to be good? I'm hopeful too, but not nearly as stoked for that as I am the others I've mentioned in this post.

daxton
06-01-2010, 06:08 AM

no kidding...

Who's seen Wristcutters and/or Ratcatcher? Just saw both of em this weekend.

schoolofruckus
06-01-2010, 08:31 AM
I agree this summer's popcorn flick lineup is extremely weak, but I have to admit I think that The Karate Kid & The A-Team could be decent. While I do detest that film got made as The Karate Kid and not "The Kung-Fu Kid" I look forward to watching Jackie Chan show off some of his acting chops as the sifu. Not many people realize that he's actually a good actor & this should probably be the best film Jackie's made in America that showcases his true talents. Early reports have been promising. Also, Jackie has released a film in Hong Kong this year called Little Big Soldier which is arguably the best film he's made since Drunken Master 2 & one of the best of his career. I watched it last week and enjoyed it very much.

Another guilty pleasure that I'm really looking forward to this summer is The Expendables.

Apart from those, Inception is certainly the film I'm looking forward to the most this summer, along with Micmacs & Scott Pilgrim. The second trailer they released for Pilgrim is much better than the first.

8NUBVcit5VM

ps: As far as Predators goes, how is the trailer the best thing with Robert Rodriguez's name on it? I think you're being overly harsh there. While I'd admit he's become a hack (El Mariachi may always be the greatest thing with his name on it) the Machete trailer is much better. Plus he only produced Predators, which was directed by the man behind films such as Armored & Vacancy. You really think it's going to be good? I'm hopeful too, but not nearly as stoked for that as I am the others I've mentioned in this post.

Not speaking to you again until you take back every promising thing you said about The Karate Kid.

chairmenmeow47
06-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Believe it or not, until last night I had never seen Dirty Dancing.

And it did nothing but reaffirm my belief that most seminal 80s movies that are heralded as "classics" nowadays really aren't that good.

I mean, I liked the story enough, it was entertaining, sure. But the fact that the movie told you in the beginning that it took place in 1963, and did nothing aside from that to even try and look from that decade was laughable. The hairstyles, clothing, and even the music were all completely 80s'd out.

you have no idea how to watch a movie. this is a campy comedy to me. it boggles my mind anytime someone tries to find any sort of real plot or story in this. i remember realizing an ex-boyfriend wasn't for me when he asked why i thought this movie was funny.

daxton
06-01-2010, 09:39 AM
I've still yet to finish Dirty Dancing. I don't think it's meant to be campy, though...Weren't the 80s just accidentally campy in general?

chairmenmeow47
06-01-2010, 09:40 AM
i don't care if it was meant to be campy. i refuse to take a movie seriously that revolves around patrick swayze wanting to be respected for his dancing.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-01-2010, 10:16 AM
no kidding...

Who's seen Wristcutters and/or Ratcatcher? Just saw both of em this weekend.

I have seen Wristcutters, and listened to the commentary as well. it's an extremely entertaining film.

daxton
06-01-2010, 10:17 AM
It is. There were some things about it that bugged me a little, but worth the watch. Tom Waits was a nice surprise.

KungFuJoe
06-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Not speaking to you again until you take back every promising thing you said about The Karate Kid.

Here's a review from Todd Brown of "Twitch", a man whose opinion I truly trust.

I admit it freely. I was one of the early, vocal doubters of the US remake of The Karate Kid. And having just had the chance to see it, it's time to eat some crow and admit I was wrong. Yes, the title is a complete and total misnomer - the sum total of karate in the film is a less than one minute clip of a Teach Yourself TV show that Jaden Smith's Dre watches - but put that aside. This is a good film. No, this is better than good. And a big part of why is Jackie Chan, who is absolutely fantastic in it. Granted, I have yet to see The Shinjuku Incident or Little Big Soldier but of the Chan canon I have seen - which is A LOT of them - this is easily the richest and most nuanced performance he has ever given. And it'll be a crime if people don't see it or take it seriously because it's a support role in a remake of a 1980's teen drama.

Chan, to be brief, takes to the wise old mentor role like he was born for it and - more than that - when the big emotional moment for his Mr Han comes rolling around, he nails it. He absolutely nails it. Maybe its because his character lets him stop worrying about the quality of his English. More likely it's because it's a character that suits his actual age and stature in life. Even more likely it's that it puts away all the mugging for the camera and takes the man seriously. Less Spy Next Door, Jackie, and more of this. It's what you're built for.

Jaden's perfectly fine, too, by the way. Doesn't quite hit his big emotional moment but delivers a solid acting performance and is actually quite impressive physically. This kid put his work in.

The Karate Kid is going to end up being one of those films people cite on the pro-remake side of the argument. It's a film that takes a successful original, finds a new and genuine voice for it while also respecting the source, and packages it in a way that'll make it a hit with a brand new audience. I took the boy with me tonight and he absolutely loved it.

If you still have no interest then I would move on & take note that this summer also finally brings the U.S. release of Ip Man. Anyone into martial arts films should have this on their radar. Ip Man 2 has already become the summer blockbuster champ in Asia & only those in NYC will have a chance to see both films this summer at the NYAFF. So if you live in NY & don't make it to the Ip Man 1 & 2 screenings, you fail. For the rest of you, mark July 27th on your calendar. That Donnie Yen is so hot right now. Donnie Yen, so hot...

kEVpNa9v0o4

schoolofruckus
06-01-2010, 11:01 AM
It's more than just that they should have used a different title. It's that there's no need to remake the fucking Karate Kid when it's only 20 years old and still plenty well known and well seen. I'm not even that huge a fan of the original movies; it's more that I have no respect for anyone who would make them or be in this remake because it's totally ridiculous and symptomatic of what sucks about Hollywood the last ten years. Jackie Chan and Will Smith's kid (and Will Smith) and everyone else involved can go fuck themselves.

KungFuJoe
06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Were you a supporter of the Star Trek movie? Something tells me you were. The first Star Trek movie was made only 5 years behind The Karate Kid which is actually 26 years old.

While I'd agree they should have re-titled The Karate Kid & the fact that they're banking off the name is part of the problem with Hollywood these days, there is still no reason to completely dismiss it. It's a kids movie for crying out loud & Hollywood is a business. I can forgive them for calling it The Karate Kid, because if they didn't there would probably be less interest in it (Though if it was called the Kung-Fu Kid I doubt there would really be that much less interest). To each his own though, I'm a Chan fan & though I can't abide by some of his choices such as The Spy Next Door I'll definitely be in the theater for Karate Kid.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-01-2010, 11:31 AM
The first time I saw the trailer for that karate Kid trailer I had that same gut reaction to it, mostly because it seemed very much against the spirit of the original. I LOVE the original film, and watch it semi-regularly.

That said, the more trailers I've seen for the new one, the more I see it for it being its own film entirely and it actually does not look bad. I doubt i see it in the theater but I'll give it a chance.

schoolofruckus
06-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Were you a supporter of the Star Trek movie? Something tells me you were. The first Star Trek movie was made only 5 years behind The Karate Kid which is actually 26 years old.

While I'd agree they should have re-titled The Karate Kid & the fact that they're banking off the name is part of the problem with Hollywood these days, there is still no reason to completely dismiss it. It's a kids movie for crying out loud & Hollywood is a business. I can forgive them for calling it The Karate Kid, because if they didn't there would probably be less interest in it (Though if it was called the Kung-Fu Kid I doubt there would really be that much less interest). To each his own though, I'm a Chan fan & though I can't abide by some of his choices such as The Spy Next Door I'll definitely be in the theater for Karate Kid.

I didn't like Star Trek that much. It looked like a TV movie and had about triple the lens flare that was necessary.

menikmati
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
I agree, fuck this new Karate Kid shit.

schoolofruckus
06-01-2010, 11:38 AM
The first time I saw the trailer for that karate Kid trailer I had that same gut reaction to it, mostly because it seemed very much against the spirit of the original. I LOVE the original film, and watch it semi-regularly.

That said, the more trailers I've seen for the new one, the more I see it for it being its own film entirely and it actually does not look bad. I doubt i see it in the theater but I'll give it a chance.

I'm avoiding everything to do with it, so I have no idea if it looks good. I'm sorry, but the older I get, the more selective I am with what I choose to spend my movie time on.

daxton
06-01-2010, 11:44 AM
I agree, fuck this new Karate Kid shit.

Fuck 98% of remakes.

KungFuJoe
06-01-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm avoiding everything to do with it, so I have no idea if it looks good. I'm sorry, but the older I get, the more selective I am with what I choose to spend my movie time on.

Fair enough. I've gotten much more selective in my old age too, but not as crotchety :winkiss

Moving on, the Los Angeles Film Festival is coming up & thus far I've selected to go to the outdoor screening of Centurion, Neil Marshal's new flick, as well as the screening of Mandrill, the new film with Chilean martial artist Mark Zaror. Both look to be good summer entertainments. For the record the best popcorn flick I've seen so far this season is True Legend, though unfortunately not in a theater.

schoolofruckus
06-02-2010, 09:50 AM
The crotchety was more in regards to the fact that my bike was stolen yesterday morning than it was old age.

Also, you're right - the second Scott Pilgrim trailer looks fucking sweet.

schoolofruckus
06-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Also, I took in The Complete Metropolis last night.

Objectively, it's a pretty staggering movie. Such is the magnitude of this film's influence and visionary power that I felt like the seeds of every film I've ever seen were in here somewhere. There was also a great deal I enjoyed about it, including the working-class thirst for religion that I have very little patience for in present life, but which felt strangely poignant in the context of this film's uber-industrialism.

That said, I have to be honest and confess that it was a tough sit. There were just too many aspects that prevented immersion into the film's world - chiefly, the combination of over-emotive acting (which, though I've never seen a full silent feature before, I have seen in many other silent shorts and clips) and hyperactive frame speed. The musical score was sometimes effective, but also often overwrought in a way typical of many pre-60's films that I've seen. The restored footage that was just found a couple years ago was (I believe) transferred from 16mm, and to say that it sticks out is to put it mildly.

The thing is - none of these faults are really strikes against the movie itself. They're basically circumstantial, in one form or another - even the acting style, which is hard to critique when it was so widespread at the time. Does it impact my feeling that this movie is a towering achievement in cinema history? No. But it does make it kind of difficult to stay in the film for two hours and forty minutes.

I.F.A.
06-02-2010, 10:34 AM
^ I fell in love with Metropolis when I first saw it in a Stage Craft class I took in HS, I still haven't seen the full version though. I think I must make that happen.

If you like the style, but had a hard time with the length, I'd suggest some of the shorts from the period. There's a really good series (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Avant-Garde_Experimental_Cinema_of_the_1920s_and_30s_Vol ._1_Disc_1/70034909?trkid=226871) of avant-garde shorts that you can get on Netflix. Very, very cool film making - and surprisingly, they've held up quite well. Watching those I still find them to be more innovative than most contemporary cinematography. It's amazing that they achieved the effects that they did with out the manipulative tools that we have today. The Man Ray shorts are particularly good - I can't remember if it's included in the DVDs I listed, but my favorite of his is called Emak Bakia.

Last night I watched Stranger Than Fiction, for like the 10th time. I <3 that movie.

schoolofruckus
06-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Thank you. Now what if I don't like the style, but I'm perfectly okay with the length?

I.F.A.
06-02-2010, 11:19 AM
If you don't like the style, then you fail at movies. ;)

KungFuJoe
06-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your bike Gabe. That would make me super pissed off as well.

I suppose I should check out The Complete Metropolis at some point, but fear I'd have trouble making it through the whole film. Even though I've sat though longer pictures I feel it would definitely require a 5 hour energy drink or a few cups of coffee.

Going back to IP MAN, I know not many people have interest, but I'm sure many of you would find it interesting that Wong Kar Wai's current production is The Grand Master, which is the story of Ip Man. I'm very interested to see how that turns out.

full on idle
06-02-2010, 12:30 PM
I saw Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work at SIFF this weekend and it was interesting and sad and hilarious. I gave it four stars on my ballot.

Alligator Bogaloo
06-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Last night I watched Stranger Than Fiction, for like the 10th time. I <3 that movie.

Maggie G. can bake me cookies anytime... Anytime.

chairmenmeow47
06-02-2010, 01:17 PM
gabe, i had metropolis on my dvr for like 2 years and never was able to sit through it all the way through. it is beautiful. i just have trouble with silent film in general. the only silent films i can ever seem to get through are buster keaton shorts.

i finally saw tropic thunder over the weekend. totally silly, but robert downey jr. was hysterical.

daxton
06-02-2010, 01:18 PM
I finished The Jerk last night. Steve Martin is the man!!

schoolofruckus
06-02-2010, 01:21 PM
If you don't like the style, then you fail at movies. ;)

I'm just saying. I would be fine with the film being significantly longer in order to see it projected at the rate at which it were shot - which, based on my reading this morning, seems to be a recurring problem throughout history with every version of this film. But with it being shot at 16 fps and projected at 24, it looks like it's on fast forward the whole time, and I don't find think that was the desired effect. It's still an amazing movie, it's just seemingly doomed to never be seen as Lang visualized it.

bmack86
06-02-2010, 03:29 PM
I haven't seen the restored version, but I agree with you in regards to the frame rate issues. I love the movie's story, but it's kind of hard to watch.

Alligator Bogaloo
06-02-2010, 03:32 PM
i finally saw tropic thunder over the weekend. totally silly, but robert downey jr. was hysterical.

Tom Cruise totally makes the movie. He plays the best Jewish studio head evar!

Mr.Nipples
06-02-2010, 04:21 PM
hobo's dick cheese

rage patton
06-02-2010, 04:24 PM
It is. There were some things about it that bugged me a little, but worth the watch. Tom Waits was a nice surprise.

Wristcutters is probably one of my favorite movies. No, not because the secondary character is based off of Eugene Hutz or because Gogol Bordello music is used throughout the movie. I thought the movie was very clever, witty and it didn't speak down to its audience. I feel like they left things mysterious for a reason. It was a very odd concept for a movie, and while not all the loose ends and not tied up nicely, I don't feel like it took away from the story. Tom Waits was also absolutely brilliant in the movie. I love him so much.

Also, that second Scott Pilgrim trailer is awesome. I thought the first was great, but this one makes it look even better. It made me laugh out loud, and very rarely does a trailer ever make me do that. I cant wait for it.

schoolofruckus
06-02-2010, 06:09 PM
The Tree of Life is the movie that I want to see right now over any other. (http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/126160-the-calm-before-the-tree-of-life)

malcolmjamalawesome
06-02-2010, 07:53 PM
I often confuse
http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/3082/07bargenhead.jpg and http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6060/jksimmons1.jpg

MissingPerson
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
The guy on the right is bigger.

MissingPerson
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
lol that's what she said.

bobert
06-02-2010, 08:03 PM
The Tree of Life is the movie that I want to see right now over any other. (http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/126160-the-calm-before-the-tree-of-life)

I second that. It seems like he's more committed to this project than any movie he's ever been involved in. One of the reasons I was so excited when I saw Avatar was that I kept imagining that kind of technology in the hands of a filmmaker with Malick's sensibilities. Not that The Tree of Life is going to be in 3D or anything, but the thought of a Terrence Malick movie in IMAX with tons of CGI sounds like quite the experience.

sbessiso
06-02-2010, 08:11 PM
It's truly not that dumb of a question. Personally, I'd rather be the female lead in a von Trier film than sit through an action movie that thinks it's 1996, from the guy that thought Johnny Cash's life story ought to be reduced to a garden-variety "will they or won't they get married?" romp between two people who quite famously were married for decades.

I'm glad that you at least didn't like Prince of Persia, though. Sorry Drinky, but this is another one that I just could not abide by.

Inception looks badass, everyone can agree. Jonah Hex had so much potential but definitely will be a turkey. Get Him to the Greek looks alright, im hearing good things about it and Forgetting Sarah Marshall wasnt so bad. Its a netflix movie for sure.

Im guilty in thinking The Sorcerers Apprentice looks good but the trailer uses a depeche mode song so I get hypnotized. After Prince of Persia though my excitement for the movie has decreased dramatically.

and for the record I was referring to James Mangold's other movies like Identity and the 3:10 to Yuma remake that I enjoyed. (i didnt have to see Kate & Leopold to know that shit sucked so dont even go there)

oh and Salt looks awful. I wasnt even aware they released a Predators trailer, thats a bold statement cuz RR has made some movies that ive just loved

schoolofruckus
06-03-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm not a very big Rodriguez fan. El Mariachi, Desperado, and From Dusk Til Dawn are all pretty awesome, I guess. I don't know. I think he was just a better fit for me when I was in high school. Since I was not expecting Predators to look good, I was really impressed by the trailer (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810151629/trailer).

wmgaretjax
06-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Agreed on Tree of Life... Can't wait.

liquidsnake28
06-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Anybody know where you can stream Exit Through The Gift Shop?

I stream most films from here http://www.movies-links.tv/ but they don't have it.

daxton
06-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Wristcutters is probably one of my favorite movies. No, not because the secondary character is based off of Eugene Hutz or because Gogol Bordello music is used throughout the movie. I thought the movie was very clever, witty and it didn't speak down to its audience. I feel like they left things mysterious for a reason. It was a very odd concept for a movie, and while not all the loose ends and not tied up nicely, I don't feel like it took away from the story. Tom Waits was also absolutely brilliant in the movie. I love him so much.

I loved the Russian guy and the mute throat musician. I loved Tom Waits. I loved the black hole in the car. I loved that they were all dead suicide commiters. I loved the concept. I loved the cassette tape song they played over and over.

The female lead, to me was a little unconvincing. Something about her didn't sit quite right with me. And the way they kept saying "offed" instead of died or killed yourself was annyoing for some reason.

There. That's my inarticulate non-movie buff review.

schoolofruckus
06-03-2010, 11:52 AM
I liked a lot of things about Wristcutters, but I really thought Tom Waits' character was lame. I mean, seriously - if you're going to put him in a movie, try not to involve him in an exchange that goes "Why don't you just tell her?" "Tell her what?" "Tell her you love her!"

Down Rodeo
06-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Agreed on Tree of Life... Can't wait.

Seconded.

daxton
06-04-2010, 06:55 AM
I liked a lot of things about Wristcutters, but I really thought Tom Waits' character was lame. I mean, seriously - if you're going to put him in a movie, try not to involve him in an exchange that goes "Why don't you just tell her?" "Tell her what?" "Tell her you love her!"

I thought they boy's response was kind of funny though.

GnarVee
06-04-2010, 08:53 AM
gonna go see 'Exit Through The Gift Shop' today.

STOKED.

malcolmjamalawesome
06-05-2010, 05:12 PM
I just watched Sleeping Dogs Lie

SoulDischarge
06-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I recently watched My Favorite Year, which was really uneven and unfocused and really only had one redeeming element in Peter O'Toole. Not terrible, just kind of tonally flat.

Also watched The Marriage Of Maria Braun. I'm devouring them extremely slowly, but every Fassbinder film I watch is fantastic on almost every level. The actress who played the title character was a standout.

bobert
06-05-2010, 05:42 PM
So I'd read an article a year or so back that Russell Crowe was in the process of developing a screenplay for a Bill Hicks biopic with Crowe starring as Bill Hicks. Now it's being reported that Ron Howard will direct. If there is any God or justice in the universe both Crowe and Howard will be struck dead during preproduction. The great Bill Hicks deserves better.

donkey sex
06-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah, didnt Hicks pass on at thirty? That has got to be false. My friend loaned me 'Philosphy - The Best of Bill Hicks' and it took me awhile to listen to it (long story).

"You're readin books?!"

bobert
06-05-2010, 06:12 PM
"Whatcha readin for?" Well, I read for many reasons, but chief among them is so I don't end up as a fucking waffle waitress.

But yes, Russell Crowe is 46 and Australian. Bill Hicks was American and died at age 32. I could've seen him pulling it off 10 years ago when he was still relatively unknown, as he does sort of resemble Hicks, especially when wearing glasses. But in my opinion, you'd need an actor who could hail Hicks' voice - since that's obviously what most people know him by. Ideally they'd find some unknown, up-and-coming actor or comedian who could really nail it and attach a director who's not known manufacturing uber-sentimental, self-important trite every time he steps behind a camera. A Maynard James Keenan cameo would also be a must.

EDIT: and yes, unfortunately all of this is true. Read the Ron Howard bit on Hicks' Wikipedia and the Russell Crowe involvement has been widely reported.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Russell-Crowe-To-Be-Bill-Hicks-9892.html

paulb
06-05-2010, 06:31 PM
I just rented Donnie Brasco..... is it worth while?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-05-2010, 06:32 PM
I just rewatched There Will Be Blood for the first time since the original theatrical run. So goddamn good. So impeccably and perfectly crafted. It almost makes me sick how good it is.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-05-2010, 06:33 PM
I just rented Donnie Brasco..... is it worth while?

I haven't seen it in many years but I recall liking it very much. It's coming up fairly soon on my queue so I'll be rewatching it myself in the not-so-distant future.

ivankay
06-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Wasn't too enthusiastic bout going to see Get Him to the Greek last night, but enjoyed it. Comedy wise i'll put it in that Sarah Marshall category of being nice. If Russel Brand gets on your nerves, this probably won't change your mind. i was surprised they pulled off the "rock star" plausibility and Diddy was pretty funny. In this bankrupt summer so far, it'll do.

paulb
06-05-2010, 06:38 PM
I need to see There Will Be Blood again, I saw it in the theaters, but had a low blood sugar during it and missed a bunch....

I recently saw A History of Violence, loved the killing, but what the fuck kind of ending was that? I totally thought the movie was going to be going in a different direction than what happened, seemed kinda pointless in the end.

ivankay
06-05-2010, 06:39 PM
I need to see There Will Be Blood again, I saw it in the theaters, but had a low blood sugar during it and missed a bunch....

Damn Paul, please keep a pocket full of Tootsie Rolls on you at all times.

paulb
06-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Damn Paul, please keep a pocket full of Tootsie Rolls on you at all times.

I will, i learned my lesson after Coachella

ivankay
06-05-2010, 06:43 PM
I will, i learned my lesson after Coachella

Good. Odd as it may sound, some people around here actually like you.

paulb
06-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Good. Odd as it may sound, some people around here actually like you.

so dont die from being low, you're saying?

ivankay
06-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Yes. Or be miserable unnecessarily.

mountmccabe
06-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Today I watched Bring It On. It is a story about being a cheerleader and trying to be the best. Sometimes you get distracted by spirit fingers and people being mean but if you motivate people enough you can be the best. Or at least second.

There was a good deal of bad cheerleading but that was to help lead up to the top notch (I reckon, at least) cheerleading. This often has loud and wild music. It is really quite something.

Much of the movie was painful but there really was more going on than your typical high school cheerleading flick. Everybody deals with issues and worries about having to take over the cheerleading squad and this movie shows some of them amongst disturbingly awkward situations. Also the ending was more interesting than it could've been.

I rate it one and a half pom poms (out of two, of course.)

miscorrections
06-05-2010, 07:13 PM
John I love you.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I was sooooo stoned when i watched that 9 years ago.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Related, a couple years ago the third BIO came out, starring hayden panettiere and a female friend of mine forced me to watch it. It was the most ridiculously subversively racist piece of entertainment aimed towards children i have ever seen.

i'm not easy to offend, but what the fuck

bmack86
06-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Spirit fingers

SoulDischarge
06-05-2010, 07:48 PM
The Bring It On series is a modern cinematic touchstone any serious film fan should absorb.

paulb
06-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Wow, Donnie Brasco=great!

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-06-2010, 02:15 AM
My favorite moment of Donnie Brasco that I didn't want to mention until after you saw it was disheveled Al Pacino banging on a stolen parking meter trying to get the money out of it. Classic moment.

paulb
06-06-2010, 11:25 AM
That was pretty funny. I was so emotionally invested in those characters, I was hoping in the end when Pacino was sent for, all of a sudden that 300G would be at his doorstep and he'd just peace it and live his new life on a boat....and the fact that for everything that happened, Brasco ruined his marriage and life for years only for 500 bucks...

KungFuJoe
06-06-2010, 04:15 PM
I finally watched French horror film Martyrs the other night.

Fuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhck...

Best horror flick I've seen in a long while. It really shook me, struck fear into me & had me on the brink of tears at parts. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but do not recommend it to the faint of heart. Especially if you decide to watch it in a dark room by yourself.

I can't believe they're going to try to remake this in America. Makes me sick.

TallGuyCM
06-06-2010, 11:30 PM
I just took the plunge and bought tickets to the entire Cremaster Cycle screening this Saturday at the Nuart. I'm sure it will take quite a bit of endurance, but they give you an hour break between each of the 3 parts so I'm hoping that's enough to walk around for a bit and charge the batteries.

Edit: Here's the link for anyone toying with the idea of going: https://tickets.landmarktheatres.com/Landmark.aspx?TheatreID=209

Just select June 12th, and click on the times to purchase tickets.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Ah shit, i really wanted to go to that. I'm gonna be out of town.

paulb
06-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I just took the plunge and bought tickets to the entire Cremaster Cycle screening this Saturday at the Nuart. I'm sure it will take quite a bit of endurance, but they give you an hour break between each of the 3 parts so I'm hoping that's enough to walk around for a bit and charge the batteries.

Edit: Here's the link for anyone toying with the idea of going: https://tickets.landmarktheatres.com/Landmark.aspx?TheatreID=209

Just select June 12th, and click on the times to purchase tickets.

whats it about?

amyzzz
06-07-2010, 10:51 AM
I finally watched French horror film Martyrs the other night.

Fuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhck...

Best horror flick I've seen in a long while. It really shook me, struck fear into me & had me on the brink of tears at parts. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but do not recommend it to the faint of heart. Especially if you decide to watch it in a dark room by yourself.

I can't believe they're going to try to remake this in America. Makes me sick.
I hope I don't regret putting this on my queue. :thu

Hannahrain
06-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Quick, everybody. Little Otik or Eraserhead? I haven't seen either.

Hannahrain
06-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Slow, everybody. Don't say a damn thing.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't know what Little Otik is, but Eraserhead is bizarrely entertaining.

Hannahrain
06-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Sold, to the half-qualified lanky gentleman with the cheshire grin. Watching now.

TallGuyCM
06-08-2010, 02:07 AM
I watched Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal tonight. And I was completely entranced by it. I had heard mixed reviews from different people going into it, but found it to be completely to my liking.

This was only my second Bergman film, but I liked it a bit more than Wild Strawberries. With how religiously crippled the US has been since its birth, it was really something to watch a film from another part of the world that was made in the late '50s address theological issues in such a way.

Everything here, especially back then, was always so cautious, so guilt-stricken, so fearful. The freedom with which the film seemed to address and often times doubt the existence of God was so completely refreshing, and coincidentally in line with where I stand with the issue right now which might be why I embraced the film with such open arms.

And Gunnar Bjornstrand's portrayal of Jons the squire was absolutely my favorite character in a film in recent memory. The scenes where he and the blacksmith go on and on about the uselessness of women, and the scene where he feeds the blacksmith his lines during an argument were especially well done.

buddy
06-08-2010, 02:17 AM
Fanny and Alexander and Scenes from a Marriage are also some quality Bergman. Franny's somewhat autobiographical of his childhood, and it's also on netflix instant.

sonofhal
06-08-2010, 02:26 AM
Quick, everybody. Little Otik or Eraserhead? I haven't seen either.

A bit late, but Little Otik is ace.

TallGuyCM
06-08-2010, 02:35 AM
Fanny and Alexander and Scenes from a Marriage are also some quality Bergman. Franny's somewhat autobiographical of his childhood, and it's also on netflix instant.

Cool, thanks. I'm always open to recommendations, especially when it comes to foreign film.

tessalasset
06-08-2010, 03:56 AM
I just ended up watching this entire movie when I was only meaning to watch the trailer.

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/watch/confessions_of_a_superhero/

tessalasset
06-08-2010, 03:56 AM
wow i love the abbreviation in that link.

schoolofruckus
06-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Chris, you should give The Virgin Spring a shot in regards to Bergman. It has some of the same heavy-handed qualities that I didn't like about Seventh Seal - and which seemingly didn't bother you whatsoever - but overall, I think it's a much more powerful rumination on the loss of faith.

Also, you should watch Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice, which was made in Sweden with a lot of Bergman's collaborators. Like all of Tarkovsky's movies, it's far better than Seventh Seal or Virgin Spring.

I have Persona near the top of my Netflix queue.

schoolofruckus
06-08-2010, 08:05 AM
And I'm still undecided on 10 hours of Cremaster this weekend. I will almost certainly join you for some of it, but I'm not sure if I'm going to do the whole thing in one sitting.

Down Rodeo
06-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Also, you should watch Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice, which was made in Sweden with a lot of Bergman's collaborators. Like all of Tarkovsky's movies, it's far better than Seventh Seal or Virgin Spring.

I have Persona near the top of my Netflix queue.

Gabe, you have excellent opinions on film but I just can't stand by this. Those films are all equally great in my mind.

I'm also shocked you haven't seen Persona yet. I think you'll enjoy it a lot, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-08-2010, 01:57 PM
I watched Blindness last night...what a bleak film. It's extremely uneven and weirdly paced, but I still liked it.

amyzzz
06-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Someone help me convince Jacob to watch Silent Light with me. It's on our Netflix queue, and we only have instant Netflix on one TV, and I don't know if I'll get to watch it unless he is convinced to watch it with me. He saw the words "Mennonite extramarital affair" and he dozed off.

humanoid
06-08-2010, 02:23 PM
what kind of man dozes off upon seeing the words "Mennonite extramarital affair"? I thought those were universal attention magnets

amyzzz
06-08-2010, 02:26 PM
He wanted to watch some stupid Justice League cartoon instead. WTF? This is what I have to deal with everyday.

paulb
06-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I watched Eraserhead and Dead Ringers for the first time ever yesterday....pretty good stuff...and now im watching Pink Flamingos and damn its fucked up

schoolofruckus
06-08-2010, 05:00 PM
I think there probably isn't a way to really convince someone who wants to watch Justice League that they should be watching Silent Light.

But it's a film that has the power to make a staunch atheist feel a distinct God-like presence in every single frame. It's seriously one of the most visually incredible movies of recent times - not merely pretty or even beautiful, but transcendent.

Plus, yeah, the whole Mennonites fukking thing.

amyzzz
06-08-2010, 05:03 PM
He's going through a meathead masculine phase, and art movies do not fit into that genre.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I enjoy both Justice League cartoons and art films. Added Silent Light to my queue today. how are the director's other films? The reviews are pretty mixed on Netflix for most of them.

schoolofruckus
06-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Japon is fucking great. Battle in Heaven is really provocative (just look at the DVD cover for fuck's sake), but I think it's pretty uneven. Silent Light is his masterpiece heretofore, in my opinion.

I think that a lot of reviews of his work - particularly in aggregate review systems like Netflix - will be hurt by the fact that he features a lot of unattractive/overweight/elderly people having graphic sex in his movies. Some people just have a hard time with that sort of material. Silent Light isn't nearly as bad as the other two in this regard.

amyzzz
06-08-2010, 05:34 PM
will be hurt by the fact that he features a lot of unattractive/overweight/elderly people having graphic sex in his movies.
oh fuck.

schoolofruckus
06-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Just kill your husband already and watch the damn movie.

OnlyNonStranger
06-08-2010, 05:45 PM
So I just watched Paper Heart and wtf, was that real? Very strange.

Down Rodeo
06-08-2010, 05:51 PM
You know, Syndromes and a Century did very little for me, but the trailer for Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives looks fucking great.

Jk-EoUb0nvg

schoolofruckus
06-08-2010, 06:08 PM
HELL yes. Great find, Daniel. I'm super excited for this; I thought Syndromes and a Century was excellent, but this looks even better.

paulb
06-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Ok, Pink Flamingos was definitely the filthiest film ive ever seen......what else should I download?

Alchemy
06-08-2010, 11:06 PM
I saw Moon today. Loved it.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Tokyo Gore Police is one of the most entertaining things I have seen in a long time.

schoolofruckus
06-09-2010, 08:42 AM
There's a super-fucked Filipino film called Kinatay playing in San Francisco on Saturday. I've been waiting for this one since Cannes last year, where it won Best Director. Sounds like it will be pretty brutal, but I would be all over this if I lived up there.

Link. (http://www.ybca.org/tickets/production/view.aspx?id=11170&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Post&utm_campaign=FV-Kinatay)

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
There's a super-fucked Filipino film called Kinatay playing in San Francisco on Saturday. I've been waiting for this one since Cannes last year, where it won Best Director. Sounds like it will be pretty brutal, but I would be all over this if I lived up there.

Link. (http://www.ybca.org/tickets/production/view.aspx?id=11170&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Post&utm_campaign=FV-Kinatay)

Hmm, I am actually in SF this weekend. We're doing Napa Saturday but should be back in the city well before this. if we're not throwing up and falling asleep I think my friends would be down for this.

amyzzz
06-09-2010, 10:44 AM
We tried watching Thirst last night, but couldn't get through it all. It was too damn long for what it was and really needed some editing. (Korean Catholic priest vampire/love-hate sexual relationship with childhood friend story). I think we still have a half hour left to go, but I'm not sure what other loose ends could be tied up unless his (newly-made) vampire girlfriend takes over the world or perhaps the mother-in-law also becomes a vampire.

rage patton
06-09-2010, 11:37 AM
I went and saw Get Him To The Greek last night and it was much better than I thought. It started off kind of slow,but built up speedy really quickly once the story really started to unfold. Anyways, yeah, I would suggest going to see it. It also had some great cameos. Lars Ulrich was my favorite.

If life hands you a Geoffery, you have got to pet the furry walls.

schoolofruckus
06-09-2010, 11:40 AM
We tried watching Thirst last night, but couldn't get through it all. It was too damn long for what it was and really needed some editing. (Korean Catholic priest vampire/love-hate sexual relationship with childhood friend story). I think we still have a half hour left to go, but I'm not sure what other loose ends could be tied up unless his (newly-made) vampire girlfriend takes over the world or perhaps the mother-in-law also becomes a vampire

I think the real ending was some combination of the two.

amyzzz
06-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Any recommendations on what to see at my closest arty movie theatre? Sorry, I haven't heard of any of these, and tonight is date night. If not these, then I might try to see the Nightmare on Elm St remake or Get Him to the Greek. :rolleyes

Casino Jack and the United States of Money (R, 118 min)

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (subtitled) (Not Rated, 152 min)

Harry Brown (R, 103 min)

Please Give (R, 90 min)

The Secret in Their Eyes (subtitled) (R, 129 min)

I.F.A.
06-09-2010, 02:25 PM
I've heard really good things about The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, though I've not seen it yet. I think Ivy saw it and liked it though.

Alchemy
06-09-2010, 09:40 PM
I just watched The Road. I thought it did a good job at capturing the book. Both were really bleak and sad. The story doesn't really have too many exciting turns, but it's a beautiful portrait of a post-apocalyptic world. And that's the reason to watch it, I think. I gave it 4 stars on Netflix.

TallGuyCM
06-10-2010, 02:03 AM
Just watched Silent Light. I usually keep a light on in the corner of the room when I watch movies, I don't know why. It doesn't really distract much. But from the first 5 seconds of this one I turned everything out. The opening and closing sequences were absolutely dazzling, I've never seen anything like that.

And the film itself was really good. If they didn't do it right, that could have easily been the most mundane flick of all time, what with the setting and the people and what not. But there was something very interesting, very captivating about the whole thing. Maybe part of what kept me intrigued was the flow of the dialogue. It was really easy to follow and was even sparse at times.

I'm pretty sure I'm the last one on here who hadn't seen it, but check it out if you haven't.

GoEastYoungMan
06-10-2010, 04:42 AM
Tokyo Gore Police is one of the most entertaining things I have seen in a long time.

Then you should probably check out The Machine Girl.

daxton
06-10-2010, 07:44 AM
So I just watched Paper Heart and wtf, was that real? Very strange.

I enjoyed that one. I'm guessing not real.

schoolofruckus
06-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Just watched Silent Light. I usually keep a light on in the corner of the room when I watch movies, I don't know why. It doesn't really distract much. But from the first 5 seconds of this one I turned everything out. The opening and closing sequences were absolutely dazzling, I've never seen anything like that.

And the film itself was really good. If they didn't do it right, that could have easily been the most mundane flick of all time, what with the setting and the people and what not. But there was something very interesting, very captivating about the whole thing. Maybe part of what kept me intrigued was the flow of the dialogue. It was really easy to follow and was even sparse at times.

I'm pretty sure I'm the last one on here who hadn't seen it, but check it out if you haven't.

Amy hasn't seen it because her husband is into watching Power Rangers or some shit.

But I'm super happy that you liked it.

amyzzz
06-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Justice League, Gabe ("omg James Woods does one of the voices!"). I will check it out this weekend.

edit: and what the fuck? There is absolutely nothing out at the theatres that I want to see. We skipped the theatre and went to bed early. Meh.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Then you should probably check out The Machine Girl.

Yes, i plan of watching that ASAP along with The Samurai Princess, which is supposed to be along the same lines. The Machine Girl's director's follow-up, Robo-Geisha, looks amazing too.

GoEastYoungMan
06-10-2010, 10:56 AM
The Robo-Geisha summary from Netflix - "Director Noboru Iguchi and gore master Yoshihiro Nishimura team up for this hyper-violent and hilariously grotesque depiction of a very angry army of butt sword-wielding geisha robots with enough strength to embed tempura shrimp in villains' eyes. Special effects in Iguchi's (Machine Girl) over-the-top, feminist melodrama include chainsaw lips, blood-spouting buildings, geisha transformers, machine gun bras and some basic decapitations." LMFAO.

Had not heard of The Samurai Princess, but it's on Netflix Watch Instantly so I just added it. I'm sure my wife will be aching to see this "gore fest that features breast grenades, detachable chainsaw limbs, deadly guitar riffs and more." I managed to convince her to watch Tokyo Gore Police but that was only based upon her love for Audition and the presence of Eihi Shiina in TGP. Yeah. I think she's out for all future Japanese Gore films.

Any idea if the Watch Instantly versions of these movies are subtitled or dubbed? The latter is a deal breaker and I'll need to add them to the regular queue.

Geno_g
06-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Has this been posted, looks good but japan is pissed this is getting made...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4KRD8e20fBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4KRD8e20fBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Any idea if the Watch Instantly versions of these movies are subtitled or dubbed? The latter is a deal breaker and I'll need to add them to the regular queue.

Tokyo Gore Police was subtitled, thankfully. The Robo-Geisha trailer was making the rounds a couple months ago and it looks CRAAAZY.

The Cove cam out last year and even won Best Documentary in the Academy Awards earlier this year. it was discussed at great length in the Oscars thread. Anyway, I haven't seen it and only saw that trailer for the first time on a dvd a couple nights ago and I am eager to see it.

In other news, I watched Brothers last night. It's uneven, but has some great performances. Toby Maguire does such a great fucking job, and it's nice to see Natalie Portman playing her age for once. She's been doing too many period pieces as of late. And Gyllenhall does a great job as well. I am very eager to watch the original now, which i assume is better.

amyzzz
06-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Dubbed Oldboy almost ruined it for me (on instant watch).

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-10-2010, 12:00 PM
If I try to watch a foreign movie on there and it's dubbed I instantly turn off and wait for the dvd. it's really bullshit that they do that.

amyzzz
06-10-2010, 12:01 PM
I wish they'd keep the dubbing to action movies.

Geno_g
06-10-2010, 12:24 PM
The Cove cam out last year and even won Best Documentary in the Academy Awards earlier this year. it was discussed at great length in the Oscars thread. Anyway, I haven't seen it and only saw that trailer for the first time on a dvd a couple nights ago and I am eager to see it.

Shoot, I'll have to watch it this weekend...

Nevermind watching right now...

bobert
06-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Hot Tub Time Machine was the funniest movie I've seen in a while. Don't remember laughing that hard in years. Rob Corddry is the man.

wmgaretjax
06-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Robo-Geisha was great.

full on idle
06-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm going to this (http://www.siff.net/festival/film/detail.aspx?id=43954&FID=166) on Saturday.

whynotsmile99
06-10-2010, 01:54 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4KRD8e20fBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4KRD8e20fBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

it's a great documentary, one of the best i've seen in years

whynotsmile99
06-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Dubbed Oldboy almost ruined it for me (on instant watch).

i watch a lot of foreign films on instant watch and they have always been subtitled. sad to hear they are dubbing some of these

guedita
06-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Re: The Cove. Fantastic documentary. Besides the subject material, which is intense and tough to deal with, the movie is shot very well and there's a good story arc. The fact that Japan is pissed about it being shown to it's citizens speaks volumes about the seriousness of the movie's content. People should watch this film!!!

Geno_g
06-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Re: The Cove. Fantastic documentary. Besides the subject material, which is intense and tough to deal with, the movie is shot very well and there's a good story arc. The fact that Japan is pissed about it being shown to it's citizens speaks volumes about the seriousness of the movie's content. People should watch this film!!!

I couldn't believe the cove and how bloody it was, and the diver just keeps looking for dead dolphin bodies, such a sad movie but great at the same time...

lunatic core
06-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Watched
From Paris with Love - Starts Slow, but I enjoyed the movie when it got going. Just an excuse to see Travolta act like a badass. Nothing Special

Shutter Island - I think my expectations where too high for this. I liked it, but I wasn't blown away by it like I thought I would be. I was epecting it to be something more memorable I think.

TallGuyCM
06-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Watched
From Paris with Love - Starts Slow, but I enjoyed the movie when it got going. Just an excuse to see Travolta act like a badass.

You just like to watch yourself on screen, be honest.

schoolofruckus
06-10-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm on the fence as to whether or not I want to watch The Cove. It doesn't seem like much of a documentary, honestly - I'm sure it sheds some light as to the extent of dolphin slaughtering in the Japanese fishing trade, but does it really tell you anything you don't know? I mean, am I going to suddenly realize that dolphin-killing is fucked after a lifetime of thinking otherwise? It sounds like it works best as a narrative story that just happens to actually be happening, but even then, it's pretty black-and-white in terms of character morality. I don't know...in spite of all the acclaim, I just don't think it sounds essential.

TallGuyCM
06-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Seven Samurai is one I've been waiting for years for the right time to see, and that time has come - the Egyptian is playing it on Saturday 5/15. Pretty excited.

Been panning back through this thread, and came across this.

...so?

schoolofruckus
06-10-2010, 05:21 PM
I didn't make it. I felt like shit and knew that it would be an endurance test to sit through a four hour movie. I'm now officially waiting for the Criterion blu-ray to drop, which I think happens next month.

chairmenmeow47
06-10-2010, 05:24 PM
i watched no sad songs for me while working from home today. oh man was that fucking SAD. margaret sullivan's voice sounded a LOT like bette davis'. the two women, mary & chris were both amazing. i didn't realize i was watching a young natalie wood until later either. while they did make mary a bit too angelic, i very much enjoyed the movie.

bmack86
06-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I watched Shutter Island today, and I thought it was a really enjoyable psychological thriller. I've enjoyed most of the films Scorsese and Leo have done together, and this was no exception. I think I'll need to watch it again to decide what I think actually happened in the movie, but it was good enough that I'm excited to see it again.

schoolofruckus
06-10-2010, 05:53 PM
I think it's really good technically - the sound design, in particular, was awesome - but honestly, I just found it boring. I liked it better than The Aviator, though. For me, Scorsese and Leo are really hit or miss because I think these two are Scorsese's worst films that I've seen, yet I really liked the other two (Gangs and Departed).

lunatic core
06-10-2010, 05:54 PM
You just like to watch yourself on screen, be honest.

I was actually going to refer to it as the "movie I star in", but I was worried people would miss the joke, because they didn't get it at work.

Also I just finished Legion, and its better than the steaming pile of crap I expected. Rented out of morbid curiousity.

chairmenmeow47
06-10-2010, 06:22 PM
i am watching the horror film that is jesus camp finally. holy shit. how did they get permission to film all of this?!

mountmccabe
06-10-2010, 06:34 PM
I think the people depicted are generally proud of what they're doing and want like-minded folks to join them.

That movie was scary. I had to pause it a couple times.

TallGuyCM
06-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I think it's really good technically - the sound design, in particular, was awesome - but honestly, I just found it boring. I liked it better than The Aviator, though. For me, Scorsese and Leo are really hit or miss because I think these two are Scorsese's worst films that I've seen, yet I really liked the other two (Gangs and Departed).

Yeah, I really didn't care for The Aviator. I don't mind long films, as long as there's a point to them being 2.5 plus hours. But the whole thing just seemed to meander around without much of a purpose.

I've actually never seen Gangs of New York. Commence flogging. ;)

chairmenmeow47
06-10-2010, 06:47 PM
I think the people depicted are generally proud of what they're doing and want like-minded folks to join them.

That movie was scary. I had to pause it a couple times.

so the parents gave permission? i understand the parents wanting to be seen as right or whatever, but it's sad that these kids are being shown this way. i didn't know what the fuck i was talking about at 9, or now for that matter lol.

schoolofruckus
06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I really didn't care for The Aviator. I don't mind long films, as long as there's a point to them being 2.5 plus hours. But the whole thing just seemed to meander around without much of a purpose.

I've actually never seen Gangs of New York. Commence flogging. ;)

You don't get flogged for not having seen Gangs of New York. If you haven't seen Taxi Driver, on the other hand, then you best go cut me a switch.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I have been coming across a disturbing amount of people who have recently seen Taxi Driver and say they hate it. With that particular movie, it really fucking pisses me off.

bmack86
06-10-2010, 10:23 PM
I haven't seen the Aviator, so I guess that's why I can support the Leo/Marty films I've seen. And, I was constantly entertained by Shutter Island. I blame your boredom on your love for all them thar action films Gabe. I think Michael Bay's got something new coming out.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-10-2010, 10:34 PM
I love all of the Leo/Martin movies, Aviator included. I am downright surprised by all of the hate that Shutter Island gets because I thought it was insanely entertaining. It's basically a big budget, beautiful, B-movie.

rage patton
06-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I liked Shutter Island... but the end felt like a cop out to me. And just for the record, I really liked The Aviator as well.

Down Rodeo
06-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I love all of the Leo/Martin movies, Aviator included. I am downright surprised by all of the hate that Shutter Island gets because I thought it was insanely entertaining. It's basically a big budget, beautiful, B-movie.

This.

lunatic core
06-10-2010, 11:50 PM
I just finished The Road. The feel good hit of the year right??
Right??

Seriously the style of the movie isn't out of my comfort zone at all, but it seems like post-apocalyptic movies usually have more going on than an obsession with despair and hopelessness. The ending seemed creepy as well.

TallGuyCM
06-11-2010, 12:25 AM
You don't get flogged for not having seen Gangs of New York. If you haven't seen Taxi Driver, on the other hand, then you best go cut me a switch.

I have indeed seen Taxi Driver. But it was over five years ago, needs a revisit soon.

bmack86
06-11-2010, 12:35 AM
I liked Shutter Island... but the end felt like a cop out to me. And just for the record, I really liked The Aviator as well.

I'm intrigued Josh, how did you interpret the end? When I finished with it, I felt like there was only one way to take it, but then I thought about it for a bit and now I've got two very conflicting views of how to interpret the film.

TallGuyCM
06-11-2010, 01:16 AM
I'm intrigued Josh, how did you interpret the end? When I finished with it, I felt like there was only one way to take it, but then I thought about it for a bit and now I've got two very conflicting views of how to interpret the film.

Can I ask that you guys discuss the ending over PM? I plan on renting it soon and don't want to have the ending ruined. :)

sbessiso
06-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Get Him to the Greek was surprisingly funny. Sort of screeches to a halt near the end with all its schmaltz but still entertaining. And diddy really IS funny in it!

i also rented Shoot Em Up and i just loved it. Everything i want from an action movie! Not 3 minutes into the movie Clive Owen brutally kills someone with a carrot, and it doesnt stop from there. The dialogue had just enough dry wit and the cast was perfect including paul giamatti being deliciously over-the-top evil. It was light on plot and kept going at a brisk pace, im not surprised it was a bomb but this deserves its own cult following. Drinkey if you havent seen it I imagine you would very much enjoy it. This sucker is VIOLENT

lunatic core
06-11-2010, 04:34 AM
And.. I just finished Boondock Saints II - All Saints Day.
I watched this movie with lowered expectations thatnks to a brutal review, and I pretty much got what I wanted from it. The music and editing were pretty bad, but mostly it was an ok trip through a Boondock Saints action ride, and the ending actually left me wanting more. Not something I would own or even likely watch again, but I am glad I rented it.

schoolofruckus
06-11-2010, 08:19 AM

Bingo. I HATE big-budget B-movies - we're now going to rehash a conversation I've previously had regarding movies like Death Proof and The Happening - although let me start out by saying I liked Shutter Island a lot more than those two. It's one of my biggest pet peeves of contemporary cinema - all these masterful filmmakers who think it's some kind of great idea to spend a ton of money to make something purposefully low-grade, so they can "pay homage to the movies they grew up on" or whatever. It's fucking retarded. Now, if one of them actually wanted to go make an actual B-movie - on a B-movie budget - then I would at least have respect for that, although judging by my opinion of Robert Rodriguez it wouldn't necessarily change my opinion of the results. But on top of being boring, I think it's disingenuous to mount some big, comfy, well-paying production - where every problem that arises can be solved with spending rather than the kind of spontaneous ingenuity that real B-movie masters use to navigate their shoots - all in the service of making it appear like you're going down and dirty and back to your roots.

I think you were kidding, Bryan, but I'd honestly rather rewatch either Transformers movie over the ones listed above.

schoolofruckus
06-11-2010, 08:22 AM
I just finished The Road. The feel good hit of the year right??
Right??

Seriously the style of the movie isn't out of my comfort zone at all, but it seems like post-apocalyptic movies usually have more going on than an obsession with despair and hopelessness. The ending seemed creepy as well.

It was just boring. I've seen many great movies that were longer, slower, and more bleak; the problem with The Road is that there's no life to it. There's nothing going on inside the characters that isn't explicitly spelled out.

schoolofruckus
06-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Get Him to the Greek was surprisingly funny. Sort of screeches to a halt near the end with all its schmaltz but still entertaining. And diddy really IS funny in it!

i also rented Shoot Em Up and i just loved it. Everything i want from an action movie! Not 3 minutes into the movie Clive Owen brutally kills someone with a carrot, and it doesnt stop from there. The dialogue had just enough dry wit and the cast was perfect including paul giamatti being deliciously over-the-top evil. It was light on plot and kept going at a brisk pace, im not surprised it was a bomb but this deserves its own cult following. Drinkey if you havent seen it I imagine you would very much enjoy it. This sucker is VIOLENT

I thought Shoot 'Em Up was pretty successful at what it wanted to do. I don't really ever want to watch it again, but it worked on its own terms.

wmgaretjax
06-11-2010, 08:37 AM
all these masterful filmmakers who think it's some kind of great idea to spend a ton of money to make something purposefully low-grade

There is nothing low grade about Death Proof. And there is a big difference between making something intentionally low in quality, and something that shares stylistic similarities to older, low quality films. The market is oversaturated with these kinds of knockoffs... Tarantino might be the reason for that, but he's also making the best films of that kind.

bmack86
06-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Good. Use your aggressive feelings, Gabe. Let the hate flow through you.

schoolofruckus
06-11-2010, 09:49 AM
There is nothing low grade about Death Proof. And there is a big difference between making something intentionally low in quality, and something that shares stylistic similarities to older, low quality films. The market is oversaturated with these kinds of knockoffs... Tarantino might be the reason for that, but he's also making the best films of that kind.

It's totally low-grade. And your last point is why I think it's particularly egregious from Tarantino. He's always been the guy who elevates ostensibly schlocky material to great heights - because he writes amazing characters. But what is there to the characters in Death Proof? They're absolutely empty and boring. Their conversations have zero of the flavor and intrigue of those in his other films, and as a result, I was done with Death Proof by the time Zoe Bell even got onscreen.

wmgaretjax
06-11-2010, 10:01 AM
I'll take the characters in Death Proof over Jackie Brown any day of the week. Maybe I'm crazy, but I loved Death Proof. I was too stoned to remember the condensed version, but the DVD release kept me engaged easily.

schoolofruckus
06-11-2010, 10:48 AM
I'll take the characters in Death Proof over Jackie Brown any day of the week. Maybe I'm crazy, but I loved Death Proof. I was too stoned to remember the condensed version, but the DVD release kept me engaged easily.

I think you're crazy to take Death Proof over Jackie Brown, yes. I think Jackie Brown is sometimes overrated (I've heard people say it's Tarantino's best film), but I love it to death.

I.F.A.
06-11-2010, 10:52 AM
^ I don't know if I'd say that it's Tarantino's best, but Jackie Brown is probably my favorite of Tarantino's films. And, I understand why people like it, but I just couldn't get into Death Proof.

wmgaretjax
06-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Jackie Brown is boring, but there are some great moments. Death Proof is a riot, but ultra-shallow. Both are minor films from him. I'll leave it at that.

amyzzz
06-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Boring? Come on, it has great character development in between the great moments.

Down Rodeo
06-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Jackie Brown is indeed great. Sorry Jared.

chairmenmeow47
06-11-2010, 12:18 PM
jackie brown is my favourite to re-watch. it's the best story without gimmicks and a bunch of monologues that just feel like quentin tarentino ramblings about his thoughts on coffee and shit like that.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-11-2010, 12:21 PM
The morethat i think about and discuss Tarantino with people, the more I realize that i like all of his films almost equally. He makes some great fucking movies.

I.F.A.
06-11-2010, 12:22 PM
jackie brown is my favourite to re-watch. it's the best story without gimmicks and a bunch of monologues that just feel like quentin tarentino ramblings about his thoughts on coffee and shit like that.

Ha, you nailed it. I think that's probably because it's based on an outside source (Rum Punch, by Elmore Leonard), rather than being an original script that he came up with. Tarantino's great, don't get me wrong, but he can get a little to self-satisfied with the observational tangents and esoteric references that he pulls out. That's my take, anyway.

Though, Kill Bill is probably my favorite rewatch.

wmgaretjax
06-11-2010, 12:29 PM
the two people whose taste are most at odds with mine and the two whose taste are closest aligned with mine disagree with me... i feel strange.

Alchemy
06-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Death Proof is the only thing from Tarantino that I don't care to watch again. The second half of it wasn't too bad, but it was a little too silly for me. I love Jackie Brown, but probably not as much as the rest. Kill Bill is also my favorite Tarantino to re-watch, but I think Inglourious Basterds might be his best work (in my opinion). I was blown away by it.

full on idle
06-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Inglorious Basterds hit me like a baseball bat to the skull.

paulb
06-11-2010, 05:20 PM
What movie should I rent tonight? Lookin for something good, suspenseful?

stuporfly
06-11-2010, 05:38 PM
What movie should I rent tonight? Lookin for something good, suspenseful?

Strangers on a Train

paulb
06-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Strangers on a Train

good choice, seen it.... Have u seen Charade? I always loved that film.

corbo
06-11-2010, 06:05 PM
watched a lot of Luis Buñuel Films last week
"that obscure object of desire", "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie", "the exterminating angel", "simon of the desert", "belle du jour". all awesome films!

my favorite one out of that bunch was the exterminating angel -
and odd, dark, and funny film about a group of wealthy individuals who
for some inexplicable reason are not able to leave a room. i loved it for its weirdness (there's bears, sheep, a walking ghost hand, a lady that carries chicken feet in her purse, etc etc) i still don't know what message he was trying to get across, does it even have one? i won't bother trying to get meaning out of it. i really enjoyed it though as i did the other films i mentioned.
will watch some more Luis Buñuel this weekend!

SoulDischarge
06-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I'll second the sentiment of Jackie Brown not being his best but being my favorite of his. 80% of that is probably due to Pam Grier. Bitch got presence. If you don't enjoy Death Proof you probably didn't drink enough before watching it.

The Exterminating Angel is one of my favorite Bunuel films as well. And yeah, it has meaning.

I watched Time Of The Wolf yesterday. One of the better Haneke films I've seen, although I kind of zoned out in the last half hour and stopped picking up on things. Still, he just let the characters just react to a morally ambiguous landscape instead of setting up some big point of chastising the audience for some moral shortcoming on their behalf, which is usually my main complaint with his films. So if you were annoyed by Funny Games but want to give Haneke another chance, this might be a good film to check out. I have no idea what the ending tracking shot was supposed to imply.

schoolofruckus
06-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Awesome. It's in the top 3 or 4 on my Netflix queue, so hopefully I will get to it soon.

Did you guys hear about the latest batch of Criterion titles that are going out of print? Discreet Charms and Object of Desire are on the list, as are three other Bunuels:

Billy Liar
Bob le flambeur
Diary of A Chambermaid
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Kind Hearts and Coronets
The Man Who Fell to Earth (DVD and Blu-ray editions)
The Milky Way
The Phantom of Liberty
That Obscure Object of Desire
Touchez pas au grisbi
A Woman Is a Woman

So Corbo, if you weren't watching copies that you owned on this recent binge, you should probably get to purchasing.

TallGuyCM
06-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Watched Righteous Kill this afternoon. Meh.

corbo
06-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up School. I was hoping for Blu-Ray releases of these, but i'm guessing that won't be for a loooong while. shame.

The Exterminating Angel is one of my favorite Bunuel films as well. And yeah, it has meaning.

i get what he was trying to say about the wealthy by showing how they reacted by being put in that situation. i just don't get the metaphor of not being able to leave the room. the same thing again at the end with the religious people.

Down Rodeo
06-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Shit, well good thing I already have Phantom of Liberty and That Obscure Object of Desire. I guess I need to buy Discreet Charm while I can.

HowToDisappear
06-11-2010, 11:28 PM
I've had The Machinist on my instant queue forever and finally got around to watching it. I recall reading how Bale lost weight for the part, but my god, after actually seeing it, what kind of crazy person does that to himself for a film role? Holy shit, I surprised he didn't drop dead. He was great, though.

paulb
06-12-2010, 12:03 AM
ended up renting Goodfellas

Down Rodeo
06-12-2010, 12:35 AM
^ Excellent choice....on a related note, I watched Gomorrah on Netflix Instant tonight. Very good, gritty film about organized crime in Naples, Italy. I know it's an overused device to depict "realistic" violence in crime films these days, but the violence in this film was truly frightening because it felt like it was actually happening.

roberto73
06-12-2010, 04:37 AM
I've had The Machinist on my instant queue forever and finally got around to watching it. I recall reading how Bale lost weight for the part, but my god, after actually seeing it, what kind of crazy person does that to himself for a film role? Holy shit, I surprised he didn't drop dead. He was great, though.

The even crazier thing is he apparently had to bulk up right up away for Batman Begins. If memory serves, he gained something like 100 pounds in six months, and of course, given the role, it wasn't just six months of eating pizza and donuts. My guess is it's tough to build muscle when you've already wasted most of the existing muscle away.

chairmenmeow47
06-12-2010, 09:22 AM
HTD, i wondered the same thing about tom hanks in castaway. nuts.

started watching I.O.U.S.A. i think it's called last night. financial documentaries make my friday night!!!!

HowToDisappear
06-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Oh no. This was worse. He looked like a holocaust survivor. I was horrified. Yet, he somehow still remained handsome. That's nuts.

TallGuyCM
06-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Just got home from the marathon that was Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle this afternoon and evening.

It was a hell of a lot to absorb, but surprisingly wasn't that exhausting to do the whole thing in one day. The standout of the 5 was definitely Cremaster 3, which was really excellent.

I went out of my way not to read up on it too much ahead of time, so that I wouldn't have other opinions telling me how to watch/interpret the films. And now that I have a bit, it's obvious that there was a ton of shit going on that I didn't necessary catch onto.

It's definitely something I'd like to do again in a few years, I'm really a novice when it comes to experience with film. Especially compared to a lot of you on here, and I think I'd get a lot more out of it sometime in the not so distant future.

They also added another project of Barney's, De Lama Lamina, to the end of Parts 4&5. I figured I might as well stay and watch it, and that turned out to be a poor choice. It wasn't very good at all.

lunatic core
06-13-2010, 12:43 AM

50 cent in new movie
http://i45.tinypic.com/14lk0mq.jpg

sbessiso
06-13-2010, 04:21 AM
he looks like a local South Beach crackhead

Sushov23
06-13-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm assuming most of you have seen the documentary Kill Your Idols, and I wanted to ask what did you all think of it?

wmgaretjax
06-13-2010, 08:49 AM
They also added another project of Barney's, De Lama Lamina, to the end of Parts 4&5. I figured I might as well stay and watch it, and that turned out to be a poor choice. It wasn't very good at all.

Was this the long version of the Destricted film with the dude masturbating with the giant machinery? I liked parts of the short version, but it already felt a little lengthy... So unless stuff was added, I can't imagine it being worth your time given how exhausted you'd be.

schoolofruckus
06-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Chris, I applaud your commitment to seeing the whole cycle at once. I was on the fence earlier this week, and then I forgot until I got your text yesterday. But your reviews have proven even further that I need to try to catch at least some of these films over the next five days.

TallGuyCM
06-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Was this the long version of the Destricted film with the dude masturbating with the giant machinery?

That's the one. Lots and lots of unnecessary black penis.

TallGuyCM
06-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Chris, I applaud your commitment to seeing the whole cycle at once. I was on the fence earlier this week, and then I forgot until I got your text yesterday. But your reviews have proven even further that I need to try to catch at least some of these films over the next five days.

Thanks, Gabe. I had to get up at 6 this morning for work, and was tempted yesterday to just skip out after Part 3 and catch 4&5 later this week. But I was already deep into the mindset of the whole thing, and am extremely glad that I stuck around.

Here's how I'd rank each film, off the top of my head:

3, 2, 5, 1, 4.

And for those who have never seen any of the films, it's really hard to compare it to other works/describe what it's like. But if I had to, I guess I could say that in my experience only David Lynch has been capable of thinking up the kind of twisted yet captivating and very surreal visuals that frequented Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle.

But even that's not a good comparison.

daxton
06-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Death Proof is the only thing from Tarantino that I don't care to watch again. The second half of it wasn't too bad, but it was a little too silly for me. I love Jackie Brown, but probably not as much as the rest. Kill Bill is also my favorite Tarantino to re-watch, but I think Inglourious Basterds might be his best work (in my opinion). I was blown away by it.

I liked it so much better than its counterpart, Planet Terror, but that was just Rodriquez, yeah?

Inglorious Basterds hit me like a baseball bat to the skull.

Shit, I keep forgetting to watch this. Putting it in queue now.

watched a lot of Luis Buñuel Films last week
"that obscure object of desire", "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie", "the exterminating angel", "simon of the desert", "belle du jour". all awesome films!

my favorite one out of that bunch was the exterminating angel -
and odd, dark, and funny film about a group of wealthy individuals who
for some inexplicable reason are not able to leave a room. i loved it for its weirdness (there's bears, sheep, a walking ghost hand, a lady that carries chicken feet in her purse, etc etc) i still don't know what message he was trying to get across, does it even have one? i won't bother trying to get meaning out of it. i really enjoyed it though as i did the other films i mentioned.
will watch some more Luis Buñuel this weekend!

I studied Buñuel in college, but I haven't seen all the ones you mentioned. Viridiana was enjoyable, which you did not mention. If you haven't seen Un Chien Andalou yet, you should. His first, I believe, and Dalí collaborated on it. I'm into Spanish film. I had to write so many analytical essays on them back in the day. Isabel Coixet is pretty amazing, I think. The Secret Life Of Words and My Life Without Me are in English, but she's a Spanish director. Check em out.

SoulDischarge
06-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Lots and lots of unnecessary black penis.

Unheard of!

lunatic core
06-14-2010, 12:03 AM

I love Death Proof, but alot of my love comes from its stellar soundtrack that quickly became my favorite. Tarantino always has great music in his movies, but Death Proof is the only one where I love every single moment of the soundtrack, and some of the songs just melt me.
Kill Bill Vol 1 is still my fav movie of his though.

schoolofruckus
06-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Attention everyone:

Enter the Void will be released in theaters and OnDemand on September 17, 2010.

http://media.ifcfilms.com/images/films/film-detail-topper-image/enter-the-void_970x390.jpg (http://www.ifcfilms.com/films/enter-the-void)

amyzzz
06-14-2010, 10:13 AM
I'll be sure to put that date on my phone. Thanks, Gabe.

bleep
06-14-2010, 10:50 AM
The A Team was absurd, but also very fun. would only recommend if you, like me, watched reruns of the show as a kid. except for Hannibal's accent, i was more than pleased with the cast. Murdock was especially good.

AlecEiffel
06-14-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm assuming most of you have seen the documentary Kill Your Idols, and I wanted to ask what did you all think of it?

I think it's pretty bad. It's too light to really accomplish anything and the bands they chose to represent today's no wave is kind of head scratching. None of them are appropriate. I have to assume that they were just easy for the film makers to get at.

corbo
06-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Godard's 'Breathless' will be playing at the Sunset 5 this Friday it seems.

http://www.laemmle.com/viewmovie.php?mid=5746

Also, thanks Daxton. i'll check those out.

wmgaretjax
06-14-2010, 10:50 PM
many of the artists they chose to represent the avant of today in Kill Your Idols also failed miserably in their attempts or ended up moving towards much more traditional rock. Black Dice are the only band that really represents to me the modern day equivalent of no wave.

schoolofruckus
06-15-2010, 04:24 PM
A movie that I think looks awful: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/neverletmego/

A movie that I think looks good:
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/somewhere/

schoolofruckus
06-15-2010, 04:40 PM
And this one looks like a better version of Hurt Locker:
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/sony/lebanon/

roberto73
06-15-2010, 04:47 PM
A movie that I think looks awful: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/neverletmego/

I'm going to continue to hold out hope for this one because the book on which it's based is just really fucking good. But yeah: if the trailer is anything to go by, I'm going to be monumentally disappointed.

MissingPerson
06-15-2010, 06:56 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/05/We_Live_in_Public_poster.jpg

Internet pioneer does a couple of really interesting online art/entertainment projects that were way ahead of their time, about surveillance and how much of ourselves we let out into the world, then turns the camera on himself in a kind of proto-Big Brother and goes a bit nuts under the pressure of it. The projects he ran were insane, and I've never heard of them before. He lives in Ethiopa now, apparently, as far away from the online world as he could get. Remarkable stuff.

schoolofruckus
06-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks, Gabe. I had to get up at 6 this morning for work, and was tempted yesterday to just skip out after Part 3 and catch 4&5 later this week. But I was already deep into the mindset of the whole thing, and am extremely glad that I stuck around.

Here's how I'd rank each film, off the top of my head:

3, 2, 5, 1, 4.

And for those who have never seen any of the films, it's really hard to compare it to other works/describe what it's like. But if I had to, I guess I could say that in my experience only David Lynch has been capable of thinking up the kind of twisted yet captivating and very surreal visuals that frequented Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle.

But even that's not a good comparison.

I went to check out Cremaster 3, but I had a completely different experience from you. After about 45 minutes of watching vintage cars gang rape another car containing a gaunt dirt woman, I decided it wasn't for me. I'm sure a lot of it is that I'm not in the proper mindset tonight to watch something like this, but I also don't see myself making any real effort to watch this again in the future.

lunatic core
06-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Last night I watched -
Book Of Eli - Liked it, was kinda suprised by the "faith" undertones. Mila Kunis seemed horribly out of place. Wasn't so much her acting, as her looks were way too "pretty" for a post apocalyptic cesspool were nobody uses shampoo. I swear you can see her perfectly highlighted hair way too well in certain scenes in HD. Not something I normally notice.

Youth in Revolt - Loved it. I am an Unapologetic Michael Cera fan though. This role was basically written for him.

Unthinkable - Was suprisingly good. The entire movie is basically about the "Torture to save lives" debate.

TallGuyCM
06-15-2010, 10:45 PM
I went to check out Cremaster 3, but I had a completely different experience from you. After about 45 minutes of watching vintage cars gang rape another car containing a gaunt dirt woman, I decided it wasn't for me. I'm sure a lot of it is that I'm not in the proper mindset tonight to watch something like this, but I also don't see myself making any real effort to watch this again in the future.

Really? So you left after 45 minutes? Well it's definitely bizarre, but that's what I knew I was in for before going. And watching 3 right after 1&2 definitely helped, as far as mindset goes.

And I just looked at the wiki page for Somewhere. And this is what I read and how I reacted:

Directed by Sofia Coppola. Cool.
Starring:
Stephen Dorff. Ok.
Elle Fanning. Ok.
Benicio Del Toro. Very nice.
Michelle Monaghan. Will do.

and then...

Chris Pontius. wtf? LOL.

wmgaretjax
06-15-2010, 11:01 PM

bummer...

TallGuyCM
06-16-2010, 02:03 AM
Watched Moon tonight. Didn't know what to expect, and it was way different than the little I had read about it.

schoolofruckus
06-16-2010, 08:33 AM
I used to have a really stringent rule against walking out of films. But at some point, I realized it does the film more of a disservice for me to watch it with the mindset that I have to endure it - which always tends to heighten my resentment and distaste - than to simply leave and go do something else. The Cremaster film, in particular, is one that I felt would hugely suffer in this regard. It's the kind of work that you really need to approach with an open, accepting frame of mind; in that regard, I think my best chance to appreciate it would have been to jack myself up and do the 1-5 marathon like Chris did last weekend. But even then, my reality is that I rarely have an 8+ hour block to dedicate to watching a film, and I already have Satantango on my shelf - and I am absolutely certain that would be a better usage of my film-watching time.

By the way, I'm watching Satantango next weekend when Jennie goes out of town.

wmgaretjax
06-16-2010, 09:36 AM
report back. that film is a monster. it is absolutely devastating. you are going to be in need of some serious lazer tag and bumper cars once it is done.