PDA

View Full Version : Schoolio's Movie Corner

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

amyzzz
02-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Phoenix area folks...a couple of "good" 70's sleeze double features coming up at MADCAP Theaters.

Feb 12/13-Four Dimensions of Greta (3D) and Alvin Purple (http://www.madcaptheaters.com/events/viewevent.aspx?eid=173)

Feb 26/27- Stunt Rock and Death Race 2000 (http://www.madcaptheaters.com/events/viewevent.aspx?eid=172)
This place is where Harkins Centerpoint used to be? I'm not necessarily interested in 70's sleaze, but it seems like they're grabbing up some other interesting indie movies lately.

SoulDischarge
02-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Just say it. "I hate fun."

schoolofruckus
02-05-2010, 11:53 PM
I saw Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice tonight at LACMA. As with his five previous films, it's a masterpiece of unfiltered spiritual and emotional expression, and among the most drop-to-your-knees-genius visual works ever composed. It's interesting to me that it was this Tarkovsky film which was most like an Antonioni - as opposed to his previous film, the Italian production Nostalghia, which was a collaboration with Antonioni's frequent cowriter Tonino Guerra. But if The Sacrifice shares much thematic ground with the Italian master's multiple (and equally brilliant) ruminations on the increasingly-destructive power of the evolving modern world, Tarkovsky's swan song ultimately takes its own road by offering the main character a shot at redemption.

It's a sad fact to face that I will never have another unseen Andrei Tarkovsky film to dive into. And yet, having blazed through his catalog in the last year, I now have the privilege of having fallen head over heels for a director whose films absolutely demand frequent revisitations. These films do not date, and they will sustain any degree of scrutiny. I can officially say that my holy trinity of film artists (often stated as Antonioni, Cassavetes, and Kubrick) has now become a holy quartet.

bmack86
02-06-2010, 03:35 AM
It's great to hear that Sacrifice and Nostalghia are good. Those are the two I've not yet seen, and I'm excited to track them down.

wmgaretjax
02-06-2010, 08:06 AM
I think I've watched Mirror around 12 or 13 times.

SoulDischarge
02-06-2010, 09:29 AM
I really need to watch that again. It was the first Tarkovsky I've seen and so far the only one that has made me feel the same way about the man that most film dorks do. I need to rewatch Andrei Rublev again at some point as well, but not for awhile.

bmack86
02-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Andrei Rublev is probably the hardest of his to watch, and, besides Ivan's Childhood, it's my least favorite I've seen. It's all relative, since I love all his work, but Rublev is just so much longer and more deliberate.

Mirror is my fave

Down Rodeo
02-06-2010, 07:25 PM
The Sacrifice is incredible. I wish I had the pleasure of seeing it on a big screen...oh well, I got to see The Mirror for the first time that way.

God bless Tarkovsky...I wish there were still filmmakers like him.

wmgaretjax
02-06-2010, 08:07 PM
This might sound kind of strange... But (besides the obvious Bela Tarr, and the dead Kieslowski) the only film maker that the same kind of unyielding dedication to craft and personal process that Tarkovsky had is, in my mind, Haneke. The films are very different, but the scope of the body of work is very similar.

bobert
02-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I think I've watched Mirror around 12 or 13 times.

This brings to mind an interesting question that I was thinking about recently. What is the one movie that commanded the most repeat viewings out of anything you've ever seen? (this question is for everyone, not just Jared)

For me it would have to be Pulp Fiction, I estimate I've watched it at least 25 times in its entirety. The old VHS copy I had really got a workout. That means that I spent over 62 hours - nearly three days of my life watching one movie. This was definitely something I could only have done in my youth, as the older I get the desire to watch movies repeatedly has diminished, and I really only buy movies now to lend out to friends. However, Pulp Fiction is still my favorite movie, and I'm sure the day will come when I'll sit down and give it another look.

schoolofruckus
02-06-2010, 10:33 PM
This might sound kind of strange... But (besides the obvious Bela Tarr, and the dead Kieslowski) the only film maker that the same kind of unyielding dedication to craft and personal process that Tarkovsky had is, in my mind, Haneke. The films are very different, but the scope of the body of work is very similar.

I know we've established my limited exposure to Haneke as well as my distaste for him based on that. But while I understand what you're trying to say in terms of their approach to filmmaking and I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, the incredible disparity between the films from an authorial standpoint leads me say that this comment is sheer lunacy. It's impossible for me to imagine that Tarkovsky's worldview would have ever become as ugly or uncomplicated as the voice behind Funny Games and The White Ribbon.

schoolofruckus
02-06-2010, 10:35 PM
But then again, I just watched Gleaming the Cube and thought it was awesome, so what do I know?

Fucking killer car chase at the end. It brought to mind Death Proof for me, and how underwhelming it was in comparison.

Monklish
02-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Gleaming The Cube is pretty awesome. Fuck your contention about Death Proof though. Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you.

juloxx
02-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Fuck all your pussy movies, best movie in the world right here baby....

http://scienceblogs.com/isisthescientist/upload/2009/01/ask_dr_isis_mr_isis_little_isi/CommandoPoster.jpg

M Sparks
02-06-2010, 11:48 PM
This place is where Harkins Centerpoint used to be? I'm not necessarily interested in 70's sleaze, but it seems like they're grabbing up some other interesting indie movies lately.

That's the place. I haven't been yet, but have been keeping an eye on it.

I've been resisting the new 3D craze...I'm one of the last to have not see Avitar. But I might have to go next weekend to see some natural 70's 3D Eurotrashboobs. And Alvin Purple was featured in that "Not Quite Hollywood" documentary, so I've been curious to see it. I think I need to find someone to go with, though. If I go alone, I'd feel creepy.

I'm also a little worried about some other "natural 70's" things that might come spilling out of the screen.

Death Race 2000 just plain kicks ass, though. I hope I get to go to that...never seen it on the big screen.

paulb
02-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Fuck all your pussy movies, best movie in the world right here baby....

http://scienceblogs.com/isisthescientist/upload/2009/01/ask_dr_isis_mr_isis_little_isi/CommandoPoster.jpg

easily one of Arnie's best.... behind T2

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-07-2010, 12:14 AM
This brings to mind an interesting question that I was thinking about recently. What is the one movie that commanded the most repeat viewings out of anything you've ever seen? (this question is for everyone, not just Jared)

For me it would have to be Pulp Fiction, I estimate I've watched it at least 25 times in its entirety. The old VHS copy I had really got a workout. That means that I spent over 62 hours - nearly three days of my life watching one movie. This was definitely something I could only have done in my youth, as the older I get the desire to watch movies repeatedly has diminished, and I really only buy movies now to lend out to friends. However, Pulp Fiction is still my favorite movie, and I'm sure the day will come when I'll sit down and give it another look.

I have seen the following movies easily well over 100 times, if not close to 200 or 300 times: The Crow, Big Trouble In Little China, Aliens, Robocop, The Goonies, Transformers:The movie (the original from 1985)

Because of this I have a hard time even thinking about movies I may have only seen 25 times

wmgaretjax
02-07-2010, 07:38 AM
I know we've established my limited exposure to Haneke as well as my distaste for him based on that. But while I understand what you're trying to say in terms of their approach to filmmaking and I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, the incredible disparity between the films from an authorial standpoint leads me say that this comment is sheer lunacy. It's impossible for me to imagine that Tarkovsky's worldview would have ever become as ugly or uncomplicated as the voice behind Funny Games and The White Ribbon.

It's not really similarity in worldview that i'm referring to. Also, let's leave Funny Games out because it's gonna be a fairly difficult one to rationalize in light of my statement without you having seen Benny's Video.

As far as authorship though, they (along with Kieslowski and Tarr) are filmmakers who essentially are making the same film over and over again. It's also the lack of compromise. However, I can understand how this might seem crazy given how thematically and aesthetically different their approaches are. We need you to watch more of his films...

SoulDischarge
02-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Watch The Piano Teacher. That's the most palatable and least annoying of his films.

wmgaretjax
02-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I would never have thought to call The Piano Teacher palatable... heh.

SoulDischarge
02-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Well, you know, relative to other Haneke films, not relative to Judd Apatow or whatever. It's fairly straightforward in comparison to Code Inconnu or Cache.

wmgaretjax
02-07-2010, 02:10 PM
I was speaking less to how easy it is to follow the themes and plot, and more to the explicit content in the film. I just sat here for a minute or two thinking about the last few scenes in relationship to the word palatable.

SoulDischarge
02-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Oh, right, true. I just figure nothing's really shocking to the modern film fan anymore. It's still a pretty rough viewing experience though, content wise.

Down Rodeo
02-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I had my introduction into Jia Zhangke's films last night with Still Life, from a couple years back. The film was pretty excellent, with some downright gorgeous compositions and an interesting examination of the Three Gorges Dam project taking place in China. Can anyone recommend some of his older films that I should check out?

schoolofruckus
02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
So I just got back from An Education, which was staggeringly mediocre.

To be honest, most of it was actually decent. It's an engaging and well-acted (if naggingly insubstantial) coming of age story, with some rousing superficial ideas about pre-feminism. And then the ending, which positively GORGES on dick. It heaps a mountain of horseshit on the glass coffee table and does a fucking Scarface nose plant right into it. Good christ...I would imagine that if those low rent "Not Another (Whatever) Movie" guys ever make Not Another British Movie, they're just going to lift the last reel of An Education and end the film that way.

M Sparks
02-09-2010, 10:17 PM
I would imagine that if those low rent "Not Another (Whatever) Movie" guys ever make Not Another British Movie, they're just going to lift the last reel of An Education and end the film that way.

To be fair, there was only one "Not Another _______ Movie" movie, and it was actually kind of funny. Certainly 50 x better than Date/Scary/Epic/Disaster/Whatever Movies, which ARE all made by the same couple of douchebags.

Sorry, I am capable of differentiating between different levels of shit...

0KpoqynjV1g

roberto73
02-10-2010, 03:10 AM
So I just got back from An Education, which was staggeringly mediocre.

To be honest, most of it was actually decent. It's an engaging and well-acted (if naggingly insubstantial) coming of age story, with some rousing superficial ideas about pre-feminism. And then the ending, which positively GORGES on dick. It heaps a mountain of horseshit on the glass coffee table and does a fucking Scarface nose plant right into it. Good christ...I would imagine that if those low rent "Not Another (Whatever) Movie" guys ever make Not Another British Movie, they're just going to lift the last reel of An Education and end the film that way.

I saw this a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, but I can't for the life of me even remember the ending. Which probably proves your point.

Even so, I think Carey Mulligan's Oscar nomination is well-deserved, and I wouldn't have been disappointed to see Alfred Molina with one, too. Peter Sarsgaard's British accent, though? Ridiculous. Pip pip, cheerio.

schoolofruckus
02-10-2010, 07:36 AM
To be fair, there was only one "Not Another _______ Movie" movie, and it was actually kind of funny. Certainly 50 x better than Date/Scary/Epic/Disaster/Whatever Movies, which ARE all made by the same couple of douchebags.

I love that you take the time to point that out. But fair enough.

I saw this a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, but I can't for the life of me even remember the ending. Which probably proves your point.

Even so, I think Carey Mulligan's Oscar nomination is well-deserved, and I wouldn't have been disappointed to see Alfred Molina with one, too. Peter Sarsgaard's British accent, though? Ridiculous. Pip pip, cheerio.

No, you probably just don't agree with me. This ending was bad enough that I think I'll remember it for a while. Put it this way: I'm frantically searching for online evidence that Nick Hornby had Spielberg ghostwrite the ending.

bmack86
02-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Maybe I'm just bitter about rereading his books, but I think that a horrid ending probably fits Nick Hornby very well. He's the man who said that listening to Kid A as an adult was an insult because Adults don't want to hear experimental music.

schoolofruckus
02-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Well, judging by An Education, he probably thinks that they should have included "Creep" - in its original album version - as the final song on Kid A.

That's not to liken the bulk of An Education to Kid A by ANY means, nor is it really an indictment of "Creep". It's simply to say that Hornby may have wanted Kid A to undo all of its accomplishments in the final chapter.

amyzzz
02-10-2010, 10:04 AM
I generally really like Nick Hornby -- are you saying I shouldn't bother with An Education? I almost went to see it yesterday.

PotVsKtl
02-10-2010, 10:07 AM
I thought the majority of An Education was very effective and where the film chose to lay its allegiance in any given scene was continually interesting. The end, however - specifically the "Getting Smart Now!" (Rocky) montage - was just jarringly dumb.

schoolofruckus
02-10-2010, 10:12 AM
I felt the same way for most of it, but the ending had a much more damaging effect for me - it pretty much undid almost all that the film did right. The end result, to me, is that she didn't really get "an education" at all.

HowToDisappear
02-10-2010, 10:16 AM
I really liked An Education. Yes, the ending is hurried and horribly predictable and is a blot on an otherwise enjoyable film with excellent performances. Carey Mulligan, Alfred Molina, and the woman who played the ditzy blonde were just terrific.

I just appreciated the fact that it was a coming-of-age movie about a SMART girl, for chrissakes.

juloxx
02-10-2010, 10:26 AM
http://www.rebelvision.net/Lethal-Weapon-2.jpg

schoolofruckus
02-10-2010, 10:27 AM
I appreciated that as well, but it's also why I'm so mad at the ending. It submarines and ultimately invalidates a character journey that deserved far better.

The only recent finale I can remember as being worse than this was Gran Torino, but that whole film was an abortion.

paulb
02-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Is Precious any good? I got an Oscars For Your Consideration dvd copy and am gonna watch it tonight....worth my time?

Down Rodeo
02-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Yes, it's very good. Pretty harrowing but the performances are terrific.

paulb
02-10-2010, 09:17 PM
holy shit... watching Precious, i havent been this uneasy since Antichrist...

sbessiso
02-11-2010, 02:43 AM
holy shit... watching Precious, i havent been this uneasy since Antichrist...

I just cant bring myself to watch the movie knowing what its about. It sounds way too depressing :(

paulb
02-11-2010, 09:14 AM
it is, incredibly depressing! I cant believe the way people treat each other in the movie.

PotVsKtl
02-11-2010, 09:27 AM
I can't believe in fiction either!

Mr.Nipples
02-11-2010, 09:32 AM
haha

Hannahrain
02-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Anyone opinionated enough in either direction to tell me whether or not I should make an effort to catch any of these (http://festivals.nwfilm.org/piff33/schedule/russia/)?

schoolofruckus
02-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Just the Russian ones? Or do you want opinions on the films from other nations as well?

schoolofruckus
02-11-2010, 11:26 AM
I'll answer anyway. Here are two that I've seen (and admired very much), and three others I've been waiting for:

City of Life and Death (this was on my Best of 2009 list)
Police, Adjective (this was also on my Best of 2009 list)
The Good, The Bad, The Weird
Mother
A Prophet

wmgaretjax
02-11-2010, 11:27 AM
REMBRANDT’S J’ACCUSE by PETER GREENAWAY

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-11-2010, 11:49 AM
The Good, The Bad, The Weird

when the fuck is this getting a US dvd release? I've heard nothing but great things about it

AlecEiffel
02-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Not soon enough, god damnit.

schoolofruckus
02-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Presumably sometime after IFC releases it OnDemand on March 31st / in theaters on April 9th (http://www.ifcfilms.com/films/the-good-the-bad-the-weird).

Hannahrain
02-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Just the Russian ones? Or do you want opinions on the films from other nations as well?

The Russian ones are relevant to my studies, so they're the priority. I doubt I'll make it out for any of the others (although Cinema 21, the venue they seem to be utilizing the least, is right on my neighborhood's main drag so there's at least a fighting a chance for an impromptu visit). Thank you, though, for weighing in. If I do make it out recreationally I will consult your list for viewing guidance and general comfort in life.

REMBRANDT’S J’ACCUSE by PETER GREENAWAY

I've actually been planning to watch this one at home this weekend. You should probably just come hang out. I'll get VooDoo.

AlecEiffel
02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Presumably sometime after IFC releases it OnDemand on March 31st / in theaters on April 9th (http://www.ifcfilms.com/films/the-good-the-bad-the-weird).

YES! About time.

schoolofruckus
02-11-2010, 01:00 PM
The Russian ones are relevant to my studies, so they're the priority. I doubt I'll make it out for any of the others (although Cinema 21, the venue they seem to be utilizing the least, is right on my neighborhood's main drag so there's at least a fighting a chance for an impromptu visit). Thank you, though, for weighing in. If I do make it out recreationally I will consult your list for viewing guidance and general comfort in life.

I've actually been planning to watch this one at home this weekend. You should probably just come hang out. I'll get VooDoo.

In that case, it's unfortunate that you weren't able to attend the Tarkovsky retrospective in Los Angeles last month. It's similarly unfortunate that I (and so far, no one else) have no insight into the three Russian films at PIFF.

schoolofruckus
02-11-2010, 01:01 PM
YES! About time.

Yeah, I've been hearing about it for over a year now. IFC is fast becoming a national treasure with their evolution into the premiere US distributor of important foreign films.

Hannahrain
02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
In that case, it's unfortunate that you weren't able to attend the Tarkovsky retrospective in Los Angeles last month. It's similarly unfortunate that I (and so far, no one else) have no insight into the three Russian films at PIFF.

I'll take any general Russian film recommendations if people want to give them. Tarkovsky is certainly a given, but I'm more than a little out of my element here.

schoolofruckus
02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm guessing you've also got Sergei Eisenstein on your list? I haven't seen any of his films, but I know he's also one of the pioneers of Societ cinema.

I'm sure Jared will be here shortly to add several other names to the list.

wmgaretjax
02-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Sokurov
Kalatozov
Chukhrai

the film 4 by Ilya Khrjanovsky is one of my favorites.

Hannahrain
02-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks very much, gentlemen. Netflixed.

lickety_spit
02-11-2010, 05:07 PM
jennifer from back to the future = way hotter than jennifer from back to the future II

eagle vs shark is cute.

wmgaretjax
02-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Hunger comes out on Criterion next week. SEE IT.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-11-2010, 05:17 PM
this is funny and well done

H5KfHEoZDKI

Down Rodeo
02-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Hunger comes out on Criterion next week. SEE IT.

It's already near the top of my queue. I'm excited to see it.

sbessiso
02-12-2010, 02:52 AM
this made me lol

But the rest of A Puerto Rican Werewolf in London -- I mean The Wolfman -- is done in by a fatal lack of purpose.

PotVsKtl
02-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Enter the Void opening credits:

http://betaplayer.dailymotion.com/video/xc708h_enter-the-void-extrait-du-film-sort_shortfilms

JewFace
02-13-2010, 02:35 AM
I know this is old, but I was dragged to see Nine tonight. My God it was even worse than I imagined. What a dreadful, dreadful film. The only positive thing I can say about it is that Fergie's tits looked nice. I don't know why anyone would expect anything other than this turgid film, though. Marshall did a great job with Chicago because the original source material was a brilliant, dark, funny musical with a great score. Nine, the original musical, was already a dull, limp affair with an uninspired score. It was never going to become a good film. I liked the capsule review of it I read in the NY Times last week. You know, in which the critics pare down their original reviews to a short paragraph. This is A.O. Scott's capsule review in its entirety...

'NINE' (PG-13, 1:50) Nein! (Scott)

Down Rodeo
02-13-2010, 03:37 PM
For any Lars von Trier fans out there with Comcast digital cable, his debut film, The Element of Crime, is playing in the Free On Demand section until March. I highly recommend you take advantage.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2010, 04:34 PM
if it comes with more brakhage... i don't care. i'll buy it again. i have some good brakhage/tarkovsky anecdotes i'll have to post here when i get a minute.

The new Brakhage release from Criterion is a second volume of the anthology. And also, a repackaging of the first volume and the new one together (http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/722).

bleep
02-13-2010, 04:45 PM
TCM aired Roman Holiday today and i just had to watch it again. no matter how many times i’ve watched the film, the ending still manages to tug at my heartstrings.

also saw Jean Renoir’s The River last night. despite its annoyances (amateurish acting, rose-tinted portrayal of colonialism, grating narration), this film still had its charms. it’s gorgeously shot, and it was a pleasure watching the simple and sweet story unfold. its old-time innocence reminded me somewhat of this odd little film called Lili that i unabashedly love.

i have Deepa Metha’s Water queued up for tonight. the only movie from Mehta’s trilogy that i’ve seen is Fire.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Jen and I just watched District 9. I thought it was fucking great - original and completely compelling. I'm on board for the sequel that is almost certain to be made.

mountmccabe
02-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks very much, gentlemen. Netflixed.

Netflix instant has Sokurov's Alexandra and Tarkovsky's Solyaris.

The latter being a relatively new addition; they apparently added a fuckload of Criterion foreign films; several each by Bergman, Fellini, Kurosawa... my instant queue just bulged. I mean, sure, I've seen a number of these before but we're talking in the 90s, not even the 00s.

ivankay
02-14-2010, 12:42 AM
I know this is old, but I was dragged to see Nine tonight. My God it was even worse than I imagined. What a dreadful, dreadful film. The only positive thing I can say about it is that Fergie's tits looked nice. I don't know why anyone would expect anything other than this turgid film, though. Marshall did a great job with Chicago because the original source material was a brilliant, dark, funny musical with a great score. Nine, the original musical, was already a dull, limp affair with an uninspired score. It was never going to become a good film. I liked the capsule review of it I read in the NY Times last week. You know, in which the critics pare down their original reviews to a short paragraph. This is A.O. Scott's capsule review in its entirety...

i wish i heeded this advice. The cheap theater by my place of residence was playing A Single Man. i thought it was pretty good and will go with earlier postings here that Colin Firth is great. Nine was playing about a half hour later, so i figured i'd give the theater 3 more of my bucks to see if it was bad as all that. Sure was. There were more than a few points where i was thinking "Ah, this is pretty shitty. Just go home. You got your $3 seeing Penelope Cruise look smokin'" Fellini should rise from the dead and slap the shit out of the people that created Nine (play and movie).

SoulDischarge
02-14-2010, 02:21 AM
If Fellini, by some chance, were to rise from the dead, I'm pretty sure he'd waste all his time cruising BBW websites.

clumsy342
02-14-2010, 09:06 AM

http://betaplayer.dailymotion.com/video/xc708h_enter-the-void-extrait-du-film-sort_shortfilms

AAAHHHH!!!!

I want to see this so badly.

ivankay
02-14-2010, 09:33 AM
If Fellini, by some chance, were to rise from the dead, I'm pretty sure he'd waste all his time cruising BBW websites.

Is that ever a waste of time?

amyzzz
02-14-2010, 12:48 PM
I saw Oldboy on Netflix last night, but the cheesy dubbing took away from the intensity of the plot. I want to watch it again with subtitles. Just be forewarned if you stream it from Netflix instantly.

LooseAtTheZoo
02-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I read a review about Nine that I felt summed up it's imperfections very well. In general, the critic talked about how in a movie that was supposed to glorify old-time moviemaking, the story-telling device abandoned/locked down the viewer in a theater world instead.

Gribbz
02-14-2010, 02:36 PM
I saw Oldboy on Netflix last night, but the cheesy dubbing took away from the intensity of the plot. I want to watch it again with subtitles. Just be forewarned if you stream it from Netflix instantly.

I couldn't get passed the dubbing. So terrible. Netflix should offer subtitles. Luckily I found the regular version on youtube.

mountmccabe
02-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Strange, all of the foreign films I've gotten through Netflix Instant have been subtitled.

SoulDischarge
02-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Same here. It's probably because that one was so popular in the US compared to most foreign movies.

Gribbz
02-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Strange, all of the foreign films I've gotten through Netflix Instant have been subtitled.

Hmm. I didn't see an option. I'm on a friend's netflix account... not 100% familiar with the website.

bmack86
02-14-2010, 03:29 PM
So, I'm watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. I didn't see the first one, and after this there's no way you can get me to watch it. Quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen.

rage patton
02-14-2010, 03:58 PM
So, I'm watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. I didn't see the first one, and after this there's no way you can get me to watch it. Quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen.

Believe it or not, the first is far worse. Imagine Revenge of the Fallen... but with less robots and more Shia LeBouf/Megan Fox.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-14-2010, 05:23 PM
i have read many negative reviews on various foreign films on Netflix about the dubbing problem. I guess you just have to get the disc when that's the case.

mountmccabe
02-14-2010, 07:55 PM
I just rewatched Solaris and that had the subtitles. I have previously watched The 400 Blows and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Silent Light and another Reygadas film and Let the Right One In and who knows what else and they all had subtitles.

Hey, I just went to the Netflix site and this is what they said

Q:
Can I see subtitles or closed captions while watching movies instantly on my PC?
A:
A: Foreign-language movies streamed to your PC, Mac, or TV have subtitles “burned in” to the video (“open captions”).

So wtf. This is always, without exception, what I have seen.

mountmccabe
02-14-2010, 07:59 PM

I haven't seen the 2nd one but I can confirm that the 1st one is awful. I watched it once in the theater because my brother kinda dragged me and I sort of enjoyed it for what it was.

I watched it again, with the Riff Trax commentary and nearly died laughing and was dumbfounded that I was able to sit through it without the commentary.

So, basically, what I'm saying is you should watch it with the Riff Trax commentary (which one should be able to find online in a version edited into the video file)

schoolofruckus
02-14-2010, 11:18 PM

Holy fucking shit. That makes Godard's title sequences look like Spielberg.

SoulDischarge
02-15-2010, 12:08 AM
It also could be a Justice video. Just sayin'.

caco0283
02-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Holy fucking shit. That makes Godard's title sequences look like Spielberg.

That was crazy I cant wait to see that film

Just got done watching King of Kong pretty good doc

xMJZ-_bJKdI

roberto73
02-15-2010, 09:22 AM
The 2010 Oscar race doesn't get serious until June.

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/rmonty73/Grownups.jpg

sbessiso
02-15-2010, 09:23 AM
so....much....photoshop

SoulDischarge
02-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Even with the addition of a beard, I still want to scrape Kevin James' face off with a crowbar and toss it in the Cuyahoga River.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Just finished watching Maria Full of Grace...what an amazingly tense film. The airplane scene is particular was making my palms sweat.

very well made.

AlecEiffel
02-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Coming to Syfy Channel: Roger Corman's SHARKTOPUS!

http://reporter.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83451d69069e20120a89ca37b970b-800wi

SoulDischarge
02-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Amazing.

sbessiso
02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
I saw It's Complicated today and it was so much better than I anticipated. There were genuine laugh out loud moments throughout and Alec Baldwin was easily and by far the best part of the movie (but Meryl is such a class act and just really terrific to watch). Like an idiot, I skipped out on maybe the last half hour so I could sneak into The Wolfman which was so much worse than I expected. Benicio and Anthony Hopkins were great, the production was really impressive and the special effects decent but it was the script was just terrible, Emily Blunt was awful and it was kind of boring too. Joe Johnston had a handful of really breathtaking shots and he really delivered on the gore, but ultimately it was just so mediocre.

On a sidenote, I dont believe for one second that was Benicio underneath that wolf makeup. There was so much, it could've been anyone. Just like how they "say" it really is Toby Maguire underneath that spider-man mask for some of the shots. BS

malcolmjamalawesome
02-16-2010, 05:37 PM
So 2 great lead actors, 1 bad one, impressive production, breathtaking shots, good gore, decent special effects .... but still it sucked?

sbessiso
02-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Something like that, yeah. Just very medicore, but I would say netflixable

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2010, 05:49 PM
"This movie is so much worse than i thought but you should still rent it."

...does not compute

sbessiso
02-16-2010, 05:52 PM
I had high hopes for it (like a dumbass) and it just didnt really deliver what I expected. But it wasnt ALL bad, like I said just mediocre

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2010, 05:53 PM
i really wanted to have high hopes for it, but in the end the trailers left me cold.

I think i'm much more interested in really badass, feral, monstery werewolves than I am in wolfmen

sbessiso
02-16-2010, 05:55 PM
see the trailers i thought were pretty fantastic and I always try to keep expectations low but i thought this was gunna be a slam bang ride. Oh and the final battle was so......i cant even explain it

another sidenote, i forgot how much i love benicio. Why dont i see him in more movies? I feel like the last time was Sin City (but im sure im wrong)

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2010, 05:58 PM
another sidenote, i forgot how much i love benicio. Why dont i see him in more movies? I feel like the last time was Sin City (but im sure im wrong)

I am sure a big part of the that was the amount of time he spent during the filming of Che, which many of us have yet to see

The only other movie he had been in is Things We Lost In the Fire

so, you're not really wrong there

sbessiso
02-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Ahh thats right, Che! Thats on DVD now I believe, should be interesting. Things We Lost In the Fire looked awful

schoolofruckus
02-16-2010, 06:46 PM
He was fucking great in Things We Lost in the Fire; I'd go so far as to say it was one of the best performances of the last decade. Of course, his work was marginalized because the movie around him was pretty weak. Still....it's worth watching just to see him at the top of his game.

Che, on the other hand, is an all-around masterful film (in addition to being a masterful showcase for BDT). The Criterion disc just came out a couple weeks ago. Step to it.

mountmccabe
02-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Che is also on Netflix Instant. Next chance I get, yo.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2010, 08:44 PM
RAWR i dind't know Che was available. I wish Netflix would notify you when saved discs get released

TallGuyCM
02-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Isn't Che like 4+ hours long? You're really gonna watch that all at one sitting at your comp or tv?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2010, 10:56 PM
well, it is divided into two parts

TallGuyCM
02-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Watched 500 Days of Summer the other night. Didn't really care for it.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Oh, have I mentioned here yet that i actually sat through Valentine's Day this weekend?

I was able to sit through it and even chuckled a few times, but if someone were to ask me to write a paper and actually critically analyze it, I could probably describe why it is one of the worst movies ever made

TallGuyCM
02-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Just from the trailer alone, you could tell it was far-fetched. The kid from That 70s Show would NEVER land Anne Hathaway in real life. NEVER.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2010, 11:25 PM
actually you should see how ripped Topher is now. He doesn't really even look like the same person

he already got to be with Scarlett Johannson in a flick, that's more far-fetched to me than Hathaway

EDIT: you've somehow made a negative point about this movie that has myriad ludicrocrous moments and concepts that I didn't have a problem with necessarily

TallGuyCM
02-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Out of respect for Gabe and his thread, I won't start rampantly posting Anne Hathaway pics to prove you wrong. But I'm tempted. Very tempted.

lickety_spit
02-17-2010, 01:00 AM
you guys up for some reggae tonight?

humanoid
02-17-2010, 09:37 AM
I think i'm much more interested in really badass, feral, monstery werewolves than I am in wolfmen

it's okay, you can say that you loved Twilight: New Moon

sbessiso
02-17-2010, 03:16 PM
He was fucking great in Things We Lost in the Fire; I'd go so far as to say it was one of the best performances of the last decade. Of course, his work was marginalized because the movie around him was pretty weak. Still....it's worth watching just to see him at the top of his game.

Che, on the other hand, is an all-around masterful film (in addition to being a masterful showcase for BDT). The Criterion disc just came out a couple weeks ago. Step to it.

Im adding both films to my queue. Interesting to hear that about TWLITF, I should have known Benicio was awesome in it, I just brushed it off as another Halle Berry melodrama

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-17-2010, 04:28 PM
you guys up for some reggae tonight?

Took me a bit to get that. I just rewatched it like 2 months ago. Blues Hammer always especially cracks me the fuck up.

schoolofruckus
02-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Im adding both films to my queue. Interesting to hear that about TWLITF, I should have known Benicio was awesome in it, I just brushed it off as another Halle Berry melodrama

Well, I mean - it is that, so know that going in. It just happens to also feature one world-class performance (and actually, Alison Lohman is good in it too even though she doesn't have a huge role).

Down Rodeo
02-18-2010, 01:29 AM
I just watched Hunger....incredible and harrowing film. I loved the dialogue scene between Bobby Sands and the priest.

Down Rodeo
02-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Anyone checking out Shutter Island tomorrow? I'll be there for sure...Scorsese has yet to let me down with one of his films. This one seems a bit....different from his usual fare.

schoolofruckus
02-20-2010, 12:14 AM
I had a hard time picking my worst movie of 2009, eventually settling on Watchmen. But if I had seen (500) Days of Summer before the end of the year, it would have been my runaway choice. Jesus, what a piece of shit that was. It wasn't all unforgivable - there were a few scenes that had at least a rudimentary emotional understanding of the characters - but FUCK was it bad. The first 30 minutes had me wondering "Is this potentially worse than Juno???" That tells you all you need to know, even if it relatively improved later on.

schoolofruckus
02-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Anyone checking out Shutter Island tomorrow? I'll be there for sure...Scorsese has yet to let me down with one of his films. This one seems a bit....different from his usual fare.

Jen and I are planning to see it on Sunday. Scorsese isn't completely bulletproof to me (The Aviator sucked, and his previous film that seems most Shutter Island-y - that would be Cape Fear - is among my least favorite in his oeuvre), but I will always walk into one of his films with crossed fingers. Even if the trailer (and Leo's Cahstnah-in-Thirteen Wicked Days accent) looks sad.

juloxx
02-20-2010, 12:22 AM
http://loot-ninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/street_fighter.jpg

Monklish
02-20-2010, 12:23 AM
I had a hard time picking my worst movie of 2009, eventually settling on Watchmen. But if I had seen (500) Days of Summer before the end of the year, it would have been my runaway choice. Jesus, what a piece of shit that was. It wasn't all unforgivable - there were a few scenes that had at least a rudimentary emotional understanding of the characters - but FUCK was it bad. The first 30 minutes had me wondering "Is this potentially worse than Juno???" That tells you all you need to know, even if it relatively improved later on.

Dude, there is no fucking way in hell that 500 Days was worse than Watchmen. Please.

juloxx
02-20-2010, 12:28 AM
Watchmen wasnt exactly bad, but I read tha comic and the movie was just such a disappointment compared to the comic. I know I sound like a nerd but the comic was just too dope

lickety_spit
02-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Took me a bit to get that. I just rewatched it like 2 months ago. Blues Hammer always especially cracks me the fuck up.

"if you like authentic blues, you gotta check out Blues Hammer. they're so great." haha. i've been watching this before bed all week.

Down Rodeo
02-20-2010, 01:34 AM
I have to say Shutter Island was pretty dope. It's not prime Scorsese by any means (Gabe's analogy to Cape Fear is pretty apt), but it's a damn fun ride and visually splendid, as most Scorsese films are. The soundtrack is also chock full of avant-garde 20th century music, which I certainly appreciated. It seems like he was going for a Hitchcockian vibe, which I guess we can debate at a later time.

BKsaysAction!
02-20-2010, 01:36 AM
Just got back from Shutter Island and I have to say I liked it. Sure, I'm a sucker for Noirs and it's not scorsese's best, but god was it a beautiful film to look at (the dream sequences alone made the movie for me). I might have to give it a second viewing.

schoolofruckus
02-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Dude, there is no fucking way in hell that 500 Days was worse than Watchmen. Please.

The acting in (500) Days was certainly better than Watchmen (note: so is the acting in your average episode of "Secret Life of the American Teenager"). But otherwise, (500) Days was a disaster. Have you even seen it?

It's the kind of superficial-indie dreamboat, overtly-Graduate-piggybacking romantic movie that made Zack Braff a star. And it wasn't just me - Jen will pardon a hell of a lot of movie flaws if the central love story works, and yet we both kept pausing the film every 15 minutes to talk about how much it sucked. We decided to institute a drinking game towards the end - a shot for every dopey indie music cue. We only had a warm bottle of Seagram's 7 in the house, so after one shot with no chaser we decided to stop. But I said "that's a shame, because there will probably be 6-8 songs over the last 18 minutes of this film". And there were, in fact, six more.

It's also the kind of movie that feels like it was conceived by some token indie kid who's never had a real relationship, but is always starting some Zooey Deschanel thread around here. I'm not talking about any person in particular (I mean it - I can't even name any of the people who have done this), but every three months, it feels like somebody's starting a thread about Zooey, as if they've just discovered somebody that the rest of us didn't notice when we watched Almost Famous ten years ago. Well, now one of those guys is a director, and after this one, he's going to go fuck up Spiderman. I'm really glad I'm not too attached to that character.

The other thing to remember is that I've been an officer in the Joseph Gordon-Levitt fan club for the past 5 years, ever since I saw Mysterious Skin. I genuinely want his movies to be good, because I think he can be a great actor. But when the first scene of the movie that rings even remotely true is the one in which he's fallen in love, and he walks outside in the morning and suddenly breaks into a choreographed dance with a street full of people and a cartoon bird, I start saying thank you prayers for the fact that I'm watching it in a first-story apartment.

Monklish
02-20-2010, 08:47 AM
The acting in (500) Days was certainly better than Watchmen (note: so is the acting in your average episode of "Secret Life of the American Teenager"). But otherwise, (500) Days was a disaster. Have you even seen it?

It's the kind of superficial-indie dreamboat, overtly-Graduate-piggybacking romantic movie that made Zack Braff a star. And it wasn't just me - Jen will pardon a hell of a lot of movie flaws if the central love story works, and yet we both kept pausing the film every 15 minutes to talk about how much it sucked. We decided to institute a drinking game towards the end - a shot for every dopey indie music cue. We only had a warm bottle of Seagram's 7 in the house, so after one shot with no chaser we decided to stop. But I said "that's a shame, because there will probably be 6-8 songs over the last 18 minutes of this film". And there were, in fact, six more.

It's also the kind of movie that feels like it was conceived by some token indie kid who's never had a real relationship, but is always starting some Zooey Deschanel thread around here. I'm not talking about any person in particular (I mean it - I can't even name any of the people who have done this), but every three months, it feels like somebody's starting a thread about Zooey, as if they've just discovered somebody that the rest of us didn't notice when we watched Almost Famous ten years ago. Well, now one of those guys is a director, and after this one, he's going to go fuck up Spiderman. I'm really glad I'm not too attached to that character.

The other thing to remember is that I've been an officer in the Joseph Gordon-Levitt fan club for the past 5 years, ever since I saw Mysterious Skin. I genuinely want his movies to be good, because I think he can be a great actor. But when the first scene of the movie that rings even remotely true is the one in which he's fallen in love, and he walks outside in the morning and suddenly breaks into a choreographed dance with a street full of people and a cartoon bird, I start saying thank you prayers for the fact that I'm watching it in a first-story apartment.

No argument about the fact that it falls into the category of fairly unrealistic indie music romance. That being said, I thought it handled the romance aspect a good deal better than most of its competition in that it went against the initial message of serendipity. You say that it plays out like it's written by a guy who never actually gets laid, but that's kinda exactly the point. Levitt's character in this IS dorks like Boourns or whoever--the idea is that the dude has all these romantic notions in his head and when he finally actually lands a halfway attractive girl who listens to some current indie music he falls madly in love with her and expects they're going to get married.

Nothing about that is unrealistic. That is, in fact, EXACTLY what happens when some girl finally throws a kid like that a stitch of pussy. And then she notices that he's way too in love with her and tries to pull away and it takes him several months to notice what's happening, and finally she goes off and has a real relationship with someone else who isn't a sycophant. Nothing whatsoever about that really played as unrealistic to me. You can say it was uninteresting, unromantic, blah blah blah, but not unrealistic.

I thought the plot device of jumping back and forth through the number of days was intrusive at first but ultimately it made for a decently effective method of time-shift that allowed you to not fuck up the story. Levitt is, as always, annoying as shit, and Zooey is, as always, not much of an actress at all, but whattaya gonna do.

To even contend for a moment that that fucking movie rivals the absolutely bottomless shit show that was Watchmen is out of the question.

corbo
02-20-2010, 09:24 AM
i like the way Los Angeles was shot in (500) Days of Summer. The story wasn't horrible. I do agree with schoolofruckus that the constant indie music interruptions got old after a while. if it didnt try so hard to be a hipster movie i wouldve liked it more.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-20-2010, 09:41 AM
I watched Moon last night...it was not what i was expecting at all! I really liked it. Sam Rockwell is so great.

Monklish
02-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Also, I watched Psych with Kevin Spacey last night. Holy jumping dog shit, that might be the most unbearably overwrought Crash ripoff I've ever witnessed. I finally had to turn it off when I decided that I just couldn't take any more melodrama, and I was expecting it to be somewhere within the last 10 minutes based on what a downer it had been for the last hour and a half. But no. There was still 25 minutes of crying and suicide ahead. Fuck me.

humanoid
02-20-2010, 10:09 AM
There was still 25 minutes of crying and suicide ahead. .

a microcosmic representation of many lives around here

wmgaretjax
02-20-2010, 10:37 AM
I just watched Hunger....incredible and harrowing film. I loved the dialogue scene between Bobby Sands and the priest.

That scene was unbelievable. About half way through it I started to wonder if it was the second act of three. I'm glad I was right. Structurally it was really simple, but it came off brilliantly.

schoolofruckus
02-20-2010, 12:05 PM
No argument about the fact that it falls into the category of fairly unrealistic indie music romance. That being said, I thought it handled the romance aspect a good deal better than most of its competition in that it went against the initial message of serendipity. You say that it plays out like it's written by a guy who never actually gets laid, but that's kinda exactly the point. Levitt's character in this IS dorks like Boourns or whoever--the idea is that the dude has all these romantic notions in his head and when he finally actually lands a halfway attractive girl who listens to some current indie music he falls madly in love with her and expects they're going to get married.

Nothing about that is unrealistic. That is, in fact, EXACTLY what happens when some girl finally throws a kid like that a stitch of pussy. And then she notices that he's way too in love with her and tries to pull away and it takes him several months to notice what's happening, and finally she goes off and has a real relationship with someone else who isn't a sycophant. Nothing whatsoever about that really played as unrealistic to me. You can say it was uninteresting, unromantic, blah blah blah, but not unrealistic.

I thought the plot device of jumping back and forth through the number of days was intrusive at first but ultimately it made for a decently effective method of time-shift that allowed you to not fuck up the story. Levitt is, as always, annoying as shit, and Zooey is, as always, not much of an actress at all, but whattaya gonna do.

To even contend for a moment that that fucking movie rivals the absolutely bottomless shit show that was Watchmen is out of the question.

Sometimes I forget how much I like to discuss movies with you when you actually, you know, watch them.

Jennie was a bigger fan of the way it ended than I was, and she said many of the same things you did. She also pointed out - and I agree even though I bitched about this because it's played-out as a reference point - that the use of The Graduate actually had some thought behind it. When I think about what she and you have both said now, I agree. I was pretty repelled by the self-conscious quirk and blatant indie sycophant fantasy, and getting drunk (we were having wine simultaneously with trying to do shots) didn't help in terms of trying to shed that perception as the film improved. It also would have helped if the film had formally done the same thing - like, for example, maybe when the bubble of this kid's misinterpreted Morrissey romantic ideal gets burst, the film could have ceased trying to tell me what's on Mark Webb's iPod. As it played, it feels like it's trying to tell me a lesson while showing me that it hasn't really learned anything.

I guess there's a chance that it might not have been a worse viewing experience than Watchmen. Am I ever going to watch either of them again? Absolutely not. So I'm afraid (500) Days will have to live in infamy.

Monklish
02-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Sometimes I forget how much I like to discuss movies with you when you actually, you know, watch them.

Jennie was a bigger fan of the way it ended than I was, and she said many of the same things you did. She also pointed out - and I agree even though I bitched about this because it's played-out as a reference point - that the use of The Graduate actually had some thought behind it. When I think about what she and you have both said now, I agree. I was pretty repelled by the self-conscious quirk and blatant indie sycophant fantasy, and getting drunk (we were having wine simultaneously with trying to do shots) didn't help in terms of trying to shed that perception as the film improved. It also would have helped if the film had formally done the same thing - like, for example, maybe when the bubble of this kid's misinterpreted Morrissey romantic ideal gets burst, the film could have ceased trying to tell me what's on Mark Webb's iPod. As it played, it feels like it's trying to tell me a lesson while showing me that it hasn't really learned anything.

I guess there's a chance that it might not have been a worse viewing experience than Watchmen. Am I ever going to watch either of them again? Absolutely not. So I'm afraid (500) Days will have to live in infamy.

What I think this is is more of a case of the movie having hit a nerve particular to us because we actually like indie music. If you like this shit to begin with this kind of shit is incredibly annoying, but ultimately it's important to look back and analyze how important this stuff is objectively. It's really annoying to us, but is that really the bulk of the movie? No. You can no more hate 500 Days just for the indie music shit than you can hate Watchmen JUST for the blue cocks.

humanoid
02-20-2010, 12:32 PM
more blue cocks may have improved Watchmen...who knows?

Ha.SK
02-21-2010, 08:32 AM
saw shutter island....i was dissapointed for the first half of the movie and even thought to myself that i probably wouldnt sit and watch this again.
was i so fucking wrong. so far best movie of 2010.

bobert
02-21-2010, 03:10 PM
I really liked Shutter Island also. It had many flaws but was still enormously entertaining. As Gabe pointed out, Leo's Boston accent left much to be desired, but there's something about that particular accent that always makes it sound like a bad Kennedy impression even if said actor is actually from Boston (Matt Damon). That said, I thought that this was one of Dicaprio's greatest performances. He really excels at playing strong, defiant characters on the brink of cracking up, and this film really plays to his strengths. Also some great cameos by Max Von Sydow and Ted Levine, among others.

I also watched the movie Triangle last night on DVD. Had no clue what it was about and had zero expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. Definitely worth a watch.

schoolofruckus
02-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Good to hear. Jen and I are leaving to see it now. Fingers crossed.

mountmccabe
02-21-2010, 08:52 PM
When you say warm Seagram's do you mean it was significantly greater than room temperature or that you normally drink your whiskey chilled?

schoolofruckus
02-22-2010, 05:10 AM
I take my beverages on the rocks, like a gentlemen.

Also - I forgot about Bruno. That was by FAR the worst '09 movie I saw. I turned it off after 40 minutes because it was so brutal.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2010, 05:22 AM
Also, Shutter Island was good. It was a bit workman-esque - as are most mysteries that use a twist ending to tie up every loose end and leave you very little to consider on your way out of the theater. But Scorsese is obviously a technical master par excellence, so the film never lacks for entertainment. As gorgeous as the photography is, the audio here is what really stands out. I feel like you could play this film over the radio and it would work nearly as well because of how good the sound design and score are.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-22-2010, 05:24 AM
Has nobody seen Human Centipede yet?

Monklish
02-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Also, Shutter Island was good. It was a bit workman-esque - as are most mysteries that use a twist ending to tie up every loose end and leave you very little to consider on your way out of the theater. But Scorsese is obviously a technical master par excellence, so the film never lacks for entertainment. As gorgeous as the photography is, the audio here is what really stands out. I feel like you could play this film over the radio and it would work nearly as well because of how good the sound design and score are.

Bet I can guess what the ending was.

chairmenmeow47
02-22-2010, 11:19 AM

did you feel like you had already seen the entire movie already just by watching the trailers? that is why i refuse to see it; the trailers seem to spell out the entire movie for you.

bobert
02-22-2010, 11:29 AM
did you feel like you had already seen the entire movie already just by watching the trailers? that is why i refuse to see it; the trailers seem to spell out the entire movie for you.

The trailers don't give anything away, honestly.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2010, 11:40 AM
I felt like I had seen the first half hour of the movie from the trailers. But it's pretty goddamn long and there's a lot of plot that wasn't disclosed.

That said, Randy's right - you can probably guess exactly where it's going.

Monklish
02-22-2010, 12:15 PM
I got a hundred bucks that says at the end Leo is just another crazy convict. Right?

DruggyFestivalGuy
02-22-2010, 12:16 PM
^^ Seems likely.

Monklish
02-22-2010, 12:18 PM
And the reason he's crazy is that he imagines he's a cop and shit. Right. Thanks Marty.

bobert
02-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I got a hundred bucks that says at the end Leo is just another crazy convict. Right?

Wrong. He finds out that he and Tyler Durden are actually the same person. A one man fist-fight ensues.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Wrong. We find out that he was actually Matt Damon.

amyzzz
02-22-2010, 12:29 PM
goddamnit

Ha.SK
02-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Ha. This is fucked up.

Monklish
02-22-2010, 12:35 PM
So I was right. Awesome.

amyzzz
02-22-2010, 12:36 PM
I need to scramble my brains and forget that.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2010, 12:42 PM
So I was right. Awesome.

I do believe that both Bobby and I said that you weren't.

Mr. Dylanja
02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Awesome.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Anyone who thinks a Scorsese movie would resort to some Beautiful Mind rip-off as its big reveal is out of their mind.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Anyone who thinks a Scorsese movie would resort to some Beautiful Mind rip-off as its big reveal is out of their mind.

Hey spoiler alert motherfucker

AlecEiffel
02-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Here are some snippets from Vern's review of Shutter Island.

SHUTTER ISLAND is alot like JURASSIC PARK. Outside experts are called in to a remote island where some unusual shit goes down. They’re shown the operation, the security setup, the layout. Then there’s a big ass storm so they can’t get off the island, the electric fences go down and the captives get loose and it’s bedlam. But it’s the criminally insane instead of dinosaurs, and it’s the guy who plays GANDHI instead of the director of GANDHI who’s their guide on the island. There are other minor differences, like for example this one is less about people staring in awe at dinosaurs and more about piecing together the traumatic events that haunt the hero, and figuring out how they tie into this mystery which unfolds in a surreal horror movie atmosphere and within the context of the 1950s, with the lingering horrors of WWII still in people’s minds as well as the fear of the hydrogen bomb and of communism, and most importantly during the psychiatric community’s bumpy transition from barbaric surgical methods to more modern psychotropic drugs and verbal forms of therapy. Otherwise though it’s pretty much the exact same movie, a blatant ripoff.

The director is Martin Scorsese, the guy who did those movies with Robert Deniro. To be honest I wouldn’t say this was one of his best, but compared to your usual movie directing chumps you got going around these days it’s a fuckin masterwork. For example I liked it better than LAW ABIDING CITIZEN or SORORITY ROW. Of the other JURASSIC PARK movies I would say it is on par with parts 1 and 2 and definitely much better than part 3 even though that one did have pterodactyls. just my 2 cents.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Hey spoiler alert motherfucker

Do I need a spoiler alert to debunk a silly suggestion?

malcolmjamalawesome
02-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Do I need a spoiler alert to debunk a silly suggestion?

I meant for A Beautiful Mind.

Monklish
02-22-2010, 01:21 PM
I do believe that both Bobby and I said that you weren't.

Bullfuckingshit. It's something absolutely along those lines.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Bullfuckingshit. It's something absolutely along those lines.

You won't see it, so you'll never know.

I meant for A Beautiful Mind.

Tee hee.

Monklish
02-22-2010, 01:29 PM
I'll see it. Bet me a thousand dollars that there's not a big "BUT WAS HE REALLY A PATIENT?" moment at the end. Do it.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I'll see it. Bet me a thousand dollars that there's not a big "BUT WAS HE REALLY A PATIENT?" moment at the end. Do it.

Bet accepted. I need an extra grand to spend on Vincent Gallo merch.

Note: Serious about accepting the bet. Not serious about blowing it on Gallo (that's what she said).

Monklish
02-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Well you asshole. Now I have to actually watch this piece of shit. Fortunately it's already streaming. Gonna go watch and them come back here to bitchslap you.

ballroomdancer22
02-22-2010, 03:07 PM
SPOILER

Leo finds out he's been dead the entirety of the movie

END SPOILER

bobert
02-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Well you asshole. Now I have to actually watch this piece of shit. Fortunately it's already streaming. Gonna go watch and them come back here to bitchslap you.

Call me old fashioned, but I think Scorsese movies are best enjoyed on the big screen.

ballroomdancer22
02-22-2010, 03:19 PM
yes, shutter island better than other release within the last few weeks

stfu

otherwise go watch 'valentine's day'

Sushov23
02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Did anyone in here read the book(shutter island)? does the film stray from the book?

PotVsKtl
02-22-2010, 03:23 PM
The Departed is best enjoyed with an icepick inside of your frontal lobe.

hawkingvsreeve
02-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Wrong. He finds out that he and Tyler Durden are actually the same person. A one man fist-fight ensues.

Ha. I watched that last night.

bobert
02-22-2010, 03:37 PM
The Departed is best enjoyed with an icepick inside of your frontal lobe.

Well then Shutter Island should be right up your alley, Pot, since lobotomies figure so prominently into the plot that your sad, joyless outlook on life may not be an issue.

roberto73
02-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Did anyone in here read the book(shutter island)? does the film stray from the book?

I'm reading it right now. I'm about a third of the way through, and so far it's remarkably faithful. I saw the movie on Friday, and a lot of the dialogue was lifted straight from the page.

PotVsKtl
02-22-2010, 03:38 PM
My sense of humor wasn't the issue with Departed. I think it may have in fact been the movie that was the issue.

hawkingvsreeve
02-22-2010, 03:41 PM
And Marky Marks ridiculous Boston accent and overacting.

bobert
02-22-2010, 03:43 PM
My sense of humor wasn't the issue with Departed. I think it may have in fact been the movie that was the issue.

You're right, Pot. Come to think of it I remember you cracking a few jokes round these parts. I've edited my previous post to reflect this.

PotVsKtl
02-22-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure where you're going with this skit but I'll play along until the big reveal.

J~$$$$
02-22-2010, 03:51 PM
I <3 jew jokes.

roberto73
02-22-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure where you're going with this skit but I'll play along until the big reveal.

If it turns out that water's your weakness, I'm demanding a refund.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2010, 04:18 PM
If you don't end at the bottom of the ocean, I will never forgive you.

iv3rdawG
02-22-2010, 04:19 PM
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4789/houseofthedevilj.jpg

I loved it. Wow, I went in not knowing much but hearing about it being a throwback to 80s horror films and it hits all the right notes perfectly. The opening credits are so good. Jocelin Donahue, who plays Samantha, is excellent in the lead role and she really carries the movie. For the last half of the movie she is pretty much all by herself and in that time you really start to relate with her and get comfortable with the movie. I also loved Greta Gerwig as her best friend Megan. Their relationship really felt established even in the first scene they had together at the pizza place, so it just had the rest of the time to grow (plus, she was pretty funny). Bringing it back to Jocelin Donahue though, I'll be really surprised if she doesn't get more roles from this film. Ti West really built the tension nicely and just pulled it throughout the entire movie. I liked how the film just didn't go for cheap scares when they could have, but instead gave a little scare every twenty or so minutes (at least it felt like that) throughout the last half of the movie, and leaving the first half to just character and plot development and really nothing else though surprisingly, that works really well. As I touched on earlier, the 80s setting is really great, and I loved all the little touches that West had throughout the film, like how Sam always listened to her walkman (see below). If you haven't heard of it, check it out. I'd recommend not looking at the IMDb page, Wikipedia, pictures or even the trailer if you can. It also has some of the greatest posters created in recent memory. Some stellar performances by rather unknown actors and a fun, tense ride.

And this scene was fantastic:

F913LrBAMSg

ivankay
02-22-2010, 07:07 PM
yes, shutter island better than other release within the last few weeks

stfu

otherwise go watch 'valentine's day'

Tis the season for meh movies. Unfortunately i went into Shutter Island with that thriller / spooky expectation and experienced none of that. On the positive: great Leo performance and great photography. Glad i saw it and agree with putting it with a Cape Fear double feature, but no wai does it come close to being as good. Cape Fear has tension and edge of your seat moments. Unfortunately Shut Eye Island does not. Maybe my perspective will change when i view it minus the expectations set up for me by the trailer, but that's how i feel now.

BobbyJoe
02-22-2010, 07:15 PM
God, Shutter Island was so disappointing.

Great acting, beautifully shot, sunken by an absolute shit script. Without giving anything away, the lady "doctor's" long winded speech about how important the brain is and how they're experimenting on the brain, and the things you can do to the brain, etc, etc, followed by Leo DiCaprio's response of "wait....you're talking about the brain?" pretty much sums up the film's dialogue. Between lines like that and characters showing up merely to throw up a paragraph of exposition, I felt like I was being continuously bludgeoned over the head by someone's shoe.

And that's to say nothing of the plot...

BobbyJoe
02-22-2010, 07:22 PM
And I'm glad I discovered this thread. People seem like they're actually trying to form intelligent opinions about film. Always a good discussion topic.

Monklish
02-22-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm halfway through Shutter Island and it fucking sucks.

BobbyJoe
02-22-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm halfway through Shutter Island and it fucking sucks.

*Spoiler*

And you're going to take that guy you had the "bet" with to the cleaners...ha.

wmgaretjax
02-22-2010, 09:25 PM
The Departed was really overwrought.

Precious is probably one of the most poorly paced, edited and shot films I've ever seen. Absolutely abysmal. Not to say there wasn't good performances, and some good scenes...

BKsaysAction!
02-22-2010, 10:09 PM
The Departed was really overwrought.

Precious is probably one of the most poorly paced, edited and shot films I've ever seen. Absolutely abysmal. Not to say there wasn't good performances, and some good scenes...

I felt the same way about monster's ball, I guess that's his style.

Monklish
02-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Holy crap. That was the most worthless movie ever. Go fuck yourself, Scorcese.

roberto73
02-23-2010, 03:54 AM
I felt the same way about monster's ball, I guess that's his style.

He didn't direct Monster's Ball, though. Just produced it. Marc Forster was the director.

liquidsnake28
02-23-2010, 06:16 AM
When's the last time Scorsese directed a movie that wasn't fucking awful? Goodfellas? Bringing Out the Dead?

wmgaretjax
02-23-2010, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure Gangs of New York was awful. It's a flawed film, but it's hardly as bad as every other movie he's done since.

Bringing Out the Dead was fantastic though... Before that... Age of Innocence.

schoolofruckus
02-23-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm a pretty big fan of The Departed, final shot notwithstanding. Gangs of New York is highly enjoyable, although bloated and not particularly worth revisiting. Bringing Out the Dead is excellent. I definitely did not like The Aviator, though.

I guess if you disagree on all of the above, it makes sense to ask that question. But it feels wrong to me to think of Scorsese as being on some kind of Spielbergian cold streak.

liquidsnake28
02-23-2010, 08:48 AM
I was slightly entertained by the Departed and Gangs of New York so I guess I shouldn't say they're fucking awful. It's just when you compare shit like Shutter Island and The Aviator to even his lesser known films like King of Comedy and After Hours you notice one hell of a decline. This is all too common when directors get older but people are being way too easy on his recent films.

wmgaretjax
02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
off the top of my head, most great directors actually get better with age.

SoulDischarge
02-23-2010, 09:32 AM
I've noticed the opposite, actually. The ones that do are anomalies for the most part it seems like (Luis Bunuel is the only one that comes to mind at the moment in fact).

BobbyJoe
02-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Scorcese's films have always had a penchant for taking somewhat bizarre left turns right at the end which throws off the power they've built up.

The biggest example is obviously the Departed but even Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, which I love for the most part, have what the fuck/why the fuck? moments right near the end. Taxi Driver only right at the end where it's just a "wait, life returns completely to normal after this guy brutally murdered three people?" moment to which I've heard an argument that a lot of it was in his head, but that's a discussion for another day. And Raging Bull's whole third act of years later, while the point comes across, grinds the film to an absolute halt in my opinion.

He doesn't write any of his material though so I wonder if these strange endings look better on the page.

chairmenmeow47
02-23-2010, 09:37 AM
i liked aviator way more than the departed. i know i'm in the minority of people who like it though. i lived with someone who had OCD and the movie reminded me a lot of her and was compelling to me in that respect because i've seen OCD drive her to the brink of madness before. i also enjoyed all the period stuff and loved cate blanchett as hepburn. leo's performance didn't mean much to me, i just find howard hughes & and that whole era fascinating.

BobbyJoe
02-23-2010, 09:51 AM
i liked aviator way more than the departed. i know i'm in the minority of people who like it though. i lived with someone who had OCD and the movie reminded me a lot of her and was compelling to me in that respect because i've seen OCD drive her to the brink of madness before. i also enjoyed all the period stuff and loved cate blanchett as hepburn. leo's performance didn't mean much to me, i just find howard hughes & and that whole era fascinating.

I enjoyed the Aviator for the most part as well. I think it gets more hate than it deserves.

On a non-Scorcese related note, did anyone see The White Ribbon? I'm curious to hear what people thought about it.

wmgaretjax
02-23-2010, 09:51 AM
I've noticed the opposite, actually. The ones that do are anomalies for the most part it seems like (Luis Bunuel is the only one that comes to mind at the moment in fact).

Tarkovsky. Kieslowski. Tarr. Haneke. Kubrick (fuck you). Hsiao-Hsien. Wim Wenders. Kusturica.

Maybe it only applies to American film makers.

M Sparks
02-23-2010, 10:11 AM
i just find howard hughes & and that whole era fascinating.

Yeah, I liked it too...the subject matter was more interesting than the movie AS a movie. I hadn't really seen his story told that way before.

When I was a kid and lived in Lake Havasu, there was some guy trying to buy the Spruce Goose and put it near the London Bridge so we could have a whole collection of stupid shit to sucker the tourists.

Down Rodeo
02-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Tarkovsky. Kieslowski. Tarr. Haneke. Kubrick (fuck you). Hsiao-Hsien. Wim Wenders. Kusturica.

Yeah, but even Fellini, Bergman, Hitchcock, Kurosawa, etc. tailed off somewhat toward the end of the careers. It's natural when you've produced works of absolute genius earlier in life.

On the American side, David Lynch doesn't seem to be slowing down with age.

Down Rodeo
02-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm a pretty big fan of The Departed, final shot notwithstanding. Gangs of New York is highly enjoyable, although bloated and not particularly worth revisiting. Bringing Out the Dead is excellent. I definitely did not like The Aviator, though.

I guess if you disagree on all of the above, it makes sense to ask that question. But it feels wrong to me to think of Scorsese as being on some kind of Spielbergian cold streak.

I agree with all of this, except I did like The Aviator. Scorsese is not really on a cold streak right now, he's just not taking as many chances as he did earlier in his career. I think he's settled into a comfortable groove where he can make extremely successful entertainments, which is understandable when his great works in the '90s go under-appreciated, like Bringing Out the Dead, The Age of Innocence and Kundun.

It doesn't really matter though, because he'll be back in masterful form once he films Silence. And possibly The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.

schoolofruckus
02-23-2010, 10:36 AM

Tarkovsky is the best example I can think of.

As for Americans...I don't know if Kubrick got "better" with age, but he did age exceptionally well. Cassavetes was aging really well too - Love Streams being his last "real" movie - before he died. In my opinion, Michael Mann continues to make excellent variations on his chosen themes well into his mid-70's.

In my opinion, the filmmakers who age the worst (and I realize this is a totally arbitrary classification) are those who put a high degree of importance on the Oscar. When they don't win for making their great films, they start making films to chase it, and then once they do win, they start to get creatively soft. This is exactly what happened with Scorsese, who was a master for about 25 years even though his films weren't always great, and then started progressively chasing projects that he thought would appeal to Academy tastes. It's also what happened to Spielberg, although it was a lot earlier in his life. I can't think of other examples at the moment, but I bet this theory holds up.

schoolofruckus
02-23-2010, 10:37 AM
On the American side, David Lynch doesn't seem to be slowing down with age.

Fantastic example.

caco0283
02-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Um Gabe....you forgot about Adam Shankman....he isn't slowing down with age

SoulDischarge
02-23-2010, 11:11 AM
David Lynch has more or less made the same movie three times in a row though.

amyzzz
02-23-2010, 12:51 PM
It's a damn good movie though.

Monklish
02-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Gangs of New York was terrible. Bringing Out The Dead was really good but it was also a fucking decade ago. The problem with Scorcese isn't really his directing, it's the fact that he picks terrible, terrible scripts. The Departed was almost good but it went completely to shit in the third act and I wish Scorcese wouldn't encourage Leo to be such a trembling-lipped ****** all the time.

Directors get better with age to a point. Generally speaking it takes at least two movies before they really have their feet under them, and most people don't start directing until they're probably 30 for the most part, at least in any capacity we might actually notice. So then it's two movies or six years before they're actually in their stride, and then generally they have at most 3 or 4 good movies in them. More or less everybody sucks at art after 50. You guys can quote all the obscure European asshats you want, there is no well known director who you can actually claim wasn't in decline after 50.

Monklish
02-23-2010, 12:58 PM
And David Lynch has never once made a good movie. Go fuck yourselves.

wmgaretjax
02-23-2010, 12:59 PM
David Lynch has more or less made the same movie three times in a row though.

i assume you are skipping straight story, but I still wholeheartedly disagree. they share stylistic similarities, but it ends shortly after that.

PotVsKtl
02-23-2010, 12:59 PM
there is no well known director who you can actually claim wasn't in decline after 50.

Wrong.

SoulDischarge
02-23-2010, 01:05 PM
i assume you are skipping straight story, but I still wholeheartedly disagree. they share stylistic similarities, but it ends shortly after that.

Something horrible happens to someone. They experience a psychogenic fugue. The audience experiences both their real world and their imagined world with not much distinction made between the two. They devolve into total madness beyond reach.

I enjoyed all three movies, but still. It's time to move on to a different theme.

Monklish
02-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Wrong.

Name one.

PotVsKtl
02-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Herzog.

Monklish
02-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Herzog.

Uh-huh.

http://www.gentedigital.es/upload/fotos/blogs_entradas/200911/the_bad_lieutenant_port_of_call_new_orleans_poster _grande.jpg

PotVsKtl
02-23-2010, 01:10 PM
That is correct. Have you seen that movie?

Monklish
02-23-2010, 01:11 PM
... No. No I haven't. If you're seriously going to try and tell me that that is a good movie I'm never discussing this shit with you again. Get fucking real.

amyzzz
02-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Something horrible happens to someone. They experience a psychogenic fugue. The audience experiences both their real world and their imagined world with not much distinction made between the two. They devolve into total madness beyond reach.

I enjoyed all three movies, but still. It's time to move on to a different theme.
Lost Highway
Mulholland Dr
Inland Empire

(right..?)
Spot-on analysis there.

PotVsKtl
02-23-2010, 01:13 PM
oMoyl7PO7Cc

Monklish
02-23-2010, 01:14 PM
qkT0eOzsJ5E

PotVsKtl
02-23-2010, 01:16 PM
8otgTeqyjMI

Monklish
02-23-2010, 01:18 PM
So your argument is basically that he's a good director because he unintentionally makes hilariously awful movies?

SoulDischarge
02-23-2010, 01:18 PM
I need to see this motherfucker already.

PotVsKtl
02-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Nothing unintentional about it. Here is what Herzog has been up to since he turned 50.

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done (2009)
La bohème (2009)
The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans (2009)
... aka Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (USA: promotional title)
Encounters at the End of the World (2007)
Rescue Dawn (2006)
The Wild Blue Yonder (2005)
Grizzly Man (2005)
The White Diamond (2004)
Wheel of Time (2003)
... aka Kalachakra - La ruota del tempo (Italy)
... aka Rad der Zeit (Germany)
Ten Minutes Older: The Trumpet (2002) (segment "Ten Thousand Years Older")
Invincible (2001)
... aka Unbesiegbar (Germany)
Pilgrimage (2001)
Julianes Sturz in den Dschungel (2000) (TV)
... aka Wings of Hope (International: English title)
"2000 Jahre Christentum" (1 episode, 2000)
... aka 2000 Years of Christianity (USA: DVD title)
- Neue Welten - Hinter dem europäischen Horizont (2000) TV episode

Mein liebster Feind - Klaus Kinski (1999)
... aka 25. tunti: Klaus Kinski (Finland: TV title)
... aka Mein liebster Feind (Germany: short title)
... aka My Best Fiend (Europe: English title)
"Höllenfahrten" (1 episode, 1998)
- Flucht aus Laos (1998) TV episode
Little Dieter Needs to Fly (1997)
... aka Flucht aus Laos (Germany)
Die Verwandlung der Welt in Musik: Bayreuth vor der Premiere (1996) (TV)
... aka Die Verwandlung der Welt in Musik (Germany: short title)
... aka The Transformation of the World Into Music
Glocken aus der Tiefe - Glaube und Aberglaube in Rußland (1995)
... aka Bells from the Deep: Faith and Superstition in Russia
... aka Glocken aus der Tiefe (Germany: short title)
Tod für fünf Stimmen (1995) (TV)
... aka Death for Five Voices (International: English title)
... aka Gesualdo - Tod für fünf Stimmen (Germany: long title)
... aka Gesualdo: Death for Five Voices (International: English title)
Lektionen in Finsternis (1992)
... aka Lessons of Darkness (USA: video title)

Monklish
02-23-2010, 01:19 PM
So your argument is that he intentionally makes hilariously awful movies?

PotVsKtl
02-23-2010, 01:20 PM
You're sort of too boring about this shit for me to care to engage you in any real way.

Monklish
02-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Why don't we just start heaping praise on every asshole who casts Nic Cage in a piece of shit remake? How old is the Wicker Man director, maybe he can go on the list too.

BobbyJoe
02-23-2010, 01:24 PM
And David Lynch has never once made a good movie. Go fuck yourselves.

You seriously didn't like Blue Velvet?

AlecEiffel
02-23-2010, 01:24 PM
So because of one movie you've never seen you're discrediting nearly 20 other movies?

SoulDischarge
02-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Greatest two minutes of film:

lUcTvhyof8I

Monklish
02-23-2010, 01:26 PM
You seriously didn't like Blue Velvet?

Never bothered and no plans to. There is no fucking way that man made anything that won't annoy the shit out of me.

So because of one movie you've never seen you're discrediting nearly 20 other movies?

No, I forever discredited Herzog because he called Harmony Korine the future of American cinema.

AlecEiffel
02-23-2010, 01:27 PM
No, I forever discredited Herzog because he called Harmony Korine the future of American cinema.

He says a lot of things. He does make good movies though (I haven't seen Bad Lieutenant yet, so no comment there).

BobbyJoe
02-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Never bothered and no plans to. There is no fucking way that man made anything that won't annoy the shit out of me.

I can tell you're fickle about film which I appreciate. Seriously, watch Blue Velvet. Yes it has all the typical David Lynch tropes but the one difference? It actually makes sense and is coherent. Give it a shot.

Monklish
02-23-2010, 01:30 PM
He says a lot of things. He does make good movies though (I haven't seen Bad Lieutenant yet, so no comment there).

Anyone who thinks Harmony Korine is talented is of the exact wrong opinion about everything.

AlecEiffel
02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Have you seen any Herzog movies?

chairmenmeow47
02-23-2010, 01:33 PM
once everyone finally catches up on the utter shit that was bad lieutenant, lemme know so we can discuss how fucking awful it was and the anger you feel towards yourself for actually watching to the end. i'm astounded that it was made by the same person who made rescue dawn; i enjoyed that movie.

PotVsKtl
02-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Rescue Dawn was not very good. You're terrible at liking things properly.

SoulDischarge
02-23-2010, 01:35 PM
I will not engage Randy in debates on the quality or worth of any kind of media.
I will not engage Randy in debates on the quality or worth of any kind of media.

Monklish
Have you seen any Herzog movies?

What part of the "I know I don't need to see any of his movies because he's the exact opposite of right about everything" don't you fucking understand?

chairmenmeow47
Rescue Dawn was not very good. You're terrible at liking things properly.

says the guy who enjoys nicholas cage doing a horrible impersonation of someone on crack.

AlecEiffel
02-23-2010, 01:39 PM
What part of the "I know I don't need to see any of his movies because he's the exact opposite of right about everything" don't you fucking understand?

I understand that you talk with the utmost authority about things you haven't got a fucking clue about.

BobbyJoe
Speaking of Herzog, I really enjoyed Grizzly Man.

liquidsnake28
Herzog or not, Bad Lieutenant was really funny and it's obvious that it was completely intentional.

SoulDischarge
02-23-2010, 01:40 PM
3xQyQnXrLb0

Best person alive.