PDA

View Full Version : Schoolio's Movie Corner

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124

real talk
07-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Anybody that says they understand that fucking movie is lying to sound artistically sophisticated.

SoulDischarge
07-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Brick was boring. At least if you've seen more than two actual film noirs.

PotVsKtl
07-15-2009, 01:28 AM
I've seen dozens of actual film noirs and I love Brick.

sonofhal
07-15-2009, 01:40 AM
I've seen dozens of actual bricks, and i love film noir.

PotVsKtl
07-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Terminator Salvation is such a piece of shit. I haven't wanted to turn a movie off so fast since Resident Evil 2.

schoolofruckus
07-15-2009, 03:56 AM
Anybody that says they understand that fucking movie is lying to sound artistically sophisticated.

Blanket, my beautiful Blanket!

higgybaby23
07-15-2009, 08:06 AM
I watched Street Kings last night on Skinemax. WOW! One of the best/worst B-movies I've seen. I can't remember a movie so horribly acted ever. It was so bad that it put me into some sort of Keanu Reeves trance. That man has the uncanny ability to bring every other actor into his strange non-acting world. Even Forrest Whitaker took a dump on this one. I'm now inspired to seek out every Keanu movie and force myself to sit through them.

RotationSlimWang
07-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Brick was a gimmicky piece of infantile shit that made no sense.

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Brick was boring. At least if you've seen more than two actual film noirs.
Thank you! Finally someone who agrees with me about this movie.

AlecEiffel
07-15-2009, 11:05 AM
The 4th and 5th movies were fucking terrible, the 3rd is easily the best one. They hired directors with no vision that made a bland generic movie. They completely fucked through the books and cut out whatever they felt like on top of it all. See, the 3rd movie had a fucked story too but it was so beautifully made and done I didnt care so much

While I agree that they aren't the best movies and if you havn't read the books I don't know how you'd really understand what is going on, I don't think the directors just cut out 'whatever they felt like'. Try cramming 1000 pages into two and a half hours. You're not going to get it all in there.

miscorrections
07-15-2009, 11:09 AM
No, but you could cut some of the extraneous shit they added to make it a little more cohesive.

hawkingvsreeve
07-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Terminator Salvation is such a piece of shit. I haven't wanted to turn a movie off so fast since Resident Evil 2.

RE2 was so bad. So, so bad.

AlecEiffel
07-15-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm assuming you didn't see RE3.

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I am hearing great things about the new Harry Potter. Please please put reviews in here if you've seen it. SO EXCITED. I had high hopes for the last one, and it just wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

wmgaretjax
07-15-2009, 12:07 PM
So the Cloverfield guy is doing the Let the Right One In remake... Called Let Me In.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
So the Cloverfield guy is doing the Let the Right One In remake... Called Let Me In.

TECHNICALLY it's based on the same book (i think the direct English translation of the book's title was "let me in") and will most likely include a lot more of the grotesque vampiric elements and deeply involved backstory that was left out of the Swedish movie in favor of subtlety

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Oh hell. I'll probably go see it. I like my vampire movies. :)

edit: speaking of which that last Underworld movie was not too shabby. A lot better than Underworld 2 and filled in more backstory/prologue related to the first one.

schoolofruckus
07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
TECHNICALLY it's based on the same book (i think the direct English translation of the book's title was "let me in") and will most likely include a lot more of the grotesque vampiric elements and deeply involved backstory that was left out of the Swedish movie in favor of subtlety

Plus Eli's victims will make all sorts of funny wisecracks while she's ripping their throats out.

sonofhal
07-15-2009, 12:32 PM
The new Harry Potter was a comafest. Worst one so far.

sbessiso
07-15-2009, 12:52 PM
While I agree that they aren't the best movies and if you havn't read the books I don't know how you'd really understand what is going on, I don't think the directors just cut out 'whatever they felt like'. Try cramming 1000 pages into two and a half hours. You're not going to get it all in there.

Oh I understand that believe me, but what they decide to cut out sometimes just baffles me. 4 and 5 in particular felt just so rushed and I have yet to see Half-Blood Prince but I read a review that gives another good example. Apparently the final climatic showdown is nothing but a few minutes even though its one of the most important events in all the books. Yet they decided to add scenes of events that werent even in the book to begin with. That right there just frustrates me to no end.

And dont sugar coat it Amy, Order of the Phoenix was terrible :(

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 12:57 PM
I liked Helena Bonham Carter in it though. And the swirly smoke fight at the end was cool even if it didn't match up to the scene in the book. Oh and whoever played Umbridge was perfect.

higgybaby23
07-15-2009, 01:03 PM

This is why I stopped watching American made films for a year. Maybe I should go back to that practice.

AlecEiffel
07-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Well, they always get the casting right. That's the strongest point of the films.

I think the main problem with OotP was that Sirius's death is one of the emotional focal points of the entire series. It's supposed to be a really, really big deal and when it happens in the movie it just kind of left me with an "huh, ok whatever" feeling. I'm afraid that I'm going to get that same feeling again when I see the end of HBP, which would really be a shame. I know they cut the major battle at the end of this one and I understand it's because they want extra emphasis on the battle at the end of the series. That shit seriously better get an hour of screen time, especially since they are cutting that book into two movies and most of it is about characters hanging out in a tent not knowing what's going on with the rest of the story.

miscorrections
07-15-2009, 01:14 PM
OotP was so bad I blocked most of it out of my memory. I seriously can't remember much about the movie, and I hope this one isn't SO terrible. I don't expect it to be good, but would a watchable adaptation be too much to ask for?

hawkingvsreeve
07-15-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm assuming you didn't see RE3.

It was better than the second one, but not by much.

The first one is great though. I can watch that movie almost anytime and enjoy it.

I got Speed Racer in the mail yesterday from Netflix. I am not expecting much, I just want it to look good.

AlecEiffel
07-15-2009, 01:20 PM
It was better than the second one, but not by much.

I very much disagree. I thought RE3 was incredibly boring.

hawkingvsreeve
07-15-2009, 01:23 PM
We are disagreeing so hard right now.

AlecEiffel
07-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Maybe I'll rewatch it, though I'm really not looking forward to it.

sbessiso
07-15-2009, 01:26 PM
I just wish so hard that they had brought back Alfonso Cuaron to direct

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I think #5 was better than #4 though, but I think I also blocked out much of #5. If one of the upcoming movies could match or surpass #3, I could get excited about the series all over again. I think I even stopped re-reading the books after that last movie because it let me down so much.

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 01:29 PM
YES. Or bring Peter Jackson into the fold.

hawkingvsreeve
07-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Maybe I'll rewatch it, though I'm really not looking forward to it.

No, no. Neither are worth a second viewing and I would hate for you to waste those hours of your life on such terrible cinema. I dont need to convince anyone here. As long as we can agree that the first was a fun movie, we are good.

wmgaretjax
07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Brandon. Speed Racer is incredible eye candy, but that's it.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 01:41 PM

i think you're confusing screenwriters with directors

the complaints you have made have little to do with the directing and much more with the screenplay

AlecEiffel
07-15-2009, 01:42 PM
it also has John Goodman fighting a ninja, which is incredible soul candy.

sbessiso
07-15-2009, 01:45 PM
i think you're confusing screenwriters with directors

the complaints you have made have little to do with the directing and much more with the screenplay

Well I had already stated that--they hired directors with no vision or flair that turned in a generic turd. OotP was made by a TV director ugh

it also has John Goodman fighting a ninja, which is incredible soul candy.

"Oh my god, was that a ninja??"

humanoid
07-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Brandon. Speed Racer is incredible eye candy, but that's it.

I'm also curious to check it out solely for this purpose.

hawkingvsreeve
07-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Yeah, it will be on Blu Ray so I am excited about that, but I know most people thought it sucked.

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Christina Ricci looked cute in Speedracer.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Speed racer is great!

HowToDisappear
07-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Yeah, it will be on Blu Ray so I am excited about that, but I know most people thought it sucked.

We watched it on BluRay. Looks great. Sucks harder than you can imagine.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure what the people who think Speed Racer sucked were expecting? It's a kids movie, and it's exactly like the source material.

stuporfly
07-15-2009, 03:19 PM
I took my daughter to see Speed Racer, and we had a fantastic time. Madeline - who was six at the time it was in theaters - adored it, and I liked it rather well, too. Like wmgaretjax mentioned, it's great to look at, and as I didn't expect to get too much else out of it, I didn't have any other expectations to dash. On those terms, I was able to thoroughly enjoy myself.

humanoid
07-15-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure what the people who think Speed Racer sucked were expecting? It's a kids movie, and it's exactly like the source material.

I just want to smoke a little weed, relax and watch the pretty lights, not expecting much more out of it.

JewFace
07-15-2009, 03:20 PM
I saw Bruno last night. Add my voice to the general chorus of "meh" on this one. Not half as entertaining or as effective as Borat.

I really can't stand G.L.A.A.D. and the way they try to censor every "***" joke out there. That being said, their criticism of Bruno is fairly valid. Besides it only having a handful of truly funny moments (loved the infant parent interviews), it also failed miserably at any attempt to "expose" or lampoon homophobia. Were the reactions of some of the unwitting co-stars based at least partly in homophobia? Sure. But they were also largely reactions to an outlandish, ridiculous, over-the-top character. Anyone would be annoyed, grossed out or shocked by some of Bruno's behavior. I think the audience will be, for the most part, laughing at Bruno and not with him.

chairmenmeow47
07-15-2009, 04:17 PM
but can't you say the same for borat? i mean, borat was a caricature as well, just a more socially-acceptable one.

Blinken
07-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I just want to smoke a little weed, relax and watch the pretty lights, not expecting much more out of it.

Yeah that is exactly what it is good for. I saw it again a couple months ago on some shrooms, flat out amazing.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 04:31 PM
the "Let me In" concept posters

http://themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/lmi1.jpg

http://themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/lmi2.jpg

http://themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/lmi3.jpg

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Nice, have to say.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 04:37 PM
definitely sticking cloe to the design aesthetics of the posters for the original film

http://www.movieposterdb.com/movie/1139797/Lat-den-ratte-komma-in.html

sonofhal
07-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Let Me (ru)in the original.

whynotsmile99
07-15-2009, 04:38 PM
I saw Bruno last night. Add my voice to the general chorus of "meh" on this one. Not half as entertaining or as effective as Borat.

I really can't stand G.L.A.A.D. and the way they try to censor every "***" joke out there. That being said, their criticism of Bruno is fairly valid. Besides it only having a handful of truly funny moments (loved the infant parent interviews), it also failed miserably at any attempt to "expose" or lampoon homophobia. Were the reactions of some of the unwitting co-stars based at least partly in homophobia? Sure. But they were also largely reactions to an outlandish, ridiculous, over-the-top character. Anyone would be annoyed, grossed out or shocked by some of Bruno's behavior. I think the audience will be, for the most part, laughing at Bruno and not with him.

I have to get agree with you, though I found the movie hilarious throughout. I agree with GLADD too. The wrestling scene in particular, though I laughed hard, made me wince. Scary to think of all those rednecks now with a deeper passion of hatred to gays after seeing that. That stunt could have been pulled in San Francisco and while the reaction wouldn't have been as volatile, people would have still thrown a shit fit.

What scenes didn't work for you guys in particular? I feel like I'm one of the few who thought the movie was laugh out loud funny throughout. One of my favorites was the audience test screening. THe look on that guys' face when Bruno busted through the doors was priceless.

rage patton
07-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Im going to go on record saying I loved Cloverfield. Most people I know hated it, but it was exactly what I wanted it to be. I also really enjoyed Let The Right One In. Therefore, I am excited for Let Me In.

Also, I saw Harry Potter at midnight. It was good. I laughed a lot more than I thought I would. I have never read the books, but I coudn't help but feel this movie was rushed. It moved at a lightning pace, but much of it I found uninteresting. The guy who played Professor Slughorn (sp?) was great though. Also, I want to kill Draco Malfoy. He is an annoying, pussy little bitch. Everytime he was on screen he had me pissed off.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I loved Cloverfield. I'm interested.

Also, this is a very real cinema information line in the little town of Navan, re: Bruno.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/62693484f2197756/

This is the most interesting thing Navan's ever done by the way, it's an apocalyptically boring arsehole of a town. Now at least they can phone up the cinema for entertainment, and I tried the number earlier, the message was still up.

JewFace
07-15-2009, 04:52 PM
but can't you say the same for borat? i mean, borat was a caricature as well, just a more socially-acceptable one.

To an extent, yes. I would argue that a lot more of the laughs in Borat were generated by the reactions of the real people in the film to Borat and the racist, anti-semitic, sexist or xenophobic statements they made or behavior they exhibited, rather than coming just from Borat making a total ass of himself.

Obviously, a wider range of taboo topics were satirized in Borat, but I just don't think Bruno was half as successful at satirizing homophobia.

Borat was a racist, anti-semitic, sexist, xenophobic character who was able to satirize those beliefs by exposing them in ordinary every day Americans. Bruno is a flamboyant, fey, sexually aggressive homosexual who attempts to expose people's homophobia but instead largely plays into misconceptions or gross stereotypes of homosexuals. His behavior as "the homosexual" is outrageous and distasteful and freakish and so the reactions of the real people in Bruno don't seem half as outrageous as they did in Borat.

schoolofruckus
07-15-2009, 05:06 PM
The problem with Bruno - or any other movie - trying to "expose homophobia" is that there's too fucking much homophobia out in the open (http://www.protectmarriage.com/) for it to be of any significance.

suprefan
07-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Brandon. Speed Racer is incredible eye candy cause of Christina Ricci, but that's it.

fixed...

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 05:12 PM
She looks hot when she's anorexic and when she's voluptuous, that bitch.

chairmenmeow47
07-15-2009, 05:13 PM
To an extent, yes. I would argue that a lot more of the laughs in Borat were generated by the reactions of the real people in the film to Borat and the racist, anti-semitic, sexist or xenophobic statements they made or behavior they exhibited, rather than coming just from Borat making a total ass of himself.

Obviously, a wider range of taboo topics were satirized in Borat, but I just don't think Bruno was half as successful at satirizing homophobia.

Borat was a racist, anti-semitic, sexist, xenophobic character who was able to satirize those beliefs by exposing them in ordinary every day Americans. Bruno is a flamboyant, fey, sexually aggressive homosexual who attempts to expose people's homophobia but instead largely plays into misconceptions or gross stereotypes of homosexuals. His behavior as "the homosexual" is outrageous and distasteful and freakish and so the reactions of the real people in Bruno don't seem half as outrageous as they did in Borat.

The problem with Bruno - or any other movie - trying to "expose homophobia" is that there's too fucking much homophobia out in the open (http://www.protectmarriage.com/) for it to be of any significance.

both excellent points. i haven't seen bruno, but i want to. i think borat was better at getting people to agree WITH him, whereas it sounds like bruno is better at getting people to just flat out be AGAINST him. at least, that's how i remember it from the ali g show.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 05:16 PM
So Borat leads people to see how far they'll follow, and Bruno is hate-bait.

Must say, Sacha Baron Cohen is kinda fit.

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Hated Borat, don't want to see Bruno.

GrossMagic
07-15-2009, 05:41 PM
SO EPIC!

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/oCAJVuSUCEw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/oCAJVuSUCEw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

SoulDischarge
07-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Bruno is more of an outrageous gross out type comedy than a biting piece of satire, and it was pretty funny as that, although I doubt it'll have much replay value. Still, I think it's pretty obvious that Cohen wasn't trying to make some kind of point like "Look how intolerant these people are for not accepting this crass stereotype." Rather, the point seemed to be to show how willingly people buy into such an obvious caricature of what *** bashers think a homosexual acts like. Anyone who knows any actual gay people would spot Bruno as a phony in seconds. Anyone with a shred of common sense or a sense of humor would spot him as a phony as well. It's pretty much just Tom Green with a lisp. I can't imagine anyone getting truly offended other than thinking he's an insufferable jackass.

Courtney
07-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Saw new Harry Potter matinee today. Probably the politest audience I've sat with in a long time. No talking; no cell phones. Impressive.

The movie itself was somewhat disappointing. Despite clocking in at two and half hours, it somehow managed to feel more like a preface than a satisfying, self-encapsulated story. That being said, the set design was glorious, as is the norm for the series. And the newest installment does deliver on the sort of earnestly charming film making that I have come to expect from Harry Potter, thankfully mostly stopping short of the saccharine.

JustSteve
07-15-2009, 08:14 PM
i teared up a bit during the preview for "where the wild things are". i had seen the preview on my comp, but seeing it on the huge screen with that song was amazing. so many great memories from my childhood with that book...and now it is my daughter's favorite book!

of course, the first time i read it to her as an adult i had to just laugh at how ridiculous the writing is.

that preview for (i think it was called) "2012" looked fuckin' crazy...

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm really looking forward to Where The Wild Things are. The trailer is wonderful, and even the script had me a little bit shiny-eyed. But I think I'd kind of like to see it in a cinema full of folks who'd read the book when they were kids. :(

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Gonna watch Nausicaa for the first time in about 5 years tonight
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa261/dfuneral/Movies/nausicaa.gif

It's an early Hayao Miyazaki film from the early '80s and it is really, really great. It's very much a pre-cursor to the much bigger, richer Princess Mononoke, except as a science fiction piece. Highly recommended!

Courtney
07-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah, that Where The Wild Things Are trailer is spot on. I wonder how kids respond to it; it feels like it's definitely more targeted to our demographic.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Makes me feel really nostalgic, for all those fond memories I've got of reading it as a kid. Memories I don't actually have, since I never read it as a kid. An impressive achievement, really, to actually warp my grounding in reality.

Courtney
07-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Ahaha. Yes. Or maybe it's just the Arcade Fire.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Or the gin.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Probably both though, honestly.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
from what I've read about and seen from WTWTA, the film is going to be less an adaptation of the (VERY SHORT) book and moreso Jonz' personal interpretation of the meaning of the book, kind of like making an entire movie out of a one-page poem

i am very excited

On another note, I saw the opera version of it, which Maurice Sendak himself designed (he did a lot of opera in the '70s, including an incredible version of The Nutcracker, which still tours today) when it came to L.A. in the late '80s. It featured monstrous costumes and an incredible set

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0605/20080605__20080608_E05_AE08STATEDANCE.B-9W9~p2_500.JPG

Courtney
07-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Anthony Lane's review of Half-Blood Prince just got put up on the New Yorker website. I don't fully understand why critics are harping on the various sexual undercurrents as being unfulfilled; it's a PG-rated movie for children.

I do like his comparison of Hogwarts to Gotham City, with the question of whether a film of this sort needs to be taken into "dark and edgy" territory to be successful.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I still can't stop laughing at that poor kid with Swine Flu.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Uh, that probably sums me up as a human being though.

Hannahrain
07-15-2009, 10:50 PM
http://www.amazon.com/United-Artists-30-Film-Deluxe-Giftset/dp/B000WC39ZO

This just went up on Woot for $50. Thought maybe someone might want it.

Blinken
07-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks Hannah, I just ordered it.

hawkingvsreeve
07-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Speed Racer. Pretty terrible. Campy as fuck. Terrible script. Mediocre to poor acting. Montage mayhem.

But sweet Jesus is that a workout for your TV. It was like watching CSI Miami for two hours. Colors were EXTREMELY saturated and rich. It was like a candy store for the eyes, but got exhausting after a while. It does suffer from the Transformers syndrome, where everything is moving so fast it's hard to tell just what the hell is happening, but when it was visible, it was pretty to look at.

M Sparks
07-16-2009, 12:37 AM

The Birdcage?

THE BIRDCAGE!?!

hawkingvsreeve
07-16-2009, 12:39 AM
My roommate thought it was great. He must have watched a different film. He has been known to be a huge bad movie apologist.

Courtney
07-16-2009, 12:43 AM

That would be a good gift for someone who you think you're supposed to get a big gift for, but don't really care/want to spend the money. Good find.

roberto73
07-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Speed Racer. Pretty terrible. Campy as fuck. Terrible script. Mediocre to poor acting. Montage mayhem.

But sweet Jesus is that a workout for your TV. It was like watching CSI Miami for two hours. Colors were EXTREMELY saturated and rich. It was like a candy store for the eyes, but got exhausting after a while. It does suffer from the Transformers syndrome, where everything is moving so fast it's hard to tell just what the hell is happening, but when it was visible, it was pretty to look at.

I still think Stef's review of it is the most accurate one I've read: "Like being stabbed in the eyes with rainbows."

tessalasset
07-16-2009, 11:25 AM
loved harry potter.

indietron
07-16-2009, 12:26 PM
harry potter was brilliant

higgybaby23
07-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Anthony Lane's review of Half-Blood Prince just got put up on the New Yorker website. I don't fully understand why critics are harping on the various sexual undercurrents as being unfulfilled; it's a PG-rated movie for children.

I do like his comparison of Hogwarts to Gotham City, with the question of whether a film of this sort needs to be taken into "dark and edgy" territory to be successful.

If a director wants to semi-accuratley translate the HP stories to film, then there is no choice but to take it in "dark and edgy" places. The 4th book(Goblet of Fire) starts off with a murder and also ends with one. I'm not sure how you can sugar coat that. The Half-Blood Prince was a pretty brutal book, definitely not for younger children. I felt the brillance of the books was Rowling's abililty to take a twee children's story and evolve it into a very adult one.

amyzzz
07-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Filmmakers clearly can't or WON'T match Rowling's ability to do that. They want it to be a series of kids movies.

higgybaby23
07-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Filmmakers clearly can't or WON'T match Rowling's ability to do that. They want it to be a series of kids movies.

Sadly Amy, I think your right. They can't see the forest for the dollar signs. I'm still anxious as hell to see the new flick though. Once your an HP addict, there is no cure.

amyzzz
07-16-2009, 01:07 PM
The sad thing is, I KNOW there is a group of adult fans who only watch the movies and haven't read the books -- if the directors had more vision and tried to incorporate the more adult side of HP, that group would only grow larger.

higgybaby23
07-16-2009, 01:18 PM
The sad thing is, I KNOW there is a group of adult fans who only watch the movies and haven't read the books -- if the directors had more vision and tried to incorporate the more adult side of HP, that group would only grow larger.

I'd be willing to bet that a vast majority of adults have only seen the movies. Oh well, their loss.

schoolofruckus
07-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Being a fan of Jess Weixler's performance in Alexander The Last, I contacted Rod Lurie and urged him to consider casting her in the Susan George role in his Straw Dogs remake. He took my advice and met with her, but finally decided to go with Kate Bosworth.

Lurie has written the Straw Dogs script and will begin directing it in rural Mississippi in August. He told me a while ago that he did a lot of research on the original Sam Peckinpah version, including reading old yellowed drafts of the script and asking Dustin Hoffman for advice about casting the David Sumner role.

One interesting sidenote is that back in 1971 "no name actress would come within a mile of [the Susan George] role," he mentioned. Bosworth was no doubt influenced by the first-rate performance that Kate Beckinsale delivered in Lurie's Nothing But The Truth, but the Straw Dogs character isn't going to be substantially different than the one George played so that in itself makes Bosworth look pretty fearless.

An insider-the-looper claimed earlier today in an e-mail that she's going to give "a ballsy ballsy performance."

Alexander (son of Stellan) Skarsgard is going to play her ex-boyfriend and plunderer. James Marsden will play the Dustin Hoffman role, although it's a different character -- i.e., a lot less dweeby and cowardly and socially awkward. He'll be playing a moderately smooth, go-with-the-flow L.A. screenwriter who relocates with his actress wife (Bosworth) to her Mississippi hometown in order to finish a script.

Will Lurie be shooting in Tupelo? Philadelphia? If it's Oxford he'd better watch the wifi.

Skarsgard (who's 6' 4") will play Bosworth's her ex-high school boyfriend who was a top jock in his heyday. Ancient Chinese curse: "May you peak in high school."

This is going to be fucking TERRIBLE.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I saw Straw Dogs for the first time about 3 months ago. That is one fucking uncomfortable movie, and really, really good.

i can't see any point in making a remake AT ALL...how is that story palatable to today's mass audiences? (ANSWER: it will be nothing like the original whatsoever)

I don't like Bosworth though, so the idea of seeing her play a conniving, screeching unsympathetic whore sounds good to me

EDIT: i just read that entire blurb, hahahaha way to perpetuate Southern stereotypes, Hollywood

JustSteve
07-16-2009, 01:34 PM

quite a few years ago i was in the hospital and my mom bought me a box set of the first 4 books. i read all 4 of them within about 6 days, reading all day and continuing 'til almost 4 am each night, i could not put them down. it was before the movies came out and i'm glad i did it that way.

stuporfly
07-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I hadn't read any of the Harry Potter books until recently, primarily because I wanted to enjoy them with my daughter when she was old enough to trade chapters with me. We're on Goblet of Fire at the moment.

I've liked the films, as has my daughter. I think maybe because we approached the whole Harry Potter thing in this way, we've been able to enjoy both the books and films in their own right.

We actually went to see the new one this afternoon after I picked her up from day camp, but a transformer blew up at the theater and they closed. Perhaps another day.

CuervoPH
07-16-2009, 01:58 PM
but a transformer blew up at the theater and they closed. Perhaps another day.

Damn that Michael Bay!

sbessiso
07-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Wes Anderson's The Fantastic Mr. Fox

http://img.filmsactu.com/datas/films/f/a/fantastic-mister-fox/xl/4a5f40f65e2d1.jpg
http://img.filmsactu.com/datas/films/f/a/fantastic-mister-fox/xl/4a5f40fbb1849.jpg

amyzzz
07-16-2009, 02:30 PM
My friend and my sister-in-law both encouraged me to read all the books that were out before the first movie came out, and I've picked up each new book as it came out. I think I like books 3 and 5 the best (although book 6 is pretty twisted).

AlecEiffel
07-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't understand how people that have not read the books would understand what's going on in the Order of the Phoenix or Half Blood Prince movies. They are decent as companion pieces to the novels but terrible films. Sure, things look nice and there are good performances and funny parts, but anything that's intended to cause an emotional reaction falls completely flat. This director has an incredible ability to make a major characters death seem like no big deal at all.

AlecEiffel
07-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Also, Fantastic Mr. Fox looks terrifying.

RotationSlimWang
07-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I have no idea why the filmmakers wouldn't want to make a more adult Harry Potter series of films. Except that they're fucking childrens' books. Or that the vast majority of the intended audience are children. Or that pretty much any adult who's a fan of the books probably has kids and therefore would be going to see the movie anyway.

Or maybe it's because the entire thing is crap with a bunch of made-up names for magical retarded shit.

MissingPerson
07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Mr. Fox is way cuter than he is in the illustrations.

This is a good thing, by the way, because I am a blasphemous traitor and always found Quentin Blake's illustrations a bit cold and harsh to my young little eyes, in a way the stories weren't.

Unlike WTWTA, I did actually read all Roald Dahl's stuff as a young'un.

AlecEiffel
07-16-2009, 03:19 PM
They started as childrens books and became YA novels as it's initial audience got older. The last couple books are by no means the kind of stuff you'd want a little kid reading.

RotationSlimWang
07-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Yeah I'm sure they're fucking terrifying. You people are tight-assed dorks. A lot of seminal children's literature is truly ghastly. Kids, much like adults, are entertained by such things. What exactly in those books would be so bad for a little kid to read, praytell? Is there a lot of drugs and anal?

No. There's beasts and monsters and evil magic powers and people die.

humanoid
07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
No. There's beasts and monsters and evil magic powers and people die.

and just a little bit of anal

RotationSlimWang
07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Seriously--explain to me what the fuck about those books is possible scarier for a child to read than Jabberwocky or LOTR.

higgybaby23
07-16-2009, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't say the latter HP books are inappropriate for children, just that the subject matter would be somewhat confusing for the toddler set. Those subjects are specifically the burgeoning sexuality of the main characters, coming to terms with mortality and the pressures of being moral in an immoral world. Yes, the plot is generally for kids. But, the overarching themes and subject matter are heavy for anyone.

On the topic of censorship and children, I don't really believe in it. I was exposed to ultra-violence and hard core porn at around age 6. My world view may be warped, but at least it prepared me for the horrors of real life.

HowToDisappear
07-16-2009, 03:43 PM
A few creative deaths/punishments of characters in Grimm's Fairy Tales that I can remember from my childhood:

1)eyes put out with red hot pokers

2)drawn and quartered

3)placed naked in a nail-studded barrel and then dragged through the streets by a team of white horses

MissingPerson
07-16-2009, 03:43 PM
I could have lived with not seeing that bit where the guy melts in Robocop as a kid, but otherwise I agree.

MissingPerson
07-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Yeah, the Grimms were a torture goldmine.

My personal favourite was the ugly sisters having to dance themselves to death in red hot iron boots.

The Pied Piper was my favourite story overall though, for general weird creepiness.

PotVsKtl
07-16-2009, 03:55 PM
They're children's books. They're children's movies. The idea that it matters whether or not the children that watch them know what the fuck is going on is pretty ridiculous.

AlecEiffel
07-16-2009, 03:57 PM
It's tone, not content. There is a difference in the way things are written. The typical Grimm story may have horrific elements but it's written (or at least translated) very matter of factly and generally happens to an undeveloped character you were introduced to a few paragraphs earlier, where in Harry Potter characters you've been made to love after 6 or 7 books and thousands of pages are abruptly and sometimes very shockingly killed and your left to read about the other characters you've grown to love mourn them. Also, if you haven't noticed kids are being raised to be pussies now, so I bet a lot of kids aren't exposed to uncensored Grimm, Andersen or various mythologies. Just look at the difference between children's movies in the 80s and children's movies now.

RotationSlimWang
07-16-2009, 05:18 PM
So you don't think children should read anything in which anything dies? Are you a fucking idiot?

Bambi's mother dying is a more emotionally fucked up thing for a kid to watch than anything in the goddamn Harry Potter series. You're thinking of children like they shouldn't try to comprehend the human condition.

atom heart
07-16-2009, 05:51 PM
I could have lived with not seeing that bit where the guy melts in Robocop as a kid, but otherwise I agree.

QFT

MissingPerson
07-16-2009, 05:54 PM
"MEEEEEEEEEEEEELP MUUUUUHH!"

atom heart
07-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Children's movies in the 80s seemed to be more about grotesquerie than the truly frightening. Granted, I watched stuff like Dark Crystal when I was a lot older, so I don't know what effect it would have. Personally, I think I would have loved the world and the creatures.

RotationSlimWang
07-16-2009, 05:57 PM
I just don't understand what kind of pussy-ass ****** little kids anyone thinks they'd be raising by not letting a child read these books. Granted, reading them would also make a pussy-ass ****** out of the kid, but probably less so than withholding from them any entertainment in which--oh NO--sad things happen. They'd just be a pussy-ass little ****** kid in a cape, which they usually eventually grow out of.

MissingPerson
07-16-2009, 05:59 PM
That kind of attitude would have deprived the world of Superman.

RotationSlimWang
07-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Superman's probably the worst superhero there is, from a story perspective.

MissingPerson
07-16-2009, 06:02 PM
I've seen Kill Bill 2 several times, I don't want to have this conversation.

RotationSlimWang
07-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Ha. Has nothing to do with that, although it was a well delivered monologue, but a shitty premise. Tarantino can go fuck himself with that noise.

benhur
07-16-2009, 11:59 PM
nightmare before christmas was the freakiest shit as a kid

tessalasset
07-17-2009, 01:26 AM
i saw 500 days of summer tonight (thanks gabe). it was fantastic. i recommend it highly. and i have a thing for jgl all over again. what a stud.

PotVsKtl
07-17-2009, 01:28 AM
Jorge Gruben Lieberheim?

tessalasset
07-17-2009, 01:35 AM
such a hottie

JewFace
07-17-2009, 10:27 AM
500 Days of Summer. The first "romantic" film I've wanted to seen in ages. It looks, dare I say it, charming. Tess, any further details on what made the film so appealing to you?

chairmenmeow47
07-17-2009, 10:36 AM
A few creative deaths/punishments of characters in Grimm's Fairy Tales that I can remember from my childhood:

1)eyes put out with red hot pokers

2)drawn and quartered

3)placed naked in a nail-studded barrel and then dragged through the streets by a team of white horses

4) the farmer who cut off his daughter's hand to give to the devil for better crops or something.

i used to read these before bed as a kid. holy shit who let me do that.

also put me in the non-censored crowd. my dad still feels guilty for taking me to see jfk, though surprisingly my parents never seem to feel guilty for taking me to disclosure, fuck was that uncomfortable. or T2, i remember that intro shot of the terminator in the flames had me literally running out of the theatre crying. they only seemed to ever have a problem with dazed & confused, due to the drugs.

and fuck the birdcage haters. i cannot wear shoes, because they cause me to fall down.

wmgaretjax
07-17-2009, 10:41 AM
i love levitt... but 500 Days of Summer was the worst independent romantic film i've seen since Garden State. same kind of fucking obnoxious, ridiculously self-conscious, hip bullshit.

amyzzz
07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
In some versions of Cinderella, one of the step sisters cut off part of her foot to fit into the glass slipper, and the servant was fooled until he saw the blood pouring out of the shoe while they were galloping on horseback to the castle. Oogy.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Agador is one of the greatest film characters of all time
http://www.firebyrd.com/krpg/images/agador.jpg

chairmenmeow47
07-17-2009, 10:46 AM
he's great in both versions. i really need to watch la cage again.

HowToDisappear
07-17-2009, 10:56 AM
In some versions of Cinderella, one of the step sisters cut off part of her foot to fit into the glass slipper, and the servant was fooled until he saw the blood pouring out of the shoe while they were galloping on horseback to the castle. Oogy.

I loved myths, legends, folklore and fairy tales of all nations when I was a kid.

I only found out recently that I had read the more sanitized version of one of my favorites, the Irish legend of Deirdre of the Sorrows. In the grittier version, she doesn't drop dead of grief after she sees her lover Naoise and his brothers beheaded. Instead she is taken as a sex slave by the very pissed off, spurned king, and passed around to all his generals for several years after. She commits suicide by throwing herself out of a speeding chariot in desperation.

Okay, back to movies.

schoolofruckus
07-17-2009, 11:05 AM
i love levitt... but 500 Days of Summer was the worst independent romantic film i've seen since Garden State. same kind of fucking obnoxious, ridiculously self-conscious, hip bullshit.

Worse than Juno? Or are you not counting that as romantic?

wmgaretjax
07-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Worse than Juno? Or are you not counting that as romantic?

I wasn't counting that as romantic. not quite as bad... but in the same league.

rage patton
07-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Funny thing about when I saw Harry Potter... there were almost no kids in the theatre. I would say, no exaggeration, that 80% of the theatre was females between the age of 16-19. I would also say almost half of those girls were dressed up too.

amyzzz
07-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh dang. I forgot about the dressing-up aspect. I hope Barbara dresses up!

JewFace
07-17-2009, 11:30 AM
I didn't realize it was possible to make an independent romantic film worse than Garden State. The leads must be more appealing, though, yes? I mean, I can't think of a less appealing leading man for a romance than Zach Braff (Joseph Goebbels?)

wmgaretjax
07-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I didn't realize it was possible to make an independent romantic film worse than Garden State. The leads must be more appealing, though, yes? I mean, I can't think of a less appealing leading man for a romance than Zach Braff (Joseph Goebbels?)

The acting is better, and the characters are less obnoxious. But the same root problems plague this film as that one.

humanoid
07-17-2009, 12:04 PM

replacing Zach Braff in any of his roles so far with Joseph Goebbels, is a fascinating scenario indeed

amyzzz
07-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Maybe you should give up on the genre altogether. Are there any independent romantic films you like?

schoolofruckus
07-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I liked:

Before Sunrise and Before Sunset
Once
Quiet City

Lars and the Real Girl wasn't great, but I enjoyed it. At least the main character's journey of self-exploration wasn't nearly as on-the-nose as in Garden State.

wmgaretjax
07-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Before Sunrise and Before Sunset
Quiet City

I liked those. Others I've enjoyed off the top of my head:

Wild at Heart
Chasing Amy
Me, You and Everyone We Know
Yes
Happy Go-Lucky
Cowards Bend the Knee (ha)

schoolofruckus
07-17-2009, 12:31 PM
And I like the first three on your list. In fact, more than any of the ones I named.

M Sparks
07-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Maybe you should give up on the genre altogether. Are there any independent romantic films you like?

Fear, Anxiety, & Depression is the best/worst "indie romance" film ever. Why is this so impossible to find now? Did Solondz burn the master or something?

MissingPerson
07-17-2009, 12:37 PM
I only found out recently that I had read the more sanitized version of one of my favorites, the Irish legend of Deirdre of the Sorrows. In the grittier version, she doesn't drop dead of grief after she sees her lover Naoise and his brothers beheaded. Instead she is taken as a sex slave by the very pissed off, spurned king, and passed around to all his generals for several years after. She commits suicide by throwing herself out of a speeding chariot in desperation.

This last few pages, I've been thinking about Deirdre of the Sorrows, yeah.

And that's it, by the way, that's the end of the story. There's no happy ending or moral or anything. Deirdre falls in love with Naoise, his brothers get roped into the whole mess, everybody dies unhappily.

Supposedly, during it's multi-ethnic movie heyday, Disney had people trawling through Irish mythology for some nice public-domain inspiration. They gave up when they couldn't find a happy ending.

schoolofruckus
07-17-2009, 12:51 PM
No, THIS (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/b080b3abab/my-mother-s-red-hat-w-alicia-silverstone-alanis-morissette) is the best/worst indie romantic comedy ever.

Courtney
07-17-2009, 02:32 PM
I'd go see it.

TomAz
07-17-2009, 02:51 PM
That looks dreadful. That's like a 3 inch cake covered in 6 inches of frosting.

TomAz
07-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't understand how people that have not read the books would understand what's going on in the Order of the Phoenix or Half Blood Prince movies. They are decent as companion pieces to the novels but terrible films. Sure, things look nice and there are good performances and funny parts, but anything that's intended to cause an emotional reaction falls completely flat. This director has an incredible ability to make a major characters death seem like no big deal at all.

I disagree with all of this except the last sentence. I also found the death of the 'major character' to be anticlimactic.

But I did enjoy the movie. The guy that plays Malfoy - Tom Felton - did a really great job.

real talk
07-17-2009, 03:29 PM
No, THIS (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/b080b3abab/my-mother-s-red-hat-w-alicia-silverstone-alanis-morissette) is the best/worst indie romantic comedy ever.

"The premiere of an instrumental drum track...performed by a kitten."

hahahaheeeeeeeeeeeee

tessalasset
07-17-2009, 04:08 PM

i laughed out loud.

funny this came up... there was a Q&A with the screenwriter after 500 Days and he said he basically got into screenwriting because he wanted to be a music supervisor. that's his first real love.

tessalasset
07-17-2009, 04:08 PM
I disagree with all of this except the last sentence. I also found the death of the 'major character' to be anticlimactic.

But I did enjoy the movie. The guy that plays Malfoy - Tom Felton - did a really great job.

am i the only one who thinks tom felton is actually getting kinda hot?

crazzz2007
07-17-2009, 04:10 PM
am i the only one who thinks tom felton is actually getting kinda hot?

aren't you supposed to be gay?

Courtney
07-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Tom Felton looks like he should join a boy band.

Emma Watson (Hermione) is by far the hottest Harry Potter actor. She is adorable.

MissingPerson
07-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Okay, well now I don't know where anybody stands.

miscorrections
07-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Emma Watson is cute but FOR GOD'S SAKE (AND MINE) STOP ACTING WITH YOUR EYEBROWS. Her eyebrows do astonishing gymnastics because apparently that's the only way she knows how to emote. Fuck.

miscorrections
07-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Tom Felton looks old and Daniel Radcliffe isn't that great on the eyes. Rupert Grint needs a haircut. The guy who played Oliver Wood was pretty cute.

schoolofruckus
07-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Tessa's hella gay, quit playing.

amyzzz
07-17-2009, 04:31 PM
I haven't seen the new one yet, but in the PAST, Emma Watson was always the best of the kid actors IMO.

miscorrections
07-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Emma "Eyebrows" Watson.

MissingPerson
07-17-2009, 04:33 PM
I think I kinda fancy Rupert Grint. When and how this happened, I'm unsure. Possibly around the time he got Swine Flu?

Either way, I'm uncomfortable with it, because in my mind he's still about twelve.

amyzzz
07-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Dunno.... He's a redhead. :cat

MissingPerson
07-17-2009, 04:46 PM
The novelty is somewhat diminished roundabout these parts.

Also:
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/6443/1227635635559wl2.jpg

amyzzz
07-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Redheads are about 1 per...every 200 people here I think.

MissingPerson
07-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Redhead appreciation thread.

They'll be extinct soon you know. I mean, they're less rare here than most places, but still. My granny's generation were all redheads. The only redhead in my generation of the family is a lesbian. Breed up, gingers, protect your instantly sunburned heritage.

JewFace
07-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Tsk, tsk. Derailing another thread, are we, MP? ;)

I heard an interesting story on NPR during my lunch hour today. John Horn of the LA Times was interviewed about the state of the summer movie business. He says people are still going to the movies, but they're being more selective in their choices and counting on their friends' opinions more than critical acclaim of clever marketing. Apparently bad word of mouth surrounding Bruno spread so fast, that it's box office proceeds dove 40% from it's Friday opening to it's first Saturday and he believes this is a trend we will continue to see.

Some interesting excerpts below...

"Even if they had a turkey, [studios] would know that they could maybe get two weeks of business before the stink really caught up to the film," he says. "Now they have 12 hours."

Sacha Baron Cohen's newest film Bruno is one such example. The film was marketed well, and audiences who were familiar with Cohen's previous film, Borat, gave Bruno big opening-night ticket sales. By Saturday, however, Bruno's box office numbers had fallen by 40 percent — an unheard of number, according to Horn.

"So what that says is that people came out of that movie and told their friends not to go see it," says Horn. "When movies are not recommended by their friends, they fall faster then they've ever fallen."

Horn says this phenomenon puts pressure on studios to make better movies, especially when ticket sales can go south within a matter of hours:

"People will come out of the theater so quickly, and share their opinion so fast, and that word will spread so virally, that if a movie is bad, the audience will know it by Friday night and the movie will be dead by Saturday."

Listen to the complete story here (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106742097).

MissingPerson
07-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Tsk, tsk. Derailing another thread, are we, MP? ;)

Uh, whoops.

My bad folks, sorry.

atom heart
07-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Tom Felton was pretty good. It's come to the point in these movies where the villains are way more interesting than anyone else. I mean, that's usually the case but I didn't feel this way about any of the Potter films until now. Maybe it's because Sirius (Gary Oldman) got killed.

Also, I can't stand funerals in films, so I thought the end was good.

Hopefully going to see Moon tomorrow. That'll bring my summer movie watching to two blockbuster types and two indie types.

tessalasset
07-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Horn says this phenomenon puts pressure on studios to make better movies

oh no! anything but that!

tessalasset
07-18-2009, 12:32 AM
aren't you supposed to be gay?
that was a rumor started by rue. i am of the heterosexual persuasion.

also, MP - i am a total irish redhead and the rest of my family is blonde and tan. they think i got it from a great great aunt somewhere in the line. i will burn in about 10 minutes, but most of the time it just fades into a tan instead of peeling away.

thestripe
07-18-2009, 12:38 AM
:dumbo

Courtney
07-18-2009, 12:50 AM
also, MP - i am a total irish redhead and the rest of my family is blonde and tan. they think i got it from a great great aunt somewhere in the line. i will burn in about 10 minutes, but most of the time it just fades into a tan instead of peeling away.

I'm not sure if that counts as a real irish redhead if your skin actually tans instead of just peeling.

Personally, I'm currently a redhead of the bottle variety, but might as well be the real deal given how easily I burn. It's the Irish genes no doubt.

tessalasset
07-18-2009, 01:34 AM
that's just because i'm very good about it. i carry suntan lotion with me everywhere. if i spend a couple hours out in straight sunlight, i will burn so badly that it peels. but i take care to either lather up or get in some shade if i feel my skin heating up, so it never gets that bad and just fades.

this is also why sasquatch was pretty horrible for me. there was almost no shade anywhere if you wanted to watch a set. the main stage was killer.

Young blood
07-18-2009, 01:39 AM
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/Scissorhands_8/dog-bounty-hunter.jpg

TomAz
07-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Emma Watson (Hermione) is by far the hottest Harry Potter actor. She is adorable.

I first misread this as 'best actor' and I had started to line up all the reasons why this was not so but then I saw it said 'hottest' and I couldn't disagree.

Ardentbiscuit
07-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Click the link, just do it!

I just want add, I love this clip. It sums up indie road trip movies in a nutshell.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/b080b3abab/my-mother-s-red-hat-w-alicia-silverstone-alanis-morissette

schoolofruckus
07-18-2009, 02:18 PM

Almost exactly 24 hours ago.

Ardentbiscuit
07-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Almost exactly 24 hours ago.

Oh well it happens.

I blame you because you didn't put enough key words in the body of the message for me to find it in a search! :)

Courtney
07-18-2009, 03:04 PM
I first misread this as 'best actor' and I had started to line up all the reasons why this was not so but then I saw it said 'hottest' and I couldn't disagree.

Tom and I have the same taste in child actors. High five.

MissingPerson
07-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Oh, we'll have to testify about this one alright. Sooner or later.

M Sparks
07-18-2009, 04:09 PM

What does "Unfortgettable" mean?

Petrichor
07-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Saw Olivier Assayas' Summer Hours at the IFC Center earlier today. Beautiful film. See it if it opens near you.

w3sXf4aEygs

RotationSlimWang
07-18-2009, 05:24 PM
What does "Unfortgettable" mean?

Means you can't fort that shit, motherfucker.

MissingPerson
07-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Means you can't fort that shit, motherfucker.

Sweet.

TomAz
07-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Tom and I have the same taste in child actors. High five.

Oh, we'll have to testify about this one alright. Sooner or later.

She's 19.

Hannahrain
07-18-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm watching Waco: The Rules of Engagement and it's inexplicably dry. I'm amazed that someone was able take something so revoltingly fascinating and portray it in a way that makes it seem so boring. It's like the entire siege is a conference call about overdraft protection.

I fold. Maybe another time. If I wanted to lose retention of this much information about Waco, I'd buy a book and then leave it on the bus.

schoolofruckus
07-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Jen and I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind last night. It was one of the better Spielberg movies I've seen, but I still felt it was lacking. I loved the story and it was brilliantly executed on a visual level. But on a character level, there was next to nothing to enjoy. Dreyfuss' character was as thinly-developed as your average Roland Emmerich protagonist, and the young mother whose child is abducted by the visitors shows a regard for getting him back that can most kindly be described as schizophrenic. The movie was about as thrilling as a film with zero human appeal can possibly be, with the last half being particularly strong. But ultimately, I'll probably remember it as one of the earliest examples of Spielberg's chronic inability to portray human beings as anything more than props in a spectacular set piece.

MissingPerson
07-19-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm watching Waco: The Rules of Engagement and it's inexplicably dry. I'm amazed that someone was able take something so revoltingly fascinating and portray it in a way that makes it seem so boring. It's like the entire siege is a conference call about overdraft protection.

I fold. Maybe another time. If I wanted to lose retention of this much information about Waco, I'd buy a book and then leave it on the bus.

This is the best review written by anyone about anything.

M Sparks
07-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Dreyfuss' character was as thinly-developed as your average Roland Emmerich protagonist...I'll probably remember it as one of the earliest examples of Spielberg's chronic inability to portray human beings as anything more than props in a spectacular set piece.

I remember reading or hearing about Spielberg saying that he wouldn't be able to write the same ending today...where Dreyfuss essentially abandons his family. I thought "Oh, did he? Hmmm...never thought about that." Like, the issue wasn't really addressed at all...he's got a wife and kids for a while, and then he goes to do something else. I mean, maybe that was the point, that he was so single minded that he totally forgot his family, but I think it was just poor writing.

M Sparks
07-19-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm watching Waco: The Rules of Engagement and it's inexplicably dry. I'm amazed that someone was able take something so revoltingly fascinating and portray it in a way that makes it seem so boring.

To be fair, even Bill Hicks was incapable of doing much but make fun of the name of the church.

Qw1oZ9oSroo

humanoid
07-19-2009, 03:18 PM
To be fair, even Bill Hicks was incapable of doing much but make fun of the name of the church.

Qw1oZ9oSroo

that was completely devoid of anything remotely interesting or funny

M Sparks
07-19-2009, 06:49 PM
that was completely devoid of anything remotely interesting or funny

Yeah, and he didn't even stick it out to the end. Later on when he actually did a funny routine on the subject, he claims he was out of the country when the assault happened. Very disappointing.

schoolofruckus
07-19-2009, 10:41 PM
I remember reading or hearing about Spielberg saying that he wouldn't be able to write the same ending today...where Dreyfuss essentially abandons his family. I thought "Oh, did he? Hmmm...never thought about that." Like, the issue wasn't really addressed at all...he's got a wife and kids for a while, and then he goes to do something else. I mean, maybe that was the point, that he was so single minded that he totally forgot his family, but I think it was just poor writing.

I agree entirely. You could get away with making a man's abandonment of his entire life (family included) work as a manifestation of obsession. But you have to create at least semi-believable characters first or it has no impact.

On another note - in anticipation of Lorna's Silence coming out in a couple weeks, I watched La Promesse tonight. I fucking loved it. It's about a young boy (Jeremie Renier, the lead actor from L'Enfant) who helps his father (Olivier Gourmet, the lead actor from Le Fils) run a halfway house for migrant workers. If you've ever seen another Dardenne brothers movie, you know what you're in for - minimalist, ultra-realistic character study of the Belgian lower-class. Brilliant acting and terrific storytelling; these guys are as good as it gets in terms of mining a deceptively simple narrative for complex emotions.

chairmenmeow47
07-20-2009, 09:43 AM
i heard that article too, jewface. totally agree. i used to be satisfied with a "meh" action flick, but with all the CGI, i can't even get into that anymore.

saw harry potter, wish i hadn't known the only interest part of the movie before going in; that was probably my least favourite of the movies, though i don't read the books. the love story shit was so completely unneccessary. i obviously haven't been paying attention because i thought the recently legal chick & the red head kid were already "snogging". i do like that creepy little blonde chick, i hope she is in the next one. the young voldermort (sp?) was good too. i just hope i am still interested when the next one comes out, i'm starting to not give a shit.

real talk
07-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Best Harry Potter movie ever.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-20-2009, 10:14 AM
i watched SWING KIDS last night and it was pretty good.

it's weird to watch a period piece that aims to get everything as accurate as possible except have it take place in Germany and have all American actors speaking not only English but having no accents (with some exceptions where really evil Nazi characters or some older -not all- characters have really thick German accents, which confuses things even more).

Once I was able to get past that i really liked it. Lots of great swing dancing, interesting look at the Hitler Youth program, and interesting look at the struggles that normal German people who did not share the beliefs of the Nazis had to deal with during that time

PotVsKtl
07-20-2009, 02:28 PM
w5YXZ9RtOms

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-20-2009, 02:34 PM
what the fuck was that?

sbessiso
07-20-2009, 03:27 PM
MOST ANTICIPATED MOVIE EVER!!!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs185.snc1/6180_106778130747_525175747_2298000_3939147_n.jpg

schoolofruckus
07-20-2009, 03:37 PM
I wish I had reason to believe you're being ironic.

MissingPerson
07-20-2009, 03:40 PM
I really don't understand why they made that game of all games into a movie.

Plus, he had the blue and white getup for Sands of Time, dammit. That's the Prince from Warrior Within.

In all cases, notably unPersian.

chairmenmeow47
07-20-2009, 03:42 PM
i'd rather see a load runner movie myself.

bobert
07-20-2009, 04:12 PM

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs185.snc1/6180_106778130747_525175747_2298000_3939147_n.jpg

I'm amazed Bruckheimer didn't insist on having him in loincloth and nothing else.

schoolofruckus
07-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Too gay for Bruckheimer. If it were a Joel Silver picture, that's exactly what it would have been.

MissingPerson
07-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Poster reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean or something.

schoolofruckus
07-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Bruckheimer proves he's not just accidentally bad, he legitimately has no creative vision.

UUnoO17ZJgM

"Great adventure." "Wonderful action."

Ha ha.

PotVsKtl
07-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Poster reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean or something.

http://filmdrunk.lg1x8.simplecdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/gijoe2.jpg
http://filmdrunk.lg1x8.simplecdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/thespiritbanner.jpg
http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/ul/2247-REdsonjaMAIN.jpg
http://chrislejarzar.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/503494sin-city-posters.jpg

atom heart
07-20-2009, 05:22 PM

YES!

And on the anniversary of the landing... Moon!

PotVsKtl
07-20-2009, 05:27 PM
http://www.c64-wiki.com/images/f/fe/Lode_runner.jpg

M Sparks
07-20-2009, 05:42 PM

Lode Runner was the shit...put it on a double feature with Jumpman. (The most descriptive game name ever.)

M Sparks
07-20-2009, 05:43 PM

Define "Anticipated".

While you're at it, define "Movie".

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-20-2009, 06:20 PM
http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/ul/2247-REdsonjaMAIN.jpg

who the fuck cares enough about Red Sonja to actually pay to go see a movie nowadays?

humanoid
07-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I cared about Red Sonja in 1985, but that was because of Arnold

wmgaretjax
07-20-2009, 06:41 PM
w5YXZ9RtOms

I saw this earlier today. Pretty fantastic.

bmack86
07-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Troma does it again!

sbessiso
07-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Define "Anticipated".

While you're at it, define "Movie".

Just look at the poster again

M Sparks
07-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Just look at the poster again

I got nothin'

I think I had this for Sega Game Gear.

Sega
Game
Gear.

EDIT...no, my WIFE had it for Sega Game Gear. I sold it at a garage sale last year for a buck. By the way, that's how you know you've met your soul mate, when she owns the same lame failed game system as you. She didn't have an Atari Jaguar though.

M Sparks
07-20-2009, 11:12 PM
w5YXZ9RtOms

Uhh...what about Kingdom Of The Crystal Skulls...

Boourns
07-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Just wait for the movie adaptation of Custer's Revenge.

M Sparks
07-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Just wait for the movie adaptation of Custer's Revenge.

I heard Joel Schumacher is doing "Beat 'Em & Eat 'Em"

dorkfish
07-21-2009, 12:45 AM
I got nothin'

I think I had this for Sega Game Gear.

Sega
Game
Gear.

Sega Game Gear wasn't lame.

MissingPerson
07-21-2009, 07:03 AM
It did consume batteries at an ecologically terrifying rate though.

Chakan: The Forever Man FTW!

sonofhal
07-21-2009, 07:52 AM
The Atari Lynx had to be the most hardcore battery eater i've ever come across.

Hannahrain
07-21-2009, 05:10 PM
I just wrote a longer review for this, and then I suffered a connectivity issue while previewing it and lost everything. So, this will be short. And irked.

Earlier this afternoon, I watched For All Mankind. I thought it was put together in a way that was nice and unstructured without feeling haphazard or clumsy. I also quite liked the absence of a singular narrator in favor of sound taken from old interviews. It was nice to see the footage speak for itself instead of having someone lay it all out on a table like a timeshare presentation. The only thing that put me off a bit was that they framed it on either side with Kennedy speech excerpts, which at this point feels pretty trite. Granted, the movie is twenty years old, but it was made a solid quarter-century after Kennedy's death and I'm willing to bet it was at least a bit hackneyed by then. Not that I'd know.

I also would have liked to hear more of Eno's scoring. I feel like if there were longer chunks of silent footage, he might have gotten a little more creative with it. I really enjoyed what was there, though. I can't think of a better candidate for tracking zero-gravity.

hawkingvsreeve
07-21-2009, 05:16 PM
I really don't understand why they made that game of all games into a movie.

Plus, he had the blue and white getup for Sands of Time, dammit. That's the Prince from Warrior Within.

In all cases, notably unPersian.

You continue to amaze me.

atom heart
07-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Buffed up Jake Gyllenhaal seems to strike all the wrong chords in me. Everything about this (especially the "interview" that was posted) is so thoroughly unconvincing to the point of hilarity. Somehow even GI Joe looks more solid.

TallGuyCM
07-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Somehow even GI Joe looks more solid.

That's when you know it's bad.

amyzzz
07-21-2009, 05:37 PM
I watched a couple movies that were just awful recently, but I guess I should've known not to watch them: Australia and the latest X-Files movie. I couldn't even finish X-Files it was so dull and incomprehensible, and Australia was just all syrupy sweetness--good guys, bad guys, and boredom.

MissingPerson
07-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Watching any of the later X Files output is like finding out your most beloved ex has been arrested for a crack mugging.

Once, Chris Carter, I thought we had a future.

amyzzz
07-21-2009, 05:48 PM
I felt bad for the actors even being associated with the brand anymore.

TallGuyCM
07-21-2009, 06:00 PM
I watched a couple movies that were just awful recently, but I guess I should've known not to watch them: Australia and the latest X-Files movie.

Oh god I watched the newest X-Files movie last year sometime I think, until now I had completely forgotten how much I hated that movie.

sbessiso
07-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Potter was pretty good, but man they really fucked up the ending

amyzzz
07-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Oh god I watched the newest X-Files movie last year sometime I think, until now I had completely forgotten how much I hated that movie.
Did you finish it? I take it the movie never got better?

stuporfly
07-22-2009, 07:59 AM

I rather enjoyed the X-Files initially, but gave up somewhere in the middle of the second season. I found their pat interplay infuriating ("I do believe in spooks/demons/bogeymen!" "I don't believe in spooks/demons/bogeymen!"), and as with most entertainment where humans dress as scary monsters, had a difficult time suspending my disbelief when what I clearly saw was some schmuck actor trying to get noticed under 50 pounds of makeup.

So I haven't seen either movie. Should I not?

higgybaby23
07-22-2009, 08:16 AM
I watched Coraline last night, and thouroughly enjoyed it. We tried to watch in 3-D, but it just wasn't working right. In fact, I've never had a true 3-D experience on my home television. Both Disneyland and Disneyworld have amazing 3-D attractions, but nothing on television has even come close. Even the glasses are different. The Disney ones are just gray, while every pair I've received to view at home are red and blue.

Has anyone had a proper 3-D film experience using a television at home?

MissingPerson
07-22-2009, 08:52 AM
I rather enjoyed the X-Files initially, but gave up somewhere in the middle of the second season. I found their pat interplay infuriating ("I do believe in spooks/demons/bogeymen!" "I don't believe in spooks/demons/bogeymen!"), and as with most entertainment where humans dress as scary monsters, had a difficult time suspending my disbelief when what I clearly saw was some schmuck actor trying to get noticed under 50 pounds of makeup.

The first one has a few massive plot holes, but they only really matter if you stop to think about it. As a kind of conspiracy adventure, it's great. A slightly dumber, faster, explodier version of the series.

Show hit it's peak in Season Three. Pusher was great.

atom heart
07-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Has anyone had a proper 3-D film experience using a television at home?

Not at home, but SIGGRAPH had a demonstration of polarized (gray glasses) 3D television, and it was pretty impressive. They were demonstrating some sort of 3D webcam, and I have seen polarized 3D on broadcast television ages and ages ago (like, when I was seven), so I'm not sure why they would use red-blue at all.

TallGuyCM
07-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Did you finish it? I take it the movie never got better?

Yeah I finished it, I don't think I've ever not finished a movie, I always give it the chance to get better once I start it. And it didn't.

amyzzz
07-22-2009, 10:56 AM
The first one has a few massive plot holes, but they only really matter if you stop to think about it. As a kind of conspiracy adventure, it's great. A slightly dumber, faster, explodier version of the series.

Show hit it's peak in Season Three. Pusher was great.
My favorite episodes are the one with the crazy deformed inbred family and the one with the fungi that trapped people underground while making them hallucinate reality. I wish I knew the titles, but I watched those 12-15 years ago. AWESOMENESS.

wmgaretjax
07-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Not at home, but SIGGRAPH had a demonstration of polarized (gray glasses) 3D television, and it was pretty impressive. They were demonstrating some sort of 3D webcam, and I have seen polarized 3D on broadcast television ages and ages ago (like, when I was seven), so I'm not sure why they would use red-blue at all.

Because it's substantially more expensive to shoot and display polarized 3D. Every aspect of the process is more costly from the cameras to the processing time to the glasses.

humanoid
07-22-2009, 11:18 AM

I could never get into because of the dialogue between the two main characters specifically. It always sounded like it was written by and for 3rd graders.

iv3rdawG
07-22-2009, 12:24 PM
xnGruD-Q-aw

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-22-2009, 12:52 PM
That Alice movie looks really fucking awful

wmgaretjax
07-22-2009, 12:59 PM
garbage. why bother... the best version of Alice has been done anyway... Svankmejer.

amyzzz
07-22-2009, 01:00 PM
3D, interesting. I'll take my kids and hope for the best.

Young blood
07-22-2009, 01:02 PM
http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/Johnny%20Depp%20Mad%20Hatter.jpg

=

http://www.gossipcheck.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/madonna_022.jpg

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-22-2009, 01:04 PM
garbage. why bother... the best version of Alice has been done anyway... Svankmejer.

i've been toying with the idea of renting this...is it really good? i've seen a ton of Svankmejer's shorts and they make my head explode (mostly in a good way)

amyzzz
07-22-2009, 01:05 PM
I hadn't heard of that -- I haven't found a live action Alice in Wonderland that I like yet.

edit: title is Neco z Alenky according to imdb when I looked up that name.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-22-2009, 01:27 PM
I hadn't heard of that -- I haven't found a live action Alice in Wonderland that I like yet.

edit: title is Neco z Alenky according to imdb when I looked up that name.

info and trailer
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Alice/60000309?lnkce=seRtLn&trkid=222336&strkid=1023294718_0_0&strackid=7b9e1bc0968a306e_0_srl

luckyface
07-22-2009, 01:30 PM
xnGruD-Q-aw

I was still excited to see Alice before this trailer, despite Burton's shit work of late. But after seeing that, ugh no thanks.

http://filmdrunk.lg1x8.simplecdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dismissivewank.gif

wmgaretjax
07-22-2009, 01:42 PM
i've been toying with the idea of renting this...is it really good? i've seen a ton of Svankmejer's shorts and they make my head explode (mostly in a good way)

if you like svankmajer, it's hard to imagine this will disappoint. it's pretty perverse. if you haven't seen it yet, Conspirator's of Pleasure is easily one of the greatest films of all time.