PDA

View Full Version : Schoolio's Movie Corner

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

SoulDischarge
08-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm sick of everything Apatow and Seth Rogen.

Seconded. I had a professor at film school use the opening scene from 'The 40 Year Old Virgin' as an example of how to set up a character. Sorry, but boner jokes don't add up to well rounded characters. Sidenote: said professor was a dead ringer for Chris Martin.

wmgaretjax
08-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Seconded. I had a professor at film school use the opening scene from 'The 40 Year Old Virgin' as an example of how to set up a character. Sorry, but boner jokes don't add up to well rounded characters. Sidenote: said professor was a dead ringer for Chris Martin.

fuck american film schools. they are all worthless.

tessalasset
08-10-2008, 10:37 PM
James Franco is ruling my mind right now.
youve watched freaks and geeks, correct?

Tat-the-Cat
08-10-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm sick of everything Apatow and Seth Rogen.

Agreed!!!!!!!!

apostle2
08-10-2008, 11:08 PM
youve watched freaks and geeks, correct?

oh my GOD I started a rewatch of Freaks and Geeks as soon as I got back from Pineapple. I am very, very into television and F+G is one of my favorite series all time. the problem is that with only one 18 ep season, I'm almost half done again

tessalasset
08-10-2008, 11:18 PM
special features, dude!

apostle2
08-10-2008, 11:25 PM
haha true. the plan right now is freaks and geeks rewatch > heroes rewatch > new heroes > LOST

bmack86
08-10-2008, 11:43 PM
How many seasons are there of Heroes? I saw the first episode recently, and I'd like to get caught up before the new season starts.

tessalasset
08-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Season Three will start this fall. You should be fine.

ivankay
08-11-2008, 03:45 AM
fuck american film schools. they are all worthless.

i am a believer that all of your experiences are of value. What an individual does with their time in film school (or any school) and it's measure of value is dependant on the effort they want to put in the process (and the luck of life when they get out). Sure, you can learn a lot of the things they offer in an American film school by going out and being a passionate student and maker of films, but to chuck it up as "worthless" is a flippant comment.

SoulDischarge
08-11-2008, 04:01 AM
i am a believer that all of your experiences are of value. What an individual does with their time in film school (or any school) and it's measure of value is dependant on the effort they want to put in the process (and the luck of life when they get out). Sure, you can learn a lot of the things they offer in an American film school by going out and being a passionate student and maker of films, but to chuck it up as "worthless" is a flippant comment.

If you were to compare value to price, in this instance, you'd come up with 'worthless' too.

ivankay
08-11-2008, 04:50 AM
If you were to compare value to price, in this instance, you'd come up with 'worthless' too.

No, i wouldn't.

wmgaretjax
08-11-2008, 10:06 AM

Oh it's undoubtedly flippant... And hyperbolic too. You're right in the end.

SoulDischarge
08-11-2008, 02:16 PM
I've paid enough for an approaching worthless education to be as flippant as I goddamned please about it, is all I'm saying. Stop making sense.

Down Rodeo
08-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Watched La Dolce Vita for the second time the other night, and it was downright amazing. I picked up on so many things I missed on first viewing, especially the narrative style, which I realized is rather brilliant in portraying the protagonist's attraction (and simultaneous repulsion) to, and eventual acceptance of the decadent society in which he is mired.

I really want to watch 8 1/2 again to see if its brilliance will resonate more clearly this time around as well.

Stainofmind
08-11-2008, 10:09 PM
I watched Pineapple Express last night.

I really liked Gary Cole in the bad guy role. I said "Damn, He was Mike Brady and Ricky Bobbys Dad". It was also odd seeing Rosie Perez in a supporting role too.

bmack86
08-11-2008, 10:59 PM
I saw it opening night, and I really enjoyed it. Pineapple Express is a keeper.

Somewhat Damaged
08-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Hey, bmack, do you post on Dave Poland's Hot Blog? Just curious.

Neutral Milk Hotel
08-12-2008, 03:54 PM
I saw Pineapple Express last night. The more I think about it, the more I really liked this movie. David Gordon Green seemed like kind of a weird person to direct this, but in the end he turned out to be the perfect man for the job; he brings a kind of warmth to the movie that nicely offsets the weirdness of the plot and the surprisingly brutal violence. I also really liked the gritty lo-fi feel of the action scenes, it was a refreshing change of pace after so many slick action scenes over the year. I loved the fact that most of the characters seemed to have no idea how to fight, it made the fight scenes much funnier and more believable. And the ending (which was completely improvised, believe it or not), is perfect, a funny but poignant conclusion to an inspired motion picture.

PS: +10 points for actually making a Godspeed You! Black Emperor joke. That's just awesome.

KungFuJoe
08-12-2008, 04:33 PM
I liked Pinapple Express. It was fun, but had a few dead spots.

Mr. Dylanja
08-12-2008, 04:40 PM
The Wackness, anyone? Anyone? Thoughts?

bmack86
08-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Hey, bmack, do you post on Dave Poland's Hot Blog? Just curious.

Nay

ghettojournalist
08-12-2008, 05:02 PM
I really liked Gary Cole in the bad guy role. I said "Damn, He was Mike Brady and Ricky Bobbys Dad". It was also odd seeing Rosie Perez in a supporting role too.

forget that, it's all about those TPS reports!

PS: +10 points for actually making a Godspeed You! Black Emperor joke. That's just awesome.

very nice reference. they always have some cool musical reference.

Stainofmind
08-12-2008, 09:02 PM
forget that, it's all about those TPS reports!

yeah I didnt like Office Space too much. I just watched it last week to see what was the cult following about.

Stainofmind
08-12-2008, 09:03 PM

and The Shins.

tessalasset
08-12-2008, 10:34 PM
yeah I didnt like Office Space too much. I just watched it last week to see what was the cult following about.

it is one of my all time favorite movies, but i really just like the first half. the second half sucks.

and i was the only one in the theater who laughed out loud when they said GY!BE. i felt out of place.

rage patton
08-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Office Space is hilarious.

stinkbutt
08-13-2008, 08:34 PM
TR2N

Who else is with me?

Remember this?
http://www.gamechangers.com/index.html/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/tronimage1.jpg
Awesome

Mr. Dylanja
08-13-2008, 08:50 PM
That looks like Speed Racer on crack!

woogie846
08-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Has anyone seen Tropic Thunder yet?

ivankay
08-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Has anyone seen Tropic Thunder yet?

i saw a sneak at Comic-Con. Funniest movie of the year and a classic comedy (yes, i saw Pineapple Express...funny, but not on TT's level). Before this weekend is over, i will see it again so i can enjoy laughing with a nice sized crowd. The cast rules. i think Ben Stiller has pushed his way back to into the comic genius arena (where he was with the Ben Stiller Show). Robert Downey Jr should earn many accolades and nominations for his role which is fresh and hilarious. Many things to love about Tropic Thunder.

PS: Not for sensitive types who can't handle over the top, out there humor for adults.

whynotsmile99
08-13-2008, 09:54 PM
i really wanted to see Vicky Christina Barcelona after Tropic Thunder this weekend

stinkbutt
08-13-2008, 10:59 PM
That looks like Speed Racer on crack!

TR2N or the original?

SoulDischarge
08-14-2008, 12:08 AM
I saw a double feature of 'Pineapple Express' and 'Step Brothers' at the drive in last night with some friends. I'm pretty goddamned sick of wacky comedic bromance. Keep it in yr pants guys, and this is coming from a state-certified practicing homosexual. That being said, 'Pineapple Express' had a few charming, amusing moments, but I can't get behind it as any kind of modern comedy classic. 'Step Brothers' was just intolerable.

I also saw 'The Dark Knight' today, which was, of course, resoundingly awesome, save Bale's Batman voice. I really don't go see movies any more, due to a combination of annoyance with what's out and a lack of funds, so I was struck by just how obnoxious the movie going experience has become. I got reminded three times in two minutes to shut off my cell phone by the good folks at AT&T, and that was after enduring 15 minutes of the loudest commercials I've ever experienced in my life. Then there was ten minutes of previews that just made me want to cry ('The Day The Earth Stood Still' remake with Keanu Reeves being a prime culprit). I felt beat down, exhausted and apathetic before the movie even began. I hate everything.

Backwater
08-14-2008, 12:55 AM
That's why you always arrive no less than 15-20 minutes after the start time. Sorry, nobody let you in on the memo because I've sat through that shit more times than I'd like to remember so I feel your pain.

allyjoy
08-14-2008, 06:50 AM
I disagree. I love previews! Sometimes they blow, but usually it's a fun teaser for a shitty movie I won't see in the end. Given: Keanu Reeves' DTESS is not anything I think anyone wants to see. BUT the Watchmen's preview looks awesome.

wmgaretjax
08-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Vicky Cristina Barcelona was terrible. An awful, vapid movie that relied on the lamest stereotypes possible.

whynotsmile99
08-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Vicky Cristina Barcelona was terrible. An awful, vapid movie that relied on the lamest stereotypes possible.

well that's dissapointing to hear. It is getting positive reviews too.
Even Woody Allen's weaker movies I still find entertaining usually. I really like Scarlet Johansen and Bardem. NOt a huge fan of Penelope Cruz, but I think thats to blame on her roles in American films. She was absolutly fantastic in ALmadovar's last film. I'm really curious to see how Woody captures Barcelona, always a favorite city of mine.

wmgaretjax
08-14-2008, 09:33 AM
well that's dissapointing to hear. It is getting positive reviews too.
Even Woody Allen's weaker movies I still find entertaining usually. I really like Scarlet Johansen and Bardem. NOt a huge fan of Penelope Cruz, but I think thats to blame on her roles in American films. She was absolutly fantastic in ALmadovar's last film. I'm really curious to see how Woody captures Barcelona, always a favorite city of mine.

This is another terrible role for Cruz in an American film. I love Woody Allen, and this had potential, but it suffers from some really poorly written characters.

I absolutely hated Volver. A glorified Spanish soap opera... Almodovar is really hit and miss for me.

Down Rodeo
08-14-2008, 11:41 AM
I absolutely hated Volver. A glorified Spanish soap opera... Almodovar is really hit and miss for me.

Ah, that's disappointing to hear. I LOVED Volver and thought Penelope Cruz was fucking gorgeous in it. Bad Education was a little weird, though.

humanoid
08-14-2008, 11:53 AM
I saw a double feature of 'Pineapple Express' and 'Step Brothers' at the drive in last night with some friends. I'm pretty goddamned sick of wacky comedic bromance. Keep it in yr pants guys, and this is coming from a state-certified practicing homosexual. That being said, 'Pineapple Express' had a few charming, amusing moments, but I can't get behind it as any kind of modern comedy classic. 'Step Brothers' was just intolerable.

I also saw 'The Dark Knight' today, which was, of course, resoundingly awesome, save Bale's Batman voice. I really don't go see movies any more, due to a combination of annoyance with what's out and a lack of funds, so I was struck by just how obnoxious the movie going experience has become. I got reminded three times in two minutes to shut off my cell phone by the good folks at AT&T, and that was after enduring 15 minutes of the loudest commercials I've ever experienced in my life. Then there was ten minutes of previews that just made me want to cry ('The Day The Earth Stood Still' remake with Keanu Reeves being a prime culprit). I felt beat down, exhausted and apathetic before the movie even began. I hate everything.

I'm not gay, I'm just practicing just in case! Is there a course you have to take to become state certified?

wmgaretjax
08-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Ah, that's disappointing to hear. I LOVED Volver and thought Penelope Cruz was fucking gorgeous in it. Bad Education was a little weird, though.

See... I loved Bad Education... As well as Talk to Her. His other films range from obnoxious and boring to charming and delightful. He indulges in the melodrama a little much for my taste. I can certainly appreciate him though.

Neutral Milk Hotel
08-14-2008, 12:20 PM
I quite liked Tropic Thunder. It wasn't perfect, but in a world where more and more comedians are resting on their laurels (Semi-Pro? wtf), it was kind of thrilling to see a mainstream comedy with a genuinely anarchic, even if not everything worked. And you all already know that Robert Downey Jr. owns this movie.

sbessiso
08-14-2008, 01:31 PM
you see, I have to disagree with you there Patrick (souldischarge). While I'm avoiding step-brothers like the fucking plague, I just loved the bromosexuality of "pineapple express". This coming from another state-certified gay. So many times these jokes come out of stereotypes and mild homophobia (cough*adamsandler*cough) but this was genuine and heartfelt and was one epic kiss away from being a romantic comedy. thats just me, I heart gayfriendly straights

edit: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince pushed allllll the way to July '09! FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK. this blowssss.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=48001

downingthief
08-14-2008, 02:30 PM
I was just going to post that about HP. Hopefully, it will be worth the wait.

miscorrections
08-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Probably not.

amyzzz
08-14-2008, 02:41 PM
I hate Daniel Radcliffe. Can he die so they can cast a different person? I mean seriously.

miscorrections
08-14-2008, 02:44 PM
And Emma Watson acts with her eyebrows and nothing else. They perform some astonishing gymnastics all over her forehead.

amyzzz
08-14-2008, 02:51 PM
I like Emma Watson and that Rupert Grint guy (what a name). Daniel Radcliffe can DIAF.

tessalasset
08-14-2008, 03:41 PM
i just came on here to post that, too. sooooooo sad. that trailer made me so fucking excited for november. november/december is the best time for HP movies anyways. they always have a late fall/early winter-y feel to them.

amyzzz
08-14-2008, 03:49 PM
I wish you'd come on here more, tessa. We miss you.

tessalasset
08-14-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm not that interested in the board anymore, honestly. I feel like that chapter in my life is over. I just can't stay on here as much as I used to. I get bored fast.

woogie846
08-14-2008, 09:29 PM
I just watched American Teen.

KungFuJoe
08-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Tropic Thunder was freakin' hilarious! loved it. Funniest film I've seen this year for sure. Many moments had me in tears. Robert Downey Jr. & Jack Black were fantastic. Actually, the whole cast was great, but they stood out the most. Another good satirical film by Stiller.

I also watched a japanese horror film this week called EXTE (aka: Hair Extensions). The concept is ridiculous, but the film is very well made. It stars Chiaki Kuriyama (Gogo Yubari of Kill Bill fame) as an aspiring hair stylist in training. She fights to keep her alcoholic floozy of a sister away from her apartment after she dumps her 8 year old daughter on her. All during this time a night watchman at the local morgue looks for the corpse with the most luscious locks so he can cut them off & sell them as hair extensions. He discovers one corpse that continues to grow hair as it rages to revenge it's death. He takes the corpse home & uses it's ever growing hair to sell as extensions, which eventually begin to kill the people they are given to. Think The Peanutbutter Solution meets The Grudge. The film is gruesome, but serves more as a parody than a horror film. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would reccomend it to anyone that is into JHorror.

Neutral Milk Hotel
08-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Tropic Thunder was freakin' hilarious! loved it. Funniest film I've seen this year for sure. Many moments had me in tears. Robert Downey Jr. & Jack Black were fantastic. Actually, the whole cast was great, but they stood out the most. Another good satirical film by Stiller.

Stiller really needs to start focusing on directing and writing more. I mean, just yesterday I found out they're already making plans for Madagascar 3. ):

stinkbutt
08-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Say hi to the new Freddy Krueger

http://www.swampland.com/img/Image/articles/Billy%20Bob/billy_bob_thornton.jpg

Neutral Milk Hotel
08-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Maybe. In either case, not bad casting. It should be interesting.

corbo
08-15-2008, 11:00 PM
just came back from VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA.
i LOVED it!
woody allens new formula of
scarlett johannson+beautiful european scenery+twisted love affairs
does it for me.

paulb
08-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Just saw Step Brothers.... had some laughs, but pretty meh... Nothing to watch again. Will prob check out Tropic Thunder or Pineapple Express tomorrow.

wmgaretjax
08-16-2008, 12:10 AM
just came back from VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA.
i LOVED it!
woody allens new formula of
scarlett johannson+beautiful european scenery+twisted love affairs
does it for me.

I find this hysterical... The love affair wasn't twisted, it was ripe with Spanish cliche and unfortunately predictable and shallow... And I've never seen a filmmaker make Barcelona look so boring. It was all awash with yellow... It actually looked bland, which is unbelievable given how gorgeous the city/countryside is in actuality. And SJ seemed to be playing an awful parody of herself, which might be interesting if it didn't feel so hamhanded... ugh.

corbo
08-16-2008, 07:52 AM
I find this hysterical... The love affair wasn't twisted, it was ripe with Spanish cliche and unfortunately predictable and shallow... And I've never seen a filmmaker make Barcelona look so boring. It was all awash with yellow... It actually looked bland, which is unbelievable given how gorgeous the city/countryside is in actuality. And SJ seemed to be playing an awful parody of herself, which might be interesting if it didn't feel so hamhanded... ugh.

lets see.... the suicidal ex wife of the painter who tried to kill him comes in and lives with them. they all have sex with each other. they cant function unless the three of them are involved in the relationship.penelope later comes in shooting at vicki (who is recently maried to another man] and her ex husband while they were kissing.

i dunno but from where i come from thats some twisted shit.

"never seen a filmmaker make Barcelona look so boring." are you kidding me?

youre being over critical.

wmgaretjax
08-16-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm not being overLY critical, it was a terribly written film. There has been a resurgence in playing off typical soap tropes as interesting plots... It's not interesting.

corbo
08-16-2008, 08:01 AM
i intentionally misspelled that because i knew you would feel the need to correct it.

wmgaretjax
08-16-2008, 08:10 AM
i intentionally misspelled that because i knew you would feel the need to correct it.

it's a compulsion of mine. thanks for indulging it. I did show some restraint though...

whynotsmile99
08-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Tropic Thunder was hilarious. I loved it. Favorite comedy I"ve seen in a long time.

Constantly was laughing out loud. Great cast, great cameos (a very big star kills every scene he's in) and it looks just awesome. They had a great DP (shot Braveheart as well) Stiller did a great job with all the balls he was juggling onn the movie.

The crowd ate it up. Everyone seemed way, way into it.

Frigging loved it

Down Rodeo
08-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Since I missed the party a year ago, I'm going to post my top 25 just for the hell of it.

1. Raging Bull
2. The Godfather I/II
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. Citizen Kane
5. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
6. Apocalypse Now
7. The Third Man
8. Andrei Rublev
9. Sansho the Bailiff
10. City of God
11. Taxi Driver
12. The Deer Hunter
13. Chinatown
14. Casablanca
15. The Seventh Seal
16. Goodfellas
17. Do the Right Thing/Malcolm X
18. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly
19. Dr. Strangelove
20. Alien
21. Werckmeister Harmonies
22. Mulholland Dr.
23. La dolce vita
24. Ikiru
25. Blazing Saddles

I kind of cheated here by including both Godfathers, and I can never decide between Do the Right Thing and Malcolm X because they're equally amazing.,

bluemamba
08-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Johnny Depp...... the new Riddler for the next Nolan Batman movie.

corbo
08-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Since I missed the party a year ago, I'm going to post my top 25 just for the hell of it.

I kind of cheated here by including both Godfathers, and I can never decide between Do the Right Thing and Malcolm X because they're equally amazing.,

same here. i;ll post mine just for the hell of it.

1. star wars : the empire strikes back
2. blue velvet
3. 2001: space odyssey
4. taxi driver
5. spirited away
6. annie hall
7. full metal jacket
8. godfather i
9. godfather ii
10.scarface
11.last tango in paris
12.requiem for a dream
13.pulp fiction
14.manhattan
15.star wars: a new hope
16.the silence of the lambs
17.sex lies and videotape
19.blade runner
20.the graduate

i'll throw in some foreign films too:

21. jules & jim
22. the silence
23. i vitelloni
24. la'aventura
25. dolce vita

bluemamba
08-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Hmmm so you like foreign films...

... look up Dot The I

its a good one.

wmgaretjax
08-16-2008, 02:51 PM
21. Werckmeister Harmonies

:)

and "Dot the I??" Are you serious? Well, at least the sex scenes were hot.

bluemamba
08-16-2008, 02:55 PM
i found the movie twisted and kept me guessing saying WTF. Plus the sex scenes made me wish my GF's mom wasnt in the room with us. Had a boner growing by the side of my leg.

corbo
08-16-2008, 04:26 PM
queued up on netflix. kept you guessing and saying WTF + hot sex scenes.....sounds like something i would like.

bluemamba
08-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Give it a shot. Worst come to worse you can always rub one out to the sex scenes.

whynotsmile99
08-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Best movie sex scenes:

Sex and Lucia
Y Tu MAma Tambien

also Wild Things, The Dreamers
and "Lies"

bluemamba
08-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Best movie sex scenes:

Sex and Lucia
Y Tu MAma Tambien
also Wild Things, The Dreamers
and "Lies"

Nice!

Also...

Basic Instinct

Nine 1/2 Weeks

Geno_g
08-16-2008, 05:31 PM
"Heineken? Fuck Heineken, Paps Blue Ribbon!"

wmgaretjax
08-16-2008, 05:33 PM
fuck that shit!

Down Rodeo
08-16-2008, 05:58 PM
There's one thing I can't fucking stand - it's warm beer. It makes me fucking puke!

Hannahrain
08-16-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm apprehensive about this. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014759/)

Backwater
08-16-2008, 08:36 PM
I heard Sarah Michelle Geller was originally going to be Alice but now it's Mia Wasikowska. It can't be worse than Charlie and the Chocatle Factory.

wmgaretjax
08-16-2008, 09:01 PM

Everything since Ed Wood has been suspect...

Hannahrain
08-16-2008, 09:22 PM
There's potential to do something amazing with it. But, I'm worried that it will be an awful lot of Tim Burton saying, "Look. Look how Tim Burton-y I am!".

whynotsmile99
08-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Whatever. it's Burton, I'll be there. His movies vary greatly, but Burton's name is enough to get me into the theater no doubt.

I'm more looking forward to Manson's Lewis Carroll film.

According to IMDB, Tilda Swinton is in it. HOpe that's true

paulb
08-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Saw Tropic Thunder tonight... twas good. Didnt really go anywhere, or have a good ending at all.... I did love Robert Downey though, and especially his Satan's Alley trailer with Tobey McGuire, that was prob my fav part of the "movie"

wmgaretjax
08-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Whatever. it's Burton, I'll be there. His movies vary greatly, but Burton's name is enough to get me into the theater no doubt.

I'm more looking forward to Manson's Lewis Carroll film.

According to IMDB, Tilda Swinton is in it. HOpe that's true

Swinton is gold.

wmgaretjax
08-16-2008, 09:34 PM
There's potential to do something amazing with it. But, I'm worried that it will be an awful lot of Tim Burton saying, "Look. Look how Tim Burton-y I am!".

That's been the problem for a long time now. Moments of brilliance, and a whole lot of self-indulgence.

I'll see it though.

whynotsmile99
08-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Saw Tropic Thunder tonight... twas good. Didnt really go anywhere, or have a good ending at all.... I did love Robert Downey though, and especially his Satan's Alley trailer with Tobey McGuire, that was prob my fav part of the "movie"

yea so funny. great part. You should avoid that cameo spoiler though.

wmgaretjax
08-16-2008, 09:37 PM
I saw Pineapple Express... It was very funny. I would recommend it.

paulb
08-16-2008, 09:48 PM
I saw Pineapple Express... It was very funny. I would recommend it.

better than Knocked Up, I hope

wmgaretjax
08-16-2008, 09:52 PM
better than Knocked Up, I hope

I did not like Knocked Up.

rage patton
08-16-2008, 11:59 PM
I saw Tropic Thunder tonight. It made me laugh. One of the few comedy's worth seeing on the big screen. Tom Cruise was hilarious.

IMDB doesn't have it listed... but Johnny Depp has signed on to play the Mad Hatter.

woogie846
08-17-2008, 12:30 AM
I watched Field of Dreams tonight at the park.

sbessiso
08-17-2008, 02:06 AM
saw WALK HARD for the first time last night. it was funny, not brilliant, but a worthy rental in my book. and holy crap jack white as elvis is the greatest minute and half of cinema! ever!

SoulDischarge
08-17-2008, 02:16 AM
Nice!

Also...

Basic Instinct

Nine 1/2 Weeks

Also . . .

Showgirls.

Also, I rewatched 'Being There.' That is one strange fucking movie. It always kind of creeps me out a little bit. And I watched 'Palindromes' for the first time and have no idea what to think about it. I'm not sure if there's something I'm not getting or if it's just a bad movie. Generally I like Solondz but he does have the tendency to wallow in his own exaggerated misanthropy.

whynotsmile99
08-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Also . . .

Showgirls.

Also, I rewatched 'Being There.' That is one strange fucking movie. It always kind of creeps me out a little bit. And I watched 'Palindromes' for the first time and have no idea what to think about it. I'm not sure if there's something I'm not getting or if it's just a bad movie. Generally I like Solondz but he does have the tendency to wallow in his own exaggerated misanthropy.

ah I love Palindromes!

More Jesus Tears!

wmgaretjax
08-17-2008, 10:55 AM
ah I love Palindromes!

More Jesus Tears!

My favorite Solondz film, I watched it again the other day.

ivankay
08-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Saw Vicky Christina Barcelona last night...meh. Story of that nature needs some heat and the temperature was luke warm. Characters are not interesting just because they say they are during the film.

A couple of days ago saw Clone Wars. i loved the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars and expected this most recent version to pick up where that left off. Not even close. One of the thrills of the earlier version was it sounded like a Star Wars movie; the current version is nothing special in that department and the score actually blows at times. Animation looks unfinished and the editing is way too quick. i felt as if i should pick up a controller and get ready to play at numerous scene breaks. Too bad. They should have dumped a ton of cash on Mr. Tartakovsky.

Saw Tropic Thunder again. Awesome.

boarderwoozel3
08-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Pineapple Express was really dumb but funny if you're super stoned.

Basically, if you have a sliver of taste in films don't see it. The only reason I did was to kill a night in Providence, RI before a flight.

bmack86
08-17-2008, 11:17 AM
I disagree with that. Go see it if you like funny movies with heart.

wmgaretjax
08-17-2008, 11:20 AM
I disagree with that. Go see it if you like funny movies with heart.

Not to mention it's the most beautiful popcorn comedy you'll ever see.

bmack86
08-17-2008, 11:22 AM
And the action!

roberto73
08-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Pineapple Express was really dumb but funny if you're super stoned.

Basically, if you have a sliver of taste in films don't see it. The only reason I did was to kill a night in Providence, RI before a flight.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, either. It's well-written and -acted, and directed by one of the best young directors in Hollywood, who manages to balance absurdity with pathos. Between this and Tropic Thunder, it's been a good month for comedy.

wmgaretjax
08-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I had no interest in Tropic Thunder but this thread is making me question that. I generally hate Ben Stiller, will this one be different?

ivankay
08-17-2008, 11:53 AM
I had no interest in Tropic Thunder but this thread is making me question that. I generally hate Ben Stiller, will this one be different?

i think it is. This is not the Ben Stiller "every man" that has been established since "Flirting with Disaster" (love that movie), but the comedic force introduced with "The Ben Stiller Show" (both MTV and Fox). Mr. Stiller is in full parody force and it's very funny.

whynotsmile99
08-17-2008, 11:59 AM

probably not. His character was easily the weakest in the movie for me. I didn't mind him, but with so many other great characters, his seemed the most underused for straight comedy. Still had some funny scenes though and fit the role well. I do give him major props for his co writing/producing/directing work on the film. It's a beautiful looking movie and simply made me laugh start to finish

All the reviews I've read say Black is the weak point in the film, which I disagree with. I loved Black in Tropic Thunder. He was a crazed wild man, perfectly channeled Chris Farley/John Belushi's drug fueled mayhem. He's nuttier than Tenacious D Black and he's hilarious

boarderwoozel3
08-17-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by this, either. It's well-written and -acted, and directed by one of the best young directors in Hollywood, who manages to balance absurdity with pathos. Between this and Tropic Thunder, it's been a good month for comedy.

It means I laughed but thought it was a dumb movie. I'm not much for this kind of flick anyway.

whynotsmile99
08-17-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm not much for this kind of flick anyway.

your avatar speaks differently

whynotsmile99
08-17-2008, 02:01 PM
i just learned that the new Ice Cube movie "The Longshots", yet another motivational teenage sports drama (easily my least favorite type of film) is directed by non other than Fred Durst!

Aint that some shit!

rage patton
08-17-2008, 02:08 PM
I saw a trailer for that last night in front of Tropic Thunder. That looks really terrible. As does that movie with Samuel L. Jackson where he is a crooked cop who tries to get his neighbours to move. Ugh.

whynotsmile99
08-17-2008, 02:11 PM
I saw a trailer for that last night in front of Tropic Thunder. That looks really terrible. As does that movie with Samuel L. Jackson where he is a crooked cop who tries to get his neighbours to move. Ugh.
i've seen that sam jackson trailer twice now and have laughed out loud both times. It does look hilariously bad.

"I'm the police! You have to do what I say!" is the next "I'm sick of these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane!"

Backwater
08-17-2008, 03:10 PM

I also hate Stiller but I loved Tropic Thunder. He needs to stick to producing/directing for now on.

rage patton
08-17-2008, 09:33 PM
IM TALKING SCORCHED EARTH MOTHERFUCKER!

paulb
08-17-2008, 11:01 PM
i just learned that the new Ice Cube movie "The Longshots", yet another motivational teenage sports drama (easily my least favorite type of film) is directed by non other than Fred Durst!

Aint that some shit!

See the movie and then judge it...

sbessiso
08-17-2008, 11:02 PM
i'm gunna skip seeing it and just jump straight into judging it

paulb
08-17-2008, 11:03 PM
dont be that guy.

sbessiso
08-17-2008, 11:05 PM
aww I never wanna dissapoint you paulb, but we are talking about that ice cube, girl playing football, movie right? c'mon now, cut me some slack.

paulb
08-17-2008, 11:10 PM
ya, its gonna be a lame movie...doesnt mean Fred Durst wrote the script and had a revolutionary thing in mind with the film...its a kids movie, and for FD to do that, instead of just music videos for nu metal bands that want some lame image, is a step up...

sbessiso
08-17-2008, 11:12 PM
oh, you've got me all wrong, the fred durst thing isnt even a factor in me not wanting to watch it. if anything, it makes me dangerously curious to see what he cooked up. i dont want to see it because its a fucking "teen sports motivational drama", believe it or not, one of my least favorite type of movies too!

paulb
08-17-2008, 11:14 PM
he doesnt even have his name come up until the credits, cause he doesnt want his name to tarnish the film...

sbessiso
08-17-2008, 11:18 PM
I have zero problem with FD directing ice cube in a motivational, girl plays football, teen drama.

zenidogx
08-17-2008, 11:22 PM
(Bad News Bears + Hardball - baseball + football) / talent = the Longshots

Down Rodeo
08-18-2008, 12:45 AM
I saw Last Year at Marienbad tonight at the PFA. Baffling, visually stunning film.

SoulDischarge
08-18-2008, 08:03 AM
In all fairness, that movie looks a lot less embarrassing than everything else Ice Cube has been in for the last couple of years.

I caught 'Marienbad' a couple of months ago when it was running at the Nuart and it's even more stunning and baffling on the big screen.

Down Rodeo
08-19-2008, 12:20 AM
I finally watched Cries and Whispers and...wow...I'm pretty much emotionally wrecked right now. Jared's right, though, it's a phenomenally good film - one of Bergman's finest.

atom heart
08-19-2008, 02:49 PM
I walked into that film at school at the wrong time. Wrong time. You can probably pick what that was.
Well, I figure "walking into" it was a bad idea anyway, but it was a far worse idea than I could have possibly imagined.

ivankay
08-19-2008, 08:18 PM
2001 is playing in the Dome at the Arclight on the 5th (https://www.arclightcinemas.com/ArcLight/faces/MovieDetails.jsp?movieName=ArcLight+Presents...200 1%3A+A+SPACE+ODYSSEY&movieType=ComingSoon&pageInfo=Home-Page). It's almost sold out. Wish i could be there, but i'll be travelin'.

whynotsmile99
08-19-2008, 08:59 PM
i caught the 70mm print at the Egyptian some months back. all from your tip ivankay

So good. Really the way it needs to be seen. Certainly have a new appreciation of the film after seeing it that way.

ivankay
08-19-2008, 09:15 PM
i love seeing that movie as big as possible. i was reading the description of the event and the first 100 people in line get special edition blu-rays. Damn European excursion. Guess i'll have to stop by the Cinemateche (sp) to make up for it.

Down Rodeo
08-20-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm so pissed, 2001 is showing here on Friday, but I'll be watching Radiohead instead. I really need to see that movie on a big screen someday.

Down Rodeo
08-20-2008, 12:29 AM
I walked into that film at school at the wrong time. Wrong time. You can probably pick what that was.
Well, I figure "walking into" it was a bad idea anyway, but it was a far worse idea than I could have possibly imagined.

Yeah, I know which scene you're talking about. That must have been horrifying.

PotVsKtl
08-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Resident Evil 3 is a surprisingly good B horror. That is, in comparison to the abominable bullshit that preceded it.

thestripe
08-20-2008, 09:20 PM
It Might Get Loud (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1229360/)

algunz
08-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Ok, well . . . I finally saw The Dark Knight today and I enjoyed it. I got to admit that I had some issues with some of the choices and logic. Maybe you all can help me gain some clarification.

Why the hell did Maggie's character leave Bruce's penthouse when she knew she was the next target?

Why was that cop standing inside the interrogation room with The Joker, let alone that he disregarded huge shards of broken glass?

How in the hell would Dent have been able to be so lucid when his face is half burnt off and exposed and he is on no pain medication?

Oh and I totally would have blown up the inmates on the ferry? What was there to lose?

Ted Berthalaname
08-20-2008, 11:17 PM
The Edge, Jimmy Page, and Jack White! Monstrous!

Ted Berthalaname
08-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Teddy!

amyzzz
08-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Ok, well . . . I finally saw The Dark Knight today and I enjoyed it. I got to admit that I had some issues with some of the choices and logic. Maybe you all can help me gain some clarification.

Why the hell did Maggie's character leave Bruce's penthouse when she knew she was the next target?

Why was that cop standing inside the interrogation room with The Joker, let alone that he disregarded huge shards of broken glass?

How in the hell would Dent have been able to be so lucid when his face is half burnt off and exposed and he is on no pain medication?

Oh and I totally would have blown up the inmates on the ferry? What was there to lose?
I just saw it Sunday myself. It was too fucking long, but Heath Ledger was great, truly terrifying and brilliant. I really don't like the overloud snuffling speeches Bale makes when he's dressed up as Batman. Do they not realize how dumb that effect sounds?

rage patton
08-21-2008, 11:33 AM
It Might Get Loud (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1229360/)

That looks awesome.

menikmati
08-21-2008, 12:28 PM

Two-Face was retarded in that movie.

rage patton
08-21-2008, 12:39 PM

The Joker might have been lying. The detonators could have been to their own boat, and they would have blown themselves up.

algunz
08-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Hmmm, I never thought of that Rage, but the fact that it wasn't mentioned leads me to believe that maybe they didn't either. Regardless, it's an excellent point.

And I agree Menik, Two-face was pretty lame. I couldn't understand his motivation. If he really loved Rachel, he would have honored her by continuing the good that he was doing - not terrorize the family of a friend of hers. He kept telling Gordon you need to deal with what I did and lie to the person you love by saying it's gonna be ok. But he wasn't doing the consoling she was. He was the dipshit who thought it was a good idea to push up against a fucking tub full of gas. Essentially, I got all agitated the moment the Joker was arrested. The stupidity of people's choices was torturous.

whynotsmile99
08-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Ok, finally saw CJ7. I love Stephen Chow and this is another really good one from him. It's a great kids/fantasy film, beautifully shot. The little girl (playing a boy in the film) does an incredible job carrying the entire movie. Some really funny scenes at the school. Loved the bullies. If you like Sholin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle and God of Cookery or have kids old enough to read subtitles who like a very clever ETesq comedy with some rather touching moments, check it out.

I also watched "Shrooms" which was an utterly awful horror film from Ireland. Bunch of stupid Americans trip on mushrooms in the forest and get attacked...or something. Same old schlock you've seen before. totally boring death scenes, never good for a horror movie. First 25 minutes were entertaining funny bad, then it just got boring. I did like the Irish hillbillies, refreshing to see after all American or Australian hillbillies in bad horror movies.

I'm watching Paprika now. It's amazing so far. Alice in Wonderland meets the Matrix all told in beautifully animated anime. I have no idea whats really going on but it's amazing to watch

Mr.Nipples
08-24-2008, 09:12 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480239/

FUCK!

whynotsmile99
08-24-2008, 09:30 PM

FUCK!

they should give it to Bret Ratner

Stainofmind
08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Cant Wait for FF4 to come out next summer. Part 1 was ok, Part 2 I really liked because Ludacris was in it and it was a whole different movie, and Part 3Tokyo Drift I didnt even bother watching.
<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=41317490">Fast & Furious in HD</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=41317490,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=41317490,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

stinkbutt
08-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Someone told me they heard Cher is in talks for being Catwoman god I hope they are wrong

bmack86
08-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Cant Wait for FF4 to come out next summer. Part 1 was ok, Part 2 I really liked because Ludacris was in it and it was a whole different movie, and Part 3Tokyo Drift I didnt even bother watching.
<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=41317490">Fast & Furious in HD</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=41317490,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=41317490,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

You mentioned the fast and the furious? damn.

amyzzz
08-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Has anyone seen Hamlet 2 yet? Has good reviews...

rage patton
08-25-2008, 11:57 PM

FUCK!

Angelina Jolie? Interesting. This is one of my girlfriends favorite novels, I will have to find out what she thinks about this.

Also, has anyone heard about the Bioshock movie? I heard it was in production but nothing more. I bring this up because Bioshock is kind of the antithesis to Atlas Shrugged.

Has anyone seen Hamlet 2 yet? Has good reviews...

I really want to see it. I have heard only good things about it. I cannot believe it didn't even crack the top 10 in the box office this weekend... yet Death Race got 3rd.

Am I geek because I read "FF4" as "Final Fantasy 4?"

ivankay
08-26-2008, 12:34 AM
spoilers below for the Dark Knight....what you haven't seen it?...really?

i saw this a 2nd time this week. This movie's pretty tight. Allow me to try and answer these questions.

Because the man she's considering marrying is in jail. She's more concerned about his well being than her safety.

The breaking of the glass and the cop standing in the room with a Joker that just got the shit kicked out of him happened in the span of a few (if not a couple of) minutes. Lot of chaos going on there. Someone had to keep an eye on the Joker and i suppose Mr. Arrogant Corrupt Cop was thinking he could take this beat up freak if anything was going to happen. Bad move.

Cause he' got the comic book crazies. So crazy he's thriving off that pain to fuel his anger and thirst for revenge. Joker also pumped him up with a real good speech that made him want to go out and start a campaign of fear in those he saw being a main factor in the crime and corruption, the crooked cops. He especially wanted Gordon because he blames him for turning a blind eye to the crooked cops that led to the kidnappings that led to greater tragedies.

Your humanity. You would have been a killer just to potentially save your hide ("potentially" because the Joker is quite capable of having the detonator blow up the boat you're on instead of the other one with da crooks). i think that was covered already. Just wanted to take a little crack at it.

sbessiso
08-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Am I geek because I read "FF4" as "Final Fantasy 4?"

omg I did the same thing! and i'm not even a fan of those games at all

Ch-Check it out, first official still from the new jim carrey movie, with ewan mcgregor

http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/images/albums/movies/iloveyou/stills/iloveyou-still01.jpg

jim carrey is a married dad who goes to jail and falls in love with ewan (who wouldnt?!). its billed as a dark comedy. i cant wait!

stinkbutt
08-26-2008, 09:38 AM

FUCK!

Eeeeeeew and I didn't think they could make Atlas Shrugged any worse than it already is god I hate that piece of shit

amyzzz
08-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Finally Ewan McGregor in something.

sbessiso
08-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Finally Ewan McGregor in something.

and they filmed some of it here in miami beach! one of the gayest spots in the world. ewan came into my starbucks but I was wayy too shy to say a damn thing

Xenocide
08-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Go watch Brideshead Revisited, John Adams, or Street Kings...

bmack86
08-31-2008, 10:26 PM
Two different statements, directed at two different groups

General filmgoers: Monsters, Inc. Why didn't you tell me it was so good? I thought it was a fantastic Pixar film, and a fantastic film in general. They really touched a human element with the two main characters, despite the fact that neither were human. The animation was a step up from the Toy Storys, as was the story and voice acting. I'm immediately in love with this movie, and I feel that it's a classic of animation. I'll watch this again, and it makes me want to have kids so I can show them this film. Fantastic.

Artsy film people (Jared, take note): I watched Tarkovsky's The Mirror two days ago. At first glance, I wasn't sure how I felt about it in comparison to the rest of his work. However, with a little bit of time for it to set, I'm fairly certain that this is my favorite of his films. I can definitely say that I think it's his most influential. Unlike Solyaris and Stalkers, it doesn't have a Sci-fi basis that would repel some viewers, and, unlike those films and Andrei Rublev, it isn't prohibitively long. Instead, it focuses on the memories of a man. At least, that's what I got out of it. It's an amazing, rich, fully developed piece of work from my favorite director. Throughout the movie, it isn't clear exactly why each shot functions differently, or what sort of internal logic is governing the direction of the film, but the last shot, unlike every other Tarkovsky film I've seen, ties this one together. With that shot, you're open to interpret the film in a multitude of ways, depending on how you want to see it and what you've seen before. It's truly a masterwork, and definitely amongst the top films I've seen. I love that it takes the best of Tarkovsky's mastery of setting and slow build and adds it to what should have been his realm all along, the psychological. In some ways, he's always been working in this sort of film (Rublev, Ivan's Childhood, Solyaris and Stalkers all have echoes of this pyschological foray) but he never did it so perfectly as in this one masterwork. My one hope is that Criterion will pick this film up so that some more complete subtitles can be provided; same with stalker.

Down Rodeo
09-01-2008, 02:30 AM
Bmack, thanks for the notes on Mirror. I'll definitely have to bump that one up my queue soon.

I watched Wild at Heart today, and it was fun as hell. I also re-watched Mulholland Dr. and I'm now convinced it's a work of genius.

Boourns
09-01-2008, 03:32 AM
So did anyone see Disaster Movie?

SoulDischarge
09-01-2008, 05:02 AM
I've still only seen "Mirror" once even though it warrants several more viewings just to make sense of everything going on, and it was the first Tarkovsky film I saw. It left a big impression on me and is the sole source of my admiration for the man considering that I didn't really connect with "Solaris" and still haven't gotten around to finishing "Andrei Rublev." More reasons to spend less time on here and more time watching all those movies I've spent the last 3 years burning. And I agree with yr thoughts on "Mirror." I always thought of it as a stream of conscious narrative of one man's life in the style of Faulkner.

wmgaretjax
09-01-2008, 09:11 AM
It is definitely not stream of consciousness. It is definitely the memories of one man though.

And that final scene is spine tingling... With Mozart's St. John's Requiem... I watched that film 7 times last year.

If it helps it make sense at all, the childhood house he revisits throughout the film was created as a replica of his own childhood house built on the same plot of land. It was then destroyed after the shooting of those scenes was done, and that final scene is shot on the "empty" landscape.

KungFuJoe
09-01-2008, 09:20 AM
I got a copy & watched John Woo's newest film RED CLIFF yesterday. All I can say is THANK GOD homeboy is back in China making movies. This is easily his best film since he left Hong Kong & could possibly go on to be his greatest achievement ever. Jury's still out on that as the world has yet to see the conclusion of this film. It is being released in China as two parts, much like Kill Bill was split into two volumes. They plan to release Red Cliff in the states as one whole film, so it probably will not hit our shores until sometime next year. I believe the second part is going to be released in China this coming January '09.

Anyways, while I wouldn't say it's John Woo's best film just yet, it certainly is his most beautiful and features one of the most amazing battle sequences commited to celluloid. After watching a film like this it makes me realise why Gabe hates movies like 300 so much. Red Cliff blows 300 out of the water. Not a hard feat to do by many standards, but still.

In short Red Cliff is about the war of the Three Kingdoms at the fall of the Han Dynasty in Ancient china. If you care for a more in depth explanation you can find some better reviews online. This is all I'll share of it for now. The only negative thing I can say about the film is that there are som hokey moments. Though it never entirely reaches the greatness of Kurosawa's Ran there are some moments that get to that level. Perhaps a strong second half conclusion will put it right up there with such a masterpiece. I have no doubt that at the least it will reach the greatness that this first part has. Easily the best film I've seen so far this year.

SoulDischarge
09-01-2008, 10:26 AM
It is definitely not stream of consciousness. It is definitely the memories of one man though.

And that final scene is spine tingling... With Mozart's St. John's Requiem... I watched that film 7 times last year.

If it helps it make sense at all, the childhood house he revisits throughout the film was created as a replica of his own childhood house built on the same plot of land. It was then destroyed after the shooting of those scenes was done, and that final scene is shot on the "empty" landscape.

Like I said I probably need to watch it again before I can really back up any statements, but why isn't it stream of consciousness? One man's life recalled in his mind with one memory bringing up another, jumping forwards and backwards in time like the way people think, not how they actually live. Like "The Sound & The Fury."

sbessiso
09-01-2008, 10:29 AM
totally unrelated to what you guys are talking about, but I caught like an hour of "Jurassic Park" last night and I was totally shocked at how well its held up since it was released. I gotta admit ,that T-Rex still scares me, but it also brought me back to when I was about 5 I think and saw it for the first time in theaters. That movie freaked me the fuck out, I was having crazy childhood memories flashing towards me last night.

just needed to post that....

iv3rdawG
09-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Jurassic Park is one of my favorite films and is probably tied for my favorite Spielberg with Schindler's List. It's one of a few films that I can watch over and over again, the only other two I can think of are Back to the Future I & II.

sbessiso
09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
oh man, dont even bring up back to the future, that deserves its own thread. I fucking love I & II with such a passion, I would love to drive around in my moms minivan of all cars screaming 88 MILES PER HOUR!! amazing movies

but yeah, I watched that chunk of Jurassic Park last night for the first time as a film critic, you know, and its just astounding. I caught it right in the juicy part, tons and tons of rain and newman from seinfeld just fucked up all the fences and the t-rex escapes. Speilberg knows how to build suspense, and those effects are still mind blowing, in my opinion.

goddammit I wanna watch Back to the future now!

wmgaretjax
09-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Like I said I probably need to watch it again before I can really back up any statements, but why isn't it stream of consciousness? One man's life recalled in his mind with one memory bringing up another, jumping forwards and backwards in time like the way people think, not how they actually live. Like "The Sound & The Fury."

A case could be made for portions of it. But the ending, for example, takes place after he dies... There are also parts that occur outside of him (like with the family at the hospital). It's a little more traditionally structured than simply what happens in his mind in my opinion. I see what you are getting at though.

wmgaretjax
09-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Jurassic Park is one of my favorite films and is probably tied for my favorite Spielberg with Schindler's List. It's one of a few films that I can watch over and over again, the only other two I can think of are Back to the Future I & II.

THIS RING! TWO MORE!

THIS CAR! TEN MORE!

I COULD HAVE DONE MORE!!!!!!!

bah.

wmgaretjax
09-01-2008, 11:33 AM
I got a copy & watched John Woo's newest film RED CLIFF yesterday. All I can say is THANK GOD homeboy is back in China making movies. This is easily his best film since he left Hong Kong & could possibly go on to be his greatest achievement ever. Jury's still out on that as the world has yet to see the conclusion of this film. It is being released in China as two parts, much like Kill Bill was split into two volumes. They plan to release Red Cliff in the states as one whole film, so it probably will not hit our shores until sometime next year. I believe the second part is going to be released in China this coming January '09.

Anyways, while I wouldn't say it's John Woo's best film just yet, it certainly is his most beautiful and features one of the most amazing battle sequences commited to celluloid. After watching a film like this it makes me realise why Gabe hates movies like 300 so much. Red Cliff blows 300 out of the water. Not a hard feat to do by many standards, but still.

In short Red Cliff is about the war of the Three Kingdoms at the fall of the Han Dynasty in Ancient china. If you care for a more in depth explanation you can find some better reviews online. This is all I'll share of it for now. The only negative thing I can say about the film is that there are som hokey moments. Though it never entirely reaches the greatness of Kurosawa's Ran there are some moments that get to that level. Perhaps a strong second half conclusion will put it right up there with such a masterpiece. I have no doubt that at the least it will reach the greatness that this first part has. Easily the best film I've seen so far this year.

Hell yes. I'm excited for this.

woogie846
09-01-2008, 11:41 AM
I watched A Clockwork Orange yesterday.

roberto73
09-01-2008, 12:45 PM
THIS RING! TWO MORE!

THIS CAR! TEN MORE!

I COULD HAVE DONE MORE!!!!!!!

bah.

I think this scene would have had even more resonance in Back to the Future.

wmgaretjax
09-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I think this scene would have had even more resonance in Back to the Future.

haha... Jurassic Park maybe?

C DUB YA
09-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Wow - just watched the red-band trailer for Kevin Smith's new one (Zack and Miri Make A Porno)

Looks so funny, and I'm not a huge Smith fan at all.

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/09/zack_and_miri_make_a_porno_tra.php

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/zack-miri-make-porno/red-band-trailer

sbessiso
09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
whoa, all i'm judging by is the commercials they're showing on the telly but "Eagle Eye" looks FUCKING.AMAZING.

thestripe
09-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Gabe, get the fuck in here and tell me what movies to watch!

wmgaretjax
09-09-2008, 11:12 PM
I finally saw Snow Angels... I liked it, but I wish Green would return to what made George Washington and Undertow so great... This film was just too overwrought. The acting was great, but I wanted less from it all. Every little piece of the story was handed to me on a silver platter. The camera work was a little too rigid and controlled, and the best parts were when it was unhinged ala van Sant. I thought the last scene was fantastic, but the snowfall one before it was atrocious.

Where's Gabe?

bluemamba
09-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Well kids its official about Johnny Depp as the new Riddler. I called it first and it came true.

Backwater
09-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Source? If it's not on imdb it isn't official yet.

bmack86
09-10-2008, 12:43 AM
I saw Gabe tonight. He was at Mogwai. So that's where he was.

KungFuJoe
09-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I started watching the Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor last night & had to stop.

I think it's going to be more difficult picking this years worst film than the best.

Right now my top 3 picks for worst of the year belong to: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Forbidden Kingdom.

Jet Li & Michelle Yeoh need to stop working for the American dollar.

stinkbutt
09-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Random Question

Whatever happened to Christopher Lloyd?

wmgaretjax
09-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Source?

Michael Caine

amyzzz
09-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I'd forgotten this is kind of the garbage can time of year for movies. This thread is slow this time of year.

Hannahrain
09-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Well kids its official about Johnny Depp as the new Riddler. I called it first and it came true.

Apparently he's also going to be playing Freddie Mercury in the near future. He can't fucking play everyone. Soon he'll be remaking every movie and playing every role himself.

thewindowliquor
09-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Apparently he's also going to be playing Freddie Mercury in the near future. He can't fucking play everyone. Soon he'll be remaking every movie and playing every role himself.

I would like to see Johnny Depp as John Malkovich in a remake of Being John Malkovich.

C DUB YA
09-11-2008, 04:59 AM
Michael Caine

Both Phillip Seymor Hoffman and Jonny Depp are denying their roles (Riddler, Penguin) mentioned by Mr. Caine.

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 05:05 AM
work has not even begun on the next Batman. There's no script, any casting rumours are just false

iv3rdawG
09-11-2008, 06:08 AM

Fusilli Jerry!

wmgaretjax
09-11-2008, 09:02 AM
work has not even begun on the next Batman. There's no script, any casting rumours are just false

Since when is it a requirement to have a script for a large budget, anticipated genre film/sequel to be cast?

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 09:05 AM
touche!

rage patton
09-11-2008, 09:20 AM
I saw Hamlet 2 last night. It was funny. Steeve Cogan really should be in more movies.

Down Rodeo
09-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Apparently Aronofsky's The Wrestler won Grand Prize at the Venice Film Festival the other day, which is a bit surprising to me. Sounds like it will be good, though.

Also, who else is excited for Burn After Reading to open? The Coens better not let me down.

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 12:53 PM
I get THAT much more excited everytime I see a commercial for Burn After Reading

humanoid
09-11-2008, 12:58 PM
I'd forgotten this is kind of the garbage can time of year for movies. This thread is slow this time of year.

except for we're right on the verge of many of the best films of the year coming out

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
You mean the Oscar wannabes in November? *sigh* I just hope there will be JUST ONE scary horror movie out for Halloween. It's been a while since I've seen something really scary that wasn't just a dumb slasher flick.

downingthief
09-11-2008, 02:09 PM
You mean the Oscar wannabes in November? *sigh* I just hope there will be JUST ONE scary horror movie out for Halloween. It's been a while since I've seen something really scary that wasn't just a dumb slasher flick.

Don't hold your breath, Amy. For every 1 decent scary movie, there is about 500 that suck.

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 02:13 PM
what was the last good scary movie? I wouldnt know, I dont really keep up with them

KungFuJoe
09-11-2008, 02:23 PM
I haven't seen a film that truly scared me since I was a little kid. The only one that came remotely close in recent days was The Descent. I thought it was suspenseful, had some good jump out of your seat moments & could've worked just as well, if not better, if the monsters hadn't shown up.

Other than that I recently watched The Tale of Two Sisters which is a Korean horror pic. It was a good film, but didn't live up to the expectations my friend had built up for me. not all that scary.

[REC] was another disappointment, but I'm sure people will find something to like about the American remake Quarantine.

The only horror film I've been on a mission to find a copy of that which I think can be genuinely scary is The Butcher

H5JfIxtTS3c

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 02:32 PM
The Descent was awesome. I need to buy that flick.

If I could just have a decent zombie/end-of-the-world movie, I'd be happy too. The thing is, I don't like the zombie movies for the gore--I like the end-of-the-world shtick.

And give me a good ghost story. The Orphanage was halfway decent, and I was surprised that I really liked The Grudge.

And goddamnit, what about the vampires? I liked Underworld I, but Underworld II can go eat a bowl of dicks. That Twilight movie looks totally gay. I'm waiting until I can d/l that new vampire tv series with Anna Paquin--that could be good. There's a void left in me after I got through all 7 seasons of Buffy.

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
el orfanato kicked ass! that creeped me out a bit

KungFuJoe
09-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I saw The Descent dvd for sale at Best Buy the other day for like $4.99.

The Tale of Two Sisters was a decent ghost story, but like I said before it didn't scare me all that much. I still need to see The Orphanage

Near Dark is a good vampire flick from the 80's. If you've never seen it, you should.

Also, if you've never seen Takashi Miike's Audition, you should. Probably the best horror film of the past decade or so.

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Can you give a brief synopsis of Near Dark?

KungFuJoe
09-11-2008, 03:13 PM
It's pretty simple. Man is kidnapped by gang of vampires after woman vampire bites him. He begins to turn into one of them, but resists becoming like them. He is forced by the gang to learn how to kill & be like them over the course of one week or else it's his head. It's kind of a cheesy love story at parts, but is a fun action flick by Katherin Bigelow.

lO36we29syA

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 03:51 PM
sounds kinda like The Lost Boys without the Coreys.

PotVsKtl
09-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Shut the fuck up Amy.

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Make me, bitch.

Down Rodeo
09-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Did anyone see Bug or The Host? I've got both on my queue, but I want to make sure they're actually good.

wmgaretjax
09-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Near Dark is a good vampire flick from the 80's. If you've never seen it, you should.

Also, if you've never seen Takashi Miike's Audition, you should. Probably the best horror film of the past decade or so.

I second both of these... Especially Audition.

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Bug will FUCK YOU UP! that movie is so psychologically intense, but I enjoyed it. it's a little traumatizing.

the host is extremely entertaining, it has some comedy, it has its scary monster moments, but not a scary movie

Backwater
09-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Bug was originally a play and should have stayed that way. Muder Party is an awesome low budget horror film from about a year ago. Check it out.

whynotsmile99
09-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Did anyone see Bug or The Host? I've got both on my queue, but I want to make sure they're actually good.

BUg is great. I put it on my list after my friend said it was the worst movie he's ever seen. It's rather a hate it or love it type movie. Creepy, beautifully shot and directed and Ashely Judd is amazing in it.

I finished Paprika last night which was some amazing anime. Unfortuantly, the very relaxed pace worked against it, but for some absolutly gorgeous anime fantasty sequences, Paprika is worth checking out.

Has anyone been reading the buzz on "The Wrestler", Aronofsky's new film? Apparently Mickey Rourke is a lock of an oscar nod. Variety and Roger Ebert among many other critics are raving about it. And Mararsa Tomei plays a stripper, apparently.

I'm getting "Friday" from netflix, which I'm embarassed to say i've never seen. I do love Next Friday though. Seen that one too many times.

SoulDischarge
09-11-2008, 07:53 PM

Bug is amazing.

bmack86
09-11-2008, 08:16 PM
A Fistful of Dollars is on right now, and it's awesome. I love that movie.

Down Rodeo
09-14-2008, 06:22 PM
I just saw Wings of Desire today. Wow. Incredibly original, philosophical, spiritual, and atmospheric film. I'll definitely have to watch this one again.

bballarl
09-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I saw Boogie Nights last night. It was really good.

wmgaretjax
09-14-2008, 06:53 PM
I saw "Burn After Reading." It was a lot of fun. Very simple, zany fun.

sbessiso
09-14-2008, 06:57 PM
I saw "Burn After Reading." It was a lot of fun. Very simple, zany fun.

How does it rate as a Coens Bros. flick?

wmgaretjax
09-14-2008, 07:00 PM
How does it rate as a Coens Bros. flick?

They are hit and miss for me (hated Raising Arizona and Barton Fink)... I thought it was a blast. More like Fargo than anything else in my mind, but way over the top. It's undoubtedly a spy caper, but there are no spies... It's totally a genre film, but unlike anything of it's kind. I think it's their best comedy since "The Big Lebowski."

tessalasset
09-15-2008, 12:03 PM
I saw it last night too and really liked it. I love random humor like that. John Malkovich saying "What the FUCK!?!" over and over had me cracking up. And Juno's dad at the end saying like "Come back when it makes sense." That whole end scene had the entire audience laughing. It was perfect.

bmack86
09-15-2008, 12:58 PM
I might try for that one tonight. I started 8 1/2 last night, but wasn't in the mood for anything too artistic, so I wound up watching Cast Away. Score.

Down Rodeo
09-15-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm gonna watch El Topo tonight, and I'm really psyched.

downingthief
09-15-2008, 03:06 PM
I saw The Descent dvd for sale at Best Buy the other day for like $4.99.

The Tale of Two Sisters was a decent ghost story, but like I said before it didn't scare me all that much. I still need to see The Orphanage

Near Dark is VERY under rated.

bmack86
09-15-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm gonna watch El Topo tonight, and I'm really psyched.

Good call. Be prepared to be unsettled

woogie846
09-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I watched Full Metal Jacket a couple of nights ago.

Down Rodeo
09-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Holy bonersmoke, El Topo was INSANE! I don't care what it was about, it was a fun trip. I have to see Holy Mountain now.

Hannahrain
09-16-2008, 12:27 AM
I watched Full Metal Jacket a couple of nights ago.

What a coincidence! I saw a movie once!

downingthief
09-16-2008, 08:28 AM
What a coincidence! I saw a movie once!

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

humanoid
09-16-2008, 01:25 PM
I might try for that one tonight. I started 8 1/2 last night, but wasn't in the mood for anything too artistic, so I wound up watching Cast Away. Score.

in my opinion 8 1/2 is definitely something you have to be in the right mood for, or you can't possibly enjoy it

humanoid
09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
BUg is great. I put it on my list after my friend said it was the worst movie he's ever seen. It's rather a hate it or love it type movie. Creepy, beautifully shot and directed and Ashely Judd is amazing in it.

I finished Paprika last night which was some amazing anime. Unfortuantly, the very relaxed pace worked against it, but for some absolutly gorgeous anime fantasty sequences, Paprika is worth checking out.

Has anyone been reading the buzz on "The Wrestler", Aronofsky's new film? Apparently Mickey Rourke is a lock of an oscar nod. Variety and Roger Ebert among many other critics are raving about it. And Mararsa Tomei plays a stripper, apparently.

I'm getting "Friday" from netflix, which I'm embarassed to say i've never seen. I do love Next Friday though. Seen that one too many times.

you said the magic words "Marisa Tomei"....followed by "plays a stripper"

Sold!
I was sold anyways, due to Aronofsky...I remember hearing rumors that Nicholas Cage was supposed to be the lead, but dropped out...thank god, I probably would have skipped it in that case

amyzzz
09-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Aronofsky!! I'm seeing it.

wmgaretjax
09-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Holy bonersmoke, El Topo was INSANE! I don't care what it was about, it was a fun trip. I have to see Holy Mountain now.

Sante Sangre is great as well.

KungFuJoe
09-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Saw Burn After Reading today. It was fun, but it took me a little while to warm up to it. It definately caught me off guard a couple of times. I wouldn't say it's one of their best films, but it's definately not their worst.

Question for those that saw it.

Are they playing a 3 Stooges short before each screening or was that just something they threw in at the Vista movie theater? It was bizarre yet fitting in a way.

rage patton
09-16-2008, 06:27 PM
I almost can't believe this...

http://www.billpress.com/filestore/josh-brolin-as-bush.jpg

is Josh Brolin. I am looking forward to this movie.

Backwater
09-16-2008, 06:52 PM
How about Thandie Newton playing Condoleezza Rice? An extremely attrative woman playing a very hideous woman. That must have taken a ton of makeup to ugly her up like that.

rage patton
09-16-2008, 06:55 PM
I have read some reports saying Paul Giamati is playing Karl Rove... but imdb says that somebody named "Toby Jones" is playing Rove. Anyone know any more about this?

Backwater
09-16-2008, 06:56 PM
I hope it's Giamati, he's such a good actor.

amyzzz
09-16-2008, 06:57 PM
How about Thandie Newton playing Condoleezza Rice? An extremely attrative woman playing a very hideous woman. That must have taken a ton of makeup to ugly her up like that.I think that is an apt casting. I think Condoleezza Rice is attractive.

Backwater
09-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Really? Well she's a phenomenal actress so she'll be able to pull it off. Condoleezza isn't very attractive on the inside though.

amyzzz
09-16-2008, 07:04 PM
I admire her like I admire Sarah Palin -- both powerful women who know how to get to a powerful position, but I completely disagree with their politics and tactics.

Backwater
09-16-2008, 08:53 PM
The Descent was awesome. I need to buy that flick.

If I could just have a decent zombie/end-of-the-world movie, I'd be happy too. The thing is, I don't like the zombie movies for the gore--I like the end-of-the-world shtick.

And give me a good ghost story. The Orphanage was halfway decent, and I was surprised that I really liked The Grudge.

And goddamnit, what about the vampires? I liked Underworld I, but Underworld II can go eat a bowl of dicks. That Twilight movie looks totally gay. I'm waiting until I can d/l that new vampire tv series with Anna Paquin--that could be good. There's a void left in me after I got through all 7 seasons of Buffy.

I'm hoping The Wolfman with Benicio Del Toro will be good but that's not until next year. There should always be at least one good Horror film in the theaters in October. Rob Zombie doesn't have anything this year. I'm with you on the lack of good recent vampire films. 30 Days of Night was really disappointing.

KungFuJoe
09-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Though not entirely a "vampire" flick Night Watch is pretty awesome. Too bad Day Watch was a let down. That's what seems to happen when greedy Americans want to take control over projects though. However, I still have to put the blame on the director for that one.

Let's hope Park Chan-Wook does not share the same fate & delivers what could be one of the best vampire flicks we ever see next year in Thirst http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/12/universal-and-focus-features-co-producing-park-chan-wooks-thirst/

I just watched Speed Racer for the second time. I enjoy the shit out of it. Makes me feel like a kid again. Rent it. Net flix it. Get it on blue ray & give it a chance :)

amyzzz
09-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Though not entirely a "vampire" flick Night Watch is pretty awesome. Too bad Day Watch was a let down. That's what seems to happen when greedy Americans want to take control over projects though. However, I still have to put the blame on the director for that one.

Let's hope Park Chan-Wook does not share the same fate & delivers what could be one of the best vampire flicks we ever see next year in Thirst http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/12/universal-and-focus-features-co-producing-park-chan-wooks-thirst/

I just watched Speed Racer for the second time. I enjoy the shit out of it. Makes me feel like a kid again. Rent it. Net flix it. Get it on blue ray & give it a chance :)
Night Watch was fun and really slick-looking, but it didn't all fit together well. I will watch for Thirst. Also, if Speed Racer is out on DVD, I want to check that out, just for fun. It looks like it'd be a decent tripping movie.

KungFuJoe
09-17-2008, 09:58 AM
I have yet to watch the American release for Night Watch, but from my understanding there was a key character cut out of it. Not to say it wasn't a confusing film to begin with, but with what gets lost in translation & cutting out a somewhat key storyline I'm sure it becomes more uneven. I'm going to have to watch it to see how it stands up compared to the orignal release.

There is a long list of the differnces between the orignal russian release & the international release on wiki -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_(2004_film)

The main one I'm referring to that probably takes a lot away from the film is this:

The character "Ignat" who was played by Gosha Kutsenko has been cut out completely. In the Russian cut Ignat is a Light Incubus capable of seducing any woman. Geser sends Simeon to fetch Ignat in order to seduce Svetlana so that she would "relax" and lose her vortex of damnation, or at least, say who cursed her. Ignat is reluctant, as he is with his girlfriend, and has to marry her the next day, but has to agree. As Svetlana runs out of coffee, she goes to a night supermarket, and they meet. He follows her home and stays with her. But when, in a moment of weakness, he mentions his forthcoming wedding, Svetlana freaks out, and Geser calls him off. Ignat spends the rest of the movie locked inside the Gorsvet truck.

As for Speed Racer. it was released on dvd yesterday. Definately rent it. Especially if you have a blue ray.

amyzzz
09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the blu ray tip. Also I'm pretty sure I saw the cut-up version of Night Watch.

roberto73
09-17-2008, 11:17 AM
I have read some reports saying Paul Giamati is playing Karl Rove... but imdb says that somebody named "Toby Jones" is playing Rove. Anyone know any more about this?

Toby Jones plays Rove. He's best-known for playing Truman Capote in the "other" In Cold Blood movie the one not starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Infamous, I think it's called.

Down Rodeo
09-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I saw Ugetsu last night, and it was phenomenal. Maybe not as good as Sansho the Bailiff, but very close. Mizoguchi definitely belongs in the same league as Ozu and Kurosawa.

whynotsmile99
09-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Stephen Chow is directing and playing Kato in The Green Hornet movie, starring and written by Seth Rogen.

Now my most anticipated comic book movie until the next batman

sbessiso
09-19-2008, 07:09 PM
HAHA I just read that too. Hard to not look forward to it

PotVsKtl
09-22-2008, 07:45 PM
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/09/synecdoche_new_york_trailer_yo.php

Backwater
09-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Sante Sangre is great as well.

YES!!!!! I'm glad someone else has heard of/seen that film. It's fucking insane. It really disturbed me and unsettled me in a way that only a really good film can. I'm finding it difficult to describe in words. The use of color and other visual aesthetics is just ... surreal. See the movie everyone, if you can find it, I highly recommend it.

Young blood
09-22-2008, 08:06 PM
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/09/synecdoche_new_york_trailer_yo.php

well., isnt that something.

bballarl
09-22-2008, 11:16 PM
I saw The Killing of a Chinese Bookie at ATP NY. I was frustrated because I did not really feel anything the entire film. I just accepted everything as true and moved on.