PDA

View Full Version : Schoolio's Movie Corner

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122

schoolofruckus
07-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Because I/we like a movie that you say you liked a little bit more than you did? Or because I/we feel less passionately about the source material and the movie's adherence to it?

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Because you somehow don't see how one is inferior to the other as a character.

wmgaretjax
07-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Because you somehow don't see how one is inferior to the other as a character.

somehow....

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Yes, somehow. Look, I recognize that this is kinda crazy and I'm beginning to suspect that Yabs was right on the money a few weeks back when he pegged me as having a massive personality disorder (although, it should be said that I fit into one of the better categorizations of all the forms of those disorders)... but I don't get it.

I know both of you. You're both intelligent, so I can't just dismiss it as you being some monkeys. You're both extreme cine-o-philes. And it honestly like fucking BOGGLES my mind that you don't see this thing the way I do. I'm talking about just comparing The Joker in that book to that movie. Forget about all the exposition in Killing Joke--Gabe, the reason there's so much exposition is that it's an origin story, that was the primary purpose of the book, think of it like an episode in a long-running series which is why it can't be a whole movie.

I flat out don't get how two people who I consider intelligent and who are so into film and storytelling don't see this the way I do. I know I can't really blame you for that--like Gabe says, it seems like I'm insisting everyone fanatically agree with whatever I think, but it's not. I just can't comprehend how something that seems really clear to me doesn't to you.

And yes, this is one of my absolute biggest mental dysfunctions. It drives me crazy sometimes. I go looo-ooo-ooony... like a lightbulb-battered bug.

If you hurt inside, get certified, and if life should treat you bad...

don't get eee-eee-even... get mad.

wmgaretjax
07-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Gabe, the reason there's so much exposition is that it's an origin story

I just don't want the Joker to have an origin story.... Well, not one so explicit. But I actually like that comic, but I would never want it taken to screen.

I don't know, I'm past the point of caring.

luckyface
07-24-2008, 12:18 PM
I thought was better that there was no Joker origin story in Dark Knight. It somehow makes him more interesting and creepy. When you provide an origin, you are humanizing him.

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I was never proposing the backstory have any part whatsoever in TDK. It's not the backstory I'm talking about. It's how the Joker is--his motivations, his methods, his demeanor--in the present day in Killing Joke that I feel got butchered. You know how much I hate exposition.

I don't see any motivation in Heath's Joker. Apparently he just wants to cause chaos and mayhem and whatever and didn't like what Batman's presence was doing to the city, but there was just nothing resembling a genuine psychopathic emotional rationale behind it.

In Killing Joke he's a man driven to complete homicidal insanity by tragedy who then feels deeply convinced that going insane is simply the only way to live in a world filled with tragedy and that it's his responsibility to bring everyone else to his enlightened state of perspective... THAT'S a character. That's a clear motivation, it's way fucking creepier than Heath and all his explosions, and it's a multi-dimensional, complete. You don't need the exposition. But that's what made the Joker the best of the Batman villains.

He didn't have a real ethos in TDK is my point. He robbed the mob, then was working for the mob, and was obsessed with killing Batman and causing general chaos in Gotham. A villain needs to have a philosophy they hold on to that gives them their strength, their determination. In TDK he just liked fucking shit up. It was Osama Bin Joker. *shrug*

Maybe that helps to explain, probably doesn't, none of my explanations ever seem to. Anyways, I'll drop it now, but that's my point I guess.

schoolofruckus
07-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Yes, somehow. Look, I recognize that this is kinda crazy and I'm beginning to suspect that Yabs was right on the money a few weeks back when he pegged me as having a massive personality disorder (although, it should be said that I fit into one of the better categorizations of all the forms of those disorders)... but I don't get it.

I know both of you. You're both intelligent, so I can't just dismiss it as you being some monkeys. You're both extreme cine-o-philes. And it honestly like fucking BOGGLES my mind that you don't see this thing the way I do. I'm talking about just comparing The Joker in that book to that movie. Forget about all the exposition in Killing Joke--Gabe, the reason there's so much exposition is that it's an origin story, that was the primary purpose of the book, think of it like an episode in a long-running series which is why it can't be a whole movie.

I flat out don't get how two people who I consider intelligent and who are so into film and storytelling don't see this the way I do. I know I can't really blame you for that--like Gabe says, it seems like I'm insisting everyone fanatically agree with whatever I think, but it's not. I just can't comprehend how something that seems really clear to me doesn't to you.

And yes, this is one of my absolute biggest mental dysfunctions. It drives me crazy sometimes. I go looo-ooo-ooony... like a lightbulb-battered bug.

If you hurt inside, get certified, and if life should treat you bad...

don't get eee-eee-even... get mad.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.....I have to admit, I should have seen that answer coming.

I know that the exposition in the comic was entirely necessary. I also know that the way the comic appears to me - with the Joker coming off as more of a practical prankster than a flat out force of evil - is probably due to my not reading a lot of comics, and seeing them in more broad terms than someone who reads a lot of them and understands the language (visually, I mean). That's why I'm saying - it works on the page. But I prefer the movie's re-invention of who the Joker is, both independently and in context with the movie itself.

I just don't want the Joker to have an origin story.... Well, not one so explicit. But I actually like that comic, but I would never want it taken to screen.

I don't know, I'm past the point of caring.

I, too, like the Dark Knight take on not explaining the Joker's reason for being, to the point that his "explanations" for his actions are complete bullshit. It makes more sense psychologically.

downingthief
07-24-2008, 12:37 PM
It comes down to interpretation of a character, and if you like that interpretation or not. It is possible to like the portrayal of the Joker in KJ, as well as DK, and for different reasons.

I personally do like both. I see what Gabe is saying in that the KJ approach works well in comic form, as does the DK in movie form. If they were switched, they simply would not work.

I also think comparing the two is very difficult (as proven by the amount of pages dedicated to this).

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't see any reason why you couldn't take Joker's KJ motivation and persona and put it in TDK and make it just as fucking creepy and disturbing. Honestly, why doesn't this fit?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/thelastgreatman/Pages2fromBatman-TheKillingJoke-2.jpg

schoolofruckus
07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I was never proposing the backstory have any part whatsoever in TDK. It's not the backstory I'm talking about. It's how the Joker is--his motivations, his methods, his demeanor--in the present day in Killing Joke that I feel got butchered. You know how much I hate exposition.

I don't see any motivation in Heath's Joker. Apparently he just wants to cause chaos and mayhem and whatever and didn't like what Batman's presence was doing to the city, but there was just nothing resembling a genuine psychopathic emotional rationale behind it.

In Killing Joke he's a man driven to complete homicidal insanity by tragedy who then feels deeply convinced that going insane is simply the only way to live in a world filled with tragedy and that it's his responsibility to bring everyone else to his enlightened state of perspective... THAT'S a character. That's a clear motivation, it's way fucking creepier than Heath and all his explosions, and it's a multi-dimensional, complete. You don't need the exposition. But that's what made the Joker the best of the Batman villains.

He didn't have a real ethos in TDK is my point. He robbed the mob, then was working for the mob, and was obsessed with killing Batman and causing general chaos in Gotham. A villain needs to have a philosophy they hold on to that gives them their strength, their determination. In TDK he just liked fucking shit up. It was Osama Bin Joker. *shrug*

Maybe that helps to explain, probably doesn't, none of my explanations ever seem to. Anyways, I'll drop it now, but that's my point I guess.

My interpretation of the Joker is actually kind of like what you were saying above in regards to yourself. You see things a certain way, and it drives you nuts that other people don't, to the point of a hostile reaction (though not always intentionally in your case). The movie Joker also sees the world a certain way (i.e., chaotic and full of selfish, ugly people who only need a slight nudge to descend into madness), and it drives him up the wall that others don't see the world that way. Which is why he aspires to plunge the world into the state he sees it. Frankly, I'm surprised that this angle never occurred to you.

As for Batman....I think I see what you're saying in regards to his decision to save Rachel. He's selfless enough to put saving Gotham over living a life of personal fulfillment, so why would he choose to (intend to) save a girl over saving the guy who represents Gotham's best chance for redemption? But see....while he does love Gotham and want to clean it up, part of what separates Batman from Superman is that he's NOT all that virtuous in spite of his intentions. He's an angry, volatile dude, and prone to somewhat reckless decisions. So when the Joker says "Harvey dies, or Rachel dies", he follows his gut impulse - to save the girl he's been in love with his whole life. Maybe if he were in a situation that allowed him to think clearly about it, he would choose Dent and save Gotham. But in a heated moment where a ticking clock is thrust in his face, I think it's perfectly acceptable - without betraying the character's nature - for him to react on impulse.

schoolofruckus
07-24-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't see any reason why you couldn't take Joker's KJ motivation and persona and put it in TDK and make it just as fucking creepy and disturbing. Honestly, why doesn't this fit?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/thelastgreatman/Pages2fromBatman-TheKillingJoke-2.jpg

I feel like the sentiment expressed there comes through in both of the Jokers on the table.

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 12:53 PM
I dunno, dude. The Rachel character was mad weak in Begins and even weaker here. If they wanted to set her up to mean that much to him, they didn't do a very good job of it.

Honestly, would any of us really save Maggie Gyllenhall over the future of Gotham? I mean, c'mon. I'd let the bitch die if it meant having to drive to the westside during rush hour.

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 12:54 PM
I feel like the sentiment expressed there comes through in both of the Jokers on the table.

Really? Okay, well I just didn't see that very much at all in TDK. The only time it ever gets discussed remotely close to that is in the interrogation room.

schoolofruckus
07-24-2008, 12:54 PM
I dunno, dude. The Rachel character was mad weak in Begins and even weaker here. If they wanted to set her up to mean that much to him, they didn't do a very good job of it.

Honestly, would any of us really save Maggie Gyllenhall over the future of Gotham? I mean, c'mon. I'd let the bitch die if it meant having to drive to the westside during rush hour.

No argument here. I hated Rachel Dawes in both movies. But Batman loved the shit out of her, for whatever reason; that much was established and then some.

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah but you have to make the audience care about what the hero cares about. Fact is, Batman was a supporting character in this flick.

downingthief
07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Really? Okay, well I just didn't see that very much at all in TDK. The only time it ever gets discussed remotely close to that is in the interrogation room.

I think you also see it when he walks in on the Mob meeting. As well as when he goes after the black mob boss.
There are others, too. Those are the most glaring, though.

chairmenmeow47
07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Fact is, Batman was a supporting character in this flick.

my mom said the same thing.

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 01:01 PM
I think you also see it when he walks in on the Mob meeting. As well as when he goes after the black mob boss.
There are others, too. Those are the most glaring, though.

Well, no, and again I defer to my poor memory as it seems to have come up a few times in this thread, but in the mob meeting scene I just remember him talking about how Batman needs to go a lot. I recall the gist of the motivation he expressed that carried over from that scene to the interrogation, that the crime underworld (and Gotham in general I guess) needed to be released from the terrorism of Batman... but that's just not the same.

downingthief
07-24-2008, 01:04 PM
So, shoving a dude's head into a pencil while "showing" a magic trick doesn't suffice? Or, strapping yourself to about a dozen grenades?

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Um... no, no, listen, I'm not arguing that he wasn't homicially insane. Of course he was. I'm saying that his motivation for doing so and the persona in general became muddled.

downingthief
07-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Ok, ok. I get where you are coming from. I disagree, but I get it.

I disagree in the sense that it was muddled. Yes, KJ was much more pronounced, etc. More detailed. But, wouldn't you agree that in comic book form it would need to be? More than a movie?

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 01:12 PM
They had two and a half hours. That movie was twenty minutes too long with vastly less important bullshit as it was, and a good writer (and actor) could have communicated all that with just a few simple rewrites of his dialogue scenes.

Blinken
07-24-2008, 01:18 PM

It comes through for me, at least, in the interogation scene, and towards the end. When Dent changes into Two-Face, and the joker is telling Batman about the change, he expresses the same ideas that he is talking about in that page.

downingthief
07-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Just got this forwarded to me:

Jeffrey Katzenberg, who is a major advocate of theatrical 3-D films, has disclosed that George Lucas is investing in a technology that could turn all of his Star Wars movies into 3-D features that could be given new releases. Katzenberg told the website ComingSoon.net that he now has the technical resources to begin the conversion process. Previous attempts to turn 2-D movies into 3-D have produced mixed results and reactions -- mostly negative -- but Katzenberg remarked in the interview that Lucas "isn't going to put a product out, I think, that isn't anything other than first rate."

schoolofruckus
07-24-2008, 01:29 PM

The interrogation room, and the scene where the Joker's hanging upside down and boasting about how one of the ferry boats will certainly push the button. And that was all it needed. There's only so much theoretical discussion about the nature of the world for one movie - even one as long as this.

Blinken
07-24-2008, 01:29 PM
but Katzenberg remarked in the interview that Lucas "isn't going to put a product out, I think, that isn't anything other than first rate."

He thinks wrong!!!!!!

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 01:33 PM
The interrogation room, and the scene where the Joker's hanging upside down and boasting about how one of the ferry boats will certainly push the button. And that was all it needed. There's only so much theoretical discussion about the nature of the world for one movie - even one as long as this.

See, the ferry boat is a good example though. That's the Joker BANKING on everyone else being inherently evil and crazy, which isn't quite the same thing as making it his mission to suck the rest of the world into his own demented madness. He's not trying to drive them to any real state of horrific psychopathy, he's just playing a game with survival instinct. It wouldn't be necessarily crazy or demonic for either of those boats to have pushed the button, it was just a Sophie's Choice deal.

menikmati
07-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Just got this forwarded to me:

Jeffrey Katzenberg, who is a major advocate of theatrical 3-D films, has disclosed that George Lucas is investing in a technology that could turn all of his Star Wars movies into 3-D features that could be given new releases. Katzenberg told the website ComingSoon.net that he now has the technical resources to begin the conversion process. Previous attempts to turn 2-D movies into 3-D have produced mixed results and reactions -- mostly negative -- but Katzenberg remarked in the interview that Lucas "isn't going to put a product out, I think, that isn't anything other than first rate."

Enough already. Is Lucas broke?

schoolofruckus
07-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Yeah but you have to make the audience care about what the hero cares about. Fact is, Batman was a supporting character in this flick.

I agree that this was inadequately pulled off. The movie had plenty of flaws and many of them had to do with Rachel Dawes' character, as written and played.

downingthief
07-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Enough already. Is Lucas broke?

No kidding. The last Non Star Wars related movie he directed was American Graffiti...in 1973. Dude needs to get another hobbie.

chairmenmeow47
07-24-2008, 01:51 PM
lucas needs to put everything on hold and get me a game for the wii so i can play with lightsabers. i mean WHAT THE EFF, srsly!!!

downingthief
07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
lucas needs to put everything on hold and get me a game for the wii so i can play with lightsabers. i mean WHAT THE EFF, srsly!!!

Soon, Ivy...soon. I heard around Christmas.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Launch date is September 16th.

schoolofruckus
07-24-2008, 01:53 PM
See, the ferry boat is a good example though. That's the Joker BANKING on everyone else being inherently evil and crazy, which isn't quite the same thing as making it his mission to suck the rest of the world into his own demented madness. He's not trying to drive them to any real state of horrific psychopathy, he's just playing a game with survival instinct. It wouldn't be necessarily crazy or demonic for either of those boats to have pushed the button, it was just a Sophie's Choice deal.

He was forcing people to choose to kill in the name of saving themselves, intending to prove that they are not that far off from evil and all they need is a "bad day". The mentality to kill or be killed is animalistic (i.e., subhuman). Either the civilians on their boat play God with the lives of the prisoners (under the flimsy rationalization that "they had their chance"); the guards on the prison boat do the same out of selfish desire not to die; or the prisoners over-take the guards (creating chaos) and kill the civilians. Granted, the last scenario is probably both most likely, and most flimsy according to the Joker's logic. But it's a chaotic situation that forces everyone involved to make choices they wouldn't usually have to make.

schoolofruckus
07-24-2008, 01:54 PM
No kidding. The last Non Star Wars related movie he directed was American Graffiti...in 1973. Dude needs to get another hobbie.

What's so sad about this is if you watch THX 1138 nowadays. That movie was AWESOME, and definitely an influence on films like Pi and The Matrix. Lucas' output since then has gotten amazingly worse.

chairmenmeow47
07-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Soon, Ivy...soon. I heard around Christmas.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Launch date is September 16th.

thanks, sean. and it's around my techie roommate's birthday, so i can buy it for him as a "present". excellent *taps fingers mr. burns style*

downingthief
07-24-2008, 02:02 PM
What's so sad about this is if you watch THX 1138 nowadays. That movie was AWESOME, and definitely an influence on films like Pi and The Matrix. Lucas' output since then has gotten amazingly worse.

Agreed. I still enjoy watching AG and THX from time to time. An example of a Director who simply got wooed by technology, and forgot the most important parts of any movie : Characters, script, and plot.

amyzzz
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM
when will this thread be safe for people who haven't seen batman yet?

downingthief
07-24-2008, 02:05 PM
when will this thread be safe for people who haven't seen batman yet?

Never. Go see it. Now. :)

schoolofruckus
07-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Probably about a week. All the biggest loudmouths have seen it already, so there shouldn't be reason to fervently debate it much longer.

amyzzz
07-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Never. Go see it. Now. :)
Since we decided not to take the kids, I have to work up the nerve to ask someone (i.e. annoying family member) to watch them. I know, I know--I should just find some local teen to babysit, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Anyone planning to see the new X-Files?

downingthief
07-24-2008, 02:36 PM

Not me. I'll wait for it to come out on DVD. Just doesn't interest me any more.

wmgaretjax
07-24-2008, 02:37 PM

No, because from what I've heard it's not mythology related. If it turns out that it is, I will go.

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Chris Carter must be recognized no matter what. The mythology is done anyway.

Blinken
07-24-2008, 02:40 PM
I will end up seeing it, don't know if it will be this weekend though

amyzzz
07-24-2008, 02:42 PM
No, because from what I've heard it's not mythology related. If it turns out that it is, I will go.
You mean it doesn't deal with past X-Files issues? I saw the trailer, and I couldn't figure out what they were dealing with. It didn't seem like aliens; it seemed more like something supernatural (bodies under ice?). I can't really remember the trailer very well.

Blinken
07-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah it is a completly new story, basically a stand alone film so that if you have forgotten what happened 6 years ago you will still be fine.

Somewhat Damaged
07-24-2008, 03:34 PM

Jen and I are going Saturday.

atom heart
07-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Katzenberg remarked in the interview that Lucas "isn't going to put a product out, I think, that isn't anything other than first rate."

Where has this man been for the past ten years?

X Files couldn't possibly pick up on its mythology again. It was getting way too convoluted.

Mr. Dylanja
07-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Chris Carter must be recognized no matter what.

I think the ref does a fine job recognizing, along with the entire crowd......
http://infohost.nmt.edu/~dsandov1/Touchdown.jpg

iv3rdawG
07-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Revolution Studios has announced its interest in continuing the “Daddy” franchise with a third installment which has been tentatively entitled Daddy Day Cruise.

Eddie Murphy, who was absent from the film’s first sequel, will be reprising the movie’s title role as Charlie Hinton, the day care’s co-founder.

Murphy was quoted, “All I know about this one is that it’s gonna be different. We’re heading in a different direction. I understand what they were trying to do with the sequel, but we’re really amping it up this time around. We’re going back to its roots, but with a twist.”

The film’s supporting role of Phil Ryerson (originally played by Jeff Garlin) is still not yet confirmed, but there are talks of Lawrence Guterman (Cats and Dogs, Son of the Mask) having extreme interest in directing the third film.

Daddy Day Cruise once again follows stay at home dad Charlie Hinton, the co-founder of Daddy Day Care. When Charlie’s wife, Kim, wants a little break from her husband’s up and coming business, she asks him to take her and their son on a cruise to get Charlie’s mind off all his work. Unable to abandon his day care kids, Charlie is forced to bend some rules and bring along the whole day care as well.

The “Daddy” movies have made a total of $110 million with this one having an expected release date of fall 2009.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/7160/images5cdonotwantre4.jpg

wmgaretjax
07-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Chris Carter must be recognized no matter what. The mythology is done anyway.

:( yeah, but it ended so shittily... and there were still unanswered issues and plot lines.

I'm being stubborn, I'll end up going to see it, I'm sure.

Yablonowitz
07-24-2008, 06:59 PM
While you are watching yes, but by the time all the pieces are together it's fairly clear. Segments earlier on in the film that contradict later ones are revealed to be false. In the end there is clear picture of exactly what occurred. You could potentially argue that you can't trust the antagonist's explanation at the "end" can't be trusted, but he doesn't really have any reason to lie, and his explanation seems consistent with both the manner in which the story is told, and the different plot elements in and of themselves.

No, the first few times I saw it, I was convinced you could actually figure out the objective truth of the story...but the more I've watched it, the more it seems the very essence of the film is to question the nature of objective reality and that the "truth" of what happened was entirely up to the whims of the narrator/Guy Pearce.

You should actually pay attention when you watch it. Maybe that wool scarf is obstructing your view.

wmgaretjax
07-24-2008, 07:22 PM
You should actually pay attention when you watch it. Maybe that wool scarf is obstructing your view.

Actually, wool is much too posh for me.... Makes me itch. I think it's just cotton. And it's summer...

I haven't seen the film in a long time, and I'm not denying that one of the points of the film is that a subjective narrator is leading us through plot. And, in what might be a cop out, Nolan drives this home by proving to us that the protagonist has been wrong and mislead this whole time by showing us the "reality" of his situation. This is solidified even further by the fact we know that he will forget this revelation in a few moments. The subjectivity is still there, but the plot points are fairly clear.

Yablonowitz
07-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Actually, wool is much too posh for me.... Makes me itch. I think it's just cotton. And it's summer...

You know, Italian wool is relatively itch free, I've found. It's also amazingly economical in terms of how thin it can be and still retain heat. If there is one fabric in this great big world of ours that I would actually go door-to-door selling, it's Italian wool.

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Memento is a brilliant gimmick movie. But that's all. The actual plot when put together properly is just fucking silly and the ending a stupid reveal.

Down Rodeo
07-25-2008, 01:59 AM
Memento is a brilliant gimmick movie. But that's all. The actual plot when put together properly is just fucking silly and the ending a stupid reveal.

Huh...kind of sounds like The Usual Suspects to me.

RotationSlimWang
07-25-2008, 02:54 AM
Um... well I can't argue against that slight entirely. Usual Suspects is also gimmicky. Well, no, I'm going to take a second to distinguish between what Memento does which constitutes a gimmick and what Usual does which is really just a theoretically hacky reveal. In retrospect Usual's ending does shine as a bit obvious in its secrecy--taking the one character furthest from suspicion as Kaiser and thus making the narrative a smarmy little "Was it ALL a lie? Tee hee!"

But that's just a snap at the end that has ripples backwards. Memento's triumph is in the way it fuses the execution of how the story is presented with the protagonist's perspective. But when you break it down, it's basically just a series of vignettes simply structured to produce the highest incidence of role and situations reversals from one scene to the next. It's very clever, and since it hadn't be done before deserves plenty of credit as a merging of concept and content... but each watching after the first rings way less interesting.

I suppose the difference is that Verbal Kint wasn't really the protagonist of the story at all, just the narrator (I mean if we put the reveal that he's Kaiser aside for the moment, of course). The protagonist starts as Gabriel Byrne but is then replaced with the spectre of Kaiser. The reveal--smarmy though it may be--is actually a similar combination of those factors I mentioned for Memento. The best way to execute a story about Kaiser Soze was achieved: even we the audience can only manage to get a half-truth about him, if that. How better to demonstrate an almost supernaturally deceptive character?

But by the end of Memento we've seen that not only were none of the characters what they seemed to be, they were all the COMPLETE POLAR OPPOSITES of what we were initially shown of them. Frequently there's even three or four polar opposites they flip through to keep us on our toes. When all's said and done though and it turns out he's the guy he was looking for all along and the entire plot was a delusion of his--not an intentional deception of the audience by a trickster protagonist but an incidental deception of the audience by a deluded one. It invalidates any legitimacy anything that we saw had except for the nifty execution. That's a gimmick.

When your reveal is that the entire premise of a story that did nothing except "bet you things aren't what they seem... LOOK! ALL DIFFERENT NOW! SUDDENLY! SUDDENLY ALL OVER YOUR FUCKING FACE! Sorry to have to do that, here's what's really going on, I swear I won't yell at you like that at the beginning of each scene anymore. Yeah, I promise, for realsies this time. Hey, pay attention, something significant is happening now. Pinky swear." That's the point where I say it's safe to say we've hit style over substance.

Oh, and there's the whole thing where somehow he's actually had this condition back before his wife died, and it turns out he killed her and made up the story of her murder to hide the truth from himself. Um... excuse me, but he had no memory before she died too. How could he possibly have ever remembered killing her, let alone felt a psychological need to invent a fake memory for himself... when he must know he couldn't possibly remember the made-up story just like he shouldn't possibly remember the truth. And on top of it all, he would have had to choose this totally absurdly paradoxical course of action--motivated by a traumatic shock he cannot possibly experience--all in the timeframe of one of the fifteen minute slivers of memory. Most convoluted plan ever, conceived, plotted, somehow made to seem like a good idea all in fifteen minutes AND gotten to a tattoo shop with a first tattoo idea that would somehow fill in all these blanks again.

I mean, fuck. This guy can't string more than three thoughts together the whole movie, how the fuck does he ever conjure this horseshit all by himself? Was he a gimmicky screenwriter before he killed his wife or something? Actually, that would have made the movie kinda awesome. But he wasn't, so take all that ridiculous and then multiply by the convenient way somehow nobody like Teddy ever bought a fucking tattoo gun and just tricked him into letting them tattoo "NEVERMIND--I FOUND OUR WIFE'S KILLER, KILLED HIM. TOTALLY SATISFYING. NOT FUN KILLING ANYONE ELSE THOUGH, NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. NOW HURRY UP AND GET TO MENTAL HOSPITAL FOR PRESIDENTIAL COMMENDATION, SELF" on him?

Sorry for the rant, but it kinda annoys me that people still think that's a really great movie even after multiple viewings. Those're some big holes, they are.

Blinken
07-25-2008, 07:13 AM
It has been awhile since I saw Momento, but I thought that the attack still happened. The wife survived it but his memory got fucked up at that point. So after he kills his wife with insulin he assumes she died in the last thing he can remember the attack. I could be wrong seeing as I haven't seen the movie in years.

schoolofruckus
07-25-2008, 07:33 AM
That was how I also interpreted it.

Yablonowitz
07-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Um... well I can't argue against that slight entirely. Usual Suspects is also gimmicky. Well, no, I'm going to take a second to distinguish between what Memento does which constitutes a gimmick and what Usual does which is really just a theoretically hacky reveal. In retrospect Usual's ending does shine as a bit obvious in its secrecy--taking the one character furthest from suspicion as Kaiser and thus making the narrative a smarmy little "Was it ALL a lie? Tee hee!"

But that's just a snap at the end that has ripples backwards. Memento's triumph is in the way it fuses the execution of how the story is presented with the protagonist's perspective. But when you break it down, it's basically just a series of vignettes simply structured to produce the highest incidence of role and situations reversals from one scene to the next. It's very clever, and since it hadn't be done before deserves plenty of credit as a merging of concept and content... but each watching after the first rings way less interesting.

I suppose the difference is that Verbal Kint wasn't really the protagonist of the story at all, just the narrator (I mean if we put the reveal that he's Kaiser aside for the moment, of course). The protagonist starts as Gabriel Byrne but is then replaced with the spectre of Kaiser. The reveal--smarmy though it may be--is actually a similar combination of those factors I mentioned for Memento. The best way to execute a story about Kaiser Soze was achieved: even we the audience can only manage to get a half-truth about him, if that. How better to demonstrate an almost supernaturally deceptive character?

But by the end of Memento we've seen that not only were none of the characters what they seemed to be, they were all the COMPLETE POLAR OPPOSITES of what we were initially shown of them. Frequently there's even three or four polar opposites they flip through to keep us on our toes. When all's said and done though and it turns out he's the guy he was looking for all along and the entire plot was a delusion of his--not an intentional deception of the audience by a trickster protagonist but an incidental deception of the audience by a deluded one. It invalidates any legitimacy anything that we saw had except for the nifty execution. That's a gimmick.

When your reveal is that the entire premise of a story that did nothing except "bet you things aren't what they seem... LOOK! ALL DIFFERENT NOW! SUDDENLY! SUDDENLY ALL OVER YOUR FUCKING FACE! Sorry to have to do that, here's what's really going on, I swear I won't yell at you like that at the beginning of each scene anymore. Yeah, I promise, for realsies this time. Hey, pay attention, something significant is happening now. Pinky swear." That's the point where I say it's safe to say we've hit style over substance.

Oh, and there's the whole thing where somehow he's actually had this condition back before his wife died, and it turns out he killed her and made up the story of her murder to hide the truth from himself. Um... excuse me, but he had no memory before she died too. How could he possibly have ever remembered killing her, let alone felt a psychological need to invent a fake memory for himself... when he must know he couldn't possibly remember the made-up story just like he shouldn't possibly remember the truth. And on top of it all, he would have had to choose this totally absurdly paradoxical course of action--motivated by a traumatic shock he cannot possibly experience--all in the timeframe of one of the fifteen minute slivers of memory. Most convoluted plan ever, conceived, plotted, somehow made to seem like a good idea all in fifteen minutes AND gotten to a tattoo shop with a first tattoo idea that would somehow fill in all these blanks again.

I mean, fuck. This guy can't string more than three thoughts together the whole movie, how the fuck does he ever conjure this horseshit all by himself? Was he a gimmicky screenwriter before he killed his wife or something? Actually, that would have made the movie kinda awesome. But he wasn't, so take all that ridiculous and then multiply by the convenient way somehow nobody like Teddy ever bought a fucking tattoo gun and just tricked him into letting them tattoo "NEVERMIND--I FOUND OUR WIFE'S KILLER, KILLED HIM. TOTALLY SATISFYING. NOT FUN KILLING ANYONE ELSE THOUGH, NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. NOW HURRY UP AND GET TO MENTAL HOSPITAL FOR PRESIDENTIAL COMMENDATION, SELF" on him?

Sorry for the rant, but it kinda annoys me that people still think that's a really great movie even after multiple viewings. Those're some big holes, they are.

FYI - nobody read that.

Too long.

Brevity, man.

bmack86
07-25-2008, 08:59 AM
I agree with Gabe and Blinken, but I haven't seen it in years either.
I thought the attack still happened, and that he killed the attacker early on.

unitedwestand
07-25-2008, 09:07 AM
has anyone seen the new X-Files movie?
Hear its suppose to be very good.
Do you need to watch the previous one in order to go see it?
I've seen most of the television series, but not the older X-Files movies.

wmgaretjax
07-25-2008, 09:29 AM

Me too.

RotationSlimWang
07-25-2008, 09:52 AM
It has been awhile since I saw Momento, but I thought that the attack still happened. The wife survived it but his memory got fucked up at that point. So after he kills his wife with insulin he assumes she died in the last thing he can remember the attack. I could be wrong seeing as I haven't seen the movie in years.

Right right right, insulin, the particulars aren't really relevant. Although that's interesting, I hadn't ever considered the possibility that the memory of the attack would feel like the last thing that happened.

Call what he killed her with a banana if you want, the order of events I care about is 1. No memory; 2. Wife dies; 3. Man who can only have a fifteen minute max train of thought and has doctors and counselors and has to remember she's dead every fifteen minutes again... why hasn't anyone tattooed that "VENGEANCE COMPLETE, NOW VACATION" gist I posted earlier on him? It's not like he's hard to dupe, for fuck's sake.

wmgaretjax
07-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Call what he killed her with a banana if you want, the order of events I care about is 1. No memory; 2. Wife dies; 3. Man who can only have a fifteen minute max train of thought and has doctors and counselors and has to remember she's dead every fifteen minutes again... why hasn't anyone tattooed that "VENGEANCE COMPLETE, NOW VACATION" gist I posted earlier on him? It's not like he's hard to dupe, for fuck's sake.

Well, up until the end of the movie (beginning?), he's had that dude to help maintain the revenge romp (isn't he making money off of him as well?).

RotationSlimWang
07-25-2008, 10:09 AM
How could it possibly be any harder to make money or do whatever the fuck you want with that guy to have him convinced he's on a vengeance quest? Who in the holy hell went to the trouble of planting and getting him started tattooing this wild goose chase on the widower who can't possibly know what's going on ever?

I remember the insulin scene now, and I could swear Teddy attributes the credit for inventing the murder story to hide the thought of what really happened from himself, I remember there was definitely something along those lines. I dunno, it's annoying.

Somewhat Damaged
07-25-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm planning on watching Memento again this weekend. Will see how it holds up, and if I like it as much as I did when I first saw it, I'll clarify things for you, Randy.

amyzzz
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Has anyone seen Journey to the Center of the Earth (3D)? Planning to see that with kids in tow this weekend. (brendan fraser eye candy)
Don't make fun.

schoolofruckus
07-25-2008, 12:17 PM
How could it possibly be any harder to make money or do whatever the fuck you want with that guy to have him convinced he's on a vengeance quest? Who in the holy hell went to the trouble of planting and getting him started tattooing this wild goose chase on the widower who can't possibly know what's going on ever?

I remember the insulin scene now, and I could swear Teddy attributes the credit for inventing the murder story to hide the thought of what really happened from himself, I remember there was definitely something along those lines. I dunno, it's annoying.

Teddy is a bad cop who's using him to kill off criminals that he can then steal from. Teddy shows up when he needs to to keep pointing Leonard in the direction of the guys he needs him to kill. Since Leonard can't remember Teddy telling him to do this, Teddy's plan has only one hole - that Leonard would eventually convince himself that Teddy is the guy he's trying to kill.

Down Rodeo
07-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Has anyone seen Journey to the Center of the Earth (3D)? Planning to see that with kids in tow this weekend. (brendan fraser eye candy)
Don't make fun.

I saw it but not in 3D. It's fucking terrible, but your kids will love it.

amyzzz
07-25-2008, 02:53 PM
I heard it was much better in 3D.

schoolofruckus
07-25-2008, 02:54 PM
What did you think of the post production supervision? Was that top-shelf, at least?

Down Rodeo
07-25-2008, 03:01 PM
What did you think of the post production supervision? Was that top-shelf, at least?

Is this supposed to mean something?

RotationSlimWang
07-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Teddy is a bad cop who's using him to kill off criminals that he can then steal from. Teddy shows up when he needs to to keep pointing Leonard in the direction of the guys he needs him to kill. Since Leonard can't remember Teddy telling him to do this, Teddy's plan has only one hole - that Leonard would eventually convince himself that Teddy is the guy he's trying to kill.

Wait, is this like seriously what we're supposed to have gleaned from that half-assed mindfuck ending? It sounds almost familiar, but I'd remembered it fonder than I meant to, then. That's fucking absurd.

RotationSlimWang
07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Is this supposed to mean something?

It's a trick question--tell him it sucked or they won't let you in the clubhouse.

schoolofruckus
07-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Wait, is this like seriously what we're supposed to have gleaned from that half-assed mindfuck ending? It sounds almost familiar, but I'd remembered it fonder than I meant to, then. That's fucking absurd.

There's more "listening to Pantoliano's dialogue" than "gleaning" to it, but yeah. That's not to say that there aren't gigantic holes to it, or that it isn't still a gimmicky movie (albeit a really good one), so I'm not surprised you remember it unfondly. It's just that the motivations weren't all that vague.

Maybe you give Nolan's aspirations too much credit?

RotationSlimWang
07-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, I guess you can't call them vague exactly... you can certainly call it righteously shitty writing to try and cram that much surprise and exposition into one fucking scene. It's like some old mystery whodunit, where they lead you down a big long path of showing clues and characters and the audience is supposed to be trying to discern the killer's identity by paying close attention...

and then the brilliant detective gathers everyone in the den to unveil how he's deduced the killer is actually... some character no one could ever have possibly guessed, barely featured in the story if at all, and the only explanation for jerking us off like that is throwing in five minutes of dialogue exposition that completely rewrites the hour and thirty minutes of supposed plot leading up to that point.

That's utter hack shit. Sorry. It's like the definition of hack writing. Great gimmick, though.

schoolofruckus
07-25-2008, 03:21 PM
I think if you really wanted to study it (and at this point, I wouldn't say it's worth it), you'd find a lot of little justifications for Teddy's involvement throughout the movie. Ones that I found sufficient, at least.

schoolofruckus
07-25-2008, 03:23 PM
It's a trick question--tell him it sucked or they won't let you in the clubhouse.

Now you're giving ME too much credit.

Someone in our midst was the post supervisor.

RotationSlimWang
07-25-2008, 03:27 PM
I think if you really wanted to study it (and at this point, I wouldn't say it's worth it), you'd find a lot of little justifications for Teddy's involvement throughout the movie. Ones that I found sufficient, at least.

... sorry, it just doesn't work. You can't reneg on the ENTIRE storyline right up to the ending and then try to explain The Matrix in the last scene. No, fail. Fails for all the reasons Usual Suspects succeeds.

Down Rodeo
07-25-2008, 03:28 PM
In that case, the post production was one of the highlights of Journey to the Center of the Earth. Can't say the same for the writing...

RotationSlimWang
07-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Gabe wrote it and did some post production too. Good work on one of those things, try not to suck at the other next time, Gabe.

schoolofruckus
07-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Now you're giving me simultaneously WAY too much and not nearly enough credit.

ivankay
07-26-2008, 12:47 PM
i went to a screening of Tropic Thunder last night in connection with this Comic-Con thing. The movie was hilarious. i thought before the screening the premise would be shakey, but it works and the cast is solid. Some of the laughs were big and good in a very evil way. Seeing this again is a definite for me. Robert Downey Jr. was so good.

bmack86
07-26-2008, 04:16 PM
I just watched Stalker. jared, what was your tip to a better understanding?

wmgaretjax
07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
I just watched Stalker. jared, what was your tip to a better understanding?

In terms of better understanding, it's mostly in regards to how the film was shot and how it works psychologically.

When the film was sent to the development lab about half of the film was destroyed. So a large chunk of the film had to be re-shot. Due to the fact that the budget was so tight, a large part of that was shot in close-ups in order to avoid lots of art direction costs. The movie has a strange psychological presence because of the prominence of these kinds of shots. It works incredibly well, and it's interesting that this came as a result of a total disaster.

One of those beautiful accidents.

schoolofruckus
07-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Speaking of beautiful accidents....wait, hold on a second.

*lights snob card on fire*

Step Brothers had me pissing myself laughing. It's one of the dumbest movies ever made, but holy shit, was it funny.

There is literally nothing else to say about it.

betao
07-26-2008, 10:02 PM
i went to a screening of Tropic Thunder last night in connection with this Comic-Con thing. The movie was hilarious. i thought before the screening the premise would be shakey, but it works and the cast is solid. Some of the laughs were big and good in a very evil way. Seeing this again is a definite for me. Robert Downey Jr. was so good.

thanks for this review. was thinking about catching it soon, so its good to hear some positive info on it..

bmack86
07-26-2008, 10:35 PM
okay, because I wasn't sure if your statement was going to dramatically alter my interpretation of this fantastic film. I started out a bit wary; the beginning seemed almost too conventional for Tarkovsky. There were regular shots, and it seemed to move decently. However, once they wound up in the Zone, it became something amazing, and I liked the way he contrasted outside the zone with inside. The journey is impressive, and I like the fact that there is a possible twist at the end; it's not clear whether there really is one or not, but the possibility is there, and that was fascinating to me. I loved it, and it's probably my favorite Tarkovsky I've seen

Xenocide
07-27-2008, 12:54 AM
has anyone seen the new X-Files movie?
Hear its suppose to be very good.
Do you need to watch the previous one in order to go see it?
I've seen most of the television series, but not the older X-Files movies.

can't believe no one has posted on this yet...

the X-Files movie was pretty good (even if it was a kinda restrained plot, and less sci-fi than The Happening)...

and no, you don't need to have seen the previous movie... or even the series for that matter... although, i saw only a few little things here and there that you could even connect to the series, pretty stand-alone flick if you ask me... no Cigarette-Smoking man or Lone Gunmen or aliens or anything like that... a couple of real funny moments too... and a real die-hard fan moment at the end too... but at the same time, if you changed the name of the movie it coulda been a Ashley Judd/Morgan Freeman vehicle... the abundance of snow was a nice visual effect throughout... (secret scene at the end of this one too)

god, Gillian Anderson looks fuckin hot!

Xenocide
07-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Step Brothers was better than most of the recent Will Ferrell stuff out there, but the few very, very funny moments didn't totally make up for the not-nearly as funny moments that made up the majority of the flick... (2 secret scenes, btw)

Wanted was a tad over-the-top, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting... (compared to most of the crappy summer blockbusters... {dark knight aside} i'd say it was pretty good)

Hellboy II was eh... good visuals, and better than most of the recent comic book fare (hulk, hancock, etc)

Mama Mia... best & worst movie of '08? (well, except for Darkon maybe)... Amanda Seyfried is always fucking hot as fuck though, so... credits were funniest part of the flick by far...

Down Rodeo
07-27-2008, 02:18 AM
okay, because I wasn't sure if your statement was going to dramatically alter my interpretation of this fantastic film. I started out a bit wary; the beginning seemed almost too conventional for Tarkovsky. There were regular shots, and it seemed to move decently. However, once they wound up in the Zone, it became something amazing, and I liked the way he contrasted outside the zone with inside. The journey is impressive, and I like the fact that there is a possible twist at the end; it's not clear whether there really is one or not, but the possibility is there, and that was fascinating to me. I loved it, and it's probably my favorite Tarkovsky I've seen

So do you think they were in the Room at the end of the movie? Stalker said they were on the threshold, but it seemed to me like their innermost desires were actually fulfilled. Very fascinating movie, but I don't think it tops Andrei Rublev for me.

bmack86
07-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Well, based on some of the things that happened, specifically with the Stalker, I wasn't sure whether the room really had the powers he suggested at all. When he has that breakdown at the end, I couldn't help but think that maybe the reason the room worked so well for him was just because it inspired hope in people, regardless of whether it granted their wishes. He never saw that it had actually granted anything that anybody asked for, as he says, but he just believes. The two literal thinkers he brought with him make him question his faith, which has always gotten him through the tough and bleak area.

Down Rodeo
07-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, those are good points. But the writer just wanted to be inspired again, and he seemed to have found his inspiration by the end, and the scientist wanted his wife and lover dead, and I seem to recall a scene with a dead woman lying on the ground. I may be mistaken, I don't know.

Also, doesn't the final scene seem to suggest that the Zone actually does have supernatural powers after all? Or it could just signify the need for faith.

schoolofruckus
07-27-2008, 02:24 PM
W. teaser. Watch it quick before it gets yanked.

PJh7Md5KuWc

bmack86
07-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah, those are good points. But the writer just wanted to be inspired again, and he seemed to have found his inspiration by the end, and the scientist wanted his wife and lover dead, and I seem to recall a scene with a dead woman lying on the ground. I may be mistaken, I don't know.

Also, doesn't the final scene seem to suggest that the Zone actually does have supernatural powers after all? Or it could just signify the need for faith.

It's entirely possible. Someone pointed out to me that it could have been the oncoming train moving the glasses, although I disagree with that. If they were in the room, though, then the Stalker's deepest wish would have had to come true as well. So, that leaves open the question of what he really would have asked for. Did he want his daughter to be better (hence the supernatural ability playing some part) or did he want the Zone to exist? I lean towards the latter. The fact that the Zone is there gives him something to believe in, so he can go through his days without collapsing under the weight of life.

Courtney
07-27-2008, 03:13 PM
W. teaser. Watch it quick before it gets yanked.

PJh7Md5KuWc

Yanked. :(

I have seen a series of mediocre films this summer, including most recently Baby Mama. Although the jokes were tired, I guess I can at least appreciate that it broke the romantic comedy mold. Not to mention that Tina Fey and Amy Poehler definitely have more chemistry than 99% of on-screen couples.

corbo
07-27-2008, 03:38 PM
step brothers had me LMAO

Blinken
07-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Here is another link for the W. trailer

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/w/teaser-trailer

algunz
07-27-2008, 08:42 PM
I am watching "The Ten" right now. I'm not sure what to think of it. I've definitely had a few good laughs.

Winona is still on my "I'd go gay for . . ." list.

tessalasset
07-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I thought I was totally gonna get ripped on for coming in here and saying Step Brothers was good but I see I'm in good company. I definitely didn't think it was the best one of Judd's lately, but there were many times that I laughed out loud at random scenes or lines. The whole premise and story line was retarded but they kinda made it work. I LOVED the ending. At first I thought it was so cheap as fuck, but then it kept getting cheaper and cheaper until it was fucking hilarious to me and I was laughing out loud. And someone was definitely smoking weed in the theater during the film.

There was a trailer for pineapple express beforehand and it looked sooooo funny. I sorta can't wait to see that.

Hopeless Semantic
07-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Caught I'm Reed Fish yesterday and though it wasn't the greatest movie I've seen before, it was a rather decent movie. Jay Baruchel of Knocked up and Undeclared fame, stars as Reed Fish a smalltown radio show host who is caught in life's scheme of following his well-loved, deceased father. He is torn by his fiance and his once good friend who has returned to Mud Meadows. It is a rather quaint film and the way they play the film's point-of-view was also relatively interesting. Anyhow, I think Schuyler Fisk's performance in the bar scene was one of the highlights of the movie.

schoolofruckus
07-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Interesting....I've never even heard of that one.

Here's the teaser for Pixar's next film, Up. Looks to be about an old man who ties balloons to his house so it can lift off and.....I don't know.

AFdHyW-FGRk

Hopeless Semantic
07-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Well, the early moaning of Wall-E were kinda iffy on the movie and look how that turned out. Here's to Up bringing something great to the big screen.

On a sidenote, Lost Boys 2 (blah) is coming to DVD tomorrow.

stinkbutt
07-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I finally got around to seeing Dark Knight again and you guys were right although I still don't think Batman looked surprised when he walked through the door. When I watched the second time I realized the place where Harvey took Gordan and family was the same address that Joker told Batman Dent was at, but it was where Rachel died. As lame as it is you all were right.

PotVsKtl
07-29-2008, 12:35 PM
I had heard Stone was trying to get some of his Hollywood pull back by making a less controversial W documentary. It appears that is not the case.

PotVsKtl
07-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Docudrama.

schoolofruckus
07-29-2008, 03:12 PM
I think he already tried to do that with World Trade Center. Hopefully he feels like he's redeemed himself enough that he can make this movie the way it should be.

Blinken
07-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Isn't W supposed to come out before the election?

PotVsKtl
07-29-2008, 06:41 PM
http://chud.com/articles/content_images/125/t-rex%20third.jpg

Mr.Nipples
07-29-2008, 06:43 PM
good!

whynotsmile99
07-29-2008, 07:02 PM
holy shit thats a great poster

thestripe
07-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Isn't W supposed to come out before the election?

imdb has 17 Oct 2008 as the U.S release date.

schoolofruckus
07-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Trailer for The Brothers Bloom. (http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/9021110/standardformat/) Talented director (Rian Johnson, who made Brick), solid cast (Rachel Weisz, Adrien Brody, Mark Ruffalo)......awful trailer. I hope it's better than this.

Unless Aronofsky's The Wrestler or Soderbergh's Che comes out before year's end, there's very little to look forward to in American cinema this fall outside of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Milk.

tessalasset
07-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Oh my god the new Harry Potter trailer gave me the chills.

stinkbutt
07-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh my god the new Harry Potter trailer gave me the chills.

This is out already where?

iv3rdawG
07-30-2008, 01:39 PM
This is out already where?

sBGbKCm_pQQ

amyzzz
07-30-2008, 01:42 PM
wicked.

ragingdave
07-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Next up...

Harry Potter
Fly's with Silver Wings

Mr. Dylanja
07-30-2008, 02:02 PM
I saw Mongol last night, loved it.

Great epic and beautiful cinematography!

Can't wait for parts 2 and 3!

unitedwestand
07-30-2008, 07:12 PM
guess we now know the next Tom Cruise movie.
from IMDB:
From John Woo.
The Director of Windtalkers

Tom Cruise
Dakota Fanning

From the National Best Seller Novel

Isaac's Storm
Memorial Day. 2009

Plot: In 1900, The Most Deadliest Disaster in U.S. History happened, known today as The Galveston Hurricane.

whynotsmile99
07-30-2008, 08:32 PM
from IMDB:
From John Woo.

Tom Cruise
Dakota Fanning

Isaac's Storm
Memorial Day. 2009

Plot: In 1900, The Most Deadliest Disaster in U.S. History happened, known today as The Galveston Hurricane.

never even heard of the Galveston Hurricane. When did this pop up and how will it be ready by 2009? I thought woo was tied up with his epic 4 hour Chinese film and Cruise was doing that plot to kill Hitler movie that got postponed

schoolofruckus
07-30-2008, 09:03 PM
from IMDB:
From John Woo.

Tom Cruise
Dakota Fanning

Isaac's Storm
Memorial Day. 2009

Nothing good can come of this.

But Tom Cruise's next movie is Valkyrie. He's also got a (supposedly) pretty funny cameo in Tropic Thunder.

KungFuJoe
07-30-2008, 10:28 PM
noooooo!!

John Woo needs to stay in China & away from Hollywood.

Red Cliff has gotten amazing reviews & I can't wait to see it. I'm not going to settle for the condensed 3hr U.S. release either.

Down Rodeo
07-31-2008, 12:24 AM
I saw Sokurov's Day of Eclipse tonight at the PFA, and I wasn't terribly impressed. It was supposed to be a sci-fi film in the same vein as Tarkovsky, but I spent most of the movie trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Visually, it was actually very stunning and creative, but the story needed some coherence to really make an impact. Maybe with more knowledge of Central Asia and the effects of Stalinism, it might have been more appreciated. Oh well, I'm still excited to watch Russian Ark when I get a chance.

rage patton
07-31-2008, 12:35 AM
http://chud.com/articles/content_images/125/t-rex%20third.jpg

Is this Rob Zombies animated movie? I was reading about it a couple months ago and it sounds like it is going to be fucked up. I was wondering what happened to it. Ask and you shall recieve.

wmgaretjax
07-31-2008, 12:36 AM
I saw Sokurov's Day of Eclipse tonight at the PFA, and I wasn't terribly impressed. It was supposed to be a sci-fi film in the same vein as Tarkovsky, but I spent most of the movie trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Visually, it was actually very stunning and creative, but the story needed some coherence to really make an impact. Maybe with more knowledge of Central Asia and the effects of Stalinism, it might have been more appreciated. Oh well, I'm still excited to watch Russian Ark when I get a chance.

haven't seen that Sokurov film, but I'll look into it.

I will vouch for Russian Ark, Mother and Son, Father and Son, The Sun, and The Second Circle.

PotVsKtl
07-31-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm starting to get the feeling Valkyrie isn't getting released.

No, it's not an animated movie.

PotVsKtl
07-31-2008, 01:10 AM
Russian Ark was over the line.

rage patton
07-31-2008, 01:18 AM
No, it's not an animated movie.

Oh really? Hmm... well then in that case I am still wondering what happened to that project. Either way that poster looks so bad, it had to be good.

iv3rdawG
07-31-2008, 08:02 AM
http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw800/28771.jpg

http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw800/28772.jpg

http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw800/28773.jpg

http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw800/28774.jpg

http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw800/28775.jpg

http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw800/28776.jpg

stinkbutt
07-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Oh really? Hmm... well then in that case I am still wondering what happened to that project. Either way that poster looks so bad, it had to be good.

Still coming out I think next year but it's not that movie above just imdb it

Hopeless Semantic
07-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Caught Step Brothers last night and even though it wasn't the greatest movie, it managed to entertain a friend of mine, and to see her laugh was good enough for me. It is essentially the same smarm that Will Farrell replicates in any of his other films, so it isn't remarkable. There is laughs to be had throughout the film, but nothing that hasn't been don a hundred times over. If you're looking to laugh a little at the stupidity of a film, I recommend it. Or, bring along someone who needed a break from the weight on her shoulders. It will make things a tad bit more enjoyable.

schoolofruckus
07-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Trailer for Soderbergh's Che. This/these (if they release it in separate halves, as it was written) need to come out this fall - it's that simple. I'm not even some frathouse Che apologist; this just looks like it has potential for greatness.

uAsyGJbuU9Q

Down Rodeo
07-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Wow, that does look really good. I hope it comes out soon.

wmgaretjax
07-31-2008, 07:17 PM
I have a Parisian/Mexican friend who went to Cannes that said it was awful...

She has good taste in films, so it makes me nervous...

Yablonowitz
07-31-2008, 07:43 PM
In case you're very particular to this thread as the only meaningful movie thread, I thought I'd provide you with some selected dramatizations of "Wasted's Foreign Book/Movie Palace." (http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/28217/Selected%20Readings%20from%20Wasted%27s%20F.zip)

This is clearly giving the movie corner a run for its money.

Mr.Nipples
07-31-2008, 07:48 PM
In case you're very particular to this thread as the only meaningful movie thread, I thought I'd provide you with some selected dramatizations of "Wasted's Foreign Book/Movie Palace." (http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/28217/Selected%20Readings%20from%20Wasted%27s%20F.zip)

'hahahahaha' just isnt enough for this...

schoolofruckus
07-31-2008, 08:22 PM

Greg.....you are a deity. You are seriously a higher fucking being.

wmgaretjax
07-31-2008, 08:25 PM
'hahahahaha' just isnt enough for this...

perhaps 'tee hee hee'?

menikmati
07-31-2008, 08:39 PM
That is fucking gold! I wanna hear audio versions of his superior knowledge regarding earthquakes and doomsday events.

miscorrections
07-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Oh my god, Greg, you are the light of my life.

bmack86
07-31-2008, 09:51 PM
it's a winner. A total winner.

dorkfish
07-31-2008, 10:39 PM
I love how often Greg changed his accents. Also the "tooooooooooooooo" was golden.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7003/videodromedvd1ml9.jpg

Mr.Nipples
07-31-2008, 10:53 PM
god i love that movie

dorkfish
07-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Cronenburg had a good hot streak:

The Brood into Scanners into Videodrome into The Dead Zone into The Fly

Now he's producing a movie called "Drone":

Outline: "A young couple adopts a child who has an unsettling obsession with bees."

fasttrack
07-31-2008, 11:15 PM
i just saw videodrome for the first time a few weeks ago. it's as strange as it is awesome and it's very strange.

Mr. Dylanja
08-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Has anybody seen The Wackness?

I think I'm going to check it out this weekend...

rage patton
08-01-2008, 12:13 AM
I have a Parisian/Mexican friend who went to Cannes that said it was awful...

She has good taste in films, so it makes me nervous...

Most of the negative reviews about the movie I have read, were only negative due to the length. It was 4 and half hours after all. I guess the rumours are now that it is going to be released as two movies.

Young blood
08-01-2008, 07:48 AM
hahaha greg, you nerd. That was awesome.DRAMATIC!

codytwo
08-02-2008, 01:52 PM
TDK is not gonna beat Titanic to be the highest grossing film of all time. These days it's all about the first opening weekend and nothing else. And like shaker said, that record is broken almost once a year now, so it really doesn't mean anything now (plus the whole inflation thing too).

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2008/08/01/2008-08-01_dark_knight_sailing_into_titanic_box_off.html

thefunkylama
08-02-2008, 02:25 PM
I can't wait to get home now.

menikmati
08-02-2008, 02:32 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2008/08/01/2008-08-01_dark_knight_sailing_into_titanic_box_off.html

Doesn't show or tell me anything...of course TDK was gonna get close to $400 million, but movies these days are not built for long hauls in the theatres anymore. It's the first couple of weeks (usually just the opening weekend) and then its over. Sure fanboys will see a few times, but like Gabe said, with the internet available now and people being able to download it, plus the huge potentials of DVD sales, all those add up for no film getting near Titanic's record. TDK is not gonna surpass Titanic. I would put money on that.

The way things work now, a couple years from now, Spiderman 4 or some other crappy film will take the opening weekend crown. That feat means nothing anymore.

JustSteve
08-02-2008, 02:52 PM
saw an ad for bridshead revisited where one of the quotes went something like "finally, the movie that intelligent moviegoers have been waiting for." how obnoxious.

whynotsmile99
08-02-2008, 03:28 PM
saw an ad for bridshead revisited where one of the quotes went something like "finally, the movie that intelligent moviegoers have been waiting for." how obnoxious.

haha I thought the same thing. I think the guys who made "epic movie" and "disaster movie" should make "stuffy English melodrama starring Emma Thompson Movie"

dorkfish
08-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Off to see Hellboy 2. I'll be back with one of my patented 5 word reviews.

mountmccabe
08-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Greg.....you are a deity. You are seriously a higher fucking being.

QFT

roberto73
08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
The Reaping was on HBO tonight. In this heartwarming tale of faith and redemption, Hillary Swank's cleavage battles the Antichrist. Unjustly overlooked at Oscar time.

miscorrections
08-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Off to see Hellboy 2. I'll be back with one of my patented 5 word reviews.

I can do it in one: terrible.

sbessiso
08-03-2008, 11:40 AM
sBGbKCm_pQQ

the new Harry Potter teaser? Holy shit it's amazing! As a huge Pott-Head, it feels great to get excited about the movies again, I think Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix were mildly dissapointing (I understand they have to trim a lot but they felt TOO rushed)

It doesnt hurt that Half-Blood Prince kicks all kinds of ass

bmack86
08-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I rewatched Being John Malkovich last night. That movie is funny, weird and strangely affecting.

bluemamba
08-03-2008, 07:58 PM
i saw Mullholland Dr yesterday. awesome movie.

miscorrections
08-03-2008, 08:03 PM
the new Harry Potter teaser? Holy shit it's amazing! As a huge Pott-Head, it feels great to get excited about the movies again, I think Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix were mildly dissapointing (I understand they have to trim a lot but they felt TOO rushed)

Mildly disappointing is a gigantic understatement. After GOF I was one big taut ball of rage/fury because they mangled it so badly. I swore I wouldn't go see any more of the movies, but I know I'll have to and most likely at midnight.

Courtney
08-03-2008, 08:10 PM

At work the other day, I caught my boss printing out semi-nudes of one of the lead actors in that film. It was disturbing. I was going to go see the film; but now I just have to eternally associate it with my boss' creepiness.

ivankay
08-03-2008, 08:11 PM
i like all the Potter films. i can't comment on anyone messing them up because i have yet to crack the books (i know....someday). i don't know what's missing from GOF to have made it better. It was one of the more action packed and brisk moving of the series. The humor (mostly involving Ron's brothers) was fun. i hope when i do read the books, i have the same attitude after i read "Gone With the Wind"...movie was great, book was great...hopefully they make a mini series from the book some day.

iv3rdawG
08-03-2008, 08:13 PM
i like all the Potter films. i can't comment on anyone messing them up because i have yet to crack the books (i know....someday).

Same here. I actually love all of the films. Prisoner of Azkaban being my favorite and Order of the Phoenix following behind. Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets weren't that great but the HP movies are easily one of my favorite film series so far from the 21st century.

iv3rdawG
08-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Which ones?

iv3rdawG
08-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah, Sorcerer's and Azkaban. You've seen the best and maybe my least favorite (Sorcerer's). So you're in for some good stuff at least.

miscorrections
08-03-2008, 08:47 PM
I've heard the movies are enjoyable if you haven't read the books, or if you've read the books cursorily and not really cared. To ardent nerds such as myself, however, they are steaming letdowns.

miscorrections
08-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Also first is Sorcerer's Stone, not Chamber of Secrets. That's the second one.

tessalasset
08-04-2008, 12:19 AM
I think I am a middle HP fan, if I had to pick between High, Medium and Low. I LOVED every single book, and I read them all before their respective movies, but I only read each once, and I don't remember all the minute details like I do Lost, so I actually enjoyed the movies a lot. I almost like it better that way.

wmgaretjax
08-04-2008, 10:47 AM
saw "Lars and the Real Girl" last night, it was terribly boring.

As far as Harry Potter goes, the first two were stupid. The third was fantastic. The fourth and fifth were overwrought. The sixth like it has some promise. And I think the idea of breaking the 7th into two movies will ruin it.

chairmenmeow47
08-04-2008, 10:51 AM
i saw the x-files movie on friday for my mom's birthday. she's a huge fan. she'd send me the shows recorded off the TV, along with the sunday fox line-up, at boarding school. it was always much scarier watching the show in the mountains with limited communication with the outside world. after the first 2 seasons, i didn't really keep watching though.

i liked the movie though. it had some of the weird "why the fuck are they doing that instead of something logical" moments, but those are fun to laugh at. it was a good movie too in that if you hadn't ever seen the show, you could still follow the movie.

some of the effects were lame.

*SPOILER ALERT*

like when amanda peet falls to her death, that was so bad looking it could have been filmed in the early 90s.

other than that though, good flick :)

Hopeless Semantic
08-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Caught the latest installment of The Mummy 3: Tomb of The Dragon Emperor with my mom yesterday--she's a huge Brendan Fraser fan, so I didn't think I'd enjoy it that much. And, well, it wasn't anything spectacular. I did enjoy having to look at Isabella Leong, though, so that made it worthwhile. It should've had Jet Li's role expanded on it rather than play the same way the other 2 movies did..you know; evil guy seeks immortality, girl, and utter world domination only to fail by a supposed superior team headed by the O'Connells. As mundane as it was, my mom thoroughly enjoyed it, so that is all that matters these days.

woogie846
08-04-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm excited for Pineapple Express.

Hopeless Semantic
08-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm excited for Pineapple Express.

Me too. I hear the Red character is supposed to be hilarious.

allyjoy
08-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I saw the Pineapple Express panel @ comic con. Seth Rogen is hillarious!

Hopeless Semantic
08-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Thug Life!

Blinken
08-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I can't wait for pineapple express, I might have to see it wendsday after work

bluemamba
08-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey Blink what happend to the thread you started for me??

Xenocide
08-05-2008, 10:14 AM
I can't wait for pineapple express, I might have to see it wendsday after work

midnight stoner screenings my friend...

tonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenightto nightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttoni ghtsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonigh tthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightst henighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthe nighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightstheni ghtonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenight tonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenightto nightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttoni ghtsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonigh ts...

Blinken
08-05-2008, 10:26 AM
See if I go to the midnight showing i will be too stoned to stay awake.

chairmenmeow47
08-05-2008, 10:28 AM
tonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenightto nightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttoni ghtsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonigh tthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightst henighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthe nighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightstheni ghtonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenight tonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenightto nightsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttoni ghtsthenighttonightsthenighttonightsthenighttonigh ts...

i always knew it would be like this...

thestripe
08-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Look it's TVOTR's Tunde Adebimpe!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HScFg3ekjIM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HScFg3ekjIM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sbessiso
08-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Just saw be kind rewind, it was really cute. Lots of people don't like jack black for doing the same shtick over and over but I'm a sucker for it. Mos Def was quite entertaining to watch and it was just a pleasnat funny film. I think it benefits from watching it at home instead of theater. The sweded flicks are so hilarious.

My one gripe is that I cannot believe Michel Gondry directed this. I've come to expect a certain level of film from him and I feel like almost anyone could've made this, unlike "eternal sunshine..." which is one of my favoreite films of all time

woogie846
08-05-2008, 02:45 PM
I saw Step Brothers last night. It was dumb but entertaining.

sbessiso
08-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Mirrors looks really scary! It's not my kind of movie but Kiefer is in it and if youd look at the pictures of him I have on my wall, you'd know i'm a big fan

Hopeless Semantic
08-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Am I trippin or is there another Halloween movie coming out? I saw a poster for it, but didn't really stop to see what it really was. I know there is also another Punisher coming out, too.

allyjoy
08-05-2008, 08:35 PM
I just did a stoner double feature; Be Kind Please Rewind and Harold & Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay. BKPR was a surprisingly good film. The ending is a little cliche, but the overall film is awesome. The shorts throughout the main story line were fun. S, you're going to have to explain to me why you think it looks like "just anyone" could make this movie.

H&K was just funny. It's one of the few films I've seen in a long time that made me really laugh.

rage patton
08-05-2008, 11:58 PM
I saw Step Brothers last night. It was dumb but entertaining.

I was a little disapointed. It was still funny and I enjoyed it. But it was nowhere near as funny as I thought it was going to be.

bluemamba
08-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Im sure that movie was better than the love guru

schoolofruckus
08-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Eli Roth.......Bear Jew? (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37812)

I don't see it. He doesn't have the physique that I thought this role was calling for.

iv3rdawG
08-06-2008, 08:34 AM
I really don't like Roth.

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/photos/watchmenbabies.jpg

sbessiso
08-06-2008, 09:17 AM
I just saw "The Mist", it wasn't bad, once again benefits from home viewing as opposed to theater. What a bummer of an ending!

bluemamba
08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
I just saw "The Mist", it wasn't bad, once again benefits from home viewing as opposed to theater. What a bummer of an ending!

The mist was pretty cool. ive been curious to read the book.

Down Rodeo
08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I finally saw Magnolia last night and was really impressed. It's refreshing to see directors that transform their grandiose visions into invigorating and engrossing pieces of filmmaking. PTA just may be the hope for a new generation of American directors. I would say this movie still tops There Will Be Blood as well.

wmgaretjax
08-06-2008, 12:34 PM
It's refreshing to see directors that transform their grandiose visions into invigorating and engrossing pieces of filmmaking.

nice

downingthief
08-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Say it Ain't So!

Aug. 6, 2008 10:22 AM
BANG Showbiz
Britney Spears is set to play a killer lesbian stripper in Quentin Tarantino's next movie.

The troubled singer is Tarantino's first choice to play a deranged dancer called Varla in the remake of 1965 cult film 'Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!'.

A movie insider said: "Quentin is convinced Britney will be brilliant.
"Britney is delighted, she thinks it could turn her career and her life around. A successful film could help her get out of her current nightmare. It is perfect Tarantino material. He wanted to get Britney first. She's playing the most important character."

In the film, Varla - who was originally played by Tura Satana - leads a trio of violent strippers and kills a man with her bare hands.

Tarantino is now trying to persuade two other leading Hollywood beauties to sign up.

Britney is no stranger to same sex encounters.

At the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards, Britney took to the stage and enjoyed a passionate kiss with Madonna and Christina Aguilera.

Blinken
08-06-2008, 01:49 PM
hmmmmm, I would give Tarantino the benefit of the doubt about this one if it is true. But I was under the impression that his next film was Inglorious Basterds and that he is in the casting process for it right now.

locachica73
08-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I just read the same thing about Britney Spears on AZCentral.com's website. A killer lesbian stripper... typecasting?

Backwater
08-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Does anyone else think VickyChristinaBarcelona might be Woody Allen's last great movie?

algunz
08-06-2008, 11:24 PM
I saw Stepbrothers yesterday, and it was really funny. The humor was unexpectedly fresh, even the fart joke. Besides Anchorman it is definitely my favorite Apatow/Ferrell/Reilly movie.

Boourns
08-06-2008, 11:32 PM
The only movie that matters this year:
UDws_tDZ-8c

denies the day
08-07-2008, 12:34 AM
PTA just may be the hope for a new generation of American directors. I would say this movie still tops There Will Be Blood as well.

PTA is on a very short list of incredibly talented American directors. But I feel TWBB is his masterpiece. So far.

Just saw be kind rewind, it was really cute... My one gripe is that I cannot believe Michel Gondry directed this. I've come to expect a certain level of film from him and I feel like almost anyone could've made this, unlike "eternal sunshine..." which is one of my favoreite films of all time

Just a different sort of Gondry, this one had a nostalgic/romantic vibe to it rather than Sunshine's emotional/romantic vibe. This film wasn't his strongest by far, he'll come around again.

... Quentin Tarantino's next movie.... remake of 1965 cult film 'Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!'.

I will forever wash my hands of QT if this happens.

Does anyone else think VickyChristinaBarcelona might be Woody Allen's last great movie?

I have yet to see the new one but Woody Allen hasn't made a decent film since Sweet and Lowdown.

denies the day
08-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Also, Danny Boyle's Sunshine started off well enough but got Hollywood pretty quickly. I understand it's a remake?

I'm so behind on films and this thread.

This week it's two fun revisits: Gaspar Noe's I Stand Alone and Wong Kar-Wai's Happy Together. Also a doc on Jackie Curtis.

Soooo behind...

Backwater
08-07-2008, 01:08 AM
TTWB was outstanding but Boogie Nights was even better.

I liked Be Kind Rewind, it was so much better than that Science of Sleep nonsense. Gondry is certainly nothing special. He's whimsical, like Disney for adults! Yea!!!

woogie846
08-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I saw Pineapple Express last night. It had the perfect combination of laughs and gunplay. I definitely recommend seeing it.

wmgaretjax
08-07-2008, 10:00 AM
I liked Be Kind Rewind, it was so much better than that Science of Sleep nonsense. Gondry is certainly nothing special. He's whimsical, like Disney for adults! Yea!!!

I agree with your assessment of Gondry, but I hated Be Kind Rewing. I almost walked out of the theater when I saw it.

I realized after Science of Sleep that Gondry was a hack, and the only reason Eternal Sunshine was any good was because of Kaufman.

whynotsmile99
08-07-2008, 06:28 PM
I agree with your assessment of Gondry, but I hated Be Kind Rewing. I almost walked out of the theater when I saw it.

I realized after Science of Sleep that Gondry was a hack, and the only reason Eternal Sunshine was any good was because of Kaufman.

please. He made two movies you didn't like and he's a hack? Hopefully you're not including his superb commercial/music video work as being directed by a hack as well.

I thought Silence of sleep was terrific and while Be Kind Rewind was light fluff, it was quite enjoyable. I think I'm in the majority of this one though. Most of my friends didn't care for either film.

Backwater
08-07-2008, 07:04 PM
I think I'm in the majority of this one though. Most of my friends didn't care for either film.

Wouldn't that make you in the minority then? Please defend Science of Sleep, I'm very curious to hear what you thought was good about it.

bmack86
08-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Commercials don't prove someone to not be a hack. They're commercials

And, i don't feel that he's a hack, but still. Don't try to use commercials as a film making argument.

locachica73
08-07-2008, 07:08 PM
I just watched The Other Bolyn Girl on DVD. I enjoyed it, some pretty erotic scenes and some creepy. But good for a good 2 hours of mind entertainment. No breasts and lots of love type stuff so a chick flick for sure but there were 2 beheadings and some incest, thats always a plus.

Somewhat Damaged
08-07-2008, 08:31 PM
The only movie that matters this year:
UDws_tDZ-8c

God, it infuriates me that shit like this gets financing. It's an insult to filmmakers of substance who struggle to get their films made because they aren't considered commercial enough. I guess it's true what they say about nobody going broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

I thought Silence of sleep was terrific and while Be Kind Rewind was light fluff, it was quite enjoyable. I think I'm in the majority of this one though. Most of my friends didn't care for either film.

Wouldn't that make you in the minority then? Please defend Science of Sleep, I'm very curious to hear what you thought was good about it.

I liked The Science of Sleep as well, though not anywhere near as much as Eternal Sunshine and not enough to want to bother purchasing it. If I had seen it more recently, I would be able to give it a more comprehensive review, and in that review, I would probably complain about it more than compliment it. The thing that gets me with Gondry's work, though, is the emotion that permeates it. My experiences with Eternal Sunshine and, to a lesser extent, Science of Sleep are closely intertwined with a relationship, and so I can never profess to have any objectivity in speaking to the merits of either. I would never expend too many words in defense of Science of Sleep because I see its weaknesses, but it struck a chord with me in a way few other films do, and that's enough for me to not consider it a throwaway. I fully appreciate that not everybody had that same experience, though.

SoulDischarge
08-07-2008, 08:41 PM
LdrkUokG40M is going to be so good.

whynotsmile99
08-07-2008, 09:24 PM

yea sorry, wrong word.

I honestly can't defend it well. I saw it only once when it first came out a few years ago. I watch movies all the time and they come in and come out of my head pretty quick.

I just remember walking out of the theater, knowing I loved it. I thought the relationship of two leads was great and it was very well acted.

I really like Gael Garcia Bernal's character in it, which I think was the biggest problem my friends had.

denies the day
08-07-2008, 09:27 PM
LdrkUokG40M is going to be so good.

Egad. What is that?

uhhh... nvm

bluemamba
08-07-2008, 10:33 PM
i got a chance to see pineapple express. that shit was funny and i dont even like comedy movies.

wmgaretjax
08-07-2008, 11:24 PM
please. He made two movies you didn't like and he's a hack? Hopefully you're not including his superb commercial/music video work as being directed by a hack as well.

three movies....

And his music videos and commercials (which I don't care for either, but it's besides the point) all rely on gimmicks as well... But, they are music videos and commercials and of course they rely on gimmicks... That's fine, it's the 90 minute features that irritate me.

Science of Sleep had fine acting... At least for the paper thin, hip-cliche characters that were written for it. The movie was vapid, there was absolutely nothing to it, all the while it pretended like it was revealing some kind of beautiful truth about the world. The only thing it revealed to me was in the Q&A when Gondry came out and acted like a complete asshole when he didn't get a standing ovation.

algunz
08-07-2008, 11:36 PM
I greatly appreciated Science of Sleep because there was a lot I could relate to in it. My "rant" is in this thread somewhere. Lost and ignored. :thu

I saw Be Kind Rewind on a bored afternoon alone (not knowing anything about it) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was clever and entertaining. Sometimes that's all a movie really needs. I adore Mos Def.

Has Gondry produced anything extraordinary? Not yet, but I wouldn't write him off my list of directors with potential.

And to be honest Eternal Sunshine might be last on my list of favorites by him.

bmack86
08-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Pineapple Express and Step Brothers were both funny, and I found a theater near my new apartment that costs 7 bucks for first run movies.

apostle2
08-07-2008, 11:52 PM
pineapple express was funny, but I couldn't help but come out of it thinking it was a little bit of a rip off of Hot Fuzz, at least in terms of formatting. I would say not as good as knocked up/superbad, but still a great comedy

humanoid
08-08-2008, 01:10 PM
pineapple express was funny, but I couldn't help but come out of it thinking it was a little bit of a rip off of Hot Fuzz, at least in terms of formatting. I would say not as good as knocked up/superbad, but still a great comedy

I just saw Pineapple Express last night, and several times while watching it, Hot Fuzz came to mind!

I thought the movie was damn funny...I think it's very difficult to make a movie as funny as Superbad, but I never really thought Knocked Up was that funny...more of a horror story really...chubby, dorky guy somehow has one night stand with hot girl, then she turns up pregnant? sounds like horror to me! (it still has hysterical parts though)

I absolutely loved Step Brothers!! I had kinda gotten a little burnt out on Will Ferrell, as it seems a lot of his roles have been nearly the same character lately, but Step Brothers had me laughing the entire time

sbessiso
08-08-2008, 03:38 PM
I thought pineapple express kicked all kinds of ass. The bromosexuality really was quite fantastic. James Franco needs to do more comedy and less "Flyboys" and "tristan & isolde". seth rogen is the love of my life. i thought it was muuuuuch better than superbad, which I found a little dissapointing

Backwater
08-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Superbad disappointed you?!?! What did you expect it to deliver that it didn't? I think it's hands down the best Apatow film with Knocked Up and Virgin tied for a very distant second.

wmgaretjax
08-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Superbad disappointed you?!?!

Your disbelief is cute.

Blinken
08-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Pineapple Express was great, such a great mix of comedy and hyperviolence, there were a few scenes where I was shocked by how far they took it. Red is comedic gold, everythin about that character was hillarious.

woogie846
08-08-2008, 11:22 PM
I just finished watching Rosemary's Baby.

Backwater
08-08-2008, 11:58 PM
That's weird, I just watched Rosemary's Baby again last night. I need to see the rest of Polanski's films.

SoulDischarge
08-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Start with 'The Tenant.'

apostle2
08-09-2008, 12:41 AM
my roommate pointed out to me today that dark knight is #1 on the IMBD top 250. fucking fanboys, at least we know it will drop eventually, but I wouldn't be surprised if it stays in the top ten

Down Rodeo
08-09-2008, 01:39 AM
I need to see the rest of Polanski's films.

Chinatown is a masterpiece.

denies the day
08-09-2008, 11:11 AM
That's weird, I just watched Rosemary's Baby again last night. I need to see the rest of Polanski's films.

Start with 'The Tenant.'

Check out Repulsion, as well.

Chinatown is a masterpiece.

QFT

wmgaretjax
08-09-2008, 12:43 PM
don't listen to any of them. The natural starting place is "Knife in the Water"

Backwater
08-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Chinatown is the only other one I've seen. I'll see The Tenant, Repulsion and Knife in the Water in no particular order but those will be the next three I'll see.

wmgaretjax
08-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Chinatown is the only other one I've seen. I'll see The Tenant, Repulsion and Knife in the Water in no particular order but those will be the next three I'll see.

I would strongly recommend watching Polanski in chronological order. It sounds silly, but his evolution is fascinating and totally worth experiencing linearly.

humanoid
08-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I would strongly recommend watching Polanski in chronological order. It sounds silly, but his evolution is fascinating and totally worth experiencing linearly.

I completely agree with this

woogie846
08-10-2008, 10:36 AM
I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid on a big screen in a park last night.

Ardentbiscuit
08-10-2008, 01:20 PM
I just think it's lame Fred Durst directs movies now..

That one starting August 22nd with Ice Cube called the Longshots is directed by him...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091751/

bluemamba
08-10-2008, 02:05 PM
anybody seen pineapples express already??

wmgaretjax
08-10-2008, 02:47 PM
anybody seen pineapples express already??

Looking over the last few pages would definitely have killed you.

bluemamba
08-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Apatow movie rundown

1. Pineapple Express

2. Superbad (Almost tied in first)

3. 40 year old virgin

4. Knocked Up

roberto73
08-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Anyone else annoyed at the tendency to lump together all of the movies Judd Apatow's been involved in without differentiating between the role he played in making each? He's directed exactly two features: 40-Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up. If you're going to call Pineapple Express and Superbad "Apatow movies," then you'd also better include Fun With Dick and Jane, The Cable Guy, Celtic Pride, and about a dozen other movies that he's either written or developed.

Do you also consider Goodfellas to be a Barbara De Fina movie?

wmgaretjax
08-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Anyone else annoyed at the tendency to lump together all of the movies Judd Apatow's been involved in without differentiating between the role he played in making each?

Yes.

apostle2
08-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I find that frustrating too. and I think that the apatow written/directed/produced are far better movies, but the seth rogen written/apatow produced are funnier.

ghettojournalist
08-10-2008, 05:08 PM
James Franco is ruling my mind right now.

bmack86
08-10-2008, 05:11 PM
I tend to think of the ones coming out of his stable of friends/frequent collaborators (the Freaks and Geeks people) to be "Apatow" films, whether or not he was really a large creative force. They all seem to share a style of character-building that doesn't surface in other Apatow related projects. Under this umbrella I would place 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Superbad and Pineapple Express.

bmack86
08-10-2008, 05:12 PM
And, I found Ballad of a Soldier, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and The Vanishing (original version) at Amoeba for relatively cheap yesterday. I've got some watching to do.

luckyface
08-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Why wouldn't they use the Apatow name? It is a marketing tool used to sell the movie. His name is super hot, and everything he is attached to in some roundabout way ends up benefiting from it. It is kind of annoying, but at the same time (and as Brian points out), there are similarities in style between movies.

They did the same thing with the Farrelly Bros. after Something About Mary hit it big. They will continue to do it with other people after Apatow loses his luster.

menikmati
08-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm sick of everything Apatow and Seth Rogen.