PDA

View Full Version : Schoolio's Movie Corner

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124

randy ricochet
02-22-2007, 07:56 AM
I live down the road from Gollum!!!

schoolofruckus
02-22-2007, 09:09 AM
I know I'm going to regret this immediately after I post it, but....

in no order:

1 The Wizard of Oz
2 Empire Strikes Back
3 Aliens
4 Heavenly Creatures
5 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
6 The Exorcist
7 Back to the Future
8 West Side Story
7 My Fair Lady
8 Amelie
9 The Fountain
10 Stand By Me
11 American Beauty
12 Almost Famous
13 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
14 Philadelphia
15 Donnie Darko
16 Spirited Away
17 Signs
18 Velvet Goldmine
19 The Shawshank Redemption
20 City of God
21 A Scanner Darkly
22 Fight Club
23 The Princess Bride
24 Bringing Up Baby
25 Moulin Rouge - Baz Luhrmann <sp?>

Amy, you have two #7's and two #8's. I took off Bringing up Baby and Moulin Rouge to keep your list at 25. Is that okay?

jackstraw94086
02-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Amy, you have two #7's and two #8's. I took off Bringing up Baby and Moulin Rouge to keep your list at 25. Is that okay?

don't be so presumptuous, gabe. two 7's and 8's makes sense to her.

Yablonowitz
02-22-2007, 09:25 AM
This is a good list, but I'm a little worried about your mental health.

You aren't the first and you won't be the last.

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 09:27 AM
I was in a hurry this morning. I wanted to put up my list before I left for work. Silly me. I will go back and edit.

breakjaw
02-22-2007, 09:38 AM
I've never seen "Rules of the Game" or "Playtime" or "In the Realm of the Senses". They go on the list.

I recommend seeing "Monsieur Hulot's Holiday" before "Playtime" it sets up the Mr. Hulot character,and in my opinion is much funnier.

PotVsKtl
02-22-2007, 11:21 AM
24 Bringing Up Baby

There's a Katherine Hepburn DVD set coming out soon with the first Hepburn/Grant film and last to be released on DVD, Sylvia Scarlett. It's the movie she was making when Howard Hughes flew out to meet her. She plays a crossdresser or something and fights dinosaurs.

I watched A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints last night with Robert Downey Jr. and some kids. I liked the parts where everyone was yelling and beating people with baseball bats and having seizures.

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 12:13 PM
I watched parts of Bringing Up Baby 50 times in a film class I had in college, and it was funny every time. The teacher used it as an example of "screwball comedy."

SojuGorae
02-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Gollum was one of the main reasons why I chose The Two Towers. I also dug the big-ass fight scene at Helm's Deep and the introduction of the Ents.

I respectfully disagree about the Matrix Reloaded. I like the Matrix AND ONLY the Matrix of that trilogy. But I'll give you Terminator 2. Excellent movie.

Matrix 1 = great

Matrix 2 and 3 = Dork-fest that took itself too seriously

kimery08
02-22-2007, 12:29 PM
ive never seen any of the matrix movies.

and proud of it.

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Matrix 1 = great

Matrix 2 and 3 = Dork-fest that took itself too seriously
Speaking of the Matrix, I watched Aeon Flux the other day which tried so hard to be the Matrix with the stylish black clothes and stilted dialogue, but it just didn't work. The crappy thing is I really LIKED the sci-fi backstory--it was very clever and creative--but their execution of the story and their ridiculous dialogue fucked the whole movie up.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Here's my list - populist choices and all (after no.1, in no particular order)

1. Blade Runner (original theatre cut)
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
4. Nikita (Besson version)
5. Shawshank Redemption
6. Rear Window
7. Zulu
8. Monty Python's Life of Brian
9. Double Indemnity
10.The 39 Steps (Robert Donat version)
11.The Godfather/Godfather Part 2 (They are just 1 film in my mind)
12.Spartacus
13.How The West Was Won
14.American Beauty
15.LA Confidential
16.The Great Escape
17.The Sure Thing
18.Some Like It Hot
19.Trainspotting
20.12 Angry Men
21.Gladiator
22.Dr. Strangelove
23.Animal House
24.The Usual Suspects
25.Blazing Saddles

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 12:59 PM
9. Double Indemnity
oooo, good film noir!

20.12 Angry Men
Is that the one with Jimmy Stewart where he sways the entire jury to his side for some old guy who was charged with murder?

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-22-2007, 01:00 PM
oooo, good film noir!

Is that the one with Jimmy Stewart where he sways the entire jury to his side for some old guy who was charged with murder?

Close, it was Henry Honda...

y'know, that Japanese bloke!

chairmenmeow47
02-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Speaking of the Matrix, I watched Aeon Flux the other day which tried so hard to be the Matrix with the stylish black clothes and stilted dialogue, but it just didn't work. The crappy thing is I really LIKED the sci-fi backstory--it was very clever and creative--but their execution of the story and their ridiculous dialogue fucked the whole movie up.

but aeon flux was around before the matrix, so wouldn't it be the other way around? i mean, i know the movie was a lot "cleaner" and sleeker than the cartoon and all, but still...

i only liked the first matrix. though persephone was fucking hot. they could have done more there.

the ending to the first matrix was perfect, they didn't need the sequels.

and katherine hepburn bothers me for some reason. she always rubs me the wrong way. i think i would have enjoyed her more in live theatre than the movies.

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Close, it was Henry Honda...

y'know, that Japanese bloke!
Oh damn, Henry Fonda! My bad. I watched that movie in school. Riveting.

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 01:07 PM
but aeon flux was around before the matrix, so wouldn't it be the other way around? i mean, i know the movie was a lot "cleaner" and sleeker than the cartoon and all, but still...

Aeon Flux was just a cartoon short on MTV as far as I understood it. I thought they made up a whole new story to make it into a movie. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

chairmenmeow47
02-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Aeon Flux was just a cartoon short on MTV as far as I understood it. I thought they made up a whole new story to make it into a movie. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

i believe it started out as a short, but they had at least 1 or 2 seasons as a show. never was a big fan, i was like 12 when it was on the air and it didn't make much sense then. plus, i hate when cartoons are overly sexual. except jessica rabbit, she's hot.

the movie was a lot different than the show though, i liked the movie more actually. i guess it was similar to the style of the matrix, but it seemed pretty similar to the show too (only "cleaner").

not many people liked that movie though. the ivysaur stands alone.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2007, 01:58 PM
I love "12 Angry Men".

chairmenmeow47
02-22-2007, 02:04 PM
I love "12 Angry Men".

me too! i watched that for the first time a few weeks ago :)

jackstraw94086
02-22-2007, 02:16 PM
i believe it started out as a short, but they had at least 1 or 2 seasons as a show. never was a big fan, i was like 12 when it was on the air and it didn't make much sense then. plus, i hate when cartoons are overly sexual. except jessica rabbit, she's hot.

the movie was a lot different than the show though, i liked the movie more actually. i guess it was similar to the style of the matrix, but it seemed pretty similar to the show too (only "cleaner").

not many people liked that movie though. the ivysaur stands alone.

It was a short serial that was on MTV's Liquid Television back in the early 90's. The basic framework of the story was there even though they didn't really explain much. It wasn't so much a small rebel insurrection as it was a battle between warring political factions. In the cartoon both sides were somewhat evenly matched and neither was necessarily "good". There were some episodes where Aeon's side were kicking the shit out o the yellow/blue army. It had a moral ambiguity to it that wouldn't have worked as a movie.

i remember the Aeon Flux finale where she fell to her death and in the end she wound up just being a blip on the screen amidst a sea of ingrained covert operatives.

The movie was gawd awful.

I miss Liquid Television.

J~$$$
02-22-2007, 02:19 PM
2NJtXHjPnd4

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 02:20 PM
It had a moral ambiguity to it that wouldn't have worked as a movie.
Unless it was directed by Miyazaki <sp?>

jackstraw94086
02-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Nietschze pops
LVb_9UQY5jM

schoolofruckus
02-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Or Park Chan-wook.

I'm telling you guys - go rent "Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance" and "OldBoy" immediately. Jack's description of "both sides were somewhat evenly matched and neither was necessarily "good"" is the reigning philosophy in Park's first three films (the aforementioned plus the also-brilliant "JSA").

They're on US DVD's. Blockbuster may have them, but if they don't, then any independent video store will. And I guarantee that Netflix does.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2007, 02:28 PM
I just checked, and yes, Netflix has all four of Park's films. They will visually, intellectually, and emotionally put you on your ass.

Also, I knew I had forgotten a great Jeunet film in all the foreign film talk yesterday - "A Very Long Engagement". That movie was awesome, and definitely a must-see for anyone who likes war-time romances.

J~$$$
02-22-2007, 02:29 PM
GE_N63efxr8

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Maybe the morally neutral thing is an Asian way of thinking?

jackstraw94086
02-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Maybe the morally neutral thing is an Asian way of thinking?

Since when are asians famous for not knowing right vs wrong?

That's racist.

mountmccabe
02-22-2007, 02:41 PM
I am wholeheartedly in agreement about these and I often think the 2nd in a trilogy is the best (Indiana Jones excepted,although now it's going to be a quadrilogy) including Back To The Future,(when Biff becomes the megalomaniacal mogul) and Evil Dead 2 (Evil Dead was too low budget and Army of Darkness too over the top).
And of course Godfather 2!

The first Back to the Future was by far the best. The sequels had none of the wit and subtlty.

Brando is better than De Niro and Pacino lies to Keaton so the first the Godfather is the better. By far, really.

Also early Ridley Scott >> any era James Cameron. Alien has tension and suspense and real life to it; Aliens is an action movie. A great one, granted, but it pales in comparison.

I haven't seen Evil Dead or Evil Dead 2.

I'm trying to think of sequels that are better but I am not getting anywhere.

jackstraw94086
02-22-2007, 02:47 PM

Watch Spiderman again after watching Evil Dead 2. You'll notice how much Raimi's style is in the fight scenes. The quick, jerky movements really have an evil dead/army of darkness feel to them. It's what makes spiderman somewhat unique among the superhero genre IMO.

mountmccabe
02-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Watch Spiderman again after watching Evil Dead 2. You'll notice how much Raimi's style is in the fight scenes. The quick, jerky movements really have an evil dead/army of darkness feel to them. It's what makes spiderman somewhat unique among the superhero genre IMO.

What do you mean "again"?

But OK, sounds interesting.

Confession: I liked Cleopatra 2525

jackstraw94086
02-22-2007, 02:56 PM
What do you mean "again"?

= do it once more, repeat, etc.

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Since when are asians famous for not knowing right vs wrong?

That's racist.
haha, funny. But I didn't mean it that way. The world isn't always good/bad, black/white, and I enjoyed that viewpoint in movies like Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle. Each character has his/her motives, but no one is set up as the absolute protagonist who does everything right all the time.

KungFuJoe
02-22-2007, 03:08 PM
The first Back to the Future was by far the best. The sequels had none of the wit and subtlty.

Brando is better than De Niro and Pacino lies to Keaton so the first the Godfather is the better. By far, really.

Also early Ridley Scott >> any era James Cameron. Alien has tension and suspense and real life to it; Aliens is an action movie. A great one, granted, but it pales in comparison.

I'm trying to think of sequels that are better but I am not getting anywhere.

Rush Hour 2 > Rush Hour

X Men 2 > X Men

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Porky's The Next Day >......oh nevermind!

schoolofruckus
02-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I hate "Alien". I am definitely in the "Aliens"-is-better camp.

I also hate "Rush Hour 2" with every bone in my body.

"X2" is definitely a Pantheon sequel. I can't believe I forgot about that one.

"Spiderman 2" is also much, much better than the first. I still wouldn't mind if Raimi had the Coens ghost-direct the finale to "Spiderman 3" and find some way to toss Aunt May in a woodchipper.

jackstraw94086
02-22-2007, 04:05 PM

They are both great although "Alien" was the far more important film in the grand scheme. There hadn't really been any movie like it before.

KungFuJoe
02-22-2007, 04:37 PM

"Spiderman 2" is also much, much better than the first. I still wouldn't mind if Raimi had the Coens ghost-direct the finale to "Spiderman 3" and find some way to toss Aunt May in a woodchipper.

I was going to come back and mention Spiderman 2. Definately an amazing sequel!

Why do you hate Rush Hour 2 so much??? Do you hate Chris Tucker? Both these films are a guilty pleasure as I am a HUGE Jackie Chan fan (in which case i should truly hate these movies) I admit it though, Chris Tucker makes me laugh. I met him in person and is truly one of the coolest most down to earth Celebs i've ever met. Also, Zhang Ziyi!!! nuff said. Not sure if you hate the franchise altogether, but for my money Rush Hour 2 was much better than the orignal.

oh, and you "HATE" Alien??????? really? why? that's a strong word. I definately would go with "Aliens" too, but wouldn't say i hate Alien by any means

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-22-2007, 04:43 PM
They are both great although "Alien" was the far more important film in the grand scheme. There hadn't really been any movie like it before.

I like them both for different reasons.

Alien is a horror movie

Aliens is a war flick

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 04:55 PM
*** SPOILERS ***

I don't like Spiderman 2 so much because of that extremely LONG DRAAAWN-OUT horrible romantic end where she friggin jilts the guy at the altar for a man who can't really be with her. That chick is a total bitch if you ask me.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2007, 05:20 PM
I was going to come back and mention Spiderman 2. Definately an amazing sequel!

Why do you hate Rush Hour 2 so much??? Do you hate Chris Tucker? Both these films are a guilty pleasure as I am a HUGE Jackie Chan fan (in which case i should truly hate these movies) I admit it though, Chris Tucker makes me laugh. I met him in person and is truly one of the coolest most down to earth Celebs i've ever met. Also, Zhang Ziyi!!! nuff said. Not sure if you hate the franchise altogether, but for my money Rush Hour 2 was much better than the orignal.

oh, and you "HATE" Alien??????? really? why? that's a strong word. I definately would go with "Aliens" too, but wouldn't say i hate Alien by any means

Re: "Rush Hour 2"

I don't hate the entire franchise (the first one was funny and entertaining), or Chris Tucker (funny as fuck in "Money Talks", "Friday", and "Jackie Brown"), or Jackie Chan (although I'm far from a fan). I do hate Brett Ratner, but that doesn't make a difference here because these movies direct themselves. The reason I hate "Rush Hour 2" is because I felt like it accomplished absolutely zip. It was the same fuckin' picture as the first, only on a bigger budget, with a different backdrop that served no purpose other than the facade of "differing" from the first movie, and with Zhang Ziyi - one of the hottest actresses around, sure, but I'm not paying money to watch her stand there and mumble in sub-par English. If I want to watch a good movie with her, I'll pop in "Crouching Tiger" on DVD and be done with it; I don't need shit like this or "Memoirs of a Geisha".

You may think I'm beating up on a movie for no reason, but the bottom line is I didn't think it was funny. I thought it was a lazy, blatant money-grab sequel - one of the most egregious such sequels in history (this one plus "Men In Black 2" the following summer made me want Jackie Chan to break a ladder over my head). And the fact that Chris Tucker wastes his considerable comic gifts sitting around demanding epic piles of money so he can star in another of these lousy things just compounds my hatred - okay, you know what, I do hate the franchise. Fuck "Rush Hour".

And if Tim Hardaway can "hate" gay people, then I can "hate" "Alien". Can't I?

atom heart
02-22-2007, 05:54 PM
I didn't realize how much I hate Terminator 2 until I saw it at the theatre for a midnight showing last year. The first Terminator really scared me (okay, so I was four or five when I saw it), but the jerky stop-motion Terminator rising out of the flames of the burning truck still gets to me. When the T-1000 just saunters out of his own burning truck the scene has none of the original's menace. Also, the kid is REALLY annoying. By the end I just wanted to slap his prepubescent face. I couldn't stand that hoarse, high shriek.
And the END, the end is the worst. It is just so sappy. The thumbs-up as Arnie melts into oblivion made me want to scream in derision.

Yablonowitz
02-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Here's my list - populist choices and all (after no.1, in no particular order)

1. Blade Runner (original theatre cut)

SRSLY? You preferred the Harrison Ford voiceovers and ridiculous ending? I'll need an explanation on my desk by COB Friday. Thanks.

Yablonowitz
02-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Do we have to rank these? I'd rather not, but could force something if it was required.

Vertigo
In the Mood for Love
Memento
Bladerunner (director’s cut)
Big Lebowski
Cool Hand Luke
Amores Perros
Miller’s Crossing
Bottlerocket
Time Out
The English Patient (fuck y’all)
Requiem for a Dream
Jackie Brown
Breaking Away
Fargo
Evil Dead 2
Devil in a Blue Dress
Frantic
Muholland Drive
Oldboy
Strangers on a Train
Ikiru
Menace II Society
Spirited Away
Bridge Over the River Kwai

Jenniehoo
02-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Evil Dead 2.

full on idle
02-22-2007, 06:52 PM
you mean EOB, Montana.

Courtney
02-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Alphabetical because Netflix is awesome.

8 1/2
Amores Perros
Andrei Rublev
Apocalypse Now
The Breakfast Club
Breathless
Citizen Kane
City of God
Russian Ark
Clueless
Dr. Strangelove
The Graduate
Lost In Translation
The Maltese Falcon
The Manchurian Candidate
Memento
Persona
Pulp Fiction
Reality Bites
Rebel Without A Cause
The Royal Tenenbaums
Rushmore
Sunset Boulevard
The Usual Suspects
Vertigo

Hannahrain
02-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Earlier this evening, I watched "Factory Girl", a portrait of one-time Warhol "It Girl" Edie Sedgwick. I thought it was a fantastic movie that slightly suffered from a lackluster ending.

Ooook. I saw this movie a few hours ago, and i was going to wait until tomorrow to write about it. but it then occured to me that today is the 20 year anniversary of the day that andy warhol died, and that if i wrote this up today, i could start off with that. so here goes.

Today is the 20 year anniversary of the day Andy Warhol died.

that felt good. ok. factory girl. i have a lot to say about this movie, but my brain moves faster than my hands, so i'll try to keep it short and [semi]sweet.

I completely disagree with you on this movie. I thought that, while aesthetically pleasing, the movie itself felt very contrived. I might be biased, because I am an absolute fanatic about the Factory and everything that went on inside it. I make a yearly "pilgrimage" to the warhol museum for god's sake. But regardless of how interesting I find the subjects, I found the movie to be a disappointment.

Sienna was fine. Just fine, and nothing more than that. While she looked like Edie (thanks to some excellent contacts and veneers), there was a very pronounced fragileness and naivety about Edie that Sienna did not portray very well. I've never seen Sienna in anything else, but it seems like she wasn't acting all that much. She turned Edie into your average, cookie-cutter conflicted female lead.

Pearce was decent. I've seen better (Jared Harris in I Shot Andy Warhol) and I've seen worse (I'm gonna catch hell for this, but Bowie was a terrible warhol in Basquiat). Pearce's Warhol was too personable. Confident, almost. Warhol was an awkward, uncomfortable, unsure man. A leech, sure. But not a confident one. Although the makeup people got his skin condition down perfectly.

I did think the woman who played Andys mother was adorable. And it was charming when she opened the cupboard and it was full of tomato soup.

For some reason the woman who played Nico bugged the hell out of me as well.

Overall, I guess this is really a movie for people who aren't already interested in the Factory and it's goings-on, but more for people who are not familiar with the story. If i knew nothing about the characters, I might have enjoyed it more. So there's my two cents. Four, maybe.

Hannahrain
02-22-2007, 07:59 PM
I also thought i ought to mention that at the Factory's Velvet Underground/Exploding Plastic Inevitable shows it was not uncommon for lou reed (and i believe gerard malanga as well) to move through the crowd and inject people with things.

KungFuJoe
02-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Re: "Rush Hour 2"

I don't hate the entire franchise (the first one was funny and entertaining), or Chris Tucker (funny as fuck in "Money Talks", "Friday", and "Jackie Brown"), or Jackie Chan (although I'm far from a fan). I do hate Brett Ratner, but that doesn't make a difference here because these movies direct themselves. The reason I hate "Rush Hour 2" is because I felt like it accomplished absolutely zip. It was the same fuckin' picture as the first, only on a bigger budget, with a different backdrop that served no purpose other than the facade of "differing" from the first movie, and with Zhang Ziyi - one of the hottest actresses around, sure, but I'm not paying money to watch her stand there and mumble in sub-par English. If I want to watch a good movie with her, I'll pop in "Crouching Tiger" on DVD and be done with it; I don't need shit like this or "Memoirs of a Geisha".

You may think I'm beating up on a movie for no reason, but the bottom line is I didn't think it was funny. I thought it was a lazy, blatant money-grab sequel - one of the most egregious such sequels in history (this one plus "Men In Black 2" the following summer made me want Jackie Chan to break a ladder over my head). And the fact that Chris Tucker wastes his considerable comic gifts sitting around demanding epic piles of money so he can star in another of these lousy things just compounds my hatred - okay, you know what, I do hate the franchise. Fuck "Rush Hour".

And if Tim Hardaway can "hate" gay people, then I can "hate" "Alien". Can't I?

You sure can Schoolio. You can hate whatever you want. It's a free country.

You bring up very valid and true points about Rush Hour. Yes, Bret Ratner is a piece of shite hack. Yes, the Rush Hour movies direct themselves, with a little help from Jackie Chan of course. I totally agree that Chirs Tucker is a wasted talent. I do find it very strange that he hasn't done any other films lately except for the silly Rush Hour movies. Perhaps Anthony Anderson wouldn't have as good of a career than. I also agree that Rush Hour 2 was basically the same film as the orignal Rush Hour. However, the second one I find a lot more amusing. Where as, I'll rarely sit down and watch the orignal Rush Hour movie in it's entirety I find myself on many occasions watching Rush Hour 2. What can I say? It's a fun action movie, in which i can check my brain at the door and have a good laugh. Everyone has their guilty pleasures and this is one of mine. I like to call it a "Comfort Film". In no way do I think it's profound or groundbreaking, but I do prefer it to the first.

Now, this is way too much time I should be spendning trying to defend or discuss the Rush Hour movies.

What I'm getting at though is that we all have our "Comfort Films". Some people like cheesy romantic comedies, some people love horror movies. I love martial arts films and action movies. What I consider a comfort film is a film that has a formula you really enjoy. Sure you've seen it done a million times over, but it's the comfort of knowing what you're getting into and not having to put to much energy into being entertained. I'm not saying I enjoy all the films that fit into my "Comfort film" category (ex; "Transporter 2") I'm just saying. I hope this makes sense, I'm a little tired now ....

Anyways, if you have the urge to watch some real Jackie Chan films I reccomend any of these: Drunken Master 1 & 2, Dragons Forever, Armour of God 1 & 2, Project A 1 & 2, Police Story 1 - 3, Wheels on Meals, Who am I?, Snake in Eagles Shadow, the Young Master, etc...

Basically a lot of Jackie Chan films & martial arts films are similar in nature (much like many Westerns), but there is something I find very appealing and comforting about them on an entertainment level.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Ooook. I saw this movie a few hours ago, and i was going to wait until tomorrow to write about it. but it then occured to me that today is the 20 year anniversary of the day that andy warhol died, and that if i wrote this up today, i could start off with that. so here goes.

Today is the 20 year anniversary of the day Andy Warhol died.

that felt good. ok. factory girl. i have a lot to say about this movie, but my brain moves faster than my hands, so i'll try to keep it short and [semi]sweet.

I completely disagree with you on this movie. I thought that, while aesthetically pleasing, the movie itself felt very contrived. I might be biased, because I am an absolute fanatic about the Factory and everything that went on inside it. I make a yearly "pilgrimage" to the warhol museum for god's sake. But regardless of how interesting I find the subjects, I found the movie to be a disappointment.

Sienna was fine. Just fine, and nothing more than that. While she looked like Edie (thanks to some excellent contacts and veneers), there was a very pronounced fragileness and naivety about Edie that Sienna did not portray very well. I've never seen Sienna in anything else, but it seems like she wasn't acting all that much. She turned Edie into your average, cookie-cutter conflicted female lead.

Pearce was decent. I've seen better (Jared Harris in I Shot Andy Warhol) and I've seen worse (I'm gonna catch hell for this, but Bowie was a terrible warhol in Basquiat). Pearce's Warhol was too personable. Confident, almost. Warhol was an awkward, uncomfortable, unsure man. A leech, sure. But not a confident one. Although the makeup people got his skin condition down perfectly.

I did think the woman who played Andys mother was adorable. And it was charming when she opened the cupboard and it was full of tomato soup.

For some reason the woman who played Nico bugged the hell out of me as well.

Overall, I guess this is really a movie for people who aren't already interested in the Factory and it's goings-on, but more for people who are not familiar with the story. If i knew nothing about the characters, I might have enjoyed it more. So there's my two cents. Four, maybe.

It's a movie for people who appreciate good acting, and don't try to bring too much of their own impressions of long-dead people that they've never met before to the table. I agree that it is contrived - the ending fucking sucks shit through a straw, as I said in my drunk review - but your interpretation of the two lead performances is just flat-out wrong. If you had bagged on Hayden Christensen's work as "Bob Dylan", I could understand that; I enjoyed his performance, but I saw how it could grate. But Sienna was completely fragile, she was written and performed as naiive (clearly walking blind into a deathtrap of celebrity and decadence that would eventually unravel her), and the fact that her acting didn't seem like "acting" is the best possible thing that can be said about any performance. As for Andy, Pearce was absolutely awkward and uncomfortable. He shrank in every situation and masked it with shallow observations of the world, and he was clearly presented as a man whose insecurity led him to exploit every inch of every person around him. He had facial tics giving away his every emotion; just because he wore sunglasses and tried to convince himself and everyone else that he had a handle on shit doesn't mean that the movie or the actor was portraying him as such.

You sound like the "Lord of the Rings" fanboys who complained about the way the movies looked just because their mental image of Middle Earth was far different.

schoolofruckus
02-22-2007, 08:48 PM
You sure can Schoolio. You can hate whatever you want. It's a free country.

You bring up very valid and true points about Rush Hour. Yes, Bret Ratner is a piece of shite hack. Yes, the Rush Hour movies direct themselves, with a little help from Jackie Chan of course. I totally agree that Chirs Tucker is a wasted talent. I do find it very strange that he hasn't done any other films lately except for the silly Rush Hour movies. Perhaps Anthony Anderson wouldn't have as good of a career than. I also agree that Rush Hour 2 was basically the same film as the orignal Rush Hour. However, the second one I find a lot more amusing. Where as, I'll rarely sit down and watch the orignal Rush Hour movie in it's entirety I find myself on many occasions watching Rush Hour 2. What can I say? It's a fun action movie, in which i can check my brain at the door and have a good laugh. Everyone has their guilty pleasures and this is one of mine. I like to call it a "Comfort Film". In no way do I think it's profound or groundbreaking, but I do prefer it to the first.

Now, this is way too much time I should be spendning trying to defend or discuss the Rush Hour movies.

What I'm getting at though is that we all have our "Comfort Films". Some people like cheesy romantic comedies, some people love horror movies. I love martial arts films and action movies. What I consider a comfort film is a film that has a formula you really enjoy. Sure you've seen it done a million times over, but it's the comfort of knowing what you're getting into and not having to put to much energy into being entertained. I'm not saying I enjoy all the films that fit into my "Comfort film" category (ex; "Transporter 2") I'm just saying. I hope this makes sense, I'm a little tired now ....

Anyways, if you have the urge to watch some real Jackie Chan films I reccomend any of these: Drunken Master 1 & 2, Dragons Forever, Armour of God 1 & 2, Project A 1 & 2, Police Story 1 - 3, Wheels on Meals, Who am I?, Snake in Eagles Shadow, the Young Master, etc...

Basically a lot of Jackie Chan films & martial arts films are similar in nature (much like many Westerns), but there is something I find very appealing and comforting about them on an entertainment level.

And that's all it comes down to. I didn't have fun with "Rush Hour 2", so it's easy for me to sit here and say that it sucked ass, that Ratner should be the subject of anthrax testing, etc. If I did have fun with it, I wouldn't care that it was lazy.

As for comfort films, I don't think I have a genre or a niche, exactly, but there are plenty of individual movies that I can pop in when I need a buddy. "Made" and "Swingers" are the two easiest picks here for me. "The Last Boy Scout" is another. "Terminator 2" (atom heart, you outta yo got damn mind). Any of Wes Anderson's or PT Anderson's stuff (there's a reason they're so high on my favorites list). Older Farrelly Bros. ("There's Something About Mary" and earlier) and Adam Sandler ("Billy" and "Happy" in particular) stuff, before they got too successful and lost their edge.

But basically, my biggest "Comfort Film" isn't a "film" - it's fucking "South Park". I will watch damn near any "South Park" I can find at any time. And "South Park" the movie. And "BASEketball".

jackstraw94086
02-22-2007, 08:59 PM
you mean EOB, Montana.

It's COB around here too.

mountmccabe
02-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Alphabetical because Netflix is awesome.

[...]
Breathless
Citizen Kane
City of God
Russian Ark
Clueless
Dr. Strangelove

There's one of those that isn't in alphabetical order. But I'll forgive you because omg omg omg. I need to buy this. And read more about Russian history. And watch it over and over.

Also via Gabe I realized that I didn't consider South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut. It also probably would end up in the nebulous "next 25" but it is a movie of some remarkable brilliance.

KungFuJoe
02-22-2007, 09:06 PM
And that's all it comes down to. I didn't have fun with "Rush Hour 2", so it's easy for me to sit here and say that it sucked ass, that Ratner should be the subject of anthrax testing, etc. If I did have fun with it, I wouldn't care that it was lazy.

As for comfort films, I don't think I have a genre or a niche, exactly, but there are plenty of individual movies that I can pop in when I need a buddy. "Made" and "Swingers" are the two easiest picks here for me. "The Last Boy Scout" is another. "Terminator 2" (atom heart, you outta yo got damn mind). Any of Wes Anderson's or PT Anderson's stuff (there's a reason they're so high on my favorites list). Older Farrelly Bros. ("There's Something About Mary" and earlier) and Adam Sandler ("Billy" and "Happy" in particular) stuff, before they got too successful and lost their edge.

But basically, my biggest "Comfort Film" isn't a "film" - it's fucking "South Park". I will watch damn near any "South Park" I can find at any time. And "South Park" the movie. And "BASEketball".

I agree with you 100% on "Made" and "Swingers". I love them both. "Made" is extremely underrated. I'm also in agreement with you on Wes Anderson & PT Anderson. I can watch all of their films at any given time. In fact, if I were to include my all time favorite films among my "comfort" films than they would exceed far beyond the action & martial arts genre. However, that genre is one of my main areas of expertise.

Courtney
02-22-2007, 09:39 PM
There's one of those that isn't in alphabetical order. But I'll forgive you because omg omg omg. I need to buy this. And read more about Russian history. And watch it over and over.

Yes, definitely see Russian Ark, if you have a high patience for slower pacing. I loved it, but it's not for everyone.

And then come talk to me about Russian history, because that would be fun.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-22-2007, 09:44 PM
I also thought i ought to mention that at the Factory's Velvet Underground/Exploding Plastic Inevitable shows it was not uncommon for lou reed (and i believe gerard malanga as well) to move through the crowd and inject people with things.

Lou Reed - influential music maker, keeping it real with Old School Aidz Needlez behaviour. Top man, Lou!

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-22-2007, 09:57 PM
SRSLY? You preferred the Harrison Ford voiceovers and ridiculous ending? I'll need an explanation on my desk by COB Friday. Thanks.

It's SRSLY simple to explain. I was blown away by Blade Runner (big PKD fan) when I first saw it as a 16 year old. I love the noir-ish voiceover, despite the fact that I know both Ford and Ridley Scott hate it.

I bought the Vangelis soundtrack the day it came out in 94, later bought the Director's Cut and was disappointed, I have to say.
The dream sequence seemed "arty" for the sake of it, and okay, the ending is less "Hollywood" in the Director's Cut, but I miss the narration.

It's not because I couldn't understand it without the voiceover (the reason it was included in the first place), but the fact that Harrison Ford was doing it under duress makes it even more hard-bitten and laconic, in my opinion.

First I admit I don't like Bob Dylan, and now this. I'm SO not getting to sleepover at yours am I, Yablo?

;)

full on idle
02-22-2007, 10:00 PM
COB is rediculous. Businesses never CLOSE. End of business is the regionally accepted time when transactions move to the next day's roster.

I don't care what they put in the water out here to make you nuts say COB, it's EOB to me.

full on idle
02-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Also, movies are cool, and I intend to watch one soon.

wmgaretjax
02-22-2007, 10:54 PM
It's SRSLY simple to explain. I was blown away by Blade Runner (big PKD fan) when I first saw it as a 16 year old. I love the noir-ish voiceover, despite the fact that I know both Ford and Ridley Scott hate it.

I bought the Vangelis soundtrack the day it came out in 94, later bought the Director's Cut and was disappointed, I have to say.
The dream sequence seemed "arty" for the sake of it, and okay, the ending is less "Hollywood" in the Director's Cut, but I miss the narration.

It's not because I couldn't understand it without the voiceover (the reason it was included in the first place), but the fact that Harrison Ford was doing it under duress makes it even more hard-bitten and laconic, in my opinion.

First I admit I don't like Bob Dylan, and now this. I'm SO not getting to sleepover at yours am I, Yablo?

;)

You know, I don't blame you for this. Honestly, I think they are both great films. I prefer the director's cut, I feel it's truer to the novel, but I don't think the theatrical release is significantly inferior.

However, Bob Dylan? Shame sir, shame!

jackstraw94086
02-22-2007, 11:13 PM
COB is rediculous. Businesses never CLOSE. End of business is the regionally accepted time when transactions move to the next day's roster.

I don't care what they put in the water out here to make you nuts say COB, it's EOB to me.

Businesses never close? This is certainly a revelation. You've worked for some hardcore businesses. The ones I've always worked for tended do close every day and then open again the next.

Just like in that movie with that guy doing that thing.

tessalasset
02-22-2007, 11:41 PM
i just saw half nelson for the third time tonight at the arclight. afterwards, there was a Q&A with the two writers, a producer, and shareeka epps who plays the main girl dre.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/tessizzle/halfnelson.jpg

i asked them a question. i said "first off, this was definitely my favorite film of last year. especially the scene at the end where dre sells drugs to dan. i think that had a lot to do with the song in the scene, shampoo suicide. i was just wondering how you made the decision to use broken social scene so prominently in your film." i'm not really a movie person so i stuck with a music question. a few people turned around in their seats and said "good question!" to me. i think there were a lot of indie music freaks there. they said that they were just listening to that cd a lot while filming the movie - they'd just play it in the background while they were filming. and they played it a lot while they were editing. they just love bss (the two writers). so they figured what the hell, let's call them up and see if we can use them. they flew up to canada and showed them the film and all the guys loved it and they ended up getting the songs for way cheaper than normal.

the two writers - ryan fleck and anna boden - are both really young. probably mid-late 20s. and ryan is totally cute and reminds me of the singer of brand new. he is totally someone i would be friends with in real life. just way chill and sarcastic. it was a great night.

buddy
02-22-2007, 11:44 PM
just saw the film a couple days ago and loved it. great acting. and bss was nice.

PotVsKtl
02-23-2007, 12:32 AM
COB and EOB aren't the same thing.

bmack86
02-23-2007, 01:23 AM
I just watched Boogie Nights for the first time in 5 years and was amazed at how good it was. The characters are so likeable. Despite their flaws, they all seem like genuine people. And, I loved the camera work. Awesome film

Hannahrain
02-23-2007, 04:25 AM
You sound like the "Lord of the Rings" fanboys who complained about the way the movies looked just because their mental image of Middle Earth was far different.

i thought the movie looked great, which was the first thing i mentioned. i think it probably had more to do with me being so interested already that i got my hopes up a lot for this one, and then was disappointed. oh well. if everybody agreed about everything all the time, there would be no need for things like messageboards.

the fanboy accusation is totally true though. well, fangirl. almost true anyway. i've never made an important life decision based on andy or edie, and i dont have a pink wallpaper cow tattooed on my ass.

Courtney
02-23-2007, 06:18 AM
i asked them a question. i said "first off, this was definitely my favorite film of last year. especially the scene at the end where dre sells drugs to dan. i think that had a lot to do with the song in the scene, shampoo suicide. i was just wondering how you made the decision to use broken social scene so prominently in your film."

Good question!

I still hate the arclight though, for their way too expensive tickets.

Courtney
02-23-2007, 06:24 AM
i thought the movie looked great, which was the first thing i mentioned. i think it probably had more to do with me being so interested already that i got my hopes up a lot for this one, and then was disappointed. oh well.

Hannah, have you seen Ric Burns' documentary on Warhol from last year? I heard from an Andy Warhol scholar that it's much more factually accurate than Factory Girl and also contains a lot of new information that hasn't already been in the public eye, so you might like it better.

Hannahrain
02-23-2007, 06:31 AM
i don't think i've seen any that are as recent as last year. i'll check it out, thanks for the recommendation.

if you're interested, the American Masters documentary they did on him is excellent. (they air it on PBS sometimes). and the movie "i shot andy warhol" is relatively accurate as well.

edit:

i did some googling. turns out they are the same documentary (i didn't know ric burns had anything to do with it). oh well. i was excited for a new one. he did a good job, though. not many directors could have kept it interesting for the entire 4 hours.

Courtney
02-23-2007, 06:44 AM
I've seen I Shot Andy Warhol. It's not bad. I do think that Valerie Solanas' relationship with Warhol is exaggerated, though. If I remember correctly, the film takes their encounters out of context and makes it seem like she is somewhat unique within the Factory environment, whereas in reality Warhol had any number of similarly strange characters coming in and out, people besides the superstar players, who were involved in Warhol's own filmic forays especially the Screen Tests.

I do love that film's soundtrack. Luna, Wilco, et al covering Velvet Underground are awesome.

Hannahrain
02-23-2007, 06:49 AM
i think part of it was that they were trying to show that she felt she was that important in his life. their relationship seems very one-sided to me. but who knows.

i'm always amazed how sucked into the screen tests i can get. they're so simple, but so interesting.

Courtney
02-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Fair enough. It's been a long time since I've seen that film. But now I think I need to rent it again for the soundtrack.

I hate to say it, but despite my supposed art snobbery, I really am not into the Screen Tests. I get bored. I actually also had an art history class once where the professor had us watch the entire 66 minutes of The Life of Juanita Castro, and dude, that was brutal.

Hannahrain
02-23-2007, 06:58 AM
i'm with you on the juanita castro thing. his movies are not anything special. good for a laugh, as long as you can turn them off when you choose. A lot of what i really love about warhol is the stuff that isn't that famous. like the blotted line drawings. many of them are amazing, but people tend to notice the marilyns and the soup cans, and ignore the rest.

downingthief
02-23-2007, 07:14 AM

Agreee on X2 and Spidey 2, disagree on Alien vs/ Aliens, though. Both good, but I agree with John, two different movies. I found Alien much more frightening.

downingthief
02-23-2007, 07:16 AM

Agreed. Director's cut was much better, in my opinion.

jackstraw94086
02-23-2007, 07:23 AM
COB and EOB aren't the same thing.

yeah, you're right, with just about everywhere being the only exception.

schoolofruckus
02-23-2007, 07:51 AM

I don't know dude....I mean, maybe it's just the fact that my career has only taken place in California, but I think it's a lot more reasonable for businesses to close rather than to end. When does business end? Business doesn't end!

i thought the movie looked great, which was the first thing i mentioned. i think it probably had more to do with me being so interested already that i got my hopes up a lot for this one, and then was disappointed. oh well. if everybody agreed about everything all the time, there would be no need for things like messageboards.

I meant that you seemed to have a specific image of what you wanted the characters to be, and the movie didn't fit it exactly because it was a different person's view of that, and that's where the disappointment came in. Anyway, it's not your disappointment or dislike of the movie I object to; it's the implication that the only reason one would like the movie is if one was clueless in regards to the characters. Like any movie based on real people, it's not going to be totally accurate; it's a creative interpretation of their behavior. I guarantee you there are plenty of Warhol/Sedgwick fanboys/girls who will get into it.

I still hate the arclight though, for their way too expensive tickets.

Which theaters do you go to? I mean, clearly the Arclight is more expensive than the Laemmles and the Landmarks of the world. But they also have the absolute best sound/picture presentation, they have a generally great selection of movies, and the high prices keep out the low-class teenagers who spend the whole movie on their Blackberries (well, except for when they played the re-release of "Scarface"). I can't tell you how many times I've sat at the Burbank AMC or the Sherman Oaks Galleria and had some inconsiderate jackass who was only at the movie for social purposes either gets on the phone in the middle of the picture, or talks back to some line because they think it's funny, and each one of those times I've thought "I would pay a lot more than $4 to have this person not here anymore".

Also, the Arclight's only expensive on Friday/Saturday nights and holidays. If you see something early on the weekends or during the week, it's only $11.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Agreed. Director's cut was much better, in my opinion.

That is the hip concensus.
I buck the trend.
Ergo I am not hip!

amyzzz
02-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Holy crap! Lots of movie discussion since last night! Could it be because the Oscars happening this weekend?

Agreee on X2 and Spidey 2, disagree on Alien vs/ Aliens, though. Both good, but I agree with John, two different movies. I found Alien much more frightening.
I found Aliens terrifying when I saw it as a child. The scariest movie I'd seen up to that point. I think I've seen Alien maybe once--I should probably give it another try. Also, if you don't have it already, GET THE ALIENS DIRECTOR'S CUT. It has some nice extra scenes with the original colonists and that little girl's family.

On another note, I finally rented The Departed last night, whoa that is an awesome movie. The extreme violence and profanity were a bit grating on me at first, but once I got settled in and desensitized, I really enjoyed all the plot twists and inevitable all-out shoot-outs.
Leonardo was riveting in it. I found myself staring at all the new facial expressions he acquired for just this role. He really looked SCARED and almost like a man in this movie. Bravo Leo. If he keeps getting interesting roles, he could be the next Johnny Depp.

Is Half Nelson available to rent yet? I'm getting Babel next I think and--what the helll?--Marie Antionette.

And on a final note: it's COB here.

schoolofruckus
02-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Holy crap! Lots of movie discussion since last night! Could it be because the Oscars happening this weekend?

That can't be it. The Oscars have nothing to do with movies.

amyzzz
02-23-2007, 09:18 AM
I probably won't be watching the Oscars this year. I'm not really excited about any of the nominees. There's definitely one major movie completely missing.

mountmccabe
02-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Also, if you don't have it already, GET THE ALIENS DIRECTOR'S CUT. It has some nice extra scenes with the original colonists and that little girl's family.
Whoa.

Yes, definitely see Russian Ark, if you have a high patience for slower pacing. I loved it, but it's not for everyone.

And then come talk to me about Russian history, because that would be fun.
Just for clarity I did see Russian Ark and loved it but I haven't seen it again since it was in theaters. Here it played at some theater I forget the name of in Chandler that is no longer active. They had some good movies there.

And I wanna buy it because it seems like a movie that would do well on repeat viewing. But of the once every six months to a year rather than once a day for a week. It's a little slow and even-keeled for anything like that.

downingthief
02-23-2007, 09:36 AM

I found Aliens terrifying when I saw it as a child. The scariest movie I'd seen up to that point. I think I've seen Alien maybe once--I should probably give it another try. Also, if you don't have it already, GET THE ALIENS DIRECTOR'S CUT. It has some nice extra scenes with the original colonists and that little girl's family.

On another note, I finally rented The Departed last night, whoa that is an awesome movie. The extreme violence and profanity were a bit grating on me at first, but once I got settled in and desensitized, I really enjoyed all the plot twists and inevitable all-out shoot-outs.
Leonardo was riveting in it. I found myself staring at all the new facial expressions he acquired for just this role. He really looked SCARED and almost like a man in this movie. Bravo Leo. If he keeps getting interesting roles, he could be the next Johnny Depp.

Is Half Nelson available to rent yet? I'm getting Babel next I think and--what the helll?--Marie Antionette.

And on a final note: it's COB here.

I watched Marie last week. It was ok. I respect what Sofia was trying to do, but it fell flat for me.

Yablonowitz
02-23-2007, 10:54 AM
That is the hip concensus.
I buck the trend.
Ergo I am not hip!

Uh oh, now I have to counter the hipness stigma somehow.

I liked your point about the voice over adding to the noirish feel of the movie. I objected to it because it gives you too much perspective into Harrison Ford's perception. I prefer it when movies let you interpret the characters on your own. I'm sure the studios wanted the voice overs to reduce the potential confusion that can come from the ambiguity of the replicant's behavior. Personally, I think it's insulting to the audience to assume they can't handle that, which is why it bugged me. I hadn't thought of it as a noir trick, though.

The dream criticism seems offbase to me. For one thing - it's far too brief to be overly arty. Secondly, it's purpose is to make you wonder if Deckard himself is a replicant. The whole point of the movie is to get us to question what makes us human - how much of our lives and experiences are actually shaped by our environment - particularly one that is as dominated by mass control of corporate, consumeristic culture. Are we being programmed by companies just like the replicants?

Also, the getaway ending is just inexcusably unbelievable and out of character with the feel of the rest of the movie.

PotVsKtl
02-23-2007, 11:04 AM
I don't know dude....I mean, maybe it's just the fact that my career has only taken place in California, but I think it's a lot more reasonable for businesses to close rather than to end. When does business end? Business doesn't end!

EOB is really End of Business Day. That's 5, 6, whatever is typical. If you are getting something to someone by EOB, you need to reasonably expect them to be walking out the door with it.

COB is literal, Close of Business. The work gets done before business shuts down for the night, meaning if you're the last motherfucker in the building working, business isn't closed.

On the Road is unfilmable. Gates of Heaven is overrated. Russian Ark is unbearably slow (and I've watched Wavelength twice.) I just got my copy of Mad Cowgirl for tonight:

Even avant-garde, experimental, ultraviolent sex-and-splatter flicks such as "Mad Cowgirl" are obliged to establish their own rules and play by them accordingly. Instead, this indulgently puerile waste of time plows ahead with pointless mayhem masquerading as "art."

Pretty excited.

J~$$$
02-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Has anyone seen "The number 23" yet? I want to know what some of your thoughts were on this movie before I go see it this weekend.

bmack86
02-23-2007, 11:09 AM
I heard from several people who went to our sneak screening that it was the worst piece of crap they've seen so far this year.

downingthief
02-23-2007, 11:22 AM
I heard from several people who went to our sneak screening that it was the worst piece of crap they've seen so far this year.

I have to see it tonight, because my Girl wants to go. I have my doubts...it is directed by one of the worst around, Joel Schumacher. Guy made one good movie, and yet he still manages to get work. He makes things way too sappy, and bubblegum.

schoolofruckus
02-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Which one good one are we talking about from Schumacher?

I actually like "Falling Down" and "Tigerland" quite a bit.

PotVsKtl
02-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Lost Boys.

downingthief
02-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Which one good one are we talking about from Schumacher?

I actually like "Falling Down" and "Tigerland" quite a bit.

I was thinking of Falling Down. He didn't saturate that one.

I enjoyed Lost Boys, except for the Coreys. I wanted them to die.

jackstraw94086
02-23-2007, 11:57 AM
COB is literal, Close of Business. The work gets done before business shuts down for the night, meaning if you're the last motherfucker in the building working, business isn't closed.

sure, or you could go with the practical and common usage.

it means close of the business day, not the office. It doesn't literally mean when the office shuts down. Few, if any, modern offices shut down for the night.

schoolofruckus
02-23-2007, 11:58 AM
I think Schumacher gets a slightly undeserved bad rap. He's made a mountain of tasteless shit in his time, but he's also made a few movies that are good. That's more than many of his contemporaries in the ranks of the studio stooges can say for themselves.

Has anyone here seen "If..."? It's apparently a story about a British prep school undergoing a violent uprising, starring a pre-"Clockwork" Malcolm McDowell. I was just reading about it because it's apparently getting a spring Criterion release. It sounds fucking awesome and I'm absolutely going to be checking it out.

amyzzz
02-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I might go see The Astronaut Farmer this weekend. It's perfect: it got good reviews, it's related to space travel, and it's PG. I can take the kids. Weeeee! My older daughter loves space travel/alien movies.

Courtney
02-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Which theaters do you go to? I mean, clearly the Arclight is more expensive than the Laemmles and the Landmarks of the world. But they also have the absolute best sound/picture presentation, they have a generally great selection of movies, and the high prices keep out the low-class teenagers who spend the whole movie on their Blackberries (well, except for when they played the re-release of "Scarface"). I can't tell you how many times I've sat at the Burbank AMC or the Sherman Oaks Galleria and had some inconsiderate jackass who was only at the movie for social purposes either gets on the phone in the middle of the picture, or talks back to some line because they think it's funny, and each one of those times I've thought "I would pay a lot more than $4 to have this person not here anymore".

Also, the Arclight's only expensive on Friday/Saturday nights and holidays. If you see something early on the weekends or during the week, it's only $11.

This is a good question. I do think the Arclight is worth the $14 if you're seeing a film that merits needing better sound and image. I also think it's worth it if you're going for a Q&A like Tessa did.

However, if I'm seeing a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy with Hugh Grant or Kate Hudson or something, I'd rather just pay $7 to go to a Laemmle theater. But I'm not a true film buff, so it's not like I pay attention to movies the way someone in the industry would.

schoolofruckus
02-23-2007, 12:04 PM
That may be the issue. I never go see run-of-the-mill romantic comedies :)

I should also state that I'm an Arclight member, and I have about 380 membership points saved up; every time you get 200, you get a free movie. My goal is to get it up to 1000 before I cash any in.

Courtney
02-23-2007, 12:07 PM
I feel that way about United's frequent flier miles. It's dangerously addictive once you start gaming for more points.

schoolofruckus
02-23-2007, 12:08 PM
True that.

I want to state for the record that, despite all my Arclight pimping, I am NOT a $cientologist.

Courtney
02-23-2007, 12:08 PM
That's what they all say.

Courtney
02-23-2007, 12:10 PM
I really want to go have brunch at the Scientology Celebrity Center, but I'm afraid they will try to convert me. I hear they have good eggs benedict.

mob roulette
02-23-2007, 12:14 PM
I really want to go have brunch at the Scientology Celebrity Center, but I'm afraid they will try to convert me. I hear they have good eggs benedict.

i had an audit done once. the results of which were "give us more money". i felt totally enlightened. this advice really helped me personally in the long run.

downingthief
02-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I might go see The Astronaut Farmer this weekend. It's perfect: it got good reviews, it's related to space travel, and it's PG. I can take the kids. Weeeee! My older daughter loves space travel/alien movies.

I probably will take my son to see Tarabithia this weekend. If we have time, that is.

SojuGorae
02-23-2007, 12:19 PM
I understand Astronaut Farmer is based on a true story. So did he make it to space?

downingthief
02-23-2007, 12:23 PM
I think Schumacher gets a slightly undeserved bad rap. He's made a mountain of tasteless shit in his time, but he's also made a few movies that are good. That's more than many of his contemporaries in the ranks of the studio stooges can say for themselves.

Has anyone here seen "If..."? It's apparently a story about a British prep school undergoing a violent uprising, starring a pre-"Clockwork" Malcolm McDowell. I was just reading about it because it's apparently getting a spring Criterion release. It sounds fucking awesome and I'm absolutely going to be checking it out.

Eh, I think it is deserved. He has this ability to take a decent idea (Like, Phonebooth, Flatliners, etc) and turn into to a formula driven, cheesy dialogue B movie.
And, he almost single handedly ruined the Batman franchise...thank all that is holy for Mr. Nolan!

jackstraw94086
02-23-2007, 12:40 PM
I understand Astronaut Farmer is based on a true story. So did he make it to space?

Don't you think a farmer successfully(or even unsuccessfully) launching into space would have been newsworthy?

downingthief
02-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Don't you think a farmer successfully(or even unsuccessfully) launching into space would have been newsworthy?

Only if he shaved his head, or was involved in a paternity suit with a dead woman.

schoolofruckus
02-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Eh, I think it is deserved. He has this ability to take a decent idea (Like, Phonebooth, Flatliners, etc) and turn into to a formula driven, cheesy dialogue B movie.
And, he almost single handedly ruined the Batman franchise...thank all that is holy for Mr. Nolan!

It is deserved, but all I was saying is that he's not entirely the Antichrist. Once in a great while he does something good.

Even though this is the movie corner and it's already been stated that the Oscars have nothing to do with movies, let's throw out our Oscar picks:

Picture: Babel
Director: Marty, The Depahted
Actor: Forrest Whitaker, Last King of Scotland
Actress: Helen Mirren, The Queen
Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine
Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
Original Script: Guillermo Arriaga, Babel
Adapted Script: William Monahan, The Depahted
Foreign Film: Pan's Labyrinth
Editing: The Depahted (I don't remember how to spell Theresa's last name)
Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki, Children of Men (if there's a god)
Documentary: An Inconvenient Truth
Animated Film: Happy Feet (I think the environmental thing rides a wave this year)

mountmccabe
02-23-2007, 01:24 PM
The dream criticism seems offbase to me. For one thing - it's far too brief to be overly arty. Secondly, it's purpose is to make you wonder if Deckard himself is a replicant. The whole point of the movie is to get us to question what makes us human - how much of our lives and experiences are actually shaped by our environment - particularly one that is as dominated by mass control of corporate, consumeristic culture. Are we being programmed by companies just like the replicants?

Also, the getaway ending is just inexcusably unbelievable and out of character with the feel of the rest of the movie.

Emphasis added for the win.

Though the other point of the movie is the deicide and related bits.

Also I think it is entirely clearly that Deckard is a replicant in the movie even though in the PKD novel it is cut and dry that the male lead is human.

amyzzz
02-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Clever spoiler colors, John.

mob roulette
02-23-2007, 01:46 PM
scarier still is that i was JUST posting about a similar subject in the dream thread without even knowing what you were talking about over here. spooky. internet is a HIVE.

KungFuJoe
02-24-2007, 08:08 AM
ok, it's Awards weekend. If you're living in L.A. you can't escape it. Today is the IFC independent spirt awards. I usually prefer these to the Academy Awards, however they seem to be selling out a bit as of late too. Well, i still like that they have acknowledge some films that the Academy never would. (both missed the boat on The Fountain though)

Anyways, I finally watched "A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints". I really wanted to see this when it was in theaters last summer, but unfortunately I never got the chance to.

Well, it hit video stores this past week & highly reccomend you all check it out. this is a really remarkable film. At first I wasn't enjoying how disjointed the film was. It was kind of all over the place and I felt they were just trying to be artistic with the editing. As the movie progressed though I felt it ran deeper than this orignal impression. It must have been a tough film to make if it indeed is 100% the true story of the director that made it. The main draw was how strongly he directed all the quality actors in this film. Shia Lebouf is a fantastic young actor on his way to pure stardom. The film is very raw and gritty that it creates a very realistic environment. I particullarly liked how the director set up each character. It seemed to be inspired by earlier Spike Lee joints.

I'm going to end my review here as I'm just waking up and need to grab some coffee. I wanted to let you all know that this was a powerfull film that I'd suggest you go out and rent. I watched it three days ago and I am still thinking about it. Sure, it has it's faults, but its definately a film that resonates with you. Perhaps, it's because it was shot entirely in the town I spent 3 years of my life. either way, it's a good independent film that at least got some acknowledgment for todays award ceremony.

wmgaretjax
02-24-2007, 11:46 AM
you know, I'm not sure the fountain deserves any nominations. I enjoyed the film, but it was incredibly sentimental. Also, I would consider a special effects nomination. There was some amazing stuff, but there was also some terrible green screen keying in the future scenes.

schoolofruckus
02-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Why do you say that, garetjax? I mean, it was absolutely an emotional film, but sentimental? It's about a man trying to save his wife. I felt like it was completely honest about that. And I think it should win any special effects category around. I'd rather watch the work in this film a million times in a row before I sit through another "Pirates of the Caribbean" film.

The IFC awards could have done a lot better, in my opinion. Even if you throw out "The Fountain", they could have had "L' Enfant" or "Inland Empire" or "Brick" or "Manderlay" or "The Proposition" somewhere in the running. I'm glad that "The Lives of Others" won best foreign film, and I hope that "Half Nelson" does some damage because that was the best true independent American film that I saw last year.

schoolofruckus
02-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Okay, nevermind...."Little Miss Sunshine" won all the awards. It's a good movie, but this coronation is a little ridiculous.

I just watched "My Own Private Idaho" for the first time. It was pretty much excellent. I truly like "Good Will Hunting" a lot, but I'm really a big sucker for weird Van Sant; I've fallen in love with "Elephant" and "Last Days". I'm working my way backwards on some of his movies, and I know I need to see "Drugstore Cowboy" badly. River Phoenix and Keanu Reeves are both great in this, and it's a visual marvel. If you're in the mood for something ultra-weird and ultra-gay, this is the ticket.

full on idle
02-24-2007, 10:59 PM
No order, just favorites:

1. The Thing Called Love
2. In America
3. A Streetcar Named Desire
4. Dazed and Confused
5. American Splendor
6. The Lord of the Flies
7. Menace II Society
8. National Lampoon's European Vacation
9. Purple Rain
10. Cinema Paradiso
11. The Sound of Music
12. American History X
13. Life is Beautiful
14. Pretty in Pink
15. And The Band Played On
16. To Kill a Mockingbird
17. Annie Hall
18. American Beauty
19. Syriana
20. Best in Show
21. City of God
22. Boyz in the Hood
23. Being John Malkovich
24. Return to Oz
25. The Doors

full on idle
02-24-2007, 11:05 PM
runners up Stand By Me, Steal This Movie, Altered States and Traffic.

KungFuJoe
02-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Okay, nevermind...."Little Miss Sunshine" won all the awards. It's a good movie, but this coronation is a little ridiculous.

I felt the same way the year "Sideways" was sweeping up all the awards.
I Really hope it doesn't win for best picture tonight. I do admit, that little girl, whose name escapes me now, deserves to be up for an award. She was perfect and if it wasn't for her performance the movie wouldn't have sold as well. I guess you can credit the director for that too.

If it wins best picture though and "Children of Men" doesn't take home at least the Cinematography award I am never watching the oscars again.

SubBass49
02-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Jesus Camp

Session 9

Death in Gaza

jerpar24
02-25-2007, 08:42 PM
THE DEPARTED WITH THE BIG WIN!!! I was in fucking shock when it won. I think it deserved the oscar. So what does everyone else think?

SubBass49
02-26-2007, 04:41 AM
friggin DOPE movie...on my all-time favorite list

wmgaretjax
02-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Why do you say that, garetjax? I mean, it was absolutely an emotional film, but sentimental? It's about a man trying to save his wife. I felt like it was completely honest about that. And I think it should win any special effects category around. I'd rather watch the work in this film a million times in a row before I sit through another "Pirates of the Caribbean" film.

The IFC awards could have done a lot better, in my opinion. Even if you throw out "The Fountain", they could have had "L' Enfant" or "Inland Empire" or "Brick" or "Manderlay" or "The Proposition" somewhere in the running. I'm glad that "The Lives of Others" won best foreign film, and I hope that "Half Nelson" does some damage because that was the best true independent American film that I saw last year.

I agree about Lives of Others. I would have loved to see Inland Empire in the running.

There are a lot of things about the characters in "The Fountain" that didn't function well for me. I didn't buy any of their major action. Because of the lack of chemistry and motivation of Weiss's end, I just didn't believe any of the lengths that Jackman's character went to. So, all of the dramatic arc ended up like it was just trying to appeal to sentiment. It had potential, and I enjoyed the film, but ultimately it fell short for me. The effects were much better than most other films this year, but I was pretty shocked at how poorly some of the chroma key stuff was done.

Anyhow, fuck the oscars. I'm appalled that Children of Men didn't win anything.

schoolofruckus
02-26-2007, 08:09 AM
I don't agree on "The Fountain", but no matter.

There were a decent amount of surprising calls last night, some of which made me happy - "Lives of Others", "The Departed" (my favorite of the 5) winning best picture - even though they crushed my Oscar ballot. If "Babel" would have won it all, I would have been in the money. I was also pissed that "Children of Men" didn't take anything; I knew it wouldn't get screenplay or editing awards, but there's no excuse for it to not get best cinematography. Even on a better-than-average Oscar night, it's impossible to come away without feeling screwed.

KungFuJoe
02-26-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't agree on "The Fountain", but no matter.

There were a decent amount of surprising calls last night, some of which made me happy - "Lives of Others", "The Departed" (my favorite of the 5) winning best picture - even though they crushed my Oscar ballot. If "Babel" would have won it all, I would have been in the money. I was also pissed that "Children of Men" didn't take anything; I knew it wouldn't get screenplay or editing awards, but there's no excuse for it to not get best cinematography. Even on a better-than-average Oscar night, it's impossible to come away without feeling screwed.

The big upset I was truly hoping for, but was ultimately disappointed was for Adriana Barraza to take the Best Supporting Femal Category. I haven't seen Dreamgirls, but man was Adriana amazing! I guess the vote was split though, much like the best song category. I called Melissa Ethridge winning that category because i knew the three nominations would cancel out Dreamgirls.

amyzzz
02-26-2007, 12:08 PM
The big upset I was truly hoping for, but was ultimately disappointed was for Adriana Barraza to take the Best Supporting Femal Category. I haven't seen Dreamgirls, but man was Adriana amazing! I guess the vote was split though, much like the best song category. I called Melissa Ethridge winning that category because i knew the three nominations would cancel out Dreamgirls.
I'm gonna have to say I fucking HATE that Jennifer Hudson girl's voice. Way too much vibrato--she constantly sounded off-key in her performance last night. Yuck. I also did not see Dreamgirls, so I can't judge her acting skills.

dorkfish
02-26-2007, 02:13 PM
1. 12 Angry Men

Then 9 others in no apparent order:

2. In America
3. American History X
4. To Kill a Mockingbird
5. Bamboozled
6. Magnolia
7. Arlington Road
8. All the Real Girls
9. Fierce Creatures
10. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

schoolofruckus
02-26-2007, 02:50 PM
15 more in no apparent order?

amyzzz
02-26-2007, 02:57 PM
4. To Kill a Mockingbird

Fuck. Another old one I couldn't think of.
:pulse :pulse Gregory Peck

Hannahrain
02-26-2007, 03:16 PM
in no particular order.

1. Hedwig and the angry inch
2. Pecker
3. American History X
4. DiG!
5. The Good Girl
6. This is Spinal Tap
7. Blazing Saddles
8. I Shot Andy Warhol
9. Scotland PA
10. The Thief and the Cobbler (recobbled)
11. The Phantom Tollbooth
12. Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass (the one with sammy davis jr. and carol channing)
13. Pulp Fiction
14. Trainspotting
15. Almost Famous
16. Pieces of April
17. The Hudsucker Proxy
18. Detroit Rock City
19. Airplane!
20. Triplets of Belleville
21. The Royal Tenenbaums
22. Edward Scissorhands
23. Basquiat
24. Slums of Beverly Hills
25. Who Framed Roger Rabbit

menikmati
02-26-2007, 04:56 PM
I just ordered Bambi, Alice in Wonderland, Lady and the Tramp, and Apollo 13 on dvd.

Yablonowitz
02-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Post your fucking picture, Menik. Goddamn it.

Yablonowitz
02-26-2007, 05:26 PM
you mean EOB, Montana.

Not to bring this back up, but I've never heard EOB before. It's not just a regional thing either, I don't think. Our corporate office is in Maryland and I've never had someone say/email me "EOB" before.

chunk
02-26-2007, 05:56 PM
no order:

godfather
godfather II
usual suspects
millers crossing
fargo
big lebowski
contact
the positively true adventures of the alleged texas cheerleader murdering mom
broadcast news
the underneath
out of sight
happiness
the celebration
suzhou river
thin blue line
hearts of darkness
babe
pulp fiction
reservoir dogs
syriana
the smartest guys in the room
in the company of men
raising arizona
billy bathgate
sixth sense

that was way harder than i thought. still not happy with my list. i have the feeling i left out something huge.

schoolofruckus
02-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Good shit, chunk. Can you throw on two more to make it an even 25?

full on idle
02-26-2007, 06:04 PM
All the Real Girls made no sense at all.

schoolofruckus
02-26-2007, 06:08 PM
I thought "All the Real Girls" was great. The soundtrack was amazing, the photography was even more amazing (as it is with all of David Gordon Green's movies). I thought it was a great representation of the confusion of young romance.

Yesterday, as a kind of antidote to the Oscars, I watched "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" and "Love Streams". They were both awesome. "McCabe" was the best Altman I've seen thus far. "Love Streams" wasn't quite as good as the other three Cassavetes films I've seen, but it was still wonderful. It was a kick to see him acting in one of his own films, and Gena Rowlands was terrific as always.

full on idle
02-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Nothing happened and the characters were irritating.

BOOM.

Also, The Motorcycle Diaries was good and so was Napolean Dynamite.

schoolofruckus
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
So are Birth of a Nation and Dirty Harry.

dorkfish
02-26-2007, 06:34 PM
I didn't put Fanny and Alexander on my list, did I?

I should have.

Jenniehoo
02-26-2007, 06:49 PM
This won't be pretty, but dammit, it's honest:

In no order -

1. Home for the Holidays
2. What Dreams May Come
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4. Life is Beautiful
5. Labyrinth
6. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
7. The Fountain
8. Airplane!
9. Spaceballs
10. Wet Hot American Summer
11. Smoke Signals
12. Punch Drunk Love
13. adaptation.
14. Contact
15. I Heart Huckabees
16. The Shining
17. Royal Tennenbaums
18. Lost Highway
19. Apocalyse Now
20. Raising Arizona
21. When Harry Met Sally
22. Chasing Amy
23. The Breakfast Club
24. Me You and Everyone We Know
25. Office Space

I wanted to change mine.

blakely
02-26-2007, 06:58 PM
1.From Justin to Kelly
2.Ballistic: Ecks Vs. Sever
3.XXX: State of the Union
4.Showgirls
5.Free Willy 2
6.Man of the House (JTT film)
7.Gigli
8.Glitter
9.Stop or My Mom Will Shoot
10.3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain
11.Valley Girl
12.Speed 3: Cruise Control
13.Catwoman
14.You Got Served
15.Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector
16.Material Girls
17.Maid in Manhattan
18.Reindeer games
19.Baby Geniuses
20.Grease 2
21.Rollerball
22.House of a Thousand Corpses
23.Anacondas: The hunt for the Blood Orchid
24.Dungeons & Dragons
25.Godzilla

bmack86
02-26-2007, 07:08 PM
I'll work on order later, and probably switch out some movies as I watch a few that I recently purchased, but for right now.
1.The Grand Illusion
2.Godfather
3.Godfather II
4.Winter Light
5.The Seventh Seal
6.Taxi Driver
7.Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
8.The Big Lebowski
9.Dr. Strangelove
10.City of God
11.M
12.Old Boy
13.Spinal Tap
14.Se7en
15.Lost in Translation
16.Brazil
17.Through a Glass Darkly
18.Goodfellas
19.The Departed
20.Pulp Fiction
21.Amacord
22.Royal Tenenbaums
23.Fight Club
24.Yojimbo
25.Apocalypse Now

bmack86
02-26-2007, 07:09 PM
and, damn, i really want to see Fanny and Alexander. I bought The Great Illusion tonight at Amoeba. They had it used, and that's too cool to pass up.

Jenniehoo
02-26-2007, 07:09 PM
1.From Justin to Kelly
4.Showgirls
5.Free Willy 2
7.Gigli
8.Glitter
11.Valley Girl
13.Catwoman
14.You Got Served
16.Material Girls
17.Maid in Manhattan
18.Reindeer games
19.Baby Geniuses
20.Grease 2
21.Rollerball
24.Dungeons & Dragons
25.Godzilla

It's subtle, but painful.

full on idle
02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
oh fuck how did I forget about the royal tenenbaums and adaptation? I missed so many. I was just reaching back trying to remember movies I've chosen to watch multiple times.

bmack86
02-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Yeah, i just went thru my DVD rack. I'm sure I'm missing movies that I really loved that I just haven't bought.

full on idle
02-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Also Office Space
Also Uncle Buck

damn.

chunk
02-26-2007, 07:24 PM
no charlie kaufman on my list either. ouch. i could take out almost any two to insert malkovich and eternal sunshine.

full on idle
02-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Eternal Sunshine was just average for me. I think I had expectations that were too high, plus there's the thing about how I don't like Elijah Wood or Kirsten Dunst very much. That was Jim Carrey's best dramatic role IMHO

Mr.Nipples
02-26-2007, 07:32 PM
1.GOJIRA(1954)
2.VIDEODROME
3.STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE
4.MAN BITES DOG
5.ALIEN
6.BRAZIL
7.STRAW DOGS
8.THRONE OF BLOOD
9.THE THING(1982)
10.DAWN OF THE DEAD(1978)
11.DIRTY HARRY
12.THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
13.OFFICE SPACE
14.SEVEN SAMURAI
15.MEN BEHIND THE SUN
16.MUNICH
17.DiG!
18.SPACEBALLS
19.HAPPINESS
20.ALIENS
21.HEAVYWEIGHTS
22.THE GOOD.THE BAD. AND THE UGLY
23.ZODIAC
24.TAXI DRIVER
25.OLDBOY

this last 15 or so entries are always revolving around

schoolofruckus
02-26-2007, 07:33 PM
23.ZODIAC

Do tell!

full on idle
thumbs down Munich

wmgaretjax
1.GOJIRA(1954)
2.VIDEODROME
3.STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE
4.MAN BITES DOG
5.ALIEN
6.BRAZIL
7.STRAW DOGS
8.THRONE OF BLOOD
9.THE THING(1982)
10.DAWN OF THE DEAD(1978)
11.DIRTY HARRY
12.THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
13.OFFICE SPACE
14.SEVEN SAMURAI
15.MEN BEHIND THE SUN
16.MUNICH
17.DiG!
18.SPACEBALLS
19.HAPPINESS
20.ALIENS
21.HEAVYWEIGHTS
22.THE GOOD.THE BAD. AND THE UGLY
23.ZODIAC
24.TAXI DRIVER
25.OLDBOY

this last 15 or so entries are always revolving around

good list. nice ballance of fun and art.

RATMan
02-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Top 16:

- Bedknobs And Broomsticks
- The Buddy Holly Story
- Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
- Dirty Harry
- Field Of Dreams
- Fight Club
- Hang 'Em High
- It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
- Lost In Translation
- Night Of The Living Dead
- Open Water
- The Road Warrior
- Se7en
- Team America: World Police
- THX 1138

chunk
02-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Eternal Sunshine was just average for me. I think I had expectations that were too high, plus there's the thing about how I don't like Elijah Wood or Kirsten Dunst very much. That was Jim Carrey's best dramatic role IMHO

having no clue whatsoever as to what its about helps a great deal. main reason why i watch as few commercials and read as few reviews as possible.

i remember how my head was absolutely swimming in delicious confusion half an hour in. so much fun.

Mr.Nipples
02-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Do tell!

i saw it a few weeks ago actually at a focus screening in san francisco. if youve read the robert graysmith book, you wont be dissappointed. its a great adaptation of the book and i loved the hell out of the film. it makes you think if the zodiac is still alive, hes most likely laughing his ass off.

bmack86
02-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Zodiac killer is fascinating. That guys is demented, but so damn interesting.

Ricker420
02-26-2007, 07:50 PM
1.) Goodfellas
2.) The Departed
3.) Pulp Fiction
4.) Reservoir Dogs
5.) Casino
6.) Sin City
7.) Fight Club
8.) Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi
9.) City Of God
10.)The Big Labowski
11.)Amercian Beauty
12.) Shawshank Redemption
13.)Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels
14.)The Edge
15.)Rounders
16.)Crash
17.)The Usual Suspects
18.)Dazed & Confused
19.)Schindler's List
20.)Forest Gump
21.)Jackie Brown
22.)Fear & Loathing
23.)Apocalypse Now
24.)Amercian Psycho
25.)Requiem For A Dream
26.)Clockwork Orange
27.)Trainspotting
28.)Braveheart
29.)Waking Life
30.)Office Space

i can still keep goin.

I could go on for days

blakely
02-26-2007, 07:51 PM
nobody wants to start an enthusiastic conversation about my list?!?

1.From Justin to Kelly
4.Showgirls
5.Free Willy 2
7.Gigli
8.Glitter
11.Valley Girl
13.Catwoman
14.You Got Served
16.Material Girls
17.Maid in Manhattan
18.Reindeer games
19.Baby Geniuses
20.Grease 2
21.Rollerball
24.Dungeons & Dragons
25.Godzilla

chunk
02-26-2007, 07:56 PM
whats your favorite song from grease 2?

full on idle
02-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Let's bowl.

chunk
02-26-2007, 08:06 PM
thats the only one anybody can remember. and the motorcycle one, but nobody can remember any of the lyrics.

bmack86
02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I've seen 3 of those movies:Godzilla (the original, so probably not the one you're referencing), Baby Geniuses and Free Willy 2. I don't remember that Free Willy at all, but I will never forget how bad Baby Geniuses was.

full on idle
02-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Let's bowl let's bowl let's rock and roll, come on everybody something something something something

chunk
02-26-2007, 08:12 PM
cmon cmon, lets get the show on the road

? maybe

full on idle
02-26-2007, 08:13 PM
that's totally it.

blakely
02-26-2007, 08:17 PM
i have no idea how it goes, ive never even seen it....

Mr.Nipples
02-26-2007, 08:19 PM
you forgot boondock saints blakely

mountmccabe
02-26-2007, 08:21 PM
in no particular order.

2. Pecker
4. DiG!
9. Scotland PA
23. Basquiat

I think I forgot to consider any of these. I'm not sure they'd make it but damn they're good stuff.

12. Punch Drunk Love

I think I totes forgot PDL which really should make my list. Am I allowed to edit?

Also I wouldn't call that a happy movie.

blakely
02-26-2007, 08:41 PM
you forgot boondock saints blakely

aaaahhhhhh?!? word?!? i actually do like that movie...... its not exactly oscar gold, but ill be damned if i dont love me a good bagpiping....

schoolofruckus
02-26-2007, 10:21 PM
1.) Goodfellas
2.) The Departed
3.) Pulp Fiction
4.) Reservoir Dogs
5.) Casino
6.) Sin City
7.) Fight Club
8.) Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi
9.) City Of God
10.)Pan's Labyrinth
11.)Amercian Beauty
12.) Waking Life
13.)Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels
14.)The Edge
15.)Rounders
16.)Crash
17.)The Usual Suspects
18.)Dazed & Confused
19.)Schindler's List
20.)Forest Gump

I could go on for days

Please do. Go on for as many days as possible till you get to an exact list of 25.

You too, RATMan. And Brad. Brad, only astronauts refuse to give me a list that's 25 deep.

John, you may of course edit your list. Just make sure it's drawn to my attention so I can be sure to log the new and improved version.

breakjaw
02-27-2007, 04:44 AM
1.The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
2.The Empire Strikes Back
3.The Godfather 2
4.The Great Escape
5.Pulp Fiction
6.Raiders of the Lost Ark
7.Boogie Nights
8.Young Frankenstein
9.Vertigo
10.Close Encounters of the Third Kind
11.Hannah and Her Sisters
12.Brazil
13.The Manchurian Candidate(the one w/Laurence Harvey and Sinatra)
14.One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
15.Lost In America
16.The Elephant Man
17.Heaven Can Wait
18.Edward Scissorhands
19.It's a Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad World (nice call,RATMan,I would've forgotten and left this off!)
20.The Two Towers
21.Shaun of the Dead
22.Mystery Train
23.Unbreakable
24.Fast Times at Ridgemont High
25.Waiting For Guffman/Best In Show coinflip...Tails!Best In Show!

EDIT
Damn you,damn you all for making me rank these,it was hard enough picking just 25,having to rank them and choose between is like Sophie's
Choice(another fine film I had to leave off)

amyzzz
02-27-2007, 09:06 AM
2. What Dreams May Come
Is that the movie with Robin Williams? I think that's the worst movie ever made.

I watched Babel last night, and it was a really hard movie to watch. I get freaked out when children are in danger in movies. It was well-done, very cringe-worthy, but I'm still not sure if I liked it.

jackstraw94086
02-27-2007, 09:10 AM
2. What Dreams May Come.

I remember Whoppi Goldberg hosting the oscars the year that was out and she made a very distasteful joke about how she was instructed to pronounce that title very carefully. Whoppi. I cringed.

schoolofruckus
02-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Worst movie ever made? Amy, why do you think that? I liked it a lot when Jennie made me watch it, and I'm not exactly a huge Robin Williams fan, so I thought that meant something. I loved the idea of heaven/hell being - for lack of a better term - a state of mind, as that's pretty consistent with my own spiritual leanings.

jackstraw94086
02-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Worst movie ever made? Amy, why do you think that? I liked it a lot when Jennie made me watch it, and I'm not exactly a huge Robin Williams fan, so I thought that meant something. I loved the idea of heaven/hell being - for lack of a better term - a state of mind, as that's pretty consistent with my own spiritual leanings.

This is one those films that's better left underanalyzed, gabe. Amy's right, it's just over-sentimental drivel. I'll bet if you saw it by yourself you'd agree. It was poorly acted. The whole cuba gooding jr as his son bit was extremely irritating.

amyzzz
02-27-2007, 09:55 AM

It didn't make any sense, had no tension, no likable characters, Robin was REALLY annoying in it, and I couldn't get through the whole movie.

schoolofruckus
02-27-2007, 10:10 AM
I agree that it's very sentimental, and maybe a tad too much, but I don't care. Sentimentality doesn't submarine a movie for me if I feel like it's in service of an idea that engages me. The acting was fine - not great, not terrible, just what it needed to be. It's not an actor's movie, so I don't need them to blow me away. And of course Robin Williams is irritating. He's always, always, always irritating. If you voluntarily watch a Robin Williams movie, you are not allowed to complain about him being irritating any more than you're allowed to complain about Denzel Washington being "too black" in a movie.

I thought it made sense.

Kasabian
02-27-2007, 10:17 AM
It didn't make any sense, had no tension, no likable characters, Robin was REALLY annoying in it, and I couldn't get through the whole movie.

I totally agree, however I would not consider the worst movie I've ever seen. That title belongs to Pay it Forward.

By the way - hi everybody, I'm Kelly. I realize this thread is several pages long, but I'm fairly new to the board, and I love movies. Hope you dont mind me jumping in!

KungFuJoe
02-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Had to edit this list. Here is the revised & what I'll leave to be final right now.

Brazil
Rules of the Game
City of God
Pulp Fiction
Fallen Angels
Irma Vep
Barton Fink
Amores Perros
Hana-Bi (Fireworks)
Bottle Rocket
Requiem for a Dream
Delicattesen
Blade Runner
The Big Blue
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Princess Mononoke
Swingers
HERO (Jet li, not Dustin Hoffman)
Trainspotting
Boogie Nights
HEAT
Ed Wood
Buffalo '66
I Heart Huckabees
Kung Fu Hustle

I'd like to give a shout out to
The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Shaolin Soccer, God of Cookery, The Graduate, Children of Men, Hard Boiled, Bullet in the Head, Straw Dogs, Zoolander, Ghost World, Ghost Dog, La Femme Nikita, Leon, etc...

bmack86
02-27-2007, 10:22 AM
I like anybody who likes Brazil

schoolofruckus
02-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Welcome, Kelly. Give us your Top 25 movies, and they don't have to be ranked. I'm compiling a survey in which we determine the board's picks for best movies of all time.

You too, Jack. So far, I know that you like "MASH" and "The Science of Sleep", and that's about it.

jackstraw94086
02-27-2007, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't put science of sleep in my top 25. MASH yes.

I'll think on it.

Kasabian
02-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Fun fun! I'll get on that - I'm at work so it might take a few... :)

KungFuJoe
02-27-2007, 10:27 AM
I like anybody who likes Brazil

Yes. BRAZIL is amazing! Terry Gilliams final cut of it anyways.

I hate making these list because I looke back at what I first jotted down and realized I missed some major ones, such as "Blade Runner", "Shaolin Soccer", etc...

oh well ... it's too hard to sort sometimes.

schoolofruckus
02-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Joe, the whole point of me initiating this contest - other than to follow mob's directions - is to make people sweat about what to include and what to exclude. I'm glad to see that you are suffering over this.

chunk
02-27-2007, 10:36 AM
are you doing anything with this? are there rules? because i want to edit mine. i wont if youre putting all the original entries on a spreadsheet or whatever.

schoolofruckus
02-27-2007, 10:43 AM
That's exactly what I'm doing, but you can still edit. Just make sure you let me know when you have edited so I can go back and get the correct list and enter that into my spreadsheet.

chunk
02-27-2007, 10:51 AM
does ranking or not ranking affect any score in any type of way?

jackstraw94086
02-27-2007, 10:51 AM
This list is far from stable, it's just that I dont' have much time to ponder it at the moment. This is more or less just a spurting out of movies that come to mind that I'd deinitely sit and watch if there were on TV and I had nothing to do. There's far more quality films that I'd probably put on there, but just can't recall this very moment.

MASH
Point Break
Big Lebowksi
Miller's Crossing
Dr. Strangelove
Barton Fink
Animal House
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Usual Suspects
Monty Python's Quest or the Holy Grail
Silence of the Lambs
The Godfather
The Godfather II
Braveheart
Hamlet (1994)
Kingpin
Goodfellas
House of Flying Daggers
War of the Roses
Apocalypse Now (redux)
Dune (1984)
The Shawshank Redemption
This is Spinal Tap
Stand By Me
Boyz In tha Hood

Honorable Mention (old school):
Just One of the Guys
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
The Last starfighter
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Midnight Madness

Honorable Mention (Horror):
The Thing
Return of the Living Dead 2

Honorable Mention (foreign):
Kung Fu Hustle
Cinema Paradiso
2LDK

EDIT: chucked Donnie Darko in favor of apocalypse now

amyzzz
02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
I agree that it's very sentimental, and maybe a tad too much, but I don't care. Sentimentality doesn't submarine a movie for me if I feel like it's in service of an idea that engages me. The acting was fine - not great, not terrible, just what it needed to be. It's not an actor's movie, so I don't need them to blow me away. And of course Robin Williams is irritating. He's always, always, always irritating. If you voluntarily watch a Robin Williams movie, you are not allowed to complain about him being irritating any more than you're allowed to complain about Denzel Washington being "too black" in a movie.

I thought it made sense.
I didn't say irritating. I said annoying. And I like Robin Williams in many, many movies. Just not in this one. The movie is unwatchable.

KungFuJoe
02-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Joe, the whole point of me initiating this contest - other than to follow mob's directions - is to make people sweat about what to include and what to exclude. I'm glad to see that you are suffering over this.

hahaha. thanks! I'm actually going to go edit my list right now and not include numbers. There are too many i left off that should be there.

In reply to Jackstraw's list, I've been thinking about 2LDK a lot during the past couple of days and wondering why it's not in my collection. I only rented that movie once and thought it was awesome! good mention. as well as Just One of the Guys (classic) & Midnight Madness, hahaha, I used to love that flick.

downingthief
02-27-2007, 11:03 AM
That's exactly what I'm doing, but you can still edit. Just make sure you let me know when you have edited so I can go back and get the correct list and enter that into my spreadsheet.

I might have to edit...fighting myself over "The Mission", and "12 Monkeys". Decisions, decisions...

schoolofruckus
02-27-2007, 11:21 AM
does ranking or not ranking affect any score in any type of way?

Not really. I'm going to assemble the list based on how many times each movie was on each list, not according to how it was placed. If I have two movies that come up with the same scores, I may use the average placement on each person's list as a tiebreaker. A number of us (including me) declined to put numbers next to our entries; I mean, I know I'm instigating this list-o-mania in the first place, but I still didn't feel right putting numbers next to them.

Kasabian
02-27-2007, 11:24 AM
alright here i go...

1. Notorious
2. Chinatown
3. Breaking the Waves
4. Cool Hand Luke
5. North by Northwest
6. In the Still of the Night
7. Dr. Strangelove
8. In Cold Blood
9. 8 1/2
10. La Dolce Vita
11. Coming to America
12. Trading Places
13. Amelie
14. The 400 Blows
15. The Chorus
16. Billy Elliot
17. Strangers on a Train
18. Bridget Jones' Diary
19. Europa Europa
20. Wings of Desire
21. Far Away, So Close
22. Life is Beautiful
23. The Wicker Man (1973 version)
24. The Princess and the Warrier
25. Zoolander

Phew that was difficult - I'm sure I'll want to change this as soon as I post it. None are in order, except number 1. I LOVE Notorious.

schoolofruckus
02-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Kingpin

Shit yeah.

I didn't say irritating. I said annoying.

I say what's the difference? (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/annoying)

breakjaw
02-27-2007, 11:28 AM
I edited mine.I thought I liked Aladdin because the Laserdisc cover is so cool,but not at the expense of Mystery Train!

amyzzz
02-27-2007, 11:34 AM
I say what's the difference? (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/annoying)
It's a different word. That's all. I don't like being paraphrased with different words out of a thesaurus. Just quote me.

amyzzz
02-27-2007, 11:35 AM
I edited mine.I thought I liked Aladdin because the Laserdisc cover is so cool,but not at the expense of Mystery Train!
Are we allowed to edit? I can edit mine forever.

wmgaretjax
02-27-2007, 11:38 AM
alright here i go...

1. Notorious
2. Chinatown
3. Breaking the Waves
4. Cool Hand Luke
5. North by Northwest
6. In the Still of the Night
7. Dr. Strangelove
8. In Cold Blood
9. 8 1/2
10. La Dolce Vita
11. Coming to America
12. Trading Places
13. Amelie
14. The 400 Blows
15. The Chorus
16. Billy Elliot
17. Strangers on a Train
18. Bridget Jones' Diary
19. Europa Europa
20. Wings of Desire
21. Far Away, So Close
22. Life is Beautiful
23. The Wicker Man (1973 version)
24. The Princess and the Warrier
25. Zoolander

Phew that was difficult - I'm sure I'll want to change this as soon as I post it. None are in order, except number 1. I LOVE Notorious.

NICE. Breaking the Waves, Pricess and the Warrior, Strangers on a Train, Wings of Desire, 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita AND Chinatown. Good list.

All That I Am
02-27-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure if i can be included, but here's my top 25 as they come to mind
Pulp Fiction
Apocalypse Now
Blue Velvet
Goodfellas
Wings of Desire
Trainspotting
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
The Godfather 2
The Godfather
American Beauty
Talk Radio
Ghost in the shell
Ghost in the shell 2 - innocence
SE7EN
The Sixth Sense
Reservoir Dogs
The Jerk
Tombstone
Raising Arizona
Dr Strangelove or how i learned......
Aliens
Star wars Return of the Jedi
Star wars Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars A new Hope

Hannahrain
02-27-2007, 11:42 AM
The Jerk

welcome back, lucille.

kimery08
02-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Honorable Mention (old school):
Just One of the Guys

i love this.

All That I Am
02-27-2007, 11:43 AM
welcome back, lucille.
YAY!

I just looked at other peoples list and i realized I left off Life is Beautiful and now it just occured to me Amelie

schoolofruckus
02-27-2007, 12:01 PM
It's a different word. That's all. I don't like being paraphrased with different words out of a thesaurus. Just quote me.

It's the same word. Completely interchangeable. Do you feel the need to chase your own tail over a simple semantics debate?

Are we allowed to edit? I can edit mine forever.

schoolofruckus
02-27-2007, 12:02 PM
All That I Am, why would you not be able to be included?

Kasabian
02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
NICE. Breaking the Waves, Pricess and the Warrior, Strangers on a Train, Wings of Desire, 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita AND Chinatown. Good list.

chrislasf
02-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Damn John John. Triplets of Bellville. Fuckin brilliant, I didnt even think of it.

Hannahrain
02-27-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm an indecisive jerk. new list.

2. Pecker
3. American History X
4. DiG!
5. The Good Girl
6. This is Spinal Tap
7. Blazing Saddles
8. I Shot Andy Warhol
9. Run Lola Run
10. The Thief and the Cobbler (recobbled)
11. The Phantom Tollbooth
12. Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass (the one with sammy davis jr. and carol channing)
13. Pulp Fiction
14. Trainspotting
15. Almost Famous
16. Pieces of April
17. The Hudsucker Proxy
18. Detroit Rock City
19. Airplane!
21. The Royal Tenenbaums
22. Edward Scissorhands
23. Basquiat
24. Heathers

I had to work in Heathers and Run Lola Run.
(still not ranked in any way)

Kasabian
02-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Trainspotting and Heathers! Brilliant. I forgot about those. Sheesh...Heathers...how could I leave that out!

I never saw Triplets of Belleville but it keeps popping up...I take it I need to see this movie.

J~$$$
02-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Well, fuck me gently with a chainsaw. Do I look like Mother Theresa?

Hannahrain
02-27-2007, 12:48 PM
that's not mineral water you're drinking, is it?

amyzzz
02-27-2007, 01:03 PM
It's the same word. Completely interchangeable. Do you feel the need to chase your own tail over a simple semantics debate?
I think "annoying" is a much stronger word than "irritating." I was confused that you changed the word I used, so I felt I had to voice my opinion on that. And any English teacher will tell you to be very careful when you use a Thesaurus.

What's the deadline for our final edit?

downingthief
02-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Well, fuck me gently with a chainsaw. Do I look like Mother Theresa?

CLASSIC line. Heathers easily made my top 25.

schoolofruckus
02-27-2007, 01:11 PM
TBD. When I feel like I have enough entries, I will then say "we have a week left!" or something along those lines. I have quite a few right now - more than I expected, in truth - but I want more.

I also want Brad and RATMan and Ricker420 to stop being astronauts and flesh their damn lists out to 25.

bumper31
02-27-2007, 01:14 PM
From the top...

1. The Hunt for Red October
2. Pulp Fiction
3. The Thing
4. LOTR: Two Towers
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
6. The Usual Suspects
7. Aliens
8. Alien
9. T2
10. Star Wars
11. Big Trouble in Little China
12. Superman the Movie
13. The Football Factory
14. True Romance
15. Apocalypse Now (Redux)
16. Blade runner
17. Firefox
18. The Fifth Element
19. Escape from New York
20. Sin City
21. From Dusk til Dawn
22. Fargo
23. 12 Monkeys
24. Dune
25. Unbreakable

Gosh I'm such a sheep.........11 down No particular order

That was hard it's easier for me to list my top ten Directors:

1. Coen Bros
2. John Carpenter
3. John Mctiernan
4. Ridley Scott
5. Tony Scott
6. Quentin
7. Clint
8. Walter Hill
9. Spielberg
10. Lucas

mob roulette
02-27-2007, 01:35 PM
jesus this was hard. all time? last twenty five would have been easier maybe. i feel like i left off a lot of favorites-trainspotting, blue velvet, pulp fiction, punch drunk love, city of god, ghost world, lost in translation, eternal sunshine, etc. but rules are rules. so anyway:

1. the godfather I & II
2. the shawshank redemption
3. goodfellas
4. chinatown
5. the bicycle thief
6. the wizard of oz
7. raging bull
8. vertigo
9. the good, the bad, and the ugly
10. citizen kane
11. the last picture show
12. taxi driver
13. sunset boulevard
14. on the waterfront
15. north by northwest
16. fargo
17. cool hand luke
18. la strada
19. bonnie and clyde
20. breaking the waves
21. magnolia
22. central station
23. the bridge on the river kwai
24. the graduate
25. dog day afternoon

hawkingvsreeve
02-27-2007, 01:40 PM

I was in a stage production of that.

Hannahrain
02-27-2007, 01:40 PM
who were you?

Kasabian
02-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Great list! Central Station, Sunset Boulevard, Bridge on the River Kwai....awesome awesome...I love reading other people's lists!

mob roulette
02-27-2007, 01:45 PM
also the motorcycle song from grease 2 is "cool rider", for what it's worth. i want a c-o-o-l r-i-d-e-r. i remember cause i thought michelle pfeiffer was so f'ing hot. what happen to that guy though? maxwell caulfield or something? HE certainly set the world on fire.

adamnikyo
02-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Uncle Buck X 25

hawkingvsreeve
02-27-2007, 01:51 PM
who were you?

I played drums for The Angry Inch. My band at the time was the band for the show. It was a lot of fun.

bumper31
02-27-2007, 01:54 PM
also the motorcycle song from grease 2 is "cool rider", for what it's worth. i want a c-o-o-l r-i-d-e-r. i remember cause i thought michelle pfeiffer was so f'ing hot. what happen to that guy though? maxwell caulfield or something? HE certainly set the world on fire.

Your not getting any cooler :D Next minute you'll be giving us your fav song from Dirty Dancing.......

As long as it doesn't go any further my fav is obviously she's like the wind

mob roulette
02-27-2007, 02:07 PM
As long as it doesn't go any further my fav is obviously she's like the wind

she's like the wind is future am gold. love it. don't be ashamed of your beautiful bleeding heart. celebrate it child. OWN it. you are free.

love is strange is obviously the best song on the soundtrack though. for what it's worth.

chrislasf
02-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Alright boys and girls - I just spoke to Mr. School Of Ruckus himself and there is an amendment to this little game. You HAVE to have 25 films and they HAVE to be ranked if you want to be a part of the final results. If you listed 25 but didnt number them, then they will be ranked in the order in which they appear, unless otherwise stated. No once cares about your unranked list of 14. There is a method to this madness - the final results will be decided on a weighted point system. If you dont want to do 25 or you dont feel like ranking them, by all means still feel free to go ahead and paste your retarded list. Then go eat a dick.

Word is bond.

amyzzz
02-27-2007, 02:10 PM
What about "Reproduction?" I think the guy's name was Matthew Caulfield, and man, did his solo suck. It may have been called "Charade." Also, Michelle Pfeiffer has that other song during the talent contest that she made up on the spot: "Turn back, wa-oh, turn back, the hands of time, we'll turn back!"
And don't forget the Luau song and the song that one sleazy guy sang to the girl in the bomb shelter "Let's Do It" or something to that effect. I love that movie, but I actually don't own the soundtrack (or DVD). Michelle Pfeiffer is amazingly gorgeous in that movie. I think Pfeiffer was a beauty contest queen turned actress (as was Kim Basinger).

Hannahrain
02-27-2007, 02:21 PM
mob's right. it was maxwell.

amyzzz
02-27-2007, 02:22 PM
mob's right. it was maxwell.
That's such a horrible name, I thought it couldn't be right. I don't have Google skills. Sorry.

mob roulette
02-27-2007, 02:23 PM
What about "Reproduction?"

oh. my. god.

well they change their tune
when you got em in the backseat
with their heart beating fast
"they make it sound like a track meet, ew, gross"
then all they can do is say,
no no no no no no no

reproduction REPRODUCTION!
make my stamen go berserk
reproduction REPRODUCTION!
let your pollen do its work

girl, screechy: "i bet they don't even know what a pistil is"
boy, baritone: "i got youy pistil right here baby"
chorus "WHERE DOES THE POLLEN GO?"

AWESOME.

i think i just died a little inside for remembering that though.

Kasabian
02-27-2007, 02:23 PM
YES!! "Lets do it for our country..."

And dont knock Matthew Caulfield...or Maxwell..or whatever...he went on to play major characters in cinema like Rex Manning in Empire Records! oooo...

Hannahrain
02-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Rex Manning in Empire Records! oooo...

say no more, mon amour

breakjaw
02-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Just from looking at the other lists I'm gonna have to get "Breaking The Waves" and "Triplets of Belleville " soon and figure out how to get 2 more movies on my list somehow(Wings Of Desire" has to be on there,as does "Shawshank Redemption" and I almost put "Kingpin" on mine as I was looking at my DVD's)THIS IS HARD!

amyzzz
02-27-2007, 02:47 PM
I updated mine with a couple changes. Do we REALLY have to rank them in order of preference? I'm not sure if Heavenly Creatures or The Fountain should top my list. And I'm still trying to decide if I should kick Philadelphia to the curb for Monty Python & the Holy Grail. That seems wrong.

chrislasf
02-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Do we REALLY have to rank them in order of preference?

Yes.

bumper31
02-27-2007, 03:00 PM
And I'm still trying to decide if I should kick Philadelphia to the curb for Monty Python & the Holy Grail. That seems wrong.

The knights that say nee trump Aids social awareness and TH's blatant oscar grab any day

mountmccabe
02-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Hamlet (1994)

What Hamlet is this?

It was visually very interesting. That's why I liked it. I didn't love it, though.

Damn John John. Triplets of Bellville. Fuckin brilliant, I didnt even think of it.
It was on Hannah's list; I didn't think of it either. Delightful movie, though. Def worth seeing, Breakjaw.

TBD. When I feel like I have enough entries, I will then say "we have a week left!" or something along those lines. I have quite a few right now - more than I expected, in truth - but I want more.
What GA number are we at, would you say?

bmack86
02-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Isn't that the Mel Gibson Hamlet? or am I wrong?
The Lawrence Olivier one is fantastic.

schoolofruckus
02-27-2007, 04:14 PM
It's the Branagh "Hamlet". I think. Actually, that was 1996, so I have no idea what the 1994 one was. Gibson/Zeffirelli was in 1990.

mountmccabe
02-27-2007, 04:14 PM
No, Zeffirelli/Gibson was 1990. And it was pretty bad.

Branagh's was 1996.

And the only ones I can find between them were made for TV so wtf.

EDIT: Cross-post with Gabe.

schoolofruckus
02-27-2007, 04:15 PM
John, what is a GA number?

jackstraw94086
02-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Isn't that the Mel Gibson Hamlet? or am I wrong?
The Lawrence Olivier one is fantastic.

it is Mel's. I fucked up, it's 1990.
I chose that one because I'm a helena bonham carter and Ian Holm fan. I also think Mel's performance was sufficient.

I hated Branagh's and the ethan hawke's

Now that I think about it, it's definitely not one of my top 25, but just a flick that came to mind as something I'd probably sit and watch if it were on (which was my qualification for the quick list I was drawing). It's my favorite shakespeare story so i figured I had to put one of them on the list.

I'll scratch it.

mountmccabe
02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
John, what is a GA number?
A selection of posts from tickets selling quick!! info.. (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1707) in the Tickets forum:

what my bud told me the ga sets are in sets of 300 to 500. im thinking closer to 500 so if its at 61 then they are around 30,000 sold and moving fast. if they get to 70 then its time to sweat a little i have to get to feb 9th.

It's at GA63 right now(checked an hour ago...)

Its been speculated in this thread that there are 500 ticks per GA number. That would mean they have sold 37,000 3 day passes.

its at ga74

Magic number is GA 80 I think..... It will end today at GA 76. So It sells out by wednesday...

bmack86
02-27-2007, 04:25 PM
The Gibson version is great.

Hannahrain
02-27-2007, 04:27 PM
helena bonham carter

she might just be the perfect female specimen.

her or zooey deschanel.

wmgaretjax
02-27-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't think I can even stomach the thought of someone preferring the gibson Hamlet to Branagh's.... awful taste in my mouth right now.

Courtney
02-27-2007, 04:42 PM
or zooey deschanel.

Yes.

mob roulette
02-27-2007, 06:28 PM
she might just be the perfect female specimen.

her or zooey deschanel.

that's a poll right there. ultimate sexbomb rivalry. yes sexbombs. i said it. eyecandy for the decemberists set yes? YES.

Hannahrain
02-27-2007, 06:34 PM
why pick when you could have them BOTH?