PDA

View Full Version : The "I Appreciate James Taylor" Thread

msklvr
03-10-2008, 11:29 PM
I, for one, love the shit out of James Taylor. He is one of the best singer/songwriters of all time. Even his sad songs make you happy. I have noticed all the sad, angry, and depressed people all over these boards as of recently. Seems like people are letting life get them down. Well, fuck that, because when Sweet Baby James is playing and singing, there is no sadness allowed! Recognize!

CqDV77r8244

wftbahypdAA

e9MPVKWwwFg

kNosnY457P4

NiceArthur32
03-10-2008, 11:37 PM
i fuckin love this guy...

=*)

fire and rain....

::sniff::

64_303eHaTM

msklvr
03-10-2008, 11:39 PM
i fuckin love this guy...

=*)

fire and rain....

::sniff::

No cryin' allowed! Get outa here with your tears! Only happiness in this thread, god damn it!:)

NiceArthur32
03-10-2008, 11:45 PM
theyre happy tears!

do his shows sell out?

i'm thinking about buying a couple of tickets to his show at the Greek theatre in July...

just wondering how early i should buy them...

captncrzy
03-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Fire and Rain is quite possibly one of the best songs ever written.

I get chills every goddamn time I hear it.

I love Sweet Baby James too.

canexplain
03-11-2008, 09:16 AM
i really like him and saw him a bunch of times, the only neg thing i want to say, geez did he age real quickly ... maybe it was the bald head .. but as far as music song writers, he is up there with the best ... x****

chiapet
03-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Wow, I had no idea that James taylor was ever somewhat attractive.

canexplain
03-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Wow, I had no idea that James taylor was ever somewhat attractive.

dude, if you could marry carly simon in her prime, you had to have something going ... x****

Mr.Nipples
03-11-2008, 10:49 AM
James Taylor annoys the living fuck out of me...

bballarl
03-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Ditto.

TomAz
03-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I fucking hate James Taylor. He's just a notch below Billy Joel and the Eagles in the inane department. He's like a poster boy for rich old-money New Englanders who summer on Martha's Vineyard and play acoustic guitar and talk about helping the poor. I wanna split his dome open with a pickaxe.

TomAz
03-11-2008, 12:03 PM
If you think that sappy easy listening crap James Taylor write makes him 'one of the greatest songwriters ever' then you are a blithering idiot. He's like a fucking Normal Rockwell. He writes songs that look like this:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/130/009_575-010~Norman-Rockwell-Triple-Self-Portrait-Posters.jpg

who likes that shit? retards and grandmothers. which are you?

mob roulette
03-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Concur. National treasure my ass.

bballarl
03-11-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm glad that other people don't like Billy Joel and the Eagles.

TomAz
03-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey Andrew I just got that new Gram Parsons bio. Did you know Bernie Leadon was in the Flying Burrito Bros?

Gram loathed the Eagles, btw.

Mr.Nipples
03-11-2008, 01:07 PM
his impression of mike patton is hilarious...
Ycju4Nl1nMY

mob roulette
03-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Awful. And the thing of it is too is that Tom nailed it. Music to assauge the guilt of the privileged. I bought into it when I was a kid but then I opted out. For all the "sincerity" implicit in those songs, it's really just crap music to toss lawn darts by. To? Toss lawn darts to?

Fire and Rain is okay though.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-11-2008, 01:25 PM
did you see taylor and carol king at the troubadour couple months back?

mob roulette
03-11-2008, 01:28 PM
I like Carole King. She's a wonderful songwriter. That's not the issue here.

bballarl
03-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, Carole King rules.

bballarl
03-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey Andrew I just got that new Gram Parsons bio. Did you know Bernie Leadon was in the Flying Burrito Bros?

I will buy that next time I enter a bookstore. I did not know that. And that is another reason why Gram was awesome.

TomAz
03-11-2008, 01:57 PM
the book is full of facts and research but the writer annoys me. I'm on Chapter Two and the guy must have said the Connors and Snivelys were Southern families about 500 times.

msklvr
03-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Ditto.

I fucking hate James Taylor. He's just a notch below Billy Joel and the Eagles in the inane department. He's like a poster boy for rich old-money New Englanders who summer on Martha's Vineyard and play acoustic guitar and talk about helping the poor. I wanna split his dome open with a pickaxe.

If you think that sappy easy listening crap James Taylor write makes him 'one of the greatest songwriters ever' then you are a blithering idiot. He's like a fucking Normal Rockwell. He writes songs that look like this:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/130/009_575-010~Norman-Rockwell-Triple-Self-Portrait-Posters.jpg

who likes that shit? retards and grandmothers. which are you?

I will buy that next time I enter a bookstore. I did not know that. And that is another reason why Gram was awesome.

the book is full of facts and research but the writer annoys me. I'm on Chapter Two and the guy must have said the Connors and Snivelys were Southern families about 500 times.

Um, this the "I Appreciate James Taylor" thread. Kindly go fuck yourselves because we retards and grandmothers want to discuss James Taylor. Thanks. Or, you know, just go somewhere else and babble. Hmmm? Thxkbye!

Here are some facts from good old wikipedia that show how people do not like James Taylor and that he sucks major azz...:winkiss

1995 Honorary doctorate of music from the Berklee College of Music, Boston, 1995
2000 Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, 2000
2000 Inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, 2000
2003 The Chapel Hill Museum in Chapel Hill North Carolina opened a permanent exhibit dedicated to Taylor. At the same occasion the US-15-501 highway bridge over Morgan Creek, near the site of the Taylor family home and mentioned in Taylor's song "Copperline", was dedicated to Taylor.
2004 George and Ira Gershwin Award for Lifetime Musical Achievement UCLA Spring Sing.
2004 Ranked 84th in Rolling Stone's list of "The Immortals: 100 Greatest Artists of All Time."

Not to mention all the grammys.

NiceArthur32
03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah!

all you james taylor haters...

GET OUT!

James Taylor is the SHIT!

and you guys are jerks!

TomAz
03-11-2008, 03:25 PM
You didn't answer my question.

msklvr
03-11-2008, 03:31 PM
You didn't answer my question.

Your question was moot. There was no need for an answer. I could answer it for YOU though.

Retard.

TomAz
03-11-2008, 03:35 PM
George and Ira Gershwin Award

grannie.

edit: do you know who won the first Gershwin Award, in 1988? Angela Lansbury.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/07/04/theater/Lans395.jpg

msklvr
03-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah, anyway.

James Taylor has great talent, longevity in the business, a loyal fanbase that spans many generations, and his voice and playing have gotten better over the years. This is rare. Even if grandmas and retards like him, too.

TomAz
03-11-2008, 03:51 PM
The more you post, the more you prove my point.

TomAz
03-11-2008, 03:57 PM
He doesnt' have 'great talent'. Bob Dylan has great talent. Tom Waits has great talent. David Bowie, Beck, Thom Yorke, these people have great talent. Not James Taylor. James Taylor has a knack for making simple, lightweight, pleasant songs that challenge nothing and no one. His songs are not engaging, thoughtful, or even particularly witty or observant; his lyrics are sappy, sentimentalist drivel; his melodies, pleasant but not particularly complex or orignal.

I really don't know what part of my first post escaped your comprehension, so I'm not sure where to go next with this. Cite your Rolling Stone and Gershwin and Grammies all you want, you're still not reacting to the substance of what I'm saying.

TomAz
03-11-2008, 04:00 PM
also, David Lee Roth has longevity. you gonna start a thread appreciating him next?

msklvr
03-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Ahhh, you speak English! Good! I thought you just spoke asshole.

His great talent comes in two.

1. His voice is incredible. Strong and pure. No bullshit of any kind. It seriously has gotten better with age. He seemed very introverted when he was younger. Never opened his eyes. Now he jokes and interacts with the crowd and just has a good time.

2. His guitar playing is superb. While what he is playing may seem simple, any guitar player will tell you to play it properly, is very difficult. To play his songs as he plays them requires great skill.

His songs, simple in meaning sometimes, do one thing for me when I listen to them. They make me feel good. That's all.

So I made a thread to appreciate him, as I'm sure others do. I like some of the other artists you listed, Tom. I think there are other threads about them already going. Maybe you should check them out?

msklvr
03-11-2008, 04:10 PM
also, David Lee Roth has longevity. you gonna start a thread appreciating him next?

David Lee Roth = Hack

TomAz
03-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Ahhh, you speak English! Good! I thought you just spoke asshole.

His great talent comes in two.

1. His voice is incredible. Strong and pure. No bullshit of any kind. It seriously has gotten better with age. He seemed very introverted when he was younger. Never opened his eyes. Now he jokes and interacts with the crowd and just has a good time.

2. His guitar playing is superb. While what he is playing may seem simple, any guitar player will tell you to play it properly, is very difficult. To play his songs as he plays them requires great skill.

His songs, simple in meaning sometimes, do one thing for me when I listen to them. They make me feel good. That's all.

So I made a thread to appreciate him, as I'm sure others do. I like some of the other artists you listed, Tom. I think there are other threads about them already going. Maybe you should check them out?

- Maybe you don't understand how message boards work.

- A great voice is no more a 'talent' than being tall is. And his voice ain't all that great. It's neutral, that's the best thing it has going for it.

- Esteban is also a great guitar player, with complex classical structures, but it doesn't mean I want to listen to his crap either.

mob roulette
03-11-2008, 04:18 PM
David Lee Roth>James Taylor. AIN'T TALKIN BOUT LUUUUUUUUUUUV, MY LUV IS ROTTEN TO THE COOOOR!!!!RUNNIN WIT THE DEVUUUUUUL!!!!!!OWWW!!!

Appreciated.

msklvr
03-11-2008, 04:25 PM
I understand how message boards work. I understand you like to be a dick. It's cool.

TomAz
03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm not being a dick any more than you're being a dick. You expressed an opinion, I expressed a contrary opinion.

Mr.Nipples
03-11-2008, 04:35 PM
The man sucks.He makes elbow-patch-on-my-argile-jacket-wearing-adult-contemporary acoustic crap. Its just unacceptable...

msklvr
03-11-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm not being a dick any more than you're being a dick. You expressed an opinion, I expressed a contrary opinion.

Yeah, but you are the one expressing your contrary opinion in the wrong place. Yeah, freedom of speech, it's the internet, I do what I want, blah blah blah. You are in the Appreciate JT thread and you hate JT. K, maybe you don't look at it as being dickish, but it definitely has a kinda phallic shape to it.

algunz
03-11-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm sorry, but you veteran boardies disappoint.

I adore James and The Eagles.

Some of you just think too much.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-11-2008, 10:42 PM
I like Carole King. She's a wonderful songwriter. That's not the issue here.

oh, my reply was just a general question to all not a response to you directly.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-11-2008, 10:44 PM
David Lee Roth>James Taylor. AIN'T TALKIN BOUT LUUUUUUUUUUUV, MY LUV IS ROTTEN TO THE COOOOR!!!!RUNNIN WIT THE DEVUUUUUUL!!!!!!OWWW!!!

Appreciated.

that reminds me of my old 72 Nova SS...everytime I washed it I would play Van Halen I

kitt kat
03-12-2008, 01:05 AM
When I was eight years old, my family and I went on a two-week American Northwest/Midwest roadtrip. We drove in my mom's old 1993 teal green Volvo station wagon.

Now, we were lucky enough to have a CD player in this vehicle. However, my parents only brought three CDs along on this trip. THREE. One of these three was a "James Taylor Greatest Hits Compilation." (The other two aren't relevant to this discussion.)

So, for two weeks, I heard James Taylor singing "Copperline" about 349832043294823 times. Now, whenever I hear him, I want to rip my ears off.

I cannot stand James Taylor.

On a related note, I was teaching out 4th graders about music genres today, and one of my coworkers did a mean James Taylor impression out of nowhere.

NiceArthur32
03-12-2008, 01:08 AM
^^^^^you used to be cool...

not anymore...

James Taylor is awesome...

Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall....

All you gotta do is call...

TomAz
03-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah, but you are the one expressing your contrary opinion in the wrong place. Yeah, freedom of speech, it's the internet, I do what I want, blah blah blah. You are in the Appreciate JT thread and you hate JT. K, maybe you don't look at it as being dickish, but it definitely has a kinda phallic shape to it.

fair enough. he still sucks though.

I'm sorry, but you veteran boardies disappoint.

I adore James and The Eagles.

Some of you just think too much.

And some of you don't think enough.

gaypalmsprings
03-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I saw JT in the 70s. My favorite song of his is "You've Got a Friend."

gaypalmsprings
03-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Today is James Taylor's birthday. He is 60.

http://www.fismo.com/kimages/cake_large.jpg

mob roulette
03-12-2008, 04:30 PM
^^^^^you used to be cool...

not anymore...

James Taylor is awesome...

Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall....

All you gotta do is call...

I saw JT in the 70s. My favorite song of his is "You've Got a Friend."

Carole King. Man's written maybe two good songs on his own.

Cheddar's Cousin
03-12-2008, 04:38 PM
JT is my boy.

msklvr
03-12-2008, 06:44 PM
James Taylor can suck on Deez. DEEEZ NUTS!!!11!!

I really doubt James wants to suck on deez nuts for his birthday. Plus, I think that is the dumbest thing ever posted, ever.

msklvr
03-12-2008, 06:45 PM
http://www.fismo.com/kimages/cake_large.jpg

Happy Birthday to a living legend!

msklvr
03-12-2008, 07:03 PM
No way.

Way!