PDA

View Full Version : DEMF 2008 (Detroit Electronic Music Festival)

HunterGather
03-10-2008, 06:28 AM
I dunno if this festival is ever worth going to, but eh...
May 24-26th.
They have a special limited price for tickets at $40.
Lineup to be released soon...

http://www.demf.com

HEADSTRUCK
03-10-2008, 06:35 AM
i have been a bunch of times and played there 2005 and 2006. Its a great time and there is always a party going on in the city somewhere. i didnt go last year and wont this year just cause i am saving money for fest that i enjoy more. i say if never have and are close enuf to drive do it.

nationocean
03-10-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm sorry, but who would ever go to Detroit? Worst. City. Ever.

HunterGather
03-10-2008, 04:06 PM
I went there to see Bjork last year. It was real cheap to fly there.
Though, aside from the show, I had no other reason to want to be there...

HEADSTRUCK
03-10-2008, 04:09 PM
the city is a dump for sure but a fun weekend, just dont stray from the events.

HunterGather
03-10-2008, 05:04 PM
After the Bjork show, we walked to a diner. We had to walk about a mile and it was midnight-ish. Seemed very quiet and a little creepy. I mean it was 3 of us, but still....

Trick Loves The Kids
03-10-2008, 05:09 PM

you sound like you've never been to baltimore

rileyprime
03-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Wow. Its pretty unfortunate that there are so many negative ideas about Detroit around here. I actually grew up there and work out of Michigan now, but I make sure to retrun for this festival almost every year, definatley the last few now that different organizers took it over.

Ive been to Coachella, Bonnaroo, Ultra and even a few overseas and I can honestly say that if you are a deep EDM fan then this is the event for you. No overpaid, bloated hype machine talent at this event. It is always a fresh tasting of artists past and present. And you can never beat the price.

http://melodytrip.com/Community/photos/demf/images/12785/500x283.aspx

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/gillygrrl/demf-1.jpg

Just a couple pics I could find online. The setting couldnt be better, right in the middle of the downtown proper.

HunterGather
03-20-2008, 05:08 AM
Bumping...
Anyone have a clue of who could be at the festival this year?

And on that, hows the setup for the festival?

As far as genres...
Is there like a house stage, a breaks stage, etc...
I can't make Ultra this year, but I'm hoping DEMF is a similar set up.

xxilleuphoriaxx
03-20-2008, 07:23 AM

sorry butttt..... Detroit is amazing. A little ghetto but some of the best sports teams, musicians, artists have come out of detroit. i looove living in the city! thaaanks =]

Robototron
03-20-2008, 10:38 AM
I wish I could go to this. Every year DEMF has the best lineup of any American festival, IMO.

rileyprime
03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
I saw this on the festival site today, figured I would post it here. Looks pretty damn good so far, looking forward to the rest of the line-up:

"Paxahau is pleased to present Movement 2008 - Detroit’s Electronic Music Festival! Now in it’s 9th year, this festival has grown to mean so much to Electronic Music lovers from all over the world. Our organization is honored to play host to all of you and the many talented artists that make it possible. We have worked tirelessly over the last year to bring another evolution in the level of production as well as a broad representation of global and local talent.

...below are a few of the artists playing Movement 08, more will be announced soon

ALEX UNDER –live
ALTON MILLER
BENNY BENASSI
BUZZ GOREE
CARL CRAIG
CASSY
COBBLESTONE JAZZ –live
COOL KIDS –live
DBX –live
DUBFIRE
EGYPTIAN LOVER –live
GIRL TALK –live
GUILLAUME & THE COUTU DUMONTS -live
HALF HAWAII –live
JAMES ZABIELA
JORIS VOORN –live
KONRAD BLACK
MATHIAS KADEN –live
MIKE GRANT
MINX
MOBY -dj set
NEWCLEUS -live
SPEEDY J -live with Scott Pagano VJ
TECH ITCH
TERRENCE PARKER
ZIP

xxilleuphoriaxx
03-31-2008, 07:20 AM
I HATE Benny Benassi... but everyone else im pretty pumped for =] DEMF is going to be tiiight this year =] I wish I could see Infected Mushroom, too bad they're too sweet to play DEMF

instinct
03-31-2008, 11:04 PM
I will hit this up one year.

rileyprime
04-08-2008, 01:21 PM
more names released today

from urb.com

URB EXCLUSIVE

The Movement: Detroit Electronic Music Festival, in all of it's incarnations, has never been shy with hip-hop (who remembers The Roots and Mos Def headlining the main stage the first year—wow!) But the events overwhelming techno and house programming has in subsequent years has meant that few MCs outside of Detroit's own local scene have gotten much play. 2008 marks the festival's ninth year in existance, and Paxahau Promotions (who took over the event in 2006) have expanded the scope of their bookngs to include hip-hoppers Pete Rock and Peanut Butter Wolf, hipster-hoppers Cool Kids, and just plain hipster Girl Talk to the line-up that proudly leans on the festival's roots with founder Carl Craig, mainstay Richie Hawtin and rare appearances from international techno stars like Marco Carola and Tech Itch.

Also appearing for the first time at DEMF is techno's biggest crossover superstar, Moby, whose recent album, Last Night, and current retrun to DJing has reminded fans that the pop icon was once the most vocal proponent of dance and rave culture.

And of course, no DEMF would be complete without unheralded sets from fantastic Detroit locals who spend the other 51 weeks of the year outside of the spotlight. Look for Reggie "Hotmix" Harrell, Minx and Mike Huckaby to throw down three of the best sets you accidentally heard.

Expanded Line-Up

Alex Smoke -live
Alex Under -live
Alland Byallo
Benny Benassi
Carl Craig
Cobblestone Jazz -live
Davide Squillace
DBX -live
Deadmau5 -live
Deepchord presents Echospace -live
Derek Plaslaiko
Derrick Thompson
Dieselboy & MC Messinian
Dubfire
Egyptian Lover -live
Electrobounce.com presents DATABASS ghetto tech
Eric Johnston -live
Girl Talk –live
Guillaume & the Coutu Dumonts -live
Half Hawaii

Heartthrob -live
James Zabiela
Jerry Abstract
Joris Voorn -live
Josh Wink
Justin Kruse aka Kruse Kontrol
Justin Long
Konrad Black
Lee Burridge
Magda
Marco Carola
Mathias Kaden -live
Matthew Hawtin
Mike Grant
Mike Huckaby
Minx
Moby –dj set
Newcleus –live
Par Grindvik -live
Paul Ritch -live
Peanut Butter Wolf
Pete Rock
Reggie "Hotmix" Harrell
Richie Hawtin
Shawn Michaels
Soundmurderer
Speedy J -live
Tech Itch
Terrence Parker
The Cool Kids -live
Tycho -live
Zip

rileyprime
04-29-2008, 05:28 AM
my pals in detroit are saying that people there are really starting to get excited for this event. more great news keeps coming in regards to line up and tickets are still only $45 for the entire weekend.

http://a204.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/124/l_6d2677796d7fdfb4fe5a9da47877e543.jpg