PDA

View Full Version : Worst genre of music?

Boourns
03-07-2008, 08:49 PM
You can only choose one.

thelastgreatman
03-07-2008, 08:56 PM
ICP is not nu-metal. And Editors Want Revenge are not post-punk.

orbit
03-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Since I don't feel like putting Kavinsky and Justice in 'other,' I'll go with my second option.

whynotsmile99
03-07-2008, 09:26 PM
wow, good poll question. a very tough topic no doubt. Most of those are very shitty.

I like Clipse, Dr. Dre and some other "gangsta rap" so i guess i can't pick that one. THough most of gangsta rap truly is awful.

I like Editors, She Wants Revenge, and Interpol so I can't say "21st Century Post punk ripoffs"

pop country is bad, but far less agonizing than other categories....

hmmmm

i think for me its a 6 way tie betwee Nu metal, Hair metal, post grunge, pop punk, eyeliner emo and christian.

maybe i'll have to give the edge to eyeliner EMo. Especially if that includes Screamo

algunz
03-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I went with grunge, because you have included 3 of the worst bands ever in such category.

Daft Fro
03-07-2008, 10:18 PM
http://www.dymaxionweb.com/kulturedrome/Hair%20Metal.jpg

fatbastard
03-07-2008, 10:57 PM
These genres are stinking up the board.

hypervera
03-07-2008, 11:12 PM
post grunge has some good bands

and again your editors wants intepol is shit, well i dont like she wants revenge, but interpol and editors are good bands

and the worst genre of this poll is pop country

paulb
03-08-2008, 12:04 AM
how could you seriously perfer to see Panic At The Disco or My Chemical Romance over Korn or Limp Bizkit?

Id say MCR and those losers would be the worst....them and Nickelback type bands...

hypervera
03-08-2008, 12:12 AM
how could you seriously perfer to see Panic At The Disco or My Chemical Romance over Korn or Limp Bizkit?

Id say MCR and those losers would be the worst....them and Nickelback type bands...

you are right man. korn and limp bizkit and all nu metal kills panic at the disco and mcr and all that kind of bands

Astrid
03-08-2008, 01:31 AM
it was geniunely hard to pick one. i only picked pop country because my housemate fucking lovvvvvvvvves carrie underwood. barf.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-08-2008, 05:56 AM
I can actually listen to almost anything......except Christian Music...

M Sparks
03-08-2008, 06:03 AM
Gotta go post-grunge. There's at least a sense of fun and/or stupid catchiness in everything else.

I don't consider "Christian" a genre, because they have music of every genre. Anybody remember The Swirling Eddies? They were like the Dead Milkmen of Christian music.

Honestly, Gangster Rap is probably the worst, but I like a lot of the old-school stuff.

brando4n82
03-08-2008, 06:11 AM
Grindcore is pretty bad.

so is drone metal.

oh and Merzbow, whatever the fuck he is

M Sparks
03-08-2008, 06:11 AM

Dude...is that Nitro?

bH5gmbugmxM

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-08-2008, 06:13 AM
Grindcore is pretty bad.

so is drone metal.

I love Merzbow! and I would gladly listen to days worth of him then 20 minutes of a christian radiostation....

thelastgreatman
03-08-2008, 06:52 AM
I also don't see Creed and Nickleback as "post-grunge." They're not an extension of the grunge movement, they're a regression to simpler rock.

Also, Deftones were nu-metal too, and they were fucking awesome for the first two albums. That'll always be true nu-metal to me.

gaypalmsprings
03-08-2008, 06:58 AM
I'm sure glad Disco wasn't on your list.

http://www.thesugardaddyband.com/Images/spring%20ball%20disco%20ball%20copy.jpg

JSam67
03-08-2008, 06:58 AM
I think Creed, Nickelback, Hinder, Daughtry, etc. are just generic radio rock. I don't like associating them with post-grunge because grunge was an actual movement of music that didn't suck. No matter though, whatever you wanna label them, it's the worst thing out there. Eyeliner emo is a close runner-up.

thelastgreatman
03-08-2008, 07:00 AM
I'm sure glad Disco wasn't on your list.

http://www.thesugardaddyband.com/Images/spring%20ball%20disco%20ball%20copy.jpg

AGREED.

DO NOT FUCK WITH DISCO.

Don't make me start posting youtubes, goddammit.

thelastgreatman
03-08-2008, 07:01 AM
I think Creed, Nickelback, Hinder, Daughtry, etc. are just generic radio rock. I don't like associating them with post-grunge because grunge was an actual movement of music that didn't suck. No matter though, whatever you wanna label them, it's the worst thing out there. Eyeliner emo is a close runner-up.

Seriously. Grunge ended around 96, then nu-metal took over with Creed and Nickelback following shortly afterwards. They were a reaction to rap/rock, not an evolution of grunge. Creed has absolutely nothing in common with grunge. They'd be better classified as Clear Channel Rock.

Cheddar's Cousin
03-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Creed has absolutely nothing in common with grunge. They'd be better classified as Clear Channel Rock.

Or, how about Nu Arena Rock? Now with 90% more pretentious twatwaffles.

Hair Metal rulz. Long live Cinderella!

Christian is not a genre...especially given the fact that your 3 examples are completely different styles of music.

I wish all the little emo boyz would just give it up and give their little sisters their pants back.

thelastgreatman
03-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Deftones and fucking shitty cocksucking Korn were an evolution of grunge in a lot of ways, but not that other shit. Seriously, tell me this isn't the child of grunge right here:

lDN6yqeFl3c

mimi3000
03-08-2008, 07:40 AM
How come trance isn't on there?! Its boring and cheesy. Actually I can't stand everything on there except hair metal (sorry grew up on that stuff) & 21 st century post punk ripoffs ( i actually like all those bands mentioned) so there!

orbit
03-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Well, if there isn't an option for ed banger, why would trance?

And.. where's Jack Johnson?

thelastgreatman
03-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Trance isn't on there because no one cares about it except a sliver of a sliver of a genre.

M Sparks
03-08-2008, 08:24 AM
I also don't see Creed and Nickleback as "post-grunge." They're not an extension of the grunge movement, they're a regression to simpler rock.

Whatever you want to call it, it's the only type of music I can't find anything to like about.

thelastgreatman
03-08-2008, 08:26 AM
I agree with that, I just don't think it's appropriate to sully the legacy of grunge by saying that that garbage is in any way a derivative of it.

M Sparks
03-08-2008, 09:05 AM
At the peak of grunge, there were plenty of bandwagon jumpers sullying that legacy before it was even written.

For me, Grunge was more of a palette cleanser than anything else. It helped clear the shit off mainstream radio and MTV. By that point, I had already given up on mainstream radio, so it never made much of an impact on my life. It made the world better, though. When I was a freshman in college, my dorm neighbors were listening to Milli Vanilli and Young MC. When I was a senior, they were listening to Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. I never liked any of them, but the latter years were much more tollarable.

rage patton
03-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Creed could also be considered a Christian band.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Well, if there isn't an option for ed banger, why would trance?

And.. where's Jack Johnson?

Yes indeed...the "bro" genre should have been listed...

summerkid
03-08-2008, 10:27 AM
after thinking about it some I probably should have voted gangster rap just because some of the rappers are smart enough to know that they are perpetuating negative black stereotypes to a largely white audience in order to make a buck. The modern black face way to go fuckers. Yeah, I'm looking at you 50.

STALINZZZ
03-08-2008, 10:30 AM
I chose the post-grunge option...although I hate christian rock (isn't creed chistian rock?) just as much. The reason I chose post-grunge is because I have heard more of it compared to christian rock. The only christian rock I have heard is on those infomercials for christian rock compilations.

If jesus ever came back to earth I would personally re-kill him.

superfiction
03-08-2008, 11:13 AM
you forgot christmas music

digitalface
03-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Seriously. Creed has absolutely nothing in common with grunge. They'd be better classified as Clear Channel Rock.

Clear Channel Rock. Bang on, my friend. Can I use this? I'm totally using this.

Boourns
03-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Seriously. Grunge ended around 96, then nu-metal took over with Creed and Nickelback following shortly afterwards. They were a reaction to rap/rock, not an evolution of grunge. Creed has absolutely nothing in common with grunge. They'd be better classified as Clear Channel Rock.

Creed is the Pearl Jam sound watered down into mildly grunge-flavored Clear Channel arena rock ballads, with pseudo-spiritual lyrics and crucifixion posturing in videos and on-stage. Scott Stapp tries to sing exactly like Eddie Vedder, as well. Bands like Nickelback, Hinder, Daughtry, Default, Finger 11, etc just follow the Creed model for bucks, but without Jesus.

thelastgreatman
03-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Just because Scott Stapp did an Eddie Vedder impression doesn't make it post-grunge. It had nothing to do with grunge. Creed sounds more like Live than it does Pearl Jam, and Live isn't exactly grunge.

Also, why in the fuck wouldn't Creed be in Christian Rock? P.O.D. is nu-metal, to boot.

STALINZZZ
03-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Creed and Nickelback can be considered post-post-grunge. I would say that Live is considered post-grunge, as is Bush. Grunge however is the genre with the least amount of bands that were HUGE.

List of grunge bands that were HUGE:

Nirvana
PJ
Soundgarden
Alice In Chains
STP (it's stretch to call them grunge)
Hole (maybe)

thelastgreatman
03-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Core was definitely grunge, and most of Purple. They just also delved into other vibes--which I personally think was their better work.

Live can't really be post-grunge cause they were going on at the same time. They were just non-grunge rock of the era.

STALINZZZ
03-08-2008, 12:49 PM
yeah I guess I just consider Live post-grunge because Throwing Copper, which was their seminal album, came out in 1994 as did Sixteen Stone and Bush is pretty much the definition of post-grunge.

thelastgreatman
03-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I fucking hate bullshit sub-genre definitions. From wiki:
By 1993 some of the first post-grunge bands (notably Bush, Collective Soul, Everclear, Our Lady Peace and Live) had been signed to major labels and were beginning to garner mainstream attention.

This is horseshit. They were just other alternative rock in the case of Live and Bush. That other shit wasn't actually popular for another year or two at least.

STALINZZZ
03-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Collective Soul still has a respectably large and dedicated fanbase. I agree though sub-genre shit is shit.

TheWatcher
03-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Missing options:

Boy-bands (Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, 98 Degrees)
nu-R&B - yes I just made that up for lack of a better name - (Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Beyonce, Rhianna)

STALINZZZ
03-08-2008, 01:17 PM
The artists in your "nu-R&B" genre are at lest respectable.

jonnypark
03-08-2008, 03:07 PM

I'm sorry but that is fucking awesome.

clumsy342
03-08-2008, 03:56 PM
...they are perpetuating negative black stereotypes to a largely white audience in order to make a buck. The modern black face way to go fuckers. Yeah, I'm looking at you 50.

I completely agree and have been saying the same for years.

Say what you will about rap's artistic merit..
but the whole image is so fucking negative.

thelastgreatman
03-08-2008, 03:58 PM
after thinking about it some I probably should have voted gangster rap just because some of the rappers are smart enough to know that they are perpetuating negative black stereotypes to a largely white audience in order to make a buck. The modern black face way to go fuckers. Yeah, I'm looking at you 50.

I'm sorry--should they all pretend to be Will Smith regardless of whether or not that's an accurate reflection of their environment? Why don't we just frown on all violence in movies, too?

leo01g
03-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Deftones and fucking shitty cocksucking Korn were an evolution of grunge in a lot of ways, but not that other shit. Seriously, tell me this isn't the child of grunge right here:

lDN6yqeFl3c

Damn i havent heard this song in a while!

Sonicifyouwantit
03-08-2008, 06:53 PM

lDN6yqeFl3c

dont think that has anything to do with grunge as much as it does to hardcore.

msklvr
03-08-2008, 07:47 PM
I voted for other because there is something good that came out of each genre at one time or another.

And no one say anything bad about the Deftones. Chino is the man.

rage patton
03-08-2008, 08:05 PM
you forgot christmas music

Oh fuck yes. I fucking hate Christmas music with a passion. Seriously.

superfiction
03-08-2008, 09:03 PM
the deftones are solid why are we hating on them

msklvr
03-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Oh fuck yes. I fucking hate Christmas music with a passion. Seriously.

Fuckin' Scrooge! Bah humbug to you!

rage patton
03-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Fuckin' Scrooge! Bah humbug to you!

When it comes to Christmas music, I am the Grinch. Seriously. Until Mike Patton releases a Christimas album, I very much doubt I will like any Christmas music.

algunz
03-08-2008, 10:48 PM
pretentious twatwaffles.

Nice.

clumsy342
03-08-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm sorry--should they all pretend to be Will Smith regardless of whether or not that's an accurate reflection of their environment? Why don't we just frown on all violence in movies, too?

I see what you're saying. But.. it really seems like you'll go to any length to disagree with something. hahha.. seriously, comparing it to violence in movies?

The original arguement was about perpetuating stereotypes.
And maybe rap is only a part of it, but you cant deny..
well... shit like this:
Lf_-2FYtdYk
What's the world coming to?

hypervera
03-09-2008, 01:26 AM
nu metal>>>eyeliner emo
post grunge>>>eyeliner emo

instinct
03-09-2008, 01:42 AM
I voted EMO. The Gangster Rap one is kind of weird, cause the artists that you chose are more like commercial club rap. When i think of Gangster rap, I think of rap from the 90's. Nu-Metal is waaaaay better than Emo, or pop country. God, I really hate almost all these groups.. Except for the Post-Punk Genre.

LOL.. She Wants Revenge and Interpol sound almost IDENTICAL. I don't get how you can like one and not the other.

hypervera
03-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I voted EMO. The Gangster Rap one is kind of weird, cause the artists that you chose are more like commercial club rap. When i think of Gangster rap, I think of rap from the 90's. Nu-Metal is waaaaay better than Emo, or pop country. God, I really hate almost all these groups.. Except for the Post-Punk Genre.

LOL.. She Wants Revenge and Interpol sound almost IDENTICAL. I don't get how you can like one and not the other.

Interpol>>She wants revenge

you think they are "almost identical" just because of the low voices thats all

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 11:26 AM
dont think that has anything to do with grunge as much as it does to hardcore.

Yeah, I remember my scene friends trying to tell me how Deftones were hardcore or whatever, and I don't buy that shit at all. They were what post-grunge should mean--that which followed and grew out of grunge. Sorry, I don't see the connection between Deftones and earlier hardcore acts the way it seems blatantly obvious that they grew up on grunge and then got a little older and started developing a form of music that took its aesthetics but upped the energy--a more alternative alternative to the alt-rock period of the early 90s. The guitar work was just speedier grunge licks, not an update of hardcore from what I ever heard.

I voted for other because there is something good that came out of each genre at one time or another.

Agreed. At least until White Pony he was.

the deftones are solid why are we hating on them

I don't think anyone was. I just misunderstood this "post-grunge" thing. Seriously, how are Bush and Live "post-grunge?" They're listed examples in the wiki for it. They both came out like a year or two tops after the grunge explosion, grunge wasn't even over yet, so how can they be post-grunge? They were just alternative. Post-grunge is bullshit.

I see what you're saying. But.. it really seems like you'll go to any length to disagree with something. hahha.. seriously, comparing it to violence in movies?

The original arguement was about perpetuating stereotypes.
And maybe rap is only a part of it, but you cant deny..
well... shit like this:

How is it remotely different from violence in movies? Why is the Sopranos any better than 50 Cent, exactly? I'm not just disagreeing for the fuck of it, but I think it's kinda silly for you to call gangsta rap out (about 15 years too late I might add) as socially irresponsible. Know what's actually socially irresponsible? Gangs. Do you think rap inspired gangs? No. The gangs came first. They permeated the world that (some) of these rappers grew up in. And I can tell you for a fact that in Compton, Inglewood, NY, Camden, Newark... it's not just hype. They started making music about it because art has always been the vehicle by which the disenfranchised make their voices heard. I'm sure you'd prefer that they all responded by making socially responsible Will Smith public service announcement raps, but frankly that's just neither good lyric material nor would it be reflective of the inner-city black culture's true desires. Every once in a while they'd come out with something that reflected on the evil of what they were doing... but at the end of the day it's still gangs that get respect, that act as a militia to represent patriotism for their neighborhoods, that have the power and money and women and that are therefore more desirable to the market rappers are targeting.

You should try thinking a little deeper and consider the fact that until NWA and The Chronic started showing up in white teenagers' stereos you didn't hear too much about just how serious street gang violence was/is, did you? Perhaps by frightening the middle-class by promoting the gang lifestyle they did a lot more to draw useful attention to the problem than any positive message music could have.

She Wants Revenge definitely tries to sound like Interpol as much as possible. But I can tell SWR just by the drum parts alone. They use a drum machine and the dumb cunts don't know how to program it.

SNARE IS NEVER ON 1 AND 3, DUMBSHITS. They have white people rhythm.

STALINZZZ
03-09-2008, 11:37 AM

THE Deftones? Fucking idiot.

Boourns
03-09-2008, 11:40 AM
White people smell like wet dog and french fries.

bleep
03-09-2008, 11:41 AM
i voted Christian music. trends come and go but Christian music always stays. especially in the more rural areas of this fine nation.

clumsy342
03-09-2008, 02:06 PM
How is it remotely different from violence in movies? Why is the Sopranos any better than 50 Cent, exactly? I'm not just disagreeing for the fuck of it, but I think it's kinda silly for you to call gangsta rap out (about 15 years too late I might add) as socially irresponsible. Know what's actually socially irresponsible? Gangs. Do you think rap inspired gangs? No. The gangs came first. They permeated the world that (some) of these rappers grew up in. And I can tell you for a fact that in Compton, Inglewood, NY, Camden, Newark... it's not just hype. They started making music about it because art has always been the vehicle by which the disenfranchised make their voices heard. I'm sure you'd prefer that they all responded by making socially responsible Will Smith public service announcement raps, but frankly that's just neither good lyric material nor would it be reflective of the inner-city black culture's true desires. Every once in a while they'd come out with something that reflected on the evil of what they were doing... but at the end of the day it's still gangs that get respect, that act as a militia to represent patriotism for their neighborhoods, that have the power and money and women and that are therefore more desirable to the market rappers are targeting.

You see, I try not to stereotype people.
"True desires"?
I would love to hear you say that they all truely DO desire rims!

msklvr
03-09-2008, 06:30 PM
THE Deftones? Fucking idiot.

Lick my sweaty sack, asscrack.

I can't figure out if you are picking on the capitalization of "the", or if you don't like the Deftones.

Either way, please go fuck yourself.

instinct
03-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I remember my scene friends trying to tell me how Deftones were hardcore or whatever, and I don't buy that shit at all. They were what post-grunge should mean--that which followed and grew out of grunge. Sorry, I don't see the connection between Deftones and earlier hardcore acts the way it seems blatantly obvious that they grew up on grunge and then got a little older and started developing a form of music that took its aesthetics but upped the energy--a more alternative alternative to the alt-rock period of the early 90s. The guitar work was just speedier grunge licks, not an update of hardcore from what I ever heard.

Agreed. At least until White Pony he was.

I don't think anyone was. I just misunderstood this "post-grunge" thing. Seriously, how are Bush and Live "post-grunge?" They're listed examples in the wiki for it. They both came out like a year or two tops after the grunge explosion, grunge wasn't even over yet, so how can they be post-grunge? They were just alternative. Post-grunge is bullshit.

You should try thinking a little deeper and consider the fact that until NWA and The Chronic started showing up in white teenagers' stereos you didn't hear too much about just how serious street gang violence was/is, did you? Perhaps by frightening the middle-class by promoting the gang lifestyle they did a lot more to draw useful attention to the problem than any positive message music could have.

She Wants Revenge definitely tries to sound like Interpol as much as possible. But I can tell SWR just by the drum parts alone. They use a drum machine and the dumb cunts don't know how to program it.

SNARE IS NEVER ON 1 AND 3, DUMBSHITS. They have white people rhythm.'

How do you have so much time to post so much? Every post of yours is like an essay.

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 11:29 PM
I type fast. I think fast. I write around 15 pages of single spaced prose a day or so even not on this board. It's not that hard.

Mr.Nipples
03-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Lick my sweaty sack, asscrack.

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER!*

*joke

fatbastard
03-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Has anyone mentioned boy bands? At one point in music it seemed it was like the same 5 guys were coming out with a new song. They all sounded and looked the same. When I heard one acapella voice starting a song, it was my clue to click to another channel.

nationocean
03-10-2008, 08:41 AM
did anybody else see the south park marathon. i saw some of it in my hotel. they played the episode when cartman starts a christian group. so freaking sweet.

woogie846
03-10-2008, 09:44 AM
First of all, I'd like to give my congrats to Boourns on truly picking the shittiest genres ever for this poll. This is a toughie, but I'll go with post-grunge. I was thinking about going with nu-metal, but nu-metal is really entertaining to make fun of with friends. Post-grunge just makes me queasy.

hypervera
03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
First of all, I'd like to give my congrats to Boourns on truly picking the shittiest genres ever for this poll. This is a toughie, but I'll go with post-grunge. I was thinking about going with nu-metal, but nu-metal is really entertaining to make fun of with friends. Post-grunge just makes me queasy.

do you prefer panic at the disco, fall out boy, my chemical romance (eyeliner emo) over post grunge(remember theres a lot of bands better than nickelback)?

instinct
03-10-2008, 08:15 PM
do you prefer panic at the disco, fall out boy, my chemical romance (eyeliner emo) over post grunge(remember theres a lot of bands better than nickelback)?

Agreed.. I don't know how Post-Grunge could be nearly as bad as emo.

mountmccabe
03-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Grindcore is pretty bad.

so is drone metal.

You just made me put some Pig Destroyer and Nasum into this evening's playlist. Thank you. I would've put some Sunn O))) or Earth too but that kinda defeats the purpose.

When it comes to Christmas music, I am the Grinch. Seriously. Until Mike Patton releases a Christimas album, I very much doubt I will like any Christmas music.

Aahahahaha awesome

kitt kat
03-10-2008, 10:44 PM
had to go with the adult alternative radio answer to nirvana

the soft grunge

ughhhh

hypervera
03-11-2008, 12:49 AM
well it seems that not everybody noticed that in the poll we have an option called eyeliner emo (fall out boy, panic at the disco, my chemical romance) and GRUNGE, POST-GRUNGE AND ANY GRUNGE is fuckin better than every type of emo.

and even nu metal is better than eyeliner emo

gratytrainridesagain
03-11-2008, 02:56 AM
SNARE IS NEVER ON 1 AND 3, DUMBSHITS. They have white people rhythm.

Snare can be on 3 and is in most latin type beats not that SWR uses those

NiceArthur32
03-11-2008, 03:22 AM
chingy is gangster rap?

thelastgreatman
03-11-2008, 04:08 AM
Snare can be on 3 and is in most latin type beats not that SWR uses those

Yes, well it's not a rule for every type of music in the world, obviously. We're talking about rock music.

sbessiso
03-11-2008, 06:21 AM
every genre of music has its good, but i cannot stand these myspace emo/screamo bands with the most ridiculous names

M Sparks
03-11-2008, 06:52 AM

I do.

I prefer superficially catchy but stupid music to music with absolutely nothing to offer me. All three of your examples I quite enjoyed the first few times I heard them. Eventually I realized that there was no substance there, but it was fun for a few listens.

The fact that you call it "eyeliner emo" means you're more concerned with the "scene" and the "fashion" than the music. I don't go to the shows, or see the videos, or see these kids with all the bands written on their Pee-chee folders.

I actually got Panic's first CD as a gift. I read a good review that sounded interesting, mentioned it to someone, and got it for Christmas a few weeks later. I really liked it- eventually it got on my nerves, though. About six months later, I saw them on TV playing somewhere, and- I'll admit it- they were pretty annoying to watch. If I had seen them before I heard them, I might not have given them a chance- so I understand where you're coming from.

I had actually heard MCR before and hated them. But I heard Black Parade somewhere and genuinely liked it. Picked up the album because it was like $9 at Target. It's a total rip off of Queen and Pink Floyd. But I like Queen and Pink Floyd, so what's wrong with that?

Fall Out Boy- I was in a rental car in rural Washington state. We had been listening to the radio for days and it was driving us insane. The only things we had heard that we liked was Gnarls Barkley and Fall Out Boy. We wound up buying CDs at a Wal-mart in a small town that had no music store...bought those two albums, plus the newest Pet Shop Boys. Probably the only three listenable CDs you could find at a rural Wal-mart. I thought there were 5 or 6 really good pop songs on the FOB CD. It's good for what it is- disposable pop-rock. I don't know if I've ever seen a picture or clip of these guys, and I wouldn't associate them with that whole "emo" thing if it wasn't for people like you who constantly lump these three bands together.

And apparently, they are the ONLY three "emo" bands...I never hear anyone else mentioned. I don't really hear that they have much in common musically. I don't get it. Apparently, Fall Out Boy's haircuts and makeup makes them the same as everyone else with similar haircuts and makeup. I just don't hear it in the music.

And growing up in the hair-metal era...I totally understand that. There were probably some talented bands that I totally dismissed when I was a kid because their manager told them to tease their hair up.

To me, "emo" was stuff like Sunny Day Real Estate and Jimmy Eat World. I still really love Jimmy Eat World-been listening to them since they were playing little clubs in AZ. Even then, I didn't understand the label. And I don't see how any of these three bands have much in common either.

Anyway...you mention that there's "better bands than Nickelback." First of all...understatement of the century. EVERY band is better than Nickelback. But by saying that, you''re implying that these are the worst acts each genre has to offer. Since "eyeliner emo" is only ever mentioned by people who hate it, and no one is capable of pointing out anyone but these three examples...I have to assume that I kind of like THE ENTIRE GENRE! Because there's only 3 bands, and they are all not that bad! I do like Green Day, though I haven't seen them in 14 years. And Interpol is OK. But everything else on this list is shit, so I guess "eyeliner emo" is my favorite. And I didn't even know it!

Fuck genres and fuck this poll. I like music myself. Some of you guys love to subdivide the music YOU like into tiny little sub-genres. ("Are you retarded? That's 'Trance', not 'Hard Trance'. 'Trance' blows.") Then you lump everything you don't like into one big genre. ("Dwight Yoakam? What's next...Toby Keith?") How about actually developing a critical thought for yourself? How about judging music on it's own merits (or lack of) instead of what the band looks like in their Teen Beat centerfold?

Best part about getting old is you stop giving a fuck about what other people think and start seeing the world as it really is.

hypervera
03-11-2008, 09:18 AM
I do.

I prefer superficially catchy but stupid music to music with absolutely nothing to offer me. All three of your examples I quite enjoyed the first few times I heard them. Eventually I realized that there was no substance there, but it was fun for a few listens.

The fact that you call it "eyeliner emo" means you're more concerned with the "scene" and the "fashion" than the music. I don't go to the shows, or see the videos, or see these kids with all the bands written on their Pee-chee folders.

I actually got Panic's first CD as a gift. I read a good review that sounded interesting, mentioned it to someone, and got it for Christmas a few weeks later. I really liked it- eventually it got on my nerves, though. About six months later, I saw them on TV playing somewhere, and- I'll admit it- they were pretty annoying to watch. If I had seen them before I heard them, I might not have given them a chance- so I understand where you're coming from.

I had actually heard MCR before and hated them. But I heard Black Parade somewhere and genuinely liked it. Picked up the album because it was like $9 at Target. It's a total rip off of Queen and Pink Floyd. But I like Queen and Pink Floyd, so what's wrong with that?

Fall Out Boy- I was in a rental car in rural Washington state. We had been listening to the radio for days and it was driving us insane. The only things we had heard that we liked was Gnarls Barkley and Fall Out Boy. We wound up buying CDs at a Wal-mart in a small town that had no music store...bought those two albums, plus the newest Pet Shop Boys. Probably the only three listenable CDs you could find at a rural Wal-mart. I thought there were 5 or 6 really good pop songs on the FOB CD. It's good for what it is- disposable pop-rock. I don't know if I've ever seen a picture or clip of these guys, and I wouldn't associate them with that whole "emo" thing if it wasn't for people like you who constantly lump these three bands together.

And apparently, they are the ONLY three "emo" bands...I never hear anyone else mentioned. I don't really hear that they have much in common musically. I don't get it. Apparently, Fall Out Boy's haircuts and makeup makes them the same as everyone else with similar haircuts and makeup. I just don't hear it in the music.

And growing up in the hair-metal era...I totally understand that. There were probably some talented bands that I totally dismissed when I was a kid because their manager told them to tease their hair up.

To me, "emo" was stuff like Sunny Day Real Estate and Jimmy Eat World. I still really love Jimmy Eat World-been listening to them since they were playing little clubs in AZ. Even then, I didn't understand the label. And I don't see how any of these three bands have much in common either.

Anyway...you mention that there's "better bands than Nickelback." First of all...understatement of the century. EVERY band is better than Nickelback. But by saying that, you''re implying that these are the worst acts each genre has to offer. Since "eyeliner emo" is only ever mentioned by people who hate it, and no one is capable of pointing out anyone but these three examples...I have to assume that I kind of like THE ENTIRE GENRE! Because there's only 3 bands, and they are all not that bad! I do like Green Day, though I haven't seen them in 14 years. And Interpol is OK. But everything else on this list is shit, so I guess "eyeliner emo" is my favorite. And I didn't even know it!

Fuck genres and fuck this poll. I like music myself. Some of you guys love to subdivide the music YOU like into tiny little sub-genres. ("Are you retarded? That's 'Trance', not 'Hard Trance'. 'Trance' blows.") Then you lump everything you don't like into one big genre. ("Dwight Yoakam? What's next...Toby Keith?") How about actually developing a critical thought for yourself? How about judging music on it's own merits (or lack of) instead of what the band looks like in their Teen Beat centerfold?

Best part about getting old is you stop giving a fuck about what other people think and start seeing the world as it really is.

yeah listen to all the music you want, no problem.
but again "post-grunge" or nu metal>>>>bands like mcr, fall out boy, panic at the disco, etc (and i only wrote this 3 bands because they´re the most representative of this shit)

TheWatcher
03-11-2008, 09:55 AM
The artists in your "nu-R&B" genre are at lest respectable.

Well, they are one of the reasons I stopped watching anything on TV having to do with music, and stopped listening to certain radio stations. At one point everywhere I went I had to hear this music, and it was pretty bad. Even in the grocery stores or at a restaurant, they would play the same songs over and over and over.

Thank god for Napster, or I would have given up on music entirely.

TheWatcher
03-11-2008, 10:06 AM
I know this sounds stupid, and I know "everyone" hates Nickelback, but I just don't think they are as bad as the other groups lumped into the "post-grunge" category. What is it that makes them so hated?

The other bands in this category have no soul at all to their music, it's just.. dead. No feelings expressed. Empty. When I hear Hinder I change the station very quickly.

Also, I do agree that post-grunge is not accurate for bands like Hinder and Creed. As someone pointed out, the Deftones and Korn seem more like what came from grunge.

M Sparks
03-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Can we drop the "post grunge", and change it to "dead souless"? More accurate.

M Sparks
03-11-2008, 11:19 AM
yeah listen to all the music you want, no problem.
but again "post-grunge" or nu metal>>>>bands like mcr, fall out boy, panic at the disco, etc (and i only wrote this 3 bands because they´re the most representative of this shit)

Although I was being hostile, I'm willing to be enlightened. Which bands are "most representative" of "Post Grunge" or "Nu-Metal"? Because it may turn out that I agree with you.

Of the bands listed on this stupid poll, the "emo" bands are the most listenable to me. Korn is the only one of the "nu-metal" bands listed that is anywhere close to good music and, sorry, I'd take MCR over them. Well, the new album anyway. I'd probably pick Korn over their old shit.

So what are these great "post grunge" bands that Nickelback is giving a bad name?

Where do you guys put Avenged Sevenfold...because I'll agree that garbage is awful. To me, they fit in with Korn, but it seems like everyone wants to lump them in with emo. Just the clothes? Stop obsessing over looks.

hypervera
03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
korn>>>>>>>>>>>>>>panic at the disco, mcr, fall out boy

bush or live or collective soul or any band from mid 90's>>>>>>>>>>>panic, mcr, fall out boy

Hawkings
03-20-2008, 01:01 PM
so many genres of suck it was hard to ultimately choose, Creed/Nickleback shite, well done Boourns

Boourns
03-22-2008, 04:40 PM
People are being way too kind to post-grunge and nu-metal. I theorize a lot of people have a bit of a soft spot deep down for that crap since they grew up with it, even if they can't listen to it now.

Suffacated
04-05-2008, 07:35 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KCv2cgIlnHA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KCv2cgIlnHA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

boredofcanada
04-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Trance isn't on there because no one cares about it except a sliver of a sliver of a genre.

yeah, come to miami, where trance is worshipped......

i wouldn't call most of the options genres, i'd call them gimmicks.....what they all have in common is the constant recycling of a bad idea to sell records......

also find it a little unfair to put gangster rap there, cause even though most of it is crap, it was founded by Dr.Dre, one of the legends of hip hop music.....

stinkbutt
04-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Internet songs and people who listen to them without a computer

Boourns
04-07-2008, 01:44 AM
British blue-eyed soul

Shooters08
12-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Out of the options, definitely Christian but where's the option for Happy Hardcore. That stuff just sucks

coldstart
12-16-2008, 05:44 AM
I say fuck gangsta-rap.

All Your Base
12-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Twangy, whiny country. I don't give a fuck how broke your heart is.

boarderwoozel3
12-16-2008, 01:51 PM
The signing in those whiny eyeliner emo bands is unbearable.

See: Warped Tour (R.I.P)

Suffacated
12-18-2008, 05:08 AM
Mexican/polka/tuba noise.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FO_zzQ4Bsac&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FO_zzQ4Bsac&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

coolhandluke
12-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Country, by far. It's the only big genre that I view as dead. It hasn't evolved since the early 80's and that to me is a dead genre. Also there are only 6 topics for country to talk about and I have NEVER heard (unless it's by Outlaw Country artists such as Cash, Nelson, ect).
1. Drinking and getting dumped for drinking.
2. Patriot songs
3. Complete fucking random shit (i.e Honkey Tonk Budunka donk, She Thinks My tractors sexy)
4. Their pet (Horse, Dog usually)
5. Their Truck
6. Falling in hillybilly love.

indietron
12-22-2008, 01:42 AM
Everytime that Nickelback commercial comes on I feel like ripping out my eardrums.

coldstart
12-22-2008, 01:44 AM
Wait, you guys are considering Nickelback music?

indietron
12-22-2008, 01:47 AM
Hahaha.

What were we thinking?!

Sleepingrock
12-29-2008, 01:19 PM
This might have been the hardest decision of my week, maybe even month D=

Sleepingrock
12-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Yea, Did you know where country is played on the radio more often the suicide rates are higher. No joke i read it in a BOOK !?!?!??!?!

zajaa
02-11-2009, 04:25 PM
so glad to see the results of this poll. nothing worse than nickelback / creed / hinder shit. 'post grunge' sounds pretty accurate to me though (without any offense to actual quality grunge era music)-- it somehow seems to be a bland, processed derivative of grunge music-- the hugeness of the riffs, the generic hoarse voice singer, etc

also, the 2000s post-punk revival brought so, so many good bands to the table that i would vote it the best genre on this poll

obzen
02-11-2009, 05:43 PM
post-grunge doesnt even deserve to have the word grunge in it-it should be called post-shite!:)

gooftroop
02-16-2009, 07:35 PM
"post grunge" simply because this poll has Creed and Nickleback listed under said category.

Even Jesus Hates Creed! I am right folks?

agentapplejuice
02-16-2009, 10:31 PM
I went with grunge, because you have included 3 of the worst bands ever in such category.

ditto.

BKsaysAction!
02-17-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm saying pop punk and Post grunge. because they're oxymorons. Punk was supposed to be against the mainstream and now its mainstream and that post grunge section isn't really even grunge, it's safe clear channel garbage. All i have to say is if you sing about being a rockstar....you're not.

team squirrel
02-17-2009, 01:08 AM
It was difficult to choose between pop country and post-grunge. But I mean..... Nickelback, come on.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W9S5-EB8dR8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W9S5-EB8dR8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Skip to about 1:25...

MissingPerson
02-17-2009, 05:19 AM
Even Jesus Hates Creed! I am right folks?

Dude, even Jesus' hippy Buddhist friend hates Creed...

rage patton
07-20-2010, 10:33 AM
It was difficult to choose between pop country and post-grunge. But I mean..... Nickelback, come on.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W9S5-EB8dR8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W9S5-EB8dR8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Skip to about 1:25...

"IM NOT MUCH OF A DINNER BUYER! GET OUT! GET OUT GET OUT!!!"

I fucking love Henry Rollins.

Gribbz
07-20-2010, 10:52 AM
I see no option for Dub Step.

CellarOwl
07-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Pop Country, Post-Grunge and Christian don't really seem all that far removed from each other.

djandrews25
07-20-2010, 04:43 PM
I see no option for Dub Step.

I bet if someone did the poll again, dubstep would definitely be in the running for worst genre.

canexplain
07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
I guess I have missed this post. I was just thinking of course jam and prog would be choices................... Lolz, I really wasn't up to defending them .... .............I am going to vote for gang-sta rap ....

SoulDischarge
07-21-2010, 07:10 PM
No one is that oblivious. Are they?

algunz
07-21-2010, 07:31 PM
"IM NOT MUCH OF A DINNER BUYER! GET OUT! GET OUT GET OUT!!!"

I fucking love Henry Rollins.

Pissing in the Gene Pool

JamesMills
07-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Wooow, can't believe only 10 votes for pop-punk.

wscmx13
07-21-2010, 11:58 PM
you had me at "panic"

lunatic core
07-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Had to vote Christian because its not even a real genre. Its just a collection of white washed derivatives bought and made for all the wrong reasons.

jimmycrackcorn
02-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Had to go with other since cuntry wasn't an option

that is the correct spelling...

NachoCat
02-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Whatever mumford and sons is. That one.

heyeric
02-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Had to vote Christian because its not even a real genre. Its just a collection of white washed derivatives bought and made for all the wrong reasons.

Although your post is really old, here's some Christian music for you. The singer is a Pastor at a Church in Redlands, CA.

k5keUYgcEak

ramblinon
02-11-2011, 03:14 PM
^^ Yeah, having grown up evangelical, I've heard a lot of Christian music over the years... and yeah, I've heard a lot of derivative crap, but I've also heard some really good stuff, much of which I listen to to this day when I get in a particular mood, even as an agnostic. It's silly and pretty arrogant to pigeonhole all music made by people who attain to a religion that represents 3/4ths of the US population.

FTR, I would rather listen to 80% of the "artists" on that poll than your average dub-step mix.

juloxx
02-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Why isnt Dub-step on this?

ramblinon
02-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Beat you by two minutes. :)

frizzlefry
02-16-2011, 07:45 PM
I chose post grunge because anything with Nickelback loses, unless its a poll like this, in that case it wins

aB9010
02-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Why isnt Dub-step on this?
Yeah, I was expecting to see Dub-Step on the list too!
Dub-Step:poo

Sublime
03-24-2011, 12:43 PM
happy hardcore makes me want to murder

artisticcreator
03-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Tough choice between Country, Gangsta Rap.

Both are slow and boring!

The BPM of the music you prefer to listen to is half of your IQ!

Exoskeletal
03-28-2011, 02:02 PM
What makes my ears bleed more, Creed or ICP?

Hmm...I'll go...ICP

neis218
03-29-2011, 05:11 PM
I wish i could pick more than one hard to pick one when theirs lots of shitty ones.

DogBisquit
04-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Hair Metal

I broke it off with my last girlfriend because she wanted to go to the Big 4 instead of Coachella.

Other answer would be opera.

ods..
04-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Gotta go post-grunge. There's at least a sense of fun and/or stupid catchiness in everything else.

I don't consider "Christian" a genre, because they have music of every genre.

Honestly, Gangster Rap is probably the worst, but I like a lot of the old-school stuff.

this pretty much sums up my thought process. nickelback is what sealed the deal.

getbetter
04-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Dubstep

elChurro
05-01-2011, 12:14 AM
I'ma go with all of thee above.

Grandma
05-01-2011, 01:07 AM
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42775&highlight=beat

xuclarockerx
10-29-2012, 11:41 AM
art rock

Shoulda Named Ya Laika
11-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Metalcore and deathcore need to be options.

Doses_On_Sunday#K.C.
12-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Where the fuck is Dub-step at on this list???

grannock
12-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Dubstep is nu metal

xuclarockerx
01-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Sabbath was nu metal

latexsolarbeef
01-09-2013, 04:01 PM
The fact that Stagecoach soils the hallowed Polo grounds 1 FUCKING WEEK! after the perfection of Coachella has to skyrocket that brainless "Pop/Country" shit right to the top of the list. I wish a horrible stomach virus on Toby Keith nearly every single day

eddiebrock
01-09-2013, 04:27 PM
wont stand for the 50 cent slander. doesnt deserve for his name to be amongst a name like chingy (who isnt gangtsa rap to begin with)

Ht_5PBV30K4

SONR801
01-09-2013, 06:38 PM

this.

thetello
01-09-2013, 10:28 PM

that's the point, no?

eddiebrock
01-10-2013, 02:01 AM
first rave i went to angerfist headlined. got pepper sprayed while caught in the middle of a moshpit, crazy stuff. overall was a good time, but yeah shit music.

Zafocaine
02-20-2013, 11:49 AM
You forgot GarbStep. In fact, this is a totally biased poll. Why are there seven options for rock music, with only one option for hip hop, one option for country/ western, and one option for everything else? Pretty sad display of musical consciousness.

Zafocaine
02-20-2013, 11:52 AM
The fact that Stagecoach soils the hallowed Polo grounds 1 FUCKING WEEK! after the perfection of Coachella has to skyrocket that brainless "Pop/Country" shit right to the top of the list. I wish a horrible stomach virus on Toby Keith nearly every single day

You give him too much credit. I haven't heard that name, or country music in general, in months. Nothing is deserving of so much hate if you can ignore it for months on end lol though I do agree about the Stagecoach soiling. At least it has all those months in between to recover. Coachella to Stagecoach is like that waited all year for a hot chic. Got the hot chic. Banged her the next weekend. Then fucked some dog of a bitch when she started fucking every other guy around the world, scarring him into waiting for a hot chic to fuck with. Full circle.

welgo800
02-20-2013, 11:53 AM
i'm pretty sure grinderman falls under post grunge which is voted as the worst genre by all of you

Zafocaine
02-20-2013, 12:06 PM
All of us voted on the same thing? On my screen it looks like each category has many votes by different people. Out of curiousity... Is this the height of your intelligence? Google post-grunge, in case you're as lost as your post is leading me to believe.

welgo800
02-20-2013, 03:00 PM
All of us voted on the same thing? On my screen it looks like each category has many votes by different people. Out of curiousity... Is this the height of your intelligence? Google post-grunge, in case you're as lost as your post is leading me to believe.

you DID all vote on the same thing...worst genre of music...and guess what....post grunge is winning.

you like think you are so smart and find some sort of loop hole to prove YOUR point. and you throw miniscule insults my way trying to belittle me...HA!!! i laugh not with you BUT at you you small minded raciset bastard

my point is....of the catagories that were voted on ginderman falls into the catagory of the winning topic (if you like grinderman that's not such a good thing in this case)

moron

Zafocaine
02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Lol... raciset. My entire posting history here has been substantiated by the single giggle I got from this guy. Love it.

welgo800
02-20-2013, 04:41 PM
just spreading the love

TomAz
02-20-2013, 07:38 PM
go fuck yourself..

welgo800
02-20-2013, 07:40 PM
nice tom, glad to see you are still in your rut of lack luster insults

BROKENDOLL
02-24-2013, 09:24 PM
I sure as fuck would like to find the loop hole that makes me think I'm like, so smart.