MassiveChemicalPunk
03-07-2008, 03:39 PM
"One of the best" may be more accurate.

Somewhat Damaged
03-07-2008, 03:41 PM
No, he's right. THE BEST.

amyzzz
03-07-2008, 03:51 PM
argh. I can't wait until I can get home and listen to it.

PassiveTheory
03-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Probably is... ... ... Damnit, the temptation NOT to download it is really getting to me...

amyzzz
03-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm buying it next month anyway. I might buy a few copies so they'll play here someday. If only I could buy like 5,000 copies or something.

wmgaretjax
03-07-2008, 03:53 PM
nah. The Excepter, My Cat is an Alien, and Pruient/Drumm albums are all better.

MassiveChemicalPunk
03-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Dude, just download it. U wont regret it. This doesnt mean u wont purchase the album when it comes out. I know I will.

whynotsmile99
03-07-2008, 03:55 PM
i'll ask this again here since the other thread was deleted:

How safe is downloading from Rapidshare, Megaupload and other sites like those? Both in terms of viruses and RIAA tracking shit

MassiveChemicalPunk
03-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I've downloaded a couple times from Zshare. In fact, when I get an album from the dude with the Mp3 blog, I use Zshare. Never had a problem.

Regarding RIAA.... i really don't know about that. Never cared about it cause Im not in the US

wmgaretjax
03-07-2008, 03:57 PM
i'll ask this again here since the other thread was deleted:

How safe is downloading from Rapidshare, Megaupload and other sites like those? Both in terms of viruses and RIAA tracking shit

safe. virus check compressed folders.

orbit
03-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Not the best album but it's really good. And even though that copy is a transcode with cuts and not good sound quality. I love the analog sounds in it.

clumsy342
03-07-2008, 05:30 PM
I respectfully disagree with the title of this thread.

The vocals do not fit with the music. At all.

It's like the band recorded some songs and said:
"Hey, do you think you could just.. sing over this?"

Now it may not ALL be like that, but that's mostly what I'm hearing.

And what happend to her BIG voice? Why so quiet and subdued?

The music is pretty fucking cool though.

karecares
03-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Listening now and really into it. i will be buying the album anyway so i feel no guilt

rage patton
03-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Magic Doors is fucking amazing.

faxman75
03-07-2008, 05:39 PM
My ignorance is glaring here. Ahh the new portishead. Thank you.

karecares
03-07-2008, 05:40 PM
i got all confused in my head for a sec in the beginning of third when the guy is speaking Portuguese i couldnt figure out what language it was right away (i'm brazilian)

amyzzz
03-07-2008, 05:52 PM
I call it her witchy voice--the voiice she uses in "Elysium" and "Seven Months."

clumsy342
03-07-2008, 06:18 PM
I call it her witchy voice--the voiice she uses in "Elysium" and "Seven Months."

I fucking love "seven months".

But shit like.. "all mine" and I don't know.. every other Portishead song with strong vocals.

rage patton
03-07-2008, 06:21 PM
I fucking love "seven months".

But shit like.. "all mine" and I don't know.. every other Portishead song with strong vocals.

Did you not listen to Magic Doors? Her strong voice is certainly ON with that song. I think that song may be a contender for my favorite Portishead song...
But I do know what you mean.

menikmati
03-07-2008, 06:26 PM
That guy from Portishead wants to kill every one of you.

clumsy342
03-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Did you not listen to Magic Doors? Her strong voice is certainly ON with that song. I think that song may be a contender for my favorite Portishead song...
But I do know what you mean.

Yeah, I actually listened to it again when I saw that you said it was really good. And yeah, it's definitely one of my favorites so far.

She seems to carry the same kind of rythem from song to song. Hard to explain in writing but.. each line kind of ends on a "downbeat". ? I dont know.
And I dont wanna totally rag on the album. Like I said the music is pretty goddamn cool, sounds really good.

rage patton
03-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Machine Gun is going to be SO loud live.

PassiveTheory
03-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Okay I've given in and downloaded it.

Currently, Silence is melting my fucking brain as I'm typing this.

amyzzz
03-07-2008, 07:16 PM
can someone PM it it to me?

JSam67
03-07-2008, 07:19 PM
After one listen, it's right up there with "Oracular Spectacular" for me, and will probably gain on it the more I listen to it. Freaking amazing.

PassiveTheory
03-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Check your PM box.

rage patton
03-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I guess she has two PMs of it then haha.

amyzzz
ok, stop pm-ing.

JSam67
Nope. 3 lol

PassiveTheory
03-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Hahahahah.

amyzzz
03-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm listening to Silence, and it sounds like 2 songs are playing at the same time.

karecares
03-07-2008, 07:39 PM
i got all confused in my head for a sec in the beginning of third when the guy is speaking Portuguese i couldnt figure out what language it was right away (i'm brazilian)

i need to stop drinking and typing... beginning of silence

this is going to take a few listens to really have a favorite yet but damn i'm impressed as an overall album

amyzzz
03-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm really liking Nylon Smile so far.

rage patton
03-07-2008, 07:45 PM
I liked it the first time. But I REALLY liked it the second time. The second listen made it sound like it all came together. I think this is an album that will continuously get better after each listen.

amyzzz
03-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks, guys, btw. You're really quick on the draw.

JSam67
03-07-2008, 07:49 PM
It is definitely even better on the 2nd listen for me too. Didn't think it was possible to be more excited to see Portishead than I already was but I was very wrong.

Wheres the beef?
03-07-2008, 07:50 PM
WTF is "Third"?

R3d Snapper
03-07-2008, 08:18 PM
WTF is "Third"?

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/7098/portisheadbp6.jpg

Tylerdurden31
03-07-2008, 08:44 PM

Did you feed us tales of deceit,
Conceal the tongues who need to speak?

that voice?

amyzzz
03-07-2008, 08:47 PM
YES. (for me anyway)

thelastgreatman
03-07-2008, 10:10 PM
"Silence" was better as "Wicca" on the boot from ATP. I'm hoping this is an incomplete recording, not fully mastered yet. 'Cause at ATP it sounded better, and became one of my favorite Portis songs instantly.

Wheres the beef?
03-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Speaking of Portishead recordings. This one I have.......Sour Times is this crazy alternate version or something. It sounds nothing like the studio version.

PassiveTheory
03-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Speaking of Portishead recordings. This one I have.......Sour Times is this crazy alternate version or something. It sounds nothing like the studio version.

Is it acoustic?

Daft Fro
03-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Third.

Wow.

Its solid. Its psychedelic.

We Carry On
Machine Gun
Small
Magic Doors...

Re: Third is Currently the Best Album of 2008

I concur.

Saturday is going to be so epic.

pinguinotonto
03-07-2008, 11:37 PM
We Carry On, and Magic Doors are my favorite.

gmoneyak
03-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Fuck.. Now I'm too intrigued about it.

woogie846
03-07-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm not gonna spoil the suprise, so I'm just gonna wait this one out until the release date.

betao
03-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey gang, hate to be late to the party on this as well, but could someone PM me the d/l link as well? Much appreciated.

EDIT: ok, received, so go ahead and cease fire with the PMs.

clumsy342
03-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Did you feed us tales of deceit,
Conceal the tongues who need to speak?

that voice?

Haha.. nicely done.
Yeah, that Eartha Kitt-ish (haha..Eartha Kitt-y?) thing is awesome.
But I'm talking more about letting her vocals be at the forefront.
She really carries the other songs. Here, it's like she's tagging along.
i.e. Machine Gun and We Carry On (although the music is great)

I'm trying to have a more open mind. ("Plastic" is crrrrrazy)
Still can't wait to see them. It's gonna be SO dramatic!

gmoneyak
03-08-2008, 01:46 AM
Hey gang, hate to be late to the party on this as well, but could someone PM me the d/l link as well? Much appreciated.

EDIT: ok, received, so go ahead and cease fire with the PMs.

You can throw one my way instead..

bmack86
03-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Jim is better.

Cpt. Funkaho
03-08-2008, 03:19 AM
I'm six tracks in... may be their best album yet. I cannot wait to hear "We Carry On" live.

EDIT: I hadn't even heard "Machine Gun" yet. Oh man.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-08-2008, 07:11 AM
I am going to wait and buy it....I don't think I have ever download a album before its actually release....

thelastgreatman
03-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Anyone else think that this isn't entirely mastered yet? Maybe it's just the low bitrate quality of the torrent I downloaded or my incredibly shitty speakers, but this just doesn't sound as good as a Portis LP usually does. All Tomorrow's Parties boot of "wicca" vs. Silence in particular seems like it's not as finished as it should be.

JSam67
03-08-2008, 07:47 AM
I think the released album will be of higher quality, but I don't think it's glaringly unmastered either. Tough to tell for me though, because I too have speakers that aren't worth a shit. The album is still fucking incredible though, it's not as good as "Dummy" but I already like it more than the self-titled.

thelastgreatman
03-08-2008, 07:48 AM
I never really listened to their LPs, just the Roseland album, because all the trip-fiends I knew back in Jersey all went to that show on acid and mescaline and came back calling it the best thing ever in history.

And I'm willing to believe they were right.

STALINZZZ
03-08-2008, 10:44 AM
After one listen, it's right up there with "Oracular Spectacular" for me, and will probably gain on it the more I listen to it. Freaking amazing.

Oracular Spectacular has the same release problem that In Rainbows has. I guess it's not necessarily a problem, but it was digitally released in 2007 and released on CD in 2008. When we have our "List the best albums of 2008" thread MGMT and Radiohead will be listed in some lists and omitted from others because they listed them in 2007.

STALINZZZ
03-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Anyone else think that this isn't entirely mastered yet? Maybe it's just the low bitrate quality of the torrent I downloaded or my incredibly shitty speakers, but this just doesn't sound as good as a Portis LP usually does. All Tomorrow's Parties boot of "wicca" vs. Silence in particular seems like it's not as finished as it should be.

It is not completely mastered. You are right. That in combination with the low bitrate makes for poor sound quality.

summerkid
03-08-2008, 10:59 AM
I am going to wait and buy it....I don't think I have ever download a album before its actually release....

I normally don't either but since the album won't be available to buy until after Coachella I went ahead and downloaded it because I want to hear and know the new songs before I see them.

orbit
03-08-2008, 11:10 AM
It is not completely mastered. You are right. That in combination with the low bitrate makes for poor sound quality.

This rip was deleted from the trackers because of its poor quality and sudden cuts.

STALINZZZ
03-08-2008, 11:12 AM
huh...so it was. It's still on that KOKORO blog though.

bballarl
03-08-2008, 11:37 AM
It is good, but not the best album of 08.

clumsy342
03-08-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't think it sounds "unmastered" at all.

People said the same thing about 'In Rainbows'...
(By the way.. "House of Cards" is my favorite Jack Johnson song)

STALINZZZ
03-08-2008, 12:11 PM
It is unmastered. This is not a matter of opinion and is not up for argument.

thelastgreatman
03-08-2008, 12:51 PM
It reminds me of the leak of Fiona's Extraordinary Machine. Well, not so much hum. But clearly unmastered.

STALINZZZ
03-08-2008, 12:54 PM
"Small" is the best track on the album.

superfiction
03-08-2008, 10:00 PM
this blows in rainbows out of the water

bmack86
03-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Jim is better.

superfiction
03-08-2008, 11:44 PM
It is unmastered. This is not a matter of opinion and is not up for argument.

agreed

Boourns
03-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Really digging it. Definitely better than anything else out this year so far.

paulb
03-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Im feelin the music on the cd alot...

amyzzz
03-09-2008, 12:56 AM
I liked it a lot the first 2 times I listened to it, and then I listened to some of it on acid, and it kinda freaked me out because it was so spooky and she's singing so airy-fairy and off-key-ish. I'll have to come back to it.

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 04:31 AM
this blows in rainbows out of the water

Sorry, but no. Just not true.

Will this affect a decision whether or not to take acid at their Coachella set? Or it it too early to make recommendations?

Listen, taking acid for Sunday's Waters set is not even a question. And believe me I KNOW how amazing Portis and acid are--there are half a dozen friends of mine who were dosing hard during their famous Roseland show and will say to this day that it's one of their most spectacular experiences ever...

But we're talking about the single biggest, most extravagant Pink Floyd production since "pink floyd" last toured in 1994. This shit is the holy grail of acid-concert experiences we're lucky enough to be granted. Wasting doses on Postishead--as awesome as it would be--when you have the granddaddy creator of trippy concerts playing the next day to a degree he hasn't approached in magnitude since the few legendary The Wall performances in Berlin in 1980... well...

Look, all I'm saying is we owe Roger Waters a ridiculous amount of credi for what makes some shows fantastic to trip at today. More credit than I think any of us could imagine. Was ANYONE doing conceptual, visually stimulating concerts with symbolism and significance like Floyd did during the Waters-led era before them? Not to my knowledge.

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 06:03 AM
I'm saying it again--Portishead and Kraftwerk are too powerful and unique to give up to just ecstasy. Something else--mescaline, 2-cb, 2-ci, AMT, or any other appropriately music-enhancing combination of body, mental, emotional, and visual trip should be employed for Saturday. Straight up rolls we can do Friday just to start the weekend off, but Portis is far too otherworldly and powerful of an experience to strictly roll for. Bjork was fine as a roll night--but Bjork despite her thorough greatness is still nothing compared to the emotional purity of 50 percent of the Portishead set list we're likely to hear.

brando4n82
03-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Jim is better.

are you referring to Jamie Lidell?

is that album floating around yet???

oh and about THIRD, the vocals are fucking god awful!!!

i was really digging the instrumentaion, but fuck i cant stand the vocals, it ruins everything

brando4n82
03-09-2008, 06:57 AM

YES. I Could not agree more with this. Well Put

Astrid
03-09-2008, 07:23 AM
okay. i saw this thread last night. practically shat my drunk ass pants because i got so excited. downloaded a torrent even though i could very likely get kicked off my schools internet. listened to it twice last night while i was drunk, not impressed, listening to it now drunk, not impressed. perhaps sober sunday will do the trick...?

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 07:44 AM
You have to remember, rolling for me is more of a vacation than a regularity. But the one time I took mdma and 2-cb simultaneously, my world was fucked beyond belief audio/visually as well as emotionally. I'd love to re-create that feeling for Portishead this year, but damn, that was the most intense drug experience I've ever had. I'd have to really prepare. And I'd be worried that I wouldn't be ready to bounce back for a trip on Sunday, though I love being able to come down and sleep no probs with the 2-cb, so maybe that would be a non-issue...

De-hijack: Still love this album!

MDMA and 2-CB are a cocktail handed down by God himself, it's true. I think that'd be a brilliant way to handle the Portishead situation except that this still leaves a need for a third substance for Friday appropriate to the lineup. I decided E would probably be my Friday drug because at this point it's just the standard concert fare. Never produces any kind of psychological bodyload and the actual bodyload hangover effects can be easily remedied with 5-HTP or Wellbutrin taken before bed and a handful of Xanax or other benzo to insure at least 6 hours of truly restful sleep preferably as soon as the roll is coming to an end. E stopped being anything near transcendent for me like 9 years ago--now it's just automatic increased appreciation for the sonic, emotional, and rhythmic elements of whatever music is being blasted. Oh, and a lot of vomiting. Always some vomiting. But JJ deserves the vomit night.

I still don't think I have any urge to do mushrooms any of the nights unless no other option presents itself. As much as I love them, they're just too much gastro-intestinal work and don't have as strong of an aural stimulation as a lot of these other psychoactives. If mescaline does prove to be available, that's gonna be tough. I think I'll have to do it Saturday since Saturday's the most consistent lineup and it'll give me enough time to fight off the nausea and still trip for 8 hours straight. Portishead is a big enough deal to warrant dropping the very last hallucinogen I have yet to conquer on--I can only hope that it will meld properly with the stimulus. If not, 2-cb, with or without MDMA as well, would definitely fulfill the need. It certainly made In Rainbows the kind of heart-breakingly beautiful experience that Beth Gibbons is going to inflict on me.

To those of you unimpressed by the leak: it's not mastered, guys. Bet you 1000 bucks. PM me for the All Tomorrow's Parties set and you'll see why some of these songs are going to fucking slay.

Plus, frankly, Portishead's LPs were never perfect works, not really close. They were both half good tracks, which made for one perfect live album. Silence (the live version) is at the very top of the list of all their songs without a doubt though.

amyzzz
03-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Believe me, if I could get 2ci, I'd do it for Portishead, but I don't see that happening. I'm still tripping on acid for Portishead. As it stands now, I will be tripping for Portishead, and Jacob will be tripping for Roger Waters (so we have a driver each night).

Listening to Portishead right now, and it sounds good again.

bmack86
03-09-2008, 11:00 AM
are you referring to Jamie Lidell?

is that album floating around yet???

I am indeed. It's floating around, and Lidell's gotten serious. The album rips, kicks, snorts and grooves. It's awesome, in other words.

I like the Portishead album quite a bit, but Jim is fantastic.

Aphxtwinin
03-09-2008, 11:05 AM
pretty awesome cd....makes me very excited for Caturday! love machine guns...that bass is gonna be crazy!

microserfs21
03-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Can someone shoot me a pm, please?

Sushov23
03-09-2008, 10:34 PM
wait Jamie Lidell's album is better than Third? WOW, I need a PM of this new album.

superfiction
03-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Sorry, but no. Just not true.

i jsut dont get the hype around in rainbows. i mean. i really like radiohead. but that album was so forgetable to me. and everyone was like OH MY GOD SO INNOVATIVE. and it just sounds like a tired version of everything else theyve done to me

IdiotequeThom
03-09-2008, 11:09 PM
sorry I'm so late to the Third party. can someone please provide a link or send me a pm?

dnham
03-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Machine Gun kicks so much ass.

rage patton
03-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Just curious... does any have the setlist for the shows they did in December?

denies the day
03-10-2008, 11:34 PM
This album is growing on me very nicely. Threads, Machine Gun, Nylon Smile and We Carry On are all sooo good. This will sound incredible on the polo fields but I really hope they only sprinkle a few new songs and stick to their first two albums.

I don't use torrents so I wound up copping the tracks individually but some of them end very abruptly, namely Hunter, Small and Silence. Did this happen to anyone else?

fikus222
03-10-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm still waiting for the album to grow on me, which I am sure it will...but my first impression is that they have regressed.

msklvr
03-10-2008, 11:52 PM
This album is growing on me very nicely. Threads, Machine Gun, Nylon Smile and We Carry On are all sooo good. This will sound incredible on the polo fields but I really hope they only sprinkle a few new songs and stick to their first two albums.

I don't use torrents so I wound up copping the tracks individually but some of them end very abruptly, namely Hunter, Small and Silence. Did this happen to anyone else?

Yes.

msklvr
03-10-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm still waiting for the album to grow on me, which I am sure it will...but my first impression is that they have regressed.

No, no. Progressed.

thelastgreatman
03-11-2008, 05:01 AM
Setlist from All Tomorrow's Parties:

Silence (originally called Wicca)
Hunter
Mysterons
Mystic
Glory Box
Numb
Wandering Star
Machine Gun
Over
Sour Times
Only You
Cowboys

Encore
Roads
We Carry On (originally called Peaches)

amyzzz
03-11-2008, 05:11 AM
Where's that "We Carry On" youtube from, if not from ATP?

thelastgreatman
03-11-2008, 05:23 AM
A lot of the titles assigned to the songs from ATP seem to have changed--"Peaches" is actually We Carry On.

thestripe
03-11-2008, 05:32 AM
The youtube clips of the new songs are getting me pretty excited for their performance at Coachella.

thelastgreatman
03-11-2008, 05:33 AM
Damn skippy.

(yes, you're all welcome for me making that delightful thread)

JSam67
03-11-2008, 06:40 AM

Hunter
Mysterons
Mystic
Glory Box
Numb
Wandering Star
Machine Gun
Over
Sour Times
Only You
Cowboys

Encore
Roads

Jebus, that's a great setlist! Add "Strangers" for their Coachella setlist and game/set/match for me.

thelastgreatman
03-11-2008, 07:09 AM
You're forgetting All Mine. That is ESSENTIAL. I'll be so upset if it's not played at Coach.

TomAz
03-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Distortion is the best 08 album I've heard so far.

amyzzz
03-11-2008, 10:27 AM
I hope the set is longer at Coachella. That seems a little short and heavy on the singles. I'd like some other tracks like "Half Day Closing," "Seven Months," and "Western Eyes" in there. And "All Mine" of course. Oh and maybe "It Could Be Sweet." Holy shit, I love this band.

thelastgreatman
03-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Oh yeah, good point--Half Day is so necessary it's not even funny. They should just do the Roseland set plus four of the new songs from ATP.

nationocean
03-11-2008, 10:40 AM
I hope the set is longer at Coachella. That seems a little short and heavy on the singles. I'd like some other tracks like "Half Day Closing," "Seven Months," and "Western Eyes" in there. And "All Mine" of course. Oh and maybe "It Could Be Sweet." Holy shit, I love this band.

Those would be nice additions to the set list :)

nationocean
03-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Oh and Portishead is the best thing coming to Coachella this year. Srsly.

JSam67
03-11-2008, 11:27 AM
That's a 14 song setlist. I hope we get more, but I doubt we get much more. Not with Kraftwerk looming afterwards (presumably). If we did though, I'd definitely hope it'd be along the lines of "All Mine," "Half Day Closing" and "Strangers."

thelastgreatman
03-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Oh, and they should just fucking ditch Sour Times. There, I said it. I'd rather have All Mine or Half Day Closing than that by far.

JSam67
03-11-2008, 12:21 PM
I love Sour Times. But I fear the off-pitch crowd singing "nobody loves meeeee..." And that will totally disrupt what I hope to be the Portishead crowd vibe: no talking, minimal singing...just silence and awe, like what I've seen of the Roseland audience.

thelastgreatman
03-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah, that's gonna be the real shame of the show. The Roseland audience was so fucking perfect. Utter respect and decorum. If people don't stay shut the fuck up during their set it's going to be bad bad bad...

amyzzz
03-11-2008, 01:09 PM
They should ditch Sour Times if they're planning to do some silly remix. It's the original or nothing, baby.

bballarl
03-11-2008, 02:00 PM
They need to play "Humming".

i_like_cake530
03-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Check your PM box.

wow, please PM it to me also...

msklvr
03-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Oh, and they should just fucking ditch Sour Times. There, I said it. I'd rather have All Mine or Half Day Closing than that by far.

I dislike that one song. I did not like it when they played it on the radio. I still skip it when it comes on. I always wanted to make a cover of that song that did not suck so I would like it more. Anything but Sour Times.

corbo
03-11-2008, 05:02 PM
someone PM me the link pleez.
ive got the album and its great but some tracks cut off.

rage patton
03-11-2008, 05:06 PM

Hunter
Mysterons
Mystic
Glory Box
Numb
Wandering Star
Machine Gun
Over
Sour Times
Only You
Cowboys

Encore
Roads

No All Mine? Seven Months? Elysium? Besides that, its an excellent set list. But those are 3 of my fav Portishead songs. If anything though, I hope they play All Mine. I would kill to hear them play that.
I wonder how long their set at Coachella will be? Im guessing somewhere between 75-90minutes.

goatparade
03-11-2008, 05:24 PM
I've been lovin' the rip

msklvr
03-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Don't know if this has been discussed anywhere, but I found it over on the "P" boards. It's the translation of the Spanish language intro before Silence.

"Be aware of the rules of 3.
What you give will come back at you.
This lesson you must learn.
You only get what you deserve."

They discussed it there, if any want to check it out. I agree with the tie in with Wicca. I wonder why the name was changed from Wicca to Silence. It seems like Wicca would've been just right for the track especially with that intro. Beth maybe didn't want to answer a bunch of religious questions?

STALINZZZ
03-12-2008, 11:21 PM

Hunter
Mysterons
Mystic
Glory Box
Numb
Wandering Star
Machine Gun
Over
Sour Times
Only You
Cowboys

Encore
Roads

The version of Roads from ATP pisses me off. I hope they play the real version at Coachella.

Boourns
03-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Add "Strangers" and "Elysium" to the ATP setlist and it will be the greatest Coachella set ever.

breakjaw
03-13-2008, 05:26 AM
If I was a kid (say PT) into EDM.I'd say it was imperative to be at Coachella this year.This new Portishead is stellar,and Aphex Twin,well.that's pretty fuckin' rare...

HunterGather
03-13-2008, 09:36 AM

Someone finally put into words what I'm thinking!
It's a great album, but not the best.
Some songs don't mesh well (vocals+music).
I guess I sorta expected them to re hash the same sound again, but I am kinda (pleasantly?) surprised its different. They're rocking out a big more, which will make for a greater live performance..

Silence is killer!
And Machine Gun is ace! The old horror movie-esque synth that comes in towards the end of the song is amazing.

But I think the best track on the album is We Carry On.

thelastgreatman
03-13-2008, 09:38 AM
It's not mastered, I'm pretty sure that's why the vocals are weak.

HunterGather
03-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Thats what I heard too...
Hopefully the guitars n bass for SILENCE will be brought up more.

amyzzz
03-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Don't know if this has been discussed anywhere, but I found it over on the "P" boards. It's the translation of the Spanish language intro before Silence.

"Be aware of the rules of 3.
What you give will come back at you.
This lesson you must learn.
You only get what you deserve."

They discussed it there, if any want to check it out. I agree with the tie in with Wicca. I wonder why the name was changed from Wicca to Silence. It seems like Wicca would've been just right for the track especially with that intro. Beth maybe didn't want to answer a bunch of religious questions?
Back in the day, Beth never did interviews. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

thelastgreatman
03-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Ha, oh them being pagans would so not be remotely surprising.

PassiveTheory
03-13-2008, 10:11 AM
If I was a kid (say PT) into EDM.I'd say it was imperative to be at Coachella this year.This new Portishead is stellar,and Aphex Twin,well.that's pretty fuckin' rare...

It's imperative to be there every year. =D

msklvr
03-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Back in the day, Beth never did interviews. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Ya know, I am pretty sure you are right. I remember Geoff and Adrian doing chats with press, but never Beth.

She doesn't even post on the Portishead message boards, but the others do.

Does anyone have any opinion as to why they would change the name of Wicca then? Hmmmmmmmmm?

thelastgreatman
03-13-2008, 10:36 AM
If they are pagans--although I really hope they're not actually Wiccans, ugh--I'd say it falls into the realm of inappropriateness to name a song after your spirituality.

msklvr
03-13-2008, 10:38 AM

Damn skippy. I was thinking about going to Stagecoach and sleeping on the grass all day with my headphones on - just to be on the fields. But some asshat in a big belt buckle would surely trip over me when he was paying attention to the steel guitar solo instead of watching where he was walking.

bmack86
03-13-2008, 10:48 AM
I bet Stagecoach would be fun, and the audience would be painfully polite until the later evening, when they were drunk and then they'd get extremely friendly. That's what large cowboy gatherings tend to be like.

STALINZZZ
03-13-2008, 11:43 AM

do you have to end everyone of your posts with "=D"? It makes you look like a ***. I am not being mean either. I am just letting you know.

STALINZZZ
03-13-2008, 11:46 AM
I bet Stagecoach would be fun, and the audience would be painfully polite until the later evening, when they were drunk and then they'd get extremely friendly. That's what large cowboy gatherings tend to be like.

no way. I went to country jam in grand junction, colorado and people are just as drunk during the day as they are at night and just as rowdy. It seems like everyone wants to get in a fight. During the three days I was at country jam I was punched in the face by a girl and almost got into a fight with a mentally handicap persons keeper.

PassiveTheory
03-13-2008, 12:15 PM
do you have to end everyone of your posts with "=D"? It makes you look like a ***. I am not being mean either. I am just letting you know.

Right, clearly there's a PM function for no reason.

bmack86
03-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Maybe it's just small town cowboy gatherings then. I'm from a ranch town, and that's how the big, townwide gatherings would always happen. At least until the guy in his BMW would drive up and want to take pictures of all the cowfolk.

fikus222
03-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Someone finally put into words what I'm thinking!
It's a great album, but not the best.
Some songs don't mesh well (vocals+music).

I agree, imo the only thing Portishead about this album is Beth's voice and the lyrical themes. I just can't get excited about bass lines that were kicking around in the early '90s Industrial scene. Why put out an album that could have just as easily been out in '94 ?

amyzzz
03-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Maybe the real album will sound more put together, although I do agree that the vocals are a bit weaker than I would have wanted.

STALINZZZ
03-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Right, clearly there's a PM function for no reason.

it's just so much easier to post.

thelastgreatman
03-13-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't get thinking this sounds exceptionally different than previous Portishead. I mean, it's been ten years, I would hope they've changed a little, but it's not far off.

bballarl
03-13-2008, 12:46 PM
It is a move forward. They didn't make the same record as the two prior. But it still maintains the sound they have created. It is a very good album.

thestripe
03-17-2008, 06:30 AM
So I have been listening to Third all weekend. In my opinion it's their most accessible album so far. I'm happy that they have gone in a different direction with this album. I think the new songs are going to make for an exciting set list at Coachella. I actually wouldn’t be that upset if the majority of the songs that they play at Coachella are off Third.

EDIT: Portishead - Portishead is still by far the superior album here, and it's their most accessible. I would be pissed if they didn't play Half Day Closing, All Mine, Cowboy, Only You, Humming, and Undenied. Third is great and all but I really miss stepped with the post above.

crazzz2007
03-17-2008, 05:05 PM
can i a get a PM, please?????

shakermaker113
03-18-2008, 09:47 AM
can someone PM me a link? I never stopped to think what 'Third' meant, so I'm a little late joining this thread.

ghettojournalist
03-18-2008, 07:13 PM
edit: nevermind. there is a whole thread on the box set.

C DUB YA
03-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Third is excellent - done.

Sexecutioner
03-19-2008, 04:54 PM

i got mine off a torrent site, and silence and small both end abruptly on mine too. does every version do this, or just some? if there is a complete version, can somebody pm me a link?

thanks.

wmgaretjax
03-19-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm still lukewarm on this album. It's terribly produced, or maybe I'm just missing something. I like a couple of the tunes. I've only given it two good listens though.

nationocean
03-19-2008, 05:13 PM
College Music Journalism 101:

Deep Water – The hurricane force of the first half of the album calms for this breezy and vulnerable ditty. Just a ukulele accompanies Beth’s quivering voice as she sings some really heart felt lyrics. If I may say so myself, the best on the entire record; “Try not to struggle this time/For I will weather the storm” and then this gem “Got to remember/don’t fight it/Even if I don’t like it/Somehow turn me around” “No matter how far I drift, deep waters won’t scare me tonight” This song is so enduring and beautiful it’s hard not to be affected and take it with you through your own stormy life.

nationocean
03-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh and this one! lol

Threads – As the albums closer, it feels more familiar. Beth reveals to us like a lover; “I’m always so unsure” A statement you can make about how this album feels, how their music doesn’t quite fit in to anything, maybe because the counterparts of Portishead never tried to figure anything out in their music. It seems more to be like the edges of music, the grey area of song craft that you find what they are all about. As Beth’s whimper turns to a roar the music swells around her. The threads are unspooling all around them. The chaos of the album turns into an eerie drone. A drone that repeats until the hurt and the uncertainty and the grey.. all fades away. The end of the album sticks with you, it is quite powerful and leaves the taste of the rest of the album behind.

NicoDread
03-25-2008, 02:04 AM
I really like "The Rip"

Gyrus
03-25-2008, 03:08 PM
can someone please please please pm me with it :)

I agree, I'll still definitely be buying it, fits in nicely with my 'wall o tunes'
I wonder if they'll press it on vinyl...

amyzzz
03-25-2008, 03:36 PM
search for "portishead box set." Isn't that going to be vinyl?

Boourns
03-25-2008, 04:07 PM
I need to order that box set. Definitely the best album I have heard this year. Absolutely dying to see them at coachella.

superfiction
03-25-2008, 05:47 PM
i got mine off a torrent site, and silence and small both end abruptly on mine too. does every version do this, or just some? if there is a complete version, can somebody pm me a link?

thanks.

mine does this too

Kali27
03-25-2008, 11:09 PM
I didn't know what to think at first... I'm hoping the copy I found is not totally mastered (or that the sound is a lil off) but the more I listen to it, the more I love it...

I cant wait to hear some of them live!!!

superfiction
03-25-2008, 11:20 PM
the leak isnt mastered but its fucking GOOD

orbit
03-25-2008, 11:23 PM
the leak is a horrible transcode. that's why the private trackers deleted it.

msklvr
03-25-2008, 11:25 PM
the leak isnt mastered but its fucking GOOD

It's already one of my favorite albums and I can't even take it out of a case yet. It has all the best qualities of the other two P albums, but it branches out in new directions as well. And, oh, so, tastefully. I previously stated my dislike of "Machine Gun" somewhere around here, and want to take that back. I think it will be awesome live and the studio version is growing on me as well. The mastered version will be sick.

gratytrainridesagain
03-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Nylon Smile FTW

Gyrus
03-28-2008, 04:02 PM
anyone wanna share the love and send it my way?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I am amazed no one has talked about their recent performances in Europe..
I peeked over at the Portishead head message board and found a setlist they did in Berlin. Also found a person or 2 who will be trekking over to Coachella from Europe for Portishead...

http://portishead.forums.umusic.co.uk/t/90.aspx

BTW: the playlist was sth like:

01 Silence
02 Hunter
03 Mysterons
04 The Rip
05 Glory Box
06 Numb
07 Magic Door
08 Wandering Star
09 Machine Gun
10 Over
11 Sour Times
12 Only You
13 Nylon Smile
14 Cowboys
15 Threads
16 Roads
17 We Carry On

...and i think it's the same on all concerts of that tour.

EDIT: Stoked! about them pulling out Wandering Star but still hope they play Strangers at Coachella...

betao
04-05-2008, 06:05 PM
ahhh I want Strangers!!! pleeeeeeeease!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-05-2008, 06:07 PM
ahhh I want Strangers!!! pleeeeeeeease!!

No joke, Strangers is a MUST!!

Sushov23
04-05-2008, 06:28 PM
wandering star, stranger, glory box, sourtimes, cowboys, silence, we carry on are a few of the songs I want at COACHELLA.

thestripe
04-05-2008, 06:31 PM
I dig The Rip. This song is going to be fucking perfect for me.

Sushov23
04-05-2008, 06:37 PM
I also want It Could Be Sweet, I hope they bust that one out.

thelastgreatman
04-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, okay, okay, listen, no matter what this is going to be great and everything... but if All Mine and Half Day Closing don't get played it's going to make me cry for probably the fourth time of the set--the first three all being related to drug-induced moments of unspeakable joy, but then this last one being actual sadness. Those are two of the three best clips from Roseland--why the fuck are they not on the set list?

ORCHESTRA! THERE MUST BE ORCHESTRA!

thestripe
04-05-2008, 06:49 PM
All Mine, Half Day Closing, and Cowboys are a must.

thelastgreatman
04-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Goddammit, thestripe, let's just fuck already and get it over with. You're speaking the language of my heart--and more importantly, scrotum.

bballarl
04-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Make sure it is to the sultry sounds of "Western Eyes".

boredofcanada
04-05-2008, 07:47 PM
third can't be the best album of the year, cause Beach House's "Devotion" has that title.......

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/Saltlick/SXSW%202007/beach_house_cover.jpg

highly recommended......

rage patton
04-06-2008, 12:24 AM
ALL MINE. I would sacrifice any song on that set list just to have All Mine on there.

amyzzz
04-06-2008, 08:17 AM
I agree with Randy. And he made me laugh.

wmgaretjax
04-06-2008, 10:22 AM
highly recommended......

If only it didn't sound exactly like their last album...

kreutz2112
04-06-2008, 10:27 AM
I hope they play the normal version of "Wandering Star". The version they played at ATP was fucked and I didn't like it.

Boourns
04-07-2008, 01:40 AM
I second the demand for Strangers and All Mine, and add Elysium.

So is everyone going to watch the concert on Current TV next Friday? 7pm pacific.

thelastgreatman
04-07-2008, 03:23 AM
You fucking add Half Day Clothing to those demands or die.

Also, what the fuck is Current TV? What concert? Friday? Huh?

Boourns
04-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Current is Al Gore's viewer-controlled content channel. It's usually 366, so digital cable or satellite is obviously required.

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2008/04/04/portishead-in-portishead-sneak-peek-coming-april-11/

Moody trip-hoppers Portishead will be playing eight songs from their upcoming album, Third (due April 28), live on Current TV on April 11. The performance will actually take place in the English town they took their name from and thus will be called, “Portishead In Portishead,” according to the NME.

The promotion is similar to what Lollapalooza headliners Radiohead did for Current TV on New Year’s Eve, performing their entire album, In Rainbows, in their English studio.

We’ve got more on how Third came to be, and why it won’t take 10 years for the next album to make. We’ve heard the album - ever since it leaked on the internet a few weeks back - and it’s good. Especially “Machine Gun.” Yeah.

Official site:
http://current.com/items/88892568_portishead_in_portishead

I think it will be available online afterwards.

amyzzz
04-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I hope so because I don't have cable.

rage patton
04-07-2008, 02:46 PM
You fucking add Half Day Clothing to those demands or die.

Half Day Closing would be excellent... but if it meant hearing All Mine, I would give it up without a second thought.

Stork
04-08-2008, 01:50 PM
third can't be the best album of the year, cause Beach House's "Devotion" has that title.......

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/Saltlick/SXSW%202007/beach_house_cover.jpg

highly recommended......

yea. saw them like a month ago in LA. very neat.
++portishead++

fikus222
04-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Ummm, so why are the abrupt song endings that we heard on the leaked album still on the store bought one ?

send me ctrpllrs
04-30-2008, 10:06 PM
They are? That's strange. I was looking forward to not having that.

NicoDread
05-01-2008, 07:54 AM
i don't know. But when I bought my copy, they gave me a P sticker, a button, and a promo vinyl of Machine Gun.

Tylerdurden31
05-01-2008, 08:03 AM
I got a free t-shirt with my vinyl copy of Third.

faxman75
05-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Ummm, so why are the abrupt song endings that we heard on the leaked album still on the store bought one ?

Hmm, I never knew they shouldn't sound that way. I've been listening for over a month now and they sounded like complete works. I realize a couple end abrupt but I thought it was intentional. At least it made sense to me with Silence.

marooko
05-01-2008, 08:44 AM
whats the deal with the songs suddenly ending?

marooko
05-01-2008, 08:45 AM
i don't know. But when I bought my copy, they gave me a P sticker, a button, and a promo vinyl of Machine Gun.

where the hell did you buy it. i got shit!!

HunterGather
05-01-2008, 09:00 AM
My only disappointment with the album really is the bassline on SILENCE. I wish it was louder and clearer..I mean, they obviously made it sounds kinda lo-fi, but I remember hearing the ATP set from last year, I got so hyped from hearing the bass guitar riff clearly.

THIRD is flippin' amazing. It took a few listens to get into it. But now I play it constantly.

NicoDread
05-01-2008, 09:26 AM
where the hell did you buy it. i got shit!!

lou's records is the only place i go to buy new releases. they always give out goodies with them.

Kali27
05-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Lou's did hook it up... I got the sticker, button, and free 7inch of Machine Gun... which did you check out how cool the vinyl itself is... I got the double limited edition vinyl for less than 13 bucks... so stoked!

faxman75
05-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm buying a record player as soon as I move next month. It's number one on the list. I just want to move NOW! It's gonna be so cool, gonna have some vinyl parties once a month or something too, gotta do it.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-06-2008, 12:31 PM
did anyone post this? It was from their blog

cochella

2008-04-27 01:00:00

hello

so we played , it was good fun but i dout if it looked like we were having any!. we were so far away from the crowd it was a bit weird to tell if people connected with us.

kraftwerk were amazing and prince was fukin mad , there a few things ive heard about me being pissed off that prince played its not true , it was just a shame we could only play for an hour thats all.

all the people from the festival were really brilliant .

gutted im missing black mountain today

and now were going home. with our sun burn.

france is next .

geoff

sooo den

2008-04-26 01:00:00

hello

were in cochella at last , we had our sound check and its sonding really good for now. the initial worries have past , not a angry production manadger in sight...just really nice chilled california people.

cochella is a lot better organised and cleaner than most european festivals but its a really nice vibe but its sooo fukin hot...and for a transparant old english man who burns its a bit much.. i think im going to look like a walking bell end by the end of today.

weve been in la for a week doing press , i really dont know what the interviews are going to be like? i think i come off sounding really mouthy ,slagging people off which worries me deeply.

i just find it hard to play the press game..without ranting about someone!!! but spose its not really working for a living so im not complaining.

the band are really enjoying themselves ,the european dates went better than we thought they would. all the PA problems have past thanks to eddie , rick and rob.

i saw dangermouse the other day and wanted to say hi but i didnt , he might have punched me , and with my mouth i wouldnt of blamed him.

thats it for now

back home to wee the girls tommorrow , cant fukin wait.

geoff

amyzzz
05-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Clearly Geoff needs to read a Coachella board a little bit.

rage patton
05-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Thats awesome they are Black Mountain fans. But it really was a shame they only got an hour to play...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Thats awesome they are Black Mountain fans. But it really was a shame they only got an hour to play...

Portishead should have headlined a day...they needed more time...should've moved Prince to headline Friday..or Moved portiswerk to friday...oh well...it was still fantastic...

thestripe
05-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Portishead into Prince was perfect. I do wish that Portishead played over an hour though.

davrone
05-06-2008, 02:17 PM
I really hope they tour the US so we can see them for more than an hour. I must here All Mine live. And so far, Third is the album to beat this year.