PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Bjork won't be back to China for a LONG time...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-04-2008, 08:37 AM
During Declare Independence she made references to Tibet...the video and articles are posted in the link...As someone who has been to China...I am amazed she was booted out of the country as soon as the show was over...

http://www.bjork.com/facts/gigography/sub.php?date=2008-03-02

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-04-2008, 08:40 AM
not sure if this was mentioned either but I will post it as well...

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/49065-bjork-show-cut-over-kosovo-talk-untrue-says-fest

Bjork Show Cut Over Kosovo Talk? "Untrue," Says Fest
"EXIT Festival has never cancelled any artist's performance because of their political point-of-view or statements."

Photo by Bernhard Kristin/ILC

Following the shake-up last week surrounding Björk's politically-charged Kosovo song dedication and the subsequent (and, apparently, consequent) cancellation of a purported appearance at the EXIT Festival in Serbia, festival organizers have stepped forward with a statement.

To recap: Björk dedicated her song "Declare Independence" to Kosovo-- which recently declared its own independence from Serbia-- at a pair of Tokyo concerts in February. The singer rather plainly suggested the EXIT cancellation was the result of her remarks when she told Icelandic newspaper Morgunbla∂i∂, "Maybe a Serb attended my concert [in Tokyo] and called home, and therefore the concert in Novi Sad was cancelled." The story spread and was picked up by numerous news outlets, including Pitchfork.

Morgunbla∂i∂ reported that the cancellation was due to the festival's inability to provide enough security for performers and audience members.

According to EXIT's general manager Bojan Boskovic, "These stories are quite bizarre and untrue. EXIT Festival has never cancelled any artist's performance because of their political point-of-view or statements. We'd like to clarify that the festival is right on track and festival preparations are our best ever, we're really looking forward to announcing our program and, moreover, seeing everybody again at the event in July."

Boskovic continues, "EXIT was the first forum in the Balkans to gather people from all the former Yugoslavian countries after the civil wars. Started nine years ago as a student-initiated protest against the Milosevic regime, EXIT has become a symbol of togetherness and cultural diversity and is a social force that every year brings together more and more people, from every background and culture of the region."

The 2008 EXIT Festival descends on Novi Sad's Petrovaradin fortress July 10-13. Four performers have been announced thus far-- the Sex Pistols, the Hives, Paul Weller, and Nightwish-- but organizers would not disclose whether Björk would be playing or if she was indeed at any point a booked or considered performer. They also did not specify if Björk's performance had been canceled due to non-political reasons (namely, the security issue as previously reported).

Björk's publicist did not respond to emails about the matter.

Much more certain: Björk tours England and Northern Ireland in April and May, and has a couple non-EXIT festival dates lined up beyond.

Björk:

04-11 Manchester, England - Apollo
04-14 London, England - Hammersmith Apollo
04-17 London, England - Hammersmith Apollo
04-20 London, England - Hammersmith Apollo
04-22 Plymouth, England - Plymouth Pavilions
04-25 Wolverhampton, England - Civic Hall
04-28 Belfast, Northern Ireland - Waterfront
05-01 Blackpool, England - Empress Ballroom
05-04 Sheffield, England - City Hall
07-20 Ferropolis, Germany - Melt! Festival
08-07 Zambujeira do Mar, Portugal - Festival Sudoeste TMN

JustSteve
03-04-2008, 08:45 AM
bjork fans are scarier than any others i have experienced, i don't blame them.

ThomThom
03-04-2008, 08:48 AM

FACT

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-04-2008, 08:50 AM

Is it really so crazy as to wait 12 hours in the sun just to get a good spot for Bjork? or to knock someone out if they try to take your spot?

BlackSwan
03-04-2008, 08:54 AM
luckily I don't live in China, Bjork should come back to nor-cal and not play f'ing shoreline.

fatbastard
03-04-2008, 10:12 AM
GEuClszC5l4

amyzzz
03-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Bjork is so fucking awesome. Some of her fans are a bit scary, yes, but it's worth braving the fans to see her live. Just like NIN.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Bjork is so fucking awesome. Some of her fans are a bit scary, yes, but it's worth braving the fans to see her live. Just like NIN.

that pretty much sums it up right there...

jonnypark
03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
My respect for Bjork just went up a little. I'd still only wait 15, 20 minutes tops for a spot, just sayin.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-04-2008, 02:58 PM
And THIS is why I love Bjork JUSTICE!!!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/49103-bjork-speaks-out-about-kosovo-controversy

Bjork Speaks Out About Kosovo Controversy
"I would like to wish all individuals and nations good luck in their battle for independence. Justice!"
Photo by Kathryn Yu

This just in: Do not mess with Björk. The Icelandic songstress released a statement today clarifying her position with regard to a pair of recent controversial remarks made during live shows in Tokyo and Shanghai, and by the looks of it she's holding fast to her beliefs.

Once again, a recap: At a concert in Tokyo, as previously reported, Björk dedicated "Declare Independence" to newly independent Kosovo, leading to friction between the artist and organizers of Serbia's EXIT Festival (more on that below). In Shanghai this past weekend, according to various reports, Björk dedicated the same song to Tibet, whose struggle for independence from China is well documented. (The Guardian has video of it here.)

Here's what Björk had to say on the matter:

"I have been asked by many for a statement after dedicating my song 'Declare Independence' to both Kosovo and Tibet on different occasions. I would like to put importance on that I am not a politician, I am first and last a musician and as such I feel my duty to try to express the whole range of human emotions. The urge for declaring independence is just one of them but an important one we all feel at some times in our lives. This song was written more with the personal in mind but the fact that it has translated to its broadest meaning, the struggle of a suppressed nation, gives me much pleasure. I would like to wish all individuals and nations good luck in their battle for independence. Justice!"

Furthermore, Björk's management has stepped forward to counter recent claims made by EXIT Festival representatives that suggest a proposed Björk performance at the festival was not cancelled due to the singer's Kosovo remarks.

Management shared an email from EXIT's general manager Bojan Boäkovi, which Boäkovi sent after learning of Björk's Kosovo dedication. In the email, amid concern for the well-being of festivalgoers and Björk herself, Boäkovi puts forth the following ultimatum (emphasis his):

"We hope Bjork does not relate to Kosovo on other concerts here in Europe, nor in her intervievs, because if she does we need to cancel the concert; if this happens, we may as well look for some other artist..."

In reference to the Kosovo dedication in Tokyo, the festival manager also asks Björk's management "to deny that Bjork has ever done this."

"This is a very sensitive issue," writes Boäkovi in closing.

Björk, however, wasn't having it, and thus she will not be playing EXIT. That festival, as previously reported, happens July 10-13 at Novi Sad, Serbia's Petrovaradin fortress. The Sex Pistols, Paul Weller, the Hives, and Nightwish will perform.

Björk, meanwhile, has dates in England and mainland Europe forthcoming. And the video for "Wanderlust" looks pretty cool.

Björk:

04-11 Manchester, England - Apollo
04-14 London, England - Hammersmith Apollo
04-17 London, England - Hammersmith Apollo
04-20 London, England - Hammersmith Apollo
04-22 Plymouth, England - Plymouth Pavilions
04-25 Wolverhampton, England - Civic Hall
04-28 Belfast, Northern Ireland - Waterfront
05-01 Blackpool, England - Empress Ballroom
05-04 Sheffield, England - City Hall
07-20 Ferropolis, Germany - Melt! Festival
08-07 Zambujeira do Mar, Portugal - Festival Sudoeste TMN

BlackSwan
03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Bjork is so badass it's awesome

invisiblerobots
03-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Welcome to Bangkok.
pYyyqIZTvYY
It's nice to note that the commentator actually pronounces Björk correctly.

superfiction
03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Welcome to Bangkok.
pYyyqIZTvYY
It's nice to note that the commentator actually pronounces Björk correctly.

damn you beat me to it

nationocean
03-04-2008, 04:59 PM
she is one angry little icelander.

superfiction
03-04-2008, 05:00 PM
and thats pretty cool that she got kicked out of her headlining spot at exit. good for her to stand by her words

TonyWonder
03-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Bjork is one of the coolest chicks on planet Earth.

whynotsmile99
03-04-2008, 05:44 PM
this babuskah is very upset.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44400000/jpg/_44400954_serbia3_ap416.jpg
"No Bjork? No Radiohead? I'm hoping for an Underworld/Prodigy add. At least we don't get fucking Jack Johnson"

Who the hell would want to go to a music festival in Serbia anyway?

edit: wow, best festival in Europe award. Anyone ever been to this thing?

orbit
03-04-2008, 05:49 PM
well, it was awarded as the best european festival last year.

GaragePoet
03-04-2008, 06:13 PM

dude, the crowd for the first björk performance at coachella in whichever year it was (they tend to blend together by now) was the WORST i've ever been in... and i was a mile back, compared to being against the barricade at several TOOL shows, in the pit for pantera/white zombie, rage, etc... never would've imagined it