PDA

View Full Version : Best Act Of The Last Five Years

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 12:25 AM
What's the best band that came out in the last five years?

This conversation started tonight, and the answer I settled on has barely been out for a couple months.

PassiveTheory
03-04-2008, 12:34 AM
...MGMT?

But um, since the Arcade Fire formed in 2003... I will go with them.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 12:40 AM
That was another one of the answers that was deemed reasonable. Also: the date they formed can be a little flexible. First real release after 2002. Whatever. Interpol's in either way, that's one of the other only reasonable answers.

JSam67
03-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Arcade Fire. But the movement of dance-rock music (or whatever you wanna call it) is awesome, not sure when exactly it started catching on, but I'm referring to bands like LCD Soundsystem, MGMT, Hot Chip, etc.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 12:49 AM
(The correct answer is MGMT, yes, but it won't be a mathematical certainty until they release a second album, which will somehow be even better than Oracular and will make this question so fucking moot it's absurd)

Boourns
03-04-2008, 12:50 AM
1. Arcade Fire
2. Asobi Seksu

PassiveTheory
03-04-2008, 06:22 AM
Oh Interpol counts?

1. Interpol
2. Arcade Fire

There've been a few absolutely stellar releases in the last couple of years. Does Hot Chip count since, although they formed in 2000, their first record was released in 04?

thestripe
03-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Oh Interpol counts?

1. Interpol
2. Arcade Fire

There've been a few absolutely stellar releases in the last couple of years. Does Hot Chip count since, although they formed in 2000, their first record was released in 04?

I think "Our Love to Admire" takes Interpol out of the equation.

PassiveTheory
03-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Um, no. No it does not. That record is FAR from shitty. The second half of the album is lackluster, but I'll be damned if "Pioneer to the Falls" is not Interpol's best song, period.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 06:31 AM
Antics is what made that hard for me. Antics hit at a point in my life that just made it perfect soundtracking--plus it's a fucking incredible album, I can't believe people claim Turn On The Bright Lights is better. I was trying to think of an album I'd put up against it from this category...

Thirteenth Step would contend but APC isn't eligible. Hot Chip is eligible because we're going by record releases. Hot Chip would also be a silly fucking answer, but I'm assuming you were just asking for clarification on the rules.

thestripe
03-04-2008, 06:36 AM
"Antics" even with it's flaws is still a fun album, and far superior to "Turn On the Bright Lights"

betao
03-04-2008, 06:37 AM
If anyone dares to say Justice, then your opinion about anything from here on out becomes invalid.

JSam67
03-04-2008, 06:40 AM
For me, if you factor in live show, Arcade Fire is so much better than Interpol that it's not even a discussion. Album-wise, I see the race as being much tighter.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Take You On A Cruise is one of the ten most impressive songs of the past five years, I'll tell you that fucking much. I don't care what anyone says--you're wrong if you don't recognize that track destroys everything else in their catalog.

But seriously, the answer is MGMT. I'm not kidding. Jesus Christ, I wish they would give them a slot on the main stage no matter how early, because you have no idea how fucking fun it would be watching a completely unexpecting crowd get ANNIHILATED at fucking noon. Ha. I guarantee they have a sunset main stage slot two years from now, and it's going to be so insanely badass.

thestripe
03-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Anyways Interpol's Turn On the Bright Lights" and "Antics" doesn't establish them as the "Best Act Of The Last Five Years". They are just two entertaining albums.

sbessiso
03-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Um, no. No it does not. That record is FAR from shitty. The second half of the album is lackluster, but I'll be damned if "Pioneer to the Falls" is not Interpol's best song, period.

word son, that album has many quality tunes

thestripe
03-04-2008, 06:48 AM
But seriously, the answer is MGMT. I'm not kidding. Jesus Christ, I wish they would give them a slot on the main stage no matter how early, because you have no idea how fucking fun it would be watching a completely unexpecting crowd get ANNIHILATED at fucking noon. Ha. I guarantee they have a sunset main stage slot two years from now, and it's going to be so insanely badass.

crazy talk. I'm sure they will be a blast, but best act in the last 5 years?

Genedefekt
03-04-2008, 06:50 AM
I like Interpol and all, but c'mon, they are one of the most boring LIVE acts I've ever seen.

Hannahrain
03-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Best is so much harder to identify than worst.

MassiveChemicalPunk
I would def go with Interpol. The last time I was excited for an album to come out like I was a little kid waiting for my bday was for Antics.

C'mere and Take You on a Cruise are the best from that album!

thelastgreatman
Live show does have to be considered, true, although it's interesting to consider it with live factored in and then just strictly on albums.

Arcade Fire sold me by the live show way more than the albums did. It took me a long time to warm up to them from the albums. I think it wasn't until I watched the Coach DVD that it flipped my switch.

When I put Antics on the first time, I was fucking blown away from the get-go. That matters a lot to me.

Genedefekt
03-04-2008, 06:54 AM
To me, best "act" implies live. On record, they're a band.

MassiveChemicalPunk
03-04-2008, 06:58 AM
To me, best "act" implies live. On record, they're a band.

Then according to various sources it would be Roger Waters. A couple of friends have seen him in Monterrey, and they where blown away. What is even funnier is the fact that they are the kind of people that don't give a shit about music as much as we do, and they fucking loved the show and the music. It's not easy to get into Floyd music but with a superb stage show.... it makes it a whole lot easier. (and drugs of course)

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 06:59 AM
crazy talk. I'm sure they will be a blast, but best act in the last 5 years?

Dude, I'm not even fucking around. See them as much as you possibly can, you won't regret it in the least. They're gonna destroy whatever tent they play this year, but I think hearing the show I saw through the speakers on the main... yeah, I know it would be even better than the YYYs in 06 and that's one of my favorite shows ever. They do the same sonic tricks that make the YYYs and Interpol so fucking awesome, but I think they might be WAY better at them already.

bmack86
03-04-2008, 07:06 AM
For my money, it's either Man Man or Grizzly Bear. Man Man have the sheer audacity to be completely insane yet still rock out harder than almost any band around, and they project so much energy that people don't seem to realize how weird they are. Grizzly Bear are just fuckin' amazing, and are only getting better.

Tylerdurden31
03-04-2008, 07:06 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say The Octopus Project. The albums are pop-electronic perfection and their live shows have more energy than most people know what to do with.

thestripe
03-04-2008, 07:09 AM
For my money, it's either Man Man or Grizzly Bear. Man Man have the sheer audacity to be completely insane yet still rock out harder than almost any band around, and they project so much energy that people don't seem to realize how weird they are. Grizzly Bear are just fuckin' amazing, and are only getting better.

I could agree with Grizzly Bear.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 07:09 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say The Octopus Project. The albums are pop-electronic perfection and their live shows have more energy than most people know what to do with.

This description intrigues me. Would you be so kind as to try to sell me on this claim with some youtube vids? Or if you have a pamphlet...

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 07:11 AM

(a) I still can't believe you had to miss that MGMT show you poor fuck, and I want to rub it in some more; (b) ditto my request for youtube's or pamphlets on Man Man and Grizzly Bear.

menikmati
03-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Octopus Project killed at Coachella 06, one of the highlights that weekend.

thestripe
03-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Octopus Project was tit's in 06'. I dont think I've ever seen a youtube that gives Grizzly Bears live show justice.

bmack86
03-04-2008, 07:22 AM
yeah, that's the only problem. Grizzly Bear's live show works best when there's a really expansive space for them to lay it out (like the Disney concert hall) so that all their vocals can really ring out and the layers can build. And Man Man are about energy. Plus, they don't stop between songs, so their live set is all about the flow. That having been said, I'll see what I can find.

sbessiso
03-04-2008, 07:25 AM
i'm very surprised at all this arcade fire talk, i have yet to have my life changed by them

thestripe
03-04-2008, 07:26 AM
I've seen both live in small venues, and each show was amazing. The problem with any live Grizzly Bear youtube, is the recording. You can’t capture their sound on a camera phone.

BeHereNOW
03-04-2008, 07:29 AM
interpol and arcade fire are way high in my chart... nice

if you all go with MGMTs and Grizzly Bears, I have no other choise than to post TOKIO POLICE CLUB =P

Tylerdurden31
03-04-2008, 07:30 AM
This description intrigues me. Would you be so kind as to try to sell me on this claim with some youtube vids? Or if you have a pamphlet...

i guess this'll have to do

AcFXCI0e9ec

8o3yb3zXAqE

best album = One Ten Hundred Thousand Million

the new one Hello Avalanche has some good stuff on it too.

Identification Parade is their first, it's got more mellow stuff on it

bmack86
03-04-2008, 07:37 AM
8-zCdJve6c4
Grizzly Bear-Easier

Here's a link to a damn good live video that's not on Youtube of them at Pitchfork festival.
Click it please (http://pitchforkmedia.imeem.com/video/s6p46ctn/grizzly_bear_on_a_neck_on_a_spit_music_video/)

I'm trying to find Man Man videos, but all the percussion sounds wipe out the mic, so they sound really distorted and hard to hear.

thestripe
03-04-2008, 07:42 AM
I'm trying to find Man Man videos, but all the percussion sounds wipe out the mic, so they sound really distorted and hard to hear.

I think there is a pretty good one out there of "Black Mission Goggles" at the pitchfork festival. I'll have to look for it.

bmack86
03-04-2008, 07:45 AM
There, is, but I'd rather have a good video of either Van Helsing Boombox or Zebra. Those songs are amazing.

bmack86
03-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Still, all the videos I've watched thus far don't come even close to capturing their live energy. They just make them sound noisy, when that's not the truth.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 07:51 AM
i guess this'll have to do

AcFXCI0e9ec

8o3yb3zXAqE

best album = One Ten Hundred Thousand Million

the new one Hello Avalanche has some good stuff on it too.

Identification Parade is their first, it's got more mellow stuff on it

This is impressive potentially. I'd love to see it live I'm pretty sure--will download their albums now based on that.

8-zCdJve6c4
Grizzly Bear-Easier

This... is not anywhere near the best thing of the last five years. =)

luckyface
03-04-2008, 07:54 AM
I think Interpol is a great choice. I have a couple of others that I would throw into the discussion, although it feels a tad premature with a couple of them:

M83
The Secret Machines
This Will Destroy You
65daysofstatic
LCD Soundsystem

bmack86
03-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Watch the other one. It's most likely not your cup of tea, but they're amazing.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Arcade Fire
Interpol
M.I.A.
Franz Ferdinand

sbessiso
03-04-2008, 07:57 AM
i wanted to put franz ferdinand but was too embarassed to

menikmati
03-04-2008, 08:01 AM
the Perceptionists rock!

bmack86
03-04-2008, 08:04 AM
You're going to ask for the best act of the last of five years, which is hundreds of performers, and claim that the best one is some flavor of the month electro pop joint? That hasn't even performed yet? Or are we not talking about Coachella? I think MGMT is fine, don't get me wrong, but I swear you have the strangest taste in the things you go apeshit over.

ps my answer would be the Perceptionists in 2005, TV on the Radio in 2006 and Busdriver in 2007.

I think he just means in general.

Boourns
03-04-2008, 08:05 AM

That's an incredible song. Too bad the rest of the album is completely forgettable. Antics, too. And their live shows.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 08:05 AM
You're going to ask for the best act of the last of five years, which is hundreds of performers, and claim that the best one is some flavor of the month electro pop joint? That hasn't even performed yet? Or are we not talking about Coachella? I think MGMT is fine, don't get me wrong, but I swear you have the strangest taste in the things you go apeshit over.

I'm saying this based on two assumptions: one, seeing them live again will be at least as good as the last show, and seeing as that's going to be Coach I think that's almost certain; and two, that when they release the follow up to this it reveals new depths of the way they can apply their gimmicks that will just blow this first album away. I know they're going to do it, because I'm pretty sure I know how they do what they do now and if I'm right it can definitely be expanded on.

thestripe
03-04-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm saying this based on two assumptions: one, seeing them live again will be at least as good as the last show, and seeing as that's going to be Coach I think that's almost certain; and two, that when they release the follow up to this it reveals new depths of the way they can apply their gimmicks that will just blow this first album away. I know they're going to do it, because I'm pretty sure I know how they do what they do now and if I'm right it can definitely be expanded on.

When their second album flops are we going to have to put you on suicide watch?

bmack86
03-04-2008, 08:10 AM
The only defining factor was that they released their first album in the past 5 years. That's why interpol can sneak in.

thestripe
03-04-2008, 08:10 AM
I think we are going by album, with some cushion.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Well that potentially changes my answer and also the qualifications. Does it have to be a band that's only formed within the past 5 years then? Because how can you call Interpol a band of the last 5 years? Or are we being album/tour specific? Thank you for your help.

Just so I have it straight - you know that the follow-up to Oracular will be spectacular because you can do what they're doing and you are spectacular?

ps coffee fucking RULES why do I ever deprive myself

Going by albums, somewhat flexible. I'm saying we're including Interpol just because I think they're one of the high water marks of albums released in this time period, even though I guess Turn On came out a little too early.

And no, I think I know the follow up to Oracular is going to be spectacular because they used their background in high level math to do something I've wanted to do for a few years: they broke down a wide variety of undeniably "catchy" music into formulas and figured out a way to throw them all together. Interpol and the YYYs made me think about how much the use of the "sonic" sound is really the coolest thing happening nowadays. It's a total gimmick, it is--but it's irrestistibly effective.

MGMT saw the same thing, and got all math genius about taking advantage of the sonic potential. See them at Coach and you'll see what I mean, I'm almost positive there's not going to be any disappointment in this show.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 08:35 AM
I don't either in that I don't understand keys or chords or scales at all. I've been wishing I had a friend who understood all that shit really thoroughly and another who goes to MIT doing high-level math to force into a band operating under this concept. But I don't. I'm glad someone finally did do it though, if I'm right about how easy they'll be able to top this album.

ShyGuy75
03-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Arcade Fire

/ thread

ThomThom
03-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Three way tie for me...

Interpol, Arcade Fire, The Black Keys

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Black Keys are another goodun', although their albums don't reflect how good they are live enough IMO. Their set last year was amazing, but it was hard to go back and hear what I heard in that tent from their albums.

KungFuJoe
03-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Being that their first album was released in 2003 I'm going to go ahead and say that Metric deserves to be in this discussion. they may not be the best band of the past five years, but certainly are within the top 5 best bands of the past five years. imo

I also agree that Interpol would vie for the top of this list and that Take You On A Cruise is a fucking spectacular song.

Arcade Fire should easily be the correct answer. i don't think i need to explain. though i've grown a bit bored with them.

but hell, i don't think my opinion matters here, because I'd also throw The Presets into the ring for this one, simply because i enjoy the shit out of them.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Speaking of Arcade fire...here are some pictures from the Obama shows..

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/49088-photos-arcade-fire-members-rock-for-obama-part-2-cleveland-oh-030308

too lazy to post them myself...

ThomThom
03-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Although Turn on the Bright Lights and Antics are much much better then Our Love to Admire, I think "Pioneer to the Falls" has to be one of Interpol's best tracks... Especially live.

samiksha
03-04-2008, 09:15 AM
the raconteurs! deserve at least a mention.

summerkid
03-04-2008, 09:21 AM
the raconteurs! deserve at least a mention.

i thought that for a second, but its assuming a lot. That their new album is going to be markedly better than their first one, but there is no doubt that its an incredibly talented band.

samiksha
03-04-2008, 09:22 AM
just a mention. i'm not sure i think they're the best. but they're good. just throwing one in the hat. i know you feel me.

samiksha
03-04-2008, 09:26 AM
i'm very undecided on who i think is best. but i think Joanna Newsom is also very good.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-04-2008, 09:59 AM
i'm very undecided on who i think is best. but i think Joanna Newsom is also very good.

Ooooo forgot to add her.....

amyzzz
03-04-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm going to go with Franz Ferdinand.

gratytrainridesagain
03-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Is Of Montreal from the last five years?

wmgaretjax
03-04-2008, 10:07 AM
As usual, the BMack has it in spades... Grizzly Bear.

thestripe
03-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Is Of Montreal from the last five years?

No.

canexplain
03-04-2008, 10:17 AM
This will crack this board up, but remember the audience …. If you google best new bands of the 21st centry, you get a list of rock bands anyway, that is as far as I checked the links out …. Here is the list in order …..

Audioslave

Fall out boy

The white stripes

The killers

muse

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Official ruling on Of Montreal is going to be: we'll allow it. My reasoning being that there's no way any significant number of us had ever heard of them in 2003.

thestripe
03-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Well they are pretty fucking up there then.

thestripe
03-04-2008, 10:34 AM
and you would have to do the same thing with Broken Social Scene

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 10:35 AM
... are they really in contention?

samiksha
03-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Official ruling on Of Montreal is going to be: we'll allow it. My reasoning being that there's no way any significant number of us had ever heard of them in 2003.

no no no, you can't do that. you said first album, not when they first became popular. that changes things entirely.

thestripe
03-04-2008, 10:36 AM
... are they really in contention?

I would say so. If you are going to change the rules.

miscorrections
03-04-2008, 10:37 AM
I'd bet a significant number of us had heard of them in 2003.

miscorrections
03-04-2008, 10:38 AM
And earlier than 2003, too.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I would say so. If you are going to change the rules.

No, I mean are they in contention as in: is there really any reason we'd have to make a ruling on them, because I find it hard to believe they have a chance of competing for this spot.

I think you're full of shit.

Also, the rules were not etched in stone--they are being defined to fit the intentions of the question best. Trial and error, people.

Boourns
03-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Does Metric count? I wasn't sure because Grow Up and Blow Away was recorded in 2001, but not released until 2007. I know the song by the same name was in that Polaroid commercial in 2002.

rage patton
03-04-2008, 10:42 AM
MGMT? Seriously? Their album has a couple good songs... but overall it is mediocre.

Boourns
03-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Don't change the rules, Randy, or this thread will be as ruined as that rule-free festival contest.

Genedefekt
03-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Snap!

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Rage, don't worry about it--they're good music, you won't like it.

Way to remind me to bump that, btw...

thestripe
03-04-2008, 10:46 AM

I bet you are wrong.

No, I mean are they in contention as in: is there really any reason we'd have to make a ruling on them, because I find it hard to believe they have a chance of competing for this spot.

They would be ranked pretty high on my list.

miscorrections
03-04-2008, 10:46 AM
I think you're full of shit.

What's new? But anyway, their first album came out in '97, so even with some wiggle room they're not exactly last 5 years.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Were you aware of them at the beginning of 2003?

Nope.

Boourns
03-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Last year someone asked me who Underworld was. Doesn't make them a new act, either.

BlackSwan
03-04-2008, 10:49 AM
LCD Soundsystem>MGMT & Arcade Fire

wmgaretjax
03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I think you have to go by when the first album is released. I heard of Of Montreal in 2000, so here is no way in hell they should count.

miscorrections
03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Were you aware of them at the beginning of 2003?

Nope.

Yes, actually, because Aldhils Arboretum came out in September '02.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Fuck y'all. Make your own thread. I made this one, I think the debate is more interesting with them as an option although I don't honestly think they're really contenders either.

samiksha
03-04-2008, 10:51 AM
randy has made a ruling people. fall in line.

rage patton
03-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Rage, don't worry about it--they're good music, you won't like it.

Way to remind me to bump that, btw...

I said the albums had some good songs. I think Time To Pretend, Kids and The Youth are killer tracks. However, the rest of the album doesn't match up to the greatness of those 3 songs.

thestripe
03-04-2008, 10:54 AM
What's new? But anyway, their first album came out in '97, so even with some wiggle room they're not exactly last 5 years.

Wrong. Formed in 1999 and their first album "Feel Good Lost" was released in 2001.

Genedefekt
03-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Electric Feel?

miscorrections
03-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Um, I'm talking about Of Montreal. Not BSS.

Re: thestripe

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 10:55 AM
The fuck is the point of starting a thread if I don't get to hold dominion over it?

Do whatever you want, I'm ruling for whatever I think serves the discussion best. You can ignore me if you choose, I guess. But it'd be better if you didn't. =)

wmgaretjax
03-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Ok... Animal Collective then, because most people heard about them with HCTI or later. ;)

thestripe
03-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Um, I'm talking about Of Montreal. Not BSS.

Re: thestripe

I was getting confused. Anyway point is, if you are going to start a thread "Best Act Of The Last Five Years", you should a) keep the discusion within the past 5 years. b) not put MGMT at the top of the list. :)

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Sure, Animal Collective should be available. But they're fucking terrible. That's the only problem.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 11:01 AM
And I'm predicting that two years from now you'll be able to make an incredibly strong argument for MGMT having been the best band to come out from 2003-2008.

miscorrections
03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I like hearing when people here don't like AC because it means their set will be one person less crowded.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm also ruling that you can choose just Alive 2007 IF you want.

Time to get in the Fuck The Rules mood. Ha.

wmgaretjax
03-04-2008, 11:05 AM
I like hearing when people here don't like AC because it means their set will be one person less crowded.

yesyesyes

BlackSwan
03-04-2008, 11:07 AM
LCD Soundsystem>MGMT & Arcade Fire

Actually... LCD Soundsystem>all acts mentioned in this thread

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
LCD Soundsystem was godawful as well. You guys suck at this game. How many exceptions to the rules do I have to make before you'll stop bring crap?

Hey, new bending of the rules: you can choose bands that are good.

PassiveTheory
03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Oh fuck... Franz counts too?

Also... THE DRESDEN DOLLS. YES.

Do the Decemberists count too? I mean, I know Castaways and Cutouts came out in 02, but they JUST miss the mark... By 7 months... >>;;

And, I know they're a guilty pleasure, but I'm throwing the Killers on my list too.

Interpol
The Dresden Dolls
Franz Ferdinand
The Arcade Fire
The Killers

Also, I didn't catch this, but did the Black Keys count?

miscorrections
03-04-2008, 11:12 AM
LCD Soundsystem was godawful as well. You guys suck at this game. How many exceptions to the rules do I have to make before you'll stop bring crap?

I don't get you.

PassiveTheory
03-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Also, the best rapper in the last 5 years:

LUPE MOTHERFUCKIN' FIASCO.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Oh fuck... Franz counts too?

Also... THE DRESDEN DOLLS. YES.

Do the Decemberists count too? I mean, I know Castaways and Cutouts came out in 02, but they JUST miss the mark... By 7 months... >>;;

And, I know they're a guilty pleasure, but I'm throwing the Killers on my list too.

Interpol
The Dresden Dolls
Franz Ferdinand
The Arcade Fire
The Killers

Also, I didn't catch this, but did the Black Keys count?

Also, the best rapper in the last 5 years:

LUPE MOTHERFUCKIN' FIASCO.

Black Keys count. The Killers and Franz Ferdinand are answers that have a dick in their mouth. Also, Kanye is the hiphop act that would take it if it was any hiphop act. Sorry.

I don't get you.

This coming from the girl who doesn't care about Portishead or Roger Waters. No shit. You're insane--that's why.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Bands I'm adding to contention just to see what people might go for if the rules were different:

Modest Mouse
Okkervil River (I'm guessing they don't have any dating issues, but just in case)
Jack Johnson of course
The National

Also, how many of you would take The White Stripes over any of these options? I'm intrigued.

samiksha
03-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Modest Mouse.

what!? no.

WHAT!?

BeHereNOW
03-04-2008, 11:22 AM
(The correct answer is MGMT, yes, but it won't be a mathematical certainty until they release a second album, which will somehow be even better than Oracular and will make this question so fucking moot it's absurd)

I have the "oracular spectacular" in my iPod since 2 months ago thanks to a friend, but I didn't pay it much attention until now.... great album

samiksha
03-04-2008, 11:23 AM
modest mouse? last 5 years? what?

miscorrections
03-04-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm still confused on how we're defining best. Most innovative? Most likely to have longevity + future relevance? Most consistently enjoyable?

BlackSwan
03-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Hey, new bending of the rules: you can choose bands that are good.

LCD Soundsystem>thelastgreatman and all of his favorite bands

samiksha
03-04-2008, 11:24 AM
they've been my favorite artist for the last 6 years. since i was 15. and very out of touch with most music.

modest mouse that is. i'm losing continuity with my posts because i keep posting and being shocked all over again.

PotVsKtl
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
I've been listening to Modest Mouse for at least 10 years. Disqualified.

PassiveTheory
03-04-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm just going by favorite acts.

And Lupe is doing and has been doing shit Kanye West is not only afraid to do, but nowhere near talented enough TO do. Until Kanye pulls off a concept album, and one that isn't half assed and hammed up with retarded tracks, then I'll give him props over Lupe, but Lupe... Lupe actually gets me interested in hip-hop music PERIOD. I hope he stops talking all this shit about retirement.

The Cool > every single Kanye disc.
Food & Liquor > every single Kanye disc.

The Killers are a fully guilty pleasure; fucking hated Mr. Brightside, still never listen to that goddamn song... The new record wasn't great, either... But the first record AND the first record b-sides are still good.

Franz Ferdinand (with Interpol) got me into indie music, so fuck writing them off like that, Randy.

hawkingvsreeve
03-04-2008, 11:30 AM
My vote goes to Timberlake.

samiksha
03-04-2008, 11:33 AM
The Killers are a fully guilty pleasure; fucking hated Mr. Brightside, still never listen to that goddamn song... The new record wasn't great, either... But the first record AND the first record b-sides are still good.

that's what it takes to be the best. one good album that includes a song you can't stand.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Ooo, okay, here's a better way to change the whole criteria that eliminates any need for rulings:

What act has been the best since 2003? They can have formed beforehand, whatever--which catalog from the past five years is the best?

PotVsKtl
03-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Why?

samiksha
03-04-2008, 11:35 AM
modest mouse still wouldn't be in it.

okay, i'm dropping it.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 11:36 AM
I like deducing the way to definite opinions of "bests." Narrowing down to one single choice that has stood out more than all the rest is a weird habit.

Young blood
03-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Dizzee Rascal.
The Blow.
Glass Candy.
Chromatics.
Bassnectar.
Im in agreance with of Montreal and why?

sorry just one would be of montreal.

PotVsKtl
03-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Why?.

PassiveTheory
03-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Best catalog since 2003?...

Death Cab for Cutie, hands down. Transatlanticism and Plans are two of my favorite records of all time.

Muse's last two releases are also my favorites of them (I'm waiting for Idrive to bitch me out about ignoring Origin of Symmetry...)

The Shins have also released 2 fine records in Chutes Too Narrow and Wincing the Night Away (my no.1 record of last year)

Again, Interpol's catalog and the Dresden Dolls' catalog are both stellar. The AF releases are good. But my favorite discography of the last 5 years is that of DCfC.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 11:39 AM
I like Why? as a plausible even though I've only really listened to Alopecia so far. Mostly because they have a unique sound, which the best answer should.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Passive, you're off the team.

samiksha
03-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Ooo, okay, here's a better way to change the whole criteria that eliminates any need for rulings:

What act has been the best since 2003? They can have formed beforehand, whatever--which catalog from the past five years is the best?

i can agree that by those rules of montreal is good.

Young blood
03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Dude should go back to makin good music with postal service. Me and the olsen twins agree.

PotVsKtl
03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Wow, Glass Candy have changed a lot since they dropped "& the Shattered Theatre." Cheers.

PotVsKtl
03-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah, PassiveTheory, shut the fuck up. Delete.

bmack86
03-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Yeah, they put on a very different show now too. They're quite fun.

Young blood
03-04-2008, 11:44 AM
WHAT- EVER!

wait were u been serious cats?

PassiveTheory
03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
DCfC > your favorite band of the last 5 years.

PotVsKtl
I was being serious. I liked Love Love Love but didn't pay attention to them afterwards. It's a totally different sound.

thestripe
Why? and TV on the Radio definitely make the list.

Young blood
DCfC > your favorite band of the last 5 years.

wrong.

thestripe
03-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Passive are you fucking around, or are you just retarded?

bmack86
03-04-2008, 11:48 AM
WHAT- EVER!

wait were u been serious cats?

Very serious. I love their new sound and their live show is awesome now. Quite Good.

PassiveTheory
03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
I was directing that at Pot.

TonyWonder
03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
After having fully digested Robotique Majestique and being a veteran of their spectacular live shows, I would like to mention the following band as a possible best new "act" of the last five years:

Ghostland Observatory

Young blood
03-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Awesome. Im excited to know we are on team glass candy.

PassiveTheory
03-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I think you should have more than one record to be considered "best" or "great"...

That being said, both MGMT and Ghostland are fucking amazing.

hawkingvsreeve
03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Timberlake.

PassiveTheory
03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Timberlake.

You know nobody is going to try arguing this with you, right?

PotVsKtl
03-04-2008, 11:55 AM
I'd argue but I keep reading it as Clearlake.

TonyWonder
I think you should have more than one record to be considered "best" or "great"...

That being said, both MGMT and Ghostland are fucking amazing.

Ghostland now have three albums and one of the best live shows going.

Young blood
The knife should get some love but I guess we will see what the can pull out on their next album.

bmack86
Have they done anything since Cedars?

PotVsKtl
03-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Apparently they put out Amber in 2006. I haven't heard it.

bmack86
03-04-2008, 11:57 AM
might be worth checking out

PassiveTheory
03-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Ghostland now have three albums and one of the best live shows going.

Well I'll be damned... They do. Alright, then, gonna add them to my list.

BeHereNOW
03-04-2008, 11:59 AM
against me!

(kidding)

KungFuJoe
ghostland makes me want to barf

BeHereNOW
against me>dcfc

(not kidding)

Young blood
03-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Yeah, ghostland is mediocre at best.

They are a fun drunk off your ass live band. Like enjoying Art Brut. You have to be really drunk.

bmack86
03-04-2008, 12:04 PM
I'd hang my hat up for team Liars. Since 2004 they've been on the cutting edge.

orbit
03-04-2008, 12:04 PM

Clark

KungFuJoe
03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
didn't Clark do a track with Broadcast once? i don't know much of his stuff, but remember hearing their collaboration a while back. or am i making this up?

with that said, my vote goes to BROADCAST of course.

good call on the Knife too.

MarkO
03-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Best new band from '03 - '08; Arcade Fire
Best catalog of any band from '03 - '08; Radiohead

That's it.

The rest of this thread smacks of the British music press in the '90s. 1/2 assed bands that are just figuring out how to tune their instruments are being touted as the best thing evAH to ....

Bollocks.

jazzz
03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
The Knife
The Departure
Interpol
Dungen
Mother and the Addicts
Doves

nationocean
03-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Hot Chip? Interpol? MGMT?

Seriously? Those are some shitty ass bands right there.

nationocean
03-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Best new band from '03 - '08; Arcade Fire
Best catalog of any band from '03 - '08; Radiohead

That's it.

The rest of this thread smacks of the British music press in the '90s. 1/2 assed bands that are just figuring out how to tune their instruments are being touted as the best thing evAH to ....

Bollocks.

I mean if 'you people' are really ASKING the big question of who is the best band/act of the last five years and give it some serious thought. MarkO's answer is it.

Deal with it.

amyzzz
03-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Why is this not a poll? Narrow it down to the top 9 or so.

PotVsKtl
03-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Arcade Fire have one decent album and one fairly shitty one. Radiohead's 2003-present output comes nowhere near matching their earlier efforts. There's no correct answer to this question, but it sure as fuck isn't Arcade Fire or Radiohead.

Jacques Johnson
03-04-2008, 01:25 PM
After 08 you will see I too am zee bow-wow.

PotVsKtl
03-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Not funny.

Jacques Johnson
03-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Rozmary Baby my leetle potle

PotVsKtl
03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Ignored.

Jacques Johnson
03-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Potle, Tu m'emmerdes !!!

betao
03-04-2008, 01:58 PM
LCD Soundsystem should be on the list

also, am I the first one to say Kasabian? They're pretty damn good in my opinion.

BlackSwan
03-04-2008, 02:47 PM
The Knife

The knife should get some love but I guess we will see what the can pull out on their next album.

The first The Knife 7" came out in 2000 and the self titled came out in 2001, so it wouldn't count here...

...but they are def way better than most of the acts mentioned on this thread.

wmgaretjax
03-04-2008, 02:54 PM
new rules again Randy... Liars, Grizzly Bear, or Animal Collective, hands down.

mob roulette
03-04-2008, 02:57 PM
This contest is le retard

Why? and TV On The Radio by the original rules

Spoon and The New Pornographers by the amended ones

/

mob roulette
03-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Also Amy Winehouse is still a wonderful singer. As is Santi White. But you didn't hear that from me.

Also M.I.A. but whatever.

Young blood
03-04-2008, 03:06 PM
The first The Knife 7" came out in 2000 and the self titled came out in 2001, so it wouldn't count here...

Yeah you were jamin out to the knife in 2001.

fucking liar.

rage patton
03-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Battles.

MarkO
03-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Arcade Fire have one decent album and one fairly shitty one.

Both albums were excellent, the debut was superb.

Radiohead's 2003-present output comes nowhere near matching their earlier efforts. There's no correct answer to this question, but it sure as fuck isn't Arcade Fire or Radiohead.

Radiohead's pre '03 output is irrelevant to the question at hand.

Please try a little harder.

mob roulette
03-04-2008, 03:11 PM
He's exactly right actually. Not that this needs pointing out to anyone. Except maybe ^ this guy.

wmgaretjax
03-04-2008, 03:18 PM

fucking liar.

I received a burned copy of their ST in 2001... for what's it's worth.

BlackSwan
03-04-2008, 03:21 PM

fucking liar.

where does it say I was "jamin out to the knife in 2001" in my post..?

you=stupid

Young blood
03-04-2008, 03:39 PM
where does it say I was "jamin out to the knife in 2001" in my post..?

you=stupid

You dont make the rules here motherbitch. I do. Silent Shout 2005-2006 is the first time 90% of the interweb heard anything about them.

They stay.

nationocean
03-04-2008, 03:45 PM
The Knife - adored by critics and american hip kids for a voice that essentially sounds exactly like cyndi lauper behind bad 80's synth and drones.

TV on the Radio - pushed by the frantic Trent Reznor as an alternative (ie - no one will tour with him because of his shit) There output is been-there-done-that aesthetics and will never achieve status as a great band this decade.

jazzz
03-04-2008, 03:46 PM
You dont make the rules here motherbitch. I do. Silent Shout 2005-2006 is the first time 90% of the interweb heard anything about them.

They stay.

not here... I been into them since 2002. I'm surprised that they took this long to get popular. I was also lucky to get the very last Knife t-shirt when they played LA a while back. Yeah!!

nationocean
03-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Battles and Liars - too young to tell where they are going. Both have more potential than most mentioned on here. But again, not Best Band/Act in the last five years. If you are going to take that seriously then think about it, don't just throw names out there because you like them or you thought their live show was 'sick' or 'cool'.

nationocean
03-04-2008, 03:50 PM
And if we are REALLY going to put our heads together and think about what's best. I think we should really talk about best band/acts of the decade people. It's 2008. Think about how you felt in 1998, the decade was closing up and you had a good idea about the musical landscape for the past 8 years.

2000-2010. That's the real question, because in 2020, those are the bands we will still be talking about.. for reals.

jazzz
03-04-2008, 03:50 PM

yeah.. but these contest are stupid. Like who's going to pick the winner? LGM? I just list a few bands that I really like over the last 5 years. Fuck it

Blinken
03-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Ah, yes. Now I understand. WTFYA... FPOS.

E

Hmmmm. i thought i was crazy but when you first started posting you reminded me of Delta. Now this post comes? interesting.

amyzzz
03-04-2008, 03:55 PM
The Knife - adored by critics and american hip kids for a voice that essentially sounds exactly like cyndi lauper behind bad 80's synth and drones.

QFT. I hate her fucking voice. The rest of the music is interesting, but her voice makes me not want to listen.

nationocean
03-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Hmmmm. i thought i was crazy but when you first started posting you reminded me of Delta. Now this post comes? interesting.

I don't know what you're talking about. I never posted anything like this Delta person you are talking about..

jazzz
03-04-2008, 04:01 PM
no more like the lovely Clare Grogan of Altered Images... Deep Cuts is top

Blinken
03-04-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't know what you're talking about. I never posted anything like this Delta person you are talking about..

HA, i knew it. You even edited it away. I thought it was you way back, when you first started using the alias. But since i don't post much i thought i would look crazy. So why did you change your post Nation if you claim not to be Delta?

BlackSwan
03-04-2008, 04:04 PM

They stay.

Hey you just proved my equation!

you=stupid

nationocean
03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
HA, i knew it.

Just to mess with you. :) You don't even know who Delta is. Let alone who I am. So stay crazy! lol.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 05:02 PM
TV On The Radio is only good for about four songs tops the rest fall over the edge.

I'm sticking with MGMT in all seriousness for the moment and I think history will back me up. If I'm basing it on the strength of the live performances from acts who actually do strictly meet this criteria, that show was better than any of the other top contenders for me: YYYs at Coach in 06, Arcade Fire in 07 (so I wasn't there in 05, whatev), Interpol...

And two because I'm coming to see this album as being a unique achievement in applying the "electro" part of their description as electro-pop but actually not just pop as being a more complete evolution of this sonic quality than anything else. I don't give a fuck what anybody says: NOTHING felt as awesome as the resonant waves of the Yeahs booming out in 06, and MGMT applies that tone to melodies that actually sound like so many different genres at one point or another in the course of the show.

It will hit you like a classic rock strumming, then motown, then soul, then pop, then almost arena rock, gospel... it's weird. It all feels unified by that "electro" sound, but the progressions don't really fit a single genre. Sonic + rocks + soul + groove = better than all these other options.

Arcade Fire are spectacular, but they're harkening back to another phase of music. They don't feel like anything that's a culmination of these past five years. I think MGMT does, I'm sticking by it.

cansei de ser sexme
03-04-2008, 05:11 PM
man man and Animal Collective

rage patton
03-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Battles and Liars - too young to tell where they are going. Both have more potential than most mentioned on here. But again, not Best Band/Act in the last five years. If you are going to take that seriously then think about it, don't just throw names out there because you like them or you thought their live show was 'sick' or 'cool'.

Liars first album came out in 2004...

and it doesn't matter if Battles are to young. They are easily one of the best bands to come out in the last 5 years.

bmack86
03-04-2008, 05:21 PM
No it didn't.

They Threw Us in a Trench and Stuck a Monument On Top came out in 2001. It's cool, but it's a different sound for them

rage patton
03-04-2008, 05:23 PM
No it didn't.

They Threw Us in a Trench and Stuck a Monument On Top came out in 2001. It's cool, but it's a different sound for them

Fuck. I thought 2004 sounded too late for thier first album. I will admit it... I quickly wikipedia'd it. I knew the Liars wern't a "young" band by anymeans though.

jazzz
03-04-2008, 05:23 PM

I just seen the Liars and they are good. I've been watching them for a couple years and I think being signed to Mute and working with Daniel Miller they will grow to be very very good

bmack86
03-04-2008, 05:32 PM
I don't think they have to grow. They are very very good.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 05:37 PM
... I don't want to ever talk about music with any of you ever again.

Good thread, gang. =)

PotVsKtl
03-04-2008, 06:32 PM
TV on the Radio - There output is been-there-done-that aesthetics.

I'd love to see you back this up.

roberto73
03-04-2008, 06:42 PM
I'd argue but I keep reading it as Clearlake.

Have they done anything since Cedars?

Apparently they put out Amber in 2006. I haven't heard it.

Amber is terrific, but not as good as Cedars. Seek out "It's Getting Light Outside." I lerve Clearlake.

jazzz
03-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't think they have to grow. They are very very good.

I think they are very good as well and being on Mute w/Daniel Miller is a plus I think will even get better

wmgaretjax
03-04-2008, 06:56 PM
you will look back at yourself and feel like a fool for being this obsessed about MGMT Randy...

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't think so, friend. But you go listen to your noise art rock all you want.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Jared has possibly the worst taste of any human I've ever spoken to. Nice guy, though.

If MGMT is just electro-pop then so was Ziggy Stardust. Not saying one's as good as the other, just saying that dismissing them based on that aesthetic is no different than Bowie, or Of Montreal for that matter.

wmgaretjax
03-04-2008, 07:23 PM
You know Randy, I've been listening to the album, just for you. And I enjoy it for what it's worth, I just don't think it's anything too special.

Hey FOI, I haven't heard what you think about the new TMG record... The more I listen to it, the more I want to kick my own ass for skipping their show last week...

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Alright, fair enough. I'm glad that you came around on them a little. Much appreciated, actually.

Obviously I'm a bit infatuated--it was perhaps a case of a Perfect Storm kinda collision of seeing one really great performance that happened to mesh with the acid I was on perfectly. But it's still good fucking music that happens to hit a particular nerve for me because it's all about losing youth.

But I'm banking on them having done something this good that to me feels like it draws from many different styles while making it all a cohesive sound, and they're not even 25 yet. I can't think of many debut albums I thought were this consistently good, particularly by people that young. It's nice--they're more or less exactly where I am (and you too, Jared) and I'm feeling what they're putting out.

I was just trying to think of what one album of the period do I think will end up reminding me most of this weird phase of my life. The only other option really was Antics, and I think this is more original.

rage patton
03-04-2008, 07:35 PM
You know Randy, I've been listening to the album, just for you. And I enjoy it for what it's worth, I just don't think it's anything too special.

That is exactly what I think of the album.

mountmccabe
03-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Best Output Over The Last Five Years - The National, The Mountain Goats, Magnolia Electric Company, Okkervil River

Best Artist To Release Their First Full-Length 2003 Or Later - Two Gallants, the Thermals, the Kills, Wolf Parade

Another Random List Of Bands With No Real Connection - Nasum, Sodastream, Big Black, Codeine

bballarl
03-04-2008, 08:02 PM
The best act of the past five years is clearly my band, despite never having released anything officially.

bmack86
03-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Big Black's back catalog is the best thing I've listened to in the past 5 years.

mountmccabe
03-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Oh I was going to do best bands I got into in the past five years but I forgot. And that seems like too much work.

wmgaretjax
03-04-2008, 08:30 PM
I had a minute of thinking it a rehash, but then as a I listened to the songs one at a time, I recognized the incomparable genious. I will kick you for missing the show. What shouldn't I miss in Seattle weekend after next?

Yeah, I had the same reaction.

As far as shows go... I don't see anything too memorable. However, I ate at a place on Queen Anne called Betty last weekend and it was fantastic. I would recommend that. My current favorite record/CD stores are Wall of Sound and Everyday music (in close proximity of each other). They pale in comparison to a lot of CA stores though.

I'll be in coffee shops (and metal/fabrication shops) all weekend studying for finals, but if you think you might find yourself wandering around and want some good Seattle coffee bean, PM me.

JustSteve
03-04-2008, 08:38 PM
randy, what would you pay for a complete video of the mgmt set at coach, cuz i can make it happen...

ShyGuy75
03-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Obviously I'm a bit infatuated

Yeah, you are starting to ruin it for everyone else. You know, just out of spite for thelastgreatman.

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 08:49 PM
randy, what would you pay for a complete video of the mgmt set at coach, cuz i can make it happen...

... wanna fuck this face?
<--------------

Yeah, you are starting to ruin it for everyone else. You know, just out of spite for thelastgreatman.

Does not compare to spite for ShyGuy. SOME people actually like me. =)

ShyGuy75
03-04-2008, 08:55 PM
SOME people actually like me. =)

Brokendoll and who?

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Well Supre of course.

JustSteve
03-04-2008, 09:00 PM
i'm serious

and i'm enjoying the mgmt while doped up on a bunch of percocet here in the hospital

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Well... probably a significant amount. Taken from audience cam? I would suck so many dicks to have access to all the footage they've filmed at Coach in the two years I've gone.

JustSteve
03-04-2008, 09:11 PM
i will have my dvd cam again this year with backstage access, if in one of the tents then will be easy to film from the side, or even out front from behind the crowd. hopefully it's at night, too, since i'm technically not supposed to be doing it. my ratm, etc. stuff came out amazing last year, so i am excited for this year. i am actually thinking of going with a hard drive cam so i won't have to switch out dvd's and miss parts of the sets, it was a pain in the ass last year.

and i wouldn't charge ya, first ones always free...

thelastgreatman
03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Sweet. So not until the next time will I have to let you bang Supre?

Mr.Nipples
03-04-2008, 09:44 PM
year of our lord IG88

sacleonard
03-04-2008, 10:24 PM
My two cents:

Best Act of the Last Five Years: Arcade Fire (giving weight to their live performances)

Best Catalog of the Last Five Years: Wilco (two great studio CDs, one great live CD)

MGMT: enjoying the CD, but not overwhelmed by it; will be checking them out, as long as there are no major conflicts

woogie846
03-05-2008, 05:43 AM

bmack did you see Grizzly Bear at the Walt Disney Concert Hall?

Memorial_07
03-05-2008, 05:46 AM
this is a hard one.
too much to list.

but I would go with 2Cents.
They are very original and thats what makes them great.

mob roulette
03-05-2008, 07:26 AM
No. No no no.

Isolationist.

thelastgreatman
03-05-2008, 07:30 AM
year of our lord IG88

... He's a bounty hunter AND a musician?

digitalface
03-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Stoney. Never seen him live though. Has anyone?

I guess he had a homegrown release in '01, but his first full-on proper was in 2006. It was pretty good if you like straightforward rock. He's one of the few recent artists I've heard that values lyrical craft as much as the music.

thelastgreatman
03-05-2008, 08:33 AM
... wait a minute, somebody actually named themselves IG88?

digitalface
03-05-2008, 08:37 AM
If we're going sonics and album-craft, I'd say...

Au4

bug on your lip
03-05-2008, 08:41 AM
... wait a minute, somebody actually named themselves IG88?

there was a rock band out of Fargo called Bossk

Hannahrain
03-05-2008, 08:42 AM
And what instrument did you play?

digitalface
03-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Otherwise, I'll offer the best flash-in-the pan bands:

Brazilian Girls
Fujiya & Miyagi
NYPC
Chromeo

Agree with the previously mentioned: