PDA

View Full Version : Bands I'm Staying Away From

nationocean
03-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Like I owe them child support or something!

Friday:
Vampire Weekend
dan le sac
Dap Kings
Swell Season
Tegan and Sara
Slightly Stoopid
Jack Johnson

Saturday:
Yelle
Uffie
Yoav
MGMT
Junkie XL
Kate Nash
Cold War Kids
Stephen Malkmus
Scars on Broadway

Sunday:
Shout out Louds
the Horrors
Black Mountain
Booka Shade
Justice
My Morning Jacket
Love and Rockets

YOU HEARD ME! .. all these bands suck so I will be elsewhere during their sets..

flame on...

gaypalmsprings
03-01-2008, 01:20 PM
JJ of course

coldstart
03-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Uffie.

Memorial_07
03-01-2008, 01:27 PM
really?
dan le sac and Junkie XL?

jonnypark
03-01-2008, 01:27 PM
SLightly Stoopid

i_like_cake530
03-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Vampire Weekend....-20

Stephen Malkmus....-2000

nationocean
03-01-2008, 01:29 PM
really?
dan le sac and Junkie XL?

just not into dan and i just hate HATE junkie.. but it's just my taste.

nationocean
03-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Fuck Vampire Weekend! All you hip kids jumped on that craptacular band wagon for no reason.. barf..

and you only like Stephen because of Pavement. give me a break..

STALINZZZ
03-01-2008, 01:43 PM
I like Malkmus' solo stuff better than Pavement.

JebusLives
03-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Fuck Vampire Weekend! All you hip kids jumped on that craptacular band wagon for no reason.. barf..

and you only like Stephen because of Pavement. give me a break..

I give you a D- in reading comprehension

edit: Actually, I might take that back. Is he saying -20 for vampire weekend, or -20 for SKIPPING vampire weekend? He talks in math. He buzzes like a Fridge.

/confused.

nationocean
03-01-2008, 01:47 PM
yes. yes.

but just trying to rile people up for a bit till my flight.

what i really want to know if anyone is going to miss portishead or roger waters because they don't like them..

zenidogx
03-01-2008, 01:48 PM
mgmt = awesome

Sonicifyouwantit
03-01-2008, 01:52 PM
We all have our preferences, thats why there are 5 stages going at once, Im gonna catch 2 or 3 songs from swell season depending on if it grabs me (same with da le sac). I definitely want to check out love and rockets I like a few of their songs...not as much as I love jesus and marychain though. Seeing Justice although Ive seen them 3 times already at coachella, Hard, one other place cant remember(skipped the fonda show and skipping mayan show) but I like to get stupid on the dance floor so I wont miss. Shout outs Ive seen four times so I doubt im gonna see them again. I really like their first album something about scandanavian bands I like. The others Im pretty much skipping with you though.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-01-2008, 01:53 PM
yes. yes.

but just trying to rile people up for a bit till my flight.

what i really want to know if anyone is going to miss portishead or roger waters because they don't like them..

Seeing roger waters, dont really care about portis but they do sound great mellow or not so I want to hear a few maybe 4 or 5 songs...then moving on

sbessiso
03-01-2008, 01:53 PM
definetly tegan and sara

nationocean
03-01-2008, 01:57 PM
don't like Portis! Sonic! ohnoes!

lol. well that's ok. i still respek ya.

but yeah, with justice, they are just over played and over exposed at this point. seen swell season and just can't get into them. and lol, was on like 8 tour dates with love and rockets and just can't ever be around them again!

frozen pilgrim
03-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I give you a D- in reading comprehension

edit: Actually, I might take that back. Is he saying -20 for vampire weekend, or -20 for SKIPPING vampire weekend? He talks in math. He buzzes like a Fridge.

/confused.

that was the best radiohead reference on this board so far

Cdubby
03-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Friday-

Jack Johnson
Swell Season
Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings
Midnight Juggernauts
Sandra Collins
Jens Lekman
Les Savy Fav

Saturday-

Cafe Tacvba
Rilo Kiley
M.I.A.
Cold War Kids
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks
Yo! Majesty
Kate Nash

Sunday-

Love and Rockets
Chromeo
The Streets
Kid Sister with A-trak

this is who I have checked out and will definitely miss, clears up potential conflicts!

xbnmx
03-01-2008, 02:17 PM

Friday:
Vampire Weekend
dan le sac
Dap Kings
Swell Season
Tegan and Sara
Slightly Stoopid
Jack Johnson

Saturday:
Yelle
Uffie
Yoav
MGMT
Junkie XL
Kate Nash
Cold War Kids
Stephen Malkmus
Scars on Broadway

Sunday:
Shout out Louds
the Horrors
Black Mountain
Booka Shade
Justice
My Morning Jacket
Love and Rockets

YOU HEARD ME! .. all these bands suck so I will be elsewhere during their sets..

flame on...

There are a number of calls on this list I disagree with, but how can you assert that Booka Shade is so horrible?

nationocean
03-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I keep forgetting Rilo Kiley is still playing. Definitely miss them.

Come on Cdubby! have you seen Les Savy Fav? they are really fun live :)

Cdubby
03-01-2008, 02:19 PM
I keep forgetting Rilo Kiley is still playing. Definitely miss them.

Come on Cdubby! have you seen Les Savy Fav? they are really fun live :)

I will actually take that into consideration

nationocean
03-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Tell me what I should listen to for Booka Shade, cuz I haven't found anything by them that I like.

They are one of the few bands I actually haven't seen live yet..

nationocean
03-01-2008, 02:24 PM
mgmt = awesome

i'm sorry but i have STRONG dislike for mgmt. just awful music. hate the voice especially.

ShyGuy75
03-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Justice

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Spiritualized. Pretty much everything happening in the Sahara--I don't know what you Wang crew are talking about, those acts all suck shit. Gogol Bordello just because fuck this purple crap.

malcolmjamalawesome
03-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Spiritualized. Pretty much everything happening in the Sahara--I don't know what you Wang crew are talking about, those acts all suck shit. Gogol Bordello just because fuck this purple crap.

Wang Crew. Win.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Till I die.

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Seriously, I want one of you dorks to provide some piece of evidence that Booka Shade/Boyz Noize/Modeselektor are worth giving a fuck about. I downloaded whatever live sets I could find and didn't give the slightest of fucks after listening. What are you raving lunatics getting so hyped about?

Trick Loves The Kids
03-01-2008, 04:53 PM
my butt. shaking, specifically.

humanoid
03-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Seriously, I want one of you dorks to provide some piece of evidence that Booka Shade/Boyz Noize/Modeselektor are worth giving a fuck about. I downloaded whatever live sets I could find and didn't give the slightest of fucks after listening. What are you raving lunatics getting so hyped about?

how does someone explain music to another person or provide evidence in support of the validity of an artist? sounds like you've already made up your mind.....see what you like, and the dorks will see what they like...

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 04:57 PM
my butt. shaking, specifically.

... I shall officially change my status to "motherfucking rebuffed."

Well done, sir.

betao
03-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Tell me what I should listen to for Booka Shade, cuz I haven't found anything by them that I like.

They are one of the few bands I actually haven't seen live yet..

I had never even heard of Booka Shade until the day I saw them. I saw them last August, and they were FUN AS HELL. I then checked out their studio stuff, and it was very weak. I can totally understand you not liking anything that you've by them, but if you are looking for a good time on sunday, they will bring it.

They are a perfect example of a group you have to see live, but you don't need to listen to their studio stuff. Trust me.

RickeyinLA
03-01-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not even trying to see:

American Bang
Rogue Wave
the Bees
Jens Lekman
Santogold
Stars
Slightly Stoopid
Madness (only because they won't be there)
Jack Johnson

Uffie
Akron Family
Little Brother
Jamie T
Enter Shikari
Scars on Broadway
Flogging Molly

Shout Out Louds
Les Savy Fav
Murs (ewwww)

Everything else? It's on.

betao
03-01-2008, 05:18 PM
i'll be missing for sure...

Jack Johnson
Dwight Yoakam
MIA

Boourns
03-01-2008, 05:28 PM
jack Johnson
slightly stoopid
vampire weekend
my morning jacket
uffy
duffie
kate nash
hot chip
junkie xl
dwight yoakam
cafe tacuba
Jens lekmam
Stephen malkmus
enter shikari
scars on broadway
les savy fav
yo majesty
tegan and sara
the national

im so indie
03-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I think it's ironic that everyone complained about the lineup and now there's a thread listing who you DONT want to see.

orbit
03-01-2008, 05:35 PM
For sure:

Jack Johnson
Ed banger/Kitsune related acts (Justice, Sebastian, SMD, Boys Noize, etc). I might check out Cut Copy, though.
My Morning Jacket
Junkie XL

verveman77
03-01-2008, 05:36 PM
ok Moron> you have some great bands on that post. Cold war kids ROCK dont slam bands except maybe jack johnson. dont see them have fun spankin it in a dirty port o potty

rage patton
03-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Friday:
Mum
Spank Rock
Santogold

Saturday:
MIA
Hot Chip
Enter Shakari
Yo! Majesty
Bonde Do Role

Sunday:
Murs
Sons & Daughters
Kid Sister
Austin TV

JJ goes without saying.

Friday-
Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings

Waaaaaaa?!?! How????

Go see Gogol.

JustSteve
03-01-2008, 06:24 PM
anyone playing before 3pm or so.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-01-2008, 06:58 PM
the only act I will avoid like the plauge is JJ...

idrive1life
03-01-2008, 09:00 PM
J/JJ/J XL/U/GB/MMJ/T&S/CT/DY ...

sin213
03-01-2008, 09:16 PM

seriously consider gogol...they're an amazing party to see live.

and you don't HAVE to wear purple...:cool:

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 09:18 PM
If there are no must-see conflicts I will check out Gogol, I'm not really that much of a dick.

But goddammit if it isn't actually that awesome I'm unleashing on all you motherfuckers.

miscorrections
03-01-2008, 09:20 PM
It's boggling to me that people will stick up for Gogol but not Spiritualized. SPZ is only like a hundred thousand million times better than stupid self-proclaimed punks.

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Spiritualized was one of the most horrible music experiences I ever saw at Field Day, and I'm never changing my fucking mind about it or them.

sin213
03-01-2008, 09:26 PM
If there are no must-see conflicts I will check out Gogol, I'm not really that much of a dick.

But goddammit if it isn't actually that awesome I'm unleashing on all you motherfuckers.

Oh, you'll love it. and I agree with spiritualized...no thanx.

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 09:29 PM
However, I'm making this statement right now: If I'm on acid on Sunday (as I goddamn well better be) and Gogol and Justice conflict after Waters, I WILL choose Justice just because they have the Alive 2007 lighting team designing the show. Despite the fact that Justice is kinda garbage, yes. I choose awesome lights over gypsy punk, even if the music is generic.

brycerosen
03-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Where did u hear the alive 2007 team is doing their lighting???

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 09:34 PM
I forget where. But I'm 90 percent sure. On the other hand, I seem to be the only person on the board that keeps bringing it up. But I'm pretty sure.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-01-2008, 09:44 PM

what do you mean by proof? are we supposed to find some factual writting that says heres the proof, its a fact jack. Its personal choice you either like it or you dont. No one has to prove anything. If you are having fun on the dance floor thats all that matters. If not you move on till you find something that does.

as far as gogol goes, theyve been at every fest Ive been to over the past year +. After a while you just start to pass the stage by because you feel like they will always be around, like a festival residency. Not sayin they arent entertaining though dont get me wrong

leo01g
03-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Friday:
Slightly Stoopid

Saturday:
Dwight Yoakam
Turbonegro
Enter Shikari
I know I said i was going to their set just to mosh but fuck this band is pretty bad

Sunday:
Chromeo
My Morning Jacket
I tried listening to their songs but no dont like them

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I mean proof, as in show an example of why they're anything special. Post a link to something. PROVE, MUTHAFUCKA.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-01-2008, 09:55 PM
don't like Portis! Sonic! ohnoes!

lol. well that's ok. i still respek ya.

but yeah, with justice, they are just over played and over exposed at this point. seen swell season and just can't get into them. and lol, was on like 8 tour dates with love and rockets and just can't ever be around them again!

now now, I didnt say dont like, just not a huge fan...I think I said before on some other thread, sound wise they are great. Especially when the string section kicks in...they can leave the record scratching out though, its just kinda dated.

garrett222
03-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Staying away from:

Friday:
Aesop Rock
Minus the bear
Spank Rock
Slightly Stoopid

Saturday:

Cafe Tacvba
Dwight Yokam
Stephen Malkamus
Turbonegro

Sunday:

Love and Rockets
Spiritualized

garrett222
03-01-2008, 10:19 PM
sonic...i didn't call you a racist for saying 'bro'...read more carefully in the future

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I might have to leave Portishead's set just to run around to every other stage and kick the everloving dogshit out of a random person at each stop along the way just for having the gall to skip Portismotherfuckinghead.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-01-2008, 10:25 PM
sonic...i didn't call you a racist for saying 'bro'...read more carefully in the future

hahaha, aww I love it!

I might have to leave Portishead's set just to run around to every other stage and kick the everloving dogshit out of a random person at each stop along the way just for having the gall to skip Portismotherfuckinghead.

fast as fast can be, you'll never catch me!

msklvr
03-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Friday:
Mum
Spank Rock
Santogold

Saturday:
MIA
Hot Chip
Enter Shakari
Yo! Majesty
Bonde Do Role

Sunday:
Murs
Sons & Daughters
Kid Sister
Austin TV

JJ goes without saying.

Waaaaaaa?!?! How????

Go see Gogol.

Hey!
SEE Mum
MUST SEE Austin TV

Just sayin' man. If you need suggestions of what to listen to, hit me up.

See you at Battles.

C DUB YA
03-02-2008, 10:34 AM

Sunday:
Shout out Louds
the Horrors
Black Mountain
Booka Shade
Justice
My Morning Jacket
Love and Rockets

flame on...

Yeah I heard your retarded statement - Love and Rockets are prolly responsible for a lot of the music you like.

Your loss if you miss them

brycerosen
03-02-2008, 10:35 AM
However, I'm making this statement right now: If I'm on acid on Sunday (as I goddamn well better be) and Gogol and Justice conflict after Waters, I WILL choose Justice just because they have the Alive 2007 lighting team designing the show. Despite the fact that Justice is kinda garbage, yes. I choose awesome lights over gypsy punk, even if the music is generic.

I dont know about XL Video(The guys who did the daft punk imagry) for justice, I went to their web site and scoured the internet and found nothing confirming or even suggesting it

C DUB YA
03-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Staying away from:

Friday:
Spank Rock

Saturday:
Dwight Yokam
Stephen Malkamus

Sunday:
Love and Rockets
Spiritualized

D U M B to miss these.

(esp Love and Rockets and Spiritualized)

rage patton
03-02-2008, 10:37 AM

If you go see Gogol, don't stand at the back and be one of those lame motherfuckers. Come up to the front and fucking party with Gogol! If we're lucky, they will do the bass drum crowd surf again. I doubt it... but we may be lucky. And also, if you are fucked up, I could only imagine it would be a better experience for you.

You and some other guy claim to Alive 2007 team is making thier new stage and engineering their sound. Nowhere is there any evidence of this. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. But, as of right now we don't know if this is true or not.
Also, I highly, highly doubt Gogol and Justice will conflict. If you go to the conflicts thread Dani started, the most common conflict people want to avoid is "Rodger Waters vs Justice vs Gogol." So if GV is smart, none of those 3 acts will conflict.

rage patton
03-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Hey!
SEE Mum
MUST SEE Austin TV

Just sayin' man. If you need suggestions of what to listen to, hit me up.

See you at Battles.

Sorry man. I listened to Mum and Austin TV and neither did anything for me. They weren't bad... like Yo! Majesty bad. They just didn't really do anything for me.
But yes. This time I WILL see Battles. Fatboy Slim and Battles are my only two MUST see acts on Friday. And if they conflict... fuuuuuck I will be mad.

msklvr
03-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Sorry man. I listened to Mum and Austin TV and neither did anything for me. They weren't bad... like Yo! Majesty bad. They just didn't really do anything for me.
But yes. This time I WILL see Battles. Fatboy Slim and Battles are my only two MUST see acts on Friday. And if they conflict... fuuuuuck I will be mad.

Well if you can, check out Austin TV on Sunday at least.

I don't think you will have a problem with Fatboy/Battles conflict. It seems very unlikely. I am hoping for Battles around 5 at the outdoor theater. A Fatboy/Verve conflict seems more likely. Any great JJ conflict is welcome.

PassiveTheory
03-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Just the bands I downright dislike/hate:

- Animal Collective
- Battles
- Enter Shitkari
- Yo! Majesty
- Mark Ronson
- Calvin Harris
- Tegan and Sara
- Scars on Broadway

And there's more, but it'd be tedious to list the bands I'm not even trying to see.

thelastgreatman
03-02-2008, 10:48 AM
If you go see Gogol, don't stand at the back and be one of those lame motherfuckers. Come up to the front and fucking party with Gogol! If we're lucky, they will do the bass drum crowd surf again. I doubt it... but we may be lucky. And also, if you are fucked up, I could only imagine it would be a better experience for you.

You and some other guy claim to Alive 2007 team is making thier new stage and engineering their sound. Nowhere is there any evidence of this. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. But, as of right now we don't know if this is true or not.
Also, I highly, highly doubt Gogol and Justice will conflict. If you go to the conflicts thread Dani started, the most common conflict people want to avoid is "Rodger Waters vs Justice vs Gogol." So if GV is smart, none of those 3 acts will conflict.

Waters won't conflict with either of them, and this message board isn't really an accurate reflection of how desired Gogol Bordello is for most people I don't think.

Also, I absolutely will not come up front and party with Gogol. People will get fucking headbutted. I don't like being touched by strangers, I don't care if they're partying.

I don't remember where I got the Justice thing from, I wish I did. But then I think maybe I heard it from a source I can't repeat anyway, so it might be best.

msklvr
03-02-2008, 10:49 AM
I am interested to know if anyone disliking Scars on Broadway is doing so because they are just System of a Down minus the singer or because they have no recorded material as of yet. Just curious.

PassiveTheory
03-02-2008, 10:52 AM
I am interested to know if anyone disliking Scars on Broadway is doing so because they are just System of a Down minus the singer or because they have no recorded material as of yet. Just curious.

Serj has always been the focal point for me concerning SOAD as a group (since Shavo sucks beyond belief on bass), also I hate Daron's voice, absolutely hate it... And the music sounds like crap.

msklvr
03-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I actually like Daron's voice more than Serj's. Strange.

And where are you even hearing SoB music? Is there a release somewhere I don't know of?

DaFunkyPrecedent
03-02-2008, 11:03 AM

Friday:
Vampire Weekend
dan le sac
Dap Kings
Swell Season
Tegan and Sara
Slightly Stoopid
Jack Johnson

Saturday:
Yelle
Uffie
Yoav
MGMT
Junkie XL
Kate Nash
Cold War Kids
Stephen Malkmus
Scars on Broadway

Sunday:
Shout out Louds
the Horrors
Black Mountain
Booka Shade
Justice
My Morning Jacket
Love and Rockets

flame on...

sucks...your gonna miss a whole lot of good bands. How about you dont think and just go and have fun. Make no plans, it always goes way better that way. I may see Black Mountain, I may not - cause in reality, it's all just one big blur anyway.

PassiveTheory
03-02-2008, 11:04 AM
There's a SOB BYOB Demo that, for lack of a better word, is lackluster.

morphous12
03-02-2008, 12:23 PM

Friday:
Vampire Weekend
dan le sac
Dap Kings
Swell Season
Tegan and Sara
Slightly Stoopid
Jack Johnson

Saturday:
Yelle
Uffie
Yoav
MGMT
Junkie XL
Kate Nash
Cold War Kids
Stephen Malkmus
Scars on Broadway

Sunday:
Shout out Louds
the Horrors
Black Mountain
Booka Shade
Justice
My Morning Jacket
Love and Rockets

flame on...

...yet another negative thread

betao
03-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Randy, I appreciate your willingness to check out Gogol if your schedule allows it, but if you do decide to watch them, please do it with an open mind. Right now, you seem to have a negative opinion of them, so I worry that if you do watch them, you will end up being very critical of them rather than actually trying to enjoy the show.

thelastgreatman
03-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't really have a negative opinion, I've heard a ton of great things. But I've listened to them in recorded form and not really been compelled to listen to it repeatedly, and I think the case for the awesomeness of their live show is more geared towards the mentality that wants to be in the middle of a really energetic, partying crowd--like Rage (I think) urged me to join if I see them.

Problem is I don't like that. That's why I'm doubtful that I'll have the same reaction.

betao
03-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Well then that makes sense, and is understandable. I, too, like the high energy party crowd. I gave Gogol a few listens (studio tracks, not live) and wasn't really impressed, but then I searched for them on youtube, and saw what the actual show was like...and now I HAVE to be there. It's something that I am really looking forward to, one big party. If you aren't into that, then chances are Gogol won't be for you. But if you do see them live, you can honestly say you've given them a chance.

rage patton
03-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Waters won't conflict with either of them, and this message board isn't really an accurate reflection of how desired Gogol Bordello is for most people I don't think.

Also, I absolutely will not come up front and party with Gogol. People will get fucking headbutted. I don't like being touched by strangers, I don't care if they're partying.

I talked to a lot of people at Coachella last year who were pissed right the fuck off they had to miss Gogol for Bjork. They were wondering why on earth Coachella would do that. That is why I am guessing they got Gogol back this year. A TON of people wanted to see them, but couldn't due to the Bjork conflict. I think Gogol are a bigger deal off the board then on this board actually.

And the crowd for Gogol at Coachella was a blast. It was incredible. The audience was SO good. Everyone was jumping, and dancing and singing together. No mosh pits. No circle pits. No headbutting. Everyone was generally friendly, and just wanted to have a good time together. That in generally what I like on my music. And Gogol obviously noticed how excellent the crowd was. They do the bass drum crowd surf only on the rare occasion, and they chose Coachella as one of those occasions.

summerkid
03-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Friday
Jack Johnson
Tegan and Sara
Slightly Stoopid (can't emphasize this enough)
Black Kids
Does it Offend You Yeah?
Dan Deacon
Battles
American Bang

Saturday
Dwight Yoakam
Kate Nash
Mark Ronson
Scars on Broadway
Enter Shikari
Yo Majesty
Jamie T
Teenagers
Electric Touch
Uffie

Sunday
The Streets
Duffy
Plastiscines

brando4n82
03-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Puzzles me everytime i hear someone praise Gogol Bordello. and yes, I've seen them live.

paganman7
03-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Just the bands I downright dislike/hate:

- Animal Collective
- Battles
- Enter Shitkari
- Yo! Majesty
- Mark Ronson
- Calvin Harris
- Tegan and Sara
- Scars on Broadway

And there's more, but it'd be tedious to list the bands I'm not even trying to see.

Battles...seriously? I'm quite excited to see them.

Boourns
03-03-2008, 07:48 AM
I still don't understand why Slightly Stoopid is playing when acts like Final Fantasy weren't invited.

eskomo one
03-03-2008, 07:54 AM
FUCK ENTER SHITkari

betao
03-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Battles is one of my MUST SEES on Friday. I can't wait to pogo with hundreds of other people during Atlas.

nationocean
03-03-2008, 08:20 AM
I had never even heard of Booka Shade until the day I saw them. I saw them last August, and they were FUN AS HELL. I then checked out their studio stuff, and it was very weak. I can totally understand you not liking anything that you've by them, but if you are looking for a good time on sunday, they will bring it.

They are a perfect example of a group you have to see live, but you don't need to listen to their studio stuff. Trust me.

Hmm. I will take into consideration.

betao
03-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Please do. Trust me, you won't regret it.

nationocean
03-03-2008, 08:26 AM
...yet another negative thread

really? doesn't seem negative to me. just people giving their opinions about music.

nothing wrong with that at all.

nationocean
03-03-2008, 08:34 AM
but i don't think i could be swayed about gogol. seen live and don't like at all.

PotVsKtl
03-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Who fucking cares.

thelastgreatman
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I talked to a lot of people at Coachella last year who were pissed right the fuck off they had to miss Gogol for Bjork. They were wondering why on earth Coachella would do that. That is why I am guessing they got Gogol back this year. A TON of people wanted to see them, but couldn't due to the Bjork conflict. I think Gogol are a bigger deal off the board then on this board actually.

And the crowd for Gogol at Coachella was a blast. It was incredible. The audience was SO good. Everyone was jumping, and dancing and singing together. No mosh pits. No circle pits. No headbutting. Everyone was generally friendly, and just wanted to have a good time together. That in generally what I like on my music. And Gogol obviously noticed how excellent the crowd was. They do the bass drum crowd surf only on the rare occasion, and they chose Coachella as one of those occasions.

Gogol are a bigger deal off the board? Are you serious? Nobody fucking knows who Gogol Bordello is unless they keep up with music festivals or read music magazines. I haven't listened to the radio in ages, but I'm pretty positive you'd never fucking hear them on it.

brando4n82
03-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I still don't understand why Slightly Stoopid is playing when acts like Final Fantasy weren't invited.

hm, do we know for a fact GV didnt extend an invitation his way? I'd be surprised if that was the case, and yeah i dont think anyone really understands why Slightly Stoopid is on the bill

M Sparks
03-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Nobody fucking knows who Gogol Bordello is unless they keep up with music festivals or read music magazines.

The Madonna obsessives know them because they'll latch onto anything Madonna likes.

Also, tons and tons of people read music magazines. What's the circulation of Rolling Stone? Million and a half?

However, most RS readers and Madonna fans will not be going to Coachella, so point taken.

PassiveTheory
03-03-2008, 10:38 AM
You just defeated your own point.

rage patton
03-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Gogol are a bigger deal off the board? Are you serious? Nobody fucking knows who Gogol Bordello is unless they keep up with music festivals or read music magazines. I haven't listened to the radio in ages, but I'm pretty positive you'd never fucking hear them on it.

I know a bunch of people who listen to, and like Gogol, and its not because I told them to listen to them. I don't listen to the radio either, and I am also pretty sure they will never be heard on the radio. However, an almost sold out US tour last year shows that more then a few people know who Gogol Bordello are.

nationocean
03-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Who fucking cares.

how did i go from being the most negative poster on here, to you being the worst person on this message board. you are a miserable fuck face that tries to start so many boring fights with people.

now i know why people hated me.

nationocean
03-03-2008, 11:09 AM
D U M B to miss these.

(esp Love and Rockets and Spiritualized)

Sorry. you keep pushing love and rockets and they are terrible. after touring the last decade with shit bands like orgy and powerman 5000 in tiny obscure venues.. they aren't relevant or good enough to qualify second line status on that poster.. let alone be watched at the festival. i will be as far away as possible.. thank you very much.

DaFunkyPrecedent
03-03-2008, 11:41 AM
gorgol has been on letterman and conon - opened for primus too on a tour. I feel like they have a lot of fans out there. Atleast people who know they want to see them live. They're one of those bands that just has hype....

M Sparks
03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
after touring the last decade with shit bands like orgy and powerman 5000 in tiny obscure venues..

First of all, they haven't toured AT ALL in the last decade. That's why they are the "reunion act" of the day.

Second, since when does the quality of an opening act have anything to do with the quality of a headliner?

they aren't relevant or good enough to qualify second line status on that poster.

I would agree with you, except sadly, there's no one else on Sunday who really deserves to be billed above them.

Looking over the reunion acts of the last few years, I would argue that in America, Love + Rockets were more popular than any of them, except maybe New Order. Hell, they were bigger than Bauhaus, and they were IN Bauhaus. They weren't as "important" as Bauhaus, or The Pixies, or even the Jesus & Mary Chain. But "important" doesn't = great show...see Happy Mondays.

Nobody was clamoring for a Love + Rockets reunion, but they're going to come out, play an hour of hits us old fogeys remember fondly, and leave. Good enough for me.

meyouseek
03-03-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm glad to see a lot of the bands I want to see on people's avoid lists. Coachella wouldn't be much fun if we all just followed each other around from stage to stage.

Here are my "no fucking way" lists by day.

friday
Verve
Raconteurs
National
Tegan & Sara
Swell Season
Stars
Porter

saturday
Cafe Tacvba
Dwight Yoakam
Man Man
Animal Collective
Stephen Malkmus
Flogging Molly
VHS or Beta
MGMT

sunday
Love & Rockets
My Morning Jacket
Metric
Autolux
I'm From Barcelona
Austin TV
Plasticines
Horrors
Grand Ole Party
Brett Dennen
Linton Kwesi Johnson
Manchester Orchestra

Boourns
03-03-2008, 02:12 PM
The Verve and Metric?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/lockefailoi5.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/fail1.jpg

PotVsKtl
03-03-2008, 03:13 PM
how did i go from being the most negative poster on here, to you being the worst person on this message board. you are a miserable fuck face that tries to start so many boring fights with people.

now i know why people hated me.

People hate you because you're an idiot with too long a half-life. I on the other hand am loved and revered by all my loyal fans. Fuck a goat.

Cdubby
03-03-2008, 03:15 PM
lol

PassiveTheory
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Looking over the reunion acts of the last few years, I would argue that in America, Love + Rockets were more popular than any of them, except maybe New Order. Hell, they were bigger than Bauhaus, and they were IN Bauhaus. They weren't as "important" as Bauhaus, or The Pixies, or even the Jesus & Mary Chain. But "important" doesn't = great show...see Happy Mondays.

God yes, at least Daniel Ash and David J can still perform...

nationocean
03-03-2008, 03:23 PM
People hate you because you're an idiot with too long a half-life. I on the other hand am loved and revered by all my loyal fans. Fuck a goat.

half-life?

fans?

fuck a goat?

PassiveTheory
03-03-2008, 03:24 PM
I think Pot deserves 5 points for using half-life in a relevant fashion.

+5

nationocean
03-03-2008, 03:30 PM
lol

orly719
03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Portishead, Kraftwerk, M.I.A., Enter Shikari.

thelastgreatman
03-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Who the fuck was Nation before making this name? Or is he just using the past-tense of hate as wishful thinking?

nutcase890
03-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm glad to see a lot of the bands I want to see on people's avoid lists. Coachella wouldn't be much fun if we all just followed each other around from stage to stage.

Here are my "no fucking way" lists by day.

friday
Verve
Raconteurs
National
Tegan & Sara
Swell Season
Stars
Porter

saturday
Cafe Tacvba
Dwight Yoakam
Man Man
Animal Collective
Stephen Malkmus
Flogging Molly
VHS or Beta
MGMT

sunday
Love & Rockets
My Morning Jacket
Metric
Autolux
I'm From Barcelona
Austin TV
Plasticines
Horrors
Grand Ole Party
Brett Dennen
Linton Kwesi Johnson
Manchester Orchestra

what the hell????? you're crazy. CRZY!

Animal Collective, Man Man, Raconteurs or Floggin' Molly are like, half my reasons for going.

Tupper
03-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Gogol Bordello..........Saw them at bonaroo last year and I just didn't get it. Reminded me of a band at some eastern european wedding......YAWN