PDA

View Full Version : Who knows themselves some Silver Mt. Zion?

bmack86
03-01-2008, 09:25 AM
I heard a Silver Mt. Zion song on the radio yesterday, and it blew me away, so I'm going to give them a chance. It was over 20 minutes long, really extended pieces, and super awesome.

What should I get by them, what are some of their best tracks, what is their band name now? These are the questions I pose to you, my faithful musical friends.

gratytrainridesagain
03-01-2008, 10:21 AM
what is their band name now? These are the questions I pose to you, my faithful musical friends.

Some of the members were part of Godspeed You! Black Emperor if you're not familiar you should check them out. In my opinion Godspeed is better but Silver Mt. Zion is still great. The albums I like the best is Horses in the Sky by Silver Mt. and Lift Your Skinny Fists by Godspeed.

canexplain
03-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Some of the members were part of Godspeed You! Black Emperor if you're not familiar you should check them out. In my opinion Godspeed is better but Silver Mt. Zion is still great. The albums I like the best is Horses in the Sky by Silver Mt. and Lift Your Skinny Fists by Godspeed.

i just saw a review that compared gybe to sigur ros ... is that pretty much the case ? x****

bmack86
03-01-2008, 10:27 AM
I know Godspeed well. I'm asking Silver Mt.

I think they're now Thee Silver Mt. Zion's Crazy Automated Orchestra ft. Dancing Robots or something.

gratytrainridesagain
03-01-2008, 10:32 AM
i just saw a review that compared gybe to sigur ros ... is that pretty much the case ? x****

Not really but at times I can see that. They more so just have really long songs about 16-20 minutes on average. The main song playing throughout 28 Days Later is a Godspeed song if that helps at all.

gratytrainridesagain
03-01-2008, 10:42 AM
I know Godspeed well. I'm asking Silver Mt.

I think they're now Thee Silver Mt. Zion's Crazy Automated Orchestra ft. Dancing Robots or something.

I really like their latest "Horses in the Sky" the best songs are "Mountains Made OF Steam" and "Ring Them Bells" otherwise all of "He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corners of Our Rooms" is great.

gratytrainridesagain
03-01-2008, 10:44 AM
http://www.myspace.com/silvermtzion

Here's their myspace

STALINZZZ
03-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Their name is now Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-La-La Band. IMO their best album is their first one: He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms…

bmack86
03-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Their name is now Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-La-La Band. IMO their best album is their first one: He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms…

THat's the sorta stuff I'm looking for. Why do you like the first one best, Stalin?

nationocean
03-01-2008, 02:25 PM
and the Tra La La Band!

I Knows them! Seen them play live!

fasttrack
03-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Born into Trouble as the Sparks Fly Upward is a great album by them.
the best song on that album imo is "could've moved mountains"
horses in the sky is also awesome. "god bless our dead marines" is a good track off that one.

wmgaretjax
03-01-2008, 02:56 PM
I think they are better than Godspeed... Their whole catalog is good, if you can't find something Brian, just let me know via PM.

bmack86
03-01-2008, 02:59 PM
I found a discography torrent, and after listening to one album, I'd agree. I liked it better than anything Godspeed's done. They're very impressive.

wmgaretjax
03-01-2008, 03:39 PM
I found a discography torrent, and after listening to one album, I'd agree. I liked it better than anything Godspeed's done. They're very impressive.

I like Godspeed, don't get me wrong... They are just... Kind of boring. Silver Mt. Zion really engages, whereas Godspeed was always background music for me.

tessalasset
03-02-2008, 03:10 PM
yeah Could've Moved Mountains is my favorite song of theirs by far. It's on my "prettiest songs ive ever heard in my life" mix.

Tylerdurden31
03-02-2008, 06:04 PM
I'd go with This is Our Punk-Rock...but "Corners" is definitely #2

gratytrainridesagain
05-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Seen these guys and gals last night and it was amazing. One of the best shows I've ever seen if not the best, well actually nothing can beat Portishead but this was close. If they come to your town I would strongly suggest seeing this.