PDA

View Full Version : SOMETIMES IT PAYS TO LIVE IN OHIO... SOMETIMES

C DUB YA
02-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Like when we are the political hotbed of activity come election time.

Sure this is nothing new, but what is new is what just got announced.

ARCADE FIRE CONCERTS IN OHIO THIS WEEKEND - FREE!

Saturday they play Nelsonville, in a little club whihc is about hour and a half south of Columbus, they play Akron on Sunday and wrap things up Monday at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland.

All of this is in support of Obama of course, but jeez, FREE Arcade Fire. Did I mention it's FREE? Crazy, the announcement just says, first come - first serve. Wonder how many people will turn up? It did take them a few months to sell out a 5000 seat theater here in the fall.

suprefan
02-29-2008, 07:13 PM
A LOT, I wonder how fast Delta is booking his plane tickets righ tnow.

summerkid
02-29-2008, 07:14 PM
see Rage, told you arcade fire was an American band.

rage patton
02-29-2008, 07:19 PM
How does this make them an American band?

suprefan
02-29-2008, 07:22 PM

like this

Win Butler, Will Butler, Regine Chassagne and Jeremy Gara of the Arcade Fire will be playing a free concert on Sunday, March 2nd at Stuart's Opera House in Nelsonville, Ohio in support of Barack Obama's bid for the Democratic nomination. The show is at 7 p.m., first come first serve.

They will also be playing a free show at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland on Monday, March 3rd. Doors are at 7 p.m., and the show is 18 and over, first come first serve.

Though the Arcade Fire is known as a Canadian band, Win and Will were born and raised in the U.S. (and spent their formative years in Texas), Regine is a dual citizen whose dad served in Vietnam, and Jeremy Gara is just a really nice Canadian who likes playing music and is sick of explaining to Americans what universal health care means

summerkid
02-29-2008, 07:22 PM

well it was said in jest, but the reason they are playing these free shows is to try and get more votes for Obama.

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Holy fucking shit. I wonder if I can hop on a plane and get there. Cdub, what's the closest airport?

summerkid
02-29-2008, 07:24 PM
meh, it kind of defeats the purpose of the concerts for you to do that captn.

suprefan
02-29-2008, 07:25 PM
She can fly for free, its a nice perk with her job.

rage patton
02-29-2008, 07:28 PM
So 2.5 members are American out of the 8 or 9 members in the band. But they formed in Montreal. Wrote in Montreal. Started playing gig in Montreal. Were part of the Montreal indie scene. And are one of Canada's biggest musical exports... yet they are somehow American?

You Americans are such fucking Imperialists. You can't stand the fact that something great can come out of a Country other then yours. So, when you find out it isn't your, you claim it to be anyways. Now I know why Madonna pretends to be British.

chiapet
Wow, thanks for posting this. I'm gonna let my sibs know.

summerkid
but unless she's a registered voter in Ohio its kind of a slap in the face.

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 07:29 PM
It's a great perk; trade off for the lower salary that I get. So yeah, that would rule if I could hop on a plane and hit that Sunday show and then just fly home Monday morning.

captncrzy
but unless she's a registered voter in Ohio its kind of a slap in the face.

What do you mean? I can't go if I don't live in Ohio?

suprefan
Do it Jen, come on............ Tell us if Delta is there.

You can go to this thign regardless if you are registered or not.

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 07:30 PM
So 2.5 members are American out of the 8 or 9 members in the band. But they formed in Montreal. Wrote in Montreal. Started playing gig in Montreal. Were part of the Montreal indie scene. And are one of Canada's biggest musical exports... yet they are somehow American?

You Americans are such fucking Imperialists. You can't stand the fact that something great can come out of a Country other then yours. So, when you find out it isn't your, you claim it to be anyways. Now I know why Madonna pretends to be British.

Canadians are Eh Holes.

j/k

summerkid

my post was tongue and cheek, but its not like there isn't any validity in the statement i mean c'mon the primary song writer is a fucking texan.

captncrzy
Do it Jen, come on............ Tell us if Delta is there.

You can go to this thign regardless if you are registered or not.

I'm gonna go if my airline flys into that airport. Whatever the closest airport is to Akron. I'm checking now.

C DUB YA
02-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Holy fucking shit. I wonder if I can hop on a plane and get there. Cdub, what's the closest airport?

Columbus is the easiest (CMH), and prolly cheapest way to go, (Skybus hub as well) your other option would be Cincy, but that's adding an hour or two of drive time to Nelsonville alone.

C DUB YA
02-29-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm gonna go if my airline flys into that airport. Whatever the closest airport is to Akron. I'm checking now.

Cleveland (Lakewood)

rage patton
Even Time Magazine recognizes they are a Canadian band.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/Arcade_Fire_on_TIME_Cover.jpg

summerkid
What do you mean? I can't go if I don't live in Ohio?

i don't know, the purpose of these concerts are to rally support for Obama IN OHIO. That's the reason they are free. I just feel its bad karma.

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 07:33 PM
i don't know, the purpose of these concerts are to rally support for Obama IN OHIO. That's the reason they are free. I just feel its bad karma.

I voted for Obama in the AZ primary; I'm an Obama supporter. No bad karma here.

summerkid
Even Time Magazine recognizes they are a Canadian band.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/Arcade_Fire_on_TIME_Cover.jpg

lol

a. time sucks

b. that's the canadian edition.

suprefan
Who says she isnt going to vote for Obama anyway?

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Cleveland (Lakewood)

The closest airport to Sunday's show is Akron, correct? (CAK)? If so, my airline does fly there...../

hypervera

finally somebody realized how they work. well american band too because they are from a continent called America, arcade fire is a canadian band. PERIOD!

summerkid
I voted for Obama in the AZ primary; I'm an Obama supporter. No bad karma here.

but this is for ohio voters...to get kids who are probably too lazy to go out and vote to vote for Obama. If you were a Clinton supporter I would kind of get what you were doing.

chiapet
02-29-2008, 07:35 PM
captn - Akron has its own airport, but you'd likely lay over in Cleveland. I frequently find that the flights are cheaper with Akron as the destination, and sometimes buy one-way flights and then skip the Akron shuttle and just rent a car (faster than waiting for a layover + flight, unless there is heavy snow). Akron/Canton airport is CAK. Akron airport is really tiny and is a breeze to get in and out of. You can literally drive up to the front door and get through security in minutes.

Cleveland airport is also close (probably about 1.5 hour driving time including traffic, to get to Akron), and 15-30 minutes from Beachland depending on traffic and weather.

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Damn the flights into Akron are shitty because there's a Philly connection. But I can take a red-eye and fly into Cleveland DIRECT. Hmmmm..I'm gonna have to see if I can get into this.

rage patton
lol

a. time sucks

a. I don't read Time.

b. So.

You are just a jelous imperialist. Its ok.

By the way, I have adopted Jack White as a Canadian.

chiapet
Saw your post after I finished posting, yes, Akron's airport is CAK and is the closest for the Akron show.

suprefan
02-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Damn the flights into Akron are shitty because there's a Philly connection. But I can take a red-eye and fly into Cleveland DIRECT. Hmmmm..I'm gonna have to see if I can get into this.

DO IT DO IT DO IT

C DUB YA
OK The Sunday show in Akron is now not listed on the announcement?

I will try and find out what's up. Tomorrow's and Mondays are definitely on though, it was just on the local news for crying out loud! Woah.

Beachland Balrrom rocks by the way - super duper small, it used to be this like old immigrant dance hall.

http://www.beachlandballroom.com/

captncrzy
but this is for ohio voters...to get kids who are probably too lazy to go out and vote to vote for Obama. If you were a Clinton supporter I would kind of get what you were doing.

I'll go out and campaign for Obama. If I take the red eye, I'll get in at 5am Sunday morning. I'll pass out flyers, show my boobs, and go to the show.

captncrzy
DO IT DO IT DO IT

Come with me!!!

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 07:38 PM
OK The Sunday show in Akron is now not listed on the announcement?

I will try and clarify. Tomorrow's and Mondays are definitely on though, it was just on the local news for crying out loud! Woah.

Let me know; I'll get up early and check info.

Wine is getting to me; I'm guessing when I get up, I'll have changed my mind...

suprefan
02-29-2008, 07:40 PM
I work this weekend, no can do.

captncrzy
I work this weekend, no can do.

Damn.

summerkid
a. I don't read Time.

b. So.

You are just a jelous imperialist. Its ok.

By the way, I have adopted Jack White as a Canadian.

lol but he's not canadian. Arcade Fire sounds every much canadian as they do American I mean look at their influences: Springsteen, Orbison etc etc can't really get more American than those two and like I've said before there is a reason for it, its because they consist of Americans and Canadians.

summerkid
02-29-2008, 07:41 PM
I'll go out and campaign for Obama. If I take the red eye, I'll get in at 5am Sunday morning. I'll pass out flyers, show my boobs, and go to the show.

haha that'll do then. No bad karma.

suprefan
02-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Damn.

Sorry, you know I would. I swear I would drag Sasha with me too. And your last post is sig worthy.

thelastgreatman
02-29-2008, 07:42 PM
a. time sucks

You're an idiot. Unless just the Canadian edition sucks, which would make sense and further go to support how nothing good can come out of there.

rage patton
02-29-2008, 07:43 PM
But less then 1/4 of the band is American.

And just because a band is influenced by artists outside of thier own country, it doesnt mean they are suddenly part of that country.

captncrzy
Sorry, you know I would. I swear I would drag Sasha with me too. And your last post is sig worthy.

So sig it dude. Hook a sista up.

C DUB YA
Ok just called a radio station friend of mine - the Akron show got pulled this evening due to some conflict with the University of Akron.

But - The Nelsonville show (tomorrow) and the Cleveland show (Monday) at the Beachland Ballroom are definitely on!!!

chiapet
02-29-2008, 07:44 PM
BTW, you probably don't want to stay in hotels immediately near that venue. I'd look for something in Beachwood, Richmond Heights, Highland Heights, or Willoughy/Willoughy Hills (or even downtown, or near the airport if you plan on flying right back).

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh fuck; nvm then; Sunday is the only day I could pull off.

Goddammit.

summerkid
02-29-2008, 07:45 PM
You're an idiot. Unless just the Canadian edition sucks, which would make sense and further go to support how nothing good can come out of there.

I'm an idiot for saying Time sucks? The magazine that just named Putin man of the year.

suprefan
02-29-2008, 07:46 PM
So sig it dude. Hook a sista up.

I dont do a sig.

And crap that sucks u cant make it now.

chiapet
02-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Ah, that sucks.

thelastgreatman
02-29-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm an idiot for saying Time sucks? The magazine that just named Putin man of the year.

Yes. Yet another dumb fuck who doesn't understand why their men of the year are a perfect example of why they don't suck.

idrive1life
02-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Arcade Fire save America!

E

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 07:49 PM
I dont do a sig.

And crap that sucks u cant make it now.

Yeah to get into a "first come first serve" Saturday show, I'd need to leave RIGHT NOW. And I need to be at work on Monday for some very important stuff. Cuz I'm so important and all. barf.

C DUB YA
02-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Here is a shot from the Beachland Ballroom, taken from about halfway back.

http://www.bwilms.com/pictures/2005/post_20050518_decemberists.jpg

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Ok Cdub; if you're going, I expect a full report.

C DUB YA
02-29-2008, 07:52 PM
I am going Monday, fo sho.

chiapet
I really like beachland. I don't know why I didn't go to more shows when I lived there - I was like 15 minutes away.

captncrzy
I am going Monday, fo sho.

Pics man; pics. And see if Win will sign your chest.

C DUB YA
02-29-2008, 07:54 PM
I'll see what I can do, but considering Obama just had like 25,000 show up in Columbus Wednesday, I'm sure, things are gonna be crazy. Then again, this is last minute, and from what I can gather, under the radar to most.

C DUB YA
02-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I really like beachland. I don't know why I didn't go to more shows when I lived there - I was like 15 minutes away.

When I saw the Super Furry Animals / Boom Bip there a few years ago, it went down as one of my fave shows of all time, and the venue had alot to do with it .

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm so jealous I may vomit into my tank top.

chiapet
02-29-2008, 07:57 PM
I bet! I think I remember talking venues with you before. I kick myself every time I think about all the shows I skipped because I didn't venue out as much in those days.

C DUB YA
02-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Came across this the other day.

I love this picture (also from the Beachland) The Fall.

http://www.visi.com/fall/news/pics/03jul01_photos/03jul01_stage-lg.jpg

chiapet
02-29-2008, 08:02 PM
I think it opened only a few months before I moved... I know I saw at least a couple of shows there but can't remember which. It amuses me that I considered it a "bigger" venue (I guess compared to the old grog shop).

C DUB YA
02-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah compared to that, my bedroom is bigger

jazzz
02-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Came across this the other day.

I love this picture (also from the Beachland) The Fall.

http://www.visi.com/fall/news/pics/03jul01_photos/03jul01_stage-lg.jpg

ha! there's Mark E. Smith messin' with his mics and dentures

JustSteve
02-29-2008, 08:22 PM
finally somebody realized how they work. well american band too because they are from a continent called America, arcade fire is a canadian band. PERIOD!

when someone says they are "american" no one thinks of a canadian or a mexican. america = united states. you = dumb.

chiapet
02-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Uhm, in the United States, when someone says "American", US is assumed. That is not necessarily true outside of the US.

orbit
02-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Actually, in all the other countries of the american continent when someone says 'american' no one thinks of the US, but of the whole continent.

rage patton
02-29-2008, 09:08 PM
The Arcade Fire are a Canadian band. Not a United States band.

There we go. Now thats all cleared up.

idrive1life
02-29-2008, 09:13 PM
The New North of America heh heh

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/idrive1life/NorthAmerica.png

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-29-2008, 10:33 PM
I thought Cleveland was a nice city?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-29-2008, 10:33 PM
heh heh

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/idrive1life/NorthAmerica.png

Just like Quebec to be the bitch....

chiapet
02-29-2008, 10:47 PM
I thought Cleveland was a nice city?

Who said it wasn't?

rage patton
02-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Fuckin Quebec.

I appologize for Quebec on behalf on Canada.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Fuckin Quebec.

I appologize for Quebec on behalf on Canada.

This is from the Economist..

Some economists say this balkanisation of the economy is a big reason for Canada's sluggish productivity growth. There are perhaps 500 separate trade impediments, ranging from regulatory fine print to outright protectionism, such as Quebec's ban on margarine coloured to look like butter. These barriers cost the equivalent of 1% of GDP, according to the Fraser Institute, a pro-business think-tank.

Wheres the beef?
03-01-2008, 12:11 AM
So 2.5 members are American out of the 8 or 9 members in the band. But they formed in Montreal. Wrote in Montreal. Started playing gig in Montreal. Were part of the Montreal indie scene. And are one of Canada's biggest musical exports.

Being Canada's biggest musical export doesn't really say much to either Canada or it's music. Just saying cause I know you are in 'Couver.

rage patton
03-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Being Canada's biggest musical export doesn't really say much to either Canada or it's music. Just saying cause I know you are in 'Couver.

I was just saying they are a big deal. And its your country who are trying to steal them and take thier credit... not mine!

This is from the Economist..

Some economists say this balkanisation of the economy is a big reason for Canada's sluggish productivity growth. There are perhaps 500 separate trade impediments, ranging from regulatory fine print to outright protectionism, such as Quebec's ban on margarine coloured to look like butter. These barriers cost the equivalent of 1% of GDP, according to the Fraser Institute, a pro-business think-tank.

I KNEW Quebec were no good. And yeah, I did know that about the margerine. Rediculous eh?

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 12:52 AM
The Quebecois are fucking nuts. There's nothing sillier than people fiercely proud of things they had no choice in (this applies to you too, all people claiming to be proud of their ethnicities, gender, sexuality, homeland, etc., especially if you're white, male, straight, and American).

hypervera
03-01-2008, 03:33 AM
when someone says they are "american" no one thinks of a canadian or a mexican. america = united states. you = dumb.

Uhm, in the United States, when someone says "American", US is assumed. That is not necessarily true outside of the US.

Actually, in all the other countries of the american continent when someone says 'american' no one thinks of the US, but of the whole continent.

if you go to europe a person from Brazil is an american too. just a little example.

America=continent, America is not U.S.A., U.S.A.=your country, juststeve=ignorant retarded

humanoid
03-01-2008, 03:38 AM
people that need to be told by a rock band why they should vote, or who they should vote for shouldn't be helping to decide anything of importance

C DUB YA
03-01-2008, 06:09 AM
true - but its real nice to get a free show, or two, out of it.

roberto73
03-01-2008, 06:14 AM
I would like to rearrange the order of two of the above quotes for maximum comedic value (or at least what passes for maximum comedic value at 6 A.M.).

This is from the Economist:

Fuckin' Quebec. I apologize for Quebec on behalf on Canada.

JSam67
03-01-2008, 07:42 AM
The last time I saw a globe, America wasn't a continent. North America and South America are continents. If people refer to everybody on these TWO continents as Americans, great, but that seems to be pretty retarded to me. And yes, there are American ties to Arcade Fire, but they are obviously a Canadian band.

ArcadeParade
03-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Maybe there is hope they will do some CDN dates before they shut down...

ThomThom
03-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Win Butler was born in Texas and raised in New Hampshire so that means Americans are superior to Canadians.

breakjaw
03-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Cuz they come into your town and help you party down.

ThomThom
03-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Rage,

During NAFTA talks Prime Minister Mulroney agreed to sell The Arcade Fire's souls to Bruce Springstein... That makes them from Jersey, therefore they are AMERICAN.

JustSteve
03-01-2008, 06:59 PM
if you go to europe a person from Brazil is an american too. just a little example.

America=continent, America is not U.S.A., U.S.A.=your country, juststeve=ignorant retarded

are you serious?? everywhere i've been in the world i have been referred to as an american based on the fact that i am from the united states. no one else from other parts of north or south america that i met EVER referred to themselves as american. when someone makes a speech and refers to the "american people" it is regarding the united states. when arabs shout "death to america" are they talking about mexico...or brazil...or canada???

rage patton
03-01-2008, 07:05 PM
I would like to rearrange the order of two of the above quotes for maximum comedic value (or at least what passes for maximum comedic value at 6 A.M.).

This is from the Economist:

Fuckin' Quebec. I apologize for Quebec on behalf on Canada.

Woo! I'm an economist!

Rage,

During NAFTA talks Prime Minister Mulroney agreed to sell The Arcade Fire's souls to Bruce Springstein... That makes them from Jersey, therefore they are AMERICAN.

Well Mulroney fucked up Canada enough. Why not a little more, right?

are you serious?? everywhere i've been in the world i have been referred to as an american based on the fact that i am from the united states. no one else from other parts of north or south america that i met EVER referred to themselves as american. when someone makes a speech and refers to the "american people" it is regarding the united states. when arabs shout "death to america" are they talking about mexico...or brazil...or canada???

Very good points. I sure as hell don't consider myself American.

humanoid
03-01-2008, 07:07 PM

I believe when they shout "death to America" they are usually referring to Panamanians or Chileans specifically

ThomThom
03-01-2008, 07:11 PM

Just ignore it Steve, your replying to the equivalent of Leonard Lowe in Awakenings

JustSteve
03-01-2008, 07:13 PM
really? shit...noted.

orbit
03-01-2008, 09:01 PM
I can't speak for arabians since I haven't been there, but in south america, central america and Mexico the term 'american' does not necessarily refer a US citizen. Perhaps they called you american because the term 'unitedstatesian' is not that common in the english language. In their native language they call America to the whole continent, not to the United States.

chiapet
03-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Perhaps they called you american because the term 'unitedstatesian' is not that common in the english language.

Yea, I can't even think of a word for it in languages other than Spanish.... "Estadunidense" - dense, d-e-n-s-e. It's the same spelling!" I love that movie.

hypervera
03-02-2008, 02:14 AM

"death to america" yeah they are talking about the U.S. but they are not all the world, and again people from Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, etc they are americans too, why?? because those countries are part of a continent called America. simple logic :thu
read the next paragraph is interesting

I can't speak for arabians since I haven't been there, but in south america, central america and Mexico the term 'american' does not necessarily refer a US citizen. Perhaps they called you american because the term 'unitedstatesian' is not that common in the english language. In their native language they call America to the whole continent, not to the United States.

JSam67
03-02-2008, 06:51 AM
So I guess I didn't get the memo that the world only has 6 continents now. Although I'm reading on Wiki that someone held a press conference a while back on a Brazilian radio station declaring them "Americans" and that "North and South America are now consolidated as one continent." And then they announced the Coachella lineup.

C DUB YA
03-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Wonder how the Nelsonville show will go?

captncrzy
03-02-2008, 07:11 AM
I'm thinking the same thing too. I'm heading over to UKK.

captncrzy
03-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Nope; nothing on UKK yet. Cdub, if you're going tomorrow, word over there is that you need to be in line about 9 hours in advance.

C DUB YA
03-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Yeah I am leaving in the afternoon. Spending the early parts with friends in Cleveland, then after lunch, heading over.

C DUB YA
03-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Nelsonville show last night.

A Change Is Gonna Come

DHY_kIZd3Ig

Power Out

70VXEP_F3uM

captncrzy
03-03-2008, 07:30 AM
cool little venue; too bad the sound went out on that vid. looks fun-have fun tonight!

C DUB YA
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Wow - a good thousand or so (inlcuding me) shut out of the Cleveland show - you pretty much had to be waiting all day today, the line was a mile long when I got there at 3pm. Oh well, its good to see people coming out for these.

Anyway here is the setlist from last night.

First show:

"Intervention"
"Keep the Car Running"
"Heroes" [David Bowie cover]
"A Change Is Gonna Come" [Sam Cooke cover]
"Rebellion (Lies)"
"Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)"
"Wake Up"
"Gimme Some Truth" [John Lennon cover]

Second show:

"Heroes" [David Bowie cover]
"(Antichrist Television Blues)"
"Black Mirror"
"Neighborhood #2 (La´ka)"
"Gimme Some Truth" [John Lennon cover]
"Wake Up"
"Rebellion (Lies)"
"A Change Is Gonna Come" [Sam Cooke cover]

C DUB YA
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Cleveland

xLTWujAWWDo

MissingPerson
03-10-2008, 06:31 PM
"Heroes"?... god damn.

Courtney
02-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I am bumping this thread because I will be in Cleveland on February 23 through 26. Patrick and other Ohio folk, how do I figure out if there will be any good shows in town? I looked at Pollstar but nothing seemed promising.

shoegazer76
02-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Beachland Ballroom shows probably won't be listed on Pollstar. You definately want to check out what the Grog Shop has going on. Im flying back in April to see Swervewdriver there (cant wait!).House of Blues might have something. I think the Odeon is now defunct as for Peabody's I'm not sure what they have going on anymore. I haven't lived back in Ohio for 4 years.

Courtney
02-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Beachland Ballroom shows probably won't be listed on Pollstar. You definately want to check out what the Grog Shop has going on. Im flying back in April to see Swervewdriver there (cant wait!).House of Blues might have something. I think the Odeon is now defunct as for Peabody's I'm not sure what they have going on anymore. I haven't lived back in Ohio for 4 years.

Oh man, Charles Bradley at Beachland Ballroom. Sold & sold.

SoulDischarge
02-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Yeah. Cleveland's music scene has been in remission for quite awhile. Bands figured out they can make more money traveling between NYC and Chicago via Toronto instead of the Midwest. shoegazer covered most of the quality clubs. The Beachland and Grog Shop are the two main indie joints, and they're both really nice, fun places, but there's just not a ton of talent coming through town. Peabody's has turned into nothing but metal and nu-metal and the kind of rap that metal kids like.

http://www.beachlandballroom.com/
http://www.grogshop.gs/

Now That's Class is a grungier place that hosts punk, psych, noise, and other grimey shows. Lots of free/cheap shows and probably a good place to get some genuine Cleveland flavor.

http://www.nowthatsclass.net/

Gribbz
02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
I thought Vinzko Petreskov started this thread at first.

shoegazer76
02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Get a ticket in advance cause shows sell out there often (especially Frank Black shows). There are two rooms at the Beachland. One is the bar and the other the concert hall both of which are very small intimate up close and personal settings. The hall probably holds 300 tops. Fond memories of the Beachland. The only time I ever witnessed Yo La Tengo play "From a Motel 6" was there.

SoulDischarge
02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Oh damn. I'm going to have to hit that Cut Hands show. I really need to pay better attention to what's going on.

Courtney
02-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Get a ticket in advance cause shows sell out there often (especially Frank Black shows). There are two rooms at the Beachland. One is the bar and the other the concert hall both of which are very small intimate up close and personal settings. The hall probably holds 300 tops. Fond memories of the Beachland. The only time I ever witnessed Yo La Tengo play "From a Motel 6" was there.

!!

SO EXCITED NOW.

Courtney
02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Ok, another question: they are booking my flight to arrive on Thursday morning around 10am, and I have all of Thursday to fuck around or whatever, and then the official recruiting weekend portion where I am shuttled around by a car service starts on Friday morning. They will also have a car service pick me up from the airport and drive me to the hotel. Do I need to rent a car for the remainder of Thursday, or will I be ok with taxis and public transit? I'm staying at the Intercontinental Suites in Cleveland and will probably want to visit the art museum as well as that show at Beachland Ballroom.

SoulDischarge
02-07-2012, 06:05 PM
I actually have no idea what public transportation in Cleveland is like. I've always had a car when I've been up there.

shoegazer76
02-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Last time I took a cab from the airport to the Grog Shop 2 years ago it was like $30. I would rent a car. The Beachland Ballroom is in a kinda shady neighborhood. I wouldn't wanna be waiting around in the cold forever. The Grog Shop is located in Coventry which is a cool little strip of shops restaurants. Check out Big Fun vintage toys if you go there.

SoulDischarge
02-07-2012, 06:11 PM
It's also near the Cedar Lee, pretty much the only arthouse movie theater in NE Ohio.

ods..
02-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Oh damn. I'm going to have to hit that Cut Hands show. I really need to pay better attention to what's going on.

Yeah haha I was going to say something. That looks like a really dope spot. Free arcade games, good beer selection. Cheap shows

Courtney
02-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Ok, booked the ticket. And I'll set up a rental car. Thanks all!

Fourthisto
02-08-2012, 09:53 AM
A word from the experienced - be careful where you park around the Beachland Ballroom. The last time I was there I got a parking ticket across the street even though the 'no parking' signage was horribly lit and I couldn't make out a thing. I would have contested it, except paying $50 in court fees to fight a $35 parking ticket doesn't really make sense.

Other than that, pretty good venue. Decent bar selection, even for the non-alcoholics visiting. They have (or had, I should say) Orange Crush in glass bottles there - mmm-mmm delicious!