PDA

View Full Version : El Rey on Fire!!!!

nahuatldream
02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
The one in Albuquerque. Sad. The Golden West Saloon (which is adjacent to the El Rey) was a total loss. It sounds like the El Rey escaped with smoke and water damage. I was going to go see the Section Quartet at the Golden West tomorrow night! I think they're trying to work out a new location so that the show can go on.

The Roof was on fire! (http://kob.com/article/stories/S361617.shtml?cat=500)

Sonicifyouwantit
02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
thought you meant the one in Los Angeles. Raveonettes March 4th!

noisemachine
02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
I only knew about the one in LA. Its a shame though.

nahuatldream
02-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I don't know. It's called the El Rey Theatre as well. It's been a place for music since 1981, so the one in LA is definitely older. The El Rey here has had some nice acts come through it

http://www.elreytheater.com/history.php

paulb
02-28-2008, 12:49 PM
fuckin Pedro, lol.

tessalasset
02-28-2008, 03:14 PM
There's an El Rey Theatre in Chico, CA too I found out. Thank god our El Rey didn't burn down.

suprefan
02-28-2008, 04:41 PM
The roof caved in at the El Rey in L.A. in 2002 though, right before I was going to go to a show there. Somebody was filming a music video and it happend.

tessalasset
02-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Faith Hill

i_like_cake530
02-28-2008, 06:56 PM
There's an El Rey Theatre in Chico, CA too I found out. Thank god our El Rey didn't burn down.

wow i can't believe someone mentioned that...i live there, and would have mentioned it, but i kinda thought it was irrelevant since we don't really get any good acts there...and if we do, its once in a blue moon. the last one i can think of must have been jorma kaukonen.

luveebunni08
02-29-2008, 09:51 AM
yeah, the Golden West was a pretty magical place for a lot of people here in albuquerque. i saw a bulletin from the shins last night expressing their feeling of loss seeing as how that's where they blossomed.

tis sad. i wish i would have gone more but i'm lazy.

fikus222
02-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Here is that bulletin from the Shins:

"This morning in our hometown of Albuquerque there was a fire that destroyed one of the best music venues ever, The Golden West saloon.

The memories that we in The Shins have of this place cant be contained in one message. Every band that we've been in since the early nineties played there. Both Flake Music and Scared of Chaka were regulars. Along with Albuquerque legends The Drags, Big Damn Crazy Weight, Elephant...pretty much every music act that came out of the city back then played their hearts out to a very supportive scene of friends and musicians there almost every night.

And everyone from Rocket from the Crypt to Pavement played there as well.

I could go on but suffice to say it was an integral part of our musical upbringing and we spent many nights there. It was like a clubhouse.

It will be missed."

nationocean
02-29-2008, 10:20 AM
trying to scare people in LA are ya? punk..