PDA

View Full Version : The One that started it all..

gmoneyak
02-26-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm feeling nostalgic tonight.

Obviously the majority of us share an infatuation of music on some level. Was there one song or album that started it all?

I remember it all pretty vividly. I was about 6 years old, growing up in Puerto Rico. My little brother and I shared a room with a Fischer Price record player that was used so rarely, I don't even remember what Christmas I got the thing.

One night, we were hanging out battling G.I. Joe's when my pops entered the room with a record in hand. He dropped the needle on it, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" started playing. A pretty weird song to start things off, in hindsight, but I was hooked. I started diggin through Dad's vinyl, which at the time got me started on artists like Santana, War, Rare Earth, Canned Heat, and James Brown.

And that was it, a fucking junkie ever since..

ruetheday
02-26-2008, 11:07 PM
London Calling 12 years old.

theburiedlife
02-26-2008, 11:09 PM
1979, I was 8(9?) years old.

gmoneyak
02-26-2008, 11:18 PM
London Calling 12 years old.

The Clash at a young age would've been sweet, starting off on old school funk/r&b records led to hiphop for me.

BROKENDOLL
02-26-2008, 11:18 PM
The Elvis Presley concert my Mom dragged me to when I was about 9 or 10 years old...

msklvr
02-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Moonlight Serenade on my Grandfather's record player.

bballarl
02-26-2008, 11:30 PM
The Strokes, Is This It, 8th grade, 2001.

Mr.Nipples
02-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Greatest Hits by Queen when I was probably 7 or 8...

evilmushroompie
02-26-2008, 11:45 PM
The Strokes, Room On Fire, 8th grade, 2003 haha

justinwilson1987
02-26-2008, 11:54 PM
watching the chili peppers video for Under the Bridge when i was little. Back when MTV actually played music videos...I was in awe the first time I saw that...I couldnt have been older than 6 or 7...

and i'll never forget hearing that cash register opening to "money" from pink floyd in my grandma's car when I was around that age too...

BlackSwan
02-26-2008, 11:55 PM
REM, orange crush, 7 years old.

ruetheday
02-26-2008, 11:58 PM
1979, I was 8(9?) years old.

I wasn't even born yet.

samiksha
02-27-2008, 12:07 AM
The Strokes, Is This It, 8th grade, 2001.

me too. although i think i was in 9th grade. did that album come out later in the year? and then White Blood Cells to really seal the deal. i think White Blood Cells came out first, but I discovered it 2nd.

R3d Snapper
02-27-2008, 12:58 AM
squarepusher in 99

PassiveTheory
02-27-2008, 01:09 AM
Music in general?...

I used to listen to the old Classic 94.9 in San Diego all the time in my dad's car... I can faintly remember stuff like the Yardbirds' "Bright Eyes Girl" and stuff like that. Modern music in general? Well, in 7th grade, I started watching MTV more and stumbled on Linkin Park; Hybrid Theory was the first CD I ever had. As for getting into the music I listen to today? One of my former best friends burned me a mix CD with tunes by DCfC, the Faint, the Pixies, and Bright Eyes. This was also around the time I discovered Interpol and Muse, so about 4 years ago.

jazzz
02-27-2008, 02:05 AM
apart from my old man w/ Beatles/The who/Kinks/Stones I was amazed when I was about 10-11years old when I heard "Pocket Calculator" and "Ghost Town" from that point on it has been music non-stop.... I don't care how old I become I will always support my habit of love music....

Cpt. Funkaho
02-27-2008, 03:26 AM
Classical music: A recording of Tchaikovsky's "Serenade For Strings" at age five, on a story-tape about Tchaikovsky's life.

Popular music: At age 7, a 45 RPM record of "Eleanor Rigby" that my mother bought for a dollar at a Beatles concert when she lived in Britain in the '60s. I played it over and over on a Fisher-Price plastic record player.

The Final Nails In The Coffin: The first CD I ever owned, Out Of Time by REM, and the first one I bought, Document (also by REM, of course).

EDIT: Really, though, the CD that really took me off the path of fairly narrow musical taste was Experience by The Prodigy. No album has ever blown my mind as completely as the first time I heard "Jericho".

bmack86
02-27-2008, 03:54 AM
R.E.M.-Texarkana while driving towards Hole-in-the-Wall in the Mojave desert. I was probably 5 or 6 at the time.

sbessiso
02-27-2008, 03:57 AM
squirrel nut zippers-Hot (first album i remember truly loving, knowing every song)
beastie boys- hello nasty (first album i ever bought on my own, not sure how old i was)

plus i grew up with my mom playing tons of crosby, stills, nash and young records, as well as BB King, stuff like that

Memorial_07
02-27-2008, 06:21 AM
I bought Battles of Los Angeles by Rage Against The Machine at 6 years old.
For two years straight (no joke) I listened to that album and every other RATM album nonstop. Everyday I would play it.

gratytrainridesagain
02-27-2008, 06:33 AM
I think I was in first grade and I was at a friends and his older brother was listening to some music while we were outside. He was playing mostly classic rock I wasn't really paying attention then "Iron Man" came on and I was just hooked from then on.

gaypalmsprings
02-27-2008, 06:44 AM
Two for me:

Doors - Soft Parade
Canned Heat - Goin' Up the Country

bartelby
02-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Greatest Hits by Queen when I was probably 7 or 8...

me too....I was in grade 8 at the time

Wayne's World started it all

Tylerdurden31
02-27-2008, 06:55 AM
well...STP - Core was my first CD worth mentioning. Beyond that my brother got me into Jawbox and Fugazi when I was 14 (that would be 1995).

sbessiso
02-27-2008, 06:57 AM
I listened to music as a child but the light didn't come on until a friends older sister gave me a copy of The Cure's Head on the Door. I was hooked and wanted more music so she dubbed me a copy of NIN's Pretty Hate Machine and the Pixies' Surfer Rosa. The rest is history.

In turn, I am currently exposing my 13 year old brother-in-law to music that I'm sure would horrify his parents (they will only buy him country).

the head in the door is currently my favorite cure album

mob roulette
02-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Op-mjhGoPvY

Trick Loves The Kids
02-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Two things.

One was seeing this video at like 12 and having it blow my mind:

BC73fFKl3-M

The other was hearing The Faint's Danse Macabre at like 14 and also having it blow my mind.

MassiveChemicalPunk
02-27-2008, 07:10 AM
I always liked music, but Radiohead - The Bends started my passion.

JSam67
02-27-2008, 07:10 AM
I remember a lot of classic rock with the parents when I was pretty young, namely The Beatles. Mainstream-wise, I remember my first 3 CD's I bought myself, I'm thinking this was around 5th/6th grade. In this order:

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness

sbessiso
02-27-2008, 07:12 AM
also, white blood cells in 9th grade introduced me to my now all time favorite band

SFChrissy
02-27-2008, 07:15 AM
I had a diverse exposure...

It started with my 6th birthday...I wanted a fischer price plastic record player like the one he describes in the first post and what I got was a syc stereo, with turntable, am/fm and yes I must say the heavenly 8 trak!!!

One aunt influenced me with her 8 tracks of funk and oldies.
Another aunt influenced me with disco
My mom influenced me with the classic Edie Gorme singing beuatiful love songs in spanish...this is a generational thing cuz her mom listened to the same music when she was growing up!!!
and my dad influenced me with with his progressive jaz...he influenced me the most musicly and where I get my appreciation for the live gig!!!

mob roulette
02-27-2008, 07:16 AM
That Talib joint still owns all, Trick.

Also, this one got to me too when I was a kid. God bless hip uncles:

p2m9uaTwQcU

JSam67
02-27-2008, 07:17 AM
mob, you brought me back with that TJ & the Shondells. Excellent nostalgia.

Cancersticks1
02-27-2008, 07:35 AM
I always loved music, when I was a toddler I always carried around beige a Fisher-Price cassette player with most often a song called "Carrot Stew" playing (I still know all the words.) Growing up I mostly listened to the same stuff my dad did, Queen, Aerosmith, Elton John, J.Geils, and the like. The first album (cassette) I ever bought myself was Poison "Flesh & Blood." Then in middle school when it seemed to me that Aerosmith and Jackyl were the height of musical creativity I recieved a Columbia House record club dealie. Quickly picked out all the classic rock albums I recognized for my 12 free cd's, but had one left over. I chose Frank Zappa "Strictly Commercial" based soley on his name being mentioned in "Smoke On The Water." It took about a year for me to give it any real listening time, but I proceeded then to sell back almost every cd I had to buy the rest of his catalog. Zappa was really the impetus for my serious love of music, and proved an effective gateway into jazz & classical as well.

GoEastYoungMan
02-27-2008, 07:47 AM
I was six in 1986, and this video blew my mind.

hqyc37aOqT0

luckyface
02-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Pearl Jam - Vs. was the first album that really got me into music in general. I had albums from other artists, but this is the one CD that showed me music was going to be an important aspect of my life.

whynotsmile99
02-27-2008, 08:39 AM
first album I bought was Nimrod by Green Day, still my favorite Green Day album by far.

But the first true work of art I bought that I just loved was my second album, Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Been digging down the rabbit hole ever since.

I credit Carl Cox at my first Coachella, 2006 with getting me into Dj/electronic music. Didn't listen to it all, knew almost nothing about it, stumbled into the Saharah tent. Such good memories. I had never seen a party quite like that

whynotsmile99
02-27-2008, 08:40 AM
actually I lie. I was listening to Daft Punk before my First Coachella, who my friends thought were lame. Then I dragged em to the show and that was the end of that

theburiedlife
02-27-2008, 08:47 AM
I wasn't even born yet.

I know you're kidding but,

The smashing pumpkins title...

MarkO
02-27-2008, 08:58 AM
First recollection of music on tv/radio : Madness I think or Shakin' Stevens (lol)
First album : Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits. Still have it somewhere on cassette.
First concert : INXS, December 17, 1990. *Mindblowing*

bballarl
02-27-2008, 09:17 AM
me too. although i think i was in 9th grade. did that album come out later in the year? and then White Blood Cells to really seal the deal. i think White Blood Cells came out first, but I discovered it 2nd.

That's exactly what happened with me. All the "The" bands contributed, but The Strokes especially. I remember buying Highly Evolved the day it came out at Target with my mom. I think Is This It came out in October of 2001, because it was supposed to have "New York City Cops" on it (in the place of "When It Started") and they switched them post 9/11.

rage patton
02-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Backstreet Boys - Backstreets Back

I am not even joking. This is the song that got me interested in music. Not the Clash, not The White Stripes, not Pink Floyd and not the Strokes. he Backstreet Boys in grade 4. Then, up until about grade 7 I listed to pop and top 40 music. Then when I was in grade 7, and new radiostation came around, and I was intruiged. It was a modern rock alternative station. My parents didn't let me listen to it... so naturally, I became curious.
Just before this as well my cousins introduced me to a band called "Rage Against The Machine" and burnt me a copy Battle In Los Angeles. I was almost scared of the intensity in that album, because at the time I was 11 and I had never heard anything like that before. To top it off, my grade 6 teacher told us Rage Against The Machine were an evil band and we should never listen to them because they are against God and against democracy. He then showed us a picture of them burning the American flag upside down with 666 written across it.
Soon after I started listening to the rock, I stopped listening to pop. I forget exactly what bands I first got into, but 3 songs hooked me right away. Crystal Method's "Name of The Game" and Papa Roach's "Last Resort" Papa Roach ended up being my first concert by the way. But most of all, Gorillaz "Clint Eastwood." That song grabbed me like the plauge. The Gorillaz self titled turned out to be the very first album I ever bought with my own money.
So, if I had to credit what got me into music, I would have to give it to three artists...
Backstreet Boys - Backstreets Back
Rage Against The Machine - Battles of Los Angeles (album)
Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood

bballarl
02-27-2008, 09:28 AM
For the record, Is This It came out September 25, 2001. I just bought it in October I guess.

samiksha
02-27-2008, 09:28 AM
That's exactly what happened with me. All the "The" bands contributed, but The Strokes especially. I remember buying Highly Evolved the day it came out at Target with my mom.

yes, that too. i really can't stand that album now though. and i remember getting Veni Vidi Vicious and making my dad play it in the car and being like "man, i can't wait til i'm 16 and can drive around and blast this on my own stereo!"

full on idle
02-27-2008, 09:42 AM
It's too hard to name one. It was my Dad's record collection though. Here is a sampling:

eZGWQauQOAQ

DkP5roFukKY

hpkitLUbeEg

Wlaruattvgs

MOOs-MqDOI0

1__KQZvoBpc

jonnypark
02-27-2008, 09:46 AM
The first tape I had was the Ghostbusters soundtrack when I was 5, then I got into Queen and Aerosmith at about 7 or 8. The first cd I owned was the Soundtrack to Dangerous Minds. I got it for christmas in grade 7, and pretty much only listened to gangstas paradise. The cd that really got me hooked on music was Nirvana Unplugged in New York.

canexplain
02-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Like others, besides mom and dads country music, I would think it was blind lemon Jefferson ..x****

BeHereNOW
02-27-2008, 10:20 AM
beatles - love me do
circa 1986, i was 5

i must have heard it 100 times in one day...
= p

Sonicifyouwantit
02-27-2008, 10:21 AM
I was always attracted to music, but the album that made me feel I had to search it out and immerse myself in it...I remember putting the tape in the player putting my headphones on and hearing, "We're Only Gonna Die" by Bad Religion off the album 80-85. Nothing musically challenging in it just raw late 1979/early 1980 punk song that grabbed me...unfortunately the band just sank into a sorry state and I cant even look at the groups name with out a little laugh or cry at the state they are in now. I'll always have 80-85 though! From that moment on my music journey began and took me down a lot of musical roads both forward looking and backwards at older releases of most every genre from every decade.

gmoneyak
02-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Two things.

One was seeing this video at like 12 and having it blow my mind:

BC73fFKl3-M

Refliection Eternal is still my favorite Talib Kweli album.. What really truned me away from a lot of mainstream gangsta rap, (old school N.W.A, Ice Cube, Bone), was Common Sense "Can I Borrow A Dollar". Also Del's 1st album "I Wish My Brother George Was Here". After that I got hooked on the Beatnuts and Nas.

I credit Carl Cox at my first Coachella, 2006 with getting me into Dj/electronic music. Didn't listen to it all, knew almost nothing about it, stumbled into the Saharah tent. Such good memories. I had never seen a party quite like that

For me, Fatboy Slim's "Better Living through Chemistry". Totally changed my perception, I started backtracking to catch up. Then came The Prodigy,Chemical Brothers, Orbital etc.

Grease OST, age fourish (to age twentyish?)

I have two older sisters, I can still hear those songs in my sleep..

MaxPowers
02-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Reflection Eternal is a great album,
For me it was 2 albums & a song...

Tribe called quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
Moby- Everything is wrong
RHCP - Under the bridge

microserfs21
02-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Bryan Adams when I was 7 or 8, I used to sing my butt off to his stuff.

wmgaretjax
02-27-2008, 01:48 PM
pop - Beatles' "Abbey Road"
classical - Bach's "St. John's Passion"
contemporary experimental/classical/avant garde - Penderecki's "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima"

orbit
02-27-2008, 03:20 PM
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

roberto73
02-27-2008, 03:33 PM
For some reason, when I was eight or nine, my parents bought me a cassette of Hall & Oates' greatest hits – Rock and Soul Pt. 1. I wore that tape out, listening to it every night. I was too young to know that it sucked.

In the early- to mid-80's, I was a child of MTV, back when MTV still played music. "Uptown Girl" led me to Billy Joel, "Who Can it Be Now?" led me to Men at Work, "Girls on Film" led me to Duran Duran. I wasn't very discerning.

The first band I was ever fanatic about was U2. The Joshua Tree came out when I was in 8th grade, and it was unlike anything else on the radio. I still love them, and couldn't care less how bloated and egotistical they get.

So U2 set the stage for 10th and 11th grade (1988-89), when the following albums, among others, were released:

R.E.M. – Green
The Cure – Disintegration
The Replacements – Don't Tell a Soul
Elvis Costello – Spike
Red Hot Chili Peppers – Mother's Milk
Pixies – Doolittle
The Pogues – Peace and Love
Morrissey – Viva Hate
Pere Ubu – Cloudland
The Wedding Present – Bizarro
New Order – Technique
The Stone Roses – S/T

And those are just a few that set me on the path I'm still on, almost twenty years later. Anyone who tries to claim the 80's were a lousy decade for music should be summarily executed.

bballarl
02-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Any decade featuring Husker Du, The Replacements, REM, The Stone Roses and such is fine by me.

NiceArthur32
02-27-2008, 03:41 PM
as a child these songs brought tears to my eyes...

not sure why, but ever since then i realized that i could easy feel what the artists wanted me to feel... (i love youtube)

TS9_ipu9GKw

5ud6aI5ZFuQ

menikmati
02-27-2008, 03:41 PM
1991, Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" cassette single (still have it). I was 7.

PassiveTheory
02-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh yeah, my first concert was Puddle of Mudd, 2003. Jah...

ThomThom
02-27-2008, 03:55 PM
The year was 1994 and I was blessed with the following...

Gangstarr - Hard to Earn

Nas - Illmatic

Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

Outkast - Southerplayalisticadillacmuzik

NiceArthur32
02-27-2008, 03:56 PM
^^^nice

Blinken
02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
I started on Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood, I was living in Colorado til i was 7. Even when i moved out to California i still loved Garth brooks, songs like rodeo, friends in low places, thunder rolls, and much more. By the time middle school came around i could care less about music. I had a few cassetes the Mortal Kombat soundtrack, Kriss Kross, and the dangerous minds soundtrack (for Gangstars Paradise) When i was in highschool i got introduced to KROQ and started listening to Korn, Rage Against the Machine, Papa Roach, Eminem, Outkast and RHCP. Eminem and Outkast got me into alot of hip hop. I know my musical tastes differ from alot of on here. I still like the first Linkin Park album. Wow this really belongs in confessions. College is where i got away from all of that for the most part though.

fikus222
02-27-2008, 04:41 PM
The first CD that I ever purchased was Nirvana's Nevermind. When I was even younger still I used to listen to 50s rock n roll...now there is a logical progression.

canexplain
02-27-2008, 05:24 PM
I started on Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood, I was living in Colorado til i was 7. Even when i moved out to California i still loved Garth brooks, songs like rodeo, friends in low places, thunder rolls, and much more. By the time middle school came around i could care less about music. I had a few cassetes the Mortal Kombat soundtrack, Kriss Kross, and the dangerous minds soundtrack (for Gangstars Paradise) When i was in highschool i got introduced to KROQ and started listening to Korn, Rage Against the Machine, Papa Roach, Eminem, Outkast and RHCP. Eminem and Outkast got me into alot of hip hop. I know my musical tastes differ from alot of on here. I still like the first Linkin Park album. Wow this really belongs in confessions. College is where i got away from all of that for the most part though.

ya, you are right that some would dog you here for LP .... i saw them a bunch and always had a good time ... i bought their last cd ... music, its all good .... x****

M Sparks
02-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Hmmmm...the first for-reals-grown-up album I ever owned was Men At Work's first album...that was huge in 5th grade. It was also the first cassette I ever owned. I probably had some other things on vinyl that people had given me...I seem to recall an ABBA album in there somewhere. But you had to listen to that on the turntable in the family room. With a cassette, I could listen to it on a Walkman.

Probably listened to a lot more shit throughout 5th and 6th grade. My best friend in Jr High was into a lot of Prog Rock and Metal. I didn't really dig the metal...maybe a little Iron Maiden. But Rush was probably the first band I really loved. I think "Power Windows" was the first album I ever ran out and got the week it came out.

So it was mainly Prog through 10th grade, which I still like, along with a lot of garbage pop-rock of the time- Night Ranger and such. I did have a friend give me a bizarre mix tape around that time...everything from childrens music (The Letter People!) to Einsturzende Neubauten. It was a little over my head at the time, although it did have Art Of Noise's "Close (To The Edit)" on it, which I dug.

Then around 10th grade came stage 2... my friend's brother went to college and started sending him tapes. He got me into REM, The Replacements, stuff like that. Another friend had just moved from Atlanta and loaned me some Cure albums, along with lesser stuff. (The Screaming Blue Messiahs, anyone?). I ditched the pop-rock and started trying to explore. "The Joshua Tree" was probably the big album of that period.

Finally, stage 3 started in college. In one week, I saw the video for NIN's "Down In It"...a friend's roommate played me Ministry's "Land Of Rape & Honey" and Nitzer Ebb's "Belief", and I bought PWEI's "This Is The Day..." just because I liked the cover and the song titles. I was heavy into the industrial scene all through college. I still like most of the stuff that got me into it, but I've got a shitload of albums that I'm probably never going to listen to again- just cuz back then I would just buy whatever Industrial Nation magazine would review. (And yet I make fun of Pitchfork now.)

gmoneyak
02-27-2008, 10:23 PM

That's pretty cool, I actually caught a Canned Heat show a couple summers ago here in Reno. Those guys still bring it.. I think they had the original bassist and drummer.

donthasselthehof
02-27-2008, 10:33 PM
the get up kids- four min mile

humanoid
02-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Some Great Reward-Depeche Mode....I think I was 7 or so......

my brother,sister & I used to hang out at our next door neighbor's house after school until mom got home from work...they were heavily into DM....

Hawkings
02-28-2008, 07:44 AM
first tapes I got were Berlin, Pleasure Victim after liking Metro and Duran Duran, Rio, maybe in 4th grade. Started to like DM when I heard People are People

gmoneyak
07-24-2008, 01:40 AM
*bump

This thread is a good read and very telling.

PassiveTheory
07-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Just a general question for everyone: What's the first record from your record collection that you would give to your kid(s)?

paulb
07-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Weezer's blue album
Radiohead - The Bends
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness
Weird Al - Bad Hair Day
Presidents Of The United States of America

BROKENDOLL
07-24-2008, 09:08 AM
*bump

This thread is a good read and very telling. No shit. I really am old enough to be everyone's mother around here!

Just a general question for everyone: What's the first record from your record collection that you would give to your kid(s)? "Dark Side of the Moon." They'ld be able to play it as often as they wanted.

sbessiso
07-24-2008, 09:09 AM
My adopted Himalayan Whistle Kid will be given the soundtrack to rocky horror picture show

Memorial_07
07-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Also, Brenton Wood, Marvin Gaye and Prince because that is all my dad would play.

algunz
07-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Janis Joplin - Pearl

But the first album I bought was Michael Jackson - Thriller.

bakersfield
07-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Just a general question for everyone: What's the first record from your record collection that you would give to your kid(s)?

When my oldest son was 8 (now 13) he took my CD
The Ramones -- Hey Ho Let's Go : The Anthology....
the rest is history....
he has gone with me to Coachella the past 2 years.
As well as 20 or so other shows.....
We even made a pilgramage in 2005 to CBGB prior to it closing.

It is great to be able to share my love for music with my "yungun"!

BTW...my first concert was Oingo Boingo in '82

woogie846
07-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Oh yeah, my first concert was Puddle of Mudd, 2003. Jah...

I am so sorry.

justinaqui
07-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Smells Like Teen Spirit.

There's a crazy time spread in here. A Strokes LP 2 posts after an Elvis concert? This thread is great.

locachica73
07-24-2008, 11:12 AM
The first band I really got into was The Eagles and I played the Hotel California cassette over and over and over till my cassette player ate it.

First concert I went to was Reba McEntire... ICK

the long grift
07-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Ravel, for me, Bolero, I think...

Then Prince and Duran Duran....

After that, Black Flag, Jane's, Germs, stuff like that...

chairmenmeow47
07-24-2008, 01:03 PM
http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/647809-1/queen_s+greatest+hits.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=c3856201d2 cc08546081fd414a233921

zenidogx
07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
The Beatles 1967-70
first vinyl purchase and most important one.

then, i'd say a White Blood Cells/ Elephant mix cd that my cousin gave me turned my life around.

RotationSlimWang
07-24-2008, 01:06 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/2j3fw8x.jpg

boarderwoozel3
07-24-2008, 01:23 PM
The first album I ever bought was a tape:

Beastie Boys- Ill Communication

I was really young, 6 or 7 maybe. Anyway, its a good one to start with, even if I bought it because I liked the 'Sabotage' music video on MTV. This spurred a passion for rock and alt. music that led to punk while in high school. Now I'm pretty well settled on Coachella-esque music but I still love a good punk show.

IdiotequeThom
07-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Nirvana's Greatest Hits when I was 9 years old.

PassiveTheory
07-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I am so sorry.

I'd like to think I've made up for it, y'know?

Trick Loves The Kids
07-24-2008, 04:22 PM
For live music it was the Faint. They were the first band I was really really into and I went to see them 4/20/2003 at the Fonda. Amazing show, I had a fucking blast. I'm going to see them in SF in a week or so, mostly for nostalgia's sake.

gmoneyak
02-03-2009, 05:42 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l49/d0k/bump.gif

This board has been infested with a bunch of newblood and I have a morbid fascination into what their "first tastes" were all about.

I want to understand..

Alchemy
02-03-2009, 07:55 PM
http://www.virginmedia.com/images/oasis_morningglory_300x300.jpg

8 Years Old.

Song was "She's Electric."

whynotsmile99
02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
first album I ever bought was Green Day's Nimrod, which I still really like.

Second album I bought, and still one of my favorites. easily the one I would say "started it all"

http://thejosevilson.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/elton_john_goodbye_yellow_brick_road_disc_1-front.jpg

and I gotta give Dre a nod, listening to the same cd at least once a month since middle school

http://revolutionsms.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/dr-dre-dr-dre-2001-big.jpg

PrettyRagdoll
02-03-2009, 08:06 PM
My love for music started with a strange combination of Aerosmith, Michael Jackson, Jazz, Opera and Gospel Music.

My dad used to sing opera, so he was always rehearsing and singing around the house. My step-mom when I was like.... 4, used to play Aerosmith ALL the time. And According to my dad, Michael Jackson's recorded live concerts used to babysit me.

And through all that, my mom was a Gospel choir director with a deep seated love for Luther Vandross.

I guess you could say I just growing up surrounded by such different styles of music shaped me.

blackchango
02-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Wow too many to name! I would have to say sgt. peppers,cars by gary numan,candy o by the cars,pop muzik by m,peg by steely dan,silly love songs by paul mcCartney oh and this little number right here!

="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LZMhNjiARQs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LZMhNjiARQs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

greghead
02-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I grew up hearing my parents' music, as well as that of my older brother and sisters, but the definitive moment came when I was 10 years old I drove with my dad from California to AZ, during which time he introduced me to Cream. Disraeli Gears. That was it for me.

But the first cd I bought was Offspring Smash when I was 12

gmoneyak
02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
My love for music started with a strange combination of Aerosmith, Michael Jackson, Jazz, Opera and Gospel Music.

My dad used to sing opera, so he was always rehearsing and singing around the house. My step-mom when I was like.... 4, used to play Aerosmith ALL the time. And According to my dad, Michael Jackson's recorded live concerts used to babysit me.

And through all that, my mom was a Gospel choir director with a deep seated love for Luther Vandross.

I guess you could say I just growing up surrounded by such different styles of music shaped me.

That's pretty awesome to have such diversity at that young age.

My dad was the ultimate James Brown fan, and was entranced by the whole Doo-Wop sound from the 50's and 60's.

hawkingvsreeve
02-03-2009, 08:22 PM
First music owned:

Early 90s dance jams (Hammer, C&C, V-Ice), and I remember having a cassette single of that Collective Soul song "Shine." This was around 5th and 6th grade.

First record I purchased for myself:

Soundgarden - Superunknown

First concert:

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

First voluntary concert:

Alanis Morrisette (1996)

MiamiNate
02-03-2009, 08:22 PM
My first CD was 4 by Blues Traveler. My first tape was a Gloria Estefan one. My first concert was either Jimmy Buffett or Peter Parul and Mary. Dookie probably made me fall in love with music.

pdhow
02-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Nice thread....

On one hand I had a much older brother into breakdancing and hip hop so at six, he was 12, we would walk up and down the street with a ghetto blaster (that he let me hold so if my hearing ever goes, I'll blame him) bumping Eric B. and Rakim.

On the other hand, at home my Pops was really into classic rock, The Eagles, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, The Beatles, and Stones. Him and his friends would get together on Fridays, drink beer, and make their own mixes on Reel to reels. I loved it and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

My 1st tape I ever owned, bought by my older brother of course, was Scarface (of the Geto Boys) 1st album, Mr. Scarface is back. I remember my Dad being upset but understanding. All three of us sat in the living room and listened to that tape. My Dad just sat there not saying anything. I was 10 years old at the time and boy.....the things I heard that day.....Actually weren't that new because three years earlier my brother got the Too Short Life is Too Short tape. I wasn't supposed to listen to it but one night I found it laying around. I hid in my room with the lights off for a week straight listening to it. One night I got busted and the tape was thrown away. I just remember the line...where he talks about going to the white house and Reagan's wife giving him a blow job and sucking it like it was corn on the cob.

I didn't even know what that was but the way he spit that line had me hooked.

sydaud
02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
The first album that I ever wore out: According to my father, it was "Frampton Comes Alive" but I don't see how that is humanly possible. My first favorite albums that I remember listening to repeatedly are "Morrison Hotel" and "Breakfast In America".

The first tape I bought with my own money: "Seven and the Ragged Tiger" by Duran Duran
First CD bought with my own money: "Substance" (New Order)...damn thing cost me $28.99 + tax, ha ha

The first CD's I gave to my children out of my own collection were: "Tommy" (to my older daughter) and "Mania" (Ramones) to my younger daughter. My younger one could not get enough of "Beat On The Brat" so I gave it up so she would take it in her room and listen to it.

portisheadgrl88
02-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Metallica- The black album - Enter sandman

That song was my first song i heard from them and i was scared of them because of the video i was like 5..but i loved the song...ever since i heard that song i would borrow my brothers CD and listen that song Only...

karecares
02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
my mother got me started on the beatles

1984 1st cassette was madonna's self titled.. borderline/luckycharm/ holiday

what put me into the addiction music became was hearing the doors in the movie the lost boys. i'm sure i heard it before but it hadn't quite clicked yet. jim morrison was my first musical love

other day i was thinking about when i was a kid and i would cringe everytime i heard the alarms going off in floyd's time. still think its the worlds most irritating intro

gmoneyak
02-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Nice thread....

On one hand I had a much older brother into breakdancing and hip hop so at six, he was 12, we would walk up and down the street with a ghetto blaster (that he let me hold so if my hearing ever goes, I'll blame him) bumping Eric B. and Rakim.

On the other hand, at home my Pops was really into classic rock, The Eagles, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, The Beatles, and Stones. Him and his friends would get together on Fridays, drink beer, and make their own mixes on Reel to reels. I loved it and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

My 1st tape I ever owned, bought by my older brother of course, was Scarface (of the Geto Boys) 1st album, Mr. Scarface is back. I remember my Dad being upset but understanding. All three of us sat in the living room and listened to that tape. My Dad just sat there not saying anything. I was 10 years old at the time and boy.....the things I heard that day.....Actually weren't that new because three years earlier my brother got the Too Short Life is Too Short tape. I wasn't supposed to listen to it but one night I found it laying around. I hid in my room with the lights off for a week straight listening to it. One night I got busted and the tape was thrown away. I just remember the line...where he talks about going to the white house and Reagan's wife giving him a blow job and sucking it like it was corn on the cob.

I didn't even know what that was but the way he spit that line had me hooked.

That's fucking hilarious.

algunz
02-05-2009, 09:53 PM
My cherry breaker was Janis Joplin.

corbo
02-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Nirvana - Nevermind
ahhh the memories

roboticwaltz
02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
My mom raised me on Zeppelin, Rush and Grunge as a kid, but it wasn't until I bought my first CD that my music infatuation began. I was 10 years old and it was the Beatles "1" that changed my life and my perception of a good song forever.

moomoo
02-05-2009, 10:04 PM
SOAD's self titled album was the first album I owned in like 6th grade.
Moby
Korn

god.... korn.....

gmoneyak
02-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Time to contribute, Lurkers..

I'd like to know where your twisted lil' music taste came from so I can make fun of you in future conversations.

Cheers!

303dubbin
02-01-2011, 10:18 AM
layla - clapton. the acoustic version caught my ear when i was like 9-10 and i've been in love with music ever since.

the first electronic song that made me go woah what is this was weapon of choice - fatboy slim

superkindskunk
02-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Well my memories go far back to when my dad would play 60's rock n' roll on vinyl records. It was all in spanish and hell it felt good.I was about 4-5 years old. Then I got older about 11 years old and my mom became a christian and I was not allowed to listen to secular music. I would sneak tapes into my room and listen to Caifanes. They would just make me feel sooo good inside.That is why their reunion at Coachella is going to make history in My Life.Then in 2001 I started loving The Strokes because it went back to reminding me to the good rock my dad would play when I was little. Oh yeah , There is a song by the band La Union called "Lobo Hombre en Paris" that I can listen to over and over. The song is from 1982, the year I was born.

gmoneyak
02-01-2011, 12:19 PM
It 's awesome reading stories like your Caifanes one, especially knowing that it'll all be coming around full circle at Coachella this year.

DANCE MAGIC
02-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I remember when I was in like 3rd grade (would have been like 1990ish) and I had a Sony Walkman (the kind that played tapes.) I remember being totally obsessed with these two albums:

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/67/Cherry_Pie_Warrant_single.jpg&sa=X&ei=BIdITZ_-NIn2swOAj63xAQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc4KA&usg=AFQjCNHlMi17sYH4ajVVlfxVvTc6cZTZSQ

and of course...

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://991.com/newGallery/Prince-Batman-479137.jpg&sa=X&ei=HodITYqfLYqcsQOcxtDnAQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFU_D3M7CKQoG8wvEHtSUMhL2V_0Q

Devin the Dude
02-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

heyeric
02-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I can remember, when I was about 6-7 years old, Violator by Depeche Mode was always on in my house so anything off that album really and that comes from my mom. On my dad's side, I'd have to say Led Zeppelin I, II, III & IV albums, it was never just one particular song.

gmoneyak
02-03-2011, 05:36 PM
This thread never fails in making me feel old.

I remember when I was in like 3rd grade (would have been like 1990ish) and I had a Sony Walkman (the kind that played tapes.) I remember being totally obsessed with these two albums:

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/67/Cherry_Pie_Warrant_single.jpg&sa=X&ei=BIdITZ_-NIn2swOAj63xAQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc4KA&usg=AFQjCNHlMi17sYH4ajVVlfxVvTc6cZTZSQ

and of course...

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://991.com/newGallery/Prince-Batman-479137.jpg&sa=X&ei=HodITYqfLYqcsQOcxtDnAQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFU_D3M7CKQoG8wvEHtSUMhL2V_0Q

These explain a lot.

righteousdnk
02-03-2011, 05:51 PM
I remember it was around my eleventh birthday and I was in fifth grade. As cliche as it may sound compared to the music tastes of a lot of people, it was Daft Punk - One More Time for me. I saw the music video and it just put me in a trance. Spent the next few days watching MTV religiously until they showed it again and I could record it. It was the first ever song I did karaoke to (pretty weak song, but it was fifth grade). But that got it started for me. Shortly after I found Dr. Dre.

AndLeoObre
02-03-2011, 06:02 PM
The first album I ever felt I needed to buy was Funeral. I walked into the record store specifically for that one CD but walked out with Bob Dylan: The Essentials Vol 1&2 and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness also. Not a bad way to start off

blackchango
02-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Well my memories go far back to when my dad would play 60's rock n' roll on vinyl records. It was all in spanish and hell it felt good.I was about 4-5 years old. Then I got older about 11 years old and my mom became a christian and I was not allowed to listen to secular music. I would sneak tapes into my room and listen to Caifanes. They would just make me feel sooo good inside.That is why their union at Coachella is going to make history in My Life.Then in 2001 I started loving The Strokes because it went back to reminding me to the good rock my dad would play when I was little. Oh yeah , There is a song by the band La Union called "Hombre Lobo en Paris" that I can listen to over and over. The song is from 1982, the year I was born.
Great fucking jam, hadn't heard this one in years!

vsKPiDLmNNs

doubleUteeF
02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Neil Young - Harvest Moon. Probably 1992-1994, 6-7 years old. My mom is probably the biggest Neil Young fan I've ever known. Whenever we rode in the car she would have some kind of Neil on, and that was the album that really struck me. Still one of my favorite albums.

Another one was Don Henley's End of the Innocence. I don't know why, but when I was a kid I loved it. Springsteen is probably another one of the firsts I enjoyed.

My dad is a die hard Jerry Garcia and Grateful Dead fan, but I never really got into them that much until a few years ago. But I think hearing them all the time when I was younger influenced what I listen to now.

Loved Otis Redding and Clarence Carter, too.

This thread is awesome.

superkindskunk
02-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Great fucking jam, hadn't heard this one in years!

vsKPiDLmNNs

This song just hits the right spot.

Mr. Porter
02-04-2011, 12:18 PM
mtv in the mid-90's: west coast hip-hop, the east-west beef, britpop, the emergence of cool-ass alternative rock

i was just five years old and i was consuming all of this lol

BROKENDOLL
02-04-2011, 01:11 PM
This thread never fails in making me feel old.
I was too, but I know the brothas are gonna work it out, so I'm not worried!

brando4n82
02-04-2011, 01:31 PM
The first CD I bought was the soundtrack for Beavis and Butthead Do America. I got it mostly for White Zombie and Butthole surfers. Although I always had an appreciation for 90's and classic rock, I never realized the potential and power and creativity music could be until I heard Close to the Edge by Yes in 9nth grade, which was actually the first vinyl I ever bought. Picked it up at Just Play Music in Santa Barbara. Great shop.

doubleUteeF
02-04-2011, 02:13 PM
The first CD I bought was the soundtrack for Beavis and Butthead Do America. I got it mostly for White Zombie and Butthole surfers. Although I always had an appreciation for 90's and classic rock, I never realized the potential and power and creativity music could be until I heard Close to the Edge by Yes in 9nth grade, which was actually the first vinyl I ever bought. Picked it up at Just Play Music in Santa Barbara. Great shop.

Close to the Edge is an epic album.

canexplain
02-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Two for me:

Doors - Soft Parade

+2...cr****

tubescape
02-04-2011, 02:52 PM
no older brother or sister to pass on the goods for me and I think the parents were listening to Kenny Rogers and Anne Murray, but like many of you I began to develop my my ear for music around the age 8 (1982-83). first cassette I can remember buying was Billy Idol's Rebel Yell. I think I also picked up a vinyl copy of the soundtrack for Return of the Jedi too... LOL. I was lucky enough to have an edgy KROQ to listen to at the time, along with KLOS and the brief Pirate Radio. Rodney on the ROQ turned me on to so many good sounds.

canexplain
02-04-2011, 02:55 PM
7th grade I think, first media I ever bought (45rpm).... cr****

"Palisades Park," "Talahassee Lassie" and "Way Down Yonder In New Orleans

all by Freddy Cannon

SydChaplin25
02-04-2011, 03:04 PM
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/c/creedence-clearwater-revival/album-chronicle-vol-1-the-20-greatest-hits.jpg

Far as I can remember this started it for me.

Sleepingrock
02-04-2011, 03:23 PM
A mixtape my Dad got me to make for our road trip to California, I would have been 10, particular songs were Riders on the Storm and After the Goldrush, it was north California I believe that it hit me.

DANCE MAGIC
02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
These explain a lot.

Like what?

superkindskunk
02-04-2011, 06:12 PM
It 's awesome reading stories like your Caifanes one, especially knowing that it'll all be coming around full circle at Coachella this year.

I gotta admit I never thought this would ever happen. I think I speak for a lot of Caifanes fans.

LickTheLizzard
02-04-2011, 06:34 PM
I listened to music and bought cds when I was elementary school (Bush -16 stone, RATM - Evil Empire, Fugees - The Score are ones that come to mind), but Ska-punk with Craven Moorehead on 106.3 the Edge on Sunday nights changed everything...thats when music really clicked for me. (EDIT: this was in 7th grade)

ramblinon
02-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Shiny Happy People when I was about 8. End of the Innocence by Don Henley at about 10 reaffirmed it. Still love that song.

doubleUteeF
02-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Shiny Happy People when I was about 8. End of the Innocence by Don Henley at about 10 reaffirmed it. Still love that song.

Dude...dude. Epic post lol.

Pixiessp
02-04-2011, 09:22 PM
I listened to a lot of different stuff when I was younger(approx. 8 to 12 ish).
Mongo Santamaria, Cal Tjader, Gerry Mulligan, Tito Puente, thanks to my dad.

When I hit my teens is when I started to really get into buying my own stuff.
- Led Zeppelin
- Procul Harum
- Emerson, Lake and Palmer
- Deep Purple
- Black Sabbath

It was around this time that I discovered Queen and thus began my love affair with music. Almost all types except Country. ( I like the old stuff actually).

lt.roast.a.botch
02-04-2011, 10:47 PM
The Proclaimers - 500 Miles inspired me to buy my first album as a kid. Still cracks me up.

Gy4UP_dCjAk

Aerosmith - Janie's Got A Gun; Gun's n Roses - Estranged; and Pearl Jam - Jeremy really got me into rock then grunge.

First concert was Collective Soul in 94' which also cracks me up.

But 2pac would have to be the artist that really made music real and an obsession for me.

mpfuX6lG_EQ

doubleUteeF
02-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Once again, this thread is awesome. Almost all of these posts bring back memories.

gmoneyak
02-09-2011, 06:28 PM
With all this negative bullshit tainting these boards lately, I bump..

Let's keep those stories going, great contributions so far.

discobotica
02-09-2011, 06:48 PM
first tape: Green Day - Dookie (8 years old)

first CD: Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun

tbone13
02-09-2011, 06:59 PM
3rd grade, The Thong Song... Nuff said

gmoneyak
04-04-2013, 06:38 AM
*bump

What say you?

ThatGirl
04-04-2013, 06:50 AM
My dad had the Let It Be album on 8 track and would play it in the basement. I loved it.

djbionik
10-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Feeling nostalgic after talking with my mom this afternoon. Their house was a wreck from getting robbed, so she did a deep clean and found a suitcase with a bunch of my tapes in it. She read off some of the tapes and even showed the ones with drawings of the album covers, since they were copied from friends. (Gotta love facetime).

We talked about my taking to music so young, and how these tapes came to bring me to tears today- so I'll share a story. Not one pinpoint album or song, but pivotal parts that lead to one summer night that blew my mind and changed me forever.

I was born when MTV came out. My closest sister was 7 and a music fan- so my first memories are hanging out with her on Sunday mornings watching music videos and her dressing me up as music icons. I mostly remember Madonna, David Bowie, INXS, Fleetwood Mac, Cyndi Lauper, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode as having an impact on me. My mom said that as a baby, I tried to sing along to the radio songs. There's a video my dad took of me when I was 2 years old in the kitchen trying to sing True Colors by Cyndi Lauper, she said that was the song that calmed me down when I was upset. I still love her voice and how different she looked, even from Madonna and her attitude on doing your own thing. She was punk and pop and fun. Martha Quinn was my idol for years, and partly the reason I went into music journalism.

There was always music playing at my house- Utah's number one Rush fan- my bro, world/caribbean music and pop from my dad, soft rock from my mom, oldest sister was Janet Jackson's lost back up dancer, and other sister-INXS's fan club president all lived in my house. My mom said I was different- because I liked punk. She said she remembers a time that I came running out of the bathroom after she had turned the dial- and told her to put it back and she laughed because it was noise to her, but I told her I liked the guy screaming and that I was trying to scream too. hahah

My first cassette tape I bought with my own allowance money from K-Mart when I was 5: B-52's Cosmic Thing. My mom said I wanted to play it at a friend's birthday party I was invited to. It wasn't a favorite- still not THE ONE, but I bought it because I knew it would get the party going. ha!

Didn't start collecting music till we moved into a bigger house in a nice neighborhood and I discovered yard sales and vinyl when I was 8. My first time out, I got Led Zeppelin, Dionne Warwick, Black Sabbath, Grease the Musical, The Bee Gees, and Mozart. I guess you could say I was hooked then, because they were all songs that get played, they're fun at the roller rink, in the car, and easy to sing to. I remember that summer I slept in the living room because the record player was in there, and I listened to music till way late and slept with can headphones on the floor because the cord didn't reach the couch. I forgot about that detail till my mom mentioned it today. Those albums still aren't my favorite, but it was the quality of the sounds that did it. Those are the elements that STILL do it for me. Psychy, flirty guitar, deeeeeep penetrating, droning bass, fun lyrics sung genuinely, and intelligent composition/arrangements.

That explains why I got made fun of at school for liking Queen over Weird Al, The Clash over Backstreet Boys, Luscious Jackson over the Spice Girls. I was popular with the other girls, as long as I didn't open my mouth about my differing tastes.

This was maddening to me as far as sticking to a radio station, since I liked bits of most things- but tired easily of pop if it wasn't interesting. I was always flipping and it drove me and my family crazy- until I found KRCL, a community station that one night played in a row, all the lesser known songs by PJ Harvey, Groove Armada, They Might Be Giants, Dream Theater, Stereolab, Radiohead, Sonic Youth, Orbital, A Tribe Called Quest, Iggy Pop, Pavement, Nina Simone, Ramones, T.Rex, ... I mean, at that time (I'm guessing 1992,94?) bside songs didn't play on the other stations, and certainly not all on one station. These songs talked about drugs, sex, had swear words... I remember quietly scurrying to find a tape that I didn't care about and taping the radio on both sides til nothing else could fit. I don't remember which song was first, but I was so blown away by what I was listening to so late at night that it felt like a secret.(and in Small Lake Shitty, Utah, it probably was- maybe Mitch can vouch for that?)

Anyway, I listened to that tape for years, I loved how those secret songs made me feel. It was a mood brought together by different artists from all over the spectrum that magically had all the stuff I love in a radio segment of a couple of hours with barely any talk. I can't believe I forgot about that tape! Seeing the cover for it (the tape itself got worn and mended with scotch tape, and lost) totally puts together how/why I went into journalism, was a radio dj myself for a while, and why being an audiophile at a concert is so infinitely interesting- why Coachella tickles my bones and starts it all over again. Only it's not a secret anymore, and I'm ok with that.

The end.

amyzzz
10-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Are your parents missionaries in Chile? I'm still confused about the Chile connection with all this Utah talk.

FEELS
10-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Ever since I was a toddler I was really infatuated with music but the first song that made me realize there was incredible shit out there, not just on the radio, was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ctxrWtX0EU

As you can imagine, hearing that at 11 years old was a revelation. Liberty spikes and all in middle school

Bob Dylan also opened up a lot of doors for me. I think the first song I remember hearing from him was All I Really Want To Do on that bootleg live series.

Bright Eyes as well. My 6th grade teacher introduced me to Elliott Smith (would play Needle In The Hay for me on guitar in class), that was another big one.

djbionik
10-30-2013, 08:35 AM
I suppose that might be confusing.
My parents left Chile during the military coup (1974) and came to Utah as mormon converts. I, unfortunately, was born here, grew up here (left for about 8 years, and accidentally came back), and No, I am not mormon now. My parents retired and moved back to Chile- my mom splits the year between there and here for the grandkids, and my dad comes up with her for a month only, because he tends to his avocado/pomegranate farm.

- so there you go.

zircona1
10-30-2013, 08:52 AM
For my 9th or 10th birthday (can't remember which one), my parents got me a red Sharp radio/cassette jam box (I still have it, I think it still works). They also got me REO Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity, Wheels Are Turnin' and Genesis' Invisible Touch on cassette. They knew I liked REO b/c they would play Hi Infidelity in the car all the time and I really liked it. REO was also the first concert I went to (thanks Mom!). I don't remember why they got me Genesis - I guess I must've shown a liking towards the songs they had on the radio (I didn't get MTV until we moved, in 1988, when I was 10). Those were the first albums I owned. I can't remember the first tape I bought with my own money, but I remember buying George Michael's Faith and Lionel Richie's Dancing On the Ceiling.

I listened to Oldies radio all the time as a teen - wasn't interested in Marky Mark or any of the rap stuff that was popular with everyone else.

I used to record radio shows - I got a microphone from a record store and would make tapes of me introducing the songs. You will probably hear these if I ever get famous (probably on a late night talk show).

First CD I bought was Bon Jovi's Keep the Faith. That CD is now probably lying in a used bin somewhere.
First CD with an explicit lyrics tag I bought was Cypress Hill's Black Sunday. That one I still have.

In high school I listened to U2, R.E.M., Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Liz Phair, Soundgarden, Nirvana (weirdly, I didn't get into them until after Kurt died). Mostly I listened to stuff that MTV told me to like. And I stupidly ignored 120 Minutes. That goes for college too.

First big music fest I traveled to was the Austin City Limits Fest in 2007, they had the best lineup of bands I wanted to see - The White Stripes! Arcade Fire! LCD Soundsystem! M.I.A!, etc (yes, it fucking sucked that the Stripes cancelled).

Today I'm more curious about music than ever - looking around for stuff I think I might like.

zircona1
10-30-2013, 08:57 AM
7th grade I think, first media I ever bought (45rpm).... cr****

"Palisades Park," "Talahassee Lassie" and "Way Down Yonder In New Orleans

all by Freddy Cannon

That song rules.

kvnty
10-30-2013, 09:08 AM
My little gang and I would sit in a circle at a recess (indoors during a brutally cold Northern Michigan winter) and listen to a 45 of "I Never Cry" by Alice Cooper. On the flip side was "Go to Hell." We could hear each song twice in the 15-minute break. Our 3rd grade teacher was scared to death of us.

M0D3Z
10-30-2013, 09:08 AM
I feel i got lucky with the music my parents listened to, as well as my cousins and baby sitters being big into music. My Family came from Glasgow, Scotland so the music scene there is just huge. My dad flooded me with the British invasion music and the other synth msic from the 80's. My cousins were all into the alternative and punk scene while my babysitters had me into the American Metal and Grunge. My first CD was Metallica - the Black Album at age 6... Ya, kinda awesome for that age.

ActionComics
10-30-2013, 09:41 AM
I bought my first cd in the 5th grade. It was the motion picture sound track for mortal kombat. I still remember my dad barging into my room "TURN THAT SHIT OFF!!!" ahh memories.... the first album I picked up was smashing pumpkins: mellon collie and the infinite sadness. It is still my favorite album to this day.

amyzzz
10-30-2013, 09:41 AM
I loved Grease, Xanadu, and West Side Story soundtracks from about ages 5-7, but the first tape I bought was Chicago 17, and sometime after that I bought Michael Jackson's Thriller because it was 1983 and everyone bought that. I soaked in a lot of MTV and top 40 radio around that time but didn't REALLY get into music until Erasure hit it really big with A Little Respect when I was 15. I got to see them live in 1990 and also discovered Depeche Mode's 101 right before Violator came out and I was well on my way. I got to see the World Violation tour at age 16.

Jordanp
10-30-2013, 06:01 PM
The song that did it more than the album was seeing school of rock in theaters when i was 10 and hearing the Immigrant Song. I immediately immersed myself in all classic rock.
The first cds I bought were D12 World and that outkast double feature. I thought i was a bad ass because i was 12 and the guy at borders sold them to me even though they had a parental advisory warning. haha

djbionik
11-02-2013, 12:31 PM
My little gang and I would sit in a circle at a recess (indoors during a brutally cold Northern Michigan winter) and listen to a 45 of "I Never Cry" by Alice Cooper. On the flip side was "Go to Hell." We could hear each song twice in the 15-minute break. Our 3rd grade teacher was scared to death of us.

This is awesome. I recall a similar experience when NIN came out. I had mormon friends, hardcore born-again christian friends, and baptist friends who definitely disowned me for being part of the little circle that passed around the CD in 7th grade during breaks. But 3rd grade....man, that's truly wicked. Rad <3

kvnty
11-03-2013, 07:20 AM
This is awesome. I recall a similar experience when NIN came out. I had mormon friends, hardcore born-again christian friends, and baptist friends who definitely disowned me for being part of the little circle that passed around the CD in 7th grade during breaks. But 3rd grade....man, that's truly wicked. Rad <3

Way to turn those Mormons. Ha!

ThatGirl
11-03-2013, 07:26 AM
I loved Grease, Xanadu
I was obsessed with these when I was 9 or 10. My dad played Xanadu at his movie theatre for about 4 weeks and I was there each weekend for the matinees. I still know the whole soundtrack to both of those.

djbionik
11-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Yes!! In addition to my dark side, I couldn't help but love the chiffon, glitter and sequins. I had a Xanadu going away party before I left for college. We put up Xanadu from a projector screen onto the wall, did a bunch of drugs and roller skated in my empty house and out onto the city. hahaha. In my mind, I lived out the movie- I was so blitzed that I actually ended up on a highrise rooftop in SLC with roller skates on.
Good times inspired by a good movie. I should find those pictures.

kvnty
11-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Yes!! In addition to my dark side, I couldn't help but love the chiffon, glitter and sequins. I had a Xanadu going away party before I left for college. We put up Xanadu from a projector screen onto the wall, did a bunch of drugs and roller skated in my empty house and out onto the city. hahaha. In my mind, I lived out the movie- I was so blitzed that I actually ended up on a highrise rooftop in SLC with roller skates on.

I want to party with you.

ThatGirl
11-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Jesus. Did the muses come out of the graffiti and come to life on a brick wall on the rooftop? That sounds like a riot.