PDA

View Full Version : ebay scalpers

elChurro
02-26-2008, 12:01 PM
theres a ton of saturday tickets on ebay for a buyout price of 130 dollars... BEWARE: shipping prices are 10 dollars and up. WTF?

faxman75
02-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Who cares. If people want to pay that for a ticket, what's wrong with that? If they don't, then the seller is stuck with it. I mean really. I'm amazed at the uproar scalping causes. There are more important things in the world to worry about than two concenting adults making a business transaction. So, yes that means I am ok with drugs and prositution as well. Victimless crimes.

nationocean
02-26-2008, 12:44 PM
sweet. i actually agree with faxman.

what is the world coming to?

elChurro
02-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Sounds like your in the biz of scalping, which is illegal I might add. There should be a ticket limit per day to cutout opportunist scumbags like yourself is all I'm saying...

get a real job.

Blinken
02-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Wow. Because he defended the free market he is a scalper. Great jump in logic my friend.

Blinken
02-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Oh yeah scalping is not illegal, maybe at the show itself, but not on E-Bay or Stub Hub. Dumbfuck. Oh yeah i am not a scalper, before you accuse me of such.

C DUB YA
02-26-2008, 02:48 PM
In terms of scalping being illegal...

actually, I'm pretty sure that depends and differs from state to state.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-26-2008, 02:54 PM
If an auction drives the price up thats the buyers fault their demand drives the price...but to set a ticket at a high price and just give a buy it now option is pretty low down.

SFChrissy
02-26-2008, 02:56 PM
I think for the most part why scalping is frowned upon especially here is becaue most of us here fiend for music and going to the gig...so when some fuck is messing with our "Dope" (dope being musik) then us fiends have a problem!!!

humanoid
02-26-2008, 03:00 PM
you're aware that everything you buy, is bought by someone else first, then marked up and sold to you, correct? (of course unless you buy it directly from whoever creates whatever it is, but then it is still marked up)

its unfortunate that people buy tickets ahead of time so they can sell them at higher prices to those not fortunate enough to have gotten them ahead of time....but to get angry and start calling people names over it is a little ridiculous.....especially if they just made a comment and you have no proof if they've ever done such a thing themselves...

Sonicifyouwantit
02-26-2008, 03:06 PM
you're aware that everything you buy, is bought by someone else first, then marked up and sold to you, correct? (of course unless you buy it directly from whoever creates whatever it is, but then it is still marked up)

its unfortunate that people buy tickets ahead of time so they can sell them at higher prices to those not fortunate enough to have gotten them ahead of time....but to get angry and start calling people names over it is a little ridiculous.....especially if they just made a comment and you have no proof if they've ever done such a thing themselves...

BASTARDS EVERY ONE OF EM! naw just kidding, Ive resold tix too if the market is driving the price up. I list the tix for less than I buy them but bidders fight eachother for them. If I have something thats worth $ to others and want to sell it who cares. For example a record thats worth a lot, should I just sell it for original cost, or my cost? no way sell it for what ever people feel its worth to them.

C DUB YA
02-26-2008, 03:11 PM
yeah but for the most part, people don't buy records up just to resale them every week.

I don't know of any "record brokers" but I can name off 10 ticket brokers in Ohio alone.

Blinken
02-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Exactly Sonic. It is all about demand. Concerts have limited supply, so when demand gets extremly high the prices go up because more can not be made. I know they can a second night but thats not the point. If someone wants to market to the people who feel it is worth some godly sum of money for a concert or sporting ticket so be it. This is also an effect of pricing concert tickets below the equalibrim point. Scalpers move in to adjust the price to an equilibrim point. If you get assed out, to bad. You can pay the price the market price or not it is that simple.

Like Sonic said this applies to all scarce commidities be it rare records or concert tickets. It is the way of life deal with it.

Blinken
02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
yeah but for the most part, people don't buy records up just to resale them every week.

I don't know of any "record brokers" but I can name off 10 ticket brokers in Ohio alone.

Records may have been a bad example because it is not a scarce commidity unless it is rare. Look at collectable stores, like comics, coins, stamps, and even at one point beanie babys. People buy them to resale at a later date all the time. It just so happens that concert tickets can increase in value faster, thus you have a larger return on your investment.

gaypalmsprings
02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Records may have been a bad example because it is not a scarce commidity unless it is rare.

Search eBay using the word "rare" - and you'll find "255746 items found"

Blinken
02-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Search eBay using the word "rare" - and you'll find "255746 items found"

That is fucking awsome.

JustSteve
02-26-2008, 05:28 PM
BEWARE: shipping prices are 10 dollars and up. WTF?

if they are shipping with ups, dhl, or fedex then that is not really overpriced...

suprefan
02-26-2008, 05:48 PM
In terms of scalping being illegal...

actually, I'm pretty sure that depends and differs from state to state.

Yep, some states limit re sale prices and everything. California has no re sale cap. New York was going to let the cap expire because they thought it would even the ''playing field'' if that happens, I dont know if it did.

Ok response to the first post. Wait, $130 buy it now for one single day ticket is robbery? Last I checked thats barely $25 above what full price was after TM charges. Thats not like ''oh my god my wallet is going to explode!!'' pricing man, stop whining. In the end those prices will drop about mid april if this thing isnt sold out and they need to get rid of those things. Like there wont be some tickets for face value? And I am sure a lot of people will be posting their tickets up in about a month when things do not work out and they want to sell them cause they cant go.

HEADSTRUCK
02-26-2008, 10:52 PM
130 isnt bad. what is a single day after the fees? i payed 500 last year fo sunday!!!!

gaypalmsprings
02-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Last I checked thats barely $25 above what full price was after TM charges.

Even then, subtract the eBay & PayPal fees, and the markup is hardly in the "scalping" range.

dontfeedthebird
02-26-2008, 11:32 PM
So, yes that means I am ok with drugs and prositution as well. Victimless crimes.

I'm okay with them to, but I don't think they're "victimless."

theburiedlife
02-26-2008, 11:36 PM
I heard somewhere the United Kingdom is passing legislation to counter scalping...

breakjaw
02-27-2008, 12:55 AM
My problem with scalping and scalpers comes when the scalper,who usually is some douchebag in a satin Bon Jovi tour jacket,looks the scalpee,who is usually someone who has a genuine interest in seeing whatever the scalper is selling tickets for,in the eye and says "I can't let you have it for that price",even though that price is far more than the scalper paid for the tickets.
They are the same mentality as the folks in Russia that sold food at inflated prices,because food was so scarce.Shameless oppurtunists that contribute nothing to society.
Other than that,they're okay.

Cpt. Funkaho
02-27-2008, 05:12 AM
Much as I hate the repetitive arguments over whether or not scalpers are scum (my position, though I'll never enter the argument: yes, yes, a thousand times yes), I like threads like these because they're really good honeypots to see whether or not Delta has registered an alias yet. He could never stay away from a thread like this.

faxman75
02-27-2008, 06:05 AM
sweet. i actually agree with faxman.

what is the world coming to?

I wish I had a nickel for the number of times I hear this each day on a message board. Apparently people generally disagree with me and are shocked when they do agree.

faxman75
02-27-2008, 06:07 AM
Sounds like your in the biz of scalping, which is illegal I might add.

Sounds like you are misinformed. It's completely legal. Also I have not "scalped" a ticket in a long time.

There should be a ticket limit per day to cutout opportunist scumbags like yourself is all I'm saying...

get a real job.

Apparently you are just a troll. I do have a real job. Get a brain and learn the laws since you have already shown your ignorance.

faxman75
02-27-2008, 06:10 AM
If an auction drives the price up thats the buyers fault their demand drives the price...but to set a ticket at a high price and just give a buy it now option is pretty low down.

Or pretty honest and convenient for anyone who wants to pay that price. There are tons of options for tickets and if someone wants to pay $130 or whatever for a single day right now this second then let them. I would suggest waiting as you still have a full 2 months and more single day tickets may be released. Hell, craigslist a few days before will probably have them for less than face. I have no problem with opportunists. Good for them.

sbessiso
02-27-2008, 06:13 AM
im trying to agree with you faxman, and for the most part i do, just a little voice in me is still saying that its wrong

bottom line, its not food, or medical supplies, its a concert, make that money

paganman7
02-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Wasn't it you, faxy, that spearheaded the effort to brand sigma a scalper? I may be remembering incorrectly, but I do remember, on more than one occasion, you called sigma a scalper.

He may have been a scalper, however, and you were just making an observation.

And for the record, I find myself agreeing with about 90% of the things you say (except for that ICP vs. Daft nonsense!).

TonyWonder
02-27-2008, 06:56 AM
They are the same mentality as the folks in Russia that sold food at inflated prices,because food was so scarce.Shameless oppurtunists that contribute nothing to society.
Other than that,they're okay.

Yeah...they're exactly the same. Why don't you go ahead and compare "scalpers" to Hitler and get it over with?

bobert
02-27-2008, 11:01 AM
The thing that pisses me off about most of the ebay ticket brokers is that they all use those automated bot programs that flood ticketmaster's software with hundreds of requests for tickets before you or I can even click a mouse. That has nothing to do with demand and free market dictating prices. That's a very small group of people buying up all the good seats to an event they have no desire to attend, and if the show is in high-demand and the prices are high, it pretty much guarantees that a certain group of (poor) people will have no hope of attending the event. If everyone had the same access to the tickets at face value and people still chose to scalp the tickets they bought, that would be one thing. But the current situation is fucked, and it's only gonna get worse. Ticketmaster sued the software manufacturer that was producing the bot program used by the majority of the brokers and they are no longer allowed to make the program. However, this does nothing to prevent people from using copies of the program already in circulation. The only effective thing Ticketmaster could do to stop use of these programs would be to re-design their software. Instead, they've just invested in the secondary ticket market. Now that they own Stub-Hub and TicketsNow, they have no reason to try and control the secondary ticket market because they are making a shitload of money off of it. God bless the free market.......

JustSteve
02-27-2008, 11:06 AM

haha, ok. because you need concert tickets to survive, right? hmm...

Blinken
02-27-2008, 01:15 PM
The thing that pisses me off about most of the ebay ticket brokers is that they all use those automated bot programs that flood ticketmaster's software with hundreds of requests for tickets before you or I can even click a mouse. That has nothing to do with demand and free market dictating prices. That's a very small group of people buying up all the good seats to an event they have no desire to attend, and if the show is in high-demand and the prices are high, it pretty much guarantees that a certain group of (poor) people will have no hope of attending the event. If everyone had the same access to the tickets at face value and people still chose to scalp the tickets they bought, that would be one thing. But the current situation is fucked, and it's only gonna get worse. Ticketmaster sued the software manufacturer that was producing the bot program used by the majority of the brokers and they are no longer allowed to make the program. However, this does nothing to prevent people from using copies of the program already in circulation. The only effective thing Ticketmaster could do to stop use of these programs would be to re-design their software. Instead, they've just invested in the secondary ticket market. Now that they own Stub-Hub and TicketsNow, they have no reason to try and control the secondary ticket market because they are making a shitload of money off of it. God bless the free market.......

That is very true. I did forget about the bots that snatch up the good tickets. But i have a solution, I bet you could find the software on torrents sites, so why don't you fight fire with fire. Use a bot to get your own ticket. True this is just causing more problems but it is an idea. Also everyone seems to forget that concerts are luxury items.

elChurro
02-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Oh yeah scalping is not illegal, maybe at the show itself, but not on E-Bay or Stub Hub. Dumbfuck. Oh yeah i am not a scalper, before you accuse me of such.

I totally understand someone buying a 3-day pass and selling the other two tickets, perhaps making some extra cash. But hording over 40 single Saturday tickets is pretty fucked up, especially when 40 other people are doing the same thing. Letting this happen (ticketmaster, goldenvoice) is slap in the face to anyone attending, but hey, what do they care so long as they place sells out. Everyone gets paid including the middle man, all at your expense.

You may not be a scalper, but supporting such actions makes you the.. well, you know. :thu

SFChrissy
02-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Also everyone seems to forget that concerts are luxury items. I don't see concerts as a luxury item...I see it as food for the soul...

boarderwoozel3
02-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Ticketmaster hates happiness.

SFChrissy
02-27-2008, 03:31 PM
^^^ticketbastard is the devil/antichrist

Blinken
02-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Letting this happen (ticketmaster, goldenvoice) is slap in the face to anyone attending, but hey, what do they care so long as they place sells out.

They don't let it happen it is byproduct of the industry. How would you prevent it? I can think of a few ways but they are not pratical or cost effective. One would be will call only. But remember the mess at will call last year? Now imagine 60,000 people having to pick up tickets, not practical at all. The other is something i think Glasto did last year or this year, everyone gets special tickets with their name printed on it. I don't follow Glasto that much so someone correct me if i am wrong. But that too creates problems. Lets set aside the fact that it would be drasticaly more expensive to print individual tickets, and you couldn't buy them anywhere but online. It would hurt people who legitimetly want to go to only one day and sell the other two at face value, it would be impossible. Lines to get in the venue would be horrific. KROQ put tickets on sale for Almost Accoustic Christmas just days before the show to cut down on the time scalpers have to flip the tickets. Don't know if it worked, but that was good idea. Would never work for Coachella though. If anyone has anyother sugestions i would love to hear them.

Oh yeah, i am not defending scalpers as much as i am defending the free market. It is fucked up that some people can't go see the show they want because a scalper got all the tickets. But if it something you really want to see, then be on the ball about it, get your tickets right when they go on sale.

$130 for a single day ticket is not bad at all, and the event has yet to even come close to selling out so this is really a non-issue.

Blinken
02-27-2008, 04:21 PM
I don't see concerts as a luxury item...I see it as food for the soul...

I understand that point of view, but if i am broke i would rather let my soul starve than my stomach. So to me that is a luxury item.

breakjaw
02-28-2008, 12:54 AM
haha, ok. because you need concert tickets to survive, right? hmm...

No.I actually only attended a few concerts last year (Coachella included) and ate food every day for the whole year.So food was more important to survive.
But the mentality of the scalper is what I was referring to,just perhaps a tad drastically.Someone else here mentioned drug-dealer,and perhaps that is closer to it.Get something people WANT,try to corner the market by snatching up all available product,then try to unload said product at the highest price possible.Actually that sounds like the main guy in "There Will be Blood".
I suppose that I'll just try to think of them in the way I think of drug dealers and oil barons,both of which I choose not to associate with more than I absolutely have to.

meyouseek
02-28-2008, 03:26 AM
Why are so many people defending those that aren't big enough fans to buy their tickets early? If you decide you want to see Radiohead on the night of the show, shouldn't you pay a premium?

What happens when bands find their own way to capitalize on the market? I'd prefer to keep tickets affordable for those who pay enough attention to get then when they go on sale.

faxman75
02-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Wasn't it you, faxy, that spearheaded the effort to brand sigma a scalper? I may be remembering incorrectly, but I do remember, on more than one occasion, you called sigma a scalper.

I used to defend Delta on the scalping issues and found him to be an amusing contribution to this board. Delta never bothered me. When he would get staunch about something it would be funny because he was relentless. So you are remembering completely incorrectly.

He may have been a scalper, however, and you were just making an observation.

And for the record, I find myself agreeing with about 90% of the things you say (except for that ICP vs. Daft nonsense!).

The ICP v. Daft stuff was funny as hell....to me. I just liked watching people make terrible arguments as to why Daft had more talent. I love Daft. I used to love ICP so it was easy to play the devils advocate there and I dont' even listen to ICP anymore and find them and their fans humorous. I must say, the staunch Daft debaters in that thread really didn't come off as any more intelligent than ICP fans though. lol.

faxman75
02-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Now that they own Stub-Hub and TicketsNow, they have no reason to try and control the secondary ticket market because they are making a shitload of money off of it. God bless the free market.......

Are you sure that's right? I thought Ebay purchased StubHub not Ticketmaster.

Yes I am correct, I just googled. Ticketmaster purchased "ticketnow" however ebay purchased stub hub long before that. So Stub-Hub and ebay are still competing with ticketmaster's "ticket now" in the secondary market.

faxman75
02-28-2008, 08:12 AM
But hording over 40 single Saturday tickets is pretty fucked up, especially when 40 other people are doing the same thing.

Why is that focked up? It actually works in the savy consumers favor. You can go to any arena show in the country that's sold out for less than face value because the scalpers have a handful in the parking lot. I saw the world fucing series in 2001 in $70 seats for $35. I didn't even miss the first pitch, i walked in during the national anthem. It was awesome. I saw the Rolling Stones in Chicago on the Steel Wheels tour for $15 and they were $85 seats. Scalpers are gamblers. They hope to get rid of them all fast but if they are stuck with them come concert start time they will take anything.

sbessiso
02-28-2008, 08:35 AM
i could never go to a show without a ticket and hope that i'll find one in my budget

paganman7
02-28-2008, 08:46 AM
i could never go to a show without a ticket and hope that i'll find one in my budget

Agreed. I can't, for the life of me, comprehend how some people do that at Coachella. They travel hundreds, if not thousands, of miles hoping to score some tickets. Those people have bigger balls than I do.

sbessiso
03-01-2008, 04:41 AM
indeed, my hat's off to them

bmack86
03-01-2008, 11:25 AM
I hate all of you in this thread. Why would you support scalpers? If they limit your chance to get a ticket from the original vendor for face price, why would you like that? And, don't say that it's because you waited, so it's your own damn fault. I find it interesting that the Radiohead shows at the Greek in LA and Berkeley sold out almost immediately, and then RIGHT AWAY, there were tickets on ebay and Craig's list. It's bullshit, and it's annoying. It's a pathetic leech mentality, someone buying up all of something they'll never use so that they can resell it to people who would have bought it had that person not had connections (or a program) to get in there first.

Tijuana
03-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Agreed. I can't, for the life of me, comprehend how some people do that at Coachella. They travel hundreds, if not thousands, of miles hoping to score some tickets. Those people have bigger balls than I do.

I've done it twice already and ended up spending less money than the 2 other years that I bought tickets early. I still bought my tickets for this year. But showing up without tickets is no big deal at all.

Wheres the beef?
03-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I wish I had a nickel for the number of times I hear this each day on a message board. Apparently people generally disagree with me and are shocked when they do agree.

So, according to you, if you had a nickel for every time someone agrees with you, you would have like 65 cents?

orbit
03-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I agreed with him about the Wilco show at Chicago being awesome, so make it 70 cents.