PDA

View Full Version : Where are The Roots??

ToddThaGod
02-26-2008, 09:24 AM
The hardest working hip-hop group in the industry. They tour every year, they release an album every year, and oh yea...they KILLED IT LAST YEAR @ Coachella. Their new album is slated for april 29th which will be the hip-hop bands 15-year evolution on record. so im just curious why arent gonna be there? you got little brother, and theres some good hip hop. but add the roots!

SFChrissy
02-26-2008, 09:26 AM
cuz they are playing APW...

But yeahhh, I'm hoping to see them again somewhere this year!!! And hardest working is damn right!!!

ToddThaGod
02-26-2008, 09:29 AM
true. i guess every year coachella goes for a new approach in the line-up. seems like they change it every year and tend to focus on a new genre or new genres. this yr doesnt seem to focus on the hip hop aspect that much. oh well ill just have to keep more of an open mind and get to know some of the newer artists. should be interesting this year none the less.

ZackQ
02-26-2008, 10:39 AM
They did kill it last year. Big up Tuba Gooding Jr. Wish they were back, but I don't know if they could top what they did last year, so much energy in the hottest part of the day.

SFChrissy
02-26-2008, 10:47 AM
They did kill it last year. Big up Tuba Gooding Jr. Wish they were back, but I don't know if they could top what they did last year, so much energy in the hottest part of the day.

I'm sorry but every time I see the roots they top previous gigs...I saw them a few months after coachell at the harmony festival and couldn't believe that there weren't anymore than 500 people at their stage and I was happy to be grooving my ass off at the front of the stage with plenty of room to shake my flat ass all over the place!!! I think they liked that me and my friends were the only ones shaking in the middle of all those clueless white kids!!!

gmoneyak
02-26-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm sorry but every time I see the roots they top previous gigs...I saw them a few months after coachell at the harmony festival and couldn't believe that there weren't anymore than 500 people at their stage and I was happy to be grooving my ass off at the front of the stage with plenty of room to shake my flat ass all over the place!!! I think they liked that me and my friends were the only ones shaking in the middle of all those clueless white kids!!!

Hahaha...What?..

The Roots are one of my all time favorites.. Not only as a hip-hop act, but as a band period. I caught them about 3 weeks ago up at Squaw Valley in a huge tent with at least a couple thousand people, fantastic show! They even started off with 3 new tunes off their upcoming album.

SFChrissy
02-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Was that king of the hill or some shit like that...

I've been dying to here them do "din da da" can't say I've heard them bust that live yet!!!

Mr. Dylanja
02-26-2008, 12:56 PM
The Roots bring it! No questions about that, my favorite hip hop act, just the fact they actually sound good live is enough to blow the competition out of the water. Common (with full band) and Juice and The Machine are exceptions but you get the point.

I was lucky enough to see them open up for Rage (my favorite band in HS) @ Chella, and open up for Tool (my current favorite band, dont judge) @ the Roo. Pretty sweet, both stellar shows. I've also seen them headline twice, here in PHX. I'm always amazed at their medleys where they go from song to song with such seemless transitions. Its like the whole band is a dj mixin it up, AMAZING!

I wil say this tho, after catching George Clinton and The Parliament Funkadelic, they honest to god blew the Roots away! It hurts a little to say that but its true. They are clearly a major influence on the Roots live shows except George and the boys got about 30 years of experience on their side. Trust me, I think Black Thought is the most underated MC in the game, but if the chance arises you MUST SEE GEORGE CLINTON!!!

Also on wakeupshow.com there is great video of Black Thought bustin flows, you might wanna check out. They also have Common, Cee-Lo, Crooked I and others as well, good stuff!

gmoneyak
02-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Was that king of the hill or some shit like that...

I've been dying to here them do "din da da" can't say I've heard them bust that live yet!!!

Yeah, King of the Mountain.

It was a pretty sweet setup. A very large stage flanked by two huge screens on both sides. CBS Sports was there so the entire concert was professionally filmed, suspended cameras for moving crowd shots, etc.

They didn't play "din da da" but I was actually more happy that they played a lot more tunes off of "Things Fall Apart", my favorite album of theirs.
It was a sweet time, caught DJ Logic's set afterwards, and met some cool snowboarder chicks who let met crash at their place..

Bud Luster
02-27-2008, 12:33 PM
George Krantz fucking owns.....

ArcadeParade
02-27-2008, 12:52 PM
only thing that would've made their show better last year would have been if they played more of their tunes off Game Theory.

I'll be checking them out at APW and would love to have them at Coach..

SFChrissy
02-27-2008, 01:15 PM
George Krantz fucking owns.....

Jesus!!! You know what I'm talking about!!! That song gets assess moving!!!

Sonicifyouwantit
02-27-2008, 01:20 PM
so this thread is about bashing the roots right? from all the negativity Ive read...its funny the only thing people disagree on so far is how much one loves the roots over the other. Congrats on the most positive thread! Fresh air to be breathed here.

Ive seen the roots three times, everytime I think I should skip em because Ive seen em already. I never end up skipping them though and am happy I dont everytime.

SFChrissy
02-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Sonic...I've seen them 5 times and always question myself..."maybe I should skip this one?" And in every case each show is different and unique and can not compare to previous gigs!!! I love it...

what amazes me is their display of diversity!!!

greghead
02-28-2008, 07:33 PM
The Roots bring it! No questions about that, my favorite hip hop act, just the fact they actually sound good live is enough to blow the competition out of the water. Common (with full band) and Juice and The Machine are exceptions but you get the point.

I was lucky enough to see them open up for Rage (my favorite band in HS) @ Chella, and open up for Tool (my current favorite band, dont judge) @ the Roo. Pretty sweet, both stellar shows. I've also seen them headline twice, here in PHX. I'm always amazed at their medleys where they go from song to song with such seemless transitions. Its like the whole band is a dj mixin it up, AMAZING!

I wil say this tho, after catching George Clinton and The Parliament Funkadelic, they honest to god blew the Roots away! It hurts a little to say that but its true. They are clearly a major influence on the Roots live shows except George and the boys got about 30 years of experience on their side. Trust me, I think Black Thought is the most underated MC in the game, but if the chance arises you MUST SEE GEORGE CLINTON!!!

Also on wakeupshow.com there is great video of Black Thought bustin flows, you might wanna check out. They also have Common, Cee-Lo, Crooked I and others as well, good stuff!

How is Black Thought underrated? He's one of the most respected MCs out there. If anyone disses Black Thought, they deserve a savage beating.

For Roots fans, check out the Jay-Z Unplugged album, the Roots are his backing band and recreate all of the beats and backing tracks live, and they are absolutely smoking. Check it out.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Sonic...I've seen them 5 times and always question myself..."maybe I should skip this one?" And in every case each show is different and unique and can not compare to previous gigs!!! I love it...

what amazes me is their display of diversity!!!

not sure if I liked their bonnaroo 07 set over coachella 07 or not...saw them at vegoose as well in 06

londontoronto
03-18-2008, 02:45 AM
black thought = the god MC
probably the best lyricist in hiphop.

wish they were at coachella this year.

londontoronto
03-18-2008, 03:38 AM
it seems there EVVVVVVVVVVVERYwhere else except coachella
lolapalooza
bonerooo
Langerado

whyyyyyy

SFChrissy
03-18-2008, 07:53 AM
They are playing the green apple festival in NY which is a free earth day festival...

CalmerThanYou
03-18-2008, 08:31 AM
They killed it at Vegoose...this would be an insane addition.

Also, get J5 back together. They would kill it too.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-18-2008, 01:12 PM
of course if they were added again you'd hear people complain about a repeat act