PDA

View Full Version : First timer at Coachella

Marnie
02-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Hello Everyone,
So this is my first time to go to Coachella.Fill me in,better to camp onsite or get hotels?Is it wild n out of control camping onsite?How about the festival,whats the scene like?Any suggestions? I'm super xcited & just want to be sure I have the best Coachella experience.
Thanks!

vinceolson
02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Hello Everyone,
So this is my first time to go to Coachella.Fill me in,better to camp onsite or get hotels?Is it wild n out of control camping onsite?How about the festival,whats the scene like?Any suggestions? I'm super xcited & just want to be sure I have the best Coachella experience.
Thanks!

Marnie,

I was a first timer last year. We camped. It was a fun experience, but it had a few drawbacks. The first night before the fest it was loud... LOUD until about 5am. Everyone was pumped up and ready, unfortunately the show didn't start til the next day. The people in the campsite are great tho. You meet a lot of great people just looking for a good time.

You will wake up at about 7:30 or 8:00 when your tent is an oven at about 130 degrees. You will open your tent and it will cool down to a modest 90 degrees. I recommend a pop-up or something for shade if you plan to camp, because any shady spot will most likely be taken by 400 other people who didn't bring something to shade them. The line for the showers will be long, but you shouldn't wait more than 30-40 minutes. The parties after the shows are fun because everyone just seems to group up, as they will, and play music (live and radio) and dance and be all drunk/drugged out until about 3-4 am when most everyone wants to get to sleep for the next day.

People will get exponentially less nice/accommodating as the weekend wears on, and you will most likely wish you had gotten a hotel/house. A hotel is nice but you'll have a hard time finding one about now. Check the lodging thread for that.

Hope this helps.

-V

JClemy
02-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Hello Everyone,
Thanks!

Last year was my first year. I camped and thought it was amazing. We met some really cool people and made some friends that we still talk to. I would recommend camping.

I will definitely warn you ahead of time that the camping isn't the most comfortable experience ever. You will be hot, a little uncomfortable and you probably won't get a lot of sleep. After saying that I still think that camping was better. I don't know how your getting down there but if you have a vehicle you could always take the 5 minute drive into a grocery store in town for a real bathroom and some food.

sbessiso
02-25-2008, 01:06 PM
it all depends on your own personal camping experience Marnie, have you camped before? how often? im a somewhat avid camper and can rough it up, sure its "uncomfortable" but that jus tadds to the experience, some people cannot do the camping, it ruins their weekend, i personally cant imagine NOT camping

karecares
02-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Last year was my first year camping. I strongly recommend reading through all the advice threads as they were very helpful for what to bring esp the stuff i never would have thought of myself. I am not a camper, coachella was my first time. Vince was pretty right on about the waking up experience of it being an oven. Shade is the key factor, it's the desert, it will be hot there is NO question about this and keep the bitching to a minimum about it, everyone is well aware of it :) Figure out what you do to normally cool off and find a way to do it while camping. The grocery store and local restaurants/shops for me were the way to go when it came to cooling off and going to the bathroom to poop, cleanest porta poties i've been to but still, i'm girly that way and if i can go somewhere else i will. if i think of anything else i'll throw it in the thread for you.