PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Movie.

Pages : [1] 2

BillyCrystal
02-21-2008, 12:10 PM
what's the most overrated movie?

NOTE: these are not all bad movies, they're just movies that are not as good as a lot of people seem to think.

rage patton
02-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Reservoir Dogs and Fight Club are in now way overrated movies.

instinct
02-21-2008, 12:28 PM
I would vote for Titanic.. but I believe most people now realize how corny that movie was.. and it's not regarded highly. I want to vote for Juno.. I thought it was pretty good.. but it's no masterpiece.. How come "Donnie Darko" is not in there?

nationocean
02-21-2008, 12:30 PM
every movie that gets rave reviews is overrated

C DUB YA
02-21-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm going to go with:

Shakespeare in Love, The English Patient or Driving Miss Daisy

captncrzy
02-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I agree with the English Patient nod. I personally thought it was a piece of crap.

roberto73
02-21-2008, 01:30 PM
With only six specific movies to choose from, how can the answer be anything but "other"?

noisemachine
02-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Out of the ones in the poll, I picked Garden State. It came out when I was in High School and everyone thought it was so deep. I think a lot of people thought that it was so indie and liking it would make them hip.

SFChrissy
02-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Reservoir Dogs is the best and shouldn't even be on the list sucker!!!

Mr.Nipples
02-21-2008, 01:54 PM
halloween...

dontfeedthebird
02-21-2008, 02:09 PM
The Big Lebowski

nationocean
02-21-2008, 02:54 PM
The Big Lebowski

oh no you didn't!

one of my favorite movies of all time.

SFChrissy
02-21-2008, 02:58 PM
DUDE!!!

Blinken
02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
2001 A Space Odessy

BillyCrystal
02-21-2008, 03:48 PM
i don't know how i overlooked Donnie Darko...that movie is almost as overrated as Garden State...

and i like Fight Club and Reservoir Dogs, but they're way overrated. i had a feeling people would stick up for those two, but sorry...

thelastgreatman
02-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Why in the fuck would you even put Fight Club and Reservoir Dogs on here? Jesus Christ, you have worse taste in movies than your fucking namesake.

BillyCrystal
02-21-2008, 04:13 PM
sorry man, they're overrated.

jimmycrackcorn
02-21-2008, 04:24 PM
no country for old men was over rated IMO
i enjoyed it but OSCAR?

R3d Snapper
02-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Of the choices, the boondock saints by far. I feel like gouging out my eyeballs whenever some zit faced teenager claims it's one of the greatest movies ever made.

zFxqvhRyoyM

gaypalmsprings
02-21-2008, 04:46 PM
any movie with tom cruise

Memorial_07
02-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Juno and Fight Club were excellent movies.
Why were they added?

And both are hardly overrated.

thelastgreatman
02-21-2008, 09:08 PM
no country for old men was over rated IMO
i enjoyed it but OSCAR?

You're an asshole too.

jimmycrackcorn
02-22-2008, 09:12 AM
You're an asshole too.

-shrugs-
:)

BlackSwan
02-22-2008, 10:26 AM
I knew Fight Club would be on your failishous poll before I even clicked on thread, but like I said... FAIL!

Astrid
02-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Napoleon Dynamite- it was funny, but COME ON SERIOUSLY??? FUCCCCK

Sideways- i feel like people saw it and thought "well i dont really know...but it got great reviews to it MUST be exceptional" bullshit. it was trite and pretentious.

fight club is an excellent film, and an even better book. one of the only film adaptations that didnt royally fuck up, even though they seriously altered the plot line. i understand though that it has become a "token" favorite film. but it shouldnt take away its merit just because a large percentage of people are dumbasses who will cling to any semblance of pop culture that they think will garner them acceptance.

same goes for resevoir dogs more or less. tarantino has become hugely successful largely because a lot of people are stupid. but, most people who LOVEEEEE tarantino hated death proof because it was "boring and they just talked a lot" tarantino is a master at dialog, if you can't appreciate his subtle mastery in death proof you probably only like him because he is SO IN RIGHT NOW.

/rant.

betao
02-23-2008, 09:16 PM

that is a PERFECT example of a good but overrated movie.

My god, that and Borat... could kids quote anything else?

boarderwoozel3
02-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Fight Club ans Reservior Dogs shouldn't be on this list.

Juno was a decent movie but Oscar nominations are a bit much.

I'm sure legions of lemming high school girls are going to start talking like juno too.

thelastgreatman
02-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Napoleon Dynamite is fucking unwatchable, that should have been on there. My brother and I overrided my sister's recommendation of it after like 25 minutes. No discussion, just "Okay, we're turning this the fuck off."

Fight Club is one of the best movies ever made. Reservoir Dogs is in the top 100, and for the limitations of the budget and what it was trying to be it is pretty much perfect. Seriously, perfect. Except for this one part where Harvey Keitel fails to light a cigarette but pretends he's smoking anyway.

Borat was great, but people quoting it was almost as bad as the Austin Powers ages.

Oh, and the book is not better than the movie in Fight Club's case. The book's great, and the differences are really interesting, but that movie executed the twist of the story brilliantly, with a constantly excellent combination of score, cinematography, acting, and editing. It's like Trainspotting--the material was just too easy to make into a better movie if a really talented director got his hands on it.

boarderwoozel3
02-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Except for this one part where Harvey Keitel fails to light a cigarette but pretends he's smoking anyway.

What part? If it was in the bathroom right after he got back to the meeting spot I think it was intentional. Keitel's character was so cool and calculated on the surface that his failure to operate a cig was the lone indication he was panicked internally. IMO.

dontfeedthebird
02-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Borat was great, but people quoting it was almost as bad as the Austin Powers ages.

the austin powers ages ended? oh behave.

thelastgreatman
02-23-2008, 09:48 PM
What part? If it was in the bathroom right after he got back to the meeting spot I think it was intentional. Keitel's character was so cool and calculated on the surface that his failure to operate a cig was the lone indication he was panicked internally. IMO.

Yes, that part. And no, I don't think it's intentional. At least in the script I know there was no mention of it. You can see Keitel make the move and just miss the tip of his cig, but he doesn't want to break the rhythm so he snaps the zippo shut anyway and just acts like it's burning. The way he washes his face in the sink is a moment where you see the panic you're talking about, but that cig was a gaff.

Also in the script there's a nifty scene that flashbacks to the story Keitel mentions of the job he was on where one of the guys turned out to be an undercover. It's a big surprise party, they're all waiting for the birthday boy to show up, the door opens and it's him, everyone cheers, then his head explodes from behind to reveal Mr. White with his two .45s and he unloads both clips on the room of birthday partiers.

betao
02-23-2008, 10:05 PM
i've always been a diehard fan of Snatch, and Lock Stock and two Smoking Barrels. Guy Ritchie is a brilliant director, and the production on the movies is great. Very fine examples of British film making at its best.

boarderwoozel3
02-23-2008, 10:12 PM
I would love to see how that scene would look. That said, its better left in the editing room. Reservior Dogs' simpicity is a huge part of its greatness.

breakjaw
02-23-2008, 10:14 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Scarface.(The Al Pacino one,the original is fantastic.)
Seriously over-hyped.A bad script by Oliver Stone to start with.just because a movie is about cocaine trafficking doesn't mean you have to hire a coked-out screenwriter who doesn't know when to say when.
A bad directing job by DePalma,who I like quite a bit.No editing utilized whatsoever,and absolutely no inkling of his subject matter,Cuban immigrants.
Then the worst over-acting ever by Pacino,including Scent Of A Woman and that horrible footbal gambling movie.Add to that all the other stereotypes portrayed in the film,and the one or two good actors totally wasted (Mary-Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Robert Loggia) because the director can't direct actors.It's a travesty that this film is regarded higher than Blow,which is so much closer to the truth of the drug business of the Seventies.

boarderwoozel3
02-23-2008, 10:16 PM
i've always been a diehard fan of Snatch, and Lock Stock and two Smoking Barrels. Guy Ritchie is a brilliant director, and the production on the movies is great. Very fine examples of British film making at its best.

Isn't Trainspotting a British film?

thelastgreatman
02-23-2008, 10:24 PM
I would love to see how that scene would look. That said, its better left in the editing room. Reservior Dogs' simpicity is a huge part of its greatness.

True, although if they'd had the budget for it I think it might have been interesting. The original script for Natural Born Killers also had some fucking AWESOME scenes that Oliver cut out because he sucks cock. In the script Mickey defends them in court himself with no lawyer, and practically gets them off. It's great.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Scarface.(The Al Pacino one,the original is fantastic.)
Seriously over-hyped.A bad script by Oliver Stone to start with.just because a movie is about cocaine trafficking doesn't mean you have to hire a coked-out screenwriter who doesn't know when to say when.
A bad directing job by DePalma,who I like quite a bit.No editing utilized whatsoever,and absolutely no inkling of his subject matter,Cuban immigrants.
Then the worst over-acting ever by Pacino,including Scent Of A Woman and that horrible footbal gambling movie.Add to that all the other stereotypes portrayed in the film,and the one or two good actors totally wasted (Mary-Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Robert Loggia) because the director can't direct actors.It's a travesty that this film is regarded higher than Blow,which is so much closer to the truth of the drug business of the Seventies.

I agree 100 percent about Scarface being drastically overrated, but not about Pacino. If you take Pacino out of that movie, there is absolutely nothing captivating about it. Hammy, yes. But still--during that time period that man could do no wrong as an actor. I mean, come on... "Another quaalude, she love me in the morning."

Yes, and I agree with the implication that Guy Ritchie is getting too much credit there. Shallow Grave and Trainspotting are both vastly better than Ritchie's first two movies, which were really the same movie--he just remade Lock, Stock with a budget and a few changes in the particulars. Not that I don't still really like both movies, but Guy Ritchie is not an example of British film at its finest, not even close. Watch Revolver sometime if you want to see why you haven't heard anything about him for several years.

betao
02-23-2008, 10:25 PM

Yeah, and I am afraid to say I have yet to see it. But I will eventually, because I have heard very good things.

boarderwoozel3
02-23-2008, 10:28 PM

I totally agree with you about Scarface. People are all about it because it has Al Pacino, blow and tons of violence. Its in the same boat as Cristal, just because tons of “rich” rappers on MTV Cribs said it was the shit, dumbass kids worship it. There are better kinds of each.

Want to see a good cocaine trafficking movie, check out Maria Full of Grace.

betao
02-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes, and I agree with the implication that Guy Ritchie is getting too much credit there. Shallow Grave and Trainspotting are both vastly better than Ritchie's first two movies, which were really the same movie--he just remade Lock, Stock with a budget and a few changes in the particulars. Not that I don't still really like both movies, but Guy Ritchie is not an example of British film at its finest, not even close. Watch Revolver sometime if you want to see why you haven't heard anything about him for several years.

Snatch is the better of the two. And I'm not saying Ritchie is an example of the finest, i'm saying the combo of Lock Stock and Snatch is. They are different stories, they just share similar structure and a few actors.

boarderwoozel3
02-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah, and I am afraid to say I have yet to see it. But I will eventually, because I have heard very good things.

Holy god you need to.

This reminds me of a friend who claims to love gangster movies but has never seen ANY of the Godfather movies. Shame.

Well, the third one wasn't nearly as good as the first two. Anyone who hasn't seen the third gets a free pass but the first two are mandatory.

thelastgreatman
02-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Trainspotting's tied for the best movie of all time. I decided it and Pulp were just too close to call, so I made them co-winners. Go rent it, you silly fuck.

Snatch is definitely better. And yes, they are "different" movies... but seriously, I know Ritchie just figured "Well, nobody really saw my first one, and that was really good... I'll do another one just like it, but change the characters, and make it a boxing match instead of a card game." Oh, and Revolver is ALSO about a guy who in the beginning of the movie loses an absurd amount of money gambling with a mobster and has to somehow criminal up the money to pay him. It's ridiculous--the dude grew up upper-class, and although he was good for two rounds at pretending he knows about the dealings of the underworld, he's a big disappointment.

C DUB YA
02-23-2008, 10:45 PM
I have agreed with everyone of lastgreatman's post in here.

boarderwoozel3
02-23-2008, 10:53 PM
I have agreed with everyone of lastgreatman's post in here.

Its a trip isn't it?

On a side note: Anyone seen any good films that they want to suggest?
If you havent seen Deer Hunter with DeNiro and Walken you need to.

breakjaw
02-23-2008, 11:43 PM
If you liked Deer Hunter (the movie not the Wal-Mart computer game or the band),you might like that Christian Bale movie about the POWs.Great performances and unbelievable anguish.I'm sorry I forget the title,it was last year,directed by Werner Herzog
Just looked it up,it's called Rescue Dawn,pretty compelling.Great for the little ones,they'll eat it up.

Memorial_07
02-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Whoever mentioned Scarface as an overrated movie, was very right.
I've tried to watch it all the way through, but as I watch it I think to myself how does everyone put it how it is hailed as?
Its ok. Its just gets praised way too much.

rage patton
02-24-2008, 01:14 AM
Scareface is a confusing movie, and does the culture that has followed it.

White people try to act like poor and black. Black people in turn are trying to act like a mexican. And the mexican (Scareface) acts like a rich white person. Wrap your head around that.

paulb
02-24-2008, 01:50 AM
garden state, from that list.

Astrid
02-24-2008, 03:17 AM
Oh, and the book is not better than the movie in Fight Club's case. The book's great, and the differences are really interesting, but that movie executed the twist of the story brilliantly, with a constantly excellent combination of score, cinematography, acting, and editing. It's like Trainspotting--the material was just too easy to make into a better movie if a really talented director got his hands on it.
I don't know if I can agree with you on that. I definitely think the movie has a stronger and more cohesive ending. But the movie would be nothing without the book, all of the epic dialog is direct quotes. I don't know I guess it's hard for me to like a movie better because you can get so much more involved with the characters in a book. And I have an intense infatuation with the way Palahniuk develops characters. Like the scene where the narrator and tyler meet...genius.

Another for the list: Forest Gump. I don't dislike the movie, it cheesy but it's hard not to love I guess...but seriously. People fucking shit their pants over it. I don't get it

thelastgreatman
02-24-2008, 06:32 AM
I haven't read the book since like 2001, so I don't recall the difference in how they met you refer to. Wait, do you mean that weird scene on the beach, when Tyler is building a sundial or something with pieces of driftwood?

Palahniuk is a good writer, but as I read more of his work his gimmicky aspects started to taint him for me. Stop starting new paragraphs for single sentences just to fabricate importance for your cute little lines, Chuck. The one thing you can't question about him is his research--that man knows whatever subject matter he's writing about very thoroughly, every time.

I think with Fight Club though you really have to say that the movie did a better job of delivering the "message," if you were receptive to it as I was. Of course they're his words, and they're great words--but it's a story about seeking out the visceral in life, and I don't think that a novel can communicate that as well as sight and sound AND the words.

Take the scene where Norton beats Jared Leto to a bloody pulp. How much more did those lines from the book resonate by being presented in voiceover with the actual sight and sound of his savage nature truly coming out for the first time? "I just wanted to destroy something beautiful." I don't think that line was in the book, actually, but I could be wrong. For some reason I remember being surprised that wasn't Chuck's line.

And besides the fights obviously being better communicated through film, the way that Fincher managed to capture the feeling of the book and communicate it flawlessly in the locations, lighting, music... the house felt much more real to me in the movie, for example. The ending was, of course, a vast improvement. I dunno, I could go on and on with little things. I guess it's just that my biggest compliment to any work is that it be totally cohesive--Fight Club was as a movie, not sure I could say the same for the book.

GaragePoet
02-24-2008, 07:20 AM

bastard, i was gonna go w/ "Napoleon Dynamite" ... i had to listen to everyone quote that movie for a year before i finally sat thru it & nearly pissed myself -- not laughing, that's just how drunk i had to get to sit thru it all...

GaragePoet
02-24-2008, 07:26 AM
This reminds me of a friend who claims to love gangster movies but has never seen ANY of the Godfather movies. Shame.

i gotta say, i only recently saw the Godfather trilogy & i don't know, maybe it was just ahead of my time or something, but i definitely thought it was over-rated (mostly the first, i liked pt. 2 a little more)

GaragePoet
02-24-2008, 07:40 AM
alright, third post on the same topic, but i had to agree w/ "Borat" being hugely over-rated... hilarious as it was, it was another example of a movie i was sick of hearing quoted months before i got around to watching it...

also, i think "Reservoir Dogs" is in no way over-rated... if anything, "Pulp Fiction" should be in that category

thelastgreatman
02-24-2008, 07:58 AM
alright, third post on the same topic, but i had to agree w/ "Borat" being hugely over-rated... hilarious as it was, it was another example of a movie i was sick of hearing quoted months before i got around to watching it...

also, i think "Reservoir Dogs" is in no way over-rated... if anything, "Pulp Fiction" should be in that category

... did this asshole seriously just claim Pulp Fiction is overrated?

Well, there goes any credibility you will ever have, in one fell swoop.

thelastgreatman
02-24-2008, 08:02 AM
i gotta say, i only recently saw the Godfather trilogy & i don't know, maybe it was just ahead of my time or something, but i definitely thought it was over-rated (mostly the first, i liked pt. 2 a little more)

Wow. You're just a fucking nightmare.

On a sidenote, getting off the subject of this guy's absolutely terrible taste:

Godfather 2 IS overrated. It is significantly not as good as its predecessor. The fact that film people sometimes try to claim 2 is the superior movie is so unbelievably fucked it boggles my mind.

GaragePoet
02-24-2008, 08:20 AM
... did this asshole seriously just claim Pulp Fiction is overrated?

Well, there goes any credibility you will ever have, in one fell swoop.

dude, asshole, i was only making the statement that if any single quentin tarantino film WERE over-rated, it would have to be "Pulp Fiction" ... i've agreed w/ most of your posts so far so don't go starting some petty pissing contest

Astrid
02-24-2008, 04:12 PM
LGM- you make a sound argument. I must admit, the book was my bible in the sixth grade, but at present day the movie is still in my top three, book has been demoted to top ten.

I agree with your critique of chuck's repetitive writing, I'm not so sure if it is bad writing or more towards stream of consciousness, like he has a very fragmented and repetitive brain. or it could be more of a gimmick by now. I'm just hoping he comes out with something totally different and original soon. Rant was good, but same shit.

okay so some more movies:
O Brother Where Art Thou? dont dislike the film...I think its more of a personal problem, had a boyfriend who totally got off to it, but it mostly bothers me that people think its a genius adaptation of the odyssey. ITS BARELY LIKE THE ODYSSEY PEOPLE. brief allusions do not make an adaptation.

A.I. also more personal grievances. the first half is pretty fucking genius, then kubrick died and spielberg RUINED the film by turning it into a total sap bullshit fest. most people fail to realize it was even directed by two different people. barf.

Love Actually- why do people like this movie?

I'm kind of a movie snob :)

thelastgreatman
02-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Dickhead who thinks Pulp Fiction is overrated--your error is that Pulp Fiction could not possibly be overrated as it is tied for the best movie ever made. It is simply a physical impossibility to overrate it. The film is perfect.

O Brother Where Art Thou was not claimed by anyone to be a particularly literal interpretation of The Odyssey. It is loosely based on it--most people have never read The Odyssey. Where are you meeting people who actually talk about that aspect of it?

A.I. was a crime against Stanley Kubrick by Steven Spielberg. I laughed hysterically for the last 30 mintues of it.

Who likes Love Actually besides people that like that general kind of crap?

thelastgreatman
02-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Of course you did, Foi.

Astrid
02-24-2008, 11:37 PM
O Brother Where Art Thou was not claimed by anyone to be a particularly literal interpretation of The Odyssey. It is loosely based on it--most people have never read The Odyssey. Where are you meeting people who actually talk about that aspect of it?
Lit majors and the like...it pisses me off though because I used to LOVE the odyssey, and most people dont know shit.

Who likes Love Actually besides people that like that general kind of crap?
Ive found that a lot of people secretly cry themselves to sleep to this shitty movie.

boarderwoozel3
02-24-2008, 11:54 PM
I can understand people saying Godfather Pt.2 is overrated, personally its right under the original.

Now, there have been two people who have the gall to call Pulp fiction overrated. I would love to know what films you consider good…

alex97
02-25-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm going to go with:

so true!!

alex97
02-25-2008, 12:24 AM

there are no words to describe what i feel for you right now.

:nono

:mad:

i can't even imagine in what twisted mind are fight club and reservoir dogs overrated movies.. and pulp fictions IS a great film and deserves every single great review it gets.. both this statements have been said enough in this thread, but still, i had to post this.

boarderwoozel3
02-25-2008, 12:28 AM
seeing as this is the same person who says Pulp Fiction is overrated.... yeah.

Lets recap, GaragePoet thinks the first Godfather and Pulp Fiction are overrated. That kind of taste in film speaks for itself.

Probably a Chelsea supporter too. HA!

alex97
02-25-2008, 10:45 AM
seeing as this is the same person who says Pulp Fiction is overrated.... yeah.

Lets recap, GaragePoet thinks the first Godfather and Pulp Fiction are overrated. That kind of taste in film speaks for itself.

Probably a Chelsea supporter too. HA!

:lool

GaragePoet
02-25-2008, 12:14 PM
you fuckers must have a pre-K reading level because your comprehension skills are atrocious... i didn't say i personally think Pulp Fiction is over-rated. i own every movie tarantino even put his name on (incl. Four Rooms, etc.)... but you go out & ask 10 random people about Reservoir Dogs & chances are no one's gonna know what the fuck you're talking about, so it's hard to say a movie is over-rated when it isn't even well-known... as for Pulp Fiction, i think most people just jump on the bandwagon & say it's a good movie w/o really understanding what it is they appreciate about it...

and as for the Godfather, sorry, but i grew up w/ more of a "Goodfellas," "Casino," & "Heat" influence, so by the time i got around to watching it, it just seemed a little slow... i'm not saying i didn't like it, i was just expecting a little more after hearing EVERYONE talk about it my whole life...

Astrid
02-25-2008, 01:10 PM
you fuckers must have a pre-K reading level because your comprehension skills are atrocious... i didn't say i personally think Pulp Fiction is over-rated. i own every movie tarantino even put his name on (incl. Four Rooms, etc.)... but you go out & ask 10 random people about Reservoir Dogs & chances are no one's gonna know what the fuck you're talking about, so it's hard to say a movie is over-rated when it isn't even well-known... as for Pulp Fiction, i think most people just jump on the bandwagon & say it's a good movie w/o really understanding what it is they appreciate about it...

dude. even my mom knows about reservoir dogs. most people know at least tarantino titles because hes just So Hip.

as for pulp fiction, i cant really disagree with you. BUT i think that about most people and most things. maybe im just elitist, or maybe im Just Smart Enough to see that most people are dumbfucks who will like anything the corporate media tells them to like, i tell them like, or their fucking aunt sally tells them to like. but i have found a substantial amount of people who truly love and respect pulp fiction for all of its mastery. so yeah...hard to say.

MeowMixer
02-25-2008, 01:37 PM
i dont think donnie darko is overrated

i enjoyed "juno" but definetly overrated

i JUST saw "the departed" finally for the first time, excellent film, but not Best Picture of the year material in my opinion

I hated the departed. Everyone died by getting shot in the head. sorry, that's the end. WAAAAYYY OVERRATED.

C DUB YA
02-25-2008, 01:39 PM
it is over rated - but it is still a good flick

sbessiso
02-25-2008, 01:42 PM
I hated the departed. Everyone died by getting shot in the head. sorry, that's the end. WAAAAYYY OVERRATED.

oh god i know, i thought it was REALLY funny, it felt like A MADtv sketch that's running too long so they go for the quick ending

MeowMixer
02-25-2008, 01:43 PM
What, like five main characters get shot in like a minute. Gotta go.

Weeping Willow
02-25-2008, 02:06 PM
You ever not seen someone's favorite movie? They get furious. "you haven't seen Goodfella's? what are you saying!?" Apparently i'm saying your sisters a whore.

-Jim Gaffigan

C DUB YA
02-25-2008, 02:47 PM
I will get furious if people don't get out or around to seeing No Country or There Will Be Blood.

whynotsmile99
02-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Garden State!!!

BlackSwan
02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Fight Club is one of the best movies ever made. Reservoir Dogs is in the top 100, and for the limitations of the budget and what it was trying to be it is pretty much perfect. Seriously, perfect. Except for this one part where Harvey Keitel fails to light a cigarette but pretends he's smoking anyway.

Oh, and the book is not better than the movie in Fight Club's case.

Holy shit, first time I have agreed with you and it is twice in one post.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-25-2008, 05:20 PM
I vote other: In the Bedroom

jonnypark
02-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Juno is so trendy. Maybe I will watch it soon.

breakjaw
02-27-2008, 01:08 AM
I feel Godfather 2 is superior for a few reasons.The family story is far richer,with Fredo betraying Michael being tragically epic.Also this movie has DeNiro and Strasberg,in two of the greatest performances of their respective careers.Al Pacino is also better in this one than the first,truly coming into his own,as the don of the family.It's a tough choice,because they are 2 of the greatest American films made,but I do think 2 is better.

thelastgreatman
02-27-2008, 01:44 AM
I feel Godfather 2 is superior for a few reasons.The family story is far richer,with Fredo betraying Michael being tragically epic.Also this movie has DeNiro and Strasberg,in two of the greatest performances of their respective careers.Al Pacino is also better in this one than the first,truly coming into his own,as the don of the family.It's a tough choice,because they are 2 of the greatest American films made,but I do think 2 is better.

DeNiro's flashback section is the only part that really rivals 1. The family story is richer and more tragically epic? Seriously? The original is a perfect story of how his loyalty to his family turns Michael from an upstanding man about to start his own family into a noble but villainous mobster. Godfather 2, to me, is a great backstory about how Vito essentially did the same--how a normal man becomes an anti-hero--but the Michael section is boring. He starts it as the confident don of the family. He is betrayed. He deals with the betrayal. He ends it still the don of the family. That is in no way as good of a tale.

M Sparks
02-29-2008, 08:03 AM
most people who LOVEEEEE tarantino hated death proof

You might have me coming around to vote for Reservoir Dogs. Not that I don't like it, but just because so many people rip on Quentin's other work while thinking R.D. is so fantastic. Personally, as far as entertainment value goes, I would rank it dead last. I would much rather watch Death Proof or Jackie Brown just for pure fun. Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction are both far better films. Hell, I'd rather watch The Man From Hollywood, and his performance in that is once of the most annoying things ever. And as far as writing goes, From Dusk Till Dawn is far more creative. True Romance is a great script too, though the movie isn't that great.

Again, I love Reservoir Dogs, but it's just a really great first film...that's all.

I was shocked at the response to Grindhouse. I can't believe people prefered Planet Terror. It was fun, and maybe fit the theme better. But Death Proof was an actual film that could stand on it's own.

Astrid
02-29-2008, 01:18 PM
You might have me coming around to vote for Reservoir Dogs. Not that I don't like it, but just because so many people rip on Quentin's other work while thinking R.D. is so fantastic. Personally, as far as entertainment value goes, I would rank it dead last. I would much rather watch Death Proof or Jackie Brown just for pure fun. Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction are both far better films. Hell, I'd rather watch The Man From Hollywood, and his performance in that is once of the most annoying things ever. And as far as writing goes, From Dusk Till Dawn is far more creative. True Romance is a great script too, though the movie isn't that great.

Again, I love Reservoir Dogs, but it's just a really great first film...that's all.

I was shocked at the response to Grindhouse. I can't believe people prefered Planet Terror. It was fun, and maybe fit the theme better. But Death Proof was an actual film that could stand on it's own.
i agree with everything you said, Except no way is jackie brown better than reservoir dogs. the problem is that tarentino has bankable name now. most people dont have the mental capacity, or perhaps are too lazy, to judge a film based on its merit, its all about name association.

in regards to grindhouse, i loved planet terror, it was obscene and absurd and wonderful, but thats all it was. death proof was pretty masterful.

okay so hear me out on this one: i personally love Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, love the book, love hunter, love where the buffaloes roam, BUT in my opinion most people just "love" it because its like OMG SO COOL. i think the film deserves all of the credit it gets, but its definitely misguided. the end.

PotVsKtl
02-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Trainspotting's tied for the best movie of all time. I decided it and Pulp were just too close to call, so I made them co-winners.

You ought to be pummeled in the face with Gorbachev's dead body.

thelastgreatman
02-29-2008, 02:17 PM
You ought to be pummeled in the face with Gorbachev's dead body.

I really don't see how the Premier fits into all this, but go fuck yourself and the skittles you road in on.

Mr.Nipples
02-29-2008, 03:08 PM
http://www.aussiekidsturningthetide.com/images/uploads/Mikhail_Gorbachev_koala.jpg

GaragePoet
02-29-2008, 07:38 PM
okay so hear me out on this one: i personally love Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, love the book, love hunter, love where the buffaloes roam, BUT in my opinion most people just "love" it because its like OMG SO COOL. i think the film deserves all of the credit it gets, but its definitely misguided. the end.

ok, so i totally agree w/ this statement, i read the book (twice) long before the movie got made, saw the movie in theaters for the first time TRIPPIN' BALLS as well as it should have been (saw it again twice mostly sober after that)... and it's the same thing: in no way over-rated but certainly more popular among sects of so-called movie-goers who don't know shit from some real shit. that's like the same thing i was saying about "Pulp Fiction" until some dude here tried to eat my asshole about it, but i wouldn't let him...

btw, read elmore leonard's book "rum punch" if you loved "jackie brown" ... the movie was better .... see also "get shorty" & "out of sight"

thelastgreatman
02-29-2008, 07:40 PM
That argument is still really stupid.

Elmore Leonard is a good example for overrated though.

GaragePoet
02-29-2008, 07:45 PM
argument IS stupid, stupid. but trainspotting was a better novel.. if only they'd make "porno" into a sequel...

thelastgreatman
02-29-2008, 07:49 PM
That statement is so far beyond incorrect.

GaragePoet
02-29-2008, 09:56 PM
don't be mad because your picture makes you look like a dickhead

goodgrl
02-29-2008, 10:21 PM
The Big Lebowski

Agreed!

GaragePoet
03-01-2008, 08:17 AM
"The Big Lebowski" really is seriously one of the greatest movies of all time... you can look it up. it's only over-rated by people who don't seem to understand it...

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 09:28 AM
don't be mad because your picture makes you look like a dickhead

This is the only instance of your complete cluelessness actually being a redeeming virtue. Otherwise, the summation of your opinions expressed in this thread put you in the "Die Slow" category.

M Sparks
03-01-2008, 09:31 AM
i agree with everything you said, Except no way is jackie brown better than reservoir dogs.

Reservoir is a "better" movie, but I'd rather watch Jackie Brown. I just said R.D was dead last for entertainment value.

Although, it may be just because I'm not burned out on Jackie Brown. I don't even own a copy...probably only seen it a few times.

in regards to grindhouse, i loved planet terror, it was obscene and absurd and wonderful, but thats all it was. death proof was pretty masterful.

Exactly.

I did appreciate Planet Terror the second time around a little more. Watching in the theater, I thought "OK, these Grindhouse flicks are going to be straightforward, dumb-ass exploitation...I'm down for that." So I was surprised how good Death Proof was, and later, how negative the reaction to it was.

Although, in my theatre, everyone seemed to love it. Except the retards who actually left when "The End" came up on Planet Terror.

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Death Proof was even better on second viewing, but I realize my first viewing take on it is slightly prejudiced by how much I enjoy the nuances of Tarantino. Further viewings make all the slow, steady dialogue more enjoyable through the knowledge that he had a semi-genius reasoning--to keep the film as sedentary as possible until his masterfully thrilling climax. Kurt Russell crying is fucking hilarious.

Oh, and yeah, Jackie Brown is in no way better than Dogs. Tarantino's gift is being a brilliant thief--it's pointless for him to adapt other people's material. He should just steal the parts he likes and pass them off as original like all his other movies, and be vastly better.

GaragePoet
03-01-2008, 09:44 AM
dude, DEATH PROOF was the better movie... and my favorite movies are zombie movies (i'm glad no one's said "Shaun of the Dead" so far, 'til now, but) kurt russell's some shit & rose mcgowan's been one of my old faves since "doom generation"

P.S. (point said) "jackie brown" was a much better adapt. than the novel...

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 09:55 AM
... you actually like Rose McGowan?

... you actually like The Doom Generation?

Jesus Motherfucking Christ. Die. DIE. Gregg Araki cannot be forgiven, ever.

GaragePoet
03-01-2008, 10:44 AM
bullshit, i can't wait for "nowhere" to be released on DVD

sadsappysucker
03-01-2008, 11:11 AM
i voted garden state but if i could i would take it back and say boondock saints. didn't realize it was on this list. I honestly don't see what people like about that movie.

Astrid
03-02-2008, 01:45 AM
rose mcgowen is DEADDDD sexy in planet terror. yet quite terrifying in death proof.

algunz
03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
My friend just let me borrow Boondock. Is it worth the view?

thelastgreatman
03-03-2008, 10:50 AM
The first half of Boondock Saints is enjoyable enough. The bartender is by far the peak of the movie. The story of the guy who wrote and directed it and all the shit that went down with The Weinsteins over it is far better than the movie. And the last half disintegrates into action bullshit.

M Sparks
03-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Gregg Araki cannot be forgiven, ever.

I watched Smiley Face a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure what to make of it. I got a slight kick out of it, but my wife HATED it. Anyway, it sure didn't bear any resemblance to an Araki film...except maybe the skull-fuck scene.

M Sparks
03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
rose mcgowen is DEADDDD sexy in planet terror. yet quite terrifying in death proof.

In what way was she terrifying? She was terrifIED, but...

Or are you talking about her acting. Because it was like night and day. I thought she was pretty funny in PT as well...she had all those corny lines, but her facial expressions were amusing. But the only good thing about her performance in Death Proof was watching her get beat to hell.

TonyWonder
03-03-2008, 11:43 AM
The most over-rated movie, in my opinion, is ALIENS. The original, ALIEN, is far superior to the sequel.

Also, Gladiator is the worst Best Picture winner ever, therefore one of the most over-rated.

thelastgreatman
03-03-2008, 11:46 AM
People that prefer Aliens to Alien speak volumes about themselves. Volumes of douchebag. Good call.

Gladiator can't be the worst EVER, but I agree it's yet another epic historical movie that consists of 30 minutes of entertaining fight scenes interspersed with 2 hours or more of completely forgettable boring-as-all-fucking-get-out storyline. Braveheart is equally guilty, but better fights. Still, total horseshit.

TonyWonder
03-03-2008, 12:10 PM
People that prefer Aliens to Alien speak volumes about themselves. Volumes of douchebag. Good call.

Gladiator can't be the worst EVER, but I agree it's yet another epic historical movie that consists of 30 minutes of entertaining fight scenes interspersed with 2 hours or more of completely forgettable boring-as-all-fucking-get-out storyline. Braveheart is equally guilty, but better fights. Still, total horseshit.

Fine...maybe not the worst Best Picture winner ever but it's pretty bad. I still can't believe that Forrest Gump beat out Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption in 94....bah. The last 15 years have had a lot of really weak BP winners.

Here is another terribly over-rated movie:

Mystic River

thelastgreatman
03-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Sean Penn is a kiss of death post-Ridgemont, I don't care what anyone says. Watching his tormented overacted bullshit is torturous. And yeah, Gump was pretty soul-killing. Hard to believe they've come around to giving it up for No Country now.

algunz
03-03-2008, 12:16 PM
I gotta put Chicago and Moulin Rouge or any of the other highly touted musicals recently.

TonyWonder
03-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Sean Penn is a kiss of death post-Ridgemont, I don't care what anyone says. Watching his tormented overacted bullshit is torturous. And yeah, Gump was pretty soul-killing. Hard to believe they've come around to giving it up for No Country now.

I blame Mystic River more on the incomprehensible/idiotic script and Clint Eastwood's atrocious directing/soundtrack. Tim Robbins ate as much scenery as Penn. Sean Penn is hit or miss for me but I can see how some might not appreciate his work at all. I really enjoy his performances in Colors, Casualties of War, State of Grace and especially U-Turn.

thelastgreatman
03-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Gunz--good point. Chicago has to be a more egregiously bad Best Picture than anything else in the past couple decades.

Having Tim Robbins AND Sean Penn in a movie together is a double kiss of death that renders any chance of quality impossible. Eastwood's direction in Mystic--particularly in the blocking and camera movement--is actually really impressive in certain scenes, but for reasons that require too much explanation. The conversations between Kevin Bacon and Laurence Fishburne though have remarkable examples of Eastwood's skills in how he gets away with breaking the rules of how you have to shoot conversations so they'll edit properly. The score is annoying though, and the acting... well, you can't blame him for those actors sucking, although you certainly can for casting such unwatchable fuckheads.

brando4n82
03-03-2008, 01:43 PM
hahahah, boondock saints is DEFINITELY overrated. Titanic is a great movie IMO. Fight Club gets a lot of praise, mayyybe too much, but thats just cuz , well i believe, its considered a cult classic, and thats just how it goes with those movies, but i guess the same can be said for Boondock.

OH. heres a fucking overrated movie for you guys, i might get some hate for this but i couldnt give a goood god fucking damn...

The Big Lebowski

people piss their pants over this movie and i have no clue why. constantly quoted. theres even an annual big Lebowski "festival" type deal in tennessee or something. everyone gets together on a big field, dresses up like "the man" and watches the movies. so um, yeah. sure it's funny, but give me a break. Big Lebowski is easily one of the most overrated movies.

Rebuttle anyone?

sbessiso
03-03-2008, 01:47 PM
is dat my daughter in derrr??

no, but seriously, on the topic of Eastwood movies, i thought Million Dollar Baby was pretty ridiculous

algunz
03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Rebuttle anyone?

You are out of your element.

brando4n82
03-03-2008, 01:50 PM
You are out of your element.

omg i want to punch you in your pussy right now. ugh, but i cant deny that was somewhat clever:rolleyes

sbessiso
03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
i can understand why someone wouldn't like Lebowski

brando4n82
03-03-2008, 01:56 PM

i liked it, dont get me wrong, i had a good laugh with it, but people are ltierally obsessed with it and its kinda annoying

Astrid
03-03-2008, 04:36 PM
In what way was she terrifying? She was terrifIED, but...

Or are you talking about her acting. Because it was like night and day. I thought she was pretty funny in PT as well...she had all those corny lines, but her facial expressions were amusing. But the only good thing about her performance in Death Proof was watching her get beat to hell.
The transition from super sexy badass, to ghostly waif really freaked me out. Also in PT everything is cheesy and over the top, so her bad acting fit right in, but in DP she just seems ridiculous.

thelastgreatman
03-03-2008, 04:55 PM
omg i want to punch you in your pussy right now. ugh, but i cant deny that was somewhat clever:rolleyes

Don't be a douchebag. It's the Coens--you watch it over and over until you fucking get why people love it, 'cause if you don't you're a douchebag.

They're douchebags?

sbessiso
03-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Dude, Coens can do no wrong to me (i don't remember liking intolerable cruelty/ladykillers though, but that was some time ago)

you don't HAVE to be a douchebag to not like Lebowski, but I mean c'mon greatman, you can see why, damn, i'm having a hard time explaining myself, it's this cold of mine

thelastgreatman
03-03-2008, 05:24 PM
No, you absolutely HAVE to be a douchebag. I swear. I've got scientific proof right here: the movie's hilarious. Not liking hilarious things is something only a douchebag does. Therefore...

sbessiso
03-03-2008, 05:27 PM
fine fine fine

what about intolerable cruelty/ladykillers? every director has his slip up right? (in this case, 2 directors)

thelastgreatman
03-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Nobody's perfect, man: Eyes Wide Shut; Godfather 3; and I'd put Barton Fink on the list of Coen missteps before those other two, actually. I fucking hate that movie.

Cancersticks1
03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I'd like to add Little Miss Sunshine and the Travolta-Hairspray-Cinematic abortion.

sbessiso
03-04-2008, 05:11 AM
cancersticks, those are two movies I love so very dearly, hairspray is the only movie i saw twice in the theater last year, i'm a sucker for musicals dammit!

M Sparks
03-04-2008, 05:54 AM
Dude, Coens can do no wrong to me (i don't remember liking intolerable cruelty/ladykillers though, but that was some time ago)

No, those were their two most recent movies until No Country...

They weren't awful movies, but they were lame enough for No Country to be considered a "comeback" by many people.

I actually liked ...Cruelty quite a bit for what it was...but for a Coen Bros film, it was such a throwaway.

Ladykillers could have been good. The original was perfect. I blame the cast...who thought using a Wayans was a good idea? Tom Hanks and JK Simmons were pretty funny, but c'mon...the original had Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers.

TonyWonder
03-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Don't be a douchebag. It's the Coens--you watch it over and over until you fucking get why people love it, 'cause if you don't you're a douchebag.

I'd put Barton Fink on the list of Coen missteps before those other two, actually. I fucking hate that movie.

Therefore...

sbessiso
03-04-2008, 06:06 AM
No, those were their two most recent movies until No Country...

They weren't awful movies, but they were lame enough for No Country to be considered a "comeback" by many people.

I actually liked ...Cruelty quite a bit for what it was...but for a Coen Bros film, it was such a throwaway.

Ladykillers could have been good. The original was perfect. I blame the cast...who thought using a Wayans was a good idea? Tom Hanks and JK Simmons were pretty funny, but c'mon...the original had Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers.

i need to re-watch those two though is what i'm saying, I wanted to like them so badly, i totally agree withthe cast for ladykillers, and the best thing i can remember from intolerable cruelty is when that hitman accidentally switches his inhaler with his gun, to a darkly funny conclusion

M Sparks
03-04-2008, 06:36 AM
the best thing i can remember from intolerable cruelty is when that hitman accidentally switches his inhaler with his gun, to a darkly funny conclusion

I actually forgot about all that stuff in the second half. It really was a pretty good movie, don't know why it takes such a beating.

But Ladykillers has to be their biggest artistic failure. Watchable, but that's about it.

gratytrainridesagain
03-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I didn't mind Ladykillers but not nearly as good as the rest of the Coen Bros films. It's funny how many people up here hate Fargo.

Hawkings
03-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Coen brothers can do no wrong, although couldn't bring myself to see what looked like their attempt at mainstream film Intolerable Cruelty. What about the steamy pile Gangs of New York for overrated ?

GaragePoet
03-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Coen brothers can do no wrong, although couldn't bring myself to see what looked like their attempt at mainstream film Intolerable Cruelty. What about the steamy pile Gangs of New York for overrated ?

i don't think you can consider a movie over-rated if everyone pretty much agrees that it sucks.

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 05:30 AM
Name a better romantic comedy than Intolerable Cruelty. Sticking in that vein of straight up romantic comedy, classically clean styled, no Chasing Amy votes allowed. They still did a good job considering the genre they were working with.

Ladykillers was less than great. Still was far from painful. I blame trying to attempt anything with Tom Hanks, even though he was great.

Gangs of New York, on the other hand, was aspiring to be something serious and deep and with portent, and failed. That is a bigger crime.

M Sparks
03-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Name a better romantic comedy than Intolerable Cruelty. Sticking in that vein of straight up romantic comedy, classically clean styled, no Chasing Amy votes allowed.

I'd hardly call it "straight up". It's more of a 30's style screwball comedy. It's about people trying to fuck each other over and ruin each others lives. People get killed. I can't see Meg Ryan starring in it.

dudezer47
03-09-2008, 12:02 PM
2001 A Space Odessy

First off, THAT is the single most fucking stupid thing anybody has said in this thread. Learn how to spell then learn how to watch movies.

Now...overrated is such a relative term. Godfather 2 is only overrated in its relationship to Godfather. A Clockwork Orange is overrated only in its relationship to other Kubrick movies. Movies like Barton Fink, Intolerably Cruelty or Jackie Brown are hard to call overrated as they are not generally regarded highly, whether among general movie goers or fans of particular directors.

As for the movies listed in the poll, I picked Garden State because it's the penultimate hipster wank movie. It's like Zach Braff watched every Wes Anderson and Danny Boyle movie and tore the heart of them. And then Natalie Portman tries to do her best Ruth Gordon impersonation but fails because she's not, you know, old. It's like an indie kid made a Hollywood remake of Harold & Maude without realizing he was making a Hollywood movie. Probably cause he listens to the Shins.

Reservoir Dogs and Fight Club aren't overrated; people just are a bit too obsessed with them. Titantic's only overrated if you're a 12 year old girl. Boondock Saints is one of those tricky ones because it sucked so bad that it didn't even get released in most markets and then inexplicably got popular via douchebags at blockbusters. Juno is just a trendy pick for overrated.

Truly overrated movies:
Sex, Lies & Videotape
Gone With the Wind
Silence of the Lambs
Ordinary People
Requiem for a Dream
Edward Scissorhands
Tootsie
Everything about American History X except Ed Norton
Anything involving Paul Haggis
Anything involving Frank Durabont

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Truly Failed List Items:
Silence of the Lambs
Edward Scissorhands SO FUCKING WRONG
Tootsie For what it is, it's a really well done movie
American History X the only failure of that flick is that they pussied out on the original ending because Norton had the director fired and finished it directing himself
Paul Haggis Sorry, but as much as there is to nitpick on the guy about, he's a solid writer.
And when you say Darabont (I assume that's what you meant) are you referring to anything besides Shawshank or are you just one of the Shawshank reactionary dudes?

Also, 2001 is overrated. The fact that it makes the top five of Kubrick's movies almost always is ridiculous. Godfather 2 is overrated because it's considered to be the best movie of all time by a lot of top critics, in fact it usually gets voted higher than the original in critic polls. That's completely and utterly fucked and backwards. Clockwork Orange couldn't possibly be overrated, it's in the top ten, top fifteen for sure.

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I'd hardly call it "straight up". It's more of a 30's style screwball comedy. It's about people trying to fuck each other over and ruin each others lives. People get killed. I can't see Meg Ryan starring in it.

Well there has to be some sort of twist. Here was the Intolerable Cruelty pitch: the world's foremost divorce attorney falls in love with the wife of a client. She's a golddigger who only wants to marry rich men to divorce them but he can't stop himself from trying to sway her jury to a verdict of true love.

It's just a simple juxtaposition thrown onto pretty standard romantic comedy tentpoles. Is it really that different than, say, You've Got Mail? Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan fall in love anonymously online not realizing they're actually mortal enemies in real life as Hanks's Barnes & Noble tries to buy out Ryan's boutique book store.

I'm not gonna get into the script structure breakdown of why they're really REALLY the same thing, but they are.

dudezer47
03-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Truly Failed List Items:
Silence of the Lambs
Edward Scissorhands SO FUCKING WRONG
Tootsie For what it is, it's a really well done movie
American History X the only failure of that flick is that they pussied out on the original ending because Norton had the director fired and finished it directing himself
Paul Haggis Sorry, but as much as there is to nitpick on the guy about, he's a solid writer.
And when you say Darabont (I assume that's what you meant) are you referring to anything besides Shawshank or are you just one of the Shawshank reactionary dudes?

Also, 2001 is overrated. The fact that it makes the top five of Kubrick's movies almost always is ridiculous. Godfather 2 is overrated because it's considered to be the best movie of all time by a lot of top critics, in fact it usually gets voted higher than the original in critic polls. That's completely and utterly fucked and backwards. Clockwork Orange couldn't possibly be overrated, it's in the top ten, top fifteen for sure.

Let's start backwards and go up. A Clockwork Orange as a movie is pretty good. As a Kubrick movie, it suffers from being overly obvious. There's not one completely unobvious moment in the last third of the movie. I'm not saying it's not fun to watch. I just think it suffers from predictability.

Second, Godfather 2 is generally considered the second best Godfather movie. The position that it is better than the first is a minority one reflected in nearly every major best film list put out there. Godfather as a series apart from its historical significance IS overrated as gangster movies have been done far better over and over again since Godfather redefined the genre.

2001 isn't overrated, either historically or as a film. Beyond the technical breakthroughs the film made (which are arguably the most significant of all time), the film's success is significant given popular critical opinion was against it and the film has no traditional narrative to speak of. I pretty much write off the opinion of anybody who thinks the film is overrated. It's like saying Citizen Kane is overrated. It's just fucking stupid and probably means you need to see the movie again and again until you get it.

I listed Darabont because everything he's done has been progressively more indicative of just how much of a talentless wanker he is. The Mist sucks. The Majestic was a overlong and as self righteous as a movie can get. The Green Mile was a bad riff on the simple black messiah movie. The Shawshank Redemption was by no means bad, but it was also by no means nearly as good as it's made out to be by some. The man mostly adapts Stephen King novels...enough said.

Paul Haggis's writing credits are a whos who of tv shit. Not one show that isn't utter shit. Then you look at his screenplays...Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, The Last Kiss, Flag of Our Fathers...those are some truly horrendous scripts. Now, that's not even getting into his greatest crime against humanity, Crash, the single biggest piece of bullshit to come out of LA in a decade. I can't say anything about Letters from Iwo Jima or In the Valley of Elah as I haven't seen them, and I'm willing to throw him a bone for his periphery involvement in Casino Royale, but overall, the dude's resume sucks total and complete ballsack. I guess I equate him with Stephen Gaghan. Like Gaghan he always writes about "important" topics in overly simplistic laughable ways. And like Gaghan, he started out writing for shitty tv shows.

I'm assuming you've seen American History X more than once. If not, watch it again. If so, we just disagree. I tend to think most skinhead movies are stupid and overwrought. Ed Norton's performance made the movie for me. The second time I saw it, it just felt like a mediocre melodramatic message movie with a great performance in it.

Tootsie is terribly overrated. It's often referenced as one of the ten best American comedies of all time. But then, show me a Syndey Pollack movie made after Three Days of the Condor, and I will give you reasons I hate it.

Edward Scissorhands pretty much illustrates all the problems I have with Tim Burton. First of all, he pretends that he's making a fairy tale when in fact he's making a nerd goth fantasy about society not getting the outsider. There are parts of the movie that worked for me, but overall, it just felt like a stupid fucking lie one tells oneself to reassure that you're a beautiful loser and not just a loser. Bad guys are bad because they have reasons, not because they are petty caricatures who don't get it. This is something that Tim Burton often forgets in his movies.

Finally Silence of the Lambs...it's not bad. I just don't necessarily consider it to be great. It falls into The Shawshank Redemption category of solid indifference. I can't deny it's a good movie, but it just doesn't feel as important as people attribute it as being...

dudezer47
03-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Well there has to be some sort of twist. Here was the Intolerable Cruelty pitch: the world's foremost divorce attorney falls in love with the wife of a client. She's a golddigger who only wants to marry rich men to divorce them but he can't stop himself from trying to sway her jury to a verdict of true love.

It's just a simple juxtaposition thrown onto pretty standard romantic comedy tentpoles. Is it really that different than, say, You've Got Mail? Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan fall in love anonymously online not realizing they're actually mortal enemies in real life as Hanks's Barnes & Noble tries to buy out Ryan's boutique book store.

I'm not gonna get into the script structure breakdown of why they're really REALLY the same thing, but they are.

Dude...go watch Preston Sturges. It's pretty much a half assed rip off of every movie the guy made...

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Let's start backwards and go up. A Clockwork Orange as a movie is pretty good. As a Kubrick movie, it suffers from being overly obvious. There's not one completely unobvious moment in the last third of the movie. I'm not saying it's not fun to watch. I just think it suffers from predictability.

Second, Godfather 2 is generally considered the second best Godfather movie. The position that it is better than the first is a minority one reflected in nearly every major best film list put out there. Godfather as a series apart from its historical significance IS overrated as gangster movies have been done far better over and over again since Godfather redefined the genre.

2001 isn't overrated, either historically or as a film. Beyond the technical breakthroughs the film made (which are arguably the most significant of all time), the film's success is significant given popular critical opinion was against it and the film has no traditional narrative to speak of. I pretty much write off the opinion of anybody who thinks the film is overrated. It's like saying Citizen Kane is overrated. It's just fucking stupid and probably means you need to see the movie again and again until you get it.

I listed Darabont because everything he's done has been progressively more indicative of just how much of a talentless wanker he is. The Mist sucks. The Majestic was a overlong and as self righteous as a movie can get. The Green Mile was a bad riff on the simple black messiah movie. The Shawshank Redemption was by no means bad, but it was also by no means nearly as good as it's made out to be by some. The man mostly adapts Stephen King novels...enough said.

Paul Haggis's writing credits are a whos who of tv shit. Not one show that isn't utter shit. Then you look at his screenplays...Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, The Last Kiss, Flag of Our Fathers...those are some truly horrendous scripts. Now, that's not even getting into his greatest crime against humanity, Crash, the single biggest piece of bullshit to come out of LA in a decade. I can't say anything about Letters from Iwo Jima or In the Valley of Elah as I haven't seen them, and I'm willing to throw him a bone for his periphery involvement in Casino Royale, but overall, the dude's resume sucks total and complete ballsack.

I'm assuming you've seen American History X more than once. If not, watch it again. If so, we just disagree. I tend to think most skinhead movies are stupid and overwrought. Ed Norton's performance made the movie for me. The second time I saw it, it just felt like a mediocre melodramatic message movie with a great performance in it.

Tootsie is terribly overrated. It's often referenced as one of the ten best American comedies of all time. But then, show me a Syndey Pollack movie made after Three Days of the Condor, and I will give you reasons I hate it.

Edward Scissorhands pretty much illustrates all the problems I have with Tim Burton. First of all, he pretends that he's making a fairy tale when in fact he's making a nerd goth fantasy about society not getting the outsider. There are parts of the movie that worked for me, but overall, it just felt like a stupid fucking lie one tells oneself to reassure that you're a beautiful loser and not just a loser. Bad guys are bad because they have reasons, not because they are petty caricatures who don't get it. This is something that Tim Burton often forgets in his movies.

Finally Silence of the Lambs...it's not bad. I just don't necessarily consider it to be great. It falls into The Shawshank Redemption category of solid indifference. I can't deny it's a good movie, but it just doesn't feel as important as people attribute it as being...

Ugh, alright, I have so little interest in an argument like this. I disagree with you in fucking every way, it's just silly.

Clockwork is not a plot-driven movie. Neither is 2001. You cannot call 2001 excellent and Clockwork a lesser Kubrick work. 2001 was mostly just a visual spectacle with an orchestral score, impressive when seen in theatres and boring if not. You can't compare 2001 to Citizen Kane as analagous accusations of being overrated. Citizen Kane was a brilliantly structured plot--2001 is practically a music video. Clockwork is vastly better than 2001, there's no point in arguing this, I don't want to.

There is not a single mob movie better than the original Godfather, ever, unless you count Pulp. Godfather II routinely gets thrown up as being better by critics and people who're trying to seem like they have highbrow taste in film. Fact is it's not even 2/3 as good as the original, and the 1/3 that is is the flashback to Vito's beginning. And if you try to claim that Goodfellas is better than The Godfather, just kill yourself. You miss the point of film and story entirely.

Shawshank is a great script. Adapting novels is not easy. Shawshank is used as a primer in just about every screenwriting course in the world for a reason. The structure is perfect, although I find the story mostly derivative, but that's King's fault. The fact that he's done a bunch of crap since then hardly seems important because I never hear ANYBODY listing Darabont as one of their influences as a writer. He nailed it once. Let him have his one great work and be done.

Oh, another guy bashing on Crash? Wow, first time I've seen that. It's a masterful script, sorry.

Seen American History at least forty times, probably more. Of course Norton carries it. He's the main character. But none of the other actors are particularly bad. For a movie about neo-nazis it's pretty fucking superb, and frankly just making him an empathetic character is an incredibly impressive feat. The only real fault is the ending--they should have had him shave his head like in the script.

Tootsie's overacted? You mean the transvestite slapstick comedy is overacted? Wow, you're fucking observant with your criticism. Tootsie is exactly how it should be for what it is.

Edward Scissorhands is half a fairy tale but mostly it's a satire on suburbia, and a brilliantly stylized one at that. The point of it is that you should look at what you're trying to fit in with more closely before you bother. Sometimes some of us will never have a chance to be a part of that if we would actually want to. It's very funny in its mockery of the neighborhood folk and yes, it is a fairy tale of sorts--how'd you notice? Could it be because of the utterly surreal nature and the fucking storybook retelling in the flashback? Jesus, pick one of Burton's actually bad movies, leave this and Beetlejuice alone.

Silence of the Lambs was a pretty impressive flick, dude. I don't know what to tell you. You don't seem to have a real gripe, you just didn't think it was THAT good. Personally, between Anthony Hamilton and Buffalo, I'm sold American. Didn't deserve an Oscar, but still.

Alright, seriously, I don't want to discuss this any further, but that's my response.

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Dude...go watch Preston Sturges. It's pretty much a half assed rip off of every movie the guy made...

... huh? What guy made? What guy are you talking about? Please try to be more specific or abandon a couple pronouns when you quote like two paragraphs.

dudezer47
03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
... huh? What guy made? What guy are you talking about? Please try to be more specific or abandon a couple pronouns when you quote like two paragraphs.

Preston Sturges= seminal screwball comedy writer from the 30s and 40s.

Intolerable Cruelty, O Brother Where Art Thou? & Hudsucker Proxy = wannabe Preston Sturges movies

Throw Howard Hawks & George Cukor into the mix while you're at as masters of the kind of romantic comedy you claimed the Coen brothers are originating.

Honestly, most every attempt the Coen brothers have made at screwball comedy or romantic comedy has fallen flat.

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 04:36 PM
... Where the fuck did I claim they were originating anything? Are you fucking retarded? Did my post not say, "It's basically the same thing as You've Got Mail" just as an example? Listen, you idiot, there are only 14 stories. That's it. 22 by some counts but basically fourteen. Anyone who's worth half a shit at writing movies finds some kind of new application of circumstances and juxtaposition to throw on to a basic plot structure that has been done to death a million times over. You think Preston Sturges invented that shit? It predates him too, and it predates motion picutres too. It was called vaudeville.

I never said anything remotely similar to claiming the Coens were originating shit. You need to read better. And Raising Arizona and Big Lebowski were bother excellent comedies. Go fuck yourself with your first year film course book.

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Here, maybe if it was in bold you could read what I said up there better:

dudezer47
03-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Ugh, alright, I have so little interest in an argument like this. I disagree with you in fucking every way, it's just silly.

This is probably where you should have just not responded.

Clockwork is not a plot-driven movie. Neither is 2001. You cannot call 2001 excellent and Clockwork a lesser Kubrick work. 2001 was mostly just a visual spectacle with an orchestral score, impressive when seen in theatres and boring if not. You can't compare 2001 to Citizen Kane as analagous accusations of being overrated. Citizen Kane was a brilliantly structured plot--2001 is practically a music video. Clockwork is vastly better than 2001, there's no point in arguing this, I don't want to.

Boring failure at analysis ending in subjective denouement.

There is not a single mob movie better than the original Godfather, ever, unless you count Pulp. Godfather II routinely gets thrown up as being better by critics and people who're trying to seem like they have highbrow taste in film. Fact is it's not even 2/3 as good as the original, and the 1/3 that is is the flashback to Vito's beginning. And if you try to claim that Goodfellas is better than The Godfather, just kill yourself. You miss the point of film and story entirely.

I think Goodfellas and Godfather are on a simliar level. I don't think either is as good as Once Upon a Time in America, Miller's Crossing or Scarface. I think Godfather has pretensions that it can never fully satisfy. I think Marlon Brando's performance makes the movie great, and I think it laid the groundwork for a different kind of gangster film. But I think it's greatness is in it's seminal redefinition of a genre that had sort of died off. However, it's not my favorite gangster movie, largely because I feel it succumbs to the cliches it largely helped create.

Shawshank is a great script. Adapting novels is not easy. Shawshank is used as a primer in just about every screenwriting course in the world for a reason. The structure is perfect, although I find the story mostly derivative, but that's King's fault. The fact that he's done a bunch of crap since then hardly seems important because I never hear ANYBODY listing Darabont as one of their influences as a writer. He nailed it once. Let him have his one great work and be done.

I don't know what circles you run in, but Darabont has a pretty devoted following that champion each movie he's made. Even The Mist got a shot in the arm by critics who love Darabont. Essentially he likes to make fables for adults. But then fables are usually pretty didactic (which is why Stephen King adaptations tend to not work for me because they're so full of shit). And like I said, I don't think Shawshank is a bad movie, but I don't think it's anywhere near great.

Oh, another guy bashing on Crash? Wow, first time I've seen that. It's a masterful script, sorry.

Great defense of the script. Again with the subjective denouement. Crash is a bullshit, cobbled together script that relies on multiple deus ex machina to teach us lessons that ultimately contradict themselves because Haggis is trying to show us how clever he is. At no point during Crash did I ever NOT know exactly where he was going with the story. If he were a point guard on a basketball team, he would get every pass picked off because he telegraphs the shit out of his passes. And there is no stupider film moment in recent memory than when the shop owner shoots at the locksmith. Oh, well I guess that's why he extraneously cut to the daughter replacing the bullets or had that seemingly random dialogue bit when the locksmith was tucking his daughter into bed.

Seen American History at least forty times, probably more. Of course Norton carries it. He's the main character. But none of the other actors are particularly bad. For a movie about neo-nazis it's pretty fucking superb, and frankly just making him an empathetic character is an incredibly impressive feat. The only real fault is the ending--they should have had him shave his head like in the script.

Yeah...here's where I just think we have a subjective difference in taste. I could not imagine watching American History X that many times. I don't think the ending change would've mattered much to me. Whether or not the guy becomes a nazi again doesn't really matter to me.

Tootsie's overacted? You mean the transvestite slapstick comedy is overacted? Wow, you're fucking observant with your criticism. Tootsie is exactly how it should be for what it is.

I don't think I ever said Tootsie had overacting. I just said I don't like Syndey Pollack movies post-Three Days of the Condor. I don't like Tootsie because it didn't make me laugh, and I thought it was boring and predictable.

Edward Scissorhands is half a fairy tale but mostly it's a satire on suburbia, and a brilliantly stylized one at that. The point of it is that you should look at what you're trying to fit in with more closely before you bother. Sometimes some of us will never have a chance to be a part of that if we would actually want to. It's very funny in its mockery of the neighborhood folk and yes, it is a fairy tale of sorts--how'd you notice? Could it be because of the utterly surreal nature and the fucking storybook retelling in the flashback? Jesus, pick one of Burton's actually bad movies, leave this and Beetlejuice alone.

Because the neighborhood vamp, the bully jock and the religious nut are archetypes that nobody ever touches on. Please. The movie is mean spirited bullshit disguised as empathy. THAT's why I don't like it.

Silence of the Lambs was a pretty impressive flick, dude. I don't know what to tell you. You don't seem to have a real gripe, you just didn't think it was THAT good. Personally, between Anthony Hamilton and Buffalo, I'm sold American. Didn't deserve an Oscar, but still.

I think the main issue I have is that while I'm not the biggest Hannibal Lector fan, I tend to prefer both Manhunter and Hannibal to Silence of the Lambs. It's not that I think the latter is a bad movie. I enjoy it. I just don't particularly understand why some people think it's amazing.

Alright, seriously, I don't want to discuss this any further, but that's my response.

See, here's the thing. I sort of figured you were one of those guys who knows quite a bit and uses his knowledge to bully others instead of discussing shit. And I think these responses pretty much back up that initial impression you gave off.

You want to argue points with me, argue points with me. You want to flex your muscles and spew subjective bullshit like it's gospel truth then don't even bother responding to me because I'm not interested in how awesome you think your opinion is. Less fronting, more substance; that's all I'm asking for.

PrettyRagdoll
03-09-2008, 04:58 PM
IMO: Garden State. It's an ok movie, but the reason most people talk about it is because of the OMGAWDSOFUCKINGCOOL Soundtrack

Napoleon Dynamite is fucking unwatchable, that should have been on there. My brother and I overrided my sister's recommendation of it after like 25 minutes. No discussion, just "Okay, we're turning this the fuck off."

This is also true.

dudezer47
03-09-2008, 05:00 PM
I never said anything remotely similar to claiming the Coens were originating shit. You need to read better. And Raising Arizona and Big Lebowski were bother excellent comedies. Go fuck yourself with your first year film course book.

I didn't mention Raising Arizona or Big Lebowski, did I? But then I don't view either as send ups to Preston Sturges.

As for the first year film course book, please. Not everybody takes film classes to get their opinions on movies. Some of us do our own legwork...

I was just mainly responding to the idea that they were putting a twist on the romantic comedy genre. I don't think they really were. I think it's probably a stretch to consider Intolerable Cruelty anything but mild diversion. I think you're sipping the fanboy kool aid if you do. But then I don't really have a problem with that as long as you're up front about it.

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 05:02 PM
I've argued on this board more than you could possibly fathom and I'm tired of it. And I'll be goddamned if I bother to waste my time with someone who uses the phrase "subjective denouement" in reference to a paragraph and actually thinks that it's not pathetically laughable.

HEY DUMB FUCK. EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE. People who try to invoke "well that's just subjective" in arguments about movies--particularly preposterous topic even though it's just as much so for every topic in existence--are waving a big flag that reads "I have no idea what I'm talking about." Please try and find me an example of one thing, anything, in this whole wide world that you could possibly discuss and have it NOT be subjective.

(HINT: perhaps you should study some philosophy first before you answer. Cause they figured this one out like 5 fucking centuries ago, you pompous shitbag)

BTW--the word "denouement" is a term that applies only to the last act of a plot. You cannot use it in reference to a sentence, or an argument, or a paragraph, or anything but the last act of a play or script. Clearly, you're well versed in film. Clearly.

thelastgreatman
03-09-2008, 05:06 PM
I didn't mention Raising Arizona or Big Lebowski, did I? But then I don't view either as send ups to Preston Sturges.

As for the first year film course book, please. Not everybody takes film classes to get their opinions on movies. Some of us do our own legwork...

I was just mainly responding to the idea that they were putting a twist on the romantic comedy genre. I don't think they really were. I think it's probably a stretch to consider Intolerable Cruelty anything but mild diversion. I think you're sipping the fanboy kool aid if you do. But then I don't really have a problem with that as long as you're up front about it.

Holy shit, what the fuck is this bizarre interpretation you've concocted of what I wrote? Intolerable Cruelty is decent for what it is. That's all I said. Know what it is? A shitty romantic comedy, like all romantic comedies. Like Preston Sturgess's movies were too. And as that, it did a decent job. That's all I ever fucking said, play the tape where I heaping anything resembling praise on it.

Some of us do do our own legwork. You, however, I guarantee took at least a film class or two, probably at a non-arts school which would explain why you're familiar with film history but not the principles of story structure. Leave me alone now, you picked a fight about something I didn't even say. Shut up please.

dudezer47
03-09-2008, 05:09 PM
I've argued on this board more than you could possibly fathom and I'm tired of it. And I'll be goddamned if I bother to waste my time with someone who uses the phrase "subjective denouement" in reference to a paragraph and actually thinks that it's not pathetically laughable.

HEY DUMB FUCK. EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE. People who try to invoke "well that's just subjective" in arguments about movies--particularly preposterous topic even though it's just as much so for every topic in existence--are waving a big flag that reads "I have no idea what I'm talking about." Please try and find me an example of one thing, anything, in this whole wide world that you could possibly discuss and have it NOT be subjective.

(HINT: perhaps you should study some philosophy first before you answer. Cause they figured this one out like 5 fucking centuries ago, you pompous shitbag)

BTW--the word "denouement" is a term that applies only to the last act of a plot. You cannot use it in reference to a sentence, or an argument, or a paragraph, or anything but the last act of a play or script. Clearly, you're well versed in film. Clearly.

I'm so glad you've come down from your mountain to bless me with your arguments for low these few precious moments of my heretofore meaningless life. I guess I should just go kill myself now because clearly you have proven that you are a superior human being by acting like a complete and utter asshole all the time.

Less attitude. More opinion please. Otherwise, I'll just know to leave you alone atop your mountain of Nirvana enlightenment...

dudezer47
03-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Holy shit, what the fuck is this bizarre interpretation you've concocted of what I wrote? Intolerable Cruelty is decent for what it is. That's all I said. Know what it is? A shitty romantic comedy, like all romantic comedies. Like Preston Sturgess's movies were too. And as that, it did a decent job. That's all I ever fucking said, play the tape where I heaping anything resembling praise on it.

And all I ever said was that the Coen Brothers worship at the alter of Preston Sturges. Pretty well documented. You know it. I know it. I don't really know why you ever really got worked up about it. I don't think there's really any point in bringing the argument over my list of overrated movies into this discussion. Intolerable Cruelty isn't really worth it one way or another...

Some of us do do our own legwork. You, however, I guarantee took at least a film class or two, probably at a non-arts school which would explain why you're familiar with film history but not the principles of story structure. Leave me alone now, you picked a fight about something I didn't even say. Shut up please.

And now we're just making up stuff about people we don't know to feel better about ourselves I assume. I really hope you don't wrap up as much of your self worth in movie knowledge as you come across as doing...

thelastgreatman
03-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Altar. Not alter. Come worship at the altar of the denouement of the ignore function.

BlackSwan
03-13-2008, 11:50 AM
randy you are spending way too much time and effort arguing with someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

Failed State
03-13-2008, 12:27 PM
i fuck kids; the girls of cunt road 4. that one sucked on dog dick

thelastgreatman
03-13-2008, 12:29 PM
.... well that's some ignore and a half.

TonyWonder
03-13-2008, 03:27 PM
How do I get this dumbfuck on ignore?

Not you LGM, the douche above you.

thelastgreatman
03-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Click on his username, then on the right hand side at the bottom of the upper table there's a link to add him to your ignore list.

amyzzz
03-13-2008, 03:48 PM
300 and Beowulf.

gratytrainridesagain
03-13-2008, 03:53 PM
The Lord of the Rings trilogy I enjoy them but they were not the second coming like all the turbo nerds claimed them to be and Serenity falls in this category as well

Cancersticks1
03-13-2008, 03:53 PM
300 and Beowulf.

goddamn seriously. 300 made me so angry.

thelastgreatman
03-13-2008, 04:04 PM
The Lord of the Rings trilogy I enjoy them but they were not the second coming like all the turbo nerds claimed them to be and Serenity falls in this category as well

Please don't include Serenity, which is a perfectly good film, in with those unbelievable pieces of shit.

gratytrainridesagain
03-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Serenity is a good film I was just saying it is really overrated

thelastgreatman
03-13-2008, 04:09 PM
By who? It doesn't get a whole lot of praise. It's just one of the better sci-fi flicks of recent years. And the real reason it gets praise is because the TV show it was adapted from actually IS one of the best things ever.

Cancersticks1
03-13-2008, 04:13 PM
I hate how many people saw Serenity and never saw the show. Then when I convince them to watch Firefly they keep asking "why isn't River just kicking everyones ass?" So annoying

gratytrainridesagain
03-13-2008, 04:14 PM
It's really overrated by almost anyone who enjoys Sci-Fi which is a lot of my friends, and my dad. Around the intenet it was getting hyped as the best Sci-Fi movie ever and sorry it's not. Good film but not worthy of the amount of praise it gets.

M Sparks
03-13-2008, 04:16 PM
It's just a simple juxtaposition thrown onto pretty standard romantic comedy tentpoles. Is it really that different than, say, You've Got Mail?

Good point, good point...although the primary difference would be quality.

I love The Shop Around The Corner, corny as it is. I try to watch it every winter. You've Got Mail is technically a remake, but they still bear no resemblence to each other, because, well, The Shop around The Corner is good. Thats all that really matters.

For me, a "standard romantic comedy" is one that sucks...that's the standard. If you can inject a bit of entertainment and creativity, I'll probably enjoy it at least once- even if the foundation is creaky.

thelastgreatman
03-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Around the internet? Like what, the IMDB boards? The show it was based on is better sci-fi than Star Wars. That's why people were expecting it.

gratytrainridesagain
03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Star Wars (originals) were still better. Look it's a great movie I just think it was overrated.

amyzzz
03-13-2008, 04:22 PM
I like You've Got Mail--probably because Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks are adorable together.

And yes, I am a nerd who adores the entire LOTR trilogy. The books are really hard to read, so I'm grateful for Peter Jackson's brilliant translation of the whole LOTR series.

Serenity is a decent movie. The entire Firefly series is amazing.

thelastgreatman
03-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Star Wars (originals) were still better. Look it's a great movie I just think it was overrated.

It's a good movie. It's not great. Firefly was great. (and I amend my earlier comment to exclude the fact that Empire is one of the ten best movies of all time, but otherwise that show destroyed the trilogy)

gratytrainridesagain
03-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Firefly was great. As far as Sci-Fi is concerned nothing will ever come close to 2001 or Bladerunner those are untouchable. I guess that's where this all came from cause I was discussing Serenity with someone last night and they tried to say it was the greatest Sci-Fi movie ever.

Cancersticks1
03-13-2008, 04:30 PM
It's a good movie. It's not great. Firefly was great. (and I amend my earlier comment to exclude the fact that Empire is one of the ten best movies of all time, but otherwise that show destroyed the trilogy)

When you say that do you mean best in general, or your favorite? And what exactly do you consider the definitive top ten movies of all time?

thelastgreatman
03-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Pulp Fiction and Trainspotting are tied for 1st/2nd.
City Of God and Citizen Kane are tied for 3rd/4th.
After that the order becomes not terribly specific...
Clockwork Orange, a tough choice if we're trying to limit Kubrick to just one entry.
Apocalypse Now
The Godfather (cliche, but for good reason)
now I like to dip into some unusual choices...
The Princess Bride
Rocky Horror
Empire Strikes Back
and the tenth spot could go to so many: Cool Hand Luke; Full Metal Jacket; The Shining; Strangelove; Fight Club (yes, it IS up there); Rashomon; Kill Bill Vol. 1; going with a comedy you have to contend with Ghostbusters vs. Blazing Saddles; the Coens deserve mention and No Country is definitely their best, but wouldn't make the top ten; Jaws; Network... eh, that's more or less it.

Cancersticks1
03-23-2008, 08:16 AM
heh. your "unusual choices" pretty much started my list. I agree with most of those.

In no particular order:

Back To The Future
Monty Python & The Holy Grail
Rocky Horror
Princess Bride
Empire Strikes Back
Ghostbusters
Amadeus
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
A Nightmare On Elm St
Beetlejuice

sbessiso
03-23-2008, 09:51 AM
that list hurts cancersticks

Cancersticks1
03-23-2008, 09:57 AM
that list hurts cancersticks

hurts so good?

sbessiso
03-23-2008, 10:01 AM
heh. your "unusual choices" pretty much started my list. I agree with most of those.

In no particular order:

Back To The Future
Monty Python & The Holy Grail
Rocky Horror
Princess Bride
Empire Strikes Back
Ghostbusters
Amadeus
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
A Nightmare On Elm St
Beetlejuice

these films are fucking classics...rocky horror? if anything, its STILL underrated

rage patton
03-23-2008, 10:12 AM
How can you say the Princess Bride is overrated? I love that movie.

Cancersticks1
03-23-2008, 10:13 AM
I should specify that that list isn't my personal favorite movies (though it's similar) but what i consider to be the best movies overall. Rewatchability is a major factor in my choosing. the usual criteria are all valid but I consider a movie truely great if I never get tired of watching it.

Cancersticks1
03-23-2008, 10:15 AM
oooooh, no no! i wasn't referring to the "overrated topic" lastgreatman and i were discussing what we considered the "best movies." sorry.

sbessiso
03-23-2008, 10:15 AM
i've lost count how many times i've seen those movies in your list (the ones in bold)

so those movies are on your "good" list, not your "overrated" list?

thelastgreatman
03-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Yes, the "favorite movie" list is different, and it's top-heavy with Bill Murray and Mel Brooks. Ghostbusters and Caddyshack are definitely the top two on that list.

BTW, good call on Beetlejuice, I fucking knew I was forgetting something important from the late 80s. I'd throw that in the 10 spot without hesitation, fuck it. That's a nicely rounded list.

thelastgreatman
03-23-2008, 12:38 PM
No, those aren't just the good movies, that's the list of the best movies of all time. In theory, the ten best, but only the first five to seven or so are undoubtable truths, the others might be interchangable with entries on that longer list.

boredofcanada
03-24-2008, 05:38 PM
donny darko is severely overrated. why isn't it on that list?

C DUB YA
03-24-2008, 08:12 PM
I'll also go with Donnie Darko.

thelastgreatman
03-24-2008, 08:14 PM
It's LOTR, easily. All fucking three.

iv3rdawG
03-24-2008, 08:16 PM

Agreed. Also, Donnie Darko and Garden State.

sbessiso
03-25-2008, 06:01 AM

Agreed. Also, Donnie Darko and Garden State.

just shhhhhhh

thelastgreatman
03-25-2008, 06:04 AM
Donnie Darko's a perfectly good movie. Garden State was meh, but it didn't win 7 or 9 or however many fucking Oscars LOTR did and I'd definitely rather watch it than any of those three again.

thestripe
03-25-2008, 06:17 AM
Titanic is the most overrated movie ever. It sucked giant balls and still won best picture and director. It raked in insane cash at the box office despite being one of the corniest/serious movies ever. I would take little Frodo out to makeout point before a repeated viewing of Titanic.

thelastgreatman
03-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Titanic was an epic romance--what can you expect? It won a ton of Oscars because it was a throwback to older filmmaking and the Academy is dominated by old farts. It made a lot of money because of young girls.

They only made fucking ONE of it, though.

Cancersticks1
03-25-2008, 06:56 AM
Oh my god, I wish they had made Titanic 2.

thestripe
03-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Frodo and the gang running ship.

Cancersticks1
03-25-2008, 07:00 AM
oh wait, nevermind.

http://www.impawards.com/2002/posters/ghost_ship.jpg

amyzzz
03-26-2008, 01:59 PM
I loved Titanic when it came out. I admit that I was one of those girls who saw it several times (I saw it for free though because I worked at a movie theatre).

Astrid
04-02-2008, 08:01 PM
LGM why on earth do you think crash is a great film?

i dont particularly want to have a lengthy argument about it...but i would really like a legitimate reason from anyone why that movie isnt utter shit.

roberto73
04-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Reading the Rocky Horror Picture Show thread today reminded me that that is clearly the most overrated movie ever.

stuporfly
04-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Where's the option to vote for Napoleon Dynamite?

bullokz
04-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Titanic

woogie846
12-15-2008, 11:03 PM
The Birds

Donaldj
12-15-2008, 11:10 PM
I was severely let down by Pan’s Labyrinth.

breakjaw
12-16-2008, 01:05 AM
The Birds
Yep.

Nope.

Also may I add "My Own Private Idaho" and IMO the worst Best Picture of the last 15 years (including "Titanic") "Crash"?

coldstart
12-16-2008, 02:26 AM

Yeah, me too! Especially when a lot of my friends liked it and I can usually trust their movie opinions.

stephen22
12-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Pulp Fiction
LOTR

BlackSwan
12-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Where's the option to vote for Napoleon Dynamite?

There should be one.

Wall-E was/is overrated.

coldstart
12-20-2008, 01:11 AM
Pulp Fiction
LOTR

Pulp Fiction? Really?

fasttrack
12-20-2008, 02:47 AM
i voted garden state.
it's as if zach braff set out to make a cliche indie movie.

indie bands on the soundtrack (namely the shins) - check he even incorporated the name of the band into the script.

cheesy, deep quotes - check

i hate this movie.

coldstart
12-20-2008, 03:36 AM
Awww, I liked Garden State. And at least it did have a good soundtrack which is more than a lot of movies can say these days.

coolhandluke
12-22-2008, 11:14 AM
For the people who said 2001 A Space Odessy and Pulp Fiction should just die. in a fire.

carmawerx
12-23-2008, 11:40 PM
The Day the Earth Stood Still.

*yawns*

woogie846
12-23-2008, 11:50 PM
The Day the Earth Stood Still.

*yawns*

Is it getting that much praise? Because if it's not, then it can't really be overrated.

carmawerx
12-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Well jus going off th' first weeks review and before the release.

garrett222
01-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Why in the fuck would you even put Fight Club and Reservoir Dogs on here? Jesus Christ, you have worse taste in movies than your fucking namesake.

Agreed.

thatfinkleygirl
01-20-2009, 10:41 AM
indeed. fight club and reservoir dogs are anything but overrated.
i'd say juno is easily the most overrated film of the bunch

boarderwoozel3
01-20-2009, 11:32 AM
I like the way you think finkleygirl--when it comes to films anyway.

garrett222
01-20-2009, 12:00 PM

LOLZ

and another internet love story begins...

thatfinkleygirl
01-20-2009, 01:24 PM

hey, thanks. i appreciate your approval. :)

LOLZ

and another internet love story begins...

ha ha ha.

thatfinkleygirl
01-23-2009, 08:09 PM
The Big Lebowski

FALSE.

thedevious
01-28-2009, 02:54 AM
indeed. fight club and reservoir dogs are anything but overrated.
i'd say juno is easily the most overrated film of the bunch

qft

Juno wasn't merely over hyped, it was godawful.

coldstart
01-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Nailin' Palin.

Stefania
01-28-2009, 09:24 PM
The Big Lebowski

OVER THE LINE!!!

thatfinkleygirl
01-28-2009, 09:28 PM
^^ahahahah YES !!!

Goodtoknow
01-29-2009, 11:48 PM
qft

Juno wasn't merely over hyped, it was godawful.

Juno was absolutely putrid.

BKsaysAction!
03-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Napoleon Dynamite is by for the most overrated movie i've ever seen. The people that quoted that movie drove me nuts. I'll also add The Watchmen
I picked Boondock saints, I could not stand the brothers italian friend with the long hair, He should have died waay earlier. It's not even that good of a film. The guy who made the movie is a complete moron and an asshole with a gaping ego. See the film Overnight and you'll know what i'm talking about.

chacamicaca
03-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Has anybody mentioned 300 yet? Boy was that a piece of asscaca.

sportsbunny
03-18-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm going to go with:

The English Patient is the only movie I've ever walked out of. I absolutely hated it. But Fight Club is one of my favorites.

MeowMixer
04-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Has anybody mentioned 300 yet? Boy was that a piece of asscaca.

THANK YOU.

PotVsKtl
04-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Way to find vindication in the distant past.

Gribbz
04-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Boondock Saints is like the Citizen Kane for frat boys.

Goodtoknow
04-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Boondock Saints is like the Citizen Kane for frat boys.

Hahahahahahaha. I hated Watchmen but it still is not even remotely near as overrated as Juno. Terrible terrible terrible.

Gribbz
04-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Juno was just awful.

Goodtoknow
04-12-2009, 01:07 AM
I nominate Blue Streak as the most underrated movie of all time.

Gribbz
04-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Ernest Goes to Jail is clearly the most underrated.

Goodtoknow
04-12-2009, 08:40 PM
That is not a bad recommendation.

TallGuyCM
04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
I voted "other." GLADIATOR is the most overrated movie ever.

Braveheart in a coliseum? Pretty much sums it up.

Goodtoknow
04-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I voted "other." GLADIATOR is the most overrated movie ever.

Braveheart in a coliseum? Pretty much sums it up.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh completely disagree! That is one of my favorite Ridley Scott pics.

heyeric
04-12-2009, 09:04 PM
TITANIC, hah.

Still-ill
04-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Wow I don't understand the Juno hating but what ever... and why the hell is "The Boondock Saints" not winning. That was the most awful film I've ever had to sit through.

sfx monger
04-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Other: Napoleon Dynamite

MeowMixer
04-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Other: Napoleon Dynamite

Napoleon Dynamite was creative.

sfx monger
04-13-2009, 08:12 PM
creative yes. didn't say it was bad, just overrated

MeowMixer
04-13-2009, 08:16 PM
i c

familyguy420
04-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I love garden state and I hate you guys!

one2fast
04-13-2009, 08:46 PM
how bout the godfather?

edbangme
06-23-2010, 05:22 AM
boondock saints was retarded, and the obvious winner. why resevoir dogs?

juloxx
06-23-2010, 05:35 AM
Seriously, I never got why anyone loved Boondock Saints. The action isn't even good.

I don't know if Avatar is considered over-rated, but seeing as its the top grossing movie bla bla I think that belongs on this list.

lunatic core
06-23-2010, 05:53 AM
I vote Borat. It was easy to quote and odd, but not amazingly funny. Kinda dull and flat at certain spots.
Jackass 2 came out the same year and was SO much funnier.

wscmx13
06-23-2010, 09:52 AM
titanic is the most boring movie ever

PapaDill
02-15-2011, 12:13 AM
People love boondock saints... I don't get it

Bonovan
02-17-2011, 01:17 AM
The Big Lebowski

stfu Donny

cjamesgo8421
02-21-2011, 07:21 PM