PDA

View Full Version : Who still buys cds?

instinct
02-20-2008, 08:08 PM
I'll be honest and admit I haven't bought cds in YEARS (probably like 8).. Maybe one or two here and there.. but I NEVER buy cds.. sometimes vinyl. I was just reading the Ameoba records thread and was amazed people still buy them, they only reason i'd go there for is the vinyl.

C DUB YA
02-20-2008, 08:11 PM
I always have and ALWAYS will, cuz I like music to stick around, and (illegal) downloading promotes it not sticking around as much, and that's bad, mmmm k.

instinct
02-20-2008, 08:17 PM
fuck that shit.. i've been downloading illegal music since 97 and music is still around!!

lowfront
02-20-2008, 08:20 PM
cd's are dead

artists don't make shit on albums sales anyways, future of music is that it will be free, no more record labels, artists get all the money from touring.

use the music to promote the show, fuck the record labels.

Buy a ticket and a T-shirt instead

woogie846
02-20-2008, 08:24 PM
That's just about all I buy, I like having a physical copy in my hand.

C DUB YA
02-20-2008, 08:24 PM
fuck that shit.. i've been downloading illegal music since 97 and music is still around!!

Yeah still around like Sire, Rough Trade, Creation, Waxtrax, 4Ad, Independente, and as of yesterday... TVT...

oh and the bands you rip off (small and big alike) thank you I'm sure.

I really don't want to argue about this, there are no right answers for either side of the downloading issue.

€uroMeinke
02-20-2008, 08:27 PM
I still buy, but mostly used CDS - so legal, but no bodies getting any royalty checks from me. They still get paid when I see them live.

C DUB YA
02-20-2008, 08:27 PM
cd's are dead

artists don't make shit on albums sales anyways, future of music is that it will be free, no more record labels, artists get all the money from touring.

or better yet, buy all 3.

and if that is the future (your future) of music then it is bleaker than I thought it could be.

instinct
02-20-2008, 08:29 PM
fuck it.. just steal that shit yo!

C DUB YA
02-20-2008, 08:29 PM
fuck it.. just steal that shit yo!

Reeeael nice.

kreutz2112
02-20-2008, 08:31 PM
so if record companies aren't around, bands aren't going to make music? I highly doubt that.

MarkO
02-20-2008, 08:32 PM
I always have and ALWAYS will, cuz I like music to stick around, and (illegal) downloading promotes it not sticking around as much, and that's bad, mmmm k.

My sentiments exactly.

TonyWonder
02-20-2008, 08:32 PM
I buy about one or two a week, half new and half used mostly through Amazon. I have to stay away from Half Price Books or I'll blow at least fifty bucks on CDs every time.

kreutz2112
02-20-2008, 08:33 PM

what are you going to do when they don't make cds anymore?

instinct
02-20-2008, 08:33 PM
you niggaz must be rich or some shit.

chiapet
02-20-2008, 08:36 PM
I usually 'sample' for free first, but still buy a lot of them. I like having the physical copies.

Memorial_07
02-20-2008, 08:37 PM
why not buy cd's?
i'd rather that than fuck my whole computer up by downloading limewire

instinct
02-20-2008, 08:41 PM
why not buy cd's?
i'd rather that than fuck my whole computer up by downloading limewire

Are you people retarded? Limewire sucks.. It was never good..

SLSK is where the p2p is at.. if not, then a good torrent site.. fuck i can't believe people still waste their time with that shit.

kreutz2112
02-20-2008, 08:43 PM
emule and amule are also good.

C DUB YA
02-20-2008, 08:43 PM
what are you going to do when they don't make cds anymore?

cry. but seriously i doubt that will happen fo a very very long time. besides there is always vinyl, which is even better.

lowfront
02-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Record companies were needed to promote and distribute albums....

now you don't need this

a band without any overhead required can take their album and have millions of fans hear it in a matter of a day if they post it online.

independent artists will be the norm

and as far as downloading music

Trancetraffic, What, Waffles, E***o, Padros, indietorrents

are the best sources

chiapet
02-20-2008, 08:47 PM
slsk is the most incredible collection of crap music ever assembled by self-appointed music snobs. I tried many times and could really never much I wanted that I didn't already have.

instinct
02-20-2008, 08:50 PM
We had some fucking PR dude from Def Jam to come to our class and he was saying how we need to start buying cds or our music again, or else it's the end of the music industry. He was also saying that a lot of people are just flaunting their money, and they don't really have as much as they say, and some huge artists are making only like $100,000 a year.. I doubt that shit.. People will never want to stop making music. Bands will go into a studio that they rent out.. Record their songs.. Release it online.. Music is not going to stop with the record companies.. Sure people will lose their jobs, but some jobs were not meant to stick around forever. My cousin is a millionaire, and most of that is from touring, her mom (my aunt) was telling us how she only makes a couple pennies from each CD.

instinct
02-20-2008, 08:51 PM
slsk is the most incredible collection of crap music ever assembled by self-appointed music snobs. I tried many times and could really never much I wanted that I didn't already have.

What else did you want? Slsk only has what the users have.. and for the most part.. it's waaaaaaaaaaay better than any other P2P program.

comedeysal
02-20-2008, 08:57 PM
yeee, if im gonna buy anything it's usually vinyl. cds are no fun!

MarkO
02-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Record companies were needed to promote and distribute albums....

now you don't need this

a band without any overhead required can take their album and have millions of fans hear it in a matter of a day if they post it online.

independent artists will be the norm

and as far as downloading music

Trancetraffic, What, Waffles, E***o, Padros, indietorrents

are the best sources

Record co's aren't 'needed', that is true but it's laughable to think that a new or smaller band can throw an album up on a website and 'have millions of fans hear it in a matter of a day'. Touring takes money, sometimes quite a bit and that has to come from somewhere.

roberto73
02-20-2008, 09:06 PM

You shouldn't imply that all downloading is illegal. I haven't bought a new domestic CD in nearly three years, but I download unholy amounts of music from iTunes, eMusic, and Amazon. The amount of money I pour into those three outlets compensates for at least two or three illegal downloaders. I do still buy new import CD's and old used CD's from Amoeba and eBay, but in general it's cheaper and easier to download.

jazzz
02-20-2008, 09:07 PM
I will always buy the cd or record cos' I think downloads are boring... I like having the hard copy so I can see who produce it or who played on it where it was recorded etc. I probaly spend 150-200 monthly...

C DUB YA
02-20-2008, 09:10 PM
You shouldn't imply that all downloading is illegal. I haven't bought a new domestic CD in nearly three years, but I download unholy amounts of music from iTunes, eMusic, and Amazon. The amount of money I pour into those three outlets compensates for at least two or three illegal downloaders. I do still buy new import CD's and old used CD's from Amoeba and eBay, but in general it's cheaper and easier to download.

true - legal downloading I have no problem with - although I still find it hollow as a empty beer bottle. Don't forget what Oscar Wilde said about thing that come cheap and easy...

kreutz2112
02-20-2008, 09:11 PM
I will always buy the cd or record cos' I think downloads are boring... I like having the hard copy so I can see who produce it or who played on it where it was recorded etc. I probaly spend 150-200 monthly...

cool. what else do you like about cds?

lowfront
02-20-2008, 09:15 PM

If your on a decent tracker there is a lot of album scans. So you can get that info without needing to feed the pockets of slime riaa

jimmycrackcorn
02-20-2008, 09:16 PM
<still buy cd's
:2c

jazzz
02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
If your on a decent tracker there is a lot of album scans. So you can get that info without needing to feed the pockets of slime riaa

most the stuff I buy doesn't come from a major label... and I can't be bothered printing the album info when I can have the cd or album stored into my music room which is my pride and joy. I also enjoy going to the shops or searching online for stuff I can't find in the shops.

kreutz2112
02-20-2008, 09:36 PM
so who do you listen to?

C DUB YA
02-20-2008, 09:41 PM
most the stuff I buy doesn't come from a major label... and I can't be bothered printing the album info when I can have the cd or album stored into my music room which is my pride and joy. I also enjoy going to the shops or searching online for stuff I can't find in the shops.

same here - sure I buy major label stuff - but buy just as much indie, for example - a label like MERGE, I don't care who you are, you should support them.

jazzz
02-20-2008, 10:14 PM
so who do you listen to?

all kinds of stuff from Psychic Tv to Japan... I like record labels "Soul Jazz"
"BPITCH CONTROL" "Get Physical" "Samadhisound" "Hospital" "Breakbeat Science" to name a few

Daft Fro
02-20-2008, 10:14 PM
cd's are dead

QFT

Buying music makes you biased and inclined to trick you into thinking that most of the CDs you are "paying" for, are actually good. Where "paying", being how much an invidivual is sacrificing money$/percentage wise obviously.

No one wants to believe they wasted their time/money/energy on shite music.

The philosophies behind Music and Money do not mix well.

Present us with what you have created. If people like it, they will be @ the show.

traviscanada
02-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Ya I still buy cds, gets damn expensive but I too like having the physical album.

jazzz
02-20-2008, 10:23 PM
same here - sure I buy major label stuff - but buy just as much indie, for example - a label like MERGE, I don't care who you are, you should support them.

I agree... I guess some people like us like to have a collection rather then downloads in a computer. I know a lot of people who are fine with that format but I always have enjoyed going to the shops.

gratytrainridesagain
02-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Download then if I like it enough I'll buy the cd just cause I like having the physical copy. Also can read the lyrics, look at the artwork I know I can do this online, but it doesn't have the same feel.

C DUB YA
02-21-2008, 06:07 AM
You're right, it doesn't have the same feel at all. Maybe those who like to illegal download, have never gotten the same joy from a record, in fact I don't see how they can. Then again maybe I've watched Almost Famous too many times.

I also think this sliming of record company folk, is a bit ludacris. Sure they got rich and gouged us for years, but most of that came from the ill-informed buying their N Sync cds at a mall record store, something I've never done. Just because there is a choice in how we get music doesn't make the older way evil.

Most downloaders talk about the evils of the big record comapies.... its as if they put people like Ahmet Ertegun, Johnny Mercer and even Jonathan Poneman in the same boat with oil tycoons and Enron execs.

That's kinda dumb.

Those people, even if they are richer than God, brought (and still bring) the world a shitload of great music, some music which might not have even been heard, who knows. Would Led Zep be playing a tribute to Ahmet if he didn't have the foresight to give them a deal, maybe without Johnny Mercer's marketing savy we wouldn't have gotten The Beatles. Just sayin.

SFChrissy
02-21-2008, 08:43 AM
I buy and always will...something 'bout peeling the cellophane off a cd/records, taking it out of the jacket and putting it in for play!!!

instinct
02-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I spent $0 on cds last year.. but if cds lowered their prices to like $4 a cd.. I probably would have spent like $200.. Just my 2 cents.

el chango
02-21-2008, 12:31 PM
I still buy some cds, but I mainly download albums from legal sources like iTunes or Emusic... wonder what will happen if Qtrax ever starts to work...

el chango
02-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Who in here downloaded In Rainbows and paid for it? Call me dumb but I did (paid like $7)

sbessiso
02-21-2008, 12:40 PM
with my starbucks discount, i cant help but not buy cds

Todfilm
02-21-2008, 12:46 PM
I buy CD's cause I am an old fogey and refuse to change. But then, I usually buy them used and rarely pay more than $10-12 for a CD. I went to an FYE store because they had a ticketmaster outlet. I was shocked to see that they priced their CD's at $18-20 each! No wonder the store was empty.

The only problem with your theory is that the less people buy good music, the more the music industry is gonna focus on crap like Hannah Montana and Jack Johnson. Because people who buy tons of CD's are usually little girls, soccer moms or frat boys, means that crap like that becomes the number one selling album in the country. That means that good bands that actually make music that people like won't sell a ton of records. But then again, it seems like that has already happened. If you look at the top 50 songs on the billboard chart, there aren't a lot of bands on there. It's mostly corporate rap and stuff like JJ or Hannah Montana.

sonofhal
02-25-2008, 12:14 AM
I spent $0 on cds last year.. but if cds lowered their prices to like $4 a cd.. I probably would have spent like $200.. Just my 2 cents.

This just proves how little you value music.

NicoDread
02-25-2008, 08:10 AM

No, CD's are damn expensive and I don't have the money to buy them.

C DUB YA
02-25-2008, 08:30 AM
If CD's are expensive (???) to you then you have other priorities to attend to than trying get music for free.

fikus222
02-25-2008, 10:50 AM
I like to have a hard copy to put my hands on, the cd has soul.

fiopadp7791
02-25-2008, 07:28 PM
I buy CD's cause I am an old fogey and refuse to change. But then, I usually buy them used and rarely pay more than $10-12 for a CD. I went to an FYE store because they had a ticketmaster outlet. I was shocked to see that they priced their CD's at $18-20 each! No wonder the store was empty.

The only problem with your theory is that the less people buy good music, the more the music industry is gonna focus on crap like Hannah Montana and Jack Johnson. Because people who buy tons of CD's are usually little girls, soccer moms or frat boys, means that crap like that becomes the number one selling album in the country. That means that good bands that actually make music that people like won't sell a ton of records. But then again, it seems like that has already happened. If you look at the top 50 songs on the billboard chart, there aren't a lot of bands on there. It's mostly corporate rap and stuff like JJ or Hannah Montana.

Amen brotha on both paragraphs... For me, I buy cds, because I feel like I have too much invested in the millios I have, and have been stubborn to switch. I always seem to find something better to spend $300 on than an ipod jacked full of memory. I have done some downloading in the past, mainyl from napster and kazaa when those 2 were the "in" downloading sites. But not much in the last few years. I mainly downloaded songs for mix cds, not whole albums.

jonnypark
02-25-2008, 08:27 PM
I am buying them less and less, and have been moving to illegal downloads to support my ever worsening vinyl addiction

instinct
02-26-2008, 01:50 AM

or maybe i am just a broke ass mofo?

jazzz
02-26-2008, 02:31 AM
or maybe i am just a broke ass mofo?

OR if you view music that way either your cheap or a loser...

alex97
02-26-2008, 09:13 AM
or better yet, buy all 3.
and if that is the future (your future) of music then it is bleaker than I thought it could be.

i do! i do! cd/ticket/tshirt.. sometimes even dvd :thu

supporting the bands i love :pulse

C DUB YA
02-26-2008, 11:45 AM
I love you

sbessiso
02-26-2008, 12:40 PM
i recently stole a couple cd's from starbucks, i know im a terrible person, one of my coworkers is a bad influence. i couldtn help myself

Derekx
02-26-2008, 12:42 PM
It depends how much I like the artist.

paulb
02-26-2008, 12:47 PM
I download most of my stuff, buy about 2 cds a year maybe...in 2007 the only cds i bought were Justice Cross, Beastie Boys, The Mix Up, REM Live....thats all I can remember, but ya, I have a few artists I support and will buy whatever format to support them, but there isnt any point in paying 14 bucks or whatever for a cd of an artist you're taking a risk on, might as well download it, and skip out on finding out if u made a bad purchase or not.

sbessiso
02-26-2008, 12:55 PM
that REM live cd is pretty fucking good, and i dont have the patience for the mix-up

dropbeats
02-26-2008, 01:44 PM
I work at a Cd store so I buy them all the time. I think i've got over 250 now

Silent Shout
02-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Is the best way to show the support you have for a certain artist, and obviously to show your passion for music, say no to illegal downloading! :thu

Sonicifyouwantit
02-26-2008, 02:51 PM
If I'm going to buy an album I buy vinyl. Sometmes you get free download codes in the album cover, or I just download. I recently sold all of my cds since I have them backed up on two harddrives and one of my friends...60000 tracks and growing. who has room for cds? Not I.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Is the best way to show the support you have for a certain artist, and obviously to show your passion for music, say no to illegal downloading! :thu

best way to show support is to see the band live and buy tshirts, they get a larger percentage on live shows than on cd sales.

instinct
02-27-2008, 01:19 AM
best way to show support is to see the band live and buy tshirts, they get a larger percentage on live shows than on cd sales.

:)

Sorry.. I don't spend any of my money on cds.. but i spend hundreds on concerts every year.. either way.. they are getting my money.

instinct
02-27-2008, 01:20 AM
OR if you view music that way either your cheap or a loser...

Nah, I'm definitely cheap.. My girlfriend could tell you that.

Silent Shout
02-27-2008, 07:13 AM

Yeah but in my case, I cannot afford to travel that often to catch live shows, so buying records and merchandise is my way to show support, we rarely get some good shows on this area, which makes it more complicated..

Cheddar's Cousin
02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
I buy cds because I am old, and I can't comprehend the notion of owning something and not being able to hold it. I enjoy actual , physical packaging and artwork. I still buy vinyl on occasion too.

noisemachine
02-27-2008, 01:05 PM
I buy CDs, but only when I can get them at a decent price. I generally refuse to spend more than $10-$12 on a CD unless its something really special. I don't think CDs should cost any more than $10 anywhere.

MarkO
03-08-2008, 07:58 AM

Hard to buy tees when a lot of bands don't stock bigger than an L; Helio Sequence last night, I'm looking in your direction.

braxtron
04-01-2008, 10:10 PM
I only buy vinyl...

C DUB YA
04-01-2008, 10:16 PM
6000+ cds
1500 LPs

boarderwoozel3
04-01-2008, 10:31 PM
I buy CDs, but only when I can get them at a decent price. I generally refuse to spend more than $10-$12 on a CD unless its something really special. I don't think CDs should cost any more than $10 anywhere.

Yeah. I buy a ton of used CDs. They're usually $3-$7 which is way more manageable than $20 or whatever for a new one. I only buy new CDs if its a must have or a good deal.

mattpach
04-01-2008, 11:28 PM
I buy CDs only because I have gone through like 7 laptops(they were all cheap and in constant use condisering we didnt have a desktop) in like 3 years and keep losing all my music. So at least this way i have everything on CD

higgybaby23
04-02-2008, 09:01 AM
I mostly buy vinyl, but sometimes it's easier to pick up something on CD. (Especially if it's used)

greghead
04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Mostly cd's. I have over 1,000. I like having a hard copy that I can look at and hold and keep.

stuporfly
04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
My CD purchasing has dropped considerably, though it has less to do with downloading and more to do with having to adjust my budget for a variety of reasons.

mvanwinkle
04-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I have never dowloaded music. ever.

mr powerful
04-09-2008, 01:58 AM
cool. what else do you like about cds?

I like that I can use them as a mirror iN case of an emergency.

clecirclecir@juno.com
04-10-2008, 01:57 AM
I support specific favorite artists by all means possible...
otherwise i download albums and if i like them enough i buy the hard copy later for various already listed reasons.
if i don't they get deleted or sent to the external drive for a later listen.

jonnypark
05-19-2008, 09:26 PM
My current financial situation requires me to illegally download most of my music.

marooko
05-19-2008, 09:47 PM
what? cd's?

Edmontonian
05-20-2008, 01:21 PM
vinyl or bust... literally. I quit cds when I realized they don't last more than a few years if you listen to them often...

MarkO
06-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Orly ?? I've had some of my cd's for going on 17yrs now. No problems with any of them.

C DUB YA
06-24-2008, 10:59 AM
vinyl or bust... literally. I quit cds when I realized they don't last more than a few years if you listen to them often...

Um - this is completely untrue - I still have my first CD that I bought in 86, sounds exactly the same, i've listened to it countless times.

woogie846
06-24-2008, 11:24 AM

No way, I have some really, really old cds that sound just the same as they did when I bought them.

BlackSwan
06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
i haven't bought a CD in years, but i spend an excessive amount of money on tickets so it evens out.

yea, if you scratch the shit out of them.

thinnerair
06-24-2008, 05:22 PM
i buy a cd from time to time.

JustSteve
06-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Hard to buy tees when a lot of bands don't stock bigger than an L; Helio Sequence last night, I'm looking in your direction.

bands do that because they don't want overweight people wearing their shirts, only skinny scene kids who will uphold the band's image...

MarkO
06-24-2008, 06:14 PM
lol, ok then ....

:shakes head not knowing if you're being serious or not:

shakermaker113
06-24-2008, 07:17 PM
6000+ cds
1500 LPs

jesus christ. you must buy everything in your 'new music week' threads.

MarkO
06-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Shaker: did you go to Primavera ?? I seem to recall you talking about it.

BlackSwan
06-26-2008, 12:27 PM
:bump

shakermaker113
06-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Shaker: did you go to Primavera ?? I seem to recall you talking about it.

I almost did, I was ready to buy flights and all. but when it came down to it, I had to choose between Primavera and seeing some friends I hadn't seen in 3 years, and might not see for several years more. it sounds like Primavera was awesome, but I am happy with my choice. :-)

SFChrissy
06-30-2008, 04:30 PM
just got the kruder and dorfmeister sessions...a double disc import...

BlackSwan
06-30-2008, 04:40 PM
bands do that because they don't want overweight people wearing their shirts, only skinny scene kids who will uphold the band's image...

:lool

i've had the exact opposite problem... at Daft Punk last summer the merch pusher said they had one small and it was the first shirt that was bought.

MeowMixer
08-04-2008, 10:59 PM

It sucks. I'm chubby and so not to look like a gargantuan blarrg, I have to buy those slim fit tees in large sizes. they are a weird texture.

mvanwinkle
01-11-2009, 02:38 AM
i like to get 1 or 2 cds every month or so. and i have never downloaded music once.

boarderwoozel3
01-11-2009, 03:13 AM
I buy tons of used CDs. You get more bang for your buck.

TheWatcher
01-12-2009, 05:19 PM
I buy tons of used CDs. You get more bang for your buck.

I think about 80% of the CDs I own are used.

The best music store:

http://www.amoeba.com/

CalmerThanYou
01-12-2009, 05:20 PM
I am blown away that a majority of the people that voted still buy CD's...literally, shocked.

feather
01-12-2009, 05:23 PM
I buy cd's every week from the record store. Whenever I look at my collection it makes me happy.

Donaldj
01-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I buy Cds or Vinyl whenever possible. I have several thousand CDs. I will buy the occasional mp3 and I buy alot of .wav and .flac files from beatport, digital-tunes.net, juno, yadda yadda.

I always prefer to have a physical copy if available.

boarderwoozel3
01-12-2009, 06:27 PM
I think about 80% of the CDs I own are used.

The best music store:

http://www.amoeba.com/

Looks like it would be pretty fun to browse through Amoeba for used CDs. This is the best place I've found in the Seattle area: http://www.everydaymusic.com/ Especially the Capitol Hill location, all the local hipster kids selling their albums = lots of music I'm generally interested in for cheap!

feather
01-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Let's get physical...copies forever!

MeowMixer
01-12-2009, 06:57 PM
I still buy many CD's because I am legit like that! Peace. Ditto^

MeowMixer
01-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I buy cd's every week from the record store. Whenever I look at my collection it makes me happy.

What kind of record store? I live in the suburbs, only Best Buy. :(

feather
01-12-2009, 07:12 PM
What kind of record store? I live in the suburbs, only Best Buy. :(

My little privately owned one right down the street! Small, but awesome. I go there every Sunday on my day off to check what's new. They also have live acts play for free. They have really cool posters on the inside, like a Bob Dylan one, from when he played the auditorium at my highschool waaaaay back when! I love this place, the people that work there are awesome, and they have listening sessions, most recently for the new Animal Collective album.

http://www.fingerprintsmusic.com/

It's no Amoeba, but I love this place and support it as much as I can, even though new cds are pretty pricey there.

MeowMixer
01-12-2009, 07:14 PM
You go to CSULB right? Awesome. I saw a record store over there one time, but I didn't get the opportunity to stop. Maybe next time.

All Your Base
01-12-2009, 07:15 PM
I would die without Amoeba.

MeowMixer
01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
This place looks awesome...

http://www.indierecordshop.com/blog/images/fingerprintsfullSM.jpg

MeowMixer
01-12-2009, 07:17 PM

I love it, but It's so far away. One time, I got the FabricLive.29 with Cut Copy for only $3.00!

greghead
01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
that sucks. Shit, does Best Buy even carry many cd's anymore? That last time I was in one a year or two ago I noticed they had installed a download center, which seemed to be the nail in the coffin for Best Buy's cd supply

EDIT: directed towards meowmixer's statement about buy albums at Best Buy, I just didn't quote

MeowMixer
01-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Sometimes there is stuff. I also go to other places, I am just very limited.

PrettyRagdoll
01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Why are all the old threads getting bumped?

Donaldj
01-12-2009, 07:53 PM

I have been blowing on average $50 a week in that place for years. It's the best record store I have ever been to.

patsfan5454
01-12-2009, 08:15 PM
I have been blowing on average $50 a week in that place for years. It's the best record store I have ever been to.

I've never been to any store that could rival the selection of Amoeba! I usually go to Amoeba for the obscure and hard to find, & go to Virgin records for anything mainstream, they have great prices there and always got sales going on

pancakespancakes
01-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Mmmm... please note the Tago Mago LP in the foreground... smells like Amoeba alright!

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/30/amoeba.jpg

C DUB YA
01-12-2009, 08:57 PM
look at all the tasty vinyl.

mp3's be damned.

lolwut
01-13-2009, 01:02 PM
There is so much good music that you can not find on itunes or myspace music. You have to buy it.

All Your Base
01-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Damn Donald...that's just down the street from you too, huh? Luckily it's a little bit of a drive for me.

All Your Base
01-13-2009, 01:20 PM
look at all the tasty vinyl.

mp3's be damned.

Oh if you've never seem Amoeba, that place is vinyl HEAVEN man. And a lot of really good old shit you can get for a dollar.

jonnysparkplugs
01-13-2009, 01:22 PM
i'll always buy CD's if its available! i like having the CD! although i do play music mostly thought my pc/mp3 player! i really like it when the band lets you pay and get the download early and then they send you the CD once its out. Bloc party and hadouken both did that with there last albums

Donaldj
01-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Damn Donald...that's just down the street from you too, huh? Luckily it's a little bit of a drive for me.

Haha, yea it is. I am walking distance to my office and Amoeba.

All Your Base
01-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Man I'd kill to be in that position. Two hours of commuting every day is just a drain on my soul. At least there's plenty of music time.

C DUB YA
01-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Oh if you've never seem Amoeba, that place is vinyl HEAVEN man. And a lot of really good old shit you can get for a dollar.

I've been to the one in San Francisco

TheWatcher
01-13-2009, 01:56 PM
There is one in Berkely too. :)

MarkO
01-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Mmmm... please note the Tago Mago LP in the foreground... smells like Amoeba alright!

MOTHER OF GOD.

marooko
01-13-2009, 02:26 PM
i just bought a CD from The Mars Volta the other day.

feather
01-13-2009, 08:12 PM
You go to CSULB right? Awesome. I saw a record store over there one time, but I didn't get the opportunity to stop. Maybe next time.

Yes I do! I'm not sure which place you are talking about though.

This place looks awesome...

http://www.indierecordshop.com/blog/images/fingerprintsfullSM.jpg

That's my spot!

MeowMixer
01-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Yes I do! I'm not sure which place you are talking about though.

It wasn't on campus, just in the area. Actually, It was probably closer to the convetion center commercial area and I'm just an all around liar. If I could see the storefront, I could verify.

pocket
01-14-2009, 12:56 AM
i try to stay with vinyl but local bands and bands touring from europe i normally buy their albums because you cant find them online...

sportsbunny
02-05-2009, 06:19 PM
The CDs I buy are usually EDM and DJ mixes.

Rockstarboy37
02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
i just bought LIARS self titled last week.

coveredinmoleskin
02-09-2009, 03:05 PM

I'm with you. I thought I'd never be one to buy music online, but once I realized I was spending $3-$6 more for a cd that I would only take out of the case once to put onto my harddrive then set on a shelf, I made the switch to eMusic and iTunes and haven't looked back. I do enjoy flipping through the racks at good music stores, though (especially easy street in seattle, repo records in philly, and reckless records in chicago) and will throw down some money for used titles to do my part to keep their doors open. Generally, though I find it too inconvenient to have to schlep around thousands of cds.

instinct
02-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Everyone that uses Itunes is retarded.

Ravingmad
02-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Haven't bought a CD in a long time. itunes/amazon/myspace/blogs/message boards are where pretty much everything comes from for me. Everything I listen to is on my computer and/or ipod, physical media doesn't do much but take up space for me these days.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-11-2009, 12:47 PM
when Amoeba Hollywood had it's grand opening, i literally fell to my knees and had tears in my eyes the moment i walked through the door

...I really miss Aaron's Records though, that place was a awesome

Babalu
02-15-2009, 11:42 AM
I mostly buy older used CD's off of amazon for like 25 cents- 1 dollar.

muzikwhore
04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
I support my bands by buying the albums. The artwork is very important and I have cd collect I'm very proud of. Down loading is such a downer. When I was younger I'd love going to the record store and looking around for cool imports and bullshit with others about music. Now it's hardly down cause people have become lazy and cheap.