PDA

View Full Version : Why MBV is not playing Coachella...

mandelbaum
02-15-2008, 10:21 AM
http://www.nme.com/news/my-bloody-valentine/34384

Article is from NME, so who knows if it's worth anything, but it does quote Paul Tollett. Also (in my mind), hints that MBV will be at All Points West.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-15-2008, 10:24 AM
funny how they list verve as a headliner

MassiveChemicalPunk
02-15-2008, 10:25 AM
FUCK. why does APW get everything. that is a really obvious hint by the way...

psychic friend
02-15-2008, 10:26 AM
oh SHOCKER.

A BAND decision.

mandelbaum
02-15-2008, 10:36 AM
FUCK. why does APW get everything. that is a really obvious hint by the way...

Although I agree that it is a nice hint at APW, I wouldn't say APW gets everything considering the lineup hasn't even been announced.

Psychic Friend: At least it may quiet down the conspiracy theorists who believe that GV is trying to push bands like My Bloody Valentine towards All Points West instead of Coachella so they can make a big splash with the initial lineup. I don't think anyone regards this article as "shocking" by any stretch of the imagination.

psychic friend
02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
nobody believes me when i talk so why does it matter?

fact: we can't force a band to re-route or change their plans for us or be ready earlier or not have kids or not have plastic surgery or tell their mom not to die or get out of rehab early or whatever the million possible reasons they might have for not being in indio, ca in april of any given year.

anti-square
02-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Haha! The plastic surgery one is for Robert Plant isn't?

suprefan
02-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Although I agree that it is a nice hint at APW, I wouldn't say APW gets everything considering the lineup hasn't even been announced.

Psychic Friend: At least it may quiet down the conspiracy theorists who believe that GV is trying to push bands like My Bloody Valentine towards All Points West instead of Coachella so they can make a big splash with the initial lineup. I don't think anyone regards this article as "shocking" by any stretch of the imagination.

GET OVER IT WHO CARES, ITS JUST ONE BAND.

Oh and the logistics for MBV at APW is a tough one, check their tour schedule and match it with APW. Yes, they will magically fly a red eye to get here and play right?

mandelbaum
02-15-2008, 11:02 AM

Oh and the logistics for MBV at APW is a tough one, check their tour schedule and match it with APW. Yes, they will magically fly a red eye to get here and play right?

Not sure if this is directed at me or not. Personally, I don't care if MBV plays Coachella. I wouldn't mind seeing them, but I never really listened to them years ago so I'm pretty indifferent. And I just looked at MBV's dates, and yeah, doesn't look like APW is in the cards. I only pointed this article out because I get sick of reading posts from people that think that GV is spending all their money on APW or Stagecoach instead of Coachella like it is one big pot of money. Or GV is directing certain bands (i.e., Radiohead and MBV) to All Points West instead of Coachella. I, for one, don't believe any of that nonsense and understand that all these events are singular in nature and have their own operating budgets. And, bands don't route tours simply to play Coachella.

MarkO
02-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Kevin Shields is some chancer. 'Too early' my arse. What has he been doing for the last 10yrs ?

bobert
02-15-2008, 12:34 PM

Between posts like these and your unique avitar, I get the feeling that being the moderator of this board insn't as gratifiying as you'd like it to be. Perhaps "All Points West" is looking for someone to run their message board? Just think of all the Radiohead threads there will be.......

Boourns
02-15-2008, 01:12 PM

fact: we can't force a band to re-route or change their plans for us or be ready earlier or not have kids or not have plastic surgery or tell their mom not to die or get out of rehab early or whatever the million possible reasons they might have for not being in indio, ca in april of any given year.

What about blackmail?

"If you don't play our festival, you will be blacklisted from all out venues and you'll have to play a shitty live nation venue when in LA, which means a pitiful turnout unless you're someone like Radiohead because they can't promote worth a damn! MUAHAHA!" *twirls mustache and puts on black hat*

Okay, maybe not.

LOL...plastic surgery. Kevin Shields wants bigger tits? Whose mom died, besides Kanye's?

I wonder if Kevin Shields would get his shit together if he got thrown over a hotel balcony like Suge Knight did to Vanilla Ice.

Cpt. Funkaho
02-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Between posts like these and your unique avitar, I get the feeling that being the moderator of this board insn't as gratifiying as you'd like it to be. Perhaps "All Points West" is looking for someone to run their message board? Just think of all the Radiohead threads there will be.......

Given that PF is the moderator for both Coachella and Stagecoach, I wouldn't be surprised if she is also ALREADY the mod for APW's yet-to-come-into-being forum, and a small fraction of her aggravations on this board are the result of not only dealing with all of the Coachella/Stagecoach crap, but also having to get a third board and website up and running.

All this is to say: cut Dani some slack; she works hard for us.

Boourns
02-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Does the Stagecoach board have any aliases running around?

psychic friend
02-15-2008, 02:50 PM
just some trolls from here

hypervera
02-15-2008, 04:10 PM
funny how they list verve as a headliner

yeah and they are right

M Sparks
02-15-2008, 04:30 PM
we can't force a band to re-route or change their plans for us or be ready earlier or not have kids or not have plastic surgery or tell their mom not to die or get out of rehab early or whatever the million possible reasons they might have for not being in indio, ca in april of any given year.

...yet

cooperb1
02-15-2008, 06:07 PM

i do

Boourns
02-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Yeah, My Bloody Valentine not playing is Kevin Shields' fault, not Goldenvoice's. A lot of times it is the band's mean decision and not gv's, probably more often than not for the bigger names*. The problem is that it is easier to take your disappointment/frustrations out on a somewhat faceless company than a band you love, hence the scapegoating. It's irrational and pretty stupid. It's human. After all. Doesn't make it right, but you know what I mean.

I guess the fair thing to do is balance out all the negativity most of us have put out. This usually happens during the off-months when we are bored and have nothing to talk about but our fondest Coachella memories, but we should probably make an effort to start focusing on the positive now. PORTISHEAD AND ROGER WATERS! w00t. Like so.

Now that my fears have been confirmed, I find myself skipping My Bloody Valentine whenever they pop up on iTunes.

* = It's official that MBV, The Smiths, The Knife have been invited to perform at some point, but they turned down said invites. Someone on here claimed that R.E.M. wasn't invited this year, though, but that could be false. But Final Fantasy wasn't invited, according to Mr. Pallett himself. I had my friend ask Asobi Seksu on myspace if they were going to play after the SXSW lineup was announced because I didn't want to keep bugging them (recently asked about vinyl, new album, tour, other silly stuff) and he said they said they had not been asked. Oh, and Daft Punk turned down invitations every single year until 2006.

boyalien0
02-15-2008, 09:29 PM
The fact that FF and Asobi haven't even been approached by GV for Coachella just fucking sickens me. Slightly Stoopid? God, what the hell.

Boourns
02-15-2008, 09:58 PM
What label is Slightly Stoopid on? The only logical explanation I can come up with is they are a mandatory part of a package deal, like how Uffie is probably part of a Ed Banger party package.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-15-2008, 10:07 PM

now does this all relate to one artist? they must be the most missunderstood soul in the universe...

rage patton
02-16-2008, 10:48 AM
What label is Slightly Stoopid on? The only logical explanation I can come up with is they are a mandatory part of a package deal, like how Uffie is probably part of a Ed Banger party package.

Believe it or not... Slightly Stoopid are on their own record label. Stoopid Records.

bballarl
02-17-2008, 04:13 PM

This is funny because people were tripping out over Radiohead, who are also just one band and have never made a record as amazing as Loveless.

mountmccabe
02-17-2008, 04:26 PM
The fact that FF and Asobi haven't even been approached by GV for Coachella just fucking sickens me. Slightly Stoopid? God, what the hell.

They're both good bands but there are far too many bands on that level for GV to ask them all.

And Slightly Stoopid - though I have no desire to see them - adds more sonic diversity than either Final Fantasy or Asobi Seksu would.

thelastgreatman
02-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Has anyone else suggested that they might not be playing because they blow?

Boourns
02-17-2008, 05:01 PM
They're both good bands but there are far too many bands on that level for GV to ask them all.

And Slightly Stoopid - though I have no desire to see them - adds more sonic diversity than either Final Fantasy or Asobi Seksu would.

Worst post in the history of the internets. Sonic diversity? For starters, there is not a single band in the lineup this year that makes the same music as final fantasy or asobi seksu.

Creed and hannah montana would bring more "sonic diversity" than portishead and kraftwerk, hope they get replaced.

It's a shame that slightly stoopid already fulfilled the juggalo band affirmitive action quota because i was hoping for badfish or blaze to be added.

emtgreg
02-17-2008, 05:23 PM
you have a juggalo band affirmative action quota?

Boourns
02-17-2008, 05:58 PM
The government requires every festival to adhere to such requirements for the sake of sonic diversity and indie guilt.

rage patton
02-17-2008, 06:07 PM
The government requires every festival to adhere to such requirements for the sake of sonic diversity and indie guilt.

What would you do if Asobi Seksu was added to the line up of that festival where STP and Kid Rock are headlining?

Boourns
02-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Cry myself to sleep.

TonyWonder
02-17-2008, 07:08 PM
This is funny because people were tripping out over Radiohead, who are also just one band and have never made a record as amazing as Loveless.

I am a long time MBV fan. Loveless is a doubtless 10 and I really like Isn't Anything, maybe give it an 8. But with Radiohead, we now have six albums that are, barely arguably, at least 9s, three of which are probably 10s. That's not even mentioning their solid debut, ep's and huge volume of quality b-sides. There's just way more "amazing" to trip out over with Radiohead than MBV.

Memorial_07
02-17-2008, 07:16 PM
MBV stated they wouldn't be ready in time.
I can't stress how stupid that is.

Mr.Nipples
02-17-2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.amigo-musikverlag.de/images/mbv/mbv_winter85.jpg
wow...an actual group shot of the first lineup...

malcolmjamalawesome
02-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Has anyone else suggested that they might not be playing because they blow?

I have, see ...

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/29/mbv2mm7.jpg

Boourns
02-17-2008, 10:13 PM
What the fuck? Oh yeah, you're going to see The Mars Volta, so your opinion doesn't count.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Ha. Burn accepted. I knew that upcoming shows sig was poison.

Boourns
02-18-2008, 08:34 AM
That burn is poison
Never trust a big butt and smile
That burn is poison poison

malcolmjamalawesome
02-18-2008, 08:44 AM
If I was you I'd take precaaaaaaautiion

Boourns
02-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Another article about the matter:
http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSN2262053220080223

With that in mind, the reunited My Bloody Valentine turned down an offer to play its first show in 10-plus years at this year's festival, telling Tollett the band needed more time to hone its live show.

Another quote:

"They've been asking us for quite a few years," Portishead's Adrian Utley said of Coachella. "It seems like a good place to play, being out in the desert, and it was started by what seems to be some pretty cool people."

damon8
02-23-2008, 01:24 PM
seems like the article is saying that the acts that were picked are gonna be in top form, and the shitty thing is having to miss a few because of conflicts in the schedule.

Boourns
02-23-2008, 01:26 PM
I know I'm going to miss some acts on Saturday...there's so many. Most of the acts I want to see on Sunday will probably be in the second half of the day, so I'm a little worried about that. Not worried about Friday.

kroqken
03-09-2008, 04:44 PM
MBV > Portishead (Although I like Portishead).