PDA

View Full Version : New Tool album in the works

paganman7
02-15-2008, 10:09 AM
I recognize that Tool, and especially their fans, are generally not held in very high regards around here, however, this news is so exciting that I couldn't resist...Tool are preparing to begin initial discussions of a new album!

This is fantastic news!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=90740

GaragePoet
02-15-2008, 11:19 AM
I guarantee it takes at least 2 more years before it's written, recorded & released...

MarkO
02-15-2008, 11:22 AM
So they're beginning to talk about a new album.

I won't hold my breath on seeing it before late 09.

Mr. Dylanja
02-15-2008, 11:46 AM
I was lucky enough to catch the 10,000 days tour six times. Watching the segues between songs leads me to believe they have more stuff already written than one would think. This was really obvious to me watching the two last shows at The Pearl. It was interesting because during the songs it seemed as if the band was "going thru the motions" but during the segues all four members became much more attentive, interested, and seemingly curious as to what eachother was doing. Very experimental, crazy feedback and distortion with all the instruments. At one point Justin was holding the bass over his head pointing the neck towards the amp to create strange alien sounding feedback. It was obvious, to me at least, that this is the new direction they're headed towards and I'm very excited. For all you doubters just remember they did the same thing with 10,000 days on the Lateralus tour. They are just ahead of their time and over our heads 99% of the time IMO.

Memorial_07
02-15-2008, 02:46 PM
this could take a while.

kreutz2112
02-15-2008, 02:59 PM
The 10,000 days tour was the worst tour they have EVER had. I am not expecting much the next time around either. The only ways they can redeem themselves is 1. release an album better than 10,000 days and 2. mix up the setlist for christs sake. Seriously, how could you see them 6 times? I am a pretty big tool fan and saw them at Coachella 06 and then in SLC like 3 or 4 months after that and it was essentially the same show (I liked the one in SLC better). They came back in Oct. of 07 and I opted not to go because the setlist was pretty much identical to the one I saw in August of 06.

gratytrainridesagain
02-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah the Lateralus tour was so much better

kreutz2112
02-15-2008, 03:08 PM
The Aenima tour was the best. The Lateralus tour was fun.

gratytrainridesagain
02-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Personally I prefered the Lateralus tour but that is my favorite album, well actually I switch back and forth between that and Aenima. At the second show we got: H, Hooker with a Penis, Pushit (salival version), and Triad where Tomahawk came out and played with them. The giant tapestries were just amazing how they changed depending on the lighting.

Sushov23
02-15-2008, 03:30 PM
keeping the same set list for almost two years is very pathetic. That shit is just lazy.

kreutz2112
02-15-2008, 03:31 PM
agreed. The reason for it is because of their light and video show, but I would forgo that to have a setlist change-up.

Wheres the beef?
02-16-2008, 02:18 PM
You people are insane. 10k days tour was awesome. Let see, I saw:
2006 Coachella
2006 Street Scene
2006 Marysville
2006 Oakland
2006 LA
2006 LA
2007 Reno
2008 SF

And I can tell you that each and every show was very different. There was a distinct progression and evolution of the stage/light show from 06-08 as well. The difference between 06 and 08 productions is like night and day.
Songs I heard:
Stinkfist
Jambi
The Pot
Wings
10k Days
Schism
Lateralus
*extended
Aenima
*extended
Rosetta Stoned
Right In Two
The Patient
46 & 2
Opiate
*extended
Lost Keys
Vicarious
*Holiday In Cambodia

Wheres the beef?
02-16-2008, 02:19 PM
keeping the same set list for almost two years is very pathetic. That shit is just lazy.

Please. As if an ever rotating setlist is what makes a band good or not.

luckyface
02-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Wow 15 different songs at 8 shows? That is pretty impressive.

gratytrainridesagain
02-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Exactly you could have seen 8 shows on the Aenima or Lateralus tour and heard almost their entire catalog, and Demon Cleaner way better cover than Holiday In Cambodia. Or maybe the Melvins, Rage, Kyuss, Tomahawk, and King Crimson members would jump on stage. Did anyone besides Jello make a cameo on this last tour?

bballarl
02-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Please. As if an ever rotating setlist is what makes a band good or not.

It is lame when a band can't switch up the setlist. I understand there is a visual aspect to be accounted for at a Tool show, but it still is lazy.

mikebspeedracer
02-16-2008, 03:27 PM
awesome

TonyWonder
02-16-2008, 05:57 PM
You people are insane. 10k days tour was awesome. Let see, I saw:
2006 Coachella
2006 Street Scene
2006 Marysville
2006 Oakland
2006 LA
2006 LA
2007 Reno
2008 SF

And I can tell you that each and every show was very different. There was a distinct progression and evolution of the stage/light show from 06-08 as well. The difference between 06 and 08 productions is like night and day.
Songs I heard:
Stinkfist
Jambi
The Pot
Wings
10k Days
Schism
Lateralus
*extended
Aenima
*extended
Rosetta Stoned
Right In Two
The Patient
46 & 2
Opiate
*extended
Lost Keys
Vicarious
*Holiday In Cambodia

Agreed, and yes, they are completely insane. I caught five of the 10,000 Days shows and every one was completely spectacular. We'll probably never again see the complete versions of Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned or 10,000 Days/Wings for Marie. Their performance of Right in Two in OKC was probably the greatest Tool moment I've experienced. The lavish production is 100% worth the lack of song variation, plus you do get amazing changed up versions of classics, crazy interludes, drum solos...Goddamn that tour was great. Make a fucking mix tape if you want to hear a bunch of different Tool songs.

bmack86
02-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Watch a concert film if you want to see the same setlist performed the same way. it's cheaper and you don't have to drive to a venue. Seriously, I go to so many shows because I expect each one to be truly different. Not changing the setlist and minimally changing the light show is the sign of a band that doesn't really care about the performance all that much. They're going thru the motions.

Boourns
02-16-2008, 09:05 PM
I need to hear H., Pushit (Salival), and Opiate, still. Fat chance, eh?

jennygirl
02-16-2008, 09:47 PM
10,000 Days was lacking something. It seemed to me that they did get a little 'lazy' for lack of a better word. Let's hope whether it takes another 2 years or 2 weeks, it's more inspired. That said, TOOL is an artist that has gained enough of my respect over the years - irrespective of quality, I'll be there. But I have faith, I think they can 'bring it'.

emtgreg
02-16-2008, 11:01 PM
ill be hurt to see them not at 09...

in fact, if they just go ahead and try to get at least 1/2 of the lineup from 99, it will be a holy shit epic festival...

Wheres the beef?
02-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Watch a concert film if you want to see the same setlist performed the same way. it's cheaper and you don't have to drive to a venue. Seriously, I go to so many shows because I expect each one to be truly different. Not changing the setlist and minimally changing the light show is the sign of a band that doesn't really care about the performance all that much. They're going thru the motions.

You know, look at the Lateralus tour. It was the same thing. Everyone bitched about how the setlists didnt change and back then. Now everyone loves the Lateralus tour. The bottom line is, if you are a band as big as Tool and you come to any city once every 5-6 years, it doesnt really matter if you played the same setlist everywhere because its new to probably a vast majority of the audience.

Wheres the beef?
02-16-2008, 11:16 PM
I need to hear H., Pushit (Salival), and Opiate, still. Fat chance, eh?

They played Pushit in SD last year. I dont know if it was the alt. version or not. Haven't heard H since 2002. Man.

drugks Gillespie
02-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Exactly you could have seen 8 shows on the Aenima or Lateralus tour and heard almost their entire catalog, and Demon Cleaner way better cover than Holiday In Cambodia. Or maybe the Melvins, Rage, Kyuss, Tomahawk, and King Crimson members would jump on stage. Did anyone besides Jello make a cameo on this last tour?

Tom Morello joined them during Lateralus at Bonnaroo. It was absolutely retardedly fucking awesome. A super sick solo from Tom right at the climax. I never would have guessed how nicely he would sound with them live. He is a master.
I loved this tour. Loved the last one just as much. It is exiting that they are beginning the process again.

PassiveTheory
02-17-2008, 02:24 AM
They played Pushit in SD last year. I dont know if it was the alt. version or not. Haven't heard H since 2002. Man.

The second show...

The first show got the borefest that was the Wings for Marie 2 parter... Lame. That was seriously the only part of seeing Tool live for the first time that sucked...

Other than the bullshit seats I got.

sbessiso
02-17-2008, 05:23 AM
ick

disgustipated
02-17-2008, 08:05 AM
You guys know this was a tour for an album right? The new album, not the ones from 10 years ago.

Also, why the fuck is this in misc babble?

Memorial_07
02-17-2008, 09:14 AM
they really have a tendency of using the same songs.
not in the same order, but the same nonetheless.

Failed State
02-17-2008, 09:19 AM
The second show...

The first show got the borefest that was the Wings for Marie 2 parter... Lame. That was seriously the only part of seeing Tool live for the first time that sucked...

Other than the bullshit seats I got.

WTF mate!!! Wings 1&2 is their masterpiece, the drumming technique alone in that song is enough. listen to it again note maynards vocal progression, un-fucking-believable... im going to catch a ton of shit for this, but i think it is their stairway to heaven.

Wheres the beef?
02-17-2008, 10:31 AM
WTF mate!!! Wings 1&2 is their masterpiece, the drumming technique alone in that song is enough. listen to it again note maynards vocal progression, un-fucking-believable... im going to catch a ton of shit for this, but i think it is their stairway to heaven.

They are definitely really good songs. I really like The Trilogy a little bit better though. On CD 10,000 days is so angry and passionate. But, live it has a much different tone: very somber and serious.

bballarl
02-17-2008, 10:46 AM
You guys know this was a tour for an album right? The new album, not the ones from 10 years ago.

Also, why the fuck is this in misc babble?

Every band is going to have some songs that they play every night. This is normal. It is also normal to play songs from the new record every night when you are touring behind it. But it is lazy to not switch out some of the in-between songs. Even if they did it every couple of nights.

bballarl
02-17-2008, 10:53 AM
This is especially frustrating with The Police. I saw them in June of last year. The only difference in the setlist between then and now is that they started playing Synchronicity II. As a band with a huge fucking back catalog, change up some of the songs. Please. I want to see them again this summer, but I am afraid I will see the exact same show that was just alright last time.

rage patton
02-17-2008, 10:54 AM
This is especially frustrating with The Police. I saw them in June of last year. The only difference in the setlist between then and now is that they started playing Synchronicity II. As a band with a huge fucking back catalog, change up some of the songs. Please. I want to see them again this summer, but I am afraid I will see the exact same show that was just alright last time.

But this time they have Elvis Costello with them.

PassiveTheory
02-17-2008, 11:01 AM

Aenima is one of my top 10 CDs of all time, easily... Do you know how much I'd pay to hear Pushit performed live? Sure the Wings two-parter is amazingly technical (as are... every single one of their fucking songs [especially Jambi, how Justin plays that song with his pedals is amazing]), but come on... It's fucking Pushit! Totally not fair that only one show got Pushit... Ugh.

TonyWonder
02-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Aenima is one of my top 10 CDs of all time, easily... Do you know how much I'd pay to hear Pushit performed live? Sure the Wings two-parter is amazingly technical (as are... every single one of their fucking songs [especially Jambi, how Justin plays that song with his pedals is amazing]), but come on... It's fucking Pushit! Totally not fair that only one show got Pushit... Ugh.

I saw 10k/Wings from the second row in Dallas, the second time it was played live, and it was the quite the opposite of boring. The bad ass green laser show started during that song so at least the attention deficit types had something to look at.

They played Pushit regularly for years. Where were you? They dropped Aenima off the show during the last leg but added Flood...fucking Flood!

Wheres the beef?
02-17-2008, 10:18 PM
I saw 10k/Wings from the second row in Dallas, the second time it was played live, and it was the quite the opposite of boring. The bad ass green laser show started during that song so at least the attention deficit types had something to look at.

They played Pushit regularly for years. Where were you? They dropped Aenima off the show during the last leg but added Flood...fucking Flood!

Hate to burst your bubble but Wings I/II was debuted in LA on 9/7 and played for the second time live on 9/8, also in LA.

PassiveTheory
02-17-2008, 10:52 PM

<--- 18.

Yeah. >>;

I have nothing against the two part Wings for Marie, but it doesn't translate well live for me, at least.

TonyWonder
02-18-2008, 04:17 AM
Hate to burst your bubble but Wings I/II was debuted in LA on 9/7 and played for the second time live on 9/8, also in LA.

Doh! I stand corrected. Upon further review on Toolshed, I see that 9/14/06 in Dallas was the fourth performance. I thought Phoenix was first and they skipped it for Houston. Makes sense to debut it in LA for the hometown crowd.

disgustipated
02-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Every band is going to have some songs that they play every night. This is normal. It is also normal to play songs from the new record every night when you are touring behind it. But it is lazy to not switch out some of the in-between songs. Even if they did it every couple of nights.

When the songs from the album you are touring behind take up 98.9% of your set time you really don't have many options. This is why they would throw in a rotating list of in-between songs. I saw this tour 12 times and each show I went to had a different feel to it, and most had a different in-between song thrown in. The two L.a. shows were different, as well as the two S.D. and Vegas shows.

Wheres the beef?
02-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Doh! I stand corrected. Upon further review on Toolshed, I see that 9/14/06 in Dallas was the fourth performance. I thought Phoenix was first and they skipped it for Houston. Makes sense to debut it in LA for the hometown crowd.

That Dallas show was really good though.

kreutz2112
02-18-2008, 09:00 PM
I want Don't Look Back to have Tool perfom Aenima in its entirety.

Wheres the beef?
02-18-2008, 09:00 PM
When the songs from the album you are touring behind take up 98.9% of your set time you really don't have many options. This is why they would throw in a rotating list of in-between songs. I saw this tour 12 times and each show I went to had a different feel to it, and most had a different in-between song thrown in. The two L.a. shows were different, as well as the two S.D. and Vegas shows.

Especially the LA shows in 06. Second night was a crazy switched up setlist. Started with Rosetta Stoned and Maynard was pacing around at the front of the stage circa Undertow days. And Aenima was way extended with extra lyrics.

I really like the late 07 tour (previously said 08). Schism had this orange/yellow feel to it which, in 6 years, the song has always had a white/black scheme to it and was a very very nice change.

PassiveTheory
02-18-2008, 09:04 PM
I want Don't Look Back to have Tool perfom Aenima in its entirety.

Bingo.

drugks Gillespie
02-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Tool will always play the shit out of their newest material because this music has a lot to do with evolution. Band members have said that every single show is progressive, that is to say "grown out of the previous show". Someone a few pages back noted that you could have seen most of their catalog on the Aenima tour. The catalog is twice the size now so this stands to reason. I feel that the set lists we got were the most condensed, serious, important, relevant material that they decided on. I said it after I pushed my jaw back into place at Street Scene, I'll never question a set list. I just feel lucky when I see them. Tool provides the setting for the best acid trips ever.

brando4n82
02-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Tool provides the setting for the best acid trips ever.

no they dont

scottierock
02-19-2008, 02:31 PM
i gotta say those lasers are pretty rad when trippin

Mr. Dylanja
02-19-2008, 03:49 PM
I respect Tool because they are the one group that always did things THEIR way no matter what. Also I think they've always had reasoning behind their choices, just because we don't know what their reasoning is I don't think it gives us the right to criticize what they choose. They are four amazing musicians that from one even more amazing band, the cohesiveness they show is unparalleled. I feel lucky that I'm able to see them at their peak. To me they are The Doors, Led Zepp, and Floyd, Rush etc.advanced to the next level, they took what those bands offered and pushed it further, nowadays there aren't many bands that do that.

DaFunkyPrecedent
02-20-2008, 04:25 PM
you guys are all crazy...any moment watching tool live is an experience. They could be playing with sticks and stones on stage and i wouldn't give a shit.

Tool is a live music act - it's not just their music, but it's their lights and visuals. it was an experience i will never forget. I mean fuck..i almost dies at Street Sceen.

thelastgreatman
02-20-2008, 04:32 PM
I saw them once on Lateralus and was in the bathroom throwing up Robitussin when they were playing H. That was really lame. The rest of the show was just the most disturbing thing ever, so wonderful. Saw the 10k tour... four times? Four times. Including in Vegas, which featured Opiate, and I felt insanely blessed. And I was still pissed I couldn't see the same exact show a fifth time when they came back to LA. Yeah, it would be nice if there was more variation and a chance of the almighty trio from Salival making an appearance in any form. I'd kill you all to hear them play that version of Third Eye. But I'll take what I can get with a band that affects me that much every time I see them.

Wheres the beef?
02-21-2008, 11:12 AM
i gotta say those lasers are pretty rad when trippin

Agreed.

PassiveTheory
02-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Tool + lazers = win.

Mr. Dylanja
02-22-2008, 11:06 AM
This was from the 1st of the two Vegas shows wrapping up the tour. I was second row on the third balcony having a blast with my friend the fun guy!

Mr. Dylanja
02-22-2008, 11:50 AM
This was from the floor the second night...

jigsaw
02-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I saw the 10,000 days tour 3 times and it got better everytime.
1. Street Scene, San Diego
2. Theater Under the Stars at The Hard Rock Hotel , Las Vegas
3. The Pearl, Las Vegas.

I also saw the Lateralis tour. The final 10,000 days show was better. Lazer beams...Trippy Tapestries...Video screens...And the tightest band on the planet!!!

But, hey, I love the 10,000 days album.

greghead
02-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I saw Tool on the Aenima tour (I think I was 13 or 14, which means a lot of it was lost on me at the time), and three times on the 10K Days tour. Tool continues to amaze me 13 years after I first heard them.