PDA

View Full Version : Take your time in rehab, Amy. Here's Duffy!

HorseTears
02-15-2008, 12:57 AM
The UK hype machine looks like it's about to go into overdrive on it's new it girl of '08, Duffy. From the three songs I've heard, it looks like she has the goods to back up the hype.

She reminds me a little of Dusty Springfield.

I can't wait to hear more from her. Looks like she won't be in the US for quite some time, but a one off performance at Coachella would be an excellent idea.

KE2orthS3TQ

zlcRRnbqS8Y

PassiveTheory
02-15-2008, 01:30 AM
Sharon Jones > Duffy.

Granted I'll probably end up giving Duffy a chance.

gratytrainridesagain
02-15-2008, 01:38 AM
In my opinion I'd say they're equal. Sharon Jones has the pipes, but Duffy has what most people want.

rage patton
02-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Sharon Jones > Duffy.

Granted I'll probably end up giving Duffy a chance.

Just because Sharon Jones is better, doesn't mean Duffy should be written off.

Anyways, I am excited for both and WILL be seeing both.

Sigur Ros Stache
02-15-2008, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the intro, I must give her a listen then if she is being compared to Winehouse and Jones (Sharon Jones has blown me away) but I'd like to hear what Duffy has.

summerkid
02-15-2008, 05:53 AM
She reminds me a little of Dusty Springfield.

That's exactly who she reminds me of and all my hatred for Dusty Springfield gets funneled towards Duffy.

summerkid
02-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Just because Sharon Jones is better, doesn't mean Duffy should be written off.

Duffy can't pull it off at all the girl has no soul like most blue eyed soul singers it just comes off as hollow. Amy on the other hand (who i don't care for) at least has soul you can hear everything she's going through in her voice. Duffy's singing about being released like she's going on a walk in the park *puke*

HorseTears
02-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Obviously I don't agree with you, summerkid, but did you listen to the second song, Rockferry? I don't know how you can listen to that song and say she has no soul. That's true Northern Soul right there.

And, unlike Amy (whom I love) she sounds like she's going to be a more consistent live performer.

By the way, Bernard Butler of (The London) Suede is heavily involved in the production of this album.

Duffy Performs 'Rockferry' live:
3CGeNwauOFU

sonofhal
02-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Duffy is so MOR, i'm surprised she hasn't been hit by a car.

summerkid
02-16-2008, 12:15 AM
GGlKJDEI1Nk

NOW THAT is soul.

THIS is soul

s0iGhFwZx6c

evilmushroompie
02-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Dusty In Memphis rocked. period.

summerkid
02-16-2008, 01:52 AM
okay

this? lol

1BmSscVzNYM

or this?

OAa8vwmeewU&feature=related

evilmushroompie
02-16-2008, 12:33 PM
I read once that Aretha Franklin said Dusty was good, for a white woman. Just because shes not the best, doesn't mean she isn't good.

HorseTears
02-16-2008, 04:47 PM
EDITED TO ASK:
Wait! has Duffy always been on the lineup? I was posting under the Rumors section because I thought it would be a good idea for her to play. This is excellent. Sunday might not be so bad after all!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly, I don't know how this thread has devolved into a Duffy vs. Soul music legends argument.

No one is claiming that Duffy is the equal of Aretha, Etta, Tina, Gladys, Otis, Ray, Little Richard, Sam Cooke, James Brown, Curtis Mayfield or anyone else's name you care to drop.

I didn't even call Duffy a soul singer. From the three songs I've heard I'd say this:
- She wears her influences on her sleeve.
- She has an appealing and richly textured voice
- She knows how to write a damn catchy retro-tinged uptempo number - Mercy.
- She knows how to write a gorgeous, brooding, soulful burner - Rockferry.
- She obviously has a big team behind her, but isn't it nice for once to see someone with genuine talent have the full support, backing and resources of a major label?

And one other thing, she may not be by definition a "soul singer". However, to suggest that because she's not part of a racial minority, has blonde hair and blue eyes and fits into a petite dress that she doesn't have soul is just ridiculous. I can hear the soul in her voice and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

summerkid
02-17-2008, 10:37 AM
yeah, she's always been on there.

Now i'm not saying white people can't sing soul (see Jamie Lidell that guy has soul) that would be like saying white people can't rap, but it seems like very few white people can pull it off for whatever reason.

Memorial_07
02-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Can someone clarify...
is she the new Winehouse?

ambrielle
02-17-2008, 11:33 AM
EDITED TO ASK:

And one other thing, she may not be by definition a "soul singer". However, to suggest that because she's not part of a racial minority, has blonde hair and blue eyes and fits into a petite dress that she doesn't have soul is just ridiculous. I can hear the soul in her voice and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

What about Janis Joplin? She's white. Her soul may have come from heroin but she still gives you goosebumps everytime you listen to her music. I don't think Duffy has that powerful kind of soul that makes you stand there in awe, she sounds like every woman making a pop career these days. She doesn't stand apart from anyone.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tb4t0Mxq3J4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tb4t0Mxq3J4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

thelastgreatman
02-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Oh my god, I downloaded her demo, and holy shit, this chick is SO much better than Amy Winehouse. I'm in love.

thelastgreatman
02-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Duffy can't pull it off at all the girl has no soul like most blue eyed soul singers it just comes off as hollow. Amy on the other hand (who i don't care for) at least has soul you can hear everything she's going through in her voice. Duffy's singing about being released like she's going on a walk in the park *puke*

You're out of your mind. What the fuck do you know about soul music exactly, kid? The studio released versions of her songs are CLASSIC. Just as good as anything from the heyday of soul in the 70s.

greghead
02-17-2008, 04:52 PM
I read once that Aretha Franklin said Dusty was good, for a white woman. Just because shes not the best, doesn't mean she isn't good.

Dusty Springfield was good, period. Aretha's a snobby diva. But I agree with your statement, there are loads of great soul singers out there that a lot of you posters have never even heard of because they're not considered "the best", and their songs aren't played daily on Oldies Radio. Myself, I would pick Carla Thomas over Aretha Franklin any day of the week.

Duffy definitely has chops, but who knows how it will pan out.

And Winehouse is much more Motown R&B than what many would call "soul" music.

thelastgreatman
02-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Anyone that doesn't believe she's amazing yet might want to click here-> (http://www.sendspace.com/file/1menc8)

HorseTears
02-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Anyone that doesn't believe she's amazing yet might want to click here-> (http://www.sendspace.com/file/1menc8)

Cheers for that, thelastgreatman!

karecares
02-25-2008, 06:26 PM
I made a separate thread asking where i can download her music. I was redirected to this thread which has youtube videos and i cannot download that to my ipod. where can i download her catalog?

orbit
02-25-2008, 06:35 PM
you want her videos or music?

karecares
02-25-2008, 07:05 PM
music, i like to listen when i'm at the gym going nowhere fast

ultraslow
02-26-2008, 05:16 PM
By the way, Bernard Butler of (The London) Suede is heavily involved in the production of this album.

oh! I thought it had that "McAlmont/Butler" sound

MarkO
02-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Dusty In Memphis rocked. period.

quoted for truth.

MarkO
02-26-2008, 05:24 PM
I made a separate thread asking where i can download her music. I was redirected to this thread which has youtube videos and i cannot download that to my ipod. where can i download her catalog?

How about you go buy it ?

karecares
02-26-2008, 05:53 PM
How about you go buy it ?
Well i tried to purchase it on itunes and she was not on there hence my question of where can i find it. Download does not always mean free.

HorseTears
02-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Well i tried to purchase it on itunes and she was not on there hence my question of where can i find it. Download does not always mean free.

The album's not out yet. It comes out in the UK next week. It doesn't look like it's scheduled for a US release just yet.

If you're a a Barack Obama supporter, you can just hope that it falls into your lap, or if you're a Hillary Clinton supporter, you can take action and buy it next week.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rockferry-Duffy/dp/B0012OVF2U/ref=pd_ts_m_h__1?ie=UTF8&s=music

karecares
02-27-2008, 04:14 PM
THank you :)

too bad I really like what I heard, makes for good gym music, guess i'll have to wait

Hawkings
02-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Duffy vs. Uffie

in the end, there can be only one