PDA

View Full Version : Jay-Z

rkawar
02-13-2008, 09:40 AM
so i don't know how trustworthy people in this forum are. I know some people geniunely know stuff, and some start shit to provoke some argument. But I read on this forum that someone said there was supposed to be 3 big additions... one of which was a hip hop act.

people are wondering about kanye west cuz of his gap. I'd love to have both there. and there's not one i'd like more then the other, just saying that jay-z is a possibility. especially cuz he's headlining glasto this year.

Jay-Z is in the west coast literally 6 days before. I'm not sure where his tour going after April 20th, but he's doing a show in Oakland, CA with Mary J. Blidge.

So imagine how cool a Friday night performance with Jay-Z ft. Mary J would be.

i'm down.

thoughts/comments?

PotVsKtl
02-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Jay-Z can go rape hip-hop on his own time.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-13-2008, 09:56 AM
I think Jay Z and Kanye are very plausible at this point...but then the same can be said about anyone really....I remember Gwen Stafani had a gap in her tour dates last year and some folks made a big deal about her being there...just to see her play LA the same weekend as Coachella...who knows? I wouldn't count on them being there....

humanoid
02-13-2008, 10:10 AM
is this going to become a KIIS FM festival??

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-13-2008, 10:15 AM

eww....

NiceArthur32
02-13-2008, 10:48 AM
are you guys seriously dissing Jay fucking Z????

do you guys not like anybody here?

Jay Z is the fucking man when it comes to rap/hip hop...

I'm all for Jay Z OR Kanye, OR BOTH!!!

stop with the hating on an artist because people know about them...

DaFunkyPrecedent
02-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Open your ears people...

how is Jay-Z, by the way, raping hip-hop. Just currious to why you would think that? Or do you think that, because you sit on message boards all day trying to find something to to dis and anything mainstream is "un cool" in the amongst the Coachella Heads.

Jay-Z would be the sickest headliner - it would make Coachella 08 the greatest ever.

damon8
02-13-2008, 10:57 AM
i wonder if artist have a big gap around the end of april on their west coast tours because they like to show up at Coach and party/boogie down with the rest of us!!

Sigur Ros Stache
02-13-2008, 10:59 AM
change Jay-Z to A Tribe Called Quest and I AM SO THERE!

PotVsKtl
02-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Hey look at all the idiots.

damon8
02-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Fugee reunion anyone? ooo la la la

NiceArthur32
02-13-2008, 11:14 AM
change Jay-Z to A Tribe Called Quest and I AM SO THERE!

dude, you could pay 4 dollars to have them perform at your house... why would you want to see them at coachella?

dont get me wrong, theyre fucking awesome...

omg wtf bbq
02-13-2008, 11:17 AM
JAY-Z in 08

yes, yes, yes, and yes

pdhow
02-13-2008, 11:24 AM
I like Jay-z...been a fan of his since early on and I would definitely check out some his show if at Coachella. However.....if I heard Jay-Z was gonna be at Coachella performing all of Reasonable Doubt like GZA did Liquid Swords at Pitchfork, well then that would be a whale of a different story.

However I doubt it.

If Fugee show at Coach, ready or not, here I come....

msklvr
02-13-2008, 11:30 AM

That's twice today I spit coffee.

Is it just me or does Jay-Z's face look like it was melted. Or maybe his face is just long, like a horse. Or maybe his lips are just huge. I dunno.

Sigur Ros Stache
02-13-2008, 11:37 AM

Wow! and your screen name fits so appropriately to the comment.

humanoid
02-13-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't hate Jay-Z......I just think it would change the entire dynamic of Coachella

NiceArthur32
02-13-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't hate Jay-Z......I just think it would change the entire dynamic of Coachella

why? cuz it would mean more black/urban people?

humanoid
02-13-2008, 11:42 AM
I like Jay-z...been a fan of his since early on and I would definitely check out some his show if at Coachella. However.....if I heard Jay-Z was gonna be at Coachella performing all of Reasonable Doubt like GZA did Liquid Swords at Pitchfork, well then that would be a whale of a different story.

However I doubt it.

If Fugee show at Coach, ready or not, here I come....

how about GZA just does Liquid Swords instead???

or, I'd take a little Deltron

Young blood
02-13-2008, 11:43 AM
by black/urban you mean more drunken frat boys?

NiceArthur32
02-13-2008, 11:45 AM
by black/urban you mean more drunken frat boys?

no i mean, people like me n my friends... oh wait, i'm drunk.... and in a frat... SHIT!

humanoid
02-13-2008, 11:53 AM

no....I've been listening to hip hop since I was 9 years old, and have been to tons of hip hop shows....I don't care about the skin color of the people.....I wouldn't want Eminem there either, and he'd bring a bunch of dumb white kids

since he is such a huge mainstream force, it would bring a very Jay-z centric crowd who for the most part, would have no clue who 95% of the artists are....I know....generalization...but if you're honest, you know its true

humanoid
02-13-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm also opposed to drunken frat boys...no matter their race

NiceArthur32
02-13-2008, 11:57 AM
no....I've been listening to hip hop since I was 9 years old, and have been to tons of hip hop shows....I don't care about the skin color of the people.....I wouldn't want Eminem there either, and he'd bring a bunch of dumb white kids

since he is such a huge mainstream force, it would bring a very Jay-z centric crowd who for the most part, would have no clue who 95% of the artists are....I know....generalization...but if you're honest, you know its true

But then that would expose them to all these other artist and in turn make them less "Jay-Z centric" and they would become less of a stereotype and make them more welcome to future festivals...

someone has to break the ice ya know..

ThomThom
02-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Count Kanye out, He is touring on all 3 nights of Coachella in Vegas, New Mexio, and Denver.

Jay-Z on the other hand could be a possibility I guess since his tour ends on 4/20 in Oakland.

humanoid
02-13-2008, 12:19 PM
But then that would expose them to all these other artist and in turn make them less "Jay-Z centric" and they would become less of a stereotype and make them more welcome to future festivals...

someone has to break the ice ya know..

valid point....

....in my experience though, most of the people I know who are into mainstream hip hop aren't highly interested in broadening their musical horizons and venturing into new musical styles....while of course there are plenty of exceptions, I have found that to be the case in my lifetime...

...and, there legions of mainstream music fans of all types that could be exposed to new & interesting types of music....where do we draw the line?? is it Coachella's responsibility to embrace Justin Timberlake's fans, Shania Twain's fans or Creed's fans and hold their hand to show them what they've been missing?? I feel that most of those people don't want to be exposed to new, challenging music, because that's the reason they listen to such easily accessible stuff in the first place, they don't like to think about it that much....they take what the radio feeds them

I get what you're saying though....I just don't like him for Coachella

NiceArthur32
02-13-2008, 12:25 PM
i guess cuz i was one of those close minded, hip hop/rap only, called every other kind of music "gay" and people who listened to it "gay" kind of guys... but then i went to an all day music festival back in 2000 and it completely changed my view on music...

but i guess i still really enjoy rap... but i'm open to new stuff...

but i guess thats just my story...

everyones different...

ThomThom
02-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Your sure do guess alot Arthur

Bud Luster
02-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Open your ears people...

how is Jay-Z, by the way, raping hip-hop. Just currious to why you would think that? Or do you think that, because you sit on message boards all day trying to find something to to dis and anything mainstream is "un cool" in the amongst the Coachella Heads.

Jay-Z would be the sickest headliner - it would make Coachella 08 the greatest ever.

He's raping hip-hop cuz his lyrics and music are unoriginal and boring.

Nah, blacks wont pay for a 3 day tic. Unless they are TV on the Radio, and they let those pretentious fucks in for free.

MonsoonSeason
02-13-2008, 12:38 PM
sorry guys, Jay-Z is fantastic. there is currently not a better rapper alive.

NiceArthur32
02-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Your sure do guess alot Arthur
yeah, i guess i do huh?

MonsoonSeason
02-13-2008, 12:41 PM
hova dropped the fourth best album of the year with American Gangster

fyi

humanoid
02-13-2008, 12:48 PM

Jay Z says so himself.....it must be true!!

humanoid
02-13-2008, 12:50 PM
i guess cuz i was one of those close minded, hip hop/rap only, called every other kind of music "gay" and people who listened to it "gay" kind of guys... but then i went to an all day music festival back in 2000 and it completely changed my view on music...

but i guess i still really enjoy rap... but i'm open to new stuff...

but i guess thats just my story...

everyones different...

that's cool that you opened up to different music....there is so much great stuff out there

gratytrainridesagain
02-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Doesn't every rapper say that they're the best alive or "in the game".

NiceArthur32
02-13-2008, 12:58 PM
jay z and lil wayne are the current title holders... other people say things like "im the king of the south" or "west coasts best rapper"

lil wayne says he's the best rapper alive cuz jay z "retired"

humanoid
02-13-2008, 01:16 PM
I'd take Genius or Black Thought over either of them

MonsoonSeason
02-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Doesn't every rapper say that they're the best alive or "in the game".

right but jay-z backs it up by actually being the best in the game

lil wayne says he's the best rapper alive cuz jay z "retired"

even retired jigga could beat him

humanoid
02-13-2008, 02:35 PM
right but jay-z backs it up by actually being the best in the game

even retired jigga could beat him

I prefer music where the artist in question doesn't have to hold a "title" or let his/her own inferiority complex shine through in constant boasting concerning their abilities

fun to imagine though...

say, Bob Dylan, always singing about how he was the greatest folksy/singer songwriter /troubador alive & constantly hyping himself as the "voice of a generation"

comical

evilmushroompie
02-13-2008, 03:47 PM
I prefer music where the artist in question doesn't have to hold a "title" or let his/her own inferiority complex shine through in constant boasting concerning their abilities

fun to imagine though...

say, Bob Dylan, always singing about how he was the greatest folksy/singer songwriter /troubador alive & constantly hyping himself as the "voice of a generation"

comical

Folk doesn't have a tradition/history of doing that type of hype thing. Hip-hop does.

humanoid
02-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Folk doesn't have a tradition/history of doing that type of hype thing. Hip-hop does.

no shit?

MonsoonSeason
02-13-2008, 07:33 PM

fun to imagine though...

comical

okay so instead of jay-z outright saying "i'm the game's number one supplier," claiming his superiority over xxxxxxx, it's okay if dylan says "you're an idiot babe, I wonder how you even breathe" and claim his superiority over xxxxxxxx

braggadocio has always been a crucial element in music and I challenge you to refute this

sbessiso
02-13-2008, 07:36 PM
monsoon is on fyah

humanoid
02-13-2008, 07:57 PM
okay so instead of jay-z outright saying "i'm the game's number one supplier," claiming his superiority over xxxxxxx, it's okay if dylan says "you're an idiot babe, I wonder how you even breathe" and claim his superiority over xxxxxxxx

braggadocio has always been a crucial element in music and I challenge you to refute this

you're going to take one line of a Dylan song & compare it to several albums worth of Jay Z talking about himself like he is god??

I personally don't even find the 2 comparable in any way...and your "challenge" just makes me want to laugh

MonsoonSeason
02-13-2008, 08:09 PM
you just want to laugh because you can't rise to my challenge

jgafs
02-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Met Jay at Knicks game like 5 years ago...I gave him the pound and said 'reasonable doubt' was the sickest album rap album ever.
Granted, Biggie was dead and Jay was in my face, so I gave him props.
He might have fallen off a bit since but everyone usually does.
You have 'it' then you lose it, hopefully, then you get it back.

'Bouncing on the highway, switching 4 lanes,
Screaming out da sunroof, money ain't a thang'

Don't Knock The Hustle!

cooperb1
02-13-2008, 11:04 PM
puts head in sand

gmoneyak
02-13-2008, 11:18 PM
I'd take Genius or Black Thought over either of them

Agreed..

evilmushroompie
02-14-2008, 12:03 PM
If you can't get down to it, then that sucks for you.

Trailmix
02-14-2008, 12:26 PM

That did not happen when Kanye played.

JustSteve
02-14-2008, 02:02 PM

how about hype-hop since most of this shit is flavor of the week and then gone the next.

marooko
02-14-2008, 02:05 PM
if they add kanye i really hope they add him on fri.

Trick Loves The Kids
02-14-2008, 02:09 PM
He's probably not playing but if you think Jay-Z is anything less than great you're dumb.

rkawar
02-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Jay Z says so himself.....it must be true!!

jay-z aint the best. Dr. Dre is the best. If DRE did a show at coachella, i'd be there in S E C O N D S

NiceArthur32
02-14-2008, 04:25 PM
jay-z aint the best. Dr. Dre is the best. If DRE did a show at coachella, i'd be there in S E C O N D S

Dre is a GENIUS at producing... but compare his albums to Jays?

theres no competition...

Dre is like one of the founding fathers... so he gets a lot of respect, and he also has longevity with his Aftermath label.. but when is Detox coming out? didnt he say it was coming out two years ago?

thom cobain
02-14-2008, 06:21 PM

Black Thought of the Roots is the greatest MC of all time. He is alive. Jay Z is not even close to the same level of talent, originality, or energy Thought puts into a show. They have been touring for more than 15 years. The best.

Also better than Jay Z:

Black Star (Mos Def and Talib Kwali)
Guru
A Tribe Called Quest
Wu- Tang
Beastie Boys

to name a few

fuck Jay Z....that's your boy.

psychoc&ndy
02-14-2008, 10:54 PM
jay-z blatantly ripped off various other underground artists, nas included. nas has a whole song/music video about it. i think it was half joking, half serious but there is also a video on youtube with clips of jay z songs and clips played right after those that have word for word lyrics that he stole. Tupac and Biggie's contemporary Big L (rip) could tear jay-z off the face of the planet with just one freestyle - nonetheless everything L ever put out. same goes for masta ace, freddie foxxx, edo g, and old mobb deep. jay-z is just mtv's ambassador of "hip hop", which leaves many people in the dark about the real emcees of the recent past. he thinks he's in touch with the underground even though he turned his back on those who made him who he is today

BlueDevil50
02-15-2008, 12:06 AM
looks like the presale is sold out now...

gmoneyak
02-15-2008, 01:21 AM
If you can't get down to it, then that sucks for you.

Never said that i can't get down to it, I've been listening to Jay-Z since Reasonable Doubt...

I just think there's better MC's out there, Jay-Z got too commercial during the middle of his career and started putting out pop hits..

I wouldn't pay over $40 to go see him, I'll just put it that way..

NiceArthur32
02-15-2008, 02:13 AM
jay-z blatantly ripped off various other underground artists, nas included. nas has a whole song/music video about it. i think it was half joking, half serious but there is also a video on youtube with clips of jay z songs and clips played right after those that have word for word lyrics that he stole. Tupac and Biggie's contemporary Big L (rip) could tear jay-z off the face of the planet with just one freestyle - nonetheless everything L ever put out. same goes for masta ace, freddie foxxx, edo g, and old mobb deep. jay-z is just mtv's ambassador of "hip hop", which leaves many people in the dark about the real emcees of the recent past. he thinks he's in touch with the underground even though he turned his back on those who made him who he is today

youre talking bout the "i'm not a writer i'm a biter" song that was released a while back.... dude, jay z took one liners from these peeps and made hits out of them, and he still paid respect to the people who came up with the lyrics... everyone knows that "all i got for chicks is hard dick and bubble gum" was a big L line... jay z re-did it to pay respect to the fallen rapper...
and every other song he did with other peoples "one liners"...

i'm drunk, so disregard the typos...

chawns
03-21-2008, 05:49 PM
He just cancelled a show in Denver that weekend, and is playing Oakland right before.....come on baby

drowningmatt
03-21-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm with you chawns. Coachella needs the jigga man.

JClemy
03-21-2008, 09:24 PM
That would be sweet. I would definitely enjoy some Jay Z at Coachella. I don't really care though cause I'm seeing him at Pemberton in July

drowningmatt
03-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Nevermind. He's playing else where.

Fri 04/25/08 Auburn Hills, MI The Palace Of Auburn Hills
Sat 04/26/08 Chicago, IL United Center
Sun 04/27/08 Chicago, IL United Center