PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comments from Paul Tollett...

LooseAtTheZoo
02-12-2008, 04:44 PM
In the new Rolling Stone, Tollett said "many top acts refuse to sign on until three months before the festival - which means late additions. It makes it hard on the stomach," he says. "You'd much rather finish it early and just move on."
I think that this is an even bigger sign that we should be ready for at least one major act. Interestingly, in this issue there is also a short blurb about a Stone Temple Pilots tour where "dates have been penciled in but plans have not been nailed down." Another possible sign? Read into it what you wish

fikus222
02-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Scott Weiland checked himself into rehab again and missed the final show of the Velvet Revolver tour. He's just as reliable as he was in years past.

Blinken
02-12-2008, 04:56 PM
very interesting

Blinken
02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
is it a long interview with him or just a blurb

jonnypark
02-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Jack Johnson was already announced

gaypalmsprings
02-12-2008, 05:08 PM
jj sux

justinaqui
02-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Thats the only quote from PT. Its just a couple hundred words about summer festivals having a hard time getting headliners since there are so many shows.
Threadjack:
does anyone else get this magazine without ever asking or paying for it? Its been coming to our place since we moved in, but this is the first time I've ever opened it.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-12-2008, 06:01 PM
what issue is this...is it up on the website?

Ardentbiscuit
02-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Some concert tickets give free subscriptions to it. I think I got a free subscription for buying tickets to the first download festival.

But still nothing is as bad as how many times spin tries to give me a free subscription.

As for the quote, maybe Paul was referring to 2006. With one small line like that put in a magazine out of context of his whole conversation we have no idea what year he was talking about.

justinaqui
02-12-2008, 06:30 PM
what issue is this...is it up on the website?
"Britney Spears Inside an American Tragedy" is the cover story. I think its the most recent.

thatfinkleygirl
02-12-2008, 06:40 PM
In the new Rolling Stone, Tollett said "many top acts refuse to sign on until three months before the festival - which means late additions. It makes it hard on the stomach," he says. "You'd much rather finish it early and just move on."
I think that this is an even bigger sign that we should be ready for at least one major act. Interestingly, in this issue there is also a short blurb about a Stone Temple Pilots tour where "dates have been penciled in but plans have not been nailed down." Another possible sign? Read into it what you wish

First Jack Johnson, and now Stone Temple Pilots?

What's next, Insane Clown Posse?

coldstart
02-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Uh, ICP and STP should never be used in the same sentence. STP doesn't paint their faces and think they are violent clowns that everyone worships.

thatfinkleygirl
02-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Perhaps not. But that doesn't stop them from sucking.

Tijuana
02-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Perhaps not. But that doesn't stop them from sucking.

Just because you suck you boyfriends ass, that does not make everybody else suck... Stone Temple Pilots suck? LOL... Ok baby.

cloud9
02-12-2008, 07:27 PM
wel wud actualyl be kite intersting exept f or a fact call the festival is only tow mont h away not 3 but thanked fo rth einfo anyway i od believed anything could hpapen a addition a day of t he festival to addition in 3 mnute of big act small act who know am not fortune teller

BROKENDOLL
02-12-2008, 07:45 PM
cloud9, scary, but I do believe I'm startin' to understand you more each time you post. (Which is more than I can say for the second shift of idiots I've noticed here lately...)

cloud9
02-12-2008, 08:10 PM
hey thanked a lot barokenfoll can say that ame orealyl comiong round to you to at first just htinked u are a toy that oculd not worked ther eobivously more in th e inside :winkiss

microlovebeat
02-12-2008, 08:27 PM
yeah i actually just read that quote from rolling stone and it is pretty interesting.

one thing i don't get is that if tollett is soo concerned with the festival market being oversaturated, which it is, then why start APW???? he's just making it harder on himself and everyone else. does the east REALLY need another festival right now? Lolla, Langerado, Bonnaroo........

as for the three month thing......eh.....i'd take additions but i'm not getting my heart set on something being spectacular.....it would be too similar to what happened before this year's lineup was released.

MarkO
02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
hey thanked a lot barokenfoll can say that ame orealyl comiong round to you to at first just htinked u are a toy that oculd not worked ther eobivously more in th e inside :winkiss

Please tell me English is your 2nd or even 3rd language.

Memorial_07
02-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Didn't Paul really want MBV added?
And thats why we all had a massive speculation going on about them.

microlovebeat
02-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Didn't Paul really want MBV added?
And thats why we all had a massive speculation going on about them.

i'm sure he did. i'd kill to see them there.

what kills me about the article is jack johnson's fucking manager is quoted as saying something like, "How is Coachella going to top Rage Against the Machine? That's why they got Jack Johnson. Jack is really an artist the festivals can tip their hats off to." something like that. so lame.

that quote about big acts not wanting to sign till after the initial lineup is released would conincide with a rumor i heard yesterday from someone on the board about prince being added to friday and kylie being added to sunday. it would complete the double bill for fri-sat and would finally give paul some much needed credibility to what he says.

garrett222
02-12-2008, 09:46 PM
The big add will be to have Tegan and Sara play all three nights!

ZackQ
02-12-2008, 09:53 PM
i'm sure he did. i'd kill to see them there.

what kills me about the article is jack johnson's fucking manager is quoted as saying something like, "How is Coachella going to top Rage Against the Machine? That's why they got Jack Johnson. Jack is really an artist the festivals can tip their hats off to." something like that. so lame.

Yeah, I laughed pretty hard when I read that in Rolling Stone. I don't know about you guys, but as soon as Rage ended last year, my first thought was "How could they ever top this?....Jack Fucking Johnson!"

JebusLives
02-12-2008, 10:37 PM
This had me briefly excited, then I realized... they announced the lineup 3 months before the festival! He meant that it was hard finalizing the lineup until the last minute (late additions) before the announcement. "until 3 months before" has already come and gone, and we got jack (har har).

I don't think this means what you think it means... sorry :(

noisemachine
02-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Its about 2 and a half months away right now (actually a little less), so I suppose it is possible that they can be finalizing some late sign-ons.

humanoid
02-13-2008, 12:07 AM
Rolling Stone is a joke nowadays....how many times can Britney Spears or Justin Timberlake be on the cover?

hypervera
02-13-2008, 01:30 AM
stp is a fucking great band! real rock!!! not like the small indie shitty bands of the lineup

Sushov23
02-13-2008, 01:35 AM
I love coachella, and this message board for being so lovely.

M Sparks
02-13-2008, 05:50 AM
The market is only oversaturated when it comes to people who travel all over the world and go to multiple festivals. There are plenty of people not willing to do that.

I go to Coachella because it's a half days drive from me. Vegoose is even closer, so I tried it out last year, but I won't be going back. In this scenario, Coachella only has to beat out ONE other festival to get my festival dollar for the year.

Coachella and APW could have almost the exact same lineup, and it wouldn't really water things down. There are easily 30,000 people in the NE who would go to Coachella if it wasn't on the other side of the country. Most of the people who are willing to fly cross country probably still will, because GV will do just enough to keep Coachella a little more special for the hardcore fans.

ayates
02-13-2008, 06:05 AM
It would be a pleasure if STP sign on to play. STP and Alice in Chains are the only two bands I missed seeing back in their heyday.

MonsoonSeason
02-13-2008, 06:19 AM
Rolling Stone is a joke nowadays....how many times can Britney Spears or Justin Timberlake be on the cover?

JT should headline coach

Ardentbiscuit
02-13-2008, 06:25 AM
This had me briefly excited, then I realized... they announced the lineup 3 months before the festival! He meant that it was hard finalizing the lineup until the last minute (late additions) before the announcement. "until 3 months before" has already come and gone, and we got jack (har har).

I would guess that your interpretation is correct...it just seems to make the most sense.

MonsoonSeason
02-13-2008, 06:33 AM

hm I guess I forgot about this

well my balloon of happiness just imploded

sbessiso
02-13-2008, 06:57 AM
damn you and your logic!!

Memorial_07
02-13-2008, 07:01 AM
JT should headline coach

wouldn't surprise me if he did.
Especially since JJ will headline.

sbessiso
02-13-2008, 07:08 AM
well....

i saw JT on his futuresex/loveshow and it was all kinds of awesome, say what you will but homie works hard for his money, he had a full live band, played a little himself, backup dancers, intricate choreography, no lip synching, and he was having a genuine good time

unlike a certain Ex of his

rAnimatorX2
02-13-2008, 07:15 AM
works hard at suckin dick

Ardentbiscuit
02-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Billboard posted that JJ's new album premired at #1 in the UK. I am just waiting to see how he did here...I'm very curious when the numbers come out...he beat Hot Chip and Mary J. Blige.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003709298

sbessiso
02-13-2008, 07:16 AM
dick sucking isnt really hard work

microlovebeat
02-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Billboard posted that JJ's new album premired at #1 in the UK. I am just waiting to see how he did here...I'm very curious when the numbers come out...he beat Hot Chip and Mary J. Blige.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003709298

in my mind, jack johnson is nothing more than a cheap, easy grab for a festvial which comes off as being lazy and a tightwad.

JustSteve
02-13-2008, 08:33 AM
get over it.

Ardentbiscuit
02-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Jack Johnson is #1 in the US too, 375,000 copies sold..

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003710309

ZackQ
02-13-2008, 09:59 AM

I agree. It should be more common place.

nbvwes
02-13-2008, 10:20 AM

not when you're Justin Timberlake, he really works it...

MassiveChemicalPunk
02-13-2008, 10:23 AM

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003710309

Shit... that sucks. Who the fuck is buying all those albums? WTF???

humanoid
02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
JT should headline coach

your comment makes me want to vomit

humanoid
02-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Shit... that sucks. Who the fuck is buying all those albums? WTF???

many terrible albums from atrocious "artists" are consistently very high sellers...its no surprise, most people have horrible or no taste

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-13-2008, 11:16 AM

Sign of the end of the world no?

paganman7
02-13-2008, 11:35 AM
many terrible albums from atrocious "artists" are consistently very high sellers...its no surprise, most people have horrible or no taste

This statement has always mystified me.

normalone75
02-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Whenever referencing articles please post a link to the source please. Paul Toilet, dosent ever speak to the coachella community via his coachella website, so I am wondering why he chooses other outlets. Thanks much! Everything is a mysterie here.....

thelastgreatman
02-13-2008, 11:52 AM
The only demographics that actually account for CD sales anymore are either middle-aged or older or very young (and have the CDs bought for them because iPods are too expensive). Look at the list of highest selling albums of the past couple years.

paganman7
02-13-2008, 12:03 PM
The only demographics that actually account for CD sales anymore are either middle-aged or older or very young (and have the CDs bought for them because iPods are too expensive). Look at the list of highest selling albums of the past couple years.

Do iTunes purchases of whole albums contribute to overall album sales numbers? I would be shocked if they didn't, but I genuinely don't know.

braundiggity
02-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Jack Johnson has always sold amazingly well, in spite of little radio play and awful reviews. It's the sales that makes him a legit (if unliked on these boards) headliner.

nbvwes
02-16-2008, 04:46 AM
In the new Rolling Stone, Tollett said "many top acts refuse to sign on until three months before the festival - which means late additions.

if you wanna know how fucking retarded this statement is, just look at the lineups for any festival other than Coachella, anywhere in the world, ever...

thelastgreatman
02-16-2008, 11:00 AM
MBV is so playing All Points West.

http://stereogum.com/b-sides/my-bloody-valentine-coming-to-008119.html

My Bloody Valentine Coming To America
According to a brief discussion with Coachella co-founder Paul Tollett posted over at NME, My Bloody Valentine are coming to America. Coachella's April date was too soon, which is why they're debuting with summer festival shows at Roskilde, ya, in Paris, and at a spattering of ATP-sponsored gigs. And the US of A? To quote Tollett: "Don't worry--they'll come to America." Vague, but forceful. As far as the rumors that original drummer Colm O'Ciosoig wasn't going to take part in the reunion? The folks who started the rumor have taken it back.

microcuts
02-16-2008, 12:16 PM
one thing i don't get is that if tollett is soo concerned with the festival market being oversaturated, which it is, then why start APW???? he's just making it harder on himself and everyone else. does the east REALLY need another festival right now? Lolla, Langerado, Bonnaroo........

Lollapalooza = Chicago, IL
Bonnaroo = Manchester, TN
Langerado = Big Cypress, FL
All Points West = Jersey City, NJ

Those cities are nowhere near one another, and APW is the only proper "east coast" festival on that list. Chicago and Tennessee shouldn't even be considered east coast by anybody.