PDA

View Full Version : Drive from Cathedral City?

ultraslow
02-12-2008, 03:52 PM
My friends and I camped last year, but this year were considering staying in a vacation rental condo. Ive found some places available in Cathedral City (20 miles away), but Im wondering what the drive from Cat City to the Festival grounds is like? What's been your experience?

Does the traffic suck enough to forgo the comforts of AC, pool and a clean bathroom?

Camping is fun, except for being cooked out of our tent by 7 a.m and the stench of the porta-potties. Id also like to be able to sleep more than 2 hours a night :/

MiamiNate
02-12-2008, 03:56 PM
it's not farther away than palm springs(I don't think) and we stay there every year. it'll take 45 minutes to be parked and walking to the gates. it is a HUGE upgrade for some a/c and a bed and private showers. getting breakfast/lunch in town is a major plus too.

Memorial_07
02-12-2008, 04:18 PM
it'll take 15 minutes.
I live in CC.

gaypalmsprings
02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
As long as you take the right streets, you'll be fine.

bobert
02-12-2008, 04:29 PM
I've stayed in vacation homes every year I've been to Coachella. I think it's the only way to go. Lounging around a nice air conditioned home or private pool is the perfect way to re-charge for the evening. There are drawbacks, however. You'll wait in traffic for about an hour waiting to park on the way in, and probably twice as long waiting to get out at night. And someone from your party will have the unfortunate job of being the sober (or drunk) driver at the end of the night. But I think the benefits vastly outway the drawbacks. Most places for rent have pools, full kitchens, washer's, dryers - all the comforts of home and more. And assuming you don't trash the place and your deposit is returned, houses and condos are usually much cheaper than hotel rooms. Camping has its perks too, but I think that the heat and lack of sleep eventually detract from the experience. Had a blast camping at Bonnaroo last year, but by the final day I truely felt like I was suffering for the music. It's pretty sad when an air-conditioned bus-ride to the airport is just as enjoyable as a White-Stripes set.

chawns
02-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Just don't take the sunbus from Cathedral City to the venue. I did that last year and you get dropped of on the opposite side of the entrance and have to walk about 4 miles. It was almost the trail of tears.

jimmycrackcorn
02-12-2008, 05:03 PM
it'll take 15 minutes.
I live in CC.

bullshit...
on a normal day w/no traffic it takes 30 minutes... unless where you are coming from, and are going to, are RIGHT off the 10 freeway + are into speeding tickets... the days of the festival a more realistic time frame is like 50-90 minutes depepnding on how late in the day you go... earlier in the day it prolly won't be as bad... i try to get there before the gates open and then just get inside and relax, get my souvenirs, beer bracelet, and locker before it gets too crowded... a LOT of people don't go until the mid-late afternoon for some reason -shrugs-
anyways i would recommend the house + the drive...

gaypalmsprings
02-12-2008, 05:11 PM
hiya jimmy - I see ya every now & then at the Walmart.

jimmycrackcorn
02-12-2008, 05:17 PM
hiya jimmy - I see ya every now & then at the Walmart.

hey gay
-waves-
long time no speak...
i haven't been on the boards as much this year, but i am starting to get hooked again lately... i am sure i'll see you around :)

Memorial_07
02-12-2008, 08:19 PM
bullshit...
on a normal day w/no traffic it takes 30 minutes... unless where you are coming from, and are going to, are RIGHT off the 10 freeway + are into speeding tickets... the days of the festival a more realistic time frame is like 50-90 minutes depepnding on how late in the day you go... earlier in the day it prolly won't be as bad... i try to get there before the gates open and then just get inside and relax, get my souvenirs, beer bracelet, and locker before it gets too crowded... a LOT of people don't go until the mid-late afternoon for some reason -shrugs-
anyways i would recommend the house + the drive...

I don't take the 10. I go through Palm Desert. I take Jackson and that is very quick.
And it is more useful before the gates open.

camerashy02
02-14-2008, 02:59 AM
I live out here and stayed with a friend in Palm Springs last year when I went on Saturday. We left around 1:30pm took the 10 to Monroe and went that way. The traffic started backing up at 111 and it was slow but still moving. We were inside in time to catch regina specktor's entire set. I was outside of it on Friday because I work for the news and the traffic was a little worse but not that bad considering how many people were moving through there.

I would say allow about 45-60 mins from the time you exit at monroe until you get into the parking lot depending on what time you go.

rustynail
03-24-2008, 07:02 PM
I-10 then south on washington then left on ave 50 to the event
or I-10 to south on jackson to ave 50 turn right brings u to the event from the backside

eskomo one
03-25-2008, 12:11 PM
i can make it to coachella in 20minutes from cc using all the back roads. last year we got there really fast going 52 in la quinta but all those out of towners found our route and they backed up the round about. we had to make a quick right turn like we were heading to pga west and i think we got on 54 and beat all the coachella kids. they waited an hour and we got in in less then 10 minutes.

M Sparks
03-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Seems like it doesn't matter much...it's the LAST two miles in the morning and the FIRST two miles at night that take forever.