PDA

View Full Version : Last Year's Coachella Lineup vs. 08

Emma03
02-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Coachella got pretty positive reviews last year. Some people felt it was a 'once in a lifetime experience' and others thoght it was just another way to throw away your $ and be dehydrated the whole time: Coachella Reviews (http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_31916_coachella_music_festival_reviews)

From last year: "Coachella was one big party. (http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_31916_coachella_music_festival_reviews) I was standing in the middle of the Festival and I could see the main stage to my left, a machine that made lighting bolts (wow!, I never seen anything like it), people dancing on top of a stage and bridge infront of me, a second stage behind the big dance party, third stage to the right, the dome with the dj's having their own rave right next to me, beer gardens and food courts all around me, and lastly thousands of fans surrounding me all prepared to see one of the best come back shows of all time RATM. One big party that will never be forgotten."

http://images2.buzzillions.com/images_customers/07/00/203594_13772_raw.jpg

How do you guys think this year's lineup will compare?

...seems like tickets from Tickets.com are going fast (http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_31916_coachella_music_festival_reviews)

michaelmontanez
02-12-2008, 09:59 AM
I think that this year will have it's own unforgetable experiences, and will probably be pretty amazing, since I'm camping this year.

gratytrainridesagain
02-12-2008, 10:06 AM
This year is being very underestimated, I'm guessing this year will have less obnoxious people and just be fun. Everyone on this board claims that before 06 (my first year) there was a different vibe so I think/hope it will go back to that, I loved Rage and Tool but their fans were very rude and annoying.

BillyCrystal
02-12-2008, 10:27 AM
this year is being underestimated in that it's not gonna suck like a lot people seem to be saying. still, it won't be as good as last year, which was a lot more dense with great acts...

Trudeau
02-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Hard to top the simply monolithic experience that 07 was, but this year will be a lot of fun no doubt.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Ive never gone and thought, "this year was not amazing". Every year has been great so far and it is always a big party. You'll feel the same way this year. As for last years line up I was not that happy with it when I first heard the headliners (because they were all repeats). When I saw the full line up for the first time I was just a little excited. After learning the bands I didnt know I really loved it and also finally got my wish for a third day added!

Aside from the line up GV really sets up the field better and better each year with more things to do and see. Last year was the best with the addition of the do lab, the larger oasis dome and THE SPACE BETWEEN THE TENTS! they were much further apart and had less sound bleeding. The electricity you saw came from tesla coils.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-12-2008, 11:29 AM
this year is being underestimated in that it's not gonna suck like a lot people seem to be saying. still, it won't be as good as last year, which was a lot more dense with great acts...

2005 was a slump year too, yet I look back at it had so much fun! The weather was the coolest that year too. At least since Ive been going from 2002 on

ZackQ
02-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I think a lot of the bands on this year's undercard are on their way up, and in a couple years we'll look back at this poster and be like 'wow, Goldenvoice was way ahead of the game and knew what it was doing....Jack Fucking Johnson aside.'

Crackerfromcrenshaw
02-12-2008, 11:51 AM
I think a lot of the bands on this year's undercard are on their way up, and in a couple years we'll look back at this poster and be like 'wow, Goldenvoice was way ahead of the game and knew what it was doing....Jack Fucking Johnson aside.'

Wow i am so glad there is a smart person on this board, seriously i have been feeling like that since day 1, this line up kicks ass and i am tired, although its not as bad anymore, about complainers... there are 15 bands friday, 16 saturday, and 15 sunday that i MUST see i dont know how im am going to do it but gj Zack for being open minded enough to see past Jack Johnson

Sonicifyouwantit
02-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Wow i am so glad there is a smart person on this board, seriously i have been feeling like that since day 1, this line up kicks ass and i am tired, although its not as bad anymore, about complainers... there are 15 bands friday, 16 saturday, and 15 sunday that i MUST see i dont know how im am going to do it but gj Zack for being open minded enough to see past Jack Johnson

you do realize hes not the only one though right?

dontfeedthebird
02-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm in love with this year's line up. I wake up spend the rest of the day trying to get over it.

Crackerfromcrenshaw
02-12-2008, 12:03 PM
you do realize hes not the only one though right?

Well yea but i was dancing when i saw the line up, came on the messageboard and everyone was like OMFG OMFG THIS SUCKS FUCK GV FUCK GV and then they all were like NO RADIOHEAD, im still dancing at this point, and then people started being like o never mind... but nobody has been like OMFG OMFG THIS LINE UP ROCKS, but i did not see all the threads so feel free to point it out, but it doesnt matter if you like the line up and your going well see you there fellow coachella'r but if your not going cause David Bowie or some rumored artist is not headlining, suck a fat one.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Well yea but i was dancing when i saw the line up, came on the messageboard and everyone was like OMFG OMFG THIS SUCKS FUCK GV FUCK GV and then they all were like NO RADIOHEAD, im still dancing at this point, and then people started being like o never mind... but nobody has been like OMFG OMFG THIS LINE UP ROCKS, but i did not see all the threads so feel free to point it out, but it doesnt matter if you like the line up and your going well see you there fellow coachella'r but if your not going cause David Bowie or some rumored artist is not headlining, suck a fat one.

just have to look at any past posts and you'd realize i am going, or my signature below or the fact that I said you realize hes not the only one. Im not going crazy over the line up because Ive already seen 40% of the bands but I think the undercards are really good despite any repeats and I dont care about the headliners really, Ive never really been into them except radiohead in 04 and NIN in 05. I think its going to be a great year as always and have no doubt (not the band) that we will be having a blast in ten weeks or so, man can you believe its only ten weeks away??

bobert
02-12-2008, 12:36 PM

Couldn't agree more. The fact that The Raconteurs, Portishead, and My Morning Jacket all have new albums in the works that NONE of us have heard yet only reinforces my belief that this lineup will have much more stock at the end of April. When all is said and done, I think a lot of people will be eating their words after Coachella '08.

euphonicfiend
02-12-2008, 12:38 PM
this is my first year and i dont think i could have picked a better one! jack johnson, portishead, roger waters, chromeo, rilo kiley, all some of my favorite groups ever! not to mention the chill crowd that follows them. i think this year will be more relax kick back 420 status then lets break shit and fight

gratytrainridesagain
02-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah I really do hope all the people saying they were going to Bonnaroo instead bought pre sale tix, then cried after the announcement.

Ritestyl
02-12-2008, 12:42 PM
07 = way better

Crackerfromcrenshaw
02-12-2008, 01:02 PM
07 = way better

Too bad you dont like good music =/

gratytrainridesagain
02-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Ritestyl = no trophy

zenidogx
02-12-2008, 02:08 PM
07 just had the bands i already liked and never saw live. this year there are a lot of bands i am just starting to like or have already seen live. so the anticipation and familiarity of 07 puts it to an advantage.

Truta
02-12-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm as excited as I was last year, the 2008 lineup has a lot of new things for me that I'm loving.

Coachella for me is supossed to be something out of the normal, different than the every day, this lineup is great, true Music Festival. Can't wait....

depechemodekraftwerk
02-16-2008, 12:58 PM
You can pump all your attitudes u for coachella. all you want but THIS YEARS LINE-UP SUCKS...

If your going have the best time you can and make the best of the experience...

But still the line-up sucks

fasttrack
02-16-2008, 01:45 PM
You can pump all your attitudes u for coachella. all you want but THIS YEARS LINE-UP SUCKS...

the line-up DOESN'T suck. you just don't like it. you may be disappointed by it but, nobody is twisting your arm to go to coachella. if you think it "sucks" then don't go.

hypervera
02-16-2008, 01:54 PM

yeah:thu

MassiveChemicalPunk
02-16-2008, 02:01 PM
the line-up DOESN'T suck. you just don't like it. you may be disappointed by it but, nobody is twisting your arm to go to coachella. if you think it "sucks" then don't go.

You couldn't have said it better.

gratytrainridesagain
02-16-2008, 02:05 PM
For me personally:

JJ=RHCP same level of annoyance
Portishead>Bjork seen Bjork before and while amazing like Portishead more
Roger Waters=Rage the Waters show is amazing and better but just seeing Rage back together for the first time was great had it been any other Rage show I'd say Waters hands down

Boourns
02-16-2008, 08:24 PM
I was very excited about 2005 because I knew more bands on the lineup than in 2004, since i got better at keeping up with that sort of thing, but looking back I know it certainly wasn't the best lineup, with several disappointing sets and some awful conflicts, but also some truly amazing sets, really cool people at camp, I got to hang with several people I actually knew inside, and PERFECT WEATHER.

As for this year's lineup, it's certainly a slump year, and shame about no Radiohead, MBV, Asobi Seksu, BSS, David Hasselhoff, etc and the presence of Slightly Stoopid and Jack Johnson, but there will be some guaranteed amazing sets and I FINALLY get to see Portishead. So yay. No year is ever perfect, anyway. Every year has its "why aren't they playing? why are they playing instead?" drama, just some more than others.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-16-2008, 11:00 PM

yeah I guess Im gonna be walking around all three days just grinning and bearing it because I wont be able to see any good acts or have fun at all...wait a minute thats not true, Im gona have a blast! have fun at home.

ZackQ
02-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Couldn't agree more. The fact that The Raconteurs, Portishead, and My Morning Jacket all have new albums in the works that NONE of us have heard yet only reinforces my belief that this lineup will have much more stock at the end of April. When all is said and done, I think a lot of people will be eating their words after Coachella '08.

That's a good point. Last year the same sort of thing happened. I was very stoked about the line up. Then LCD Soundsystem dropped one of the best albums of the year, then Arcade Fire had a solid follow up to their debut, then Stephen Marley's long-awaited album came out, and so on and so on. In other words, Goldenvoice books performers with new albums coming (duh, isn't that the point of touring?), and the line up gets better as the date approaches. Can't wait.

Weeping Willow
02-17-2008, 06:35 PM
this year will be far superior. No annoying Tool and RATM fans, no sellout, room to walk around, and a great lineup.

HEADSTRUCK
02-19-2008, 02:55 PM
I think its more of the line ups just being different. neither are bad IMO but different indeed. Last year i went to see acts like RATM, Interpol, Peeping Tom and CSS. This year its acts like Portishead, Deathcab, Kraftwerk and Racontuers (yes i am only talking "headliners"). They are not really acts i think u can compare to each other......

Sonicifyouwantit
02-19-2008, 04:34 PM
this year will be far superior. No annoying Tool and RATM fans, no sellout, room to walk around, and a great lineup.

dont count on no sell out for sat/sun at least not sat.

I think its more of the line ups just being different. neither are bad IMO but different indeed. Last year i went to see acts like RATM, Interpol, Peeping Tom and CSS. This year its acts like Portishead, Deathcab, Kraftwerk and Racontuers (yes i am only talking "headliners"). They are not really acts i think u can compare to each other......

last year was amazing, this year will be amazing...02, 03, 04, 05 and 06 were too come to think of it.

jigglypuflvr@mac.com
02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
03, 05, 06, 07, 08. all the years i've been. i do drugs more now, so you can imagine i am more excited for this year, though the lineup might be a bit different. i get free tickets every year, so i don't really give two shits about the lineup. it's basically just a fun, free weekend 45 minutes from home where i get to visit my aunt @ GV.

SFChrissy
02-20-2008, 11:16 AM

I feel the same way and think all that negative bullshit is a total buzzkiller and think they should all eat a phat richard!!!

DaFunkyPrecedent
02-20-2008, 04:15 PM
everyone that will be there will be ready to party with all the bands. This year we wont get people who bought a ticket just to see Rage and just stand around waiting through the rest of the shows.

This is the year of the DJ. I hope they add a dance floor in the Tents.