PDA

View Full Version : list of things needed:

ahaas9189
02-10-2008, 07:41 PM
so this is my first year going to coachella .... and i'm super excited. i'm wondering what would be a good list of things to bring? help! i want to make sure i'm prepared as much as possible. thanks in advance :)

what should i expect?? can someone recap on a past first experience? what was shocking? what was something you didn't anticipate? something awesome? scary? something that sucks? any feedback would be awesome. thanks guys!!!

allie

zenidogx
02-10-2008, 07:49 PM
water. chapstick. shorts. small backpack is nice to have. security can be a big bitch, but besides them, everyone's cool at coachella. there's nothing to worry about, except scheduling conflicts. see entire sets of bands you really like.

rage patton
02-10-2008, 07:50 PM
It is hot. I was expecting it to be hot. But it was HOT. Not only that, but you are in it for 3 straight days. Being hydrated is your #1 priority all weekend.
Also, are you camping? If so, be prepared to wake up at 7:30 every morning. Your tent is pretty much a sauna by that point. If you are lucky, you will make it till 8:00.

scoop49er
02-10-2008, 07:53 PM
think about getting a locker... also get some stuff if u chaffe or stuff to avoid rashes.. sunscreen is a must. aspirin, baby wipes(was the best thing i brought with me. it just comes in handy. trust me!) chapstick, if i can think of more stuff ill let u know. also put all of it in a ziploc bag. they are gonna want you to remove everything from ur pockets and they will check ur backpack. the backpack is one thing but to make it easier for you and for you to get in faster, put all little things in a clear plastic ziploc. it worked so good last year... :)

ahaas9189
02-10-2008, 07:58 PM
how do i get a locker? when you camp, is your tent just sitting there all day? is there a way that your tent is marked, or secure? what's the deal with camping etc?? can we bring coolers?

AbundantChoice
02-10-2008, 08:03 PM
*sunscreen + cap with some sort of brim.
*Enough $ to drink a bottle of water or gatorade between each set until the sun goes down
*Shoes with a closed toe!

Other than that, have fun!

rage patton
02-10-2008, 08:14 PM
how do i get a locker? when you camp, is your tent just sitting there all day? is there a way that your tent is marked, or secure? what's the deal with camping etc?? can we bring coolers?

Get to the campgrounds early, and get a tent closer the festival entrances. That way, it will be easier to find your tent and, theoreticaly, should be more secure. But no. It is up to your to mark and secure your own tent. Yes, you may bring coolers.

stewboss
02-10-2008, 09:17 PM
It is HOT as everyone here has already recognized, but my first year at Coachella (2002) it got really windy and subsequently very cold at night. In fact, we missed a lot of the Chemical Brothers set as we were desperately trying to buy enough gear to stay warm through the rest of the show.

It sounds almost counterintuitive but I'd have at least a long sleeved shirt if not a sweatshirt handy just in case.

mountmccabe
02-10-2008, 09:17 PM
how do i get a locker?

There are a very limited amount of lockers available for rent. Please go to: http://lockersonline.com/

: )

mountmccabe
02-10-2008, 09:36 PM
My list:

Money for water and food
Money for merch if you want shirts or other items
Sunblock
Chapstick
Cool, comfortable, breathable clothing
Cool, comfortable footwear. I recommend close-toed shoes if you're planning on being in the thick of the crowd at the stages

Other thoughts:

Have along on the trip a light jacket of some sort. I generally don't bring one into the festival (2002 I did!) but it's an important option
Though you can buy hoodies and sweatshirts and such once you are inside
I think once I wore a cap but it just made my head hot and I live in Arizona and am used to staring into the sun
I don't wear sunglasses but if I did I would definitely bring them here
Earplugs might be a good idea for camping
They're also a good idea for when you're in a close spot
Bring and apply deodorant
If you're camping a tent fan is almost necessary
The last several years camping it has been so nice to come back from the festival and have food and cold drinks waiting
You'll go through a lot of ice; it's good to bring non-perishable food too so you have other options
The set times in the past have been posted a couple days before the festival starts. If at all possible print that off so you can familiarize yourself with it and know when you need to be inside
In the past there have been nice areas to cool off inside; the AT&T Blue Room (I think) was dark and cool and a great place to start to take a break.
It was nice even when it was crowded

mountmccabe
02-10-2008, 09:52 PM
The first year I went I had no idea what to expect. I didn't study the lineup very well and just kind of wandered checking out every area except when my must sees were playing.

I'm in a much different place musically and Coachellaly now. I am slowly listening to as many of the artists performing as I can. The Official News (http://www.coachella.com/updates/news/Get%20to%20know%20Coachella%202008) page has a list of the artists and a link to a YouTube for almost all of them. The Line Up/Artists section has a lot of threads about the bands; the Music Lounge has more including the Mix/mp3 Depository Thread (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126&page=32) that includes mp3 mixes of Coachella artists (and other mixes, of course.)

A lot of my motivation for looking into the artists playing has to do with walking out of the Mojave after Elbow in 2002. I remarked "wow, a lot of the people waiting are wearing At the Drive-In t-shirts" but it never clicked. So we wandered around and ended up seeing most of Mos Def (when I wasn't in a position to really appreciate that) instead of catching one of the early performances by the Mars Volta (back when seeing them was worthwhile.)

So it'll be a lot of fun. There'll be a lot of people there. You won't be able to see every band you want because of conflicts. You won't be able to be close unless you arrive early for shows. No matter where you stand there will always be people walking around trying to get a better spot or leaving to catch somebody else.

I think I'm just rambling at this point.

SometimesNJ
02-10-2008, 09:55 PM
water
sunscreen
money

greghead
02-10-2008, 10:00 PM
All of the basics (water, chapstic, etc) have all been covered, you've got that down, but now you need to start thinking beyond bare necessities. To avoid baking the sun all day, buy a pop-up canopy tent, they're like $50 or more, but you will have shade for three days. There are no trees, no shade, and sitting in your tent is not a viable option after 8:00 AM. Having shade will make you extremely popular with the people you're sharing your square with. People will stop by to kick it and smoke weed and drink beers with you. Think about which direction your tent is facing, and where you place it in your spot. The sun is a son of bitch, but you can avoid it and sleep a little longer by getting out of your tent and sleeping in the shade on the west-side of your tent until about 10 or so.

Bring your a shitload of water. Go to Wal-Mart and buy an entire case of bottled water. Bring a cooler. Stock the bottom of the cooler with dry ice and then put your ice on top; that way you will have cold drinks and ICE, which is hard to come by out there. Bring sandwiches, fruit (grapes, oranges, apples) granola bars, trail mix, all of these things are cheap, quick, and will keep your blood sugar up, which is critical when you're sweating in the desert for three days. Bring advil, dental floss, and cold medicine, you never know when you're going to get sick or get a headache.

Bring a small boombox that can operate on batteries, and shitload of weed. You probably won't end up going inside the show until about two or three each day, so you need something to pass the time. Plus, everybody likes music and most like weed. Translation: you're guaranteed to make friends.

greghead
02-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh, and to find your tent, rely on those around you. Undoubtedly someone around you will have a flag or balloons or some other form of "identification". Orient yourself in relation to their tent, that way after the show you can easily spot their tent, which will then get you, at least, near your spot.

Courtney
02-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Bring all of the things mentioned above, and also:

aloe vera gel if you are fair-skinned and prone to sunburn
baby wipes
kleenex and/or toilet paper
pen or sharpie
camera with lots of memory (or film)!

Courtney
02-10-2008, 10:40 PM
government-issued photo ID for beer garden and/or will call tickets

MarkO
02-10-2008, 10:48 PM
I bring a travel pack of ass gaskets. You'll appreciate them ....

TheWatcher
02-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Another thing that you might want to bring:

salt

It's very hot, as many people have pointed out. Just drinking water, soda or beer does not replace the salt that you lose when you sweat. I found that bringing those little salt packets that you get as fast food places worked.

Emmie01
02-10-2008, 11:43 PM
how many trips in and out do you usually end up making when you first get to the campground? sleeping bags, tents, canopies, coolers, cases of water, boombox...it sounds like SO MUCH stuff.

jimmycrackcorn
02-10-2008, 11:51 PM
beef jerky...
light, compact, powerful....
this is my favorite brand...

jimmycrackcorn
02-10-2008, 11:53 PM
and for the seafood lovers:
this is like fish jerky....
it is surprisingly good

scoop49er
02-11-2008, 05:48 AM
the top 3 things i took into the festival last year:

baby wipes
aspirin
comfortable shoes.. :)

fatbastard
02-11-2008, 06:18 AM
Take a compass. Some people were reported missing in the sahara tent. The heat is unbelievable.

paganman7
02-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Gold Bond!

Last year I had an ass rash from the sweating and dancing that was so bad it felt like badgers were gnawing at my crotch.

ahaas9189
02-11-2008, 07:57 AM
thanks so much for all the feedback guys. please post anything else that you can think of. this is really helping me!

this community thing is really awesome, too by the way. i'm going with my 3 friends, and we are all so excited. we're also stoked to meet some new people out there. it's going to be a fucking awesome time.

ps - is weed really as readily available as people make it out to seem!? we're coming from boston, and we don't know if we should be stuffing drugs in inappropriate places, or just trusting that we can get some when we get there. we don't want to go through the weekend without it. thoughts?!??!

Memorial_07
02-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I always go with light materials.
Phone and wallet.

Maybe I'll bring a towel this year for shade.

ahaas9189
02-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Gold Bond!

Last year I had an ass rash from the sweating and dancing that was so bad it felt like badgers were gnawing at my crotch.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHA

amyzzz
02-11-2008, 08:31 AM
thanks so much for all the feedback guys. please post anything else that you can think of. this is really helping me!

this community thing is really awesome, too by the way. i'm going with my 3 friends, and we are all so excited. we're also stoked to meet some new people out there. it's going to be a fucking awesome time.

ps - is weed really as readily available as people make it out to seem!? we're coming from boston, and we don't know if we should be stuffing drugs in inappropriate places, or just trusting that we can get some when we get there. we don't want to go through the weekend without it. thoughts?!??!
If you're camping, you'll probably find weed somewhere, especially if Randy is doing his rounds.

scoop49er
02-11-2008, 10:20 AM
gold bond!!! yes that was the name of the stuff.. yes i brought some of that as well.. i didnt rash up so thats a good thing.. :)

greghead
02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
how many trips in and out do you usually end up making when you first get to the campground? sleeping bags, tents, canopies, coolers, cases of water, boombox...it sounds like SO MUCH stuff.

You end up making a lot of trips, but the first one is the worst, due to the enormous line to get in (which does not thin until about 3AM). On the first trip bring tent, sleeping bags, backpack, etc. that way you can get yourself set up before you bring the extra shit, like coolers and canopy tents. Once you have your camper's bracelet, you don't have to wait in line anymore, you can just walk to the front of the line, AND they don't search you after the first time. After you get your camp set up, then go back for beer, dope, whatever.

greghead
02-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Plus, you don't have to bring in everything at once, you can leave the case of water in your car and then make a trip out when you need more. Same with the cooler and your food. If you've got a couple buddies, it's much easier. If you're flying solo, you'll have a hard time.

BRING A FOLDING/CAMPING CHAIR! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT

boarderwoozel3
02-11-2008, 03:44 PM
If you're camping, you'll probably find weed somewhere, especially if Randy is doing his rounds.

Or just talk to a hippy looking person. Yes its stereotyping but also very effective.

Emmie01
02-11-2008, 04:16 PM
AND they don't search you after the first time. After you get your camp set up, then go back for beer, dope, whatever.

Seriously?! Weird. But cool.

Emmie01
02-11-2008, 04:19 PM
oh, and thanks!

amyzzz
02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I didn't even ask for weed last year, but someone asked us if we wanted any. I'm assuming it was Randy. I didn't want any.

SaturatedSkillz
02-11-2008, 08:25 PM
whatever you come with just renumber you will have it with you all day

SuperInuit
02-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Another thing that you might want to bring:

salt

It's very hot, as many people have pointed out. Just drinking water, soda or beer does not replace the salt that you lose when you sweat. I found that bringing those little salt packets that you get as fast food places worked.

haha wierd, but somthing i'll do. thanks for the tip

Courtney
02-13-2008, 01:02 AM
If the idea of downing packets of pure salt repulses you and you're concerned about sweating, gatorade or similar would probably work too. Or you could get salt tablets in gel-coated pill form at any decent sporting supply store.

greghead
02-13-2008, 11:12 PM
If the idea of downing packets of pure salt repulses you and you're concerned about sweating, gatorade or similar would probably work too. Or you could get salt tablets in gel-coated pill form at any decent sporting supply store.

Or, just eat peanuts or saltines or any other food with salt in them. Downing salt packets is probably the grossest thing I can think of.