PDA

View Full Version : Sublime

brando4n82
02-07-2008, 01:35 PM
I want all of your thoughts on the band Sublime. The good, bad, and ugly.

they seem to be heavily underrated on this board.

JustSteve
02-07-2008, 01:38 PM
they were cool to me when i was a teenager and smoking pot...now, not so much. i saw them a few times back then, too, and they could be hit or miss depending on how drunk/high they were.

brando4n82
02-07-2008, 01:45 PM
I mean, theres no way around the fact that they are considered a "stoner" band. but they are really SO much more than that.

ps Im quite jealous you saw them live. I'm sure your spot on with the hit or miss live, but only because of inhibriation, which is still totally lame for fans that pay to come see them, but sober or just a few beers/puffs, i bet they fucking KILLLED.

GaragePoet
02-07-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm sure the main reason they're so under-rated on this board is because Brad's been dead for more than 10 years... you don't hear many people talking about Nirvana here, either.

bmack86
02-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Sublime got overplayed to death for me. I can't take them anymore. It's the sound of Frat parties and annoying people in lifted trucks now.

instinct
02-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Sublime is one of the most played out bands ever.. BUT, they are such a GREAT BAND, and they are one of my favorite bands of all time. Their music is still great though.

luckyface
02-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Easily one of my least favorite bands of all time. I have nor ever will understand how they were popular.

Hawkings
02-07-2008, 02:21 PM
love your sig Instinct:
COACHELLA VET: 1832, 1833, 1890, 1892, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

M Sparks
02-07-2008, 02:29 PM
I used to get them mixed up with 311. But now the difference is clear...311 is the one touring shitty venues wishing it was still 1997, and Sublime is the one with the rotting junkie corpse on the mic.

smoke
02-07-2008, 03:20 PM
i'll throw on 40oz to freedom every once in a while. can't really stand the self titled album anymore. second hand smoke is alright too. i'll agree that the music appealed more to me when i was younger.

Mr.Nipples
02-07-2008, 03:21 PM
one of my ex girlfriends thought it would be a great idea to get the old english sublime logo tattooed across her upper back...she was a real bitch but i cant help but feel bad for her...

brando4n82
02-07-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm sure the main reason they're so under-rated on this board is because Brad's been dead for more than 10 years... you don't hear many people talking about Nirvana here, either.

mm, good point. that puts me at ease.

thanks for the input everyone

dorkfish
02-07-2008, 05:23 PM
roughly 1/3rd of their songs were covers.

moviebruin
02-07-2008, 05:27 PM
sublime is a perfect example of a band that totally benefited from a tragic death. if they were still around today we would be laughing at the amount of cheesy garbage they would be putting out. But, as it is they are somehow considered like a cult fave band. underrated on this board maybe. overrated in music world in general most definately.

kreutz2112
02-07-2008, 05:28 PM

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15349&highlight=nirvana

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11852&highlight=nirvana

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4617&highlight=nirvana

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3091&highlight=nirvana

and thats just based on thread titles

Snakeface
02-07-2008, 05:43 PM
How can a cover be "their" song?

traviscanada
02-07-2008, 05:44 PM
They got overplayed for me too. I still like some of the faster songs.

emtgreg
02-07-2008, 05:52 PM
a few living members did a short show at a local bar here in slo...

it was entertaining...

the bassist looking hardcore by drinking jager out of the bottle like it was water was amusing...

menikmati
02-07-2008, 06:03 PM
way outplayed, way overrated...I can't stand Sublime at all....their music just seems so shallow to me....sing about how your mom smokes crack, how you like to smoke weed, how u get butt raped in prison....big deal, not funny or cool the second, third, 10,000th time around.

And dare I say this actually IS a band that got bigger and more popular due to a death?

brando4n82
02-07-2008, 06:24 PM
way outplayed, way overrated...I can't stand Sublime at all....their music just seems so shallow to me....sing about how your mom smokes crack, how you like to smoke weed, how u get butt raped in prison....big deal, not funny or cool the second, third, 10,000th time around.

And dare I say this actually IS a band that got bigger and more popular due to a death?

no way. guarentee theyd be just as if not more famous if Brad was still with us.

Boourns
02-07-2008, 07:53 PM
HELL YEA! I LUV KROQ CUZ DEY ALWAYZ PLAY "DATE RAPE" ON MY WAY 2 MY COURT-ORDERED NA MEETINS.

smoke
02-07-2008, 07:57 PM
date rape

oh LORD how i hate that song. wow, i mean seriously...those first few notes come on and i just cringe.

JustSteve
02-07-2008, 08:54 PM
it's weird to think that no doubt used to open for them, so seeing how big no doubt got i wouldn't be surprised if they attained that level for a short while...don't think it would have lasted long, though.

Sexecutioner
02-07-2008, 09:10 PM

im surprised you dont like them then, since your idols have the same thing going for them.

M Sparks
02-08-2008, 05:29 AM
date rape

oh LORD how i hate that song.

Holy shit, that's a SONG?

Fucking white-boy frat fake reggae shit. I bet the other guys in the band killed him. They knew they were going to fade fast, and if their singer died, all these retarded stoners would hail him as a genius and they'd be set for life.

Lemme guess, they keep releasing collections of shitty demos so these dopes will lap it up?

M Sparks
02-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Look at this retard
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E8ACXT59L._AA240_.jpg
I want to kick the rest of his stupid teeth out.

M Sparks
02-08-2008, 05:41 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LSjPF9hvL._AA240_.jpg

"Ohmygawddude! WE'RE ultimate Sublime fans! We gotta find $21.95!"

M Sparks
02-08-2008, 05:44 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31M68VZGHEL._AA180_.jpg

Soulless Record Exec #1 "So, should we slap together the usual sloppy cover?"

Soulless Record Exec #2 "Nah, these retards will buy anything. Just throw it in a case."

M Sparks
02-08-2008, 05:48 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411HAMKWW4L._AA240_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QOdeKgffL._AA240_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518RAXJZF7L._AA240_.jpg

"Dude, which one should we get?"

"Gotta get them all dude. Brad was a genius"

MiamiNate
02-08-2008, 05:51 AM
I used to really be into them. But that was when I was smoking tons.
I'll put them on every couple months and am reminded that they're a great band, to me at least. It sucks that they've been co-oped by some lame people, frats and shit, but I think-sober-they're all very talented musicians.

M Sparks
02-08-2008, 05:53 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WMNQ5KSML._AA240_.jpg

"Dude, I'll be like 'Dude, smell my armpit!'"

"And then I'll be like 'Dude, put your armpit down!'"

"And then I'll lean in like 'Dude, it's not that bad!"

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

"Dude...that'll be great"

M Sparks
02-08-2008, 05:55 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Oeb%2BH9grL._AA240_.jpg

How? Why?

M Sparks
02-08-2008, 05:57 AM
If you look up Sublime on Amazon, this comes up in the results.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rbOAHFE2L._AA240_.jpg

I'd be willing to wager it's more tolerable than a song called "Date Rape".

TerribleGibberish
02-08-2008, 08:46 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WMNQ5KSML._AA240_.jpg

"Dude, I'll be like 'Dude, smell my armpit!'"

"And then I'll be like 'Dude, put your armpit down!'"

"And then I'll lean in like 'Dude, it's not that bad!"

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

"Dude...that'll be great"
"And I'll use an absurd amount of fucking stupid emoticons that represent an even more moronic tech acronym that some 13 year old girl invented to get my point across". Then people will know without a doubt how cool you really are.

M Sparks
02-08-2008, 09:25 AM
"And I'll use an absurd amount of fucking stupid emoticons that represent an even more moronic tech acronym that some 13 year old girl invented to get my point across". Then people will know without a doubt how cool you really are.

No, there were actually 70 label reps literally rolling on the floor laughing at their wacky antics during this photo shoot. I'm sorry I didn't clarify.

instinct
02-08-2008, 02:27 PM
love your sig Instinct:

Thanks.. I'm the only true VET on this board.

instinct
02-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Ya'll be HATERZ!!!

Seriously though.. Sublime is loved by a TON of retarded people.. but their music is still good.. The Beatles are also loved by a lot of retarded people.. that doesn't mean their music sucks.

Boourns
02-08-2008, 02:36 PM
The difference between The Beatles and Sublime is Sublime's music fucking sucks.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-08-2008, 03:19 PM
40 oz to freedom was a great album, I cant help it if a bunch of idiots tried to copy the sound and just come off as frat boys like slightly stoopid but I really like that album. Are we actually comparing beatles and sublime?? how does that even correlate? Also on the beatles let us not forget how their early stuff was, just pop, I really am not into their stuff until rubber soul early end with revolver being the start of really good work. no debate that they are obviously a very important group

Sonicifyouwantit
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Sublime got overplayed to death for me. I can't take them anymore. It's the sound of Frat parties and annoying people in lifted trucks now.

agreed on the frat boy problem, they adopted it unfortunately. They were not the original fans though. date rape got so big but it was a while before the radio killed what was good about the group.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-08-2008, 03:30 PM
sublime is a perfect example of a band that totally benefited from a tragic death. if they were still around today we would be laughing at the amount of cheesy garbage they would be putting out. But, as it is they are somehow considered like a cult fave band. underrated on this board maybe. overrated in music world in general most definately.

they didnt benefit in my book, by the time their self titled album came out they were trying to fit into that kroq sound, oh well, but I will always love 40 oz to freedom. Its a fun album and was/is perfect for those backyard bbq's now and again. Nothing that has to be played over and over or get crazy about of course.

M Sparks
02-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Seriously though.. Sublime is loved by a TON of retarded people.. but their music is still good.. The Beatles are also loved by a lot of retarded people.. that doesn't mean their music sucks.

Here's the thing...Sublime were fine. Childish lyrics (at least from what I've heard), but musically OK. They sounded like every other ska-type band of the time period, and I certainly didn't have any strong feelings about them.

When a person like you says "Hey, I always liked Sublime", my attitude is "Hmmm...OK, you're entitled to your opinion. I can see why some people would like it."

But when a person says "Hey, I wanna hear what everyone has to say about Sublime because I love Sublime and no one ever talks about Sublime, and I think Sublime is so underrated, and look I even have a Sublime cover as my avatar..."- It's just an invitation for a beating. I mean, what's the point? And how could they possibly be "underrated"? They released a couple of competent albums 14 years ago, and people are still driving around with Sublime stickets plastered on their car, If anything, they are one of the most OVERrated acts around. That doesn't mean they suck.

There's a mid 90's band I really love called Bicycle. They only did one album. I bring them up once in a while when it's relevant to the conversation. (Like now.) But I'm not going to start a thread out of nowhere asking people what they think about Bicycle. I personally loved them, and think they ARE really underrrated- actually, they aren't rated at all by most people. But I'm not so self centered to think that they are a relevant topic.

And why is this still in the Coachella Discussion instead of the music lounge? A singer who died 5 years before the first Coachella- I can't see how that has anything to do with anything.

So Sublime are...fine. I'm not stoned 24/7...maybe I would appreciate them more if I were. But I love to pick on dead drug addicts and I love to kick Brando in the balls.

Ritestyl
02-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Sublime is classic and Slightly Stoopid deserve to carry the torch, get over yourself.

M Sparks
02-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I will always love 40 oz to freedom. Its a fun album and was/is perfect for those backyard bbq's now and again. Nothing that has to be played over and over or get crazy about of course.

See...THIS is a valid opinion about Sublime. You like them because you think it's fun. How can anyone argue with that?

But someone who says they are their favorite band just has bad taste in music.

TerribleGibberish
02-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Sublime is classic and Slightly Stoopid deserve to carry the torch, get over yourself.

Slightly Stoopid is the worst band I have heard in the last ten years. I would rather listen to Mike Tyson sing "We are the world" with marbles in his mouth. They are terrible.

Encaitare
02-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Where there are stoners, there will always be Sublime. I live in Santa Cruz and I shit you not I hear Sublime on the radio at LEAST twice a day, and I only listen to the radio during my 2 hour commutes back and forth to work. Makes me think maybe I should cave and get an ipod.

Ritestyl
02-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Slightly Stoopid is the worst band I have heard in the last ten years. I would rather listen to Mike Tyson sing "We are the world" with marbles in his mouth. They are terrible.

Lurker fail!

Blinken
02-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Where there are stoners, there will always be Sublime. I live in Santa Cruz and I shit you not I hear Sublime on the radio at LEAST twice a day, and I only listen to the radio during my 2 hour commutes back and forth to work. Makes me think maybe I should cave and get an ipod.

2 hours, do you have to go up the 17? that is a fucked up commute

instinct
02-08-2008, 05:42 PM
The difference between The Beatles and Sublime is Sublime's music fucking sucks.

I wasn't comparing their music.

Boourns
02-08-2008, 05:53 PM
You put them in the same sentence.

instinct
02-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Sublime, Rage Against the Machine, Dave Chapelle, Leonardo DiCaprio, Paris Hilton, The Doors The Beatles and Donnie Darko.

Astrid
02-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I used to get way down on sublime in my early years, but that was before I really knew shit about what kind of music I like. I still have a soft spot for them, 40 oz is good for driving down the pch. Waiting for my Ruca is a great song.

I think the general distaste has developed because of how many people shit a brick over how great they are. They weren't musical pioneers, this is obvious. But I wouldn't say they were bad at what they were trying to do.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-08-2008, 06:19 PM

that put a great word picture in my head, haha thanks! Good ole Tyson

mrdude5699
02-08-2008, 07:48 PM
They are the best band ever when you are 16 and you've just started smoking pot, now it's seems good for a nostalgic value, but little else....

Boourns
02-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Sublime, Rage Against the Machine, Dave Chapelle, Leonardo DiCaprio, Paris Hilton, The Doors The Beatles and Donnie Darko.

Donnie Darko sent Paris Hilton back in time to give herpes to all of Sublime.

M Sparks
02-09-2008, 06:51 AM
I think the general distaste has developed because of how many people shit a brick over how great they are. They weren't musical pioneers, this is obvious. But I wouldn't say they were bad at what they were trying to do.

This is probably the truest and most objective sentence in this thread.

You know, those of us who don't live in SoCal probably have a different perspective, because honestly, most of us had never heard of them until after Brad was dead. I know 40oz was popular over there, but elsewhere, it didn't really start popping up until '96-'97.

M Sparks
02-09-2008, 07:03 AM
I used to get them mixed up with 311. But now the difference is clear...311 is the one touring shitty venues wishing it was still 1997, and Sublime is the one with the rotting junkie corpse on the mic.

I jinxed myself with all my bad vibes. Picked up the local paper yesterday, and 311 are coming to town. Even weirder, they are playing at The Skydome. Which holds like 16,000 for basketball games. I think for concerts, they just use the floor, so it's probably more like 6-8,000, but still.

Attendence at the last 4 shows I've seen in my town-

Babyland- maybe 75 people
English Beat- about 250
The Rentals- 100...many left after Copeland.
Rob Zombie- 1000 (small venue sellout.)
Roger Clyne (I had free tix)- 3000

Note...that's like 4 years worth of shows. That's literally every show I had any interest in.

But 311 gets the Skydome. And Badfish ("a really cool Sublime tribute band") is coming to town too. Instant Karma's a bitch.

JSam67
02-09-2008, 07:15 AM
I've always liked Sublime, but I enjoyed them a lot more when I was in high school. "40 Oz. to Freedom" is still good enough to listen to every now and then. I just hate how popular they got with fans who also blast DMB, JJ, and Phish at parties (mostly douche bag college dudes). Those types of fans have diminished my interest in them as the years have passed, but I'll always like/appreciate them. They knew what they were doing.

gratytrainridesagain
02-09-2008, 07:33 AM
They knew they were going to fade fast, and if their singer died, all these retarded stoners would hail him as a genius and they'd be set for life.

Lemme guess, they keep releasing collections of shitty demos so these dopes will lap it up?

While I agree with you they do the same thing with a lot of credible musicians, not that I think Sublime falls into that category. Hendrix is the first that comes to mind.

Dave Gravy
02-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Quit hatin' on Sublime yo!

Dave Gravy
02-09-2008, 09:01 AM
No, really. Fuck Sublime.

brando4n82
02-09-2008, 11:24 AM
But when a person says "Hey, I wanna hear what everyone has to say about Sublime because I love Sublime and no one ever talks about Sublime, and I think Sublime is so underrated, and look I even have a Sublime cover as my avatar..."- It's just an invitation for a beating. I mean, what's the point? And how could they possibly be "underrated"? They released a couple of competent albums 14 years ago, and people are still driving around with Sublime stickets plastered on their car, If anything, they are one of the most OVERrated acts around. That doesn't mean they suck.

There's a mid 90's band I really love called Bicycle. They only did one album. I bring them up once in a while when it's relevant to the conversation. (Like now.) But I'm not going to start a thread out of nowhere asking people what they think about Bicycle. I personally loved them, and think they ARE really underrrated- actually, they aren't rated at all by most people. But I'm not so self centered to think that they are a relevant topic.

And why is this still in the Coachella Discussion instead of the music lounge? A singer who died 5 years before the first Coachella- I can't see how that has anything to do with anything.

I got exactly what i wanted out of this thread. I dont even have to respond to anything else because its been said by someone else. it was a succuess. I honestly dont remember putting it in the Coachella section =/ but youre right, it belongs no where near there. It's fine right here in the babble section.

I dont see why you think its so self centered to make a thread to discuss a band you like. Unless you were referring to the fact that it was in the Coachella section fine, but the the music lounge is there for these types of threads. If you want to call me an idiot for miscategorizing this thread which was an honest mistake, be my guest. I am going to check out the Bicycle band you mentioned.

bmack86
02-09-2008, 01:14 PM

Where's the verb, man?

BillyCrystal
02-10-2008, 05:08 PM
sublime is a pretty good band, but not as good as a lot fo people act like they are. i used to like them, but it's hard not to start to hate on a fairly mediocre/good band when you constantly hear douches talk about how amazing they are.

brando4n82
02-11-2008, 01:53 PM
sublime is a pretty good band, but not as good as a lot fo people act like they are. i used to like them, but it's hard not to start to hate on a fairly mediocre/good band when you constantly hear douches talk about how amazing they are.

i know whatcha mean, but its also kind of pompous to disreguard a band because people with low/bro IQ's enjoy their music.

ps that comment wasnt directed at you, just merely stating my opinion

RageAgainst
02-11-2008, 04:35 PM
all of you haters need to take the time too listen to some of their songs that are not played every 2 seconds on the radio,like 5446 thats my number and ball and chain,they have a great and innovative sound.
RIP SUBLIME

Mr.Nipples
02-11-2008, 04:39 PM
all of you haters need to take the time too listen to some of their songs that are not played every 2 seconds on the radio,like 5446 thats my number...

thats not their song...sublime sucks by the way...

menikmati
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM
how many times would of Sublime played Bonnaroo so far? Too many I think.

vinylmartyr
02-11-2008, 06:05 PM
depeche mode is bigger than sublime

morelifefucker
02-12-2008, 10:18 AM
sublime is the shit. people that hate dont know any better.screw em. it wasnt meant for them anyways.

Mardigan
01-12-2010, 10:14 AM
I disagree with Sparks when he said (Ignorantly) "Whoever says Sublime is their favorite band has bad taste in music" you say this as if this is a fact and you know all. Well Sublime IS my favorite band, sure they have some shitty songs, but they have a lot of great ones, Sublime had it's own sound and whoever says "they sound like every other ska band back in the day" is wrong. One because sublime wasn't a ska band they may be titled under that genre but the only song I have heard that's remotely close to ska is Wrong Way, ska would be like..Mustard plug or The Toasters.

I love 40 oz., Robbin' the hood was okay, they had a lot of stupid shit on that album but it was okay. I'll tell what I have a problem with...... kids getting into sublime from Guitar hero and shit. That just pisses me off

SoulDischarge
01-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I love all the hate in this thread. Keep Sublime hate alive.

Bud Luster
01-12-2010, 11:32 AM
I'll tell what I have a problem with...... kids getting into sublime from Guitar hero and shit. That just pisses me off

Yeah, cuz real fans get into bands from the radio!

rage patton
01-12-2010, 02:59 PM
There seems to be 2 sorts of polar oposites in this thread. Those that hate Sublime and those that treat Sublime like they were the second coming of Christ. Im somewhere in the middle here. To me, Sublime are great summer time driving music. That is the only time I listen to them, but I thoroughly enjoy it. If I tried to listen to them right now, I couldn't do it. I used to listen to Sublime all the time in high school, but I am at a weird point where I have kind of out grown them... but still enjoy. That is why I reserve them for summertime driving. Because it just fits perfectly.

Sublime weren't groundbreak. They never did anything no band has ever done before, and they never claimed too. Those who claim otherwise don't know what they are talking about. But I also think the amount of hate Sublime gets on here is not warranted.

With all that being said, the new "Sublime" is an abomination. It should not be allowed to happen and I hope Bradley's estate take their name away from them like they are trying too. I don't have a problem with them touring and playing sets of all Sublime covers... but without Brad, they aren't Sublime and they need to realize this.

Norwalkguy
01-12-2010, 03:11 PM
the only thing worse than sublime...are sublimes fans...period...

psychic friend
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM
I still have that 40oz sublime beer.. unopened.

prettydirtything
01-12-2010, 03:39 PM
I kinda lump them in with the libertines... Not because they sound the same but because of their career arcs. A band that really could have matured and defined their own sound, and been a great touring band with a robust catalog to pull from, but were buried by drugs and a shitty work ethic. As it stands, each had two really solid albums, but could easily be forgotten for not doing anything truly unique. I will just fire up "Up the Bracket" or "40oz" and feel happy, not giving a shit if they were the second coming of christ or had the approval of the 7" inch colored single collectors.

M Sparks
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
I disagree with Sparks...

I goofed on some band for a few minutes 18 months ago, forgot about it completely 17 months and 28 days ago, and you join a message board today specifically to rebutt me?

A Sublime fan living in the past...what a refreshing change. :rolleyes

Mardigan
01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
That's exactly why I joined.

Mardigan
01-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Yeah, cuz real fans get into bands from the radio!

Yea....

psycobetabuckdown
01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Are you joking or do you really agree with Bud's sentiment?

M Sparks
01-13-2010, 11:27 AM
the only thing worse than sublime...are sublimes fans...period...

Sublime fans are a 1000x worse than Sublime. There's gotta be a few things in between....like most forms of cancer.

Sublime was...fine. Heard them on the radio last night and didn't turn it off. They have their place. The problem is the burn-out frat boys who got stuck there.

Sublime minus overdose equals Harvey Danger.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-13-2010, 01:37 PM
"Flagpole Sitta" has unfortunately found its way back into regular rotation on the radio here recently. Weird.

greghead
01-13-2010, 03:53 PM
To me, Sublime are great summer time driving music. That is the only time I listen to them, but I thoroughly enjoy it.

This.

40 oz is a decent enough record. I used to love it but, as Josh stated, I only pop it in during the summer when I'm driving through the desert with the windows down.

All the "bro" responses (courtesy of MSpark, Boourns, et. al.) are identical to the way brahs dog on hipsters in thick-framed glasses and cardigans. Let's keep the hate alive, people, tolerance is for faggots.

T-REV
01-13-2010, 03:56 PM

Nonsense.

M Sparks
01-13-2010, 06:04 PM
"Flagpole Sitta" has unfortunately found its way back into regular rotation on the radio here recently. Weird.

Which...is fine. I'm never going to not hum along.

But they shouldn't be anyone's favorite band. And they aren't. Because they are all alive.

nbvcide
01-14-2010, 03:11 AM
the Sublime reunion at Smoke Out in October was easily the best set of the two-day, 3 stage festival.. and there were dozens of amazing acts..

if i made a list of the top 10 BANDS i saw in 2009, Sublime would be in it.. if i eliminated Coachella acts, they'd probably be in the top 5.. and i saw hundreds of acts last year..

i'd say it was the funnest, non-coachella set i saw last year.. and i'm not a bro nor a huge Sublime fan, but i would go see them again in a heartbeat.. everyone will hate on me for saying it, but everyone who was actually there will agree with me that it was amazing..

Mardigan
01-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Loving Sublime as much as I do, I do agree they have a lot of shitty songs like Thrash Out, Date Rape and many more, but a lot of bands do, they just needed more time to progress. Sorta like Slightly Stoopid if you listen to their album "Cronchitis" it's total shit. But "Closer to the sun" and, "Everything you need" was fantastic.

Mardigan
01-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Are you joking or do you really agree with Bud's sentiment?

More so than a video game yea?

brando4n82
01-14-2010, 01:51 PM
with my history of talking to people that hate on Sublime, it's either for 2 reasons:

1. they hate the fans so much that they dont even want to be affiliated with Sublime.

2. Because over 70% of their songs are cover songs. I'm there are still songs that I think are sublime originals and are not. most of their catalog are cover songs, but who cares?

not once have I heard someone say they are bad musicians and dont know what they are doing. So I've never really heard a valid excuse for hating sublime....

Watch. This thread will get flooded with people saying they suck at playing music blah blah blah, all from a bunch of people whose opinions mean nothing to me. that is all.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
i don't think they suck as musicians, i think they wrote mostly annoying, extremely unappealing songs

weezy f baby
01-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Sublime was cool when i was in high school. But i think people who still listen to Sublime tend to be lifeless stoners with no taste in current music. People who go to "kickbacks" and "keggers" who just wanna "chill" listen to Sublime... and I say that as an insult.

brando4n82
01-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Sublime was cool when i was in high school. But i think people who still listen to Sublime tend to be lifeless stoners with no taste in current music. People who go to "kickbacks" and "keggers" who just wanna "chill" listen to Sublime... and I say that as an insult.

this proves my last post

dorkfish
01-22-2010, 05:59 PM
new official name = Sublime With Rome

rage patton
01-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Really? Talk about uncreative.

dorkfish
01-22-2010, 06:10 PM
yup

rage patton
01-22-2010, 06:12 PM
On second thought, this doesn't really surprise me.

magenta
01-22-2010, 07:02 PM
http://fitjohnny.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/hater_tots1.jpg

M Sparks
01-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Heard "Smoke 2 Joints" on the radio the other day. Why does it start with the sound of a bong hit? The guys smokes two joints before, during, and/or after nearly every activity. When does he have the time to hit the bong? And why?

Kropladop
01-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Heard "Smoke 2 Joints" on the radio the other day. Why does it start with the sound of a bong hit? The guys smokes two joints before, during, and/or after nearly every activity. When does he have the time to hit the bong? And why?

Theres always time to hit the bong. ALWAYS. and why? are you sure you didnt mean why not?

MaryS
01-26-2010, 02:43 PM
An entire thread discussing the merrits of a reggae fusion band....

Sublime, like UB40s and many others are not meant to be deep or life changing, they are meant to be fun background music.

In context, I think Sublime is fun, they suceeded in the genre they placed themselves in.