PDA

View Full Version : Is Parking a Pain? Are Shuttles really available?

jackdnls
02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
This is my first time to Coachella.
Some friends and I are staying at a condo in Palm Springs (not overly close - but free). Anyone have experience getting shuttle service to and from the event? Taxis would be too expensive. On the Coachella site it mentioned Super Shuttle, but I called them and they said they don't have service anywhere NEAR the area at all.

Also, the only reason why I'm looking into shuttles is because I heard parking is a nightmare. If this is not the case I suppose I could just drive.

Any info would be appreciated.

Courtney
02-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Yes; no.

Courtney
02-07-2008, 10:11 AM
In response to your title.

Courtney
02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
From my small base of knowledge.

Courtney
02-07-2008, 10:13 AM
From previous experience, which may not accurately predict future conditions.

jackdnls
02-07-2008, 10:16 AM
You wouldnt be trying to run up your post count...

would you?

:)

Thanks for the info though.

Courtney
02-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Maybe :cat

I'm surprised that entrepreneurial hotel managers or concierges haven't set up any shuttle services, that I know of. It seems like there would be a lot of demand. I guess the problem is that there isn't really any issue with competition for guests, so they don't need to go the extra mile by offering a shuttle service.

boarderwoozel3
02-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Parking isn't a problem if you camp.

jackdnls
02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Camping isn't really an option.
While it would have been fun years ago, this trip is a bachelor party for an old college friend. We are 40 now. We've all done plenty of sleeping in tents next to thousands of people and passing out on top of our cars. Been there, done that. We prefer drifting off in a bed now and waking up to a nice spicy bloody mary :)

boarderwoozel3
02-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Fair enough. I've only camped at Coachella so my knowledge if the parking scene is limited. What I do know from driving into town in the morning is if you get there around 11am you'll be fine. I'd suggest getting there a bit early. Apparently if you arrive past noon-ish you'll be waiting in a huge traffic jam for a while. And getting in the venue when there is less people is sweet.

BTW- Coachella is a great bachelor party idea. Good call.

neverclever
02-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Get there early to park. There is long lines right around the open of the festival to get in. So, 10am or so is good.

That's not even to mention the lines getting in. If you've got willcall get there at like 6am Friday. Srsly.

When you leave expect to sit in your car for a long time. If you're lucky you can find a way out but seriously just be patient. Expect it. Bring snacks, a playmate and water to pass time. Or just nap in your car for an hour or two. Yes an hour or two. Of course if you leave before the end of the fest, like 11:45pm you can almost get out right away.

As for shuttles? Uh. Bikes are the new shuttle.

Sigur Ros Stache
02-07-2008, 11:02 AM
I drive in from Palm Desert and while traffic is a bitch I find parking to be relatively easy. This is my fourth and have never had actual parking problems which surprised me.

Bit of advice...don't take the hwy to the festival...MISTAKE!

arie117
02-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Parking isn't a problem if you camp.

unless you leave and get back to the site after 11 in the morning

higgybaby23
02-07-2008, 11:18 AM
My parking advice is to take a serious look around and really make sure you know where you parked your vehicle. The lighting in the lots is dim and most of the lots look the same. My friends and I spent a considerable amount of time in 06 trying to find our car after the show.

smoke
02-07-2008, 11:22 AM
no shuttles. it would probably be best to rent a car.

if you look at a map, you can find alternate ways to the polo fields that will have less traffic. getting in is not as bad as getting out. at least getting in they have people directing traffic.

getting out is pure chaos. no organization...just a total free for all. to avoid traffic at night, you either have to leave before the headliner finishes, or sit in your car for about an hour until the parking lot clears out.

meyouseek
02-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Parking is easy during most of the day, I don't think we've ever spent more than 20 minutes getting from the fwy to a parking spot. Yeah, there's probably a rush around noon... but I've never been in it. The long walk to the gate can be sucky if it's really hot out, but bring some cold beverages and you'll be there in no time.

Getting out at the end of the night is a crapshoot. If you're parked in one of the BFE lots you'll get out quick. If you got there early in the day you might be stuck for a while. I've found less-traveled back ways out of the lot more than once that saved us some time. Keep your eyes open and maybe bribe a parking dude to reveal the secret exit.

Trailmix
02-07-2008, 11:28 AM
This is my first time to Coachella.
Some friends and I are staying at a condo in Palm Springs (not overly close - but free). Anyone have experience getting shuttle service to and from the event? Taxis would be too expensive. On the Coachella site it mentioned Super Shuttle, but I called them and they said they don't have service anywhere NEAR the area at all.

Also, the only reason why I'm looking into shuttles is because I heard parking is a nightmare. If this is not the case I suppose I could just drive.

Any info would be appreciated.

I have gone 3 years and drove all three. Depending upon what time you get to the show you will have to sit in traffic but parking itself is not a pain. If you stay to the end every night expect to sit in traffic especially Sunday night. Overall though I have not found it to be overally painful except when you really need a bathroom!

psychic friend
02-07-2008, 11:32 AM
On the Coachella site it mentioned Super Shuttle, but I called them and they said they don't have service anywhere NEAR the area at all.

we dont say there is shuttle service, we simply listed some 760 area code taxi companies found on the internets.

weird that they have a local number though huh?

AbundantChoice
02-07-2008, 03:22 PM
There will be a *ton* of other people coming into the festival from Palm Springs. I'd try to set up a rideshare with someone staying near you before the festival through the board (i.e. "we'll pay you fifty bucks if we can hitch a ride there and back each day" or whatever), or failing that just hit that huge highway that runs through the middle of Palm Springs and try to hitch with someone else heading to the festival.

Last year we gave some random people we met at the festival rides *back* into Palm Springs each nite of the festival since we had some space in the car. Once you're in the festival ask around and you can probably find someone heading your way.

Tijuana
02-07-2008, 03:29 PM
If you know how to park, parking is the funnest part of the festival. There are allways a bunch of people running around looking for their cars after the show is over. The problem is that when you get there it's daytime and you think you marked a spot where your car is at. Then when you leave it's pitch dark and couple that with a few drinks (or drug of choice) and it's a fun time watching all those stupid people walking around crying and yelling because they can't find their cars.

One year I just simply did not want to deal with all the traffic... so we turned on the radio and just waited for traffic to die down... there was a gray Nissan Sentra next to us and I swear to God that at least 20 people tried to open it thinking that it was their car... when the people that did own the car finally found it, I could hear them say how they had seen at least 15 other cars just like theirs and they thought they had found it... classic parking dilemas... LOL

fishboy
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
I've set up taxi service from Palm Springs in years past. Call around and you can probably book a few vans for your group.

After the show, be prepared to fend off all sorts of drunk/crazy/desperate people trying to take or climb into your cab. Best to set up a pick-up point a ways off from the entrance.