PDA

View Full Version : Coachella or Bonnaroo?

evilmushroompie
02-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Coachella or Bonnaroo?

jtovar21
02-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Coachella, on this one. Ive seen Pearl Jam 5 times, so I can live without them again, even though they are amazing live. Metallica ( eh.. rather see Kraftwerk), Jack Johnson ( LOL official every fest headliner of 2008) , Kanye ( we already had him back in '06)

Most of Roo's decent bands have already played Coachella, too bad you missed them if you've just started going to the festival the past couple years.

PassiveTheory
02-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Coachella even though PJ > JJ AND RW.

The lineup they have is nowhere near good enough to convince me to fly out to the middle of bumfuck, Tennessee...

Boourns
02-05-2008, 08:51 PM
If Bonnaroo had R.E.M. instead of Pearl Jam and someone better than Metallica, or if Led Zeppelin were actually playing, I'd go.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2008, 09:04 PM
COACHELLA COACHELLA COACHELLA

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I knew it would be more of the same and lesser acts at bonn including JJ but no one wanted to believe it. JJ also gona be at sasquatch and all points west

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2008, 09:05 PM
its a mash up of coachella and vegoose, although there are some adds I love such as Sigur Ros who will get a long set time

orbit
02-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Thinking about Sigur Ros playing a 3 hour set makes me wanna go.

I'll stop thinking about it.

JSam67
02-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Sigur Ros is really the only draw for me. But I'll see them some other time. Coachella has a much better lineup this year, imo.

color
02-05-2008, 09:50 PM
coachella > bonnaroo

3/5 of the artists i'd like to see in the bonnaroo lineup that i haven't already seen are hip hop, and the other two are vampire weekend and sigur ros.

i don't see how this concert is worth ticket price

Somewhat Damaged
02-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Pearl Jam, their only headliner I would consider seeing, is vastly inferior to Portishead, whom I've been waiting to see for almost a decade. I may have cared about Metallica in '97 but I couldn't give a shit now. If I were to see them, it would be simply to say that I had done so, the same as Roger Waters (although Randy's sold me on how great his set's going to be that I'm starting to look forward to it). With Kraftwerk constituting a co-headliner on Saturday, they tower over Kanye West. Headliners advantage: Coachella. (This would still be the case for me even if Bonnaroo landed Led Zeppelin. I know a bunch of people would cream themselves but I didn't even care all that much about Rage Against the Machine's reunion and I actually own a couple of their albums.)
The only artists Bonnaroo has that I'm interested in: Sigur Ros, MIA, Iron and Wine, The Swell Season, !!!, Aimee Mann, Ladytron, Ghostland Observatory, Jose Gonzalez, Vampire Weekend, and MGMT. Of those, only Sigur Ros, Iron and Wine, !!!, Aimee Mann, Ladytron, Ghostland Observatory, and Jose Gonzalez aren't at Coachella this year. Of those, only Aimee Mann and Ghostland Observatory haven't been at Coachella in the past year or two. (Wait, has Iron and Wine been at Coachella recently? If not, okay, that's 3 acts unique to Bonnaroo.) I saw Ghostland Observatory at Vegoose and while I enjoyed their set, I'm looking forward to Modeselektor, Deadmau5, Booka Shade, Boyz Noise, Simian Mobile Disco, and Does It Offend You, Yeah? lots, lots more. And even though Sigur Ros and Ladytron are great acts (funny, they were conflicting with one another at Coachella in '06, along with Damian Marley), I'd much rather see Fatboy Slim, Sasha and Digweed, THE STREETS, Hot Chip (even if they are a repeat act), Chromeo, Santogold, and New Young Pony Club. Coachella, even in a year that some consider weak because of its Friday headliner, is so far beyond Bonnaroo that we shouldn't even be having this discussion.

hypervera
02-05-2008, 10:58 PM
pearl jam>portishead

paulb
02-05-2008, 11:01 PM
i voted Coachella.... I like alot of acts at Bonnaroo, but Coachella just has so many more, and not just headliners.

Cpt. Funkaho
02-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Seems like Bonnaroo got a lot more of the good mid-tier bands that Coachella is missing- Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Sigur Rós, Broken Social Scene - but overall I get a vibe of Bonnaroo midtier '08=Coachella midtier '07 (Willie, Gogol, Lupe, !!!, José Gonzalez).

Plus the electronic acts, with a few exceptions, are shit compared to Coachella this year.

And for headliners, I'll take Portishead/Kraftwerk/The Verve/Roger Waters over Pearl Jam/Metallica/Jack Johnson/Kanye every day of the week, and twice on Tuesday.

Coachella.

phxunderground
02-06-2008, 03:52 AM
I've already got my tickets for Coachella but 2 things Bonnaroo has that Coachella does not is Sigur Ros and Aimee Mann. I've saw Sigur Ros at Coach 2 years ago and they were brilliant.

scoop49er
02-06-2008, 05:11 AM
i thought about it and here is what i came up with: just my opinion/

headliners: bonnaroo. 3 major arena headliners and jj. coachella does have roger waters and portishead/kraftwerk combo, and jj. but the appeal and flash goes to bonnaroo.

2nd tier groups: to be able to go to a festival and see robert plant, the allman brothers band, b.b. king, and willie nelson, all legends in their genre, is amazing to me. it would be very nostalgic. coachella doesnt have that in thier second tier. plus bonnaroo has solid live artists like m.i.a, talib kweli, and the raconteurs. bonnaroo wins.

rest of the lineup: coachella. coachella has so many good sahara type artists on the bill this year. plus having a ton of up and coming artists that dont seem attractive now but once this is over, im sure they will grow in stature. coachella did a amazing job with the rest of the lineup.. coachella wins.

overall pick: if i was the type of person who shows up at 3pm just to catch the headliners, id go to bonnaroo. but because i show up at 11am, drink a few in the parking lot , and stay from the beginning to the end each night, i want alot of substance over the day. coachella wins on that point alone. so i pick coachella but not by much. obviously im in sacramento so its much easier to go to coachella. but if i was in the middle of both fests, it would be a tough choice. but i can catch pj and metallica on their own tours if i wanted to. coachella has too many bands that i would not go see anywhere else but a festival so coachella, u still have me! :) but please work on ur headliner choices. thank you.

scoop49er
02-06-2008, 05:16 AM
Pearl Jam, their only headliner I would consider seeing, is vastly inferior to Portishead, whom I've been waiting to see for almost a decade. I may have cared about Metallica in '97 but I couldn't give a shit now. If I were to see them, it would be simply to say that I had done so, the same as Roger Waters (although Randy's sold me on how great his set's going to be that I'm starting to look forward to it). With Kraftwerk constituting a co-headliner on Saturday, they tower over Kanye West. Headliners advantage: Coachella. (This would still be the case for me even if Bonnaroo landed Led Zeppelin. I know a bunch of people would cream themselves but I didn't even care all that much about Rage Against the Machine's reunion and I actually own a couple of their albums.)
The only artists Bonnaroo has that I'm interested in: Sigur Ros, MIA, Iron and Wine, The Swell Season, !!!, Aimee Mann, Ladytron, Ghostland Observatory, Jose Gonzalez, Vampire Weekend, and MGMT. Of those, only Sigur Ros, Iron and Wine, !!!, Aimee Mann, Ladytron, Ghostland Observatory, and Jose Gonzalez aren't at Coachella this year. Of those, only Aimee Mann and Ghostland Observatory haven't been at Coachella in the past year or two. (Wait, has Iron and Wine been at Coachella recently? If not, okay, that's 3 acts unique to Bonnaroo.) I saw Ghostland Observatory at Vegoose and while I enjoyed their set, I'm looking forward to Modeselektor, Deadmau5, Booka Shade, Boyz Noise, Simian Mobile Disco, and Does It Offend You, Yeah? lots, lots more. And even though Sigur Ros and Ladytron are great acts (funny, they were conflicting with one another at Coachella in '06, along with Damian Marley), I'd much rather see Fatboy Slim, Sasha and Digweed, THE STREETS, Hot Chip (even if they are a repeat act), Chromeo, Santogold, and New Young Pony Club. Coachella, even in a year that some consider weak because of its Friday headliner, is so far beyond Bonnaroo that we shouldn't even be having this discussion.

i dont agree with the headliner part. but coachella is our baby so ican see how people get defensive.

Ardentbiscuit
02-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Coachella all the way.

sbessiso
02-06-2008, 05:43 AM
how bout both?

scoop49er
02-06-2008, 05:52 AM
if i ahd the money, i would do both but because my concert budget includes lots of other summer one day festivals, ill stick with coachella.

musicfan66
02-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Coachella wins by a landslide imo. I've seen Pearl jam now about 4 or 5 times (most recently at Lolla last year), and don't really need to see them again. I've seen Metallica a few times, and although I thought they were good don't feel a compelling need to see them again either. Portishead, Roger Waters, The Verve and Kraftwerk are better than 90% of the stuff at Bonnaroo. As much as I love Sigur Ros, I don't think they are good in a festival setting. I was let down after seeing them in 2006 at Coachella. I think they are much, much better in a symphony hall or more intimate indoor venue.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-06-2008, 05:54 AM
No Contest: Coachella...

Kraftwerk will blow Metallica off the stage with their laptops on stand by....

Somewhat Damaged
02-06-2008, 08:03 AM
As much as I love Sigur Ros, I don't think they are good in a festival setting. I was let down after seeing them in 2006 at Coachella. I think they are much, much better in a symphony hall or more intimate indoor venue.

Agreed. I left after half an hour into their set at Coachella. They had some technical difficulties early on, the crowd I was around seemed like they were waiting for Depeche Mode and didn't appreciate having to sit through Sigur Ros, my friends were at Damian Marley, and I feel like dancing a lot at Coachella which made me yearn for Ladytron. I love Sigur Ros, not so much that I'd travel to LA or Red Rocks to see them, but I'd kill to see them up in Phoenix.

hypervera: if you like Pearl Jam more than Portishead, hey, that's fine. But you've gotta admit that Portishead is a bigger "get" for the simple fact they haven't played America in over a decade. Pearl Jam is reputed for how much they tour and as mentioned numerous times, they headlined Lollapalooza just last year. If you really want to see Pearl Jam, it's fairly easy to do so. Such is not the case for Portishead.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Agreed. I left after half an hour into their set at Coachella. They had some technical difficulties early on, the crowd I was around seemed like they were waiting for Depeche Mode and didn't appreciate having to sit through Sigur Ros, my friends were at Damian Marley, and I feel like dancing a lot at Coachella which made me yearn for Ladytron. I love Sigur Ros, not so much that I'd travel to LA or Red Rocks to see them, but I'd kill to see them up in Phoenix.

hypervera: if you like Pearl Jam more than Portishead, hey, that's fine. But you've gotta admit that Portishead is a bigger "get" for the simple fact they haven't played America in over a decade. Pearl Jam is reputed for how much they tour and as mentioned numerous times, they headlined Lollapalooza just last year. If you really want to see Pearl Jam, it's fairly easy to do so. Such is not the case for Portishead.

When Sigur Ros were a new band, festivals were easy for them ( the 1st setting I saw them at was Coachella 01)...6 songs on their 2nd album was easy...but now they have almost 5 albums under their belt (They have a new one on the way) so it is much harder for them to pull a festival setting unless they are given the time they need for performance and set up....I was really bummed after Coach 06 performance because (for them) it was a terrible show until the last 2 songs (Coachella 06 is one of my worst because I missed Daft Punk too)...and you could see the frustration on Jonsi's face through the first couple of tracks...it could be fun if Bonnaroo gives them a midnight to 230am slot...that would be a PERFECT setting for them...if they ever came back to Coachella? Give them the Outdoor Theater from 9:30 to End...or close out the main stage as a non headliner...

faxman75
02-06-2008, 08:28 AM
I love it. People taking this as a legit poll. It's on the coachella board #1. I would have been worried if it was a tie because I think that would mean most folks perferred the Roo but at the end of the day the Coachella fans perfer Coachella and the Roo fans like the dirty Roo fest.

Everyone is happy. The roo fest really doesn't intrigue me as much as I thought it would. There are less bands there than at Coachella that I want to see though. I don't know that I would have said the same in years past but this year belongs to coachella.

betao
02-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Sigur Ros playing at Bonnaroo is like Kraftwerk playing at this year's coachella.

saving grace.

hypervera
02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
No Contest: Coachella...

Kraftwerk will blow Metallica off the stage with their laptops on stand by....

yeah laptops kicking gibson les paul guitars!!!!!!

well i preffer a gibson

KungFuJoe
02-06-2008, 11:51 AM
yeah, the only thing truly appealing about Bonnaroo are the longer set times.

If I lived closer to there I'd be happy to go, but I still prefer Coachella's line-up. I may have gone to Bonnaroo this year as well if APW hadn't been announced.

Sexecutioner
02-06-2008, 12:17 PM
i wish i could mix and match. the roo doesnt have any good djs, but coachella almost has too many. pearl jam kicks ass, but so does portishead. im not sold on roger waters yet. i was pretty excited till i saw some recent youtube footage and he didnt sound that great. it actually sounded like he was butchering dsotm, but ill still check him out, so we'll see. if the roo had zep, it would be no contest, but as of now, they dont.

like somebody else said, if i was located in the middle of these 2 festivals, it would be a touch choice, but since i live in so. cal., its easy.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-06-2008, 12:21 PM
i wish i could mix and match. the roo doesnt have any good djs, but coachella almost has too many. pearl jam kicks ass, but so does portishead. im not sold on roger waters yet. i was pretty excited till i saw some recent youtube footage and he didnt sound that great. it actually sounded like he was butchering dsotm, but ill still check him out, so we'll see. if the roo had zep, it would be no contest, but as of now, they dont.

like somebody else said, if i was located in the middle of these 2 festivals, it would be a touch choice, but since i live in so. cal., its easy.

I live right in the middle of both...it is still no picnic getting to either...

gmoneyak
02-06-2008, 12:40 PM
pearl jam>portishead

Buahahahaha!!

cxunit
02-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Bonnaroo...

but not because of either line-ups.

coldstart
02-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Bonnaroo...

but not because of either line-ups.

Not because of either lineup? Then go back to the board where you came from, Lurker!

pancakespancakes
01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Bonnaroo had a better lineup in 2008 IMO. A much better one. But Coachella is just a better festival and overall a better time. I still had more fun at Bonnaroo this year, but they'll never again get a lineup more suited to me than that year's, so Coachella will eternally be the winner from here on out...

boarderwoozel3
01-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Trump card:
http://www.coachella.com/util/gallery_image.php?id=9324

pancakespancakes
01-04-2009, 10:00 PM
You know, some of us only go in there... wait, some of us never go in there. Sorry for not drinking mouth wash to enjoy my live music.

thatfinkleygirl
01-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Coachella even though PJ > JJ AND RW.

The lineup they have is nowhere near good enough to convince me to fly out to the middle of bumfuck, Tennessee...

my sentiments exactly. bonnaroo is just too damn far away.

Blinken
01-04-2009, 10:13 PM
They only time I spent in the Sahara all weekend was for for Justice, but still wasn't in the tent. The only reason for that was because no one else was playing. A number of us could care less about a dance tent.

Backwater
01-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Coachella is just a better festival and overall a better time.

I just don't understand how you can have a better time at Coachella than Bonnaroo, especially if you liked the roo lineup better. You're the only person (who has been to both fests) that I've ever seen say that.

canexplain
01-17-2009, 08:43 AM
for new music, coachella all the way, for great music the roo :) ... for a great time, the roo all the way .... i posted this a couple of years ago ...

coachella=disneyland
bonnaroo=bataan death march

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/bataan.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/disney-2.jpg

and a pic from an earlier comment about biolumenense sp
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/bioluc.jpg

:) cr****

mickflyy
03-17-2010, 09:07 AM
pearl jam>portishead

No way man.

Chelaw