PDA

View Full Version : No comedy this year eh??

darthlaker
02-05-2008, 02:26 PM
i kinda liked the comedy we had last year. Wonder why is it's not coming back? oh well. I'll tell you what is funny is trying to pass Jack Jackson as a headliner. Hi Larry Us!

Cpt. Funkaho
02-05-2008, 02:28 PM
I was really hoping for Flight of the Conchords, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

M Sparks
02-05-2008, 02:30 PM
It was too long last year, but it was a great way to kick things off. I was amazed at the turnout.

I wish they would just give the UCB a little stage and let them program it.

woogie846
Flight of the Conchords would be a great late add.

humanoid
I was really hoping for Flight of the Conchords, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

yeah, I was totally thinking that was a possibility too....would've been cool

kreutz2112
02-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Justice is playing on Sunday.

zenidogx
02-05-2008, 02:38 PM
roger waters is playing . . . so a george carlin add wouldnt be that crazy

frozen pilgrim
02-05-2008, 02:45 PM
dude...
I would absolutely love to see george carlin on the mainstage on friday night.
and it's got shit all to do with trumping JJ. I just think that carlin is one of the few truly great comedians that would be capable of commanding a stage that size.
and IMO, last year, patton oswalt and brian posehn fucking KILLED.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2008, 02:57 PM
i kinda liked the comedy we had last year. Wonder why is it's not coming back? oh well. I'll tell you what is funny is trying to pass Jack Jackson as a headliner. Hi Larry Us!

I was hoping they were gonna put them in the oasis dome last year, oh well

Boourns
02-05-2008, 03:02 PM
No comedy this year? What about Uffie. And Jack Johnson falls under the "making Heath Ledger jokes at his funeral" truly tasteless joke variety of comedy.

The Slightly Stoopid crowd will provide great prop comedy, if you like watching 909ers picking their meth scabs.

But seriously, the Comedians of Comedy were great last year. Too bad I got hot/thirsty/had to piss and couldn't get back inside after I hopped out. What I did see made me ROFLMAOWTFBBQ, naturally. Jarvis' unique blend of self-deprecation and observational humour between songs was also good for a laugh.

Crackerfromcrenshaw
02-05-2008, 03:03 PM
dude...
I would absolutely love to see george carlin on the mainstage on friday night.
and it's got shit all to do with trumping JJ. I just think that carlin is one of the few truly great comedians that would be capable of commanding a stage that size.
and IMO, last year, patton oswalt and brian posehn fucking KILLED.

Omfg George Carlin is hilarious, saw him in Ontario i think last year, anyways laughed my ass off the whole time and probably agree'd with 90% of the stuff he said very enlightening performance from a very insightful and pissed off man, Goldenvoice could eezzzily save coachella with a George Carlin addition and nobody would know it unless your OG and know WHO George is... not just the wikipedia of him...

frozen pilgrim
02-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I was hoping they were gonna put them in the oasis dome last year, oh well

maybe there'll be comedy at coachella after all. you just reminded me of how much stage space there is that isn't any of the main tents or two listed outdoor stages.
could be comedy in the do lab, cyclecide (if they have a little stage again this year), the dome, one of the other domes... or something else we don't know about.

I'm really looking forward to the do lab...
anyone else catch that life-saving and incredibly entertaining water/burlesque/interpretive dance show that lucent dossier did like 3x a day?
the 3 o clock show was a lifesaver.
here's a couple shots.
sorry if they're kinda huge.
http://img1.purerave.com/4/11/4217111_.jpg
http://img1.purerave.com/4/12/4217112_.jpg

EDIT:: I subbed out the embedded photos for the links because they're really truly massive. three and a half forum pages wide or so. depending on your resolution.
I'm not THAT much of an asshole
I hope >.<

Memorial_07
02-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I really though FOTC would've played.
Or another comedy act.
Damn...I was really hoping that would happen.

gaypalmsprings
02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
JJ is hilarious

Alchemy
02-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Stella is available.

Flight of the Conchords opening up a day would be so awesome.

Boourns
02-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Dave Chappelle

M Sparks
02-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Stella is available.

They could just do skits between acts on the main stage.

Better yet, Outdoor Theater. That way, they could just keep improving when each act is 5 minutes later than the last.

Alchemy
02-05-2008, 04:14 PM

Better yet, Outdoor Theater. That way, they could just keep improving when each act is 5 minutes later than the last.

I think you're on to something. Keep Stella on the Outdoor Theatre so that they can entertain us while the crew fixes whatever problem is going on with the sound at the time, because of course, at the Outdoor Theatre, there will be problems.

zenidogx
02-05-2008, 04:36 PM
THE STATE!!! that'd be a great coachella reunion.

i loved that standing ovation Galifianakis got for the Kill Dane Cook poster.

humanoid
02-05-2008, 04:49 PM
THE STATE!!! that'd be a great coachella reunion.

i loved that standing ovation Galifianakis got for the Kill Dane Cook poster.

good call on the State...

thedevious
02-05-2008, 04:56 PM
I know a lot of folks love them, but I find fotc to be dull as dish water and dead boring. It's the same thing with Family Guy, tons of people love it and I just think it's absolute smegma.

I gave fotc a good chance and watched 3 entire episodes, I want those 70 minutes back.

UCB or the State would be amazing though, or a mr. show reunion.

braundiggity
02-05-2008, 05:01 PM
UCB is a brilliant suggestion. Those guys are hi-larious.

Boourns
02-05-2008, 05:29 PM
DANE COOK AND CARLOS MENCIA

emtgreg
02-05-2008, 05:35 PM
DANE COOK AND CARLOS MENCIA

SERIOUSLY BRO

THEN WE CAN DRINK SOME BEERS AND CHILL BRO

LISTEN TO SOME JACK JOHNSON AFTERWORDS, THAT WOULD BE RAD BRO

M Sparks
02-05-2008, 05:41 PM
UCB is a brilliant suggestion. Those guys are hi-larious.

More specifically, their theater just hosts the most amazing lineups. And it's freakin cheap. Makes me wish I lived in LA.

Jeff Garlin hosts a show once a week that's like $1 to get in.

http://www.ucbtheatre.com/schedule/laschedule.php

Boourns
02-05-2008, 05:45 PM
SERIOUSLY BRO

HELL YEA, BRO!

HEY, WHAT'S THAT DILDO DOING IN YOUR BACKPACK, BRO? BRO? BRAH?

AAAAAGH!

kreutz2112
02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
I will say it again: Justice will be the funniest thing at Coachella. You know all the bros who go to all three days of the festival will be in the tent on Sunday night. That, along with Justices poor attempt to play a live show, is going to hilarious. Too bad I wont be there to enjoy it.

instinct
02-05-2008, 06:36 PM
SERIOUSLY BRO

I can actually hear Dane Cook saying this.

Tijuana
02-05-2008, 07:07 PM

I was going to say that you have enough jokes with Jack Johnson as a headliner, but you said it first

gaypalmsprings
02-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Cindy Sheehan would be funny. Maybe Michelle Obama.

darthlaker
02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
SERIOUSLY BRO

Don't forget to catch some Dwait Yokam, if thats how you spell it?

nbvwes
02-05-2008, 11:29 PM

YES!!! that's what i'm talking about... no worries about the gobi being packed or whatever, and it being too long or anything... perform between acts while they're breaking down/setting up...

and CoC or Carlin would be great... but i don't really see Dane Cook at Coachella... and Dave Chappelle would be costly...

elChurro
02-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Doug Stanhope

PierogiHead
02-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Human Giant (They are actually going to tour)

zenidogx
02-06-2008, 09:26 AM

aziz ansari was there last year. he was great!

M Sparks
02-06-2008, 09:32 AM
"I got raped by Aziz after the show. It was pretty refreshing!"

C DUB YA
02-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Dave Attell

M Sparks
02-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Doug Stanhope

Stanhope would be great. I just got something from him that said he was playing a show in Vegas in someone's backyard. It said "We're gonna go weird like this as often as possible in '08"

fatbastard
02-06-2008, 05:22 PM

I'll be making fun of people to myself throughout the weekend.

bmack86
02-06-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm in full support of UCB. I've been going to the free sunday show at the LA theatre since the week it's opened, and I hardly ever miss a week. They're that hilarious. I'll ask the guys if it's ever been discussed on Sunday.

M Sparks
02-08-2008, 10:13 AM

Hmmmm...anybody see this on the front page?

http://community.coachella.com/profile.php?userid=7727

Coachella community's newest member...Paul Scheer!

WoollyMammoth
02-14-2008, 11:51 PM
what about bill walton & good charlotte?

mikebspeedracer
02-15-2008, 12:00 AM
maybe there'll be comedy at coachella after all. you just reminded me of how much stage space there is that isn't any of the main tents or two listed outdoor stages.
could be comedy in the do lab, cyclecide (if they have a little stage again this year), the dome, one of the other domes... or something else we don't know about.

I'm really looking forward to the do lab...
anyone else catch that life-saving and incredibly entertaining water/burlesque/interpretive dance show that lucent dossier did like 3x a day?
the 3 o clock show was a lifesaver.
here's a couple shots.
sorry if they're kinda huge.
http://img1.purerave.com/4/11/4217111_.jpg
http://img1.purerave.com/4/12/4217112_.jpg

EDIT:: I subbed out the embedded photos for the links because they're really truly massive. three and a half forum pages wide or so. depending on your resolution.
I'm not THAT much of an asshole
I hope >.<

ya I got hosed down by them a couple of times last year

ZackQ
02-15-2008, 05:45 PM
I think Michael Showwalter, Michael Ian Black or maybe just straight up Stella would be a lot of fun, and also very well received by the Coachella crowd. IMO.

M Sparks
02-16-2008, 05:45 AM
I think Michael Showwalter, Michael Ian Black or maybe just straight up Stella would be a lot of fun, and also very well received by the Coachella crowd. IMO.

I just watched David Wain's "The Ten" the other night. Not as good as "Wet Hot American Summer", but still really funny and different. It's a collection of 10 short stories based loosely on the 10 Commandments.

Oddly, Michael Showalter and Michael Ian Black have very small parts, but it was nice to see just about everyone from The State appear in some capacity or another- even Kevin Alison. Kerri Kenny has a big part (her cameo was cut out of WHAS) and Ken Marino is essentially the star, driving at least 2 stories and appearing at least one other. Ben G., Thomas L., and Joe L. are in there too, and maybe Todd H.

Only big problem was they didn't really know how to end it- the close is kind of embarrassing to watch. First 90 minutes were pretty great though, if you appreciate this style of humor.

brando4n82
02-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Kids in the Hall. anyone?

lowfront
02-16-2008, 07:26 AM
I still say there should be a little comedy tent Thursday night for the campers....

would be perfect

M Sparks
02-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Kids in the Hall. anyone?

Actually, The Whitest Kids U Know have a new DVD and season 2 to promote. Not as good as TKITH or The State, but at least they are current.

BkgMbU-we1o
zw7LdZSh5EM
QEQOvyGbBtY
qtL-UB1mFAY

gratytrainridesagain
02-16-2008, 07:56 AM
I still say there should be a little comedy tent Thursday night for the campers....

would be perfect

That would be nice, but hopefully it would be 21+ cause comedy is always better with beer.

ZackQ
02-16-2008, 12:31 PM
I just watched David Wain's "The Ten" the other night.

The cat scan machine bit made me laugh...really hard.

M Sparks
02-16-2008, 04:32 PM
The cat scan machine bit made me laugh...really hard.
j3V45hVazT4

rage patton
02-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Bonnaroo got Chris Rock. I think we deserve AT LEAST David Cross.

Memorial_07
02-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Rage, this has been bothering me for the longest time...
what was your previous avatar?

rage patton
02-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Rage, this has been bothering me for the longest time...
what was your previous avatar?

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/250px-Gogol_Bordello_Roskilde.jpg

:)

kitt kat
02-16-2008, 06:01 PM
i was hoping for some conchords action :(

maybe a late add?

ZackQ
02-16-2008, 06:35 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/250px-Gogol_Bordello_Roskilde.jpg

Gogol Bordello right? Man, no way do I miss them again this year.

rage patton
02-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Gogol Bordello right? Man, no way do I miss them again this year.

Im sorry you missed them last year. Rage was the main reason I went last year, but Gogol topped them. Gogol seriously put on the best performance of Coachella 2007. No matter who the conflict is with this year, do not miss them!

Memorial_07
02-17-2008, 07:12 AM

I thought it was Freddie Mercury...
How wrong I was
:o

moviebruin
02-17-2008, 08:09 AM

Gonna go see the Human Giant this coming Tuesday at CDR at the UCB theatre.
http://www.myspace.com/comedydeathray
5 bucks and byob. best deal in town! They also have 3 shows coming few days later.

MonsoonSeason
02-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Jon Benjamin.

M Sparks
02-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Jon Benjamin.

He was in The Ten too. He played the Lying Rhino.

ZackQ
02-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Im sorry you missed them last year. Rage was the main reason I went last year, but Gogol topped them. Gogol seriously put on the best performance of Coachella 2007. No matter who the conflict is with this year, do not miss them!

After hearing so much about them last year, I'm obligated to see them this year. For me, Gogol Bordello is the Sunday headliner. Just hope they equal or top last year's performance.

rage patton
02-17-2008, 10:49 AM
After hearing so much about them last year, I'm obligated to see them this year. For me, Gogol Bordello is the Sunday headliner. Just hope they equal or top last year's performance.

I saw them two more times after Coachella last year. Both were fun, but not as good as the Coachella performance. Its going to be extremely hard for them to top last years show, let alone equal it. I expect Gogol to put on a highly energetic and entertaining show as always. But I doubt it will be able to beat last years. Who knows though. Maybe we will get the legendary rare bass drum crowd surf.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/GogolBassdrum.jpg
^ From Coachella last year.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/Eugene3.jpg
^Not from Coachella, but it's a great shot anyways.

ZackQ
02-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Oh man, a bass drum crowd surf? Now if we don't get that I'll be disappointed. Did they do that any of the other two times you saw them?

rage patton
02-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Nope, I saw them in Seattle and I Vegas, and they didnt do it at either of them.

I also talked to some people who saw them in San Diago, LA and San Fran. They didn't do it at any of those places either. I think I heard someone say they did it at Bonnaroo last year too though. But maybe they didn't...

It is a VERY rare occasion for Gogol to do the bass drum crowd surf. I will be very surprised if they do it at Coachella this year. Either way, it still will be a most excellent show.

MonsoonSeason
02-17-2008, 07:13 PM
I bet it depends on how crazy the crowd gets, and from what we saw at coach last year, the entire crowd was going ballistic the entire time

PierogiHead
02-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Goldenvoice REALLY needs to add Human Giant if they can work it into their schedule right now, seeing that it may be my only chance after they just cancelled most of their tour due to Paul Scheer filming a movie in March.

M Sparks
02-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Goldenvoice REALLY needs to add Human Giant if they can work it into their schedule right now, seeing that it may be my only chance after they just cancelled most of their tour due to Paul Scheer filming a movie in March.

As I mentioned before but everyone ignored...Paul WILL be there.

http://community.coachella.com/profile.php?userid=7727