PDA

View Full Version : anticipation

prettydirtything
02-05-2008, 12:59 AM
No Rage, Oasis, Radiohead, Blur, Bowie Talking Heads, Prince, Zeppelin, Muse, White Stripes, Pretty Dirty Things etc etc etc...

but:

Imagine paying $90 on Friday to see

The Verve
The Ranconteurs
The Breeders
The National
Fatboy Slim
Les Savy Fav
Rouge Wave
Aesop Rock
Swell Season

over the course of 12 hours.
Thats $10 per band.

Imagine paying $90 on Saturday to see

Portishead
Kraftwork
Rilo Kiley
MIA
Hot Chip
Cold War Kids
Kate Nash
Carbon/Silicon
Death Cab For Cutie
Vhs or Beta

Thats $9 per band.

Imagine paying $90 on Sunrday to see:
Roger Waters (playing Dark Side of the Moon)
Gogol Bordello
The Streets
The Cool Kids
Sia
Black Kids
Metric
Simian Mobile Disco
Holy Fuck
Kid Sister

Thats $9 per band.

(oh, and the camping drinking eating drug doing rocking out dancing yelling head bobbing neon sculpture reminiscing talking psychedelic electric bolt trip of time you could ever imagine to boot)

COACHELLA 2008 FUCK YEAH

kingdumb
02-05-2008, 01:10 AM
what the hell kinda thread is this?
is this supposed to get me pumped?

prettydirtything
02-05-2008, 01:22 AM
what the hell kinda thread is this?
is this supposed to get me pumped?

nope. but I sure am.

IMHO
2003 was the deepest year.

2002 was my first and sentimental favorite because of oasis.

2004 had Radiohead and Pixies.

2007 had Rage (and was the first with three days)

2005 was a disaster for me personally on many levels

I couldn't go in 2006, 2001,1999.

Coachella 2008 is the best possible thing I could do with about $1000 (drugs and booze included) in late april for four days.

smoke
02-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Coachella 2008 is the best possible thing I could do with about $1000 (drugs and booze included) in late april for four days.

huzzah!

prettydirtything
02-05-2008, 01:47 AM
perspective...

BECAUSE IT'S FUCKING COACHELLA. Honestly, when's the last time anyone on this board was actually disappointed with having gone to Coachella? And it only gets more and more brilliant with every year. You think that big fucking dome, trippy box of lights, and beautiful sparkling dragon were a huge step up in the level of art in the festival? I guarantee you that this year's Hallucinogen Disneyworld that is the Polo Fields will DESTROY 2007's art. It's going to be an insane and magical experience like it always is, and as supposedly devoted fans of the Coachella experience I just don't understand how you can be all ripshit over the headliners of all things.

I thought we were above this. I thought it was the monkeys that come in and rag on the headliners and we're supposed to be more mature than that because we've been there and we know now that headliners aren't what matters. How often has a headliner been the show that made that day for you? Honestly?

In fact, how often was the show of the day or whole weekend one that you were expecting it to be? Most of what I've read on here indicates that the best part about this festival is that you end up being surprised by acts. Because they always put together a great fucking lineup even if we don't recognize a lot of it. You know goddamn well you're all going to Coach anyway, and you're going to come back saying all kinds of shit about how awesome it was and this and that band were unexpectedly amazing, blah blah blah. It's the same thing every year, because GV knows what the fuck they're doing.

HAVE FAITH, COCKSUCKERS.

Cpt. Funkaho
02-05-2008, 01:50 AM
$1000? You must

A) Stay in a hotel, and/or
B) Go large with the booze & drugs.

I'm coming from Alaska, and it won't cost me $1000. Granted, that's because I'm flying on miles, but still... it will probably run about $550-650 when all is said and done.

Last year it ran me very close to $1000, but that's because I had my wallet stolen with $100 in it, and someone charged $350 on my cards before I could cancel them.

Coates
02-05-2008, 06:59 AM
mainly coming over for coachella but while we're in the states we're gonna spend 2 nights in Vegas and 2 nights in LA either side of the festival. I really can't afford to spend...

$700 - flight
$280 - ticket
$320 - accomodation

trip to the states in total...

$1300 - coachella (including flights)
$300 - various hotels in Vegas/LA
$200 - car hire

$1200 - spending money (food + drink) plus petrol money

altogether gonna cost me about $3000

yikes! i really do wish there were a headliner that i really wanted to see but i know i'll have fun whatever happens.

braundiggity
02-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Yeah, and I'm excited about seeing a lot of those bands, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to see them if they weren't at coachella. Even for $10.

Coates
02-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Yeah, and I'm excited about seeing a lot of those bands, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to see them if they weren't at coachella. Even for $10.

I hear that. When i first saw the line up i figured if that was on in Manchester (where i live) would i bother going? Maybe... I mean it is a pretty poor line up for a major festival. Since then i've heard a lot of the bands and i know there are some i will enjoy a lot and i know i'll have a great time but had i not already booked my flights and made a conscious decision to go to Coachella ahead of any other festival this year (because it's Coachella and they have a history of being great festivals), i wouldn't be going. The line up is probably the worst i have known at a festival and i know that's just because i'm not up on my American indie bands or electronica but i love my big names. I just wish that a couple of my favourite bands were playing like Editors, Interpol, Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire etc etc

ATamreLion
02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
I hear that. When i first saw the line up i figured if that was on in Manchester (where i live) would i bother going? Maybe... I mean it is a pretty poor line up for a major festival. Since then i've heard a lot of the bands and i know there are some i will enjoy a lot and i know i'll have a great time but had i not already booked my flights and made a conscious decision to go to Coachella ahead of any other festival this year (because it's Coachella and they have a history of being great festivals), i wouldn't be going. The line up is probably the worst i have known at a festival and i know that's just because i'm not up on my American indie bands or electronica but i love my big names. I just wish that a couple of my favourite bands were playing like Editors, Interpol, Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire etc etc

I totally agree. These headliners are horrible. I've personally never heard of Kraftwerk or Portishead prior to about 2 weeks ago, Roger Waters is going to be pretty cool to see and Jack Johnson plays shows all of time. He doesn't deserve to be headlining a major festival like this. I am, however excited for Minus the Bear, Battles, My Morning Jacket, The Cool Kids, Spiritualized, etc... I'm mostly going this year because Coachella has a big reputation for being fun in general even when you don't take into account the big acts they usually have. Here's to hoping something happens with this lineup.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Seriously? you didn't know who Kraftwerk was? the practically invented a genre...

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2008, 02:42 PM
perspective...

Im with you on that!

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2008, 02:44 PM
I totally agree. These headliners are horrible. I've personally never heard of Kraftwerk or Portishead prior to about 2 weeks ago, Roger Waters is going to be pretty cool to see and Jack Johnson plays shows all of time. He doesn't deserve to be headlining a major festival like this. I am, however excited for Minus the Bear, Battles, My Morning Jacket, The Cool Kids, Spiritualized, etc... I'm mostly going this year because Coachella has a big reputation for being fun in general even when you don't take into account the big acts they usually have. Here's to hoping something happens with this lineup.

if you are saying you didnt know kraftwerk until two weeks ago...you dont need to worry about something "happening" to the line up, its fine.

Cpt. Funkaho
02-05-2008, 02:44 PM
I totally agree. These headliners are horrible. I've personally never heard of Kraftwerk or Portishead prior to about 2 weeks ago...

Based on this and your other similar posts, I dub thee a Bro. Get thee to a frat house and off of the polo field.

JebusLives
02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Based on this and your other similar posts, I dub thee a Bro. Get thee to a frat house and off of the polo field.

He said he was digging spiritualized. I figure that at least partially nullifies the above (horrifying) statement.

Coates
02-06-2008, 12:16 AM
i've heard of those bands, i just think they're a bit shit (my opinion guys). I couldn't really care less about electronica. I don't think i would've booked any of these headliners, maybe roger waters at a push but i would've been way way more interested in pink floyd. no radiohead was a big let down too.

i think it's fair to say that everyone is to some extent upset with this line up, i don't know anyone that thinks it's amazing. however it's decent enough for me to not get too upset and i'll enjoy bands like metric and the national enough even if my hard earned doesn't get me a big name band that i was guaranteed at some of the festivals here in the UK. i personally feel that GV have made some terrible decisions here especially when compared to past years but i'll not let it get in the way of me having a great time on my one holiday of the year in the states!