matsuolost
02-04-2008, 10:04 PM
anyone notice that?

http://coachella.com/event/Lineup%20by%20day

sorry if its been discussed

PassiveTheory
02-04-2008, 10:07 PM
LOL

Well, to be fair, that's about right... Although Cafe Tacuba as a subheadliner is fucking hillarious.

MassiveChemicalPunk
i hadnt seen it personally.... thanks. looks better.

MassiveChemicalPunk
LOL

Well, to be fair, that's about right... Although Cafe Tacuba as a subheadliner is fucking hillarious.

yep.

betao
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
good find!

whynotsmile99
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
indeed it appears so.

orbit
02-04-2008, 10:09 PM
It was already in the Poster Changes thread, but yeah, interesting.

rage patton
02-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Just a friendly reminder. :) (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?p=450273#post450273)

betao
02-04-2008, 10:12 PM
mmm maybe something big is in the air. this could be exciting.

whynotsmile99
02-04-2008, 10:14 PM

this was the trick up the sleeve, i'm sure of it. Krftwerk moved up a line. Awesome suprise

microlovebeat
02-04-2008, 10:14 PM

there has to be. i don't see any sense in double billing.

betao
02-04-2008, 10:15 PM
this was the trick up the sleeve, i'm sure of it. Krftwerk moved up a line. Awesome suprise

well i'll be DAMNED! How does he do it?!

orbit
02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Maybe they will double bill friday too?

goodgrl
02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Wow, I hadnt noticed.

betao
02-04-2008, 10:18 PM
seriously, if there's one day that needs double billing, its friday...

rage patton
02-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Maybe they will double bill friday too?

That is what I was hoping too. But "Jack Johnson" almost takes up the whole line by itself.
Also, if GV do that, it will show sort of a sign of weakness. Instead of giving us 3 solid headliners like last year... they are doing what festivals like Lolla do. Give us 4 almost-headliner-but-not-quite acts, and 1 solid headliner.

PassiveTheory
02-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I love these tricks up Paul Tollet's sleeve.

First a Madness disappearance act, then the almighty Kate Nash being put on the lineup, and now Portiswork as a headliner... GENIUS.

I think next, for GV to compensate for the lack of a nameable headliner for the folks out there who can't tell their Kraftwerk from their Kraft Mac n' Cheese, is just to fill the top line with as many acronyms as fucking possible:

PHKWDCFCCTSJDRKDYMIAHC

Or something to that extent to sell the 3 day passes to people. Because, if you can't provide a top-tier name that the general public can recognize, it's always a brilliant idea to load the "top tier" with as many bands as possible.

woogie846
02-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I didn't notice this until now, thanks for pointing it out.

zipperhead
02-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Looks like the Coachella faithful aren't buying PortisHead as a headliner.

They still need a bit of Rock n' Roll on Saturday. Not Shit Truck for Ugly. White Stripes would do.

Add DMB to Friday (DM is co-headlining with JJ in Hawaii a week before Coachella), and we are in business.

summerkid
02-04-2008, 10:57 PM
oh god no. What is this Bonnaroo? No Dave Matthews please.

JordanAnderson
02-04-2008, 10:59 PM
LOL

I think it's all good, Cafe Tacuba is going to get me pumped it will be like a fun local folk fest vibe. I'm pretty sure when the sound hits we will all be having a good time.

summerkid
02-04-2008, 11:01 PM
i mean it really doesnt change anything we already knew cafe tacuba was playing the main stage

hypervera
02-04-2008, 11:02 PM
I think it's all good, Cafe Tacuba is going to get me pumped it will be like a fun local folk fest vibe. I'm pretty sure when the sound hits we will all be having a good time.

yeah totally right!
and they will play at the outdoor theatre

summerkid
02-04-2008, 11:03 PM
no, they wont. They are playing the main stage paul tolett said so. He talked about how they liked the outdoor theatre, but how he convinced them to play the main stage.

hypervera
02-04-2008, 11:08 PM
no, they wont. They are playing the main stage paul tolett said so. He talked about how they liked the outdoor theatre, but how he convinced them to play the main stage.

in the press conference ? after that i hear some news about them playing in the outdoor

well the important thing here is cafeta playing :thu

paulb
02-04-2008, 11:16 PM
what a weird change to the poster... maybe Portishead/Kraftwerk will become the 2nd line and they will add a huge headliner to Saturday...

phonics80
02-04-2008, 11:32 PM
LOL

What was even more hilarious was when they headlined over Groove Armada at the Hollywood Bowl. I've never seen the bowl clear that fast, that early. People were more disturbed that day than when they saw Jack Johnson was a headliner this year...well almost.

hypervera
02-04-2008, 11:38 PM
cafeta is subheadliner because they are good and because the lineup this year sucks

thelastgreatman
02-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Co-headliners aren't unheard of. See 1999.

suprefan
02-04-2008, 11:51 PM
LOL

Why, have you ever seen them live? Do you see any reason why not? I thought you only felt JJ was the joke here.

thelastgreatman
02-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Passive thinks everything about the headline is hilarious. Especially that Radiohead isn't there, even though he spent a year talking all kinds of shit about how much he wanted Radiohead to not be there.

In short, he's a silly bag of shit.

PassiveTheory
02-04-2008, 11:54 PM
What was even more hilarious was when they headlined over Groove Armada at the Hollywood Bowl. I've never seen the bowl clear that fast, that early. People were more disturbed that day than when they saw Jack Johnson was a headliner this year...well almost.

How was Groove Armada?

xbnmx
02-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Groove Armada was excellent. Rachel and Fred didn't even end up going into see them though. So lame.

PassiveTheory
02-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Really? I thought Fred was a huge GA fan... Ah well.

phonics80
02-05-2008, 01:44 AM
How was Groove Armada?

Groove Armada was amazing, as always, but it seemed as though they were cut a bit short. It wasn’t nearly as good as the live set at Coachella '03 or at the Palace (now Avalon) two days beforehand. They played up against the Beastie Boys and absolutely ruined it! Good times!

M Sparks
02-05-2008, 03:09 AM
Ha! I called it on the rumors forum a few days ago.

I could see a situation where we wind up with dual headliners on Friday and Saturday, with Waters getting a longer set Sunday. Especially since 3-Day pass sales appear to have slowed down.

Picture this...JJ & STP headlineing Friday...Kraftwerk gets bumped up to coheadliner with Portishead and someone else goes on the second line (coughpjharveycough).

Kraftwerk already looks like a headliner on the new consolidated poster anyway.

EDIT- For the record, I don't necessarily WANT STP, but that was the topic at hand.

Alchemy
02-05-2008, 06:40 AM
I highly doubt that Portishead and Kraftwerk are going to be dropped to 2nd tier for a new headliner. Kraftwerk could go back down, but Portishead is the headliner. Jack Johnson is also the headliner, and I think the only thing that would be added to that is, "and Friends". It would be a deep blow to both Portishead's and Jack Johnson's nuts if they were all of a sudden stripped of their headlining rights. I don't think Tollett went and asked everyone to be pretend headliners so that Dave Matthews could sink down Jack Johnson, or Radiohead could sink down Portishead, or even Roger Waters becoming Pink Floyd. That is not very likely.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-05-2008, 06:51 AM
what a weird change to the poster... maybe Portishead/Kraftwerk will become the 2nd line and they will add a huge headliner to Saturday...

Ugh! Saturday is WAY too stacked as it is...they need more things on Friday (Why not move M.I.A to Friday GV?)...I can already feel the conflicts....

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-05-2008, 06:54 AM
LOL

::::sigh::::: Passive? I don't think you understand how popular Cafe is in Mexico and how many folks from Mexico attend this festival...it makes perfect sense....the crowd for them will be big..

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Ha! I called it on the rumors forum a few days ago.

EDIT- For the record, I don't necessarily WANT STP, but that was the topic at hand.

good show man! and for the record also...I wouldn't be at all jazzed about STP being there....

shakermaker113
02-05-2008, 07:26 AM
two threads, two posts...

I only just noticed that Portishead and Kraftwerk are now on the same line for day two. looks weird. I dont like it. if john jackson can have his own line, Portishead most certainly should as well.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-05-2008, 07:27 AM
two threads, two posts...

I just replied to your other post...

summerkid
02-05-2008, 07:57 AM
i said this in some other thread the reason why kraftwerk got bumped up is to make room for spiritualized on the third line because remember they are being moved to saturday.

microlovebeat
02-05-2008, 08:08 AM
i said this in some other thread the reason why kraftwerk got bumped up is to make room for spiritualized on the third line because remember they are being moved to saturday.

dude.......why would they bump up kraftwerk for that sole reason? for spritualized to have room on the third line? no. it means a big addition.

summerkid
02-05-2008, 08:11 AM
dude.......why would they bump up kraftwerk for that sole reason? for spritualized to have room on the third line? no. it means a big addition.

yes...yes they would. there is no big addition. deal with it.

microlovebeat
02-05-2008, 08:13 AM
that's just senseless. you're alone on this one, summerkid.

bludevil007
02-05-2008, 08:15 AM
honestly, they must be up to something. before i thought the rumored additions were just rumors to get people to buy tickets, but if they're doing this to fuck with all the people that read this board or just for marketing purposes then i'm officially boycotting this shit next year. not cool.

who's coming with me??? I'm picturing something like that wendy's commercial with the dude wearing the wendys wig suddenly realizes that he can have a great tasting burger for cheap, and he leads a revolution...to the nearest wendys

summerkid
02-05-2008, 08:18 AM
thats because all of you are delusional, i mean there are people on here who think pink floyd is going to reunite on sunday. Let me break it down for you. They need to move spiritualized to saturday and they can't have all those people on the third line billed ahead of spiritualized that would be a crime and they probably don't want to bump hot chip down to the fourth line so what do they do? bump Kraftwerk up because really its always been kind of a portishead/kraftwerk co headline from the start. The word before the lineup got announced was that they got Kraftwerk at the last minute because they couldnt get a headliner for saturday.

summerkid
02-05-2008, 08:19 AM
if there is an addition it will be on sunday and it will be a third line addition. NO SUBHEADLINERS WILL BE ADDED!

braundiggity
02-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Why, have you ever seen them live? Do you see any reason why not? I thought you only felt JJ was the joke here.

It has nothing to do with how good they are live. Cafe Tacuba was on the FOURTH line in 2005. I don't know what they've done to deserve being bumped up to sub-headliner.

It all just continues to highlight the weakness of this lineup, at least in the top tier (1,2,3 lines) acts compared to past years.

summerkid
02-05-2008, 08:35 AM
yeah, and kraftwerk was billed 3rd in 2004 and now they are essentially headlining, this lineup is so weak sunday's third line is laughable.

braundiggity
02-05-2008, 08:39 AM
are there any posts going through all of the repeat acts and seeing where they are compared to where they used to be? Death Cab going up since '04 makes sense, as does arguably Rilo Kiley. Kraftwerk, Jack Johnson, Cafe Tacuba are all sad.

It might be interesting. Not that I want to get sad about how shafted we are this year compared to the past or anything.

summerkid
02-05-2008, 08:46 AM
just looking at 2006 alone...

MMJ from the fourth line to sub-headliners, animal collective from fourth to third, Metric from 6th to 3rd, Murs from 8th to 4th and there is a bunch from 2007 that had huge jumps in billing.

Hot Chip from 5 to 3rd, Justice from the bottom line to the third line, Gogol from 6th to 3rd, Spank Rock didn't move, Kid Sister from not being billed to 6th, was busy p billed on the bottom line? now he's on the 8th line.

and that's just in the past two years.

betao
02-05-2008, 09:12 AM
you can complain about artists being billed so high, but the reason why these artists were billed low in the past was because of who else was playing. In 2004, MMJ was 4th line only because of the other acts they were able to get for that year. I'm not saying they would have been 2nd row, but maybe 3rd line or something.

Somewhat Damaged
02-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Kraftwerk was 3rd billed in 2004, when the first two acts were Radiohead and Pixies. It's not like they were billed below the Flaming Lips. Them moving up to co-headliner is totally justifiable. I agree, though, that if any day needed a co-headliner, it sure as shit wasn't Saturday.

summerkid
02-05-2008, 09:23 AM
isn't that the point though? sure Kraftwerk being bumped up to headliner is justifiable with this lineup. But I don't really want to talk about Kraftwerk I mean they are the reason I'm going pretty much.

xbnmx
02-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Some people have no concept that bands grow in popularity over time.

summerkid
02-05-2008, 09:48 AM
sure I do and some are justified others...not so much.

M Sparks
02-05-2008, 09:55 AM

Yeah, it's not the fricking Army. People think that you have to work your way though the ranks or something. Geez...The Killers were on the last line in 2004 and Muse was at the end of the 5th. Would people really question putting them in the top 6 acts?

These aren't even good examples. Kraftwerk went from third billed to second. My Morning Jacket went from 9th to third.

DCFC made a pretty big jump from 14th to third, but again, it was FOUR years ago. They've come a long way.

BTW...Gogol went from to 22nd to 6th and Justice went from 31st to 5th in ONE year. If you want to talk about something talk about that. Face it...just having a killer Coachella set can knock an act way up in billing, regardless of album/ticket sales.

microlovebeat
02-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah, it's not the fricking Army. People think that you have to work your way though the ranks or something. Geez...The Killers were on the last line in 2004 and Muse was at the end of the 5th. Would people really question putting them in the top 6 acts?

These aren't even good examples. Kraftwerk went from third billed to second. My Morning Jacket went from 9th to third.

DCFC made a pretty big jump from 14th to third, but again, it was FOUR years ago. They've come a long way.

BTW...Gogol went from to 22nd to 6th and Justice went from 31st to 5th in ONE year. If you want to talk about something talk about that. Face it...just having a killer Coachella set can knock an act way up in billing, regardless of album/ticket sales.

i can't find all that much justification for the deathcab jump to subheadliner. come on......they have a new album coming out....big deal. what have they accomplished in the past 4 years? they wrote "i'll follow you into the dark", and that's it.

neverclever
02-05-2008, 10:24 AM
i can't find all that much justification for the deathcab jump to subheadliner. come on......they have a new album coming out....big deal. what have they accomplished in the past 4 years? they wrote "i'll follow you into the dark", and that's it.

Um...? They plain and simple got more popular. If you only know them by that one song you obviously haven't been listening very long. They easily sell out the Greek and it was only a a few years ago I saw them at the El Rey. It all has to do with popularity, draw and buzz.

amyzzz
02-05-2008, 10:33 AM
I hope this doesn't mean less time for Portishead.

edit: and why the fuck is this tossed into the "Babble" forum? This should be in the Lineup forum.

summerkid
02-05-2008, 10:38 AM
how long was their ATP set? I could see Portishead playing only an hour.

Boourns
02-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Cafe Tacuba as a subheadliner is a bigger joke than Sunday's subheadliners.

noisemachine
02-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Maybe Kraftwerk and Portishead are doing a joint set ;)

rage patton
02-05-2008, 12:02 PM
My bet is both Portishead and Kraftwerk get an hour and 15 minutes.

Also, just for the record, I think all the jumps in billing this year are,for the most part, completely justified. I said before theline up was anounced, if Justice or Gogol play Coachella 08... they will be on the third line. Sure enough, they are. Those are two acts who definately deserve their spots.
Also, even though I am not a Death Cab fan, they are a huge draw and are definately a sub-headliner band. They are too big for a third line act.
I think MMJ and Jack Johnson are both billed one spot to high though. If/when a subheadliner is added to Sunday, I bet MMJ will move down to the third line. And if Jack Johnson was a subheadliner, I would have had no problem with that. I am seriously thinking a big electronic act are going to be added to Friday. Oh, and I still think Cafe Tacuba are now billed too high.

braundiggity
02-05-2008, 12:07 PM

We get that, and with some of the acts - Death Cab, Justice, Gogol - the jumps are justified. But what has Kraftwerk done to deserve that kind of jump? What has Cafe Tacuba done in the last 3 years? These and a lot of the other acts haven't gotten more popular, haven't released amazing new albums, haven't had talked-about-everywhere sets like arcade fire in '05. They haven't earned the higher billing; they're getting it because GV didn't get better acts (they got it by default, by a lack of people of the quality of pixies, the cure, the flaming lips, etc)

braundiggity
02-05-2008, 12:11 PM
you can complain about artists being billed so high, but the reason why these artists were billed low in the past was because of who else was playing. In 2004, MMJ was 4th line only because of the other acts they were able to get for that year. I'm not saying they would have been 2nd row, but maybe 3rd line or something.

Isn't that the point? There are less really solid, must-see acts this year?

summerkid
02-05-2008, 12:16 PM
rage, I know you love Gogol but there is no fucking reason for them to be on the third line. I've seen the venues they play when they aren't opening for Manu Chao. \

braundiggity
02-05-2008, 12:18 PM

And some of those that you mentioned are worthy. Obviously Killers and Muse deserve higher spots - they have the increased radio play and increased album sales to justify it. So does Death Cab. And Justice and Gogol, you could at least claim earned a jump from last year's sets.

But what has Kraftwerk of Cafe Tacuba (the origin of this issue) done since their last Coachella to deserve a jump? Nothing. They got the jumps because the lineup is weaker at the top.

rage patton
02-05-2008, 12:19 PM
rage, I know you love Gogol but there is no fucking reason for them to be on the third line. I've seen the venues they play when they aren't opening for Manu Chao. \

They play the same size venues Justice play. And probably bigger venues then most of the other 3rd line acts on the poster actually.
But seriously, what the fuck is Chromeo doing on the third line?

triceratops oatmeal
02-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I totally agree Rage. CHROMEO is a few lines too high. There spot on the poster is the biggest injustice to the line-up. Ahead of Metric & Sia. Really?

M Sparks
02-05-2008, 01:06 PM
But what has Kraftwerk done to deserve that kind of jump?

I don't understand how moving from third billed to second billed is a "jump".

braundiggity
02-05-2008, 01:26 PM
I don't understand how moving from third billed to second billed is a "jump".

I'm looking at it in terms of lines, not order. The difference between first line (headliner) and second line (subheadliner) is very substantial, to me.

braundiggity
02-05-2008, 01:28 PM
just to elaborate, look over the posters from past years. I don't think you'll find a single subheadliner (second line) that's truly worthy of being a headliner - definitely not for the year they were performing, anyway. Hence, the jump from second line to first, in this case, is massive.

M Sparks
02-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Wow, I thought I was an anal retentive freak.

I mean, Portishead and Kraftwerk are still going to be playing the same stages at the same times they were before. You're literally bitching over and over about the point size of the font they are written in.

braundiggity
02-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Wow, I thought I was an anal retentive freak.

I mean, Portishead and Kraftwerk are still going to be playing the same stages at the same times they were before. You're literally bitching over and over about the point size of the font they are written in.

oh, totally, I know. But the point size of the font says a lot; it's a constant issue with stars and movie posters, and honestly, the reaction to things like Jack Johnson makes it clear how much of an issue it is with this lineup. I'm mostly just disappointed, because I don't have many must-see artists here, and that second line in particular was always reliable for that. This year, the subheadliners aren't must-sees, and this issue of Kraftwerk (and Tacuba) being over-billed highlights that. This is all coming from disappointment at who could be filling those top billings, when people who haven't earned it are.

nationocean
02-05-2008, 02:03 PM
it means they will be playing together. just whats-her-face (beth?) and the kraftwerk guys behind her.. doing all jack johnson covers.

matsuolost
02-05-2008, 02:33 PM
ILL MAKE YOU BANANA PANKAKES

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-05-2008, 03:13 PM
i like banana pancakes...

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2008, 04:55 PM

im not getting my hopes up over that, besides im satified

Blintz
02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
I just want to point out: to all of you uninformed plebians that are questioning Kraftwerk's status as a headliner, let me remind you that Kraftwerk basically INVENTED electronic music. Their popularity hasn't endured, sure, but they're legends- I'd take it as a given that they're headliner material.

M Sparks
02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
oh, totally, I know. But the point size of the font says a lot; it's a constant issue with stars and movie posters, and honestly, the reaction to things like Jack Johnson makes it clear how much of an issue it is with this lineup.

OK...I thought you were insane for a few moments. :)

I'm more concerned with the ORDER, so JJ is equally distressing. The rest is just graphic design to me.

BTW, I agree that the top of the lineup is lame every day in comparison to years past. I'm psyched for the middle and bottom though. I just couldn't figure out why you kept bringing up Kraftwerk when it's literally the most minor change.

summerkid
02-05-2008, 08:57 PM
I just want to point out: to all of you uninformed plebians that are questioning Kraftwerk's status as a headliner, let me remind you that Kraftwerk basically INVENTED electronic music. Their popularity hasn't endured, sure, but they're legends- I'd take it as a given that they're headliner material.

i want to avoid saying anything negative about Kraftwerk for the very reason you just stated. Like I've said I'm basically going to Coachella this year for Kraftwerk, but the fact is that their status as legends has not changed since they played Coachella last time in 2004 where they were billed third.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2008, 09:32 PM
i want to avoid saying anything negative about Kraftwerk for the very reason you just stated. Like I've said I'm basically going to Coachella this year for Kraftwerk, but the fact is that their status as legends has not changed since they played Coachella last time in 2004 where they were billed third.

either way they'll probably headline the sahara tent again

betao
02-05-2008, 09:39 PM
They were billed 3rd in 2004 because Radiohead (doing their only US show of the year) and the Pixies (doing one of their first reunion shows) were put before them. Otherwise, they would have been 2nd.

Kraftwerk has that spot due to the rarity of this performance. Seriously, the last time they were in the US was 2005, right? In my opinion, they deserve that spot.

orbit
02-05-2008, 10:15 PM
either way they'll probably headline the sahara tent again

They'll be in the main stage.

microcuts
02-05-2008, 10:32 PM
People on the first line of any given day never play anything other than the main stage. Fact. And Paul Tollett already confirmed Kraftwerk (and Cafe) for mainstage.

suprefan
02-06-2008, 01:16 AM
People on the first line of any given day never play anything other than the main stage. Fact.

Ummm, very wrong, Decemberists played Outdoor Theatre last year. Bright eyes in 2005 closed Outdoor Theatre. AIR last year played Outdoor. Happy Mondays, Sahara. You sure got it on lockdown with the first line theory huh?