PDA

View Full Version : My Theory on why Jack Johnson is headlining.

junior30
02-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Seeing as how the hate for "headliner" Jack Johnson seems to be universal, I spent the better time of the last 2 weeks trying to come up with some kind of explanation on why Golden Voice thought that having Jack Johnson headline would be a good idea. I honestly can't see a a sane person in a meeting saying "Yeah, Jack Johnson. That's the Ticket!"

Anyway, yesterday I was reading an article on Yahoo! music which mentioned that Gwen Stefani recently announced that she was pregnant with her second child.

It's my theory that No Doubt was indeed set to headline a night, but when Gavin Rossdale knocked Gwen up, Golden Voice had to bump up the only other platinum selling artist they had on Friday, and as such, Jack Fucking Johnson is headlining.

If this is true, it also gives me faith Golden Voice is working to get someone, to replace them.

paulb
02-03-2008, 07:01 PM
i hope some huge names get added, it will make it all worth while.

orbit
02-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Did you really spend 2 weeks thinking about that?

So, No Doubt were originally booked for All Points West too?

betao
02-03-2008, 07:04 PM
and if that were the case... i think they would have asked the Verve to headline over JJ... but then again, why isnt that the case anyway?

rage patton
02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Jack Johnson is bigger then the Verve.

If this festival were in the UK, The Verve would be headlining over Jack Johnson.

goodgrl
02-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Didnt stefani tour while being pregnant with her first child.

roberto73
02-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Jack Johnson is bigger then the Verve.

If this festival were in the UK, The Verve would be headlining over Jack Johnson.

If this were the UK, would Jack Johnson be playing at all?

MassiveChemicalPunk
02-03-2008, 08:23 PM
It's my theory that No Doubt was indeed set to headline a night, but when Gavin Rossdale knocked Gwen up, Golden Voice had to bump up the only other platinum selling artist they had on Friday, and as such, Jack Fucking Johnson is headlining.

As crazy as this might sound, it's a valid theory. It does make sense, but I guess we will never know what drugs the execs were taking at GV to make them choose JJ as a headliner.

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2008, 08:33 PM
As crazy as this might sound, it's a valid theory. It does make sense, but I guess we will never know what drugs the execs were taking at GV to make them choose JJ as a headliner.

I want to know where I can get what they were on at the time. Well, nevermind, if it makes you do things along the lines of thinking JJ is an acceptable coachella hearliner then mybe I'd do better staying sober.

microlovebeat
02-03-2008, 08:47 PM
i don't think this why jack johnson is headlining

thelastgreatman
02-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Jack Johnson is headlining because, regardless of the board's thoughts, he's actually a draw. That's why. It will sell tickets.

rage patton
02-03-2008, 09:24 PM

I wouldn't think so.

Then again, Jay-Z is headlining Glastonbury...

chacamicaca
02-03-2008, 09:24 PM
There are a few reasons Jack Johnson and Portishead are headlining. The most valid theory is that GV spent their budget on Roger Waters. I'm sure he costs three times more than any headliner they've had. Secondly, Paul Tollet seems to pick from his own taste first and foremost, and he may be a big Jack Johnson fan. Third, I think the concept of this year is a gradual buildup to Roger Waters as the one and only headliner; in other words, rather than three distinct peaks, you have one grand finale with Waters (if you've seen his show, you know what I mean). Fourth, I'll bet Tollet was irritated with the Rage fans throwing shit at Crowded House, and he probably got heat from the Indio police for Saturday night's campground debacle, so maybe he thought, fuck it, we're going mellow this year. These are the components I see as the reason. BTW, I think the lineup kicks ass because it is unpredictable; nobody saw this coming:)

noisemachine
02-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Who cares? Why do we need "theories" to explain why he is playing? Fucking get over it.

chacamicaca
02-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Like I said, I think the lineup kicks ass. There's nothing for me to get over.

noisemachine
02-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm just tired of seeing these threads. Its like people are grieving and are trying to rationalize whats going on.

chacamicaca
02-03-2008, 10:36 PM
I agree. People bitch every year. I think Coachella has remained musically diverse and respectable, even moreso by putting up headliners that bug some indie hipsters.

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2008, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't think so.

Then again, Jay-Z is headlining Glastonbury...

Is this really true? Whats the source?

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Nevermind, google is my friend.

That REALLY SUCKS FOR THEM! I'd be pissed if I went to that festival.

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Like I said, I think the lineup kicks ass. There's nothing for me to get over.

Bingo. But you have to admit it was a WTF moment when Tollet announced JJ as a headliner.

HunterGather
02-04-2008, 03:46 AM
Didnt stefani tour while being pregnant with her first child.

Yes. Or at least she was ending the tour around that time.

vinylmartyr
02-04-2008, 04:29 AM
I think JJ is headlining is because he sells lots of tickets and was available. He has played twice before its not like some crazy stretch. I remember him playing Rodeo Clowns with G Love in 03. It was cool. Tons of people were watching him.

faxman75
02-04-2008, 06:30 AM
Jack Johnson is headlining because, regardless of the board's thoughts, he's actually a draw. That's why. It will sell tickets.

To what extent though? He last played theaters last time around. He's not a draw like say a Dave Matthews, nor is Portishead for that matter. The one of the three headliners that can do Arena's is Waters.

I'm not complaining at all, I think this is the best Coachella yet, but saying he's actually a draw doesn't really mean anything. ICP draws fans, doesn't mean GV would make money off them for their appearance at a Coachella.

BillyCrystal
02-04-2008, 11:21 AM
not a bad theory, but it seems like if they were planning to bumped jack johnson for someone else the whole time, they would have just waited to announce the lineup...i mean, if they'd waited until, like, this week, i don't think people would complain that much...

PierogiHead
02-04-2008, 11:43 AM
I am over who was chosen to headline, but just to throw out another "theory": Many of us have seen the "clues" given through Radio Bonnaroo, and if it really does turn out that the likes of Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Morrissey, Oasis, etc. are who they refer to, then it might just be that Goldenvoice didn't get to who they wanted to on time. Then again, those clues could be taken in all sorts of directions, in which case Bonnaroo might also be taking a queue from Coachella and scaling back to its format of mostly hippie/jam bands.

junior30
02-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Look, I'm not really complaining. Overall, I think the line-up kicks ass, and I can't wait for April to arrive.

However, if you can honestly say that you're reaction wasn't "What the Fuck?" when Jack Johnson was announced, then sir, Bonnaroo welcomes you.

M Sparks
02-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Bonnaroo might also be taking a queue from Coachella

Ehhh, they are welcome to it. The queues last year were way too long. Maybe they'll take the will-call queue.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Most people cant make it out fridays as it is, so why book a big name and tease, they probably want friday to be laid back is all. That being said, I feel as I did last year that fridays should be 15 to 20 dollars cheaper, since they start later too

TonyWonder
02-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Ehhh, they are welcome to it. The queues last year were way too long. Maybe they'll take the will-call queue.

This made me lol.

SFChrissy
02-04-2008, 01:38 PM
I agree. People bitch every year. I think Coachella has remained musically diverse and respectable, even moreso by putting up headliners that bug some indie hipsters.

BEAUTIFUL!!!

M Sparks
02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Most people cant make it out fridays as it is, so why book a big name and tease, they probably want friday to be laid back is all. That being said, I feel as I did last year that fridays should be 15 to 20 dollars cheaper, since they start later too

I'm not sure it will this year. Sunday's got the fewest acts right now. I think they're going to do Roger Waters Bonnaroo style...long set, with the other stages shut down early. (Or MAYBE a low level act in the Sahara for the last couple hours just for an alternative...kinda like having Evil Nine close last year during Bjork.)

Fri- 43
Sat-49
Sun-34

Wheres the beef?
02-06-2008, 07:25 PM
yawn

Astrid
02-06-2008, 07:36 PM
whether or not a lot of typical coachella fans are foaming at the mouth for JJ, the fact of the matter is, a lot of people like the guy, he pretty much Never plays anywhere but hawaii. he played some charity show at the santa barbara bowl last year that sold out, my mom nearly shit herself because tickets were going for $1000+ on ebay.

people like him. we dont. whatever.

Boourns
02-06-2008, 07:49 PM
A lot of people like Nickelback and Celine Dion, too. Does that make them good fits for Coachella headliners?

Stefachink
02-07-2008, 12:10 AM
There are a few reasons Jack Johnson and Portishead are headlining. The most valid theory is that GV spent their budget on Roger Waters. I'm sure he costs three times more than any headliner they've had. Secondly, Paul Tollet seems to pick from his own taste first and foremost, and he may be a big Jack Johnson fan. Third, I think the concept of this year is a gradual buildup to Roger Waters as the one and only headliner; in other words, rather than three distinct peaks, you have one grand finale with Waters (if you've seen his show, you know what I mean). Fourth, I'll bet Tollet was irritated with the Rage fans throwing shit at Crowded House, and he probably got heat from the Indio police for Saturday night's campground debacle, so maybe he thought, fuck it, we're going mellow this year. These are the components I see as the reason. BTW, I think the lineup kicks ass because it is unpredictable; nobody saw this coming:)

What's the talk about the campground debacle and Crowded House at last years Coachella? What happened? I wanna know! This is going to be my first year at Coachella so I'm sorry if i sound noob to you ..

labelguy
02-07-2008, 12:51 AM
He doesn't play theatres.. he plays ampitheatres. Last tour through Cali in 05 he played the RIMAC in San Diego, to over 15k and i believe two nights at the Greek in LA and 2 at the Greek in Berkeley.

New album came out on tuesday

Hitsdailydouble.com , a music industry site is reporting the following:

Finally, record sales have entered the new year.

And not a moment too soon.

Jack Johnson's new Brushfire Records album, Sleep Through the Static, has awakened music fans, according to one-day reports from our crack retail sources still working around this great country. The surfer-turned-singer-songwriter's first album since his 2006 Curious George soundtrack, looks set to move some 330k and, thanks to a huge Triple A smash in "If I Had Eyes," will easily debut at #1, with the added fillip of a Valentine's Day weekend. It's been #1 at iTunes since last year on pre-orders alone, and is on target to surpass Kanye West's one-week download record.

To what extent though? He last played theaters last time around. He's not a draw like say a Dave Matthews, nor is Portishead for that matter. The one of the three headliners that can do Arena's is Waters.

I'm not complaining at all, I think this is the best Coachella yet, but saying he's actually a draw doesn't really mean anything. ICP draws fans, doesn't mean GV would make money off them for their appearance at a Coachella.

sonofhal
02-07-2008, 01:05 AM

He's headlining at Hyde Park over here, which is bigger than anywhere The Verve have played on their comeback tour. His last tour over here sold out in a matter of seconds. I don't like him, i'm just sayin'.

Abe Lincoln
02-07-2008, 01:20 AM
What if Jack Johnson gets pregnant?
What then?

gaypalmsprings
02-07-2008, 05:33 AM
What if Jack Johnson gets pregnant?
What then?

Then he needs an enema.

roberto73
02-07-2008, 07:01 AM
He's headlining at Hyde Park over here, which is bigger than anywhere The Verve have played on their comeback tour. His last tour over here sold out in a matter of seconds. I don't like him, i'm just sayin'.

That really surprises me. Jack Johnson's appeal seems as selective as Jimmy Buffett. Or Hitler.

ifulmer
02-07-2008, 02:35 PM
It seems like a common theme this year that bands with new CDs coming out close to Coachella got placed unusually high on the poster. JJ just released a new cd on the 31st of Jan, slow down though, I don't want any of you to get hurt rushing out to go buy it.