PDA

View Full Version : downloading music is illegal.

skyfriends
02-03-2008, 05:32 PM
does anyone have a what.cd or waffles.fm account they would like to share?

i love you, in advance.

bmack86
02-03-2008, 06:23 PM
what.cd invites are closed right now.

skyfriends
02-03-2008, 06:26 PM
what.cd invites are closed right now.

honestly? what about waffles.fm?
Or other tracker worth anything.

I mean. Even Demonoid is gone.

thelastgreatman
02-03-2008, 06:30 PM
The fuck is wrong with isohunt? Or are you one of those .flac insistent freaks?

orbit
02-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Waffles invites were open the last couple of days, but are closed right now. They are open sporadically, so good luck to the inviter catching an open invite window.

skyfriends
02-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Actually, I hate FLAC. It's certainly not worth the 50MB per 3minutes of recording audio it wastes of your hard drive space.

I would just like to be able to find everything at the click of a button.

It probably won't ever happen, though.

Like, where the hell am I supposed to find Home Series Vol 1-3?

thelastgreatman
02-03-2008, 07:22 PM
isohunt or mininova

MarkO
02-03-2008, 08:06 PM
How about you fuckers go BUY the music you listen to ?

suprefan
02-03-2008, 08:14 PM
I buy music I listen to, but I still use the other places to find other stuff.

Like, where the hell am I supposed to find Home Series Vol 1-3?

At the store? Or some website that sells it?

Memorial_07
02-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Yup. I agree

skyfriends
02-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Yup. I agree

THIS IS THE DIGITAL GENERATION. BUYING MUSIC IS OBSOLETE. WE ARE THE BORG

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2008, 08:40 PM
I got over downloading music after napster got shut down.

Thanks lars... asshole.

goodgrl
02-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks lars... asshole.

AGREED!

drugks Gillespie
02-03-2008, 09:29 PM
isohunt.

skyfriends
02-04-2008, 04:42 AM
ISOhunt is shitty.

NEVER FORGET1cf2784y

goatparade
02-04-2008, 10:35 AM
i miss oink :(

Stainofmind
02-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Yup. I agree

I agree also. Stop being so cheap.

instinct
02-20-2008, 12:22 AM
I agree also. Stop being so cheap.

Theres a difference from being cheap and poor. Besides, The artist I really like, I'll see them in concert.. and maybe buy some merch.. They will see more of that money than they do with a CD.

Gyrus
02-20-2008, 12:37 AM

Couldnt of said it better myself.

leo01g
02-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Whats wrong with Limewire? I've never gotten a single virus and quality is pretty good sometimes.

boarderwoozel3
02-20-2008, 12:39 AM
How about burning friends CDs onto my itunes, then downloading to the ipod? I'm thinking thats legit.

Hannahrain
02-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Couldnt of said it better myself.

Clearly.

kreutz2112
02-20-2008, 07:19 AM
hahaha.

gaypalmsprings
02-20-2008, 07:19 AM
Theres a difference from being cheap and poor. Besides, The artist I really like, I'll see them in concert.. and maybe buy some merch.. They will see more of that money than they do with a CD.

Do you still host parties?

ZackQ
02-22-2008, 06:23 PM

Amen brotha. I am of humble means, and I consume a ridicolous amount of music. So rather than listening to the 1/8 of the music I do and paying for it, I just download, and save my money for shows, which is where the bands make some serious scratch anyway.

rAnimatorX2
02-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Amen brotha. I am of humble means, and I consume a ridicolous amount of music. So rather than listening to the 1/8 of the music I do and paying for it, I just download, and save my money for shows, which is where the bands make some serious scratch anyway.

No crap. Thats just being damn intelligent. No I don't spend CDs, but I spend a couple grand a year going to shows and festivals.

SFChrissy
02-25-2008, 11:48 AM

Can I ghetta Woot Woot!!!

MassiveChemicalPunk
02-25-2008, 11:48 AM
get Azureus Vuze and download from Btjunkie.org or isohunt

instinct
03-09-2008, 03:37 AM
Do you still host parties?

yeah

bmack86
03-09-2008, 02:22 PM
How about burning friends CDs onto my itunes, then downloading to the ipod? I'm thinking thats legit.

Apparently illegal.

sonofhal
03-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Do people still use torrents? Maybe for older shit and TV, but not for anything new (or, more likely, pre-release).

suprefan
03-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Do people still use torrents? Maybe for older shit and TV, but not for anything new (or, more likely, pre-release).

Yes, for EVERYTHING, new or old. Thats how it usually gets on the net first.

NiceArthur32
03-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I got over downloading music after napster got shut down.

Thanks lars... asshole.

napster in 2000 was way better than anything similar out now....
(bigger selection of files and more user friendly)

you would think that 8 years later we'd have something comparable....

but i don't download music...

it's illegal...

lowfront
03-09-2008, 08:12 PM
napster in 2000 was way better than anything similar out now....
(bigger selection of files and more user friendly)

you would think that 8 years later we'd have something comparable....

but i don't download music...

it's illegal...

you clearly don't download music

what and waffles arn't even comparable to napster because it blows it out of the water....

Robototron
03-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Yes, for EVERYTHING, new or old. Thats how it usually gets on the net first.

Some people will argue that it's the scene that gets shit on the net first, but even scene releases are pretty useless for music these days. Their dominance over the net is pretty much past.

sonfohal, what do you use if not torrents? There's really nothing better at the moment, the selection and quality of files on sites like Waffles, etc. isn't really comparable to anything else.

And lol @ people still using isohunt and, even worse, Limewire. I wish I had invites to spare just to show you guys the difference.

greghead
03-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Theres a difference from being cheap and poor

Who gives a fuck if you're poor? It's called living within your means. If you can't afford to go on vacation to Disneyland, then you don't get to go. It's the same with music, if you can't afford to be buying music, then you can't afford music; you're fucked. Get a job. Don't buy heroin. Whatever you have to do, but don't make excuses as to why you get to steal from people.

You want music for free? Turn on the radio.

Robototron
03-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Who gives a fuck if you're poor? It's called living within your means. If you can't afford to go on vacation to Disneyland, then you don't get to go. It's the same with music, if you can't afford to be buying music, then you can't afford music; you're fucked. Get a job. Don't buy heroin. Whatever you have to do, but don't make excuses as to why you get to steal from people.

You want music for free? Turn on the radio.

qzNTCxOJK3g

Stainofmind
03-09-2008, 09:35 PM
its just not fair that I buy music and people out there just download it for and not feel guilty. I actually give a shit about the band or artist. Have you guys of ever heard of buying your CDs at used cd stores or amazon has sellers that sell their used cds also. That is where I buy my music from.

what artists/bands should start doing is locking their albums to keep people from burning copies or uploading it to the net. If you want to upload it into your MP3 player it should come with an authorization code so you could download the mp3s which would also be locked.

Wheres the beef?
03-09-2008, 10:48 PM
its just not fair that I buy music and people out there just download it for and not feel guilty. I actually give a shit about the band or artist. Have you guys of ever heard of buying your CDs at used cd stores or amazon has sellers that sell their used cds also. That is where I buy my music from.

what artists/bands should start doing is locking their albums to keep people from burning copies or uploading it to the net. If you want to upload it into your MP3 player it should come with an authorization code so you could download the mp3s which would also be locked.

You do realize that the artist sees about 0.1% of the cost of that $20 CD you buy right? If you care about the artist you will go to their show when they are in town and you will buy a t shirt. The only thing downloading music does for artists is expose them to people who otherwise would not have heard of them and thus increase sales of live shows. Downloading music does not financially hurt artists. It hurts labels. And labels can suck a dick.

zenidogx
03-09-2008, 11:43 PM
RIP OiNK!

oh, how i miss the quality.

bmack86
03-10-2008, 12:16 AM

You are a dipshit. A complete and utter moron. You do realize that you aren't providing a single cent to the artists by buying used albums, right? The resale market serves only the vendors. What you're doing is paying for the same thing as an illegal download, and, yes, despite the fact that they don't enforce it, a recent case determined that sharing cds between friends and ripping an mp3 to your computer from a cd is illegal. You buy the rights to that shiny plastic disc, and nothing else. Ask most of the bands at Coachella, and they'll tell you that they support "illegal" downloading, because they don't make anything through major market sales. Their money comes from touring and tour merchandise. Get off your high horse, you've got saddle sores.

NiceArthur32
03-10-2008, 12:22 AM
you clearly don't download music

what and waffles arn't even comparable to napster because it blows it out of the water....

i used "macster" the mac version of napster and i could find some obscure ass music on there...

i use limewire every now and then for some songs but it effing sucks...

torrents are cool for whole albums or discographies...

and i've never used that waffle.fm site, so maybe thats better...

i just like to be able to download dustin diamond singing always and forever at a karaoke bar (which i found on macster)....

digitalface
03-10-2008, 12:41 AM
You are a dipshit. A complete and utter moron. You do realize that you aren't providing a single cent to the artists by buying used albums, right? The resale market serves only the vendors. What you're doing is paying for the same thing as an illegal download, and, yes, despite the fact that they don't enforce it, a recent case determined that sharing cds between friends and ripping an mp3 to your computer from a cd is illegal. You buy the rights to that shiny plastic disc, and nothing else. Ask most of the bands at Coachella, and they'll tell you that they support "illegal" downloading, because they don't make anything through major market sales. Their money comes from touring and tour merchandise. Get off your high horse, you've got saddle sores.

Word. And I buy it if I LOVE it. In theory, that could direct labels to the power supporting of GOOD music, not the product, since most bands have a hard time affording quality studio work. Mostly though, just d/l the fucking music and show love by buying tickets.

Stainofmind
03-10-2008, 12:56 AM

fuck you asshole.

back your shit up and tell me which bands support illegal downloading?

heres mine

some have mix feelings, some are against it but none are for it.

LAMB OF GOD, SOILWORK, DEVILDRIVER Singers Sound Off On Illegal Music Downloading
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=87411

NIGHTWISH Mainman Discusses Illegal Music Downloading
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=89865

OPETH Mainman On Illegal Music Downloading
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=89546

PRIMORDIAL Frontman: 'We Stand Opposed' To Illegal Music Downloading
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=85221

TOOL Frontman Sounds Off On Illegal Downloading
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=85019

OZZY OSBOURNE Says He's Been 'Suffering Terribly' From Illegal Music Downloading
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=83911

REZNOR On Illegal Downloading: 'The Reality Is That People Think It's OK To Steal Music'
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=83892

MUDVAYNE Singer On Illegal Music Downloading: 'Stealing Is Stealing'
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=82905

Theres more but that is all i am going to post. I want to know which bands support downloading music.

Theres nothing wrong with buying used CDs. If I see it at a used CD store its because the person who owned it before did not like it. The record label and band already made their money.

and to kingsblend420

Where do you buy your Cds at? I would never pay 20 dollars for a CD. Thats way too much. The most I'll pay is 14 dollars including tax. I buy my cds at best buy, circuit city, or Target. Fuck FYE. How do you think Tower Records and Sam Goody went out of business.

I fucken hate downloading music anyways because it sounds like shit.

bmack86
03-10-2008, 01:18 AM
LAMB OF GOD, SOILWORK, DEVILDRIVER Singers Sound Off On Illegal Music Downloading
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=87411

NIGHTWISH Mainman Discusses Illegal Music Downloading
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=89865

OPETH Mainman On Illegal Music Downloading
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=89546

PRIMORDIAL Frontman: 'We Stand Opposed' To Illegal Music Downloading
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=85221

TOOL Frontman Sounds Off On Illegal Downloading
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=85019

OZZY OSBOURNE Says He's Been 'Suffering Terribly' From Illegal Music Downloading
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=83911

REZNOR On Illegal Downloading: 'The Reality Is That People Think It's OK To Steal Music'
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=83892

MUDVAYNE Singer On Illegal Music Downloading: 'Stealing Is Stealing'
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=82905

These are your choices? How about the fact that Trent Reznor is a known and active member of many torrent communities, where he uploads his music FOR FREE, including the new Ghosts album, which he himself leaked. Or Gnarls Barkley, who, after their first single leaked, directed people to where they could download it for free. Do you see almost any of those bands playing Coachella? No, because they don't (with the exception of Tool and Trent) have the mindset of most Coachella bands; they are more established, and they would suffer were labels to die. Record labels are running an antiquated system, and bands are increasingly recognizing this, and responding in kind by releasing music on their own, either for free or for nominal fees,. It's becoming commonplace.

Stainofmind
03-10-2008, 01:24 AM
These are your choices? How about the fact that Trent Reznor is a known and active member of many torrent communities, where he uploads his music FOR FREE, including the new Ghosts album, which he himself leaked. Or Gnarls Barkley, who, after their first single leaked, directed people to where they could download it for free. Do you see almost any of those bands playing Coachella? No, because they don't (with the exception of Tool and Trent) have the mindset of most Coachella bands; they are more established, and they would suffer were labels to die. Record labels are running an antiquated system, and bands are increasingly recognizing this, and responding in kind by releasing music on their own, either for free or for nominal fees,. It's becoming commonplace.

it doesnt have to be bands playing coachella. I am talking about in general. I take that you did not bother reading the articles. If bands did not have record labels and were releasing it on their own would you still illegally download it or pay for it knowing that all the money is going to them and not anyone else.

bmack86
03-10-2008, 01:40 AM
I buy tons of music. On average about 6 CDs a week, and I go to about 3 or 4 shows a week. I download things because I'm not going to just buy an album without knowing what I'm getting into with an unknown band that I've read one good review about. It's more incentive if you buy from the band yes, but CDs are just flak now anyway, seeing as how everything is easier to carry digitally. Vinyl is still nice to own, but CDs are fading fast.

thelastgreatman
03-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Buggy whip factories were probably really pissed off about the invention of the motor car too. Music needs to accept the fact that technology has forced that it either find a new vehicle of distribution that will provide some quality attribute that cannot be digitized (highly unlikely) or just adapt to the fact that they're not going to make dick from selling the music itself. Get touring, music.

orbit
03-10-2008, 02:37 AM
I downloaded Ghosts directly from Trent on the trackers!

Did he tell what was his user name in oink?

jazzz
03-10-2008, 02:54 AM
downloading is just fucking lazy...

NiceArthur32
03-10-2008, 02:56 AM
Buggy whip factories were probably really pissed off about the invention of the motor car too. Music needs to accept the fact that technology has forced that it either find a new vehicle of distribution that will provide some quality attribute that cannot be digitized (highly unlikely) or just adapt to the fact that they're not going to make dick from selling the music itself. Get touring, music.

they should sell flash drives that come with the new album along with some videos and behind the scenes stuff and maybe throw in some old exclusive higher quality live recordings...

of course the flash drives would be all cool looking and be different with every artist... you could download the files to your comp and use the flash drive for files or whatever... or you could carry around your drives and plug them in to the flash drive players in cars or what not (which they should make too)...

i'd pay 12 bucks for that...

jazzz
03-10-2008, 02:59 AM
they should sell flash drives that come with the new album along with some videos and behind the scenes stuff and maybe throw in some old exclusive higher quality live recordings...

of course the flash drives would be all cool looking and be different with every artist... you could download the files to your comp and use the flash drive for files or whatever... or you could carry around your drives and plug them in to the flash drive players in cars or what not (which they should make too)...

what you pay for scratch n' sniff ??

NiceArthur32
03-10-2008, 03:04 AM
scratch n sniff?

depends...

details, please...

jazzz
03-10-2008, 03:10 AM
any artist of your your choice..

orbit
03-10-2008, 03:11 AM

http://www.gigwise.com/artists/Image/Radiohead-Limited-USB.jpg

$166.

PassiveTheory
03-10-2008, 03:14 AM

I would love it if this is what were to happen to Enter Shikari's music.

Or, better yet, the members of Enter Shikari themselves.

Artists get robbed when it comes to CDs, and even worse when it comes to digital sales. You know what the Hollywood Writer's Guild was striking over? Digital sales, among other things, because the studios, in their infinite wisdom, continued to distribute the wealth of digital sales (meaning webisodes, cellphone wallpapers; essentially the equivalent of ringtones) in a clearly slighting method for the writers.

Musicians, thankfully, have other means of income other than CD sales (even though the newest trend is that record companies are demanding shares of live sales in order to sign artists, which is a fucking travesty), but otherwise they'd be up shit creek like the television/movie writers are/were/have been.

In short, buying a record, unless from (virtually) the hands of the artist themselves, isn't an act of supporting an artist. It's an act of supporting the archaic system of record distribution that has screwed the artist for decades.

Seriously, go fucking read David Byrne's interview in Wired about record distribution and you'll understand how bands get shafted. Also, Metal music has ALWAYS been about greed (KISS), so if you're going to cite artists that have issues with file sharing, you shouldn't cite artists of the genre that spawned assholes like Lars Ulrich.

Then again, I bet Enter Shikari have some insightful thoughts in terms of file sharing that I know you want to quote. =D

jazzz
03-10-2008, 03:14 AM
shame you belt buckle losers

PassiveTheory
03-10-2008, 03:18 AM
That being said, I still buy CDs on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. Usually from the bargain bin, so I end up supporting the record store more so than the label.

jazzz
03-10-2008, 03:24 AM
That being said, I still buy CDs on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. Usually from the bargain bin, so I end up supporting the record store more so than the label.

bargin bin?? you must love your people... yeah your San Diego guitar rock people! shame on you you need to be listening to the Field or something!

NiceArthur32
03-10-2008, 03:39 AM
any artist of your your choice..

courtney love... i'd pay $2.50 extra for that..

thelastgreatman
03-10-2008, 03:46 AM

Still no good. Could download all that content just as easily and not dealing with multiple objects is one of the things that makes the ipod most useful. People are accustomed to being able to contain all the music in one object, they won't give a fuck. Plus, flash drives will be outdated technology in a couple years and most cars don't have them, but I'm assuming you were taking all that into account.

I'm talking about something equivalent to seeing a movie in theatres vs. downloading it and watching it at home. That's the only reason the movie industry isn't actually getting hurt by bittorrent (even though they claim they are)--they have a method of presentation that can't be replicated. To a certain extent this is basically analagous to seeing a live performance of a musician, which is why I'm convinced that when the record industry dies it will be replaced by a much greater emphasis on corporate involvement in live music.

They're going to have to give in eventually and just accept that within a few decades at most their music will have to be given away. And that's hardly as bad as we think, because they make most of their money touring as it is already. Unless someone invents some medium of containing music that produces sound quality vastly superior to digital formats and uniquely incapable of being cracked and digitized, they're shit out of luck. It could happen though. 3-D sound (not sure what that would mean)? New wavelengths? Something? Bueller?

thelastgreatman
03-10-2008, 03:48 AM
downloading is just fucking lazy...

Kill yourself, you worthless depository of diseased semen.

jazzz
03-10-2008, 03:49 AM
courtney love... i'd pay $2.50 extra for that..

ok... leave your door unlocked and patchouli your balls she'll be there in 30min

PassiveTheory
03-10-2008, 03:49 AM
bargin bin?? you must love your people... yeah your San Diego guitar rock people! shame on you you need to be listening to the Field or something!

What? That's totally incoherent. It's like saying 4 things at once. O.o;

jazzz
03-10-2008, 03:52 AM
Kill yourself, you worthless depository of diseased semen.

can't you do better then that?? come on you downloadable lazy twat..

NiceArthur32
03-10-2008, 04:01 AM
ok... leave your door unlocked and patchouli your balls she'll be there in 30min

funny thing is my doors are always unlocked and my balls stay patchoulied up...

thelastgreatman
03-10-2008, 04:01 AM
Can't you type in the least bit grammatically accurate? Like at all? Is English your first language or did your fathers, brothers, uncles and cousins keep you too busy raping your mouth for those first fifteen years of your life to learn? If sexual abuse had syntax and context though I'm sure you could be a professor of some sort.

jazzz
03-10-2008, 04:05 AM
What? That's totally incoherent. It's like saying 4 things at once. O.o;

LOL... incoherent is like when you hit the bargin bin cos' well fuck I'm incoherent and it's a buck and LGM raves about em'

jazzz
03-10-2008, 04:17 AM
funny thing is my doors are always unlocked and my balls stay patchoulied up...

shit dude.... you got company. The LGM is heading over to your crib now!

Astrid
03-10-2008, 04:39 AM
but breaking the law is my favoritest thing to do....

i must say though the feeling of buying a new much anticipated album, opening the plastic, peeling off the sticker, looking at the artwork...shit its erotic.

i just cant afford that shit anymore, if someone lowers my fucking tuition then perhaps i will start paying for music again

greghead
03-10-2008, 07:02 AM
I've also found that downloaded audio files are compressed and sound like absolute shit when compared with compact disc or vinyl. Even uploading discs to your hard drive changes the sound quality. But, the CD as a medium is essentially dead, it's just a matter of time until they're relegated to the back-corner of music stores like the vinyl is now.

I went into Best Buy for the first time in over two years, and they have a fucking MP3 download station. Is that new? Does anyone in here shop there enough to give me a rundown?

greghead
03-10-2008, 07:04 AM
And as a note to Arthur and LGM: both Radiohead and the TMV have released limited quanities of their new albums as multi-media flashdrives, with access to a webpage with new content monthly. At least, that was the last I had read. Oh, and they were a lot more than $12.

thelastgreatman
03-10-2008, 07:06 AM
My headunit reads mp3 CDs and I couldn't imagine actually going back to having an individual CD for every fucking album. Searching through a stack of 200 discs while driving is neither fun nor safe.

lowfront
03-10-2008, 07:51 AM
ya love my headunits ipoad adapter so I can control the ipod right through the head unit itself.

bmack86
03-10-2008, 09:43 AM
You people who are supporting album purchases as the only way to go, what are the last albums you bought? This will invariably say quite a bit about our different approaches.

orbit
03-10-2008, 10:28 AM
I've also found that downloaded audio files are compressed and sound like absolute shit when compared with compact disc or vinyl. Even uploading discs to your hard drive changes the sound quality.

Uhmm.. ever heard of FLAC format?

thelastgreatman
03-10-2008, 10:30 AM
It's not that easy to find most albums in flac though. In fact it's fucking brutally difficult unless you've got waffles or that other one.

MarkO
03-10-2008, 10:51 AM
You people who are supporting album purchases as the only way to go, what are the last albums you bought? This will invariably say quite a bit about our different approaches.

I bought the new Helio Sequence on vinyl at their show the other night. Before that, I bought Battles & Justice on cd; $8 or $9 apiece at Best Buy.

People can argue all they want that artists are only getting 10c or 25c or whatever from an album sale and that buying a teeshirt or a ticket helps the band more from a financial standpoint. This is probably all true but if a band doesn't sell albums, it doesn't get to tour beyond its backyard and it doesn't sell tees. Fullstop. A band cant tour 12mos a year (unless you're Phil Lesh) and its easy to saturate a market.

I hate record co's as much as the next guy but stealing albums (I d/l concerts) DOES screw the artist.

thelastgreatman
03-10-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't see how that follows. If one million people downloaded your album, why is that any different of a basis for your touring ability than one million buying it?

MarkO
03-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I don't see how that follows. If one million people downloaded your album, why is that any different of a basis for your touring ability than one million buying it?

Because touring costs $$$ upfront and bands get that $$$ from the record co. If you told your record co that your wanted 100k upfront for a tour based on 1M oink d/l's, he'd tell you to fuck off.

If 1M are too cheap to pay $10 for a cd (please spare me the cd's are $20! line), they're not going to spend $15 or so minimum + time to go the show for a concert.

orbit
03-10-2008, 11:07 AM
If 1M are too cheap to pay $10 for a cd (please spare me the cd's are $20! line), they're not going to spend $15 or so minimum + time to go the show for a concert.

So wrong.

thelastgreatman
03-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Also, not all tours are funded by the record label. What you're going to see happen as record labels die is tour labels will take their place. How do you account for non-label bands that successfully tour?

MarkO
03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
......... How do you account for non-label bands that successfully tour?

Who ?

MarkO
03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
So wrong.

No, I'm not. It's only the hardcore few (like people here) that go to shows regularly.

Astrid
03-10-2008, 01:37 PM
your logic is all fucked. there is no substantial correlation. yeah there are cheap people who just dont give a fuck, but those are the people that dont really care about music, and they werent buying cds or going to shows before, so if they are downloading music now its probably minimal. then there are people who dont really get off on live shows, but they werent going before either, so nothing has changed. and then there are the people who just download music because they cant afford/dont want to pay/whatever but will always still go to live shows. if anything it would make sense to presume that more availability-->more fans-->more people at your shows.

im a cheap bastard, i dont spend my money on pretty much anything but cigarettes these days, but i dont blink an eye spending fucking hundreds on going to shows.

PassiveTheory
03-10-2008, 03:50 PM
your logic is all fucked. there is no substantial correlation. yeah there are cheap people who just dont give a fuck, but those are the people that dont really care about music, and they werent buying cds or going to shows before, so if they are downloading music now its probably minimal. then there are people who dont really get off on live shows, but they werent going before either, so nothing has changed. and then there are the people who just download music because they cant afford/dont want to pay/whatever but will always still go to live shows. if anything it would make sense to presume that more availability-->more fans-->more people at your shows.

im a cheap bastard, i dont spend my money on pretty much anything but cigarettes these days, but i dont blink an eye spending fucking hundreds on going to shows.

Agreed. =D

bmack86
03-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Who ?

Vampire Weekend. No release, yet they sold out their whole tour and drew the interest of Sub Pop.

Crystal Castles. Without any major releases, they were booked to play the Roxy and other mid sized venues until the singer got injured in a car wreck.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Before they signed their distribution deal, they had already sold out the El Rey and the Troubadour in Los Angeles, no small feat by any means.

I could go on with this. Bands are reorganizing and finding new, better markets to attract fans. The music is just a calling card for the live show now, which is nice because bands that don't perform live and are just studio products are less likely to succeed, and it also allows for bands to develop on the road more fully. The network is growing.

MarkO
03-10-2008, 05:12 PM
....... I could go on with this. ....

Please do.

I accept your examples but lets see if they can make a career like this w/out selling albums. I don't think they can.

PrettyRagdoll
03-10-2008, 07:08 PM

You're so wrong it's crazy... I'd bet crazy money 90% of the people that go to Coachella and other music festivals and shows dl more music then they buy

i must say though the feeling of buying a new much anticipated album, opening the plastic, peeling off the sticker, looking at the artwork...shit its erotic.

i just cant afford that shit anymore, if someone lowers my fucking tuition then perhaps i will start paying for music again

To true

greghead
03-10-2008, 07:24 PM

Black Mountain "In the Future" and Cat Power "Jukebox". Oh, and Culture "When Two Sevens Clash"

And I support downloading, I just think you should pay something (1 penny, 10 dollars, whatever) for it.

thelastgreatman
03-10-2008, 08:14 PM

Actually there's a pretty substantial connection given that sales of CDs have dropped absurdly over the last five years. The first people to jump on every development of music sharing besides geeks are always music devotees.

Don't muck up the solid argument that wider and limitless access to music can be beneficial to bands' touring potential with a bunch of incorrect statements about how filesharing isn't affecting music purchases, because it clearly is.

MarkO
03-10-2008, 08:19 PM
......... Don't muck up the solid argument that wider and limitless access to music can be beneficial to bands' touring potential with a bunch of incorrect statements about how filesharing isn't affecting music purchases, because it clearly is.

I want to know how this ultimately benefits the bands though as its quite clear that people dont want to pay for music anymore and you can't reach every fan on the tour that is allegedly more popular now due to many more people hearing the music.

thelastgreatman
03-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I want to know how this ultimately benefits the bands though as its quite clear that people dont want to pay for music anymore and you can't reach every fan on the tour that is allegedly more popular now due to many more people hearing the music.

Because it would level the playing field and remove the corrupt, intrusive, and artistically-stifling record industry (as well as radio conglomerates) from dictating what music is heard by the populous. The focus shifts to touring (much more profitable for artists) and merchandise and independently produced physical media that cost much less for the consumer but garner much higher profits for the artists. Plus artists will get to retain the rights to their songs, own all their music, not get pressured into trying to make "singles," etc.

MarkO
03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
........ The focus shifts to touring (much more profitable for artists) and merchandise and independently produced physical media that cost much less for the consumer but garner much higher profits for the artists. Plus artists will get to retain the rights to their songs, own all their music, not get pressured into trying to make "singles," etc.

Sigh.

They're not going to successfully tour if no one knows who the hell they are.

thelastgreatman
03-10-2008, 09:41 PM
... and why in any possible imagination would the free and easy availability of all music through the internet result in less people listening to music? Have people stopped listening to music since Napster? You make no sense.

MarkO
03-10-2008, 09:47 PM
... and why in any possible imagination would the free and easy availability of all music through the internet result in less people listening to music? Have people stopped listening to music since Napster? You make no sense.

In your world, 5000 bands would have really cool websites that they run and you could buy tees and see when they're coming to town and d/l their music.

Now .... how do you filter thru those 5000 bands to see who you like ? or 500 bands ? You're not going to hear them on the radio, you're not going to see them on tv.

The pie is getting smaller. Music competes against video games and other things people are into now. Bands w/out labels are not going to sell much and they're not going to tour much because no one knows them which means their not going to make mioney on merch ........ rinse & repeat.

thelastgreatman
03-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Hey, have you heard of this site: www.myspace.com

bmack86
03-11-2008, 12:16 AM
or how about all those music sites like, say, Coachella message board, where informed people recommend music? Why the fuck are you even here?

NiceArthur32
03-11-2008, 12:18 AM
i wish i could download food...

i want a burger from burger planet...

=(

MarkO
03-11-2008, 01:11 AM
or how about all those music sites like, say, Coachella message board, where informed people recommend music? Why the fuck are you even here?

I've seen some of the recommendations from this board.

blech.

bmack86
03-11-2008, 01:41 AM
Then, I reiterate.

Why are you here, on a message board where you claim to not like the music recommended? There's a step in logic there that I can't make.

PassiveTheory
03-11-2008, 01:47 AM
Bryan, I'm all for what you're saying, but he did say "some" of the music... Not all of it.

thelastgreatman
03-11-2008, 04:51 AM
In your world, 5000 bands would have really cool websites that they run and you could buy tees and see when they're coming to town and d/l their music.

Now .... how do you filter thru those 5000 bands to see who you like ? or 500 bands ? You're not going to hear them on the radio, you're not going to see them on tv.

The pie is getting smaller. Music competes against video games and other things people are into now. Bands w/out labels are not going to sell much and they're not going to tour much because no one knows them which means their not going to make mioney on merch ........ rinse & repeat.

No, in my world--you know, the real fucking world that we've been living in for YEARS now--there's practically no way to see music on TV, the radio plays practically nothing any of us want to hear, but you can find as much music as you could possibly want through the internet. Where the fuck have you been?

brando4n82
03-16-2008, 11:24 AM
so which is better, waffles of what.cd? I must choose wisely

Wheres the beef?
03-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Haven't you been reading? Go buy your music! :rolleyes

brando4n82
03-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Who said I don't? I'm Going to Amoeba next week to stock up. Usually can't leave that place without spending $70-80.

instinct
03-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Because touring costs $$$ upfront and bands get that $$$ from the record co. If you told your record co that your wanted 100k upfront for a tour based on 1M oink d/l's, he'd tell you to fuck off.

WTF? Yes, They will. I do. I'm too god damn cheap to buy music, but i spend hundreds if not over a thousand on seeing shows a year. I fucking haven't bought any cds in years, but I spend $300 every year alone to go to Coachella.

Wheres the beef?
03-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Who said I don't? I'm Going to Amoeba next week to stock up. Usually can't leave that place without spending $70-80.

Thats not good enough. Kanye needs another 747.

MarkO
03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
WTF? Yes, They will. I do. I'm too god damn cheap to buy music, but i spend hundreds if not over a thousand on seeing shows a year. I fucking haven't bought any cds in years, but I spend $300 every year alone to go to Coachella.

You and I and others here that spend a lot on shows are the 1%, the exception to the rule. What you see in my sig is ~$700 just in tix alone, nevermind traveling there etc ...

I spend considerably more on going to shows than I do buying cd's but taking music w/out compensation is wrong. That's it.

SubBass49
03-19-2008, 09:41 PM
I buy music from musicians who have minor label or indie label deals...I also make it a point to go to their shows. When I do buy their CDs, I buy them directly from the artist's website or from their merch table at the show...that way they get a bigger cut of the profit.

When you buy a CD from a major label artist at a store like Best Buy, the artist gets barely anything...so the concept of supporting the artist has to go beyond just buying the CD at your local major retailer...if you really care about that.

I also picked up on a story the other day where artists are now suing the RIAA for their royalties collected in suits against people who downloaded their music...because the RIAA doesn't give a fuck about the musicians...just about their own bank accounts.

MarkO
03-19-2008, 09:46 PM
........... When I do buy their CDs, I buy them directly from the artist's website or from their merch table at the show...that way they get a bigger cut of the profit. ..........

I keep hearing this. Seeing some evidence to back it up .... not so much.

thelastgreatman
03-19-2008, 09:49 PM
but taking music w/out compensation is wrong. That's it.

Being naive enough to think that there are moral absolutes is funny.

C DUB YA
03-19-2008, 09:51 PM
yeah the only thing i hear about is the decline of the new band and how without a steady source of income how harder it will be for upcoming bands.

oh and f myspace.

suprefan
03-19-2008, 09:58 PM
so which is better, waffles of what.cd? I must choose wisely

Waffles,if you can even get an invite.

MarkO
03-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Being naive enough to think that there are moral absolutes is funny.

Hey, whatever you need to do to justify your sorry life ..........

SubBass49
03-20-2008, 08:27 PM
I keep hearing this. Seeing some evidence to back it up .... not so much.

I've only done it with minor & indie label acts...ones that sell their shit direct from their website. I would guess that most major label acts' websites are done through their labels anyway.

RoughSteez
01-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Looking for a what.cd invite, will trade for waffles invite. PM me if you are interested in making my day.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-09-2011, 09:10 AM
I've never seen someone as wrong as MarkO was in this thread

Neighborhood Creep
01-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I will never buy a CD again. Thanks internet.