frozen pilgrim
02-03-2008, 01:45 PM
his name is spelled
Gilmour
NOT
gilmoure
or gilmore
or gillmour.

and I think his lapsteel work is a critical element in dark side of the moon.

but he also wasn't a founding member of pink floyd.

Ill_Eagle
02-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks, I guess.

Cdubby
02-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Man landed on the moon

skyfriends
02-03-2008, 05:03 PM
was there a lot of question about all of this...?

frozen pilgrim
02-03-2008, 05:04 PM
not a lot of question, just a lot of people screwing it up over and over and over.

skyfriends
02-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I should probably make an English language clarification thread as well.

Just so we don't have to worry about people making asses of themselves over and over and over and over and over and over.

thelastgreatman
02-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I should probably make an English language clarification thread as well.

Just so we don't have to worry about people making asses of themselves over and over and over and over and over and over.

Were you trying to sarcastically point out some fault in the construction "over and over and over?"

frozen pilgrim
02-03-2008, 05:49 PM
probably. unfortunately for webster here, grammatically incorrect repetition is perfectly acceptable in informal writing as a creative method.

skyfriends
02-03-2008, 06:22 PM
So is misspelling surnames?

Anything could be?

thelastgreatman
02-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Not really. It's a proper noun. It's someone's name. It's not a stylistic option. Either way, my point is that you ought to be more careful of getting high-handed with grammatical observations around here. Some of us actually know what we're talking about.

skyfriends
02-03-2008, 07:02 PM
I don't doubt that.
I mean, you're the fellow who plans to consume a quarter vile of acid in a couple of days. You have GOT to know what you're talking about.

The English language is alive, god damn you.

Anything can be a stylistic option. Ask Burgess or Burroughs. Kafka or Kerouac.

However any one person would like to write their brain is the way it is written. There is no proper way to express yourself.

You are an asshole.
You make that evident over and over and over and over again.

I hope you become the whale's tail and the polo field eats you.

thelastgreatman
02-03-2008, 07:13 PM
This isn't a question of the English language. YOU'RE the one that made the stylistic judgment. HE was talking about being appropriately respectful of a man's name. Proper nouns are not "alive." They are definite terms.

However any one person would like to write their brain is the way it is written.

Nice sentence. How is it that I eat vials of acid and you're the one that can't string a coherent thought together?

skyfriends
02-03-2008, 07:31 PM
This isn't a question of the English language. YOU'RE the one that made the stylistic judgment. HE was talking about being appropriately respectful of a man's name. Proper nouns are not "alive." They are definite terms.

Nice sentence. How is it that I eat vials of acid and you're the one that can't string a coherent thought together?

Everything is alive. I intended for that sentence to be formed that way. I hate you with all of my soul.

Enjoy 5000 ug of hell, bastard.

frozen pilgrim
02-03-2008, 08:36 PM
one question, donut-puncher:
are you really suggesting that David Gilmour should be spelled any differently in the context of discussing his and/or pink floyd's music?
or are you just trolling, picking fights?
I fucking thought so.
go put your penis in an quadropedal animal.

menikmati
02-03-2008, 08:38 PM
can you tell us Coldplay sucks again? Not sure everyone has heard you yet.

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I thought Canadians were supposed to be cheery and nice.

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Everything is alive. I intended for that sentence to be formed that way. I hate you with all of my soul.

Enjoy 5000 ug of hell, bastard.

Why do I get the impression you're against abortion?

skyfriends
02-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Why do I get the impression you're against abortion?

Because you're an idiot.

skyfriends
02-03-2008, 09:31 PM
one question, donut-puncher:
are you really suggesting that David Gilmour should be spelled any differently in the context of discussing his and/or pink floyd's music?
or are you just trolling, picking fights?
I fucking thought so.
go put your penis in an quadropedal animal.

I just don't think it should matter how anybody spells Gilmouruouru as long as you know that they are talking about the most recent guitarist for Pink Floyd.

thelastgreatman
02-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Well then let's just disregard all rules of spelling, semantics, grammar, and syntax entirely. That should provide for effective communication. Are you illiterate by any chance?

skyfriends
02-04-2008, 03:41 AM
Well then let's just disregard all rules of spelling, semantics, grammar, and syntax entirely. That should provide for effective communication. Are you illiterate by any chance?

http://selfserve1.download.videoegg.com/gid369/cid1174/KY/L9/1169958709JKkyg7js4gFRYa7w2atx_thumbnail.jpg
Go fuck yourself with your atom bomb.

frozen pilgrim
02-04-2008, 06:51 AM
hey menik: why don't you print out your four thousand or so posts, start shoving them in each and every one of your dripping, infected, rotten orifices, and get back to me when you're halfway finished. is this thread about coldplay? don't bring that shit over here.

and skyfriends-
are you really such a fart-gulping douchenozzle that you think you can spell people's names however you like, as though everyone in the world should follow your retarded concepts of universal abstract identity?

thread had two purposes.

1) get people to spell David Gilmour's name right.
2) clarify to a few people that he wasn't actually a founding member of pink floyd

and as a sub-purpose, I wanted to point out that his most famous contributions to DSOTM (as in the bits people tend to remember the most) were on the lapsteel, not guitar.

comprende? or is someone pending for a bending?

menikmati
02-04-2008, 07:23 AM
:rotfl

faxman75
02-04-2008, 07:52 AM
and as a sub-purpose, I wanted to point out that his most famous contributions to DSOTM (as in the bits people tend to remember the most) were on the lapsteel, not guitar.

comprende? or is someone pending for a bending?

You are a complete and utter tool. lapsteel is a guitar. wtf do you think it is?

It's perfectly acceptable if you are not a douche to refer to a lapsteel as a guitar. So, no I don't comprende the reeason you would point out such a trivial fact. You can be more specific I suppose but overal it's not incorrect to call a lapsteel a guitar.

jigglypuflvr@mac.com
02-04-2008, 10:00 AM
25 hits of acid is like the one thing that i think COULD actually give you a heart attack at coachella. but make sure to say hi if you do it.

amyzzz
02-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Coldplay rulezzzz, man.

BillyCrystal
02-04-2008, 11:15 AM
i usually don't complain about people's threads, but dude, if people on a message board misspelling some guy's name is a big problem for you, your life must be pretty sweet...i mean, really...who cares?

breakjaw
02-06-2008, 08:33 AM
David Gilmour also discovered Kate Bush.I consider this his crowning achievement in music,actually.

traviscanada
02-06-2008, 05:58 PM
25 hits of acid is like the one thing that i think COULD actually give you a heart attack at coachella. but make sure to say hi if you do it.

I imagine a smaller dose could be quite pleasant.

frozen pilgrim
02-06-2008, 06:06 PM
You are a complete and utter tool. lapsteel is a guitar. wtf do you think it is?

It's perfectly acceptable if you are not a douche to refer to a lapsteel as a guitar. So, no I don't comprende the reeason you would point out such a trivial fact. You can be more specific I suppose but overal it's not incorrect to call a lapsteel a guitar.

gfys, fax.
have you ever fucking played a lapsteel?
not only is it completely different in construction and playing method, but it doesn't even generate sound in the same manner as a guitar.

the POINT was that gilmour's got a lot of skill on lapsteel. I haven't seen waters play one. I wonder if he'll play those parts live, or if someone else will?
and jesus christ. are fuckig coachella board reglars chewing ME out for getting anal about details? are you hypocritical bastards out of your god damned minds?

I've clarified two things:
one
David Gilmour is spelled
David Gilmour.
two
some of the most iconic stuff in DSOTM (i.e the instrumental harmony at the beginning of breathe) was played on lapsteel, not guitar.

traviscanada
02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
gfys, fax.
have you ever fucking played a lapsteel?
not only is it completely different in construction and playing method, but it doesn't even generate sound in the same manner as a guitar.

the POINT was that gilmour's got a lot of skill on lapsteel. I haven't seen waters play one. I wonder if he'll play those parts live, or if someone else will?
and jesus christ. are fuckig coachella board reglars chewing ME out for getting anal about details? are you hypocritical bastards out of your god damned minds?

I've clarified two things:
one
David Gilmour is spelled
David Gilmour.
two
some of the most iconic stuff in DSOTM (i.e the instrumental harmony at the beginning of breathe) was played on lapsteel, not guitar.

Have you seen Water's DSOTM tour? I am sure it must have stopped by Toronto? And for someone so anal about details, you would think spell check may be in order?

traviscanada
02-06-2008, 06:21 PM
As per some fan site:

"Rogers touring band

Graham Broad - drums
Andy Fairweather-Low - guitar
Snowy White - guitar
Dave Kilminster-guitar
Jon Carin - Keyboards
Harry Waters - keyboards
Katie Kissoon - vocals
PP Arnold - vocals
Carol Kenyon - vocals
Ian Ritchie - sax

Roger has said a few other
musicians are a possibility, stay
tuned!"

I do not recall Waters playing one of those Lapsteels in Calgary, so someone else might, but it is just listed as guitar? From what I have read Jon Carin has played the lapsteel previously live when touring with Roger Waters, so I am thinking maybe that will be the case again?

frozen pilgrim
02-06-2008, 07:30 PM
As per some fan site:

"Rogers touring band

Graham Broad - drums
Andy Fairweather-Low - guitar
Snowy White - guitar
Dave Kilminster-guitar
Jon Carin - Keyboards
Harry Waters - keyboards
Katie Kissoon - vocals
PP Arnold - vocals
Carol Kenyon - vocals
Ian Ritchie - sax

Roger has said a few other
musicians are a possibility, stay
tuned!"

I do not recall Waters playing one of those Lapsteels in Calgary, so someone else might, but it is just listed as guitar? From what I have read Jon Carin has played the lapsteel previously live when touring with Roger Waters, so I am thinking maybe that will be the case again?

sweet. thanks, dude.
I didn't catch waters last time he was here. I was working at the time as an engineer at the reverb, running sound, and that night, lights as well. I think it was rob smith, and someone else, and this local dub band, the resinators, and I'd promised the owner of the local headshop, who was promoting the show, that I'd engineer, because the guys at the reverb are crackheads and don't know how to use the gear their predecessors left behind.
I know that's a painfully stoner-y story, but I made good fucking money.

ANYWAYS.

yeah.
thanks for helping me out there.
has anyone seen the dvd gilmour put out from his on an island tour?
it was pretty good. a bit underwhelming visually at times, but totally amazing and over the top at times as well.
and bowie sings the encore.
it's amazing.
but yeah. they play the first fifteen minutes or so of DSOTM, and gilmour's lapsteel work is just beautiful to watch.

edit::
looks from the above lineup that waters just sticks to bass the whole time. that's cool, I respect him dedicating himself to an instrument, if that's what he's doing.
I also challenge them to play "one of these days"