PDA

View Full Version : Underworld could be likely.

HongKongDon
02-02-2008, 03:14 AM
Underworld added to ultra Music festival 10 in miami on March 29th....Going from east coast to west 3 weeks after for coachella could be a possibility. They were there last year at Ultra festival...I'm pretty sure that they will be at coachella as GV had'nt addd them last year and it has been at least four years since they came to indio.

sbessiso
02-02-2008, 04:30 AM
i understand that a lot of you would be happy, but im hoping no, i really need a good old fashioned rock band, or maybe a rapper or SOMETHING, i cant take anymore of this

MassiveChemicalPunk
02-02-2008, 05:43 AM
i understand that a lot of you would be happy, but im hoping no, i really need a good old fashioned rock band, or maybe a rapper or SOMETHING, i cant take anymore of this

or Underworld AND a good old fashioned rock band :dumbo

Rowrrr
02-02-2008, 06:20 AM
I really hope not. They were a real snoozer at the Hollywood Bowl last Summer. Nothing at ALL like when I saw them back in 1996 with Emmerson....

<-----spoiled?

It's funny though, a friend of mine was just sharing his story about the last Underworld show with me. Somebody gave him a pot brownie at a picnic before the concert. He went and found his seat, saw their first number, walked away to use the restroom, but then just kept on walking and grabbed a cab home. Classic. :p

captncrzy
02-02-2008, 06:21 AM
I'm not counting on any additions; I'm going as-is...if others get added, then so be it.

Rowrrr
02-02-2008, 06:33 AM
I'm not counting on any additions; I'm going as-is...if others get added, then so be it.

Ditto. I'm beyond pleased by the small print lineup this year... and by "beyond pleased" I mean "fucking excited." As far as electronic stuff goes, SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO! Fuck yeah.

devachan
02-02-2008, 09:55 AM
I really hope not. They were a real snoozer at the Hollywood Bowl last Summer. Nothing at ALL like when I saw them back in 1996 with Emmerson....

<-----spoiled?

It's funny though, a friend of mine was just sharing his story about the last Underworld show with me. Somebody gave him a pot brownie at a picnic before the concert. He went and found his seat, saw their first number, walked away to use the restroom, but then just kept on walking and grabbed a cab home. Classic. :p

Perhaps you were at a different show than I. They were fucking incredible. I have never seen a crowd go crazy for an act like that at the Hollywood Bowl. EVER. People were dancing in the aisles and everywhere.

b8CplamJcos

Do you see anyone SNOOZING in this video?
m7k1O1yNL18

They need to play Coachella, if not this year, then 09.

Derekx
02-02-2008, 10:02 AM
If only they did.

ani boy
02-02-2008, 10:03 AM
yeah at the Hollywood bowl show even some 50 year old guy next to me was getting down, that show was the best!

Harrisment
02-02-2008, 10:24 AM
I would be soooooo happy if they added Underworld. More than anyone else thats the addition I want. I fly from Texas to Boston last fall to see them and it was an amazing show!

n3glect
02-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Perhaps you were at a different show than I. They were fucking incredible. I have never seen a crowd go crazy for an act like that at the Hollywood Bowl. EVER. People were dancing in the aisles and everywhere.

They need to play Coachella, if not this year, then 09.

Not in the boxes. People were sitting politely and enjoying their Brie.

But that's to be expected.

What's not to be expected is how the band has completely lost its sense of crowd interaction since the departure of Emerson. They could read the crowd and have them eating out of the palm of their hand. Now they just go about their thing. Whatever.

I realize most on this board didn't get a chance to see them with Emerson, but it was a completely different ball game. :)

The Bowl show was nice and all.. but it really was quite disappointing for those of us who were lucky enough to see their shows in the mid-90s.

I'm glad they still make some people happy.

KungFuJoe
02-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Not in the boxes. People were sitting politely and enjoying their Brie.

But that's to be expected.

What's not to be expected is how the band has completely lost its sense of crowd interaction since the departure of Emerson. They could read the crowd and have them eating out of the palm of their hand. Now they just go about their thing. Whatever.

I realize most on this board didn't get a chance to see them with Emerson, but it was a completely different ball game. :)

The Bowl show was nice and all.. but it really was quite disappointing for those of us who were lucky enough to see their shows in the mid-90s.

I'm glad they still make some people happy.

Unfortunately I didn't see Underworld when Emerson was part of the group. However, I do not know what you are talking about when you say they've lost their sense of crowd interaction. Bullshit. Maybe it was more when he was in the band, but that's something I wouldn't know. What I do know is that Underworld put one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen when I saw them in Central Park this summer. Also, they are a band that possibly has the best interaction with their fans. Whether it be at a show or just in general. Have you listened to their dirty radio or watched the live webcasts lately? They had the crowd going nuts for 2 hrs in Central Park. Perhaps it was more a matter of the yuppies sitting in the boxes, eating their brie, being to stuffy to get up & shake a leg. A band can only give as much as they get sometimes.

algunz
02-02-2008, 03:51 PM
I saw them in the mid 90's and I saw them at the Bowl. n3glect, you need to cut back on the Xanax if you think they still don't put on a high energy show.

Westy
02-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl and they were fantastic. The first half of the set was more of their mellow stuff, then the second half was high energy. Here is one of my clips (notice the crowd going crazy)...

qpkQ60byVhM

Rowrrr
02-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl and they were fantastic. The first half of the set was more of their mellow stuff, then the second half was high energy. Here is one of my clips (notice the crowd going crazy)...

qpkQ60byVhM

I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope you get what you want out of Coachella this year.

gibsonorbust
02-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Damn, those videos are sick.

Rowrrr
02-05-2008, 09:21 PM

Perhaps I'm even further spoiled by having been to the Basement Jaxx show at the bowl two years prior. THAT was the most explosive night I've even seen at the bowl as far as crowd enthusiasm goes. I was expecting as much from the Underworld gig, but only ended up getting about 1/3 of what I'd seen before. I also thought that the volume was a little too low that night as well.

Oh well... I'll be happy for you all getting to see Underworld again if they get booked at Coachella. I'll personally take a pass though... :p

n3glect
02-06-2008, 12:13 PM
I saw them in the mid 90's and I saw them at the Bowl. n3glect, you need to cut back on the Xanax if you think they still don't put on a high energy show.

They certainly try.. but their days of reading the crowd and dragging out Rez to a break that just makes everyone go insane seems to have passed them. It feels more now like you're just watching the Everything Everything video. They aren't playing and adapting to the crowd like they used to. That's all.

I also agree that playing in a "dinner theater" setting probably doesn't help matters either. But I felt that the Wiltern and Coachella 03 shows were lackluster as well, when compared to Organic 96 or Civic Auditorium 99.

triceratops oatmeal
02-06-2008, 12:36 PM
They certainly try.. but their days of reading the crowd and dragging out Rez to a break that just makes everyone go insane seems to have passed them. It feels more now like you're just watching the Everything Everything video. They aren't playing and adapting to the crowd like they used to. That's all.

Yeah, except when they play tracks off of Oblivion with Bells right?

Sure they may have been "better" when they were still in their prime, but as far as I'm concerened they still bring it 10x fucking harder than a lot of other groups out there. I don't care what you think.

digitalface
02-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Y'know, they're pros and they still sound great, if not as crowd-reactive. Something about Karl is just totally charming, and he makes dancey feet happy. Saw them last year in SF and I'd totally see them again, especially if they bring those neat-o light-up inflatables.

jonnypark
02-06-2008, 10:37 PM
All I know is Born Slippery and that song is damn awesome, perhaps I should listen to more Underworld

traviscanada
02-06-2008, 10:39 PM
All I know is Born Slippery and that song is damn awesome, perhaps I should listen to more Underworld

The hats Jukebox has that, much to the dismay of the older/metal head/maritime crowd that frequents it.

jonnypark
02-06-2008, 10:45 PM
nothing like using a juke box annoy every other patron in the bar

traviscanada
02-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Its true, especially the older kind that allows you to play the same 6 minute song 7 times in a row.

Jakewc151
02-06-2008, 11:25 PM
I would much rather see Prodigy on the lineup..

I don't really understand all the hype about Underworld. I caught them in SF last year at the warfield.. I didn't have nearly as much of a good time as I did when I caught Prodigy at the Fillmore...

rage patton
02-06-2008, 11:35 PM
The Prodigy>Underworld>The Chemical Brothers.

Nothing would make me more excited then if The Prodigy were added.

Actually, Madness being re-added to the line up would. Other then that, short of a FNM reunion, nothing!

cooperb1
02-06-2008, 11:57 PM
this would be grate

digitalface
02-07-2008, 12:01 AM
this would be grate

Are you being punny?

digitalface
02-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Underworld added to ultra Music festival 10 in miami on March 29th....Going from east coast to west 3 weeks after for coachella could be a possibility. They were there last year at Ultra festival...I'm pretty sure that they will be at coachella as GV had'nt addd them last year and it has been at least four years since they came to indio.

Espesh if Fatboy walks.

So I'm not trying to spread brushfire rumours - but Jason Bentley said it not me.

Was just listening to Metropolis (KCRW) and Jason Bentley said he wasn't sure but he heard Fat Boy Slim is off the line up??!! But I've heard him say a lot of innacurate things in the past and I can't imagine GV would let that happen... maybe he's pissed he's got lower billing than Justice and My Morning Jacket. I made them take my name off the poster when they tried to put it passed the Cool Kids.

if this is the case and they don't replace him with basement jaxx I'll probably throw in the towel. you'll miss me, don't lie.

daft$tar
02-08-2008, 09:42 AM
FOR FUCKS SAKE GOLDENVOICE ADD UNDERWORLD

bohrdoms
02-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Perhaps I'm even further spoiled by having been to the Basement Jaxx show at the bowl two years prior. THAT was the most explosive night I've even seen at the bowl as far as crowd enthusiasm goes. I was expecting as much from the Underworld gig, but only ended up getting about 1/3 of what I'd seen before. I also thought that the volume was a little too low that night as well.

Amen sista! Jaxx at the Bowl is THE most bananas show I've ever seen in my fucking entire span on this wacky planet.
The place was bouncing like a bull with his nuts in a vice. seen daft 3 times, beasties a bunch (once With Rage), jaxx at detour and coach, Tool, NIN, Justice in a place the size of my bathroom, !!!, No One quaked it like that night.
I have that ticket stub hanging on my wall.
i've never felt closer to our hairy bone swinging ancestors than dancing in the aisles, And in the boxes at the bowl. No one was eating Brie, 7 year olds, 50 year olds, they were all shaking and sweating. (also an amazing light show for all the acts)
Love to hear acknowledgment of how off the wall that was - I think the jaxx are way underrated. They may not produce with the finesses of Daft but they pump it up like no one.