PDA

View Full Version : So I finally bought the Wall....

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I never heard the whole album and always held off buying it because of how pricey it was....I have owned DSOTM for like ever and Piper At the Gates of Dawn as well..so this is my 3rd Pink Floyd album...Should be fun....

brando4n82
02-01-2008, 11:42 AM
wow...

well shit, congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Let us know what you think

JSam67
02-01-2008, 11:42 AM
I borrowed my uncle's copy...for a couple years, when I was in high school. I never liked it as much as DSOTM, but it's still incredible. It's so great when you actually have enough time set aside to actually listen to it.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-01-2008, 11:44 AM
I figured it is going to be awhile before I have time to listen to anything else, if I really give it the time it deserves....

canexplain
02-01-2008, 12:04 PM
I figured it is going to be awhile before I have time to listen to anything else, if I really give it the time it deserves....

once you give it a good listen, watch the vid too ... pretty awsome all in all ... bob g plays the major part and like when him and that girl are in the hotel room she even yells out what is on the lp (forgot exact what she said, something about the bathroom or taking a bath) ... talk about a downward spiral, wow, heavy flick but odd like PF... canx**

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-01-2008, 12:37 PM
once you give it a good listen, watch the vid too ... pretty awsome all in all ... bob g plays the major part and like when him and that girl are in the hotel room she even yells out what is on the lp (forgot exact what she said, something about the bathroom or taking a bath) ... talk about a downward spiral, wow, heavy flick but odd like PF... canx**

My Fiancee was shocked when I told her I never saw the movie either....maybe on my next day off....

Sexecutioner
02-01-2008, 12:44 PM
jesus man, you got some catching up to do! better late than never though i suppose. :)

SFChrissy
02-01-2008, 12:45 PM
I think my favorite song is "wish you were here"!!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-01-2008, 12:47 PM
jesus man, you got some catching up to do! better late than never though i suppose. :)

Yeah, I held it off for the longest time because it is never cheap to buy...always "I'll buy later"...but with Coachella coming and Roger Waters probably playing tracks from it..might as well get cozy with it...

scoop49er
02-01-2008, 01:58 PM
the wall is a brilliant album. i was 8 when that album came out in 79 so i didnt really give it a good listen till around 1989 when i was 18 and really starting to get into rock. its a must have for anyone. just a great concept album . the movie isnt that great but it does tell the story fairly well. thee is a live album out there of the wall as well. good stuff. enjoy!

Alchemy
02-01-2008, 03:57 PM
I think the best song by Pink Floyd is "See Emily Play". I wish Roger Waters would play it, but I highly doubt he will...

Yeah, that's not from The Wall, but still.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I think the best song by Pink Floyd is "See Emily Play". I wish Roger Waters would play it, but I highly doubt he will...

Yeah, that's not from The Wall, but still.

AH! A Syd Barrett track! I lurve that song!

smoke
02-01-2008, 05:27 PM
definitely watch the movie, it really helps you understand the music better.

admittedly, you do start to feel a little insane yourself towards the end of it.

noisemachine
02-01-2008, 09:28 PM
I recommend picking up "Wish You Were Here" as well.

algunz
02-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Agreed, "Wish" is their best album.

I'm completely flummoxed by the fact that every time VH1 airs the movie. It describes "The Wall" as a documentary. I understand that a lot is based on Syd, but it's not a fucking documentary.

disgustipated
02-01-2008, 11:38 PM
I have The Wall on laser disc.

Sexecutioner
02-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I have The Wall on laser disc.

LOL! i remember having a laser disc player. talk about a failed format, thats up there with betamax.

damn, that sounded nerdy, didnt it.

corbo
02-01-2008, 11:49 PM
i hope roger waters sings "hey you" during an encore...thats such a great song.

breakjaw
02-02-2008, 01:35 AM
I like The Wall album a lot more than I like the movie.It's almost like the movie tried to make this intensely personal,achingly self-revealatory document too literal.
I feel like Alan Parker was the wrong choice of director for this.The animation scenes are incredible,sure,but the image I got in my head listening to the album did not have all the Fascist imagery that I now associate with it.

vinylmartyr
02-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Agreed, "Wish" is their best album.

I'm completely flummoxed by the fact that every time VH1 airs the movie. It describes "The Wall" as a documentary. I understand that a lot is based on Syd, but it's not a fucking documentary.

http://pink-floyd.ru/albums/atom/cover.jpg

breakjaw
02-02-2008, 01:50 AM
I agree with Jeff.I also like "Meddle".

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-02-2008, 05:43 AM
so I finished listening to the second cd (haven't listen to the 1st yet) and I have to say it is by far the oddest Pink Floyd album I have heard yet...

vinylmartyr
02-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Yeah you fucked it up.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Yeah you fucked it up.

I figured that...I just really wanted to listen to Comfortably Numb on the bus...

GnarVee
02-02-2008, 07:31 AM
favorite song off THE WALL has to be 'GOODBYE BLUE SKY' ....haunts me everytime.......reallly sets the tone!

canexplain
02-02-2008, 07:44 AM
favorite song off THE WALL has to be 'GOODBYE BLUE SKY' ....haunts me everytime.......reallly sets the tone!

i thinks it funny, someone will post "xxx is my fav song" and i go yea, then someone else posts a different song, and i go yea lol ..... thank you Pink Floyd .... ron****

brando4n82
02-02-2008, 08:43 AM
http://pink-floyd.ru/albums/atom/cover.jpg

i dont know what Atom Heart Mother has to do with the post you responded to, but an absolute amazing piece of work by Floyd, one of Floyd's least favorite albums actually. if you ever get a chance, listen to it on acid. "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" is such a hauntingly beautiful track.

noisemachine
02-02-2008, 08:50 AM
I've been thinking of picking up some of the lesser-known Floyd albums, such as Atom Heart Mother. I have DSOTM, The Wall, Piper, Wish You Were Here and Animals. All of them are great.

What do other people think of AHM, and some of the others like Final Cut?

GnarVee
02-02-2008, 08:54 AM
....hence Roger Waters headlining sunday.....DSotM in the desert night sky will be EPIC!!!!!!

Memorial_07
02-02-2008, 09:43 AM
The Wall is such a masterpiece.
Every song on that album is amazing.
Especially the favorite "Comfortably Numb"
And hopefully RW will play that song to finish his set off.

Oh, GnarVee, you are totally right about DSOTM in the desert.
The light show alone will be better than JJ.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-02-2008, 10:39 AM
I hear Meddle is a great album...can anyone confirm that?

chiapet
02-02-2008, 10:59 AM
My dad listened to some PF but I don't remember hearing much from the Wall, then randomly one night driving home and scanning through radio stations, found a station that I'd never picked up before, that was playing the album in its entirety. I'd tuned in part of the way through but kept listening and heard most of it that night. That random radio station was the greatest find of my junior/senior year of HS. It turned out to be a college station that we could barely pick up, there were many static-filled nights spent straining to listen to decent music instead of the local country stations :)

PassiveTheory
02-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Was it 88.1?... Cause, if you were still in SF, you might have been picking up faint signals from KZSC.

anti-square
02-02-2008, 02:45 PM
BOkx98oHjJM

canexplain
02-02-2008, 04:08 PM
I've been thinking of picking up some of the lesser-known Floyd albums, such as Atom Heart Mother. I have DSOTM, The Wall, Piper, Wish You Were Here and Animals. All of them are great.

What do other people think of AHM, and some of the others like Final Cut?

i thing floyd is somewhat like the beatles, "what are some of the other good beatles albums, because i dont want to bother or listen to the crappy releases" .. no such critter .. just some better then others .... canx**

bmack86
02-02-2008, 05:06 PM
start with Meddle. That one is fantastic. Atom Heart Mother has some cool stuff, and the reissue of Ummagumma is awesome.

chiapet
02-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Was it 88.1?... Cause, if you were still in SF, you might have been picking up faint signals from KZSC.

No, this was in the sticks near WV, pretty sure it was Pitt's (UPittsburgh) student station.

wmgaretjax
02-02-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm not too keen on The Wall to be honest. My favorites are Wish You Were Here, Saucerful of Secrets and Ummagumma.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm not too keen on The Wall to be honest. My favorites are Wish You Were Here, Saucerful of Secrets and Ummagumma.

Wish You Were Here is, indeed, their best work. As far as the rest of this comment goes, duplicate the FUCK YOU from Upcoming Shows. I hate you, Jared. How's your girlfriend and my kid?

=)

wmgaretjax
02-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Wish You Were Here is, indeed, their best work. As far as the rest of this comment goes, duplicate the FUCK YOU from Upcoming Shows. I hate you, Jared. How's your girlfriend and my kid?

=)

sweet. you get to pay child support... I'll buy my next car with it...

ya bitch.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Would it make you just as happy if I bought a car instead and let you use it to leave when I swing by to bang her?

M Sparks
02-03-2008, 05:18 AM
LOL! i remember having a laser disc player. talk about a failed format, thats up there with betamax.

damn, that sounded nerdy, didnt it.

No...this is nerdier.

First of all, Betamax was vastly superior to VHS...it was Sony's greed that killed the format. Broadcast TV still uses offshoots of Beta to this day...I have a Betacam deck sitting next to me right now. There are two digital formats that use Beta tape...Betacam SX and Digi-Beta...and there's also HDCam.

The other cool thing about Beta was that in the mid 80s, they introduced PCM audio recording to some of the higher end consumer decks. PCM is essentially the same as a CD or a WAV file. So people used to use them to make 6 hour long, digital mix tapes. I read about a guy who had one in his car somehow- like mounted in the trunk with a 12volt converter.

As for Laser Discs, they had a very long life...popular for several years past the introduction of DVDs. I used to work at a Wherehouse...we didn't stock Laser Discs, but we sold a ton of them by special order. There used to be this tall creepy guy who would come in and order these second rate movies on Laser Disc...always thought it was weird that anyone would buy stuff like The People Under The Stairs for $40. This was pre-IMDB...turns out the guys name was Everett McGill and he was the villain in People Under The Stairs, plus he was on Twin Peaks. He was just buying all the movies he was in.

Now, you want to talk failed format...that would be CED. It was supposed to be a cheaper alternative to Laser Disc. The discs were like a Mini-Disc- sealed inside a plastic sleeve- but they were 12" across. They were actually read with a needle!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ed/Ced_cart2.jpg/200px-Ced_cart2.jpg

Nobody outnerds me.

M Sparks
02-03-2008, 05:21 AM
I like The Final Cut, but I seem to be the only one.

If Waters does the full set he's been doing, he'll be doing some Final Cut stuff. That was his last baby with PF.

sacleonard
02-03-2008, 07:50 AM
I like The Final Cut, but I seem to be the only one.

If Waters does the full set he's been doing, he'll be doing some Final Cut stuff. That was his last baby with PF.

I like "The Final Cut," but it was essentially a Roger solo CD. The others had no writing input, and I believe that Richard Wright wasn't even given credit as a band member. Recording was done separately, and the band had broken up by its release.

I like "Dark Side..." and "Wish..." best, as these were their best collaborative efforts. Next for me is "Piper," followed by "The Wall." I have always appreciated Waters, but enjoyed Gilmour, so I probably enjoy the post-Waters CDs more (and "Animals" less) than most other PF fans.

Finally, of al the CDs between "Piper" and "Dark Side...," I prefer "Meddle." I think that "Echoes" is a masterpiece.

Hawkings
02-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I like "The Final Cut," but it was essentially a Roger solo CD. The others had no writing input, and I believe that Richard Wright wasn't even given credit as a band member. Recording was done separately, and the band had broken up by its release.

I like "Dark Side..." and "Wish..." best, as these were their best collaborative efforts.

jah, what he said

the wall, movie and album, are so dark and disturbing... like when he shaves off his eyebrows, embraces his anger and goes Facist. The message of being on the outside of mainsteam, "with the bleeding hearts and artists" at the end seeing things as they are reminds me of the Allegory of the Cave.

About other Floyd albums I like "Meddle" for Echos and One of These Days

the Final Cut seemed kinda of like the first Rodger Waters solo album, and is darkness of The Wall kinda of continued, like talking about Japan ,"it can't be much fun for them, beneath their rising sun, with all their kids committing suicide" and ... "i never had the nerve to make the final cut"

wmgaretjax
02-03-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm totally going Fascist tomorrow.

joppy-slow
02-03-2008, 01:58 PM
I think my favorite song is "wish you were here"!!!

3DXCHa9BYfE

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-10-2008, 07:03 AM
:bump

After listening to the Wall and liking it very very much...I went and bought another Pink Floyd Album....Animals...so far so good...

canexplain
02-10-2008, 09:27 AM
:bump

After listening to the Wall and liking it very very much...I went and bought another Pink Floyd Album....Animals...so far so good...

i love the animals lp .... baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... canx**

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-10-2008, 01:02 PM
i love the animals lp .... baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... canx**

I have had the 3rd track stuck in my head all day at work....I am not even sure what the lyrics are but I have been humming them all day...

canexplain
02-10-2008, 01:33 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/1111111.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animals_(album)

canx**

canexplain
02-10-2008, 01:37 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/DSC04849.jpg

here's a pretty sweet one ... canx**

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-10-2008, 01:50 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/1111111.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animals_(album)

canx**

you know what is funny about this? I never noticed the Pig in the sky on the album cover until I bought the album...

canexplain
02-10-2008, 01:55 PM
80 percent of the people i know hate this lp and this group, eh to each his own .... i know i recorded a live broadcast of this one year in so kali , on a teac reel to reel no less, and spent xmas and ny's living this 24/7 .. canx**

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/Topographic1.jpg

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-10-2008, 01:58 PM
80 percent of the people i know hate this lp and this group, eh to each his own .... i know i recorded a live broadcast of this one year in so kali , on a teac reel to reel no less, and spent xmas and ny's living this 24/7 .. canx**

I own this on vinly actually...my dad gave me all his old Lps and this was one of them...

Wheres the beef?
02-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I've been big on collecting live Floyd for a long time and The Wall era had some real epic shows. Although the tours 72-74 are my favorite, The Wall era has the benefit of tapers using better technology. If you are looking to get into live Floyd (audio or video) this is a real handy dandy source: http://www.yeeshkul.com.

BobCaygeon
02-10-2008, 07:08 PM
I seem to remember an episode of WKRP in Cincinatti where Dr. Johnny Fever is playing Animals, and the station manager comes in and asks "Is that a dog barking?". Or something like that.

Does anybody know if I'm remembering correctly?

BobCaygeon
02-10-2008, 07:10 PM

My understanding is that soundboard recordings of this tour are beyond rare. How's that teac running these days?