PDA

View Full Version : Arriving Friday morning- pain in the ass?

M Sparks
02-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey, I live about 5 1/2 hours away. My wife may have to work on Thursday, so that means pulling into the campground around 10pm.

I'm thinking about either heading south to Phoenix or west to Lake Havasu Thursday night. Both are about 3 1/4 hours from Indio, and we have family in both places we can stay with. We can get a good night's sleep, get up at 6am when the sun would be waking us up at camp anyway, and then get there around 9:30am. That would give us 2 or 3 hours to get settled in.

But is that going to be more of a pain than it's worth? How long does it take to get checked in? Is everyone else going to be arriving around then too?

I'm camping to save money and avoid traffic. I'm sure you're all great people, but I won't feel like I'm missing out if I don't get to hang at the Thursday Night drum circle. If you just wanted the easiest experience, would you rather arrive late at night or early Friday morn?

faxman75
02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Just get there when you can, you are fine. You won't miss a thing we are all going to be waiting for you to get there before we have any fun.

smoke
02-01-2008, 12:03 PM
early am

in 06 we arrived to the campsite at about 10pm and the line for check in was huge and slow moving. thanks to some miscommunication about camping passes, we ended up (somehow) finding a hotel room not far from the festival.

plus, i would imagine setting up your tent in the dark would be a pain in the ass.

M Sparks
02-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Just get there when you can, you are fine. You won't miss a thing we are all going to be waiting for you to get there before we have any fun.

Nonono...I WANT you to have all your "fun" before I get there. ;) I just want to sleep at night, and not roast to death in the morning.

Oh, and thanks for the actual input, Smoke. Friday morning is sounding better.

aphrael
02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I've set up my tent in the sorta-dark. It really depends on how complicated your tent is. Mine is fairly simple, so it was no problem; but the guys next to me with this gigantic, complicated tent, took forever to set it up. (It didn't help that they were all falling over drunk :))

M Sparks
02-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Ours isn't too bad, but I just bought an 8'x11' canopy that's really cheap, but comes in about 500 pieces.

paganman7
02-01-2008, 01:34 PM
I would take setting up my tent in 70 degree weather in the dark over 110 degrees and sunny anyday...get there Thursday night.

Besides, there are lights all around the camp grounds.

SFChrissy
02-01-2008, 01:47 PM
every year I do a drive by thursday night and the line getting in the camp ground always looks herendous!!! I can not hang and give props to those who can...I love my motel!!!

aphrael
02-01-2008, 03:27 PM
the line isn't so bad, you bring a few beers and share them with the people in line around you, hanging out, making friends and enjoying the beautiful desert night.

M Sparks
02-03-2008, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. Turns out my wife got Thursday off too and didn't tell me, so I guess we'll come down in the afternoon and it's a non issue.

Oh, and this canopy was WAY easier to put together than it looked. The parts were pre-matched and wired together. Took me like 10 minutes. If anyone's interested, it's an Ozark Trail Dining Canopy, and it was only $30 at Walmart. It's 8' x 11', so it's perfect if you only have 2 people in your group. The cover is pretty chintzy...it's just tarp plastic, but the legs are strong metal. Also, it has rings in the corners for roping it down, but it also makes it easy to hang tarps down the sides.