PDA

View Full Version : Photo Pass

punkgirl
01-31-2008, 12:58 PM
So here is my dilemma. I am writing for a small ezine and GV (or at least their PR team) won't give me the time of day. We don't want access to interview bands or anything like that, we just wanted to be able to take our SLR in to get some solid photos and get review tickets. Anyone have some true, constructive suggestions? (I know I am about to get a bunch of mean posts, but I am really looking for some constructive suggestions . . . )

Courtney
01-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Have you e-mailed press@coachella.com to ask?

psychic friend
01-31-2008, 01:14 PM
email labels of bands you are interested in, try to get them to hook you up with tickets/photo?

hulings
01-31-2008, 03:00 PM
I emailed press@coachella.com w/ the same basic inquiry. They sent me a "canned" email response shortly after emailing them. Here's what it said.

"Thank you very much for your interest in COACHELLA. Unfortunately, we’re unable to accommodate your request for coverage as the promoters have limited press tickets available and these are reserved for writers on assignment with committed coverage already guaranteed in national/international print outlets."

Good luck.

C DUB YA
01-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Hmm wonder why you got that - maybe cuz everyone and their mother is doing the same thing right about now?

They don't give press/photo passes for ezines.

smoke
01-31-2008, 09:03 PM
I am writing for a small ezine

as cdub just pointed out, this is your problem. maybe just getting there early and camping out at your chosen stage is your best bet.

M Sparks
02-01-2008, 10:15 AM
maybe just getting there early and camping out at your chosen stage is your best bet.

How does that help her get her SLR in?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather not have every kid with a blog waving a 3 pound lens around in front of me.

psychic friend
02-01-2008, 10:47 AM
ya the fact of the matter is they get thousands of photo pass requests. There has to be a limit.

boo hoo.

jaysocal
02-01-2008, 11:23 AM
So here is my dilemma. I am writing for a small ezine and GV (or at least their PR team) won't give me the time of day. We don't want access to interview bands or anything like that, we just wanted to be able to take our SLR in to get some solid photos and get review tickets. Anyone have some true, constructive suggestions? (I know I am about to get a bunch of mean posts, but I am really looking for some constructive suggestions . . . )

As a member of the media, I can tell you that this is always a tough thing to do. Keep in mind that GV and MSO doesn't want a bunch of people walking around with DSLRs taking professional pictures that they won't have access to. Remember, this is a private event and they have to keep tabs on where the photographs are going. On top of that, the press pits on each stage is very small. I sympathize with you, but also understand GV's perspective.

I think that PF has a fantastic idea, the PR teams for each of the bands have access to the same type of press access that GV's PR team gives out each year. You should contact some of the bands and tell them that you want to do a special feature on them. Remember, that if you make promises you BETTER deliver! If not, you will never gain access to an event in the future. Next year, if you produce a quality piece, you could use that as part of your argument to the Coachella people to gain more access. These things are step-by-step...don't expect that you will get everything you want in the first year, because you won't!

Good luck!

C DUB YA
02-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'd rather not have every kid with a blog waving a 3 pound lens around in front of me.

Yeah the fact is prolly 95% of Coachella attendees will already be holding up either a shitty camera phone or digital camera at one point that weekend, right in front of you.

It's gettin a little god-damn riduculous, cuz you know those camera phone pics from the back of the main stage aren't worth looking at twice.

F00FIGHTER20
02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
i am under the impression that you can bring in an SLR camera in.......the FAQ/RULES section says that you can't bring in Professional cameras, i think it depends on the quality of the lense you have.

example: went to V fest in Toronto last year, a friend of mine had her SLR, she was stopped at security and someone came over and looked at some number on the lense and told her she could bring in it in.....and at that point she was actually a bit insulted that her camera wasn't good enough to not-be-allowed into the festival....so anyways, that could solve half of your problem....but, I might be wrong.

C DUB YA
02-01-2008, 12:12 PM
You can't bring a SLR into Coachella. Anything with a detachable lens if way off limits.

Coachella isn't V - they will ask you to take it back to your car - you don't want to do that walk - believe me.

MarkO
02-01-2008, 12:14 PM

You can get some great photos without a pit pass or pro camera. Almost every photo I have posted here from shows has gotten compliments and all I have is a S3, a <$300 camera. Pro's get booted from the pit after 3 songs anyway. Just get there early and stake your spot near the barrier.

F00FIGHTER20
02-01-2008, 12:43 PM
well then i guess they should make that a bit clearer then.

MarkO
02-01-2008, 01:36 PM
well then i guess they should make that a bit clearer then.

It's crystal fucking clear as it is.

ayates
02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
You can't bring a SLR into Coachella. Anything with a detachable lens if way off limits.

Coachella isn't V - they will ask you to take it back to your car - you don't want to do that walk - believe me.

You can bring SLRs into Coachella. The security guards never have checked my bag and when they fill something hard in there I simply say it's my camera and off I go.

C DUB YA
02-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Good luck with that misleading advise everyone.

Rules page says you can't so believe who you want

psychic friend
02-01-2008, 07:44 PM
You can bring SLRs into Coachella. The security guards never have checked my bag and when they fill something hard in there I simply say it's my camera and off I go.

Can = might be able to if you get a dumb security guard but dont get mad if they tell you that you cant bring it in because it is not allowed.

thelastgreatman
02-01-2008, 08:05 PM
I thought the rule was removable lenses? What if there's no extra lenses, just a straight SLR?

MarkO
02-01-2008, 08:09 PM
I thought the rule was removable lenses? What if there's no extra lenses, just a straight SLR?

How many SLR's have fixed lenses ? Srsly ?

psychic friend
02-01-2008, 08:14 PM
not everyone who has an 'slr' knows that is what they have.

MarkO
02-01-2008, 08:18 PM
not everyone who has an 'slr' knows that is what they have.

Yeah and I bet they have it in 'auto' all the time too .......

brokendesign
02-02-2008, 06:33 AM
you dont need press passes to do a good job. with the right photographer you could get great pictures without the need for an slr camera.

Lorelei
02-02-2008, 09:22 AM
You can get some great photos without a pit pass or pro camera. Almost every photo I have posted here from shows has gotten compliments and all I have is a S3, a <$300 camera. Pro's get booted from the pit after 3 songs anyway. Just get there early and stake your spot near the barrier.

Indeed and that's what I do most of the time when I don't have a photo pass. P&S pics are enough for a website. But not for a paper magazine where pic definition is minimum 300ppp. I have the same problem with the GV press office who answered that I needed a definite assignment and therefore that they couldn't give me a photo pass.
I answered that I did indeed have a definite assignment for a feature in print and live coverage on the magazine website, and had my chief ed send that person a mail confirming this, but I'm not sure coverage in a French magazine is interesting in any way for GV :/ I didn't have any answer after that first rebuttal. :(

noisemachine
02-02-2008, 09:28 AM
I can only imagine the amount of requests GV gets for press or photo passes. They must get a request from just about every school newspaper, music-related blog, fanzine, etc. So don't feel too bad if you get denied...

MarkO
02-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Indeed and that's what I do most of the time when I don't have a photo pass. P&S pics are enough for a website. But not for a paper magazine where pic definition is minimum 300ppp. I have the same problem with the GV press office who answered that I needed a definite assignment and therefore that they couldn't give me a photo pass.
I answered that I did indeed have a definite assignment for a feature in print and live coverage on the magazine website, and had my chief ed send that person a mail confirming this, but I'm not sure coverage in a French magazine is interesting in any way for GV :/ I didn't have any answer after that first rebuttal. :(

That is unfortunate for you but I'm not sure the op's ezine requires such clarity.

What does 300ppp correlate to in a digital photo ? 6mp ? 8mp ? How do you submit your photos ? .TIFF ?

Lorelei
02-02-2008, 11:03 AM
That is unfortunate for you but I'm not sure the op's ezine requires such clarity.

What does 300ppp correlate to in a digital photo ? 6mp ? 8mp ? How do you submit your photos ? .TIFF ?

I'll see the results of my chief ed's e-mail. Fingers crossed. After all, that wouldn't cost them much as I paid for my ticket and only need a photo pass and access to the press area to send my daily reports on the magazine's website which would be OK with 72 dpi pics. So that's fine for punkgirl's ezine, too.

Trouble is, the other feature will be in print, so I absolutely need 300 dpi too (sorry, I said PPP but that's in French) which can only be done with a DSLR (mine is a 10,1 MP). I submit them either in tiff or jpeg format, but use RAW format when taking pictures.

Lorelei
02-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I can only imagine the amount of requests GV gets for press or photo passes. They must get a request from just about every school newspaper, music-related blog, fanzine, etc. So don't feel too bad if you get denied...
Oh it is a proper, print, sold in shops magazine for me. It's actually called Noise, so i quite like your alias :D I feel bad because I'm basically crossing the ocean to do that report (I have other assignments too, but I organized my trip around Coachella to be able to report it). So yeah, i'd feel slightly frustrated not to be able to do my job properly, really...

mandelbaum
02-02-2008, 11:31 AM

My buddy has gotten his detachable lens in every year with no problem. Sure, they might ask you to take it back to your car, but odds are you will be able to get it in without a problem.

C DUB YA
02-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I'd say the bigger Coachella gets - the less likely this will happen