PDA

View Full Version : too many people!

jlk2490
01-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Is anyone else disappointed by how many people say they are going to coachella this year. I don't mean people that love music and know the bands, I mean people who are just going to go. I feel like a lot of people are just buying tickets because everyone else is, even though they don't know any of the bands. Those people hurt the environment of coachella and the cool music culture it represents. I almost feel like coachella should have some sort of music literacy test...

psychic friend
01-30-2008, 09:01 PM
hopefully they will learn bands to love

if they listened only to what their friends were saying they wouldnt go cuz rage isnt there this year and line up sucks. lol

jlk2490
01-30-2008, 09:14 PM
i guess... I just feel like everyone I know is going when half the people barely listen to music at all.

sonofhal
01-30-2008, 10:26 PM
That's what happend to Glastonbury - people just go for the "vibe" - those who are interested in the artists can't get tickets as they sell out in a matter of minutes.

cooperb1
01-31-2008, 12:32 AM
i,m going for the music i am a huge music person and love introducig pople to new and grate music. this year i get the honer of taking my good frend with me to do just this..

hypervera
01-31-2008, 07:47 AM
Is anyone else disappointed by how many people say they are going to coachella this year. I don't mean people that love music and know the bands, I mean people who are just going to go. I feel like a lot of people are just buying tickets because everyone else is, even though they don't know any of the bands. Those people hurt the environment of coachella and the cool music culture it represents. I almost feel like coachella should have some sort of music literacy test...

youīre fuckin right!!! i hate that people!!! they destroy the balance!!

my logic says well coachella 2008 worst lineup ever and we have a fuckin "sold out"!!!!!!! that shouldnt be!!! not so fast!!!this is their fault
and a normal situation is well the lineup sucks and we dont have a sold out
and goldenvoice would say oooh the people is smart they wont go just for shitty lineups they want big fuckin lineup!

marooko
01-31-2008, 07:55 AM
I don't understand how this is the worst lineup ever. I always thought Coachella was more of an independent music festival. This lineup seems to reflect that.

waxybk
01-31-2008, 07:58 AM
Hasn't the complaining or bitching about the lineup gotten kinda old already?

I mean why can't people open their minds to some new music? So the artists on the lineup are artists that aren't very well known to some people. That means nothing. Open your mind to the entire experience. And if people are just buying tickets because its something everyone else is doing, so be it. I'm sure they will have a fucking killer time and obviously they feel confident that GV will not disappoint.

hypervera
01-31-2008, 07:59 AM
I don't understand how this is the worst lineup ever. I always thought Coachella was more of an independent music festival. This lineup seems to reflect that.

just compare this year with the others. and if coachella wants to be more independent or indie whatever with a lot of unknown bands they should sell cheaper tickets

Todfilm
01-31-2008, 08:52 AM
This brings me back to a couple of years ago while Blur was playing and some teeny bopper girl was talking to her friend on her cellphone in typical valley speak and she says '...oh, some band named Blah or something. I don't know. I never heard of them...' I resisted the urge to smack her and confiscate her tickets.

I have a feeling Friday will be overrun by these types who are just gonna be there to see Jack Johnson. We're gonna hear a lot of "Oh, who are these guys called 'The Breeders'? I've never heard of them."

Daft Fro
01-31-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm all for open minded people.

KROQ & STAR demographic has to elevate themselves at some point, right?

Sexecutioner
01-31-2008, 09:53 AM
yea, i dont mind non-music lovers going as long as they are open minded and want to hear some new stuff, but if they are like that chick you just mentioned talking on her phone about "blah" who are just there to party and be in "the scene" then its kind of lame, and i wish they would just stay home. but what can ya do?

thats why i love the heat...it filters out some of the people who arent that into it. we need more things like that to make it less attractive to douchebags.

mvanwinkle
01-31-2008, 10:21 AM
just compare this year with the others. and if coachella wants to be more independent or indie whatever with a lot of unknown bands they should sell cheaper tickets

This year is better then last year. read past the first line,

roberto73
01-31-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a feeling Friday will be overrun by these types who are just gonna be there to see Jack Johnson. We're gonna hear a lot of "Oh, who are these guys called 'The Breeders'? I've never heard of them."

This is probably true. However, in comparison to the RATM crowd last year, I'll gladly take the Jack Johnson fans.

Musically ignorant > inexplicably angry.

AbundantChoice
01-31-2008, 10:31 AM
I'd say people who aren't music fans in general are actually *less* annoying than the people who go for only 1 or 2 bands. Like the insane Bjork fans who booed everyone on the stage who wasn't Bjork. Or the insane Tool fans, or Rage fans, etc etc etc. Also... the people who fight to the front of a tent 2 or 3 acts before the act they really want to see... then sit down.

Come to think of it, if *any* band is playing in a tent and you're sitting or laying down inside the tent when the crowd for that band goes beyond the tent boundaries, go #@&% yourself. You are scum and deserve to have the people behind you rest their genitals on your head, like a convenient hairy tray.

mandelbaum
01-31-2008, 10:35 AM

A fine elitist post. Blah blah blah...

mandelbaum
01-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Hasn't the complaining or bitching about the lineup gotten kinda old already?

I mean why can't people open their minds to some new music? So the artists on the lineup are artists that aren't very well known to some people. That means nothing. Open your mind to the entire experience. And if people are just buying tickets because its something everyone else is doing, so be it. I'm sure they will have a fucking killer time and obviously they feel confident that GV will not disappoint.

I'm so sick of hearing that people need to open their minds to new music on these boards. Most of the people on these boards know a ton of the bands playing. It isn't a matter of artists not being known. It is the fact that on a relative basis, this lineup does not compare to previous years. Now, I think it's still a decent lineup as I've barely paid attention to the headliner's in the past, but there is a legitimate complaint about the lineup being weak. But that is only the result of Coachella having such strong lineups in the past and expectations are always too high. Quit telling us to open our minds. They are open. We are aware of the bands. They just aren't as good as in years past.

brando4n82
01-31-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm so sick of hearing that people need to open their minds to new music on these boards. Most of the people on these boards know a ton of the bands playing. It isn't a matter of artists not being known. It is the fact that on a relative basis, this lineup does not compare to previous years. Now, I think it's still a decent lineup as I've barely paid attention to the headliner's in the past, but there is a legitimate complaint about the lineup being weak. But that is only the result of Coachella having such strong lineups in the past and expectations are always too high. Quit telling us to open our minds. They are open. We are aware of the bands. They just aren't as good as in years past.

you really think you are accurately speaking for all members and lurkers on this board? i guarentee you quite a few people are putting down this lineup because they are unfamiliar with the bands, which seems to happen every year. i also think yuo do speak accurately for Some of the people on this board, but mos def not all. The line up is great and i cannot wait

disgustipated
01-31-2008, 11:02 AM
j2zQKqgNAeE

waxybk
01-31-2008, 11:41 AM

I will voice my opinion and tell whoever the fuck I want to open their minds. There are people's minds who aren't, it is to them I am referring to. Maybe I hit a sore spot and you feel the need to defend your open mind. More power to you! One day it will all work out for you, I promise.

I responded to something about basically people jumping on the bandwagon and buying a ticket because everyone else was. Its just annoying to have a million posts about someone complaining about shit. Its getting old.

Also, where do you get off saying that the bands aren't as good as in previous years past? What is your basis? Is it because you don't know them? Is it because you don't like them? In my opinion a lot of the bands are better than in previous years, just the headliners happen to not be as strong (in my opinion)....so with that....open your mind and maybe your ass too.

you really think you are accurately speaking for all members and lurkers on this board? i guarentee you quite a few people are putting down this lineup because they are unfamiliar with the bands, which seems to happen every year. i also think yuo do speak accurately for Some of the people on this board, but mos def not all. The line up is great and i cannot wait

I def don't think I am accurately speaking for all members and/or lurkers. Just myself and what I have observed. Basically I speak for myself and no one else. Also in response to the retard who started this thread.

Happy day all.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
j2zQKqgNAeE

EPic...

Sonicifyouwantit
01-31-2008, 11:50 AM

2005 wasnt so hot either line up wise and literally, still went still loved it since 2002

Sonicifyouwantit
01-31-2008, 11:52 AM
I have to say I miss the days of 25,000 and 30,000 people where you could get into any tent and right up to the mainstage during the day but those days are gone, its become nationally and internationally respected and will pretty much continue that way...so long as it doesnt become like SD street Scene

sbessiso
01-31-2008, 11:56 AM
its fine, my only coachella experience is 06, and that one sold out, so i have nothing to compare them to

hypervera
01-31-2008, 12:54 PM
yea, i dont mind non-music lovers going as long as they are open minded and want to hear some new stuff, but if they are like that chick you just mentioned talking on her phone about "blah" who are just there to party and be in "the scene" then its kind of lame, and i wish they would just stay home. but what can ya do?

thats why i love the heat...it filters out some of the people who arent that into it. we need more things like that to make it less attractive to douchebags.

you have a point but sadly much of non-music lovers wont open their minds theyll just go to be cool, its california "cool kids" etc

C DUB YA
01-31-2008, 12:55 PM
I have to say I miss the days of 25,000 and 30,000 people where you could get into any tent and right up to the mainstage during the day but those days are gone, its become nationally and internationally respected and will pretty much continue that way...so long as it doesnt become like SD street Scene

I agree with you - I miss the good ol days of actually being able to "see" acts at Coachella.

The one thing about it that really nerves me, is that Paul T. has always said things about cutting back or capping attendance and making it the most comfortable for the attendees. A lot of board memebres have always said that 60,000 a day is a bit much and even a cut to 50K would be a very awesome thing for Coachella. Again, some of the tents (most of them anyway are just ridculous in terms of crowding). you have to have a MAJOR headliner on (RATM) to draw enough people away to make them enjoyable.

Who cares if the line up is good when you WON'T see half of it because of the crowding issue? I have gone every year, and it just seems to get worse.

But money (and overall ticket sales) talks louder than us fans doesn't it?

hypervera
01-31-2008, 12:55 PM
This brings me back to a couple of years ago while Blur was playing and some teeny bopper girl was talking to her friend on her cellphone in typical valley speak and she says '...oh, some band named Blah or something. I don't know. I never heard of them...' I resisted the urge to smack her and confiscate her tickets.

youīre so fucking right!!!!! that people are just a waste of tickets!!!

C DUB YA
01-31-2008, 01:00 PM
After 2004 - this is a Coachella standard I'm afraid - something you have to deal with more than ever.

hypervera
01-31-2008, 01:09 PM

i dont think so

2007: rage, bjork, rhcp,arcade fire,interpol, arctic monkeys,sonic youth, we had bigger bands

2008:waters, portishead, haha jack johnson, the verve!!!! th breeders and a few more but in conclusion 2007>2008

C DUB YA
01-31-2008, 01:10 PM

Not even close.

bludevil007
01-31-2008, 01:23 PM
ya, it's really not even close. Not worth comparing.

However, I'm still going, and im going to enjoy every minute im sure. The problem is, that nobody wants to go to a concert where they know almost none of the bands. It's nice to have a few bands whose songs you know all the words to. Also, without some good and relevant big bands, it's difficult to attract the people who have open minds but would like the comfort of a few big solid acts that they can hum along to.

I mean, i'll give you the perfect example. Last year i ended up going to coachella just with a friend of mine. While about 10 of my friends expressed interest in going, they all had conflicts or didnt want to pay the money, but they all thought the lineup was sick. After we got back, everyone regretted it and promised to go the next year. I had about 20 friends interested in going before the show. 5 committed 100% before the lineup was announced, bought plane tix, whatever. The other 15 bailed immediately after the lineup was announced, and although all dont have great musical taste, they all have an "open mind" to new music. if radiohead had been one of the headliners, or anyone that's relevant right now, ANYONE, we'd have a crew of ten at least. And theyd all probably fall in love with a few relatively unknown bands in the course of the whole thing.

C DUB YA
01-31-2008, 01:25 PM
I can see that.

ivankay
01-31-2008, 01:27 PM
i've been to all of the past Coachellas and have never really been around a total douchebag. Mostly everyone at the shows are pretty stoked to be there. That was always because of the "wow! you really got to make a commitment to go to this thing" and the line up in the end, always ended up kicking ass (because of the buffet stlye satisfying your own personal Coachella journey). Sure there are stupid people there like everywhere, but the good vibe usually wins them over (except you dicks during Crowded House...you know who you are...i wasn't there, just read about it.)

If someone is outta control in their lack of communal awareness, hopefully you have the room and pleasure to not be around them; and if that's not available, the offender somehow learn "they suck" and get more into the more positive vibe.

This is a lot like 2005 with the talk of being disappointed in the line up leading up to the weekend, That was one of the best. People were bitching about the hardcore NIN/KROQ/Coldplay fans. The fans weren't that bad and the energy was really good. The weather was ridiculously good.

Quit pining for the litmus test and have an excellent time. i doubt you will be witnessing much suckage. You more than likely will be around people who want to be there as much as you, and people who are learing exactly why you want to be there and loving it.

C DUB YA
01-31-2008, 01:31 PM
ivankay speak-eth the truth

marooko
01-31-2008, 02:14 PM

things aren't cheap.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-04-2008, 01:32 PM
you have a point but sadly much of non-music lovers wont open their minds theyll just go to be cool, its california "cool kids" etc

"cool kids" are every where not just california lets drop the passive aggresivness

Sonicifyouwantit
02-04-2008, 01:35 PM
i dont think so

2007: rage, bjork, rhcp,arcade fire,interpol, arctic monkeys,sonic youth, we had bigger bands

2008:waters, portishead, haha jack johnson, the verve!!!! th breeders and a few more but in conclusion 2007>2008

he/she did say read past the first lines, you just mentioned the headliners...

Sonicifyouwantit
02-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Not even close.

I was let down by the headers last year because they were all repeats, and as far the rest of the line up I was happy but still not that excited, I think the undercard acts are good this year though, still not impressed with headliners, but outside of radio 04 and nin 05 I havnt been

Sonicifyouwantit
02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
ya, it's really not even close. Not worth comparing.

However, I'm still going, and im going to enjoy every minute im sure. The problem is, that nobody wants to go to a concert where they know almost none of the bands. It's nice to have a few bands whose songs you know all the words to. Also, without some good and relevant big bands, it's difficult to attract the people who have open minds but would like the comfort of a few big solid acts that they can hum along to.

I mean, i'll give you the perfect example. Last year i ended up going to coachella just with a friend of mine. While about 10 of my friends expressed interest in going, they all had conflicts or didnt want to pay the money, but they all thought the lineup was sick. After we got back, everyone regretted it and promised to go the next year. I had about 20 friends interested in going before the show. 5 committed 100% before the lineup was announced, bought plane tix, whatever. The other 15 bailed immediately after the lineup was announced, and although all dont have great musical taste, they all have an "open mind" to new music. if radiohead had been one of the headliners, or anyone that's relevant right now, ANYONE, we'd have a crew of ten at least. And theyd all probably fall in love with a few relatively unknown bands in the course of the whole thing.

well they'll regret going again this year too. vets go every year!

Sonicifyouwantit
02-04-2008, 01:41 PM
i've been to all of the past Coachellas and have never really been around a total douchebag. Mostly everyone at the shows are pretty stoked to be there. That was always because of the "wow! you really got to make a commitment to go to this thing" and the line up in the end, always ended up kicking ass (because of the buffet stlye satisfying your own personal Coachella journey). Sure there are stupid people there like everywhere, but the good vibe usually wins them over (except you dicks during Crowded House...you know who you are...i wasn't there, just read about it.)

If someone is outta control in their lack of communal awareness, hopefully you have the room and pleasure to not be around them; and if that's not available, the offender somehow learn "they suck" and get more into the more positive vibe.

This is a lot like 2005 with the talk of being disappointed in the line up leading up to the weekend, That was one of the best. People were bitching about the hardcore NIN/KROQ/Coldplay fans. The fans weren't that bad and the energy was really good. The weather was ridiculously good.

Quit pining for the litmus test and have an excellent time. i doubt you will be witnessing much suckage. You more than likely will be around people who want to be there as much as you, and people who are learing exactly why you want to be there and loving it.

im with you on this!

hypervera
02-04-2008, 02:04 PM
he/she did say read past the first lines, you just mentioned the headliners...

i just care about the headliners thats why i like coachella because i save money seeing big bands in the same day and same place! well and maybe 3 or 4 non headliner bands

matsuolost
02-04-2008, 10:52 PM
for me this year will be better

boarderwoozel3
02-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Sorry thread starter, but your argument is weak at best. I'm one of those people who would go every year no matter whoís playing. I know that its going to be an absurdly fun weekend filled with great music. When the lineup is released I usually know about 12 bands well but by the time the end of April comes around I can't wait to see about 3 dozen. Flying solo from Seattle is quite the expenditure to "look cool" for a weekend. This sounds like more "my music is only cool if no one knows about it" bullshit.

Iím not wildly in love with any of the headliners but I dig on quite a bit of the rest of the lineup. No doubt by the end of the weekend Iíll have discovered many more bands that I hadnít known about or didnít give a chance until then.

But if youíre referring to people who could give two shits about the music and are just there to see and be seen then yes, thatís lame.

jlk2490
02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Sorry thread starter, but your argument is weak at best. I'm one of those people who would go every year no matter whoís playing. I know that its going to be an absurdly fun weekend filled with great music. When the lineup is released I usually know about 12 bands well but by the time the end of April comes around I can't wait to see about 3 dozen. Flying solo from Seattle is quite the expenditure to "look cool" for a weekend. This sounds like more "my music is only cool if no one knows about it" bullshit.

Iím not wildly in love with any of the headliners but I dig on quite a bit of the rest of the lineup. No doubt by the end of the weekend Iíll have discovered many more bands that I hadnít known about or didnít give a chance until then.

But if youíre referring to people who could give two shits about the music and are just there to see and be seen then yes, thatís lame.

Yes, I was in fact just referring to people who don't care about music and just come to be cool. I totally agree with you about discovering new music and all that, I'm the same way with the lineup. I barely knew any of the bands when this years lineup was released, but now that I've listened to a lot of them, I'm really excited for this year. I was definitely not talking about those kinds of people because if anything, the people that are researching and learning about the new music are the ones that can really enjoy coachella to the fullest. The people that bug me are the people that don't even come to see the bands at all.

traviscanada
02-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Not even close.

I agree with C Dub Ya, I like this year.... but last year was too unbelievably good.

BillyCrystal
02-10-2008, 04:17 PM
hasn't this been going on since 2004?

alex97
02-11-2008, 01:08 AM

actually, to me it's not so much as weak due to headliners (although: REM>>>>>>>>>>> JJ).. but the rest of the lineup.. it's just.. mm.. kinda vanilla.. (with of course some exceptions) and i do know at least one third of the lineup... it could have been so much better.. the smaller acts, no only the headliners..

"cool kids" are every where not just california lets drop the passive aggresivness

i think what this guy means with cali cool kids it's that they're already there.. so they're like "amm so what are you doing last weekend of april?.. well i'm going to coachella.. it's so cool, it's gonna be like a total trip, you know.. and who's playing? who cares about the music, let's just go, it's cool.. the experience.. :blah "

it's not about being independent or not.. independent doesn't have to be lame nor weak.. and i think it's lacking the powerful variety of past lineups.