PDA

View Full Version : am i the only one that knows that one verve song??

sbessiso
01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
dont get me wrong, i have the fullest intention of researching them, but at the moment i only know the one song, we all know what song it is, and its a hell of a song

im still excited to see them

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-29-2008, 08:42 PM
I know 2. jajaja.

sbessiso
01-29-2008, 08:43 PM
i know i could just research this on my own but im lazy

how many albums do they have out?

NicoDread
01-29-2008, 09:03 PM
I just know that one song too...dunno the name. but it's a pretty good song.

All That I Am
01-29-2008, 09:17 PM
http://z.about.com/d/gonyc/1/7/2/R/snow_monkeys.jpg

psychic friend
01-29-2008, 09:18 PM
i know all their songs but im a verve fan so you probably only want to hear from people that know that one song

Mr.Wyndham
01-29-2008, 09:18 PM
i would have to admit no.

mountmccabe
01-29-2008, 09:22 PM
The Verve have three albums, A Storm In Heaven from 1993, Northern Soul from 1995 and Urban Hymns from 1997.

Their earlier stuff has more shoegaze influence, the latter more standard brit-pop/psychedelica. It's hard to choose a favorite, really; they're all good.

ADGZ662
02-04-2008, 03:58 PM
dont get me wrong, i have the fullest intention of researching them, but at the moment i only know the one song, we all know what song it is, and its a hell of a song

is it that one song in that movie with those brother/sister snobs who arent related by blood so they have this sexual tension between them but then he falls in love with a goody goody girl (who he marry's in real life but recently divorced) & decides he does not want to be an elitist snob anymore & then dies at the end thats a cruel movie but damn that song just a catchy tune.

Sexecutioner
02-04-2008, 05:13 PM
im in the same boat. only know that one song, but plan on researching them...

woogie846
02-04-2008, 05:43 PM
The only album I've familiar with is Urban Hymns.

M Sparks
02-04-2008, 05:53 PM
we all know what song it is

So the answer to your question would be "no".

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2008, 03:46 PM

listen to "the drugs dont work" and "lucky man", the song you know is "bittersweet symphony"

hypervera
02-05-2008, 03:49 PM
listen to "the drugs dont work" and "lucky man", the song you know is "bittersweet symphony"

the rolling people!

OnAJourney
02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
is it that one song in that movie with those brother/sister snobs who arent related by blood so they have this sexual tension between them but then he falls in love with a goody goody girl (who he marry's in real life but recently divorced) & decides he does not want to be an elitist snob anymore & then dies at the end thats a cruel movie but damn that song just a catchy tune.

LOL!
Wow, the movie sounds like it has intentions that might be on the cruel side, how bitter sweet is that end?

JZ117
02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
check out their earlier stuff - a storm in heaven, the all in the mind ep, etc. - lots of really good heavy/hazy/psychedelic stuff (i heard they were going back in this direction, which makes me v. happy) ... don't get me wrong, their later stuff was great too, but a little more straightforward-rockish (yet apparently more appealing to the mainstream palate).

Melanie.Dawn
02-06-2008, 03:24 PM

I heard/read/saw (??) that they didn't get any money for bittersweet symphony because they used someone elses tune without consulting... so they got sued or something and now they don't get money when that song is played... the symphony guy does. My knowledge is vauge but I'm pretty sure something like that went down.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-06-2008, 03:27 PM
LOL!
Wow, the movie sounds like it has intentions that might be on the cruel side, how bitter sweet is that end?

nice!

Sonicifyouwantit
02-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I heard/read/saw (??) that they didn't get any money for bittersweet symphony because they used someone elses tune without consulting... so they got sued or something and now they don't get money when that song is played... the symphony guy does. My knowledge is vauge but I'm pretty sure something like that went down.

they sampled the symphony for the melody

instinct
02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
I only know that one song too.. Same goes with the Breeders and The Racounteers (sp?).. It seems like the Subheadliners are more like One Hit Wonders.. Don't get me wrong.. I'm sure they have a lot of good songs.. but only one popular one.

instinct
02-06-2008, 05:39 PM
LOL!

I was always sad they didn't have sex :(

M Sparks
02-06-2008, 07:23 PM
I heard/read/saw (??) that they didn't get any money for bittersweet symphony because they used someone elses tune without consulting... so they got sued or something and now they don't get money when that song is played... the symphony guy does.

It was a Rolling Stones song, but it was sampled from some "elevator music" version. They licensed the sample, but lost all the rights because they didn't consult with the people who had actually WROTE the song.

The Rolling Stones record label got the copyright, and Mick and Keith got the songwriting credits.

M Sparks
02-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I still don't understand the title of this thread.

paulb
02-07-2008, 03:19 AM
Bittersweet Symphony is one fuck of a song...and the main reason to attend Friday at Coachella...well, that and Fatboy Slim/Battles

sonofhal
02-07-2008, 03:54 AM
I only know that one song too.. Same goes with the Breeders and The Racounteers (sp?).. It seems like the Subheadliners are more like One Hit Wonders.. Don't get me wrong.. I'm sure they have a lot of good songs.. but only one popular one.

Since when was being popular (in the mainstream, i assume) a remit for being asked to play Coachella? Jack Johnson is popular. You want more of the same?

Trailmix
02-07-2008, 09:34 AM

The majority of the acts at Coachella might never have a "hit" but still sell many albums and have fairly large fan bases. l

bludevil007
02-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Aren't Coldplay's Chris Martin and the Verve's Richard Ashcroft friends? Also, didnt Aschroft play with Coldplay at live earth or something?

My point is two things:

1. Maybe the opposite will occur at coachella (martin showing up to play a coldplay song with the verve).

2. The only verve album i have is urban hyms, and bittersweet symphony sounds a lot like coldplay, so anyone who hates coldplay and loves the verve's urban hymns is kind of a hypocrite.

I cant help but wonder what the verve would sound like if they had become more popular.

boarderwoozel3
02-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Bittersweet Symphony is one fuck of a song...and the main reason to attend Friday at Coachella...well, that and Fatboy Slim/Battles

Friday is sick, the whole weekend is sick.

77 days 22 hours & ~58min till show time... shit.

misterpickles
02-07-2008, 11:18 AM
true, most people do know them only for bittersweet symphony (and who could blame them? its an epic song) yet if you do take the time to listen to their other songs you'll realize goldenvoice knows what their doing in putting them as a subheadline

misterpickles
02-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Friday is sick, the whole weekend is sick.

77 days 22 hours & ~58min till show time... shit.

haha i like your attitude man, good to see some people aren't pissing and moaning over jack johnson and enjoying coachella for what it is

instinct
02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Since when was being popular (in the mainstream, i assume) a remit for being asked to play Coachella? Jack Johnson is popular. You want more of the same?

I never said it was. I wasn't talking shit.. LOL I didn't ask for more "popular" acts, or for bands with more hits.. Why are people so defensive on this board?