PDA

View Full Version : The new Panic at the Disco single...is actually pretty good

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Don't crucify me yet, by pretty good I mean it isn't the worst thing ever like every other song the band has put out. Anyone who knows me well knows that I hate this band more than life itself, but I have to admit, the new single is catchy. Not only that, but the awful overwriting from their first album seems to be toned down a little bit. If their whole second album is as decent as the single, I could see myself digging it.

Anyways, what does everyone else think? I never thought I would actually say I liked anything by this band, but an enjoyable song is an enjoyable song.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
your a very very brave person....

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm about to get a lot of fail pictures for this.

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Oh great, I just realized I went old school with a post in a Panic at the Disco thread.

i_like_cake530
01-29-2008, 08:47 PM
that you started no less

suprefan
01-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Don't crucify me yet, by pretty good I mean it isn't the worst thing ever like every other song the band has put out. Anyone who knows me well knows that I hate this band more than life itself, but I have to admit, the new single is catchy. Not only that, but the awful overwriting from their first album seems to be toned down a little bit. If their whole second album is as decent as the single, I could see myself digging it.

Anyways, what does everyone else think? I never thought I would actually say I liked anything by this band, but an enjoyable song is an enjoyable song.

I got my hammer and nails ready.

You DO NOT like a band that covers Radiohead and is called ''Panic at The Disco''

PassiveTheory
01-29-2008, 09:03 PM
They got rid of the ! in their name... Odd.

JzSN6EnaEqI

Make of it what you will.

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-29-2008, 09:06 PM
I got my hammer and nails ready.

You DO NOT like a band that covers Radiohead and is called ''Panic at The Disco''

The Radiohead cover is truly one of the worst covers I have ever heard of anything in my life. Keep in mind that I'm not saying Panic at the Disco is suddenly a good band, just that they made a pretty good single. I'm not going to just close to forget about their execrable first album on the basis of one decent song. If their whole album is good though, well...hmm. That would be weird.

PS: If anyone wants to give it a shot, it's on the myspace, if you don't want to watch a shitty live video.

Memorial_07
01-29-2008, 09:12 PM
I just had a friend who was singing one of there songs today.............

Damn.........why did they become a band?

suprefan
01-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Trust me, I have an idea, but come on. You are giving them free advertising right now. All the emo kids are going to come invade the board due to it.

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Yes, because they have an emo radar. They're going to infest this board like fleas. And I have no problem with giving free advertising to a song I enjoyed.

PassiveTheory
01-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I'd ask if I could lead the emo rebellion, but there's no amount of hair relaxer that can make my hair go from curly to straight.

gmoneyak
01-29-2008, 10:58 PM

Had to do it:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/Gmoneyak2/d0110.jpg

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Well played, sir.

superfiction
01-29-2008, 11:09 PM
http://www.myspace.com/panicatthedisco

for the lazy. i was about to make fun of you. but it is decent. i must admit. they are still fucking horrible. and his voice is irritating btu the song itself is very well written

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I don't really like his voice, and if you listen to the demo that plays after the single, it basically lives up (down?) to all of the horrible things about their music before. But the single is good.

superfiction
01-29-2008, 11:41 PM
the single has "we've only been listening to the beatles since our last reord" written all over it

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah, that was the vibe I initially got from it, especially in terms of the instrumentation. It also reminds me a lot of ELO.

kreutz2112
01-30-2008, 10:22 AM

why do you hate life so much?

betao
01-30-2008, 10:30 AM
note to GV: This thread in no way implies that we want Panic at the Disco to be added to coachella 08.

or 09.

IdiotequeThom
01-30-2008, 05:41 PM
I have to agree with you NMH, the single is catchy. It's a lot better than their other stuff.

psychic friend
01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
note to GV: This thread in no way implies that we want Panic at the Disco to be added to coachella 08.

or 09.

Ok wait so you want panic at the disco?

woogie846
01-30-2008, 05:52 PM

That's what it sounded like to me...

psychic friend
01-30-2008, 05:54 PM
ew...

leo01g
01-30-2008, 06:43 PM
http://www.music-videos.duncans.tv/images/panic-shoosh.jpg

I just heard that new song and i didnt like it. I cant distinguish the voice between them and Fallout Boy, I dislike both those bands.

menikmati
01-30-2008, 06:44 PM
gave it a 30 second listen. No thanks.

thinnerair
01-30-2008, 07:02 PM
considering that song was written by kids, i think its really good work.
that singer was born in 1987!

betao
01-30-2008, 09:01 PM

no, i wouldnt want someone to go too far in reading this thread, and assume "oh, PATD is starting to get some positive reviews from board members, and i'm sure they'd love to play, and we still need a replacement for Madness on Friday, so who better to do it than PATD?"

I do NOT want this band near me.

breakjaw
01-31-2008, 01:33 AM
How come they're called that when the line is "Panic on the streets of London,Panic on the streets of Birmingham"
and then later "Burn Down The Disco".
It's misleading.
They imply that there was Panic at the Disco,which was not the the case,they just hanged the blessed DJ,but it wasn't cause of a panic.The panic was on the streets.
Also somebody at some point should have played them some Lou Reed or dB's or something,they might've stolen better ideas for a band name.

PassiveTheory
01-31-2008, 01:36 AM
I think they took the name from an Electric Six song. Not "Panic" by the Smiths.

Although, in all honesty, that's about as bad as claiming that the Smiths were just Patti Smith rip-off fans.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2008, 06:27 AM

Yeah, they did themselves a HUGE disservice doing that....

M Sparks
01-31-2008, 09:17 AM

I haven't heard it, but I never understood all the hatred for them. I think it helped that I heard them first and saw them later. They are annoying live, their fanbase sucks, their videos are pretentious, and their song titles are stupid. But musically, that first album is pretty interesting. I got tired of it quick, but I really loved it the first 5 or 10 times I heard it.

So what I'm trying to say is, I've always kind of figured their second album could go either way. They could grow up a little and put their talent to better use, or they could just cater to their fanbase and turn into total shit.

PassiveTheory
01-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Let's hope it's the latter... I'm praying for it, at least.

Cdubby
01-31-2008, 10:08 PM
i dont enjoy the new single, i did enjoy the "close the god damn door song" whenever it came on the radio though, haha sue me.

Sushov23
04-04-2008, 01:44 AM
I listened to the CD, thinking to myself I would fucking hate it with a passion like I did the first CD. HOWEVER I found myself enjoying the album, reminded me of Classic Beatles, Byrds, and Beach Boys pop.

PassiveTheory
04-04-2008, 02:19 AM
My friend told me it was jazzy... Anyone want to back up that claim?

GnarVee
04-04-2008, 08:29 AM
patd can burn in hell. w/ fall out boy and soulja boy

reverb
04-04-2008, 09:17 AM
god, i can't believe i'm actually going to chime in on a thread about panic at the disco.

so my daughter is 14 and is ALL OVER this band. it's all i've been hearing about for weeks and weeks. she screamed when the snl commercial came out. she's also into spoon and brmc so i'm not at all too concerned.

anyway, i truly hated the last record. but i have to admit that everything i've heard SOUNDS really good. it's a well produced record. i kind of had that same feeling when i heard american idiot or black parade. there was some attention to detail and a love for the craft that comes as very refreshing to these recording geek ears of mine.

and for the record, i do miss the "!" in their name.

tessalasset
04-04-2008, 11:24 AM
my friend's husband directed their video. and she did the costume designing. :)

yCto3PCn8wo

whynotsmile99
04-04-2008, 11:40 AM
my friend's husband directed their video. and she did the costume designing. :)

yCto3PCn8wo

very cool. I"m trying to get into music video production myself. Really well done music video. You're friend does great with costumes!

tessalasset
04-04-2008, 11:51 AM
yeah it was kind of overwhelming for her. when the videos get that big, it becomes crazy stressful with people expecting so much of you. it's hard.

whynotsmile99
04-04-2008, 12:06 PM
yeah it was kind of overwhelming for her. when the videos get that big, it becomes crazy stressful with people expecting so much of you. it's hard.

yea, I hear that. We'll if your friends need any production assistant help I'd love to send over my resume! Gotta make connections anyway you can, right :)

daven
04-14-2008, 07:54 AM
they have the best album of the year so far. the new song is awwwsooommee! at least someother people around here know good music and arent afraid to admit it!

TomAz
04-14-2008, 08:26 AM
I had the great pleasure of seeing PATD last night. I took my 12 year old and her friend.

This seems as good a place for a review as any.

First up was something called Phantom Planet. they are trying very hard to get to that Fallout Boy/PATD/whatever thing. Good looking young guys singing crap. Grade: F

Next: The Hush Sound. these guys are a little different to this genre, they have a female singer who sits down at keyboards, and their music seems to come from more of a Crowded House/late Squeeze angle, maybe with a little Regina Spektor thrown in (well, those were my points of reference, at least, who knows if the band has even heard of them). Not as bad as it could have been. Grade: C-.

Next: Motion City Soundtrack. I've actually heard of these guys before, so they must be big. They sound exactly like the FOB ilk. Dreadful. Grade: F

Finally, Panic at the Disco. I'll admit, their sound seems to have matured a bit; they're not stuck on guitar driven songs about white suburban Disney-channelesque teenage angst and love. They still suck, but as I mentioned to someone else on here, they're only marginally worse than some of the duller Coachella bands I've heard. Grade: D.

The best part of the show was it was outside on a nice night, not too crowded, I was clearly not the only parent pulling duty, and it was over by 9:15.

betao
04-14-2008, 08:48 AM
The best part of the show was it was outside on a nice night, not too crowded, I was clearly not the only parent pulling duty, and it was over by 9:15.

Best sentence of the review. I had a good laugh at this.

Even PATD has a bedtime.

BlackSwan
04-14-2008, 08:52 AM
boo for this thread