PDA

View Full Version : What happened to good old rock music?

kf2rock
01-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Line up pretty much sucks this year.....Roger Waters is getting the big headliner for the last night.... now if David Gilmore was also there it would be worth it....trying to pass off partial pink floyd but the last night headliner - how can that even slightly compare with past shows...especially have RAGE last year. What the hell is all of this electronic techo crap? It's everywhere.....Portishead and Kraftwerk as headliners???? What is there to see in these types of performances...who rocks to this? The first night is the best at least we have real music! Not just a bunch of machines people operate to make really cool noises. Is that music? Well, I guess we all have different opinions and I am getting old. At least Flogging Molly - Gogol Bordello - The Raconteurs the Breeders and Love and ROckets....they are my saving grace for this year even going. Hopefully I may get to hear some new bands that aren't so techo.
Hey Brett Dennen....cool - he's on the bottom........I hear National may rock? Will hope to check them out. If any of you know of some decent music other than techno/synthesizer stuff - give me a heads up on who to check out. THANKS!

smoke
01-29-2008, 01:32 PM
there is exactly one (1) tent that has electronic music. it is located at the far end of the festival. fairly easy to avoid.

nationocean
01-29-2008, 01:33 PM
it died with your grandparents. now stfu and gbtw!

F00FIGHTER20
01-29-2008, 01:39 PM
i have to agree... seems like 3/5 of the line up are button pushers/knob turners......
fyi....The Raconteurs do use a synth to go along with their real instruments.....

as long as there are some crazy visuals and easy to find generous potheads, i won't mind checking out the electronic stuff...

Jonny
01-29-2008, 01:45 PM
See: My Morning Jacket

Trick Loves The Kids
01-29-2008, 02:03 PM
take this rockist bullshit elsewhere

Gyrus
01-29-2008, 02:13 PM
take this rockist bullshit elsewhere

Exactly.

Open up your ears to different music types you IGNORANT fool.

mandelbaum
01-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Exactly.

Open up your ears to different music types you IGNORANT fool.

I'm not sure why the guy is ignorant because he doesn't like electronic music. But whatever.

Lt. Dangel
01-29-2008, 02:22 PM
The first night is the best at least we have real music! Not just a bunch of machines people operate to make really cool noises. Is that music?

Is a guitar not a machine for making noise? How about and amplifier? is an amplifier not a machine for making noise. Where do you draw the line?

Obviously I know what you are trying to say, but really man, if it sounds good and evokes some sort of emotional/physical stimulation, what's the difference?

psychic friend
01-29-2008, 02:25 PM
wait wait.

r u like saying people have different tastes and some years you likes better than others? omgz. me too.

JebusLives
01-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Coachella is my favorite festival because of the genre bending. I'm probably a 70/30 on the rock/electronic continuum.

The rock side does seem to be lacking this year. Last year was freaking epic though - Sonic Youth, Jesus and Mary Chain, Blonde Redhead, Arctic Monkeys, etc. It was definitely a more rockin' year; even the biggest tent acts were rockin' (eg. LCD, Rapture, Happy Mondays).

This year is more low-key in general, but I've noticed that the "rock" acts are more specifically kinda soft-rock (Jack Johnson, Death Cab, Verve, Waters). This is all fine and good in measured doses, but I'd love for one or two balls-to-the-wall RAWK bands to be added.

Sometimes a boy just needs to rage, ya know?

Todfilm
01-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Face it, Rage won't be there this year. And there won't be anything huge like that this year. That being said, maybe you should try listening to the different bands and see what you like. There's always been a ton of different kinds of bands at Coachella. And if you don't like what you hear, why don't you just go to the Warped Tour instead?

Sonicifyouwantit
01-29-2008, 03:24 PM
just sounds like you need to do some research thats all. coachella used to be mostly electronica look at 1999. I love it and I love great rock too

nationocean
01-29-2008, 03:32 PM
wait wait.

r u like saying people have different tastes and some years you likes better than others? omgz. me too.

lol. i heart this comment.

instinct
01-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Is a guitar not a machine for making noise? How about and amplifier? is an amplifier not a machine for making noise. Where do you draw the line?

Obviously I know what you are trying to say, but really man, if it sounds good and evokes some sort of emotional/physical stimulation, what's the difference?

ugh, i always thought the same thing about electric guitars.... It's distorted..

NeverMyopic
01-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Coachella is my favorite festival because of the genre bending. I'm probably a 70/30 on the rock/electronic continuum.

The rock side does seem to be lacking this year. Last year was freaking epic though - Sonic Youth, Jesus and Mary Chain, Blonde Redhead, Arctic Monkeys, etc. It was definitely a more rockin' year; even the biggest tent acts were rockin' (eg. LCD, Rapture, Happy Mondays).

This year is more low-key in general, but I've noticed that the "rock" acts are more specifically kinda soft-rock (Jack Johnson, Death Cab, Verve, Waters). This is all fine and good in measured doses, but I'd love for one or two balls-to-the-wall RAWK bands to be added.

Turbonegro, The Horrors, Flogging Molly (Plus A few More) - see them to rage!

Mr.Wyndham
01-29-2008, 07:04 PM
no comment.

MonsoonSeason
01-29-2008, 07:13 PM
At least Flogging Molly - Gogol Bordello - The Raconteurs the Breeders and Love and ROckets

lol wut

Gyrus
01-29-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure why the guy is ignorant because he doesn't like electronic music. But whatever.

I didn't say he was ignorant just for not liking electronic music.
Each to their own as long as it is a knowlegable decision.

I highly doubt he's ever even had a listen to the varying spectrums of electronic music out there - house, breaks, drum n bass, trance, electro, techno (PROPER techno), minimal, 2 step, garage & hardcore to name a few (and I haven't even listed crossover or sub genres).

I was saying he was ignorant for passing off an entire genre of music, questioning it's existance as even BEING music. THAT is being ignorant.

What the hell is all of this electronic techo crap? It's everywhere.....Portishead and Kraftwerk as headliners???? What is there to see in these types of performances...// //...Is that music?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/music

mu·sic –noun
1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

And just in case you need a refresher on what the term ignorant means:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignorant

ig·no·rant –adjective
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.

kthxbi

MonsoonSeason
01-29-2008, 11:49 PM
blah post - noun
1. that

Gyrus
01-30-2008, 01:27 AM
blah post - noun
1. that

well technically blah would be an adjective modifying the noun, blah post would be a phrase wouldnt it?

betao
01-30-2008, 08:48 AM
If you do not know who Kraftwerk is, then you have yet to be properly schooled in the history of music in general.

please note, i said if you DONT KNOW WHO, not IF YOU DONT LIKE.

Cancersticks1
01-30-2008, 09:48 AM

Is that to say Arctic Monkeys are "Balls-to-the-wall RAWK?"

JebusLives
01-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Is that to say Arctic Monkeys are "Balls-to-the-wall RAWK?"

They aren't Ministry, but I think they qualify; yes.

M Sparks
01-30-2008, 12:12 PM
This guy killed it.
http://anandamide.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/lee_roth_narrowweb__300x4880.jpg

BillyCrystal
01-30-2008, 05:13 PM
i dont know why everybody is hating on this dude's thread. i mean, synth/electo/dance stuff is great, but this lineup is lacking on the good old fashion rock element.

instinct
01-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Dude, IS THAT THE REAL BILLY CRYSTAL!!?!?!

alex97
01-30-2008, 11:45 PM

i love rock! but i also like a wide variety of music.. it's always good to expand your horizons and to love a little musical fussion...

btw, i love that they've booked jamie cullum in the past.. THAT is musical diversity :thu

BROKENDOLL
01-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Maybe you have Coachella confused with The Family Values Tour, or perhaps Ozzfest if that's the only music you're into. Hey, I pretty much only listened to Rock, Classic Rock, and Metal for the most part before going to Coach, but I opened my mind and discovered that electric/techno stuff hit a different nerve. Now I can enjoy both...and then some.

gaypalmsprings
01-31-2008, 05:05 AM
Jethro Tull is playing in Indio August 16, 2008. I saw them back in the 70s.

M Sparks
01-31-2008, 05:54 AM
There was a thread somewhere the other day that showed the 2001 schedule. ALL the tents were electronic. They had The Orb vs Chemical Brothers vs K&D!

I don't really want an "old fashioned rock element." So see the VH tour for that crap. That said, this lineup could use a few more "modern rock elements".

Also, I get bugged that Coachella is so electronic heavy while ignoring certain electronic genres that aren't "cool enough". "Industrial" doesn't mean much anymore since there's so many subgenres, but would it be SO bad to book a few artists that fit into that general area? In the past there's been VNV Nation and...er...I guess that's it.

Cancersticks1
01-31-2008, 07:15 AM
There was a thread somewhere the other day that showed the 2001 schedule. ALL the tents were electronic. They had The Orb vs Chemical Brothers vs K&D!

I don't really want an "old fashioned rock element." So see the VH tour for that crap. That said, this lineup could use a few more "modern rock elements".

Also, I get bugged that Coachella is so electronic heavy while ignoring certain electronic genres that aren't "cool enough". "Industrial" doesn't mean much anymore since there's so many subgenres, but would it be SO bad to book a few artists that fit into that general area? In the past there's been VNV Nation and...er...I guess that's it.

Agreed, I would be very happy with Einsturzende Neubauten dropping steel beams from the rafters on the main stage.

M Sparks
01-31-2008, 08:05 AM
Agreed, I would be very happy with Einsturzende Neubauten dropping steel beams from the rafters on the main stage.

EN would be epic. But we can't even get a second rate Futurepop act. (Except - cough- VNV Nation).

Sexecutioner
01-31-2008, 08:42 AM
i kind of agree with the original poster. while I love electronic music, and will probably spend my fair share of time in the sahara tent this year, i'm a rocker at heart, and wish there were a few more rockers higher up on the bill this year, something similar to arctic monkeys, wolfmother, muse, modest mouse, etc. i know raconteurs and mmj fit that bill, and i am looking forward to them, just wish there were a few more. that being said, im sure after some more research i'll find some smaller bands i had never heard of before that will rock.

bludevil007
01-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Who hates Roskilde right about now. It's turning into exactly what coachella should have been this year:

Radiohead, MBV, Chemical Bros. and Yeasayer. I hate Denmark.

Sonicifyouwantit
01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
i kind of agree with the original poster. while I love electronic music, and will probably spend my fair share of time in the sahara tent this year, i'm a rocker at heart, and wish there were a few more rockers higher up on the bill this year, something similar to arctic monkeys, wolfmother, muse, modest mouse, etc. i know raconteurs and mmj fit that bill, and i am looking forward to them, just wish there were a few more. that being said, im sure after some more research i'll find some smaller bands i had never heard of before that will rock.

not higher up on bill but you may want to check out american bang, sounds like kings of leon/jet

MonsoonSeason
01-31-2008, 11:48 AM
well technically blah would be an adjective modifying the noun, blah post would be a phrase wouldnt it?

phrases aren't in dictionaries

back-up:

overnight telegram
–noun
1. a type of domestic telegram sent at a reduced rate with a minimum charge for 10 words or less and accepted until midnight for delivery the following day.
2. the service offering such a telegram. Abbreviation: OT Compare fast telegram, personal-opinion telegram.

KookyFor1973
02-01-2008, 06:50 PM
SEE: Black Mountain, American Bang

rage patton
02-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Black Mountain fucking rock. I cannot wait to see them on Sunday.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-02-2008, 12:58 PM
I love it when people complain about a new form of music and say its just noise...they dont realize they sound just like the older generation of the 50s and 60s who said rock was just a fad and was nothing but noise...funny how history repeats itself.

furthermore they wouldnt have the talent it takes to keep a party going like these accomplished dj/producers and definitely wouldnt have the creative force for producing it.