PDA

View Full Version : "I think it was the second-fastest selling Coachella," Tollett said.

Jakewc151
01-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Single-day Coachella fest tickets sold out

Single-day tickets for the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival are no longer on sale - at least for now.
Advertisement

Paul Tollett, president of Los Angeles-based Goldenvoice, said individual tickets for the three-day event - slated for April 25-27 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio - were cut off at 6 p.m. Saturday.

"I think it was the second-fastest selling Coachella," Tollett said.

He added, however, that "last year was kind of crazy" with headliners like Rage Against the Machine and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. This year's headliners include Jack Johnson, Portishead and Roger Waters.

Tollett, who pioneered regional music festivals with the first Coachella in 1999, said they cut off the tickets to try to keep the crowd around the same size as last year, which was about 60,000 people per a day.

"We gave people a whole day to get single day tickets Friday and a half-day Saturday," Tollett said. "Now the three-day passes are available. They didn't (sell out) all at the same time. One sold out, then the other and then the third. Now all three are sold out."

However, Tollett said anything could happen between now and the festival's kick-off.

"I want people to have a good time," Tollett said. We have 90 days still to ensure that it's super memorable.

http://www.mydesert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080128/EVENTS17/801280315/-1/newsfront

anti-square
01-28-2008, 04:18 PM
hmmm, interesting.

Courtney
01-28-2008, 04:18 PM
It seems really unbelievable to me that this year's tickets sold more quickly than 2004 or 2005.

Courtney
01-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Paul Tollett, president of Los Angeles-based Goldenvoice, said individual tickets for the three-day event - slated for April 25-27 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio - were cut off at 6 p.m. Saturday.

"They didn't (sell out) all at the same time. One sold out, then the other and then the third. Now all three are sold out."

I also don't understand how these two statements can both be true.

MonsoonSeason
01-28-2008, 04:31 PM
saturday
sunday
friday

IN THAT ORDER

gaypalmsprings
01-28-2008, 04:38 PM
This is a duplicate thread. Try the search button.

http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15284&highlight=desert+sun

boarderwoozel3
01-28-2008, 04:39 PM
I also don't understand how these two statements can both be true.

They can't.

As a journalism student I think these are weak quotes. He uses the qualifier "think". That covers his ass in the event that hes BSing us and someone finds the actual numbers indicate this year was the second slowest selling year ever. Courtney also pointed out that his statements don't totally match up. How can you cut off single day ticket sales if they were already sold out earlier in the day?

Maybe I'm just too cynical but I have a hard time believing this. His job is to create a buzz and promote the concert. Nothing gets more attention than a crowd which is this case is announcing how quickly your tickets are selling.

MonsoonSeason
01-28-2008, 04:46 PM
well maybe they cut out the first wave of single day tickets? which doesn't make any sense..

I'm with you on this man

psychic friend
01-28-2008, 06:41 PM
It seems really unbelievable to me that this year's tickets sold more quickly than 2004 or 2005.

If you remember correctly, tickets for both those years didnt sell out until much closer to the date of the event. Yes even the mighty Radiohead year took a while to sell out. It just seems crazy because it was the first to do so in advance.

jonnypark
01-28-2008, 06:59 PM
"I want people to have a good time," Tollett said. We have 90 days still to ensure that it's super memorable.

http://www.mydesert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080128/EVENTS17/801280315/-1/newsfront

I hear Radiohead has super memerable concerts. Just sayin.

microlovebeat
01-28-2008, 07:11 PM
idrive1life already quoted this in another thread. i still say it's complete bullshit, and tollett is really playing people for idiots saying something like that.

i'm not exactly sure what you're saying psychic friend.....are you SUPPORTING tollett's statement, backing it up? or what?

there's no way in hell the single day tickets sold out that fast unless they were EXTREMELY limited this year....in which case they should have just sold 3 day passes instead. why sell a tiny amount of single day passes, switch the acts on the fucking lineup around, and then come out and say it was the second fastest selling coachella???? that's so stupid.

psychic friend
01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
i was just pointing out some info.

microlovebeat
01-28-2008, 07:14 PM
your neutrality is killing me

psychic friend
01-28-2008, 07:17 PM
:sorry

thelastgreatman
01-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Perhaps you should just stop caring so much and accept that the tickets are selling really well.

Tijuana
01-28-2008, 07:19 PM
It's pretty simple guys. Either believe GV's BS and buy the 3 day pass. Or do like myself and tell GV to go fuck themselves by not going to Coachella. Or if you decide you want to go last minute, then just go... you will find plenty of tickets outside of the festival for a good price. They also always have tickets at the gate without the ticketmaster fees. They even had tickets at the gate for Radiohead.

microlovebeat
01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Perhaps you should just stop caring so much and accept that the tickets are selling really well.

yeah, what with scalpers like you i'm sure they're flying off the shelves like hotcakes.

summerkid
01-28-2008, 07:21 PM

right, just go into the thread where people were keeping track of the GA numbers on the tickets. It clearly shows that the tickets were selling well.

Encaitare
01-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Single-day Coachella fest tickets sold out

Tollett, who pioneered regional music festivals with the first Coachella in 1999, said they cut off the tickets to try to keep the crowd around the same size as last year, which was about 60,000 people per a day.

per a day? That just makes my brain hurt. Why can't it be PER DAY or A DAY?

...and if anyone is counting, (which I'm sure someone is) I just bought our camping tix and they were GA67 and GA68.

JustSteve
01-28-2008, 07:47 PM
It's pretty simple guys. Either believe GV's BS and buy the 3 day pass. Or do like myself and tell GV to go fuck themselves by not going to Coachella.

there really is only one loser in that equation. hi, loser!

if it sells out then you need to take a good long look in the mirror and repeat that "fuck you" with gusto.

breakjaw
01-28-2008, 08:24 PM
...and if anyone is counting, (which I'm sure someone is) I just bought our camping tix and they were GA67 and GA68.
Last year camping tix sold out at GA30 on Feb 13th.
Which leads me to the inevitable conclusion that GV has installed multi-level,"tenement" style camping this year to sell double or triple the tickets.I hope you don't have noisy upstairs neighbors!

summerkid
01-28-2008, 08:46 PM
hmm interesting breakjaw. I wonder if there will be more than one campsite like at stagecoach this year.

http://stagecoachfestival.com/visitors/onsite-camping

ThomThom
01-28-2008, 09:00 PM

Oh dear God Randy, please don't tell me that's who I think it is in your fucking avatar...

PassiveTheory
01-28-2008, 09:02 PM
It is.

orangeyellowzen
01-28-2008, 09:05 PM
SO.... dose Goldenvocie think that we are all made of money and have all the time in the world that they could not wait at least 2 - 3 whole days befor they stopped selling single day tix?

coldstart
01-28-2008, 09:07 PM
hmm interesting breakjaw. I wonder if there will be more than one campsite like at stagecoach this year.

I saved this when the "onsite-lodging" section was accidentally posted with wrong info which is why its not up now and would be silly to post now so i wont.

http://disconformity.net/~joe/pics/08map.jpg

PassiveTheory
01-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I think that they actually DID sell those tickets quickly...

Either way, I'm going to wager that some of the single day tickets will be held down till a bit closer to the festival. Have a little hope, in that respect.

fasttrack
01-28-2008, 09:08 PM

"The entire Coachella 2008 onsite camping area is on one BEAUTIFUL LUSH GRASS field ADJACENT to the main entrance of the festival grounds"

one

coldstart
01-28-2008, 09:12 PM
"The entire Coachella 2008 onsite camping area is on one BEAUTIFUL LUSH GRASS field ADJACENT to the main entrance of the festival grounds"

one

Two actually. See the map above.

Leckie
01-28-2008, 09:31 PM
the faster the tickets sell out the better, if you want to go, buy some tickets before the unholy scalpers do

coldstart
01-28-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't know what just happened oh wait yes i do, its not ready yet, if it was it would be public. i will stop posting false info now. sorry.

psychic friend
01-28-2008, 09:51 PM
thanks, it would suck to post false info and get people worked up.

BROKENDOLL
01-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Ya think?

worldwide2020
01-28-2008, 10:02 PM

Is that last part even a quote?

coldstart
01-28-2008, 10:22 PM

Ah, I understand now. Thanks for putting the words in my mouth Dani. :P

digitalface
01-28-2008, 10:34 PM

one

HAHAHAHA!! "BEAUTIFUL LUSH GRASS" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I guess it used to be.

summerkid
01-28-2008, 10:38 PM
on day one it is...by sunday it isnt...

Harrisment
01-29-2008, 06:14 AM
Is that last part even a quote?

Yeah, I noticed that too. Sounds like the author is trying to give us hope but Tollett really isn't.

gaypalmsprings
01-29-2008, 06:16 AM
HAHAHAHA!! "BEAUTIFUL LUSH GRASS" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I guess it used to be.

It's a polo field. Gets lots of horse fertilizer.

nationocean
01-29-2008, 10:47 AM
so by paul toliets business model. yes i said toliet. you'll get over it.

1. pick third rate shitty bands to be filler for coachella
2. insult our intelligence and lie to us repeatedly
3. PROFIT??

he's the Ron L. Hubbard of Festivals.

psychic friend
01-29-2008, 10:53 AM
hhahahhahaha :lool

nationocean
01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
hhahahhahaha :lool

thank you for laughing at that. even if it was a good laugh or an evil laugh. i still appreciate it ;)

thelastgreatman
01-29-2008, 10:56 AM
What are the lies you're referring to exactly?

nationocean
01-29-2008, 11:04 AM
i was mostly being facetious. but one bold face lie i can think of was at the press conference.. 'this year is going to be really great' - or something to that effect. sounds like a lie to me ;) lol

thelastgreatman
01-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Ahh, right. Well, you're silly.

Courtney
01-29-2008, 11:10 AM
If you remember correctly, tickets for both those years didnt sell out until much closer to the date of the event. Yes even the mighty Radiohead year took a while to sell out. It just seems crazy because it was the first to do so in advance.

That's right. I had forgotten that.

I guess as Coachella grows in notoriety, there will be more people willing to buy tickets as soon as they go on sale, regardless of lineup.

Although I'm still very confused about whether single day ticket sales were cut off at a certain time by executive order, or whether the single day ticket allocation was so small that they just all sold out due to demand within a few hours of each other. It doesn't even really matter very much, except for the fact that the news media seems to be publishing contradictory information which bugs me.

nationocean
01-29-2008, 11:23 AM
That's right. I had forgotten that.

I guess as Coachella grows in notoriety, there will be more people willing to buy tickets as soon as they go on sale, regardless of lineup.

Although I'm still very confused about whether single day ticket sales were cut off at a certain time by executive order, or whether the single day ticket allocation was so small that they just all sold out due to demand within a few hours of each other. It doesn't even really matter very much, except for the fact that the news media seems to be publishing contradictory information which bugs me.

and the overall fact that no one can get a direct response from coachella since they announced the line up. i know they are busy and stuff, i just don't remember it being this confusing the last few times.

Bud Luster
01-29-2008, 11:23 AM
jesus I want to slap Randy's avatar...

digitalface
01-29-2008, 02:41 PM
on day one it is...by sunday it isnt...

Were you in the same tent city I was last year? It was more like flattened brown strawy stuff that hadn't been watered since 2005 when it was actually green. Last year you had to go to the clubhouse area to find anything resembling "lush," even on Thursday night.

digitalface
01-29-2008, 02:42 PM
It's a polo field. Gets lots of horse fertilizer.

Yeah, the festival grounds were largely green, but even inside the gates the grass has been getting worse over the years. :-[

Memorial_07
01-29-2008, 05:55 PM

I agree.
Especially 2005 because of the Cocteau Twins.
Only to bail the month before.
Sorry for you all who bought tickets and didn't get to see them.

psychic friend
01-29-2008, 06:37 PM

Jakewc151
01-31-2008, 12:53 AM
So after much waiting I have been able to sell my most loved turntables on ebay in order to buy a three day pass. Why am I doing this?? because coachella fuckin rocks regardless of the lineup... Have my house to stay at lined up and everything.. anyways, I just hope the paypal transfer will make it to my bank account before these tickets sell out!! 3-4 days i cant wait :/ Hopefully, three day passes will be available next week.. i think tollett is just freakin us out, but who knows

shakermaker113
01-31-2008, 08:09 AM
I wonder if it's feasible now to buy a three day pass and sell the tickets for the days you don't want to go... if all single day tickets are sold out, there's sure to be a demand. last year that wasn't feasible because there wasn't much of a market for single day friday tickets, and that day never sold out. perhaps I am mistaken.

luckyface
01-31-2008, 08:11 AM
I wonder if it's feasible now to buy a three day pass and sell the tickets for the days you don't want to go... if all single day tickets are sold out, there's sure to be a demand. last year that wasn't feasible because there wasn't much of a market for single day friday tickets, and that day never sold out. perhaps I am mistaken.

You are definitely correct, although people were buying 3-days just to see Rage. Less single day tickets being sold = greater demand for single day tickets. I bet the fact that Friday didn't sell out last year has played a part in how they are handling selling single tickets this year.

zikade
01-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah, no, I don't believe they "sold out." This lineup would not sell out this fast (TWO DAYS... gimme a break) unless they SEVERELY limited tickets sold. The lineup's not as horrendous as people are saying, but it's definitely not good enough to make people go crazy like last year.

Somewhat Damaged
01-31-2008, 05:13 PM
so by paul toliets business model. yes i said toliet. you'll get over it.

1. pick third rate shitty bands to be filler for coachella
2. insult our intelligence and lie to us repeatedly
3. PROFIT??

he's the Ron L. Hubbard of Festivals.

Ooh, you called him toliet! What a sick, sick fucking burn! Damn, I don't think he'll ever live that down! The only way it could've been worse is if you weren't a dyslexic moron who couldn't spell "toilet" correctly!

psychic friend
02-01-2008, 06:47 PM
no links to places that scalp tickets.

thelastgreatman
02-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Ready for the ban?

Ardentbiscuit
02-05-2008, 08:36 AM
So 80 days until the festival and not sold out. I can't find the thread, how many days until Coachella did it sell out last year?

I was thinking, maybe the initial surge of ticket sales was the second fastest but probably by now it has calmed down.

flicchic8100
02-15-2008, 10:07 PM
wtf? sold out!!! for jack ???? and ????waters who cares about these people there is no way they sold out that quick.......they cut it off for now.....this years line up is blah....sat is worth it.....looking forward to 2009... >:/

rage patton
02-16-2008, 11:21 AM

Indeed. Indeed it would.

*cough*madness*cough*