PDA

View Full Version : "The Desert Sun" ticket update

gaypalmsprings
01-27-2008, 09:05 PM
3-day Coachella tickets still available, individual passes no longer on sale

Bruce Fessier and Mariecar Mendoza • The Desert Sun • January 27, 2008

Single-day tickets for the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival are no longer on sale -- at least for now.

Paul Tollett, president of Los Angeles-based Goldenvoice, told The Desert Sun on Sunday individual tickets for the three-day event -- slated for April 25-27 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio -- sales for one-day passes were cut off at 6 p.m. Saturday.

"I think it was the second-fastest selling Coachella," Tollett said.

Tollett, who founded the first Coachella in 1999, said they cut off the tickets to try to keep the crowd around the same size as last year, which was about a showing of 60,000 people a day.

sbessiso
01-27-2008, 09:07 PM
damn! i need to get my tickets FAST

psychic friend
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
da da da . . .

cansei de ser sexme
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
damn i thought it was going to be less crowded this year :(

Sexecutioner
01-27-2008, 09:20 PM
spin city?

JustSteve
01-27-2008, 09:30 PM
hahaha, nice...good to see most of the idiots hung out here while the real world is actually excited for the event.

orbit
01-27-2008, 09:33 PM
How do you know the real world is excited? Did Goldenvoice or ticketmaster release info about how many tickets supposedly were already sold?

rage patton
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
So unless informed otherwise... there is going to be no more single day passes available?

Also, second fastest selling Coachella? Thats nuts...

Boourns
01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
So no additions to Friday?

tessalasset
01-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Also, second fastest selling Coachella? Thats nuts...

it's amazing how much the internet can sway your opinion.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Man.... there HAVE to be additions.

And, I am truly amazed that single day passes are sold out after being on sale for ONLY 32 hours....

That is, unless they just sold like 1000 single tickets for each day.

boyalien0
01-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Crazy. Zany. Interesting.

Purplegator
01-27-2008, 10:19 PM
I must say, I love Coachella, but I am really pissed off at the whole thing at this point. The times I've bought Coachella tix in the past it has never sold out the FIRST day! I just feel this is a racket! At least GV should make some sort of friggin' statement, or let everyone know their intentions. They are messing with people who love to come to Coachella, and who, like myself, have waited all year for.
I was really holding on to the thought that they would release some tickets or make an announcement, but I am afraid that by the time they do I will be over the whole thing!
Our country is hurting, people are out of work, I lost my job the Friday before Christmas and just started a new one, so I didn't have the money the day tix went on sale. My buddy and I were going to go in on getting the tickets, but we didn't buy them the first hours. And now it seems as though we have lost out.
We can't afford to go all three days, and as a matter of fact I thought it was a pretty big deal that we were planning on going 2 days this year!
Very disappointing Coachella! Shame on you! I hope you find a way to resolve this!

rage patton
01-27-2008, 10:20 PM
it's amazing how much the internet can sway your opinion.

?

I am confused. What opinion has been swayed? Personaly, I love the line up this year. And I don't doubt others, not on this board, feel the same. I have never been negative about this line up once! The only thing I am bummed about is its looking more and more likely Madness aren't going to be there...
I just thought this year tickets were going to sell more slowly. I thought it was likely still going to sell out, just nowhere near as fast. I was expecting like a week or two before the festival.
So by Paul T saying its the second fastest selling Coachella, I assuming he is meaning that tickets are selling almost as fast at they did last year. And that surprised me. No opinion has been swayed.
Also, isn't it still possible they release some more single day tickets after the days had officialy been reorganized? If single day tickets are in fact "sold out" Im betting it is because they released less single day tickets this year.
I just hope they release more, because my girlfriends parents wanted to go for just Saturday. Her dad is quite possibly the biggest Kraftwerk fan in the entire world.

Westy
01-27-2008, 10:24 PM
I can see how Roger Waters might sell out a single day, but I don't think Jack Johnson would sell out a day. As much as a love Portishead, they aren't a huge name with in the mainstream, as oppossed to RHCP.

There are a lot of great smaller acts, but it's the headliners that cause a ticket frenzy like Rage Against the Machine. I just don't see how that's the case this year.

Mr.Wyndham
01-27-2008, 10:27 PM
and the "tricks" go on.

summerkid
01-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I can see how Roger Waters might sell out a single day, but I don't think Jack Johnson would sell out a day. As much as a love Portishead, they aren't a huge name with in the mainstream, as oppossed to RHCP.

There are a lot of great smaller acts, but it's the headliners that cause a ticket frenzy like Rage Against the Machine. I just don't see how that's the case this year.

Coachella has reached the point where they've gained such a steady fan base over the years that it will sell out almost no matter what.

Purplegator
01-27-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm really bummed on the whole thing, the funny thing is people are so upset with the line-up, everybody says it sucks, but not me! I was stoked about the line up and so jazzed for Coachella 2008! Now I am close to being over it, all because I have been pulling my hair out all weekend wondering, "I don't want to stray too far from my computer, because tickets might be released". It's like some sort of mental game the coachella folks are playing, and I don't like it.
They need to make a statement! Say something, anything. They made such a big deal about the announcement, and how tickets were going on sale, etc, and then...nothing. I know they are all standing by, working up something, or trying some new sales tactic, but I think it is wrong. If there are still 3 day passes available, they need to break em down and make single tickets available. If I had 300 bucks I'd buy the 3 day pass and just stay home on Sunday and recoop before going back to work on Monday. But I don't!

Sonicifyouwantit
01-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Coachella has reached the point where they've gained such a steady fan base over the years that it will sell out almost no matter what.

and a growing international fan base, makes it hard when you are competing with rest of the world for tickets.. wonder how long 3 day passes will last. They were the first to sell last year unless they were second after sunday single day...not sure. Must have sold a lot of tickets if they are worried about keeping crowd levels same as last year

suprefan
01-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Saturday and Sunday single days sold out first last year during the first weekend it went on sale. 3 day passes took 20 days(give or take) to sell out. Camping sold out a couple days after that.

Mjfritts
01-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Let me get this straight. if I buy TWO 3 day tickets and I only used two sundays. I can sell the others right? It's just like buying seperate tickets?

orbit
01-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Yes, when you buy a 3 day pass they give you 3 separate tickets, one for each day. So, if you are using only one ticket, you can sell the other ones.

Sonicifyouwantit
01-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Let me get this straight. if I buy TWO 3 day tickets and I only used two sundays. I can sell the others right? It's just like buying seperate tickets?

the kid is on to something

Westy
01-27-2008, 11:04 PM

Yeah, you're right. Hopefully they realize to keep that fan base they need to keep the fans happy, i.e. big names as well as smaller acts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to this year. A few additions would be nice though.

Purplegator
01-27-2008, 11:05 PM

Dude you have been in touch with me and my friend, if that's the case, we might want to consider it. I just figured the three day pass thing would blow up on people, like the ticket would be one ticket or a wrist band or something.
Does anyone know who bought three day passes what they look like, maybe if you have printed them out, is it one print out with all three days on it, or is it three seperate tix?

Amneeziac
01-27-2008, 11:11 PM
This convinces me that Coachella ticket selling post-Ticketmaster is going to reach an unprecedented high in 2008.

Especially after Tollett's "tricks" get pulled out of his "sleeves"

rage patton
01-27-2008, 11:12 PM
You get three seperate tickets. One for each day.

vogina
01-27-2008, 11:13 PM

Single-day tickets for the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival are no longer on sale -- at least for now.

Paul Tollett, president of Los Angeles-based Goldenvoice, told The Desert Sun on Sunday individual tickets for the three-day event -- slated for April 25-27 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio -- sales for one-day passes were cut off at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Tollett, who founded the first Coachella in 1999, said they cut off the tickets to try to keep the crowd around the same size as last year, which was about a showing of 60,000 people a day.

sounds like hype

Mjfritts
01-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Dude you have been in touch with me and my friend, if that's the case, we might want to consider it. I just figured the three day pass thing would blow up on people, like the ticket would be one ticket or a wrist band or something.
Does anyone know who bought three day passes what they look like, maybe if you have printed them out, is it one print out with all three days on it, or is it three seperate tix?

looks like we are indeed going to the chella! the easy way out

rage patton
01-27-2008, 11:18 PM
By the way, if anyone needs to get rid of two tickets to Saturday, let me know.

Westy
01-27-2008, 11:21 PM
This apparent demand for single day tickets isn't reflected with the 18 items found for coachella tickets on ebay.

jazzz
01-27-2008, 11:24 PM

"I think it was"??????? why would Jack-ass Johnson people spend 300+hotel to bake in 105 degrees temp out in the Ca. desert( in the shade) for the only act they know? Is GV having a fucking wave machine with surf contest? They will wait for J.J. to come to Irvine so the whole office can go together... Hootie might even open..

Roger might be ok... but forget it if Booka Shade is on!! even my pop's ain't gonna roll out the Winnebago in the middle of the Ca. desert for that. Roger tours enough..... so who's snatching up all the tickets?????

tessalasset
01-28-2008, 12:22 AM
?

I am confused. What opinion has been swayed? Personaly, I love the line up this year. And I don't doubt others, not on this board, feel the same. I have never been negative about this line up once! The only thing I am bummed about is its looking more and more likely Madness aren't going to be there...
I just thought this year tickets were going to sell more slowly. I thought it was likely still going to sell out, just nowhere near as fast. I was expecting like a week or two before the festival.
So by Paul T saying its the second fastest selling Coachella, I assuming he is meaning that tickets are selling almost as fast at they did last year. And that surprised me. No opinion has been swayed.

sorry, i didn't mean your opinion specifically. that was an "in general" statement. judging by the overwhelming negative reaction i've come across on the coachella message board, myspace, and facebook (the festival's main fan base), i never would have thought it would be selling this quickly. and i don't think the majority of the people on this board thought it would, either.

luckyface
01-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Jesus, I don't know what to think anymore.

sbessiso
01-28-2008, 06:19 AM
fuck im so worried the same shit is gunna happen to me this year as last, i wont have the money for the tickets till maybe the ned of this week, are they really going to sell out as fast as they did last year????

JSam67
01-28-2008, 06:30 AM
I'm so lost right now, I have no qualms with the lineup but recognized what I thought was a lack of knockout names to really sell tickets. 2nd-fastest selling Coachella yet? I guess I was way off...

thestripe
01-28-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm a little worried too, I plan on buying my tickets next week.

Hawkings
01-28-2008, 06:42 AM
I wish they would post officially on the website, 1 day passes are sold out, just so i'd know for sure and could figure out where to go from here.

mandelbaum
01-28-2008, 07:49 AM
There is still something fishy going on despite that newspaper article.

rage patton
01-28-2008, 07:53 AM
sorry, i didn't mean your opinion specifically. that was an "in general" statement. judging by the overwhelming negative reaction i've come across on the coachella message board, myspace, and facebook (the festival's main fan base), i never would have thought it would be selling this quickly. and i don't think the majority of the people on this board thought it would, either.

Well then yes, in that case I agree completely. If they did infact release just as many single day tickets as they did last year and they are ALL sold out, then I find that very surprising.
If that is the case, I think it has become official that no matter who Coachella has on the line up it will sell out from now on.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-28-2008, 07:59 AM
second fastest selling Coachella? ....I am a little skeptical....

ThomThom
01-28-2008, 09:33 AM
The way this year's Coachella is being managed you'd think it was their inaugural year.

M Sparks
01-28-2008, 09:38 AM
The way this year's Coachella is being managed you'd think it was their inaugural year.

Or Vegoose '07

ThomThom
01-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Or Vegoose '07

Your right on the money with that one Sparks...lol

zipperhead
01-28-2008, 09:42 AM
I can't believe the tickets are selling that well unless there are alot of people like me who made plans for Coachella without even knowing the lineup based on the strength of last year.

I just assumed it would have at least two top end headliners (i.e a NIN, RATM, RadioHead type band). I consider Roger Waters one of those type of names, not the other two bands. My only disapointment with RW is that I saw the show last year.

Is GV having a fucking wave machine with surf contest?

Count me in. That'll cool things down a bit.

elChurro
01-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Same old GV ticket tactics... they can't sell off friday so there gonna make you buy three day tickets. This is why I think it should have stayed a two-day festival... but money talks and greed eventually destroys a good thing. It's bad enough having to pay additional fees for computer generated services, charities that could go elsewhere and now will call?

Pink Floyd said it best... "Money, it's a gas, grab that cash with both hands and make a stash..."

whateva'

Mjfritts
01-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Just got off phone with ticketmaster. 1) they told me single day tickets were sold out (WOW). 2) he told me (HE THINKS) the 3-day passes is just one ticket. wtf? please tell me this guy is stupid and they're three seperate tickets. who bought them last year? feedback please? If this is the case I will have 2 saturdays and 2 fridays i will need to give up ASAP. email me mjfritts@gmail.com

Ardentbiscuit
01-28-2008, 09:57 AM
So if it's selling well does that mean no major adds like last year?

luckyface
01-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Just got off phone with ticketmaster. 1) they told me single day tickets were sold out (WOW). 2) he told me (HE THINKS) the 3-day passes is just one ticket. wtf? please tell me this guy is stupid and they're three seperate tickets. who bought them last year? feedback please? If this is the case I will have 2 saturdays and 2 fridays i will need to give up ASAP. email me mjfritts@gmail.com

It is three separate tickets, one for each day. I would imagine that the venue wouldn't be able to scan the same ticket three times.

So if it's selling well does that mean no major adds like last year?

I sure hope not. Although I am going and would be happy with the lineup as is, I'd really like to see a few more additions.

I seriously wonder what "sold out" in this case means. Did they make a conscious decision to stop selling single day tickets in advance? Did what was considered a weak lineup encourage more single day ticket sales? Is there a lot more excitement than what is being displayed on the Internet? I don't know. I am at such a loss trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

M Sparks
01-28-2008, 10:02 AM
he told me (HE THINKS) the 3-day passes is just one ticket. wtf? please tell me this guy is stupid and they're three seperate tickets.

I did the print your own deal, because TM won't UPS to my house in the woods for some reason and I don't trust USPS here. I bought two passes, and it was 6 pages.

Of course, if you want to sell them later, DON'T do Print-At Home.

sbessiso
01-28-2008, 10:03 AM
holy shit dude, this is so fucked up

loyal coachella following or not, i cannot believe they sold out this fast

fuck fuck fuck fuck i need my tickets real soon

PierogiHead
01-28-2008, 10:10 AM
They updated The Desert Sun article a bit, and it looks we finally have an answer about the single day tickets:

Single-day tickets for the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival are no longer on sale - at least for now.

Paul Tollett, president of Los Angeles-based Goldenvoice, said individual tickets for the three-day event - slated for April 25-27 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio - were cut off at 6 p.m. Saturday.

He added, however, that "last year was kind of crazy" with headliners like Rage Against the Machine and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. This year's headliners include Jack Johnson, Portishead and Roger Waters.

Tollett, who pioneered regional music festivals with the first Coachella in 1999, said they cut off the tickets to try to keep the crowd around the same size as last year, which was about 60,000 people per a day.

"We gave people a whole day to get single day tickets Friday and a half-day Saturday," Tollett said. "Now the three-day passes are available. They didn't (sell out) all at the same time. One sold out, then the other and then the third. Now all three are sold out."

However, Tollett said anything could happen between now and the festival's kick-off.

"I want people to have a good time," Tollett said. We have 90 days still to ensure that it's super memorable."

elChurro
01-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Single day tickets have sold out but you can conveniently (thanks paul) still get your ticket by buying a 3-day pass for the one day you want to go. It happens every year. It's a marketing scam... I mean strategy.

Sexecutioner
01-28-2008, 10:17 AM
i think this is all marketing BS by goldenvoice. of course i could be wrong, but i just cant see how this can be the 2nd fastest selling coachella. the headliners are just not in place for those kind of sales. they must have just released a much smaller amount of single day tickets. i have a feeling they will release more...

they just like to fuck with peoples emotions to create buzz. they are smart though, cuz now people who are on the fence will get scared and go buy tickets cuz they think its so close to selling out. i mean, it worked on me, im probably going to go get my 3day pass pretty soon now. i was planning on waiting a while...

and 3 day passes consist of 3 single day tickets! its not one pass.

Ardentbiscuit
01-28-2008, 10:24 AM
I don't know, I think this is all marketing hype too.

I remember last year they said 3 day passes were sold out and I was able to pull them day of the event from ticketmaster.

Maybe this is the trick up his sleeve...

Webster's Dictionary says:

Trick: to deceive, cheat.

1. a: a crafty procedure or practice meant to decieve or defraud.
b: a mischievous act: prank.

Just kidding. :)

mvanwinkle
01-28-2008, 10:24 AM
what if paul just ment it was the second fasting selling coachella of a 3 day coachella. this being the second.

orbit
01-28-2008, 10:27 AM
i think this is all marketing BS by goldenvoice. of course i could be wrong, but i just cant see how this can be the 2nd fastest selling coachella. the headliners are just not in place for those kind of sales. they must have just released a much smaller amount of single day tickets. i have a feeling they will release more...

they just like to fuck with peoples emotions to create buzz. they are smart though, cuz now people who are on the fence will get scared and go buy tickets cuz they think its so close to selling out. i mean, it worked on me, im probably going to go get my 3day pass pretty soon now. i was planning on waiting a while...

and 3 day passes consist of 3 single day tickets! its not one pass.

Yeah, I bought my ticket on the presale, but some of my friends were waiting for a while to make a final decision about buying a 3 day pass or single tickets for sat-sun. But with all this, they got pretty scared and 2 already bought their 3 day passes this morning. I'm pretty sure they'll release more single tickets close to april, but most people want to buy tickets first and then make plans, ask for the days off,etc.

Ardentbiscuit
01-28-2008, 10:40 AM
If it is true about the festival selling so well I don't think there will be any adds.

If the sales are going that well they wouldn't need to.

Also, he never specifically said adds, he said tricks up his sleeve.

Last year we had about 119,120 acts, this year we have about 125,126 acts so we already have more acts then last year so why would they add more?

faxman75
01-28-2008, 10:55 AM
I call bullshit. Lets see the numbers and facts Tollett.

Boourns
01-28-2008, 11:11 AM
If it is true about the festival selling so well I don't think there will be any adds.

If the sales are going that well they wouldn't need to.

Also, he never specifically said adds, he said tricks up his sleeve.

Last year we had about 119,120 acts, this year we have about 125,126 acts so we already have more acts then last year so why would they add more?

Well we are apparently getting a full Friday, unlike last year's 30some acts.

But back on topic, the answer lies in the word choice.

Paul Tollett, president of Los Angeles-based Goldenvoice, said individual tickets for the three-day event - slated for April 25-27 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio - were cut off at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Cut off is not the same as actually running out. It's more of an "okay, we're not going to make as many available this time around, after all" as opposed to "every ticket was grabbed and there are simply none left"

BROKENDOLL
01-28-2008, 11:43 AM
It is three separate tickets, one for each day. I would imagine that the venue wouldn't be able to scan the same ticket three times.

I sure hope not. Although I am going and would be happy with the lineup as is, I'd really like to see a few more additions.

I seriously wonder what "sold out" in this case means. Did they make a conscious decision to stop selling single day tickets in advance? Did what was considered a weak lineup encourage more single day ticket sales? Is there a lot more excitement than what is being displayed on the Internet? I don't know. I am at such a loss trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
Chill out, Luckyface...You've got your tickets...

Todfilm
01-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I think it may also have to do with them switching up the days that certain acts are playing. Maybe they want to hold off on single day tickets because they don't want people to buy a single day ticket to see a certain act and then when that act gets moved, they demand their money back.

If you haven't gotten your tickets yet, I wouldn't worry too much. They always release more tickets as we get closer to the fest.

Tijuana
01-28-2008, 11:49 AM
GV is doing all this on purpose. They want to get a good laugh at all those idiots who pay double or triple on ebay. Then after a good laugh they will release more tickets. Just like last year. So strop crying and deal with it.

BROKENDOLL
01-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Everybody take afew deep breaths and re-read..."Second fastest selling," not "second sold out Coachella."

C DUB YA
01-28-2008, 12:27 PM
like I've said - coachella selling out no matter the line up is no surprise.

its quite a popular gig. too popular if you ask me - 60k is a bit cramped - try and see your faves in the tents when no one else is on. impossible.

PrettyRagdoll
01-28-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm so lost right now, I have no qualms with the lineup but recognized what I thought was a lack of knockout names to really sell tickets. 2nd-fastest selling Coachella yet? I guess I was way off...

Yeah I felt the same way. I was going to try and wait until Friday to buy my camping ticket, but I was afraid the tickets might sell out so I bought it yesterday with my credit card.

Ardentbiscuit
01-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I wish when people made statements like this they were required to provide numbers with backing data.

I could easily say, "65% of all Americans watch more tv. on Monday nights.".

It sounds valid but yet I just pulled it out of my you know what...it's completely made up.

Wheres the beef?
01-28-2008, 07:31 PM
I wish when people made statements like this they were required to provide numbers with backing data.

I could easily say, "65% of all Americans watch more tv. on Monday nights.".

It sounds valid but yet I just pulled it out of my you know what...it's completely made up.

All statistics are made up anyways. 53% of people know that.

psychic friend
01-28-2008, 07:36 PM
53% of people know that.

lol

inkwell
01-29-2008, 12:56 PM
this is seriously bullshit, coachella this year is a MAJOR dissapointment. from their lineup to the way they handled the ticket sales.

i'm an INTENSE portishead fan and im scrapping the whole trip out of spite and disgust.

JustSteve
01-29-2008, 01:00 PM
who loses in that scenario? not goldenvoice.

Ardentbiscuit
01-29-2008, 01:08 PM
So what was the first fastest sell out? I just wish we had numbers comparing all the year's sales stats. I bet ticketmaster's software tracks this and saves it, they just don't make it public.

JustSteve
01-29-2008, 01:12 PM
i think last year was the fastest.

2004 was the first sell out, but that took a few months. don't recall what 2005 or 2006 was like, but don't remember anything happening within the first few weeks.

rage patton
01-29-2008, 01:14 PM
2007 definately had the fastest. 83 days in advance or something like that. If ticket sales were on par with that of last year, we can expect all 3 day passes to be gone in 3-4 days.

nationocean
01-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Same old GV ticket tactics... they can't sell off friday so there gonna make you buy three day tickets. This is why I think it should have stayed a two-day festival... but money talks and greed eventually destroys a good thing. It's bad enough having to pay additional fees for computer generated services, charities that could go elsewhere and now will call?

Pink Floyd said it best... "Money, it's a gas, grab that cash with both hands and make a stash..."

whateva'

amen to that. this festival has gone out of control and soon enough it will be unrecognizable to most original festival goers. it is about to take some more absurd twists and turns before we actually get to april. trust me.

psychic friend
01-29-2008, 01:58 PM
again.. lol

pet4h
01-29-2008, 04:38 PM
This is sad, Paul Tollet should be ashamed of himself. At least wait a few weeks or a month before announcing the single day tickets are "sold out"

JustSteve
01-29-2008, 04:40 PM
announce it a month after the fact? how does that make sense? if they sold the allotment available then what else is there to do?

psychic friend
01-29-2008, 04:41 PM
ya that makes no sense. if they sold out the allotment they sold out .

it was upsetting last year too but it worked out fine.

betao
01-29-2008, 05:04 PM
i refuse to believe that coachella has sold out already. or at least friday.

MarkO
01-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Has anyone got their tix from the presale in the mail yet ??

nationocean
01-29-2008, 05:44 PM
spreading rumors and gossip.. and panic in people.. aww the coachella board.

nationocean
01-29-2008, 05:46 PM
but srsly, i feel like we are living in the twilight zone here. especially the selling out part.

orbit
01-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Perhaps they released only 50 single tickets for friday.

psychic friend
01-29-2008, 06:02 PM
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n67/eyeheartboost/fail.jpg

gaypalmsprings
01-29-2008, 06:11 PM
http://www.turbodata.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/gottickets.gif

Comrade
01-29-2008, 06:57 PM
It's a secret, but, Nirvana is headlining on Friday so naturally they sold out.

frozen pilgrim
01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
I'd watch a "nirvana" lineup with grohl fronting and someone equally worthy on drums.
same with alan parsons+pink floyd.

actually, you know what?!

alan parsons project for coachella 2009!

menikmati
01-29-2008, 07:40 PM
that's one thing I admire about Dave, he would never resort to covering Nirvana.

psychic friend
01-29-2008, 07:46 PM
have you heard adam freeland's remix of smells like teen spirit?

Bud Luster
01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
this is seriously bullshit, coachella this year is a MAJOR dissapointment. from their lineup to the way they handled the ticket sales.

i'm an INTENSE portishead fan and im scrapping the whole trip out of spite and disgust.
If your dissapointed in the lineup then so be it, there is no accounting for your shitty taste, but wtf are you bitching about the "way they handled ticket sales" for? THE FUCKING ALOTTMENT OF SINGLE DAY TICKETS HAS SOLD OUT. Just like last year, if they decide they can release more single day tix w/o fucking up the attendance #'s then they will. This fest has reached WORLD CLASS STATUS, be glad they offered single day tix at all.

This is sad, Paul Tollet should be ashamed of himself. At least wait a few weeks or a month before announcing the single day tickets are "sold out" Why so you can come on here and curse Paul T and GV, and the mod, and your mom, and your fucking dirty diaper that you dont why you canT buy a single day ticket and no one will tell you what is going on? Heres and idea: pretend you dont know the single days are sold out and just keep trying to buy them and be told they are not available and wonder why the fuck not. We will tell you in a few weeks or a month that: THE FUCKING ALOTTMENT OF SINGLE DAY TICKETS HAS SOLD OUT. Just like last year, if they decide they can release more single day tix w/o fucking up the attendance #'s then they will. This fest has reached WORLD CLASS STATUS, be glad they offered single day tix at all

i refuse to believe that coachella has sold out already. or at least friday.

Yeah, Coachella is not sold out fuck face. THE FUCKING ALOTTMENT OF SINGLE DAY TICKETS HAS SOLD OUT. Just like last year, if they decide they can release more single day tix w/o fucking up the attendance #'s then they will. This fest has reached WORLD CLASS STATUS, be glad they offered single day tix at all

Yookeroo
01-29-2008, 08:53 PM
ya that makes no sense. if they sold out the allotment they sold out .

They can allot more. If there are 3 day tickets available, single day tickets can be sold.

And it is interesting that every day's allotment sold out at the exact same time.

it was upsetting last year too but it worked out fine.

I'm sure Goldenvoice made their money.

psychic friend
01-29-2008, 09:09 PM
They can allot more. If there are 3 day tickets available, single day tickets can be sold.

This is a 3 day festival not a "band" concert.

We promote the Coachella Music and Arts Festival. It is a wonderful experience if you are able to go.

When we moved to 3 days we decided to still offer a limited amount of single day tickets but maintain focus on the whole festival. Having the majority of festival goers coming for "Coachella" rather than "to see a band one night" helps make this possible as most accommodation's are 3-day limits and traffic flowing to/from is insane. (special shout out to the thousands who camp on site for the weekend reducing traffic and helping make this 3-day festival possible).

:)

pet4h
01-29-2008, 09:10 PM
No, I was just trying to warn you guys not to buy the 3 day pass because its a rip off. I mean $300?? Let me tell you something. Last year, Sunday was going for over $300 on ebay. Saturday too! Crazy people. You really think a festival is sold out?? I went to last years Coachella on Sunday and Saturday for $60 each day. Hey, if you want to spend $300 for a 3 day pass, then go right ahead. I'm only going on Saturday this year and I'll get it for $40 easy. Thanks for reading.

Yookeroo
01-30-2008, 01:04 PM

We promote the Coachella Music and Arts Festival. It is a wonderful experience if you are able to go.

When we moved to 3 days we decided to still offer a limited amount of single day tickets but maintain focus on the whole festival. Having the majority of festival goers coming for "Coachella" rather than "to see a band one night" helps make this possible as most accommodation's are 3-day limits and traffic flowing to/from is insane. (special shout out to the thousands who camp on site for the weekend reducing traffic and helping make this 3-day festival possible).

Was 2001 a "band" concert? Does Goldenvoice really think people buying 1 day tickets are only going "to see a band one night"? And am I supposed to believe that "3-day limits" on accommodations are really a concern of GV? Or the impact on traffic? Pull the other one.

Forcing people to buy 4-day passes won't have much impact on traffic. Camping will probably sell out regardless. All GV is doing is forcing people to buy the 3-day passes and then sell the other two. Or they will look for single days here, or worse, they'll be at Stubhub or eBay getting ripped off. What a wonderful way to treat your customers.

"Band concert". :rolleyes

mvanwinkle
01-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Has anyone got their tix from the presale in the mail yet ??

mine came yesterday.

psychic friend
01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Was 2001 a "band" concert? Does Goldenvoice really think people buying 1 day tickets are only going "to see a band one night"? And am I supposed to believe that "3-day limits" on accommodations are really a concern of GV? Or the impact on traffic? Pull the other one.

Forcing people to buy 4-day passes won't have much impact on traffic. Camping will probably sell out regardless. All GV is doing is forcing people to buy the 3-day passes and then sell the other two. Or they will look for single days here, or worse, they'll be at Stubhub or eBay getting ripped off. What a wonderful way to treat your customers.

"Band concert". :rolleyes

you can believe whatever you want. I was just telling it how it is.

n3glect
01-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Don't bother.

It's better for everyone if the people who don't understand what the festival is about just stay home anyway.

SFChrissy
01-30-2008, 01:55 PM
If your dissapointed in the lineup then so be it, there is no accounting for your shitty taste, but wtf are you bitching about the "way they handled ticket sales" for? THE FUCKING ALOTTMENT OF SINGLE DAY TICKETS HAS SOLD OUT. Just like last year, if they decide they can release more single day tix w/o fucking up the attendance #'s then they will. This fest has reached WORLD CLASS STATUS, be glad they offered single day tix at all.

Why so you can come on here and curse Paul T and GV, and the mod, and your mom, and your fucking dirty diaper that you dont why you canT buy a single day ticket and no one will tell you what is going on? Heres and idea: pretend you dont know the single days are sold out and just keep trying to buy them and be told they are not available and wonder why the fuck not. We will tell you in a few weeks or a month that: THE FUCKING ALOTTMENT OF SINGLE DAY TICKETS HAS SOLD OUT. Just like last year, if they decide they can release more single day tix w/o fucking up the attendance #'s then they will. This fest has reached WORLD CLASS STATUS, be glad they offered single day tix at all

Yeah, Coachella is not sold out fuck face. THE FUCKING ALOTTMENT OF SINGLE DAY TICKETS HAS SOLD OUT. Just like last year, if they decide they can release more single day tix w/o fucking up the attendance #'s then they will. This fest has reached WORLD CLASS STATUS, be glad they offered single day tix at all

B_Lusty...repatition is totally your forte

SFChrissy
01-30-2008, 01:59 PM

Definately a more than gracious response!!!

M Sparks
01-30-2008, 02:43 PM
When we moved to 3 days we decided to still offer a limited amount of single day tickets but maintain focus on the whole festival. Having the majority of festival goers coming for "Coachella" rather than "to see a band one night" helps make this possible as most accommodation's are 3-day limits and traffic flowing to/from is insane.

I'm not sure I understand what the traffic has to do with it, but other than that, point well taken.

However, I think the move to 3 days is what's causing the frustration for some people. I think if it was still 2 days and GV chose to eliminate single day tickets entirely, not many people would complain. Adding the third day increased the cost 50%, and the shortage of single day passes makes that a forced price increase.

Also, if I was a local, I might be upset if I had been making it a weekend thing every year, and now was forced to take an extra day off work.

I guess it doesn't matter to GV as long as they can sell it out, but I can understand why SOME people would have a legitimate complaint. On the other hand, they should have been buying them at 10:01am if it was that big an issue.

I do know that I was trying to talk some people into going for the first time this year, and it was the 3 days that was the deal breaker.

JustSteve
01-30-2008, 02:53 PM

"Don't Believe the Truth"

MarkO
01-30-2008, 02:55 PM
I prefer 3 over 2 as it makes me more worthwhile to come from Oregon.

beavington
01-30-2008, 03:08 PM

Really its people pissed off at themselves, like I am at myself. However I guess if I knew they were trying to make the whole thing an event instead of 2 or 3 separate nights then I guess I wish I knew how limited the single day tickets were. Yeah I know they say limited single day tickets available always but I guess it comes down to this:

I think the reason everyone is so shitty pissed off is because we all thought the line up was weak. We doubted the bands we like, like Portishead. Wow they can sell it as a headliner, kudos to them, they proved me wrong. So we are all mad because we dropped the ball. It sucks, but I gotta live with it, its funny last year when this happened I just gave up and said fuck it, I'll go to Sasquatch and I was happy. I don't think that will happen this year but we just ogtta get over it, its not going to make anything different. (at least this is what I tell myself)

Bud Luster
01-30-2008, 06:57 PM
3 days tix only for next year sounds great to me. This fest if for those that really want to be there. and done.

Yookeroo
01-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Don't bother.

It's better for everyone if the people who don't understand what the festival is about just stay home anyway.

:rolleyes I went from 2001-2006 without missing one day. I know "what the festival is about". I even already have my ticket, so this policy isn't affecting me. Doesn't mean I can't think it's a shitty policy. One that smacks of greed and is unlikely to do a whole lot to force people to do the festival the way they want you to do it.

psychic friend
01-30-2008, 10:55 PM
people often resist change and growth, its natural.

its always been a dream festival for us. its shaping into an event as hoped. taking years to get there, more to go. not trying to force anyone into it.

:pulse

tigermilkboy
01-31-2008, 08:27 AM
I phoned a ticket agent contact of mine and he said he wasn't buying any tickets for Coachella before they suspended day tickets sales.
Since then the demand has been slight rather than a rush. Friday is the most popular day but hardly any demand for Sunday. He thinks he will be selling tickets for a loss on Sunday. But Friday, Saturday may save him. From what he knows-which is fairly clued in, they have yet to sell 10,000-but have already allocated and sold that many.
I am posting this so people who want to go to one day but are considering buying a three day tix to sell two days on ebay to be careful. Most day tickets are not making their reserves! My advice for people wanting to go to one day is wait or buy a three day tix and use it yourself for the whole three days. I would not recommend selling your tix for spare days.

beavington
01-31-2008, 08:33 AM
I phoned a ticket agent contact of mine and he said he wasn't buying any tickets for Coachella before they suspended day tickets sales.
Since then the demand has been slight rather than a rush. Friday is the most popular day but hardly any demand for Sunday. He thinks he will be selling tickets for a loss on Sunday. But Friday, Saturday may save him. From what he knows-which is fairly clued in, they have yet to sell 10,000-but have already allocated and sold that many.
I am posting this so people who want to go to one day but are considering buying a three day tix to sell two days on ebay to be careful. Most day tickets are not making their reserves! My advice for people wanting to go to one day is wait or buy a three day tix and use it yourself for the whole three days. I would not recommend selling your tix for spare days.

or buy three day tickets and dont expect to make bank from it. Make some other people who want to see Jack Johnson or Roger Waters happy for cheap (or shit any one of those other non-headlining bands)

SFChrissy
01-31-2008, 08:36 AM

its always been a dream festival for us. its shaping into an event as hoped. taking years to get there, more to go. not trying to force anyone into it.

A friend of mine used to work for the Meritime Theatre in SF and show'd me when the venue shut down all the core employees were given a complete collection of posters of all the shows...

She's got some great posters of Goldenvoice shows that are signed by the artist...it was a nostalgic momment to see all that history!!!

Hawkings
01-31-2008, 08:57 AM
i can understand the desire to have everyone experience 3 day festival, but with exhaustion from dancing, heat, walking, partying, driving, more than 2 days i think would break me and I'd have to miss more than a day of work. Not to mention the expense. I think if people are forced to buy 3 day passes and split em up or pay 268$ + for the pass but only go 2 days, its kinda silly. We bought 2, 3day passes and now have to unload Sunday, plus see if our friends can somehow get just Sat or just Fri from a broker or ebay or something. I think it takes away choice, makes getting tix for friends harder and adds alot of undo stress on some fans. Friends that want to go don't know what to do, if tickets will be released or won't, if they sold out or are being held back, they cant' miss work or pay for 3day pass but go 1 day.

I'm not sure if its a money thing, or helps Golden Voice not have to worry about some days not selling or being enough of a draw or what. On the upside if they sell passes maybe they don't have to get the big names on a particular day and can pick more cool artists that aren't necessarily big but are more interesting (leading to smaller headliners ?). IE... dont have to worry if we put the awsome but not huge draw Portishead headling, will it sell that day. I'm not sure the motivation is purely it will be less traffic and more communal vibe or something but who knows. Ah well, i've heard alot of other festivals and events do the 3 day thing too but still, to at least a few fans of the festival, it makes it more inconvinient.

Hawkings
01-31-2008, 09:03 AM
:rolleyes I went from 2001-2006 without missing one day. I know "what the festival is about". I even already have my ticket, so this policy isn't affecting me. Doesn't mean I can't think it's a shitty policy. One that smacks of greed and is unlikely to do a whole lot to force people to do the festival the way they want you to do it.

qft

I can't speculate about the motivation but i could see it being much easier for the promoters, but I do think it is a arbitrary rule, 3 days or bust, that makes it more difficult. The promoters don't have to worry about, hey we didn't sell out Friday but had extra interest in Sunday, dang 15k of the 180k tickets we didn't sell. Instead this guarantees they sell all 180k tickets without worrying about having to micromanage the lineup for each day.

I think it will be tougher for the fans thou. In effect saying only 60,000 can go and they have to be hard core, 3 day people with money and time off work, etc... instead of 60, 000 per day, some going 1 day, some going 2, some going 3. "forcing people to do they festival the way they want you to do it". Just like our music tastes are different so is the way we want to enjoy the festival, recognize diversity :D

If few individual day tickets is better, is ZERO individual day tickets the ultimate progression of the festival ? ?!

Yookeroo
01-31-2008, 09:48 AM
i can understand the desire to have everyone experience 3 day festival, but with exhaustion from dancing, heat, walking, partying, driving, more than 2 days i think would break me and I'd have to miss more than a day of work. Not to mention the expense. I think if people are forced to buy 3 day passes and split em up or pay 268$ + for the pass but only go 2 days, its kinda silly. We bought 2, 3day passes and now have to unload Sunday, plus see if our friends can somehow get just Sat or just Fri from a broker or ebay or something. I think it takes away choice, makes getting tix for friends harder and adds alot of undo stress on some fans. Friends that want to go don't know what to do, if tickets will be released or won't, if they sold out or are being held back, they cant' miss work or pay for 3day pass but go 1 day.

Exactly. Not all change is good. And I fail to see how less flexibility is progress. Making things more difficult for your customers is more of like a step backwards.

I don't begrudge Goldenvoice their success. They've worked hard to give us a great festival and deserve the payoff. But I can't say this policy engenders much goodwill.

rage patton
01-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Festivals like Roskilde and Glastonbury do not sell any single day tickets. Roskilde is 4 days long and I think Glastonbury is longer then 4 days. Not to mention, both are in the freezing cold and the mudd.
I think we can all take 3 days out of our life to go listen to amazing music under the desert sun and stars.

M Sparks
01-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Here's how I think they should do it.

Release, say, 5000 singles for each day. If ALL the one days sell out, release another 2,500 for each day. But don't release any more until they ALL sell out. That way, no single day would be lopsided by more than 2,500. If one day stops selling, then that's it...no more single passes.

It seems like GV shouldn't care if they sell 60,000 3 days or 180,000 1 days, as long as each day is sold evenly. Perhaps the city has made a request to limit things? PF mentioned traffic, which I don't buy, but the accommodations comment makes sense. If you have 20,000 people who need a hotel Fri/Sat and 20,000 different people who need one Sat/Sun, then Saturday doesn't have enough hotel rooms, which drives the price up.

boyalien0
01-31-2008, 11:09 AM

this is why backward steps are so disappointing.

SnowShoe
01-31-2008, 10:56 PM
Here's how I think they should do it.

Release, say, 5000 singles for each day. If ALL the one days sell out, release another 2,500 for each day. But don't release any more until they ALL sell out.

This event costs $10 million or more to produce. Why in the world would they turn down money, even if a certain day sells more than another?

Goldenvoice's plan is simple (my opinion).

Sell 10,000 single day tickets for each day. Then turn off single day sales - creates buzz.

Push 3-day pass sales for a while. This forces people to buy tickets for days they may not want to attend, but Goldenvoice gets their money regardless.

Add a few headliners if ticket sales are sluggish.

Open up single day sales again, making most people happy (except the people who were "forced" to buy 3-day passes). This also helps to keep the crowd size fairly even for each day.

I do not have a problem if this is Goldenvoice's plan. I will buy the 3-day pass and maybe sell one of the tickets.

BTW, this plan by Goldenvoice might backfire. Any other year I would think not, but this year seems sketchy.

emtgreg
01-31-2008, 11:10 PM
i think everyone is thinking about it too hard

so what if it is a manufactured shortage?

let it roll, watch what happens, if you really believe it to be all hype, then there will be plenty of tickets to buy the day of...

if part of you really believes it will sell out, buy tickets now and dont complain...

you just have to choose...

choose wisely :)

C DUB YA
01-31-2008, 11:35 PM
glasto is not longer than 4 days - its 3 days if i remember correctly

emtgreg
01-31-2008, 11:39 PM
glasto is not longer than 4 days - its 3 days if i remember correctly

to quote the glasto website:

The next Glastonbury Festival will be held on the weekend of 27th, 28th and 29th June 2008

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/

M Sparks
02-01-2008, 05:14 AM
Why in the world would they turn down money, even if a certain day sells more than another?

I don't know...why don't you ask them? The original statement said that they cut off single days "to keep the crowd about the same size each day."

I'm not saying I think that's how it should be done. I'm saying if their goal is to keep each day the same size, that might be a better method to do it. If they can continue to sell single day passes evenly, they should. I understand they don't want oh, say, 50,000 Rage fans buying single-days for Sunday, leaving the faithful unable to buy 3-days. But as long as all three days are selling well, it seems silly to stop.

The way they did it this year, they risked alienating people who just can't/don't want to go all three days.

If they sell out again, none of this will matter.

microcuts
02-01-2008, 10:57 AM
As has been said before, the vast majority of major music festivals in the world don't offer single day tickets. GV's own Stagecoach festival doesn't even offer single day tickets and that's only a 2-day festival! That's just the way it is, I don't think GV is 'alienating' anyone by making single day passes more limited than they have been in previous years. People should be fortunate to get the chance to buy them at all.

beavington
02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
This event costs $10 million or more to produce. Why in the world would they turn down money, even if a certain day sells more than another?

Goldenvoice's plan is simple (my opinion).

Sell 10,000 single day tickets for each day. Then turn off single day sales - creates buzz.

Push 3-day pass sales for a while. This forces people to buy tickets for days they may not want to attend, but Goldenvoice gets their money regardless.

Add a few headliners if ticket sales are sluggish.

Open up single day sales again, making most people happy (except the people who were "forced" to buy 3-day passes). This also helps to keep the crowd size fairly even for each day.

I do not have a problem if this is Goldenvoice's plan. I will buy the 3-day pass and maybe sell one of the tickets.

BTW, this plan by Goldenvoice might backfire. Any other year I would think not, but this year seems sketchy.

I think this year would be a great time to try that scenario out. When its not a sure fire runaway hit but still can hold then I can see a goodbye to single day tickets altogether. I think the only way they could have stated a three day pass or nothing is with headliners such as Rage, RHCP, Daft Punk, Radiohead blah blah blah the jizz makers of the board.
At first I was pissed but only at myself, now I hope to go but I just cant bring myself to buy a three day pass but i really want to see Portishead again. So like someone said, I will just ride it out.

Yookeroo
02-02-2008, 09:42 AM
As has been said before, the vast majority of major music festivals in the world don't offer single day tickets.

So?

GV's own Stagecoach festival doesn't even offer single day tickets and that's only a 2-day festival!

You do realize that forcing people to buy 2-day tickets is less unfriendly than forcing people to buy 3-day tickets?

That's just the way it is, I don't think GV is 'alienating' anyone by making single day passes more limited than they have been in previous years.

Read the board. They clearly are alienating customers. Probably not enough to make them change their ways. But people are unhappy.

People should be fortunate to get the chance to buy them at all.

Lucky us that Coachella has reached a level of success that customer service has take a small dip. All praise to Goldenvoice that it isn't worse! :rolleyes

It does look like they're trying to wean their customers off the single day passes, so the future looks bleak in this regard. Too bad. Here's hoping it backfires. Well, it will backfire if the goal is to get everyone out there for all three days. But it will probably be financially successful, so the customer is out of luck.

Funny, the people who probably most benefit are the scalpers.

rage patton
02-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Try to get single day passes to any other internation festival. You will be out of luck. Goldenvoice were kind enough to put SOME on sale. If you missed em, you missed.

microcuts
02-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Exactly. Yookeroo, if you don't like it, then don't go. Trust me, you won't be missed. If/when Coachella ever reaches 4-day status, I think single day tickets would be almost an impossibility. If you think about it, having all those listings on Ticketmaster would just fuel confusion. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that most people that attend Coachella go to every day anyway. Certainly the ones who travel from far away. And the fact that this is the first year (since 1999) that they're blatantly promoting the festival poster on the main site as a single event - I sense a major shift to ending single day purchases altogether.

As far as scalpers benefiting.. tickets are only worth as much as demand allows. If the festival never sells out and people aren't willing to pay over face for a single day, then that will drive the prices down. So the scalpers won't be benefiting at all, more like the opposite. I see broker sites charging ridiculous prices for single day tickets right now, but that doesn't mean anyone's buying them. It's not like Glastonbury where tickets sell out in 5.9 seconds. Not yet anyway. Far from it.

Yookeroo
02-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Try to get single day passes to any other internation festival. You will be out of luck.

So? Other festivals have shitty ticket policies, so it's OK for GV to ape them? That's the best you got?

Goldenvoice were kind enough to put SOME on sale. If you missed em, you missed.

Ooooo....lucky us. So kind of them to take our money in exchange for a ticket. :rolleyes It's like a gift from heaven or something.

Exactly. Yookeroo, if you don't like it, then don't go.

Ummmm....I already have a ticket.

Trust me, you won't be missed. If/when Coachella ever reaches 4-day status, I think single day tickets would be almost an impossibility. If you think about it, having all those listings on Ticketmaster would just fuel confusion.

Weed out the idiots. I mean really, you're saying they shouldn't offer single day tickets because it will be too confusing? Give me a fucking break. Now you're just rationalizing the decision.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that most people that attend Coachella go to every day anyway.

So what. There's obviously still demand for single day tickets.

Certainly the ones who travel from far away. And the fact that this is the first year (since 1999) that they're blatantly promoting the festival poster on the main site as a single event - I sense a major shift to ending single day purchases altogether.

Didn't I just say this?

As far as scalpers benefiting.. tickets are only worth as much as demand allows. If the festival never sells out and people aren't willing to pay over face for a single day, then that will drive the prices down. So the scalpers won't be benefiting at all, more like the opposite. I see broker sites charging ridiculous prices for single day tickets right now, but that doesn't mean anyone's buying them. It's not like Glastonbury where tickets sell out in 5.9 seconds. Not yet anyway. Far from it.

Gee...a half-ass economics lesson. Brilliant.

bballarl
02-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I think GV are a bunch of pinko commies.

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2008, 07:13 PM
If you wanted tickets for specific days you should have been paying attention and bought them as early as possible. Coachella is only growing in popularity. Simply put, you snooze, you lose.

Yookeroo, you seem to be full of ideas. Why don’t you enlighten us. What is the proper way to sell major music festival tickets?

suprefan
02-03-2008, 07:23 PM
I think GV are a bunch of pinko commies.

Flashback to the 50's right here.

elChurro
02-03-2008, 07:30 PM
so, when do single day tickets go on sale again?

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2008, 11:01 PM
That would be the big question.

They probably won't.

Yookeroo
02-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Yookeroo, you seem to be full of ideas. Why don’t you enlighten us. What is the proper way to sell major music festival tickets?

You can't figure it out? Think real hard.

OK, I'll help. Sell single day tickets to the people who only want single day tickets. Sell 3-day passes to the people that want to go all three days. I know, groundbreaking ideas. Giving the customer what they want. Did I blow your mind? Is that too customer friendly for you? Can you handle the flexibility? Yeah, I know, it's so confusing to the customer, but what can you do?

MarkO
02-04-2008, 10:05 AM
So If I want to go all 3 days and can't because so many people bought a Friday or Sat or Sun ticket to the point where I can't get all 3 tix, that's ok ??

Bollocks. 3 day sales should get priority and that's it.

Boourns
02-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Last year I heard it was around 5,000 single day tickets were made available. God, imagine the drama if those had been cut off prematurely.

bmb attack
02-04-2008, 05:21 PM
To the people who want single day tickets....it's real easy. All you have to do is buy the 3 day pass and sell the days you don't want. And now you are helping someone else who only wants a single day ticket.

boarderwoozel3
02-04-2008, 05:44 PM
You can't figure it out? Think real hard.

OK, I'll help. Sell single day tickets to the people who only want single day tickets. Sell 3-day passes to the people that want to go all three days. I know, groundbreaking ideas. Giving the customer what they want. Did I blow your mind? Is that too customer friendly for you? Can you handle the flexibility? Yeah, I know, it's so confusing to the customer, but what can you do?

Quite the trip. But its a bad idea.

Put yourself in GV's shoes. So say they have totally open ticketing like you suggest. What happens if they were to sell 40,000 single day tickets for Saturday but there is demand for 40,000 3-day passes as well. You could only sell 20,000 3-day passes and would probably have less attendance on Friday and Sunday as a result of people not wanting to buy single day tickets for Friday and Sunday, skipping Saturday. GV is trying to cater to those who want to come all three days, it’s a smart move for them. People who wanted single day tickets had their chance. They’re not going to sacrifice tens of thousands of people coming on two days to make everyone happy on one day, its bad business.

For the record. We agree that the "confusing the customer" excuse is retarded.

SnowShoe
02-04-2008, 08:03 PM
For the record. We agree that the "confusing the customer" excuse is retarded.

Agreed. They are not in business to confuse anyone, but to sell lots of Coachella tickets. And beer.

Yookeroo
02-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Quite the trip. But its a bad idea.

Put yourself in GV's shoes. So say they have totally open ticketing like you suggest. What happens if they were to sell 40,000 single day tickets for Saturday but there is demand for 40,000 3-day passes as well. You could only sell 20,000 3-day passes and would probably have less attendance on Friday and Sunday as a result of people not wanting to buy single day tickets for Friday and Sunday, skipping Saturday. GV is trying to cater to those who want to come all three days, it’s a smart move for them. People who wanted single day tickets had their chance. They’re not going to sacrifice tens of thousands of people coming on two days to make everyone happy on one day, its bad business.

Fair point. But if the GA numbers are an accurate way to track sales, this doesn't seem to be happening here. And if the concern is one day selling too fast screwing up the 3-day passes, then you can suspend sales for that day until the others catch up.

It's not like GV allotted single day tickets and then ran out. They suspended sales on all days at once. Then said they needed to count the tickets (yeah, right), hinting that single days would resume. Then it became the 2nd fastest selling ever, or so they "think", apparently they're not sure :rolleyes. Goldenvoice isn't exactly playing straight with us. And then their official rep on these boards tries explain the decision as being based on traffic and minimum stay requirements at the local hotels.

But then, GV communication with their customers has never been great (you pretty much have to study the poster every day if you want to find out adds & drops).

Bud Luster
02-05-2008, 12:27 PM
So If I want to go all 3 days and can't because so many people bought a Friday or Sat or Sun ticket to the point where I can't get all 3 tix, that's ok ??

Bollocks. 3 day sales should get priority and that's it.

Marko is right on here.

Fair point. But if the GA numbers are an accurate way to track sales, this doesn't seem to be happening here. And if the concern is one day selling too fast screwing up the 3-day passes, then you can suspend sales for that day until the others catch up.

It's not like GV allotted single day tickets and then ran out. They suspended sales on all days at once. Then said they needed to count the tickets (yeah, right), hinting that single days would resume. Then it became the 2nd fastest selling ever, or so they "think", apparently they're not sure :rolleyes. Goldenvoice isn't exactly playing straight with us. And then their official rep on these boards tries explain the decision as being based on traffic and minimum stay requirements at the local hotels.

But then, GV communication with their customers has never been great (you pretty much have to study the poster every day if you want to find out adds & drops).

Boycott the fest Yookeroo, do it. The allotted single day tickets did sell out. Even if GV decided that # was as many as they could sell in the first couple of days. The GA numbers ARE NOT an accurate way to track sales, and they wouldnt provide that # to you anyway fuckstick. Single day ticket sales MAY resume. Dani also never said that the decision was based on traffic and min stay requirements. The min stay requirement at any hotel is 1 FUCKING NIGHT dipshit. She merely thanked those that camp onsite because it limits traffic and the problems that come with it, which makes the whole run smoother and doesnt inconvienience (sic) the local population as much. Like I said, dont go. The lineup sucks anyway right?

Tijuana
02-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Marko is right on here.

Boycott the fest Yookeroo, do it. The allotted single day tickets did sell out. Even if GV decided that # was as many as they could sell in the first couple of days. The GA numbers ARE NOT an accurate way to track sales, and they wouldnt provide that # to you anyway fuckstick. Single day ticket sales MAY resume. Dani also never said that the decision was based on traffic and min stay requirements. The min stay requirement at any hotel is 1 FUCKING NIGHT dipshit. She merely thanked those that camp onsite because it limits traffic and the problems that come with it, which makes the whole run smoother and doesnt inconvienience (sic) the local population as much. Like I said, dont go. The lineup sucks anyway right?

Actually... you are the dipshit (whatever it means) because she did mention that the hotels required at least a 3 night stay (which is bull crap).

M Sparks
02-05-2008, 01:00 PM
The min stay requirement at any hotel is 1 FUCKING NIGHT dipshit.

That's not necessarily true. In Vegas, "No Saturday Arrivals" is standard operations at most hotels.

I think what she meant was...lets say 60,000 people come for Friday only. They stay Thursday and Friday. 60,000 DIFFERENT people come for Saturday only. They want to arrive Friday night, but all the hotels are taken by the people going Friday.

I don't know how many hotel rooms are available in the area, but I'm guessing it couldn't handle 180,000 guests in one weekend. Limiting the single day tickets helps make sure there's enough hotel rooms.

Bud Luster
02-05-2008, 02:55 PM
M sparks speaks the truth here.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-05-2008, 03:02 PM

he does...I am a Front Desk Manager and hotels will always do this around big events...I worked in Vegas and it happened almost every week....

Tijuana
02-05-2008, 03:04 PM
^ ^ ^

Not true. I have several 2 night reservations in a Palm Desert hotel.

psychic friend
02-05-2008, 03:04 PM

exactly.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-05-2008, 03:06 PM
^ ^ ^

Not true. I have several 2 night reservations in a Palm Desert hotel.

how nice is the place and how much are you paying?

JorgeC
02-05-2008, 03:09 PM
so the single day cap is a requirement being put in by the city in order to get permits for the festival or just in the spirit of cooperation for a smoother festival?

I know GV doesn't owe anyone an explanation but all these theories are making my head hurt...i'm going all 3 days and i'm driving there every day, does that make me a bad person??

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Coachella is probably going the way like festivals in Japan and Europe and will soon just not give a option for single days...

ayates
02-05-2008, 03:25 PM
http://doogs.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/whambulance.jpg

tigermilkboy
02-06-2008, 09:37 AM
I think GV should have been upfront and said 'we are going to be selling 5,000 single day tickets for each day and that will probably be it. We may offer single day tixs if the event does not sell out'.
I mean it doesn't hurt to say that does it? I will guess they will sell single day tix in April. It is all hype for GV and Coachella and everyone on these boards is affected by it-me too! Makes me want to buy a ticket and I can't go!!! By the way, I don't think Coachella will ever sell just 3 day tickets. The California market isn't really a good option to be able to do this, plus they have limited camping/hotels at Coachella and a limited lease for the festival.

Yookeroo
02-06-2008, 10:28 AM

Such hostility. Might I suggest anger management?

I think what she meant was...lets say 60,000 people come for Friday only. They stay Thursday and Friday. 60,000 DIFFERENT people come for Saturday only. They want to arrive Friday night, but all the hotels are taken by the people going Friday.

Many (most?) single day attendees won't even need a hotel room. And really, do you believe that the decision had anything to do with this?

I think GV should have been upfront and said 'we are going to be selling 5,000 single day tickets for each day and that will probably be it.

Goldenvoice has always been really coy about this sort of stuff. And I can kind of understand that they might want to retain some flexibility in this area. But it would be nice if they could be more upfront about this stuff.

tigermilkboy
02-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Despite some hostility from others, I think you make some good points Yookeroo. I used to work in marketing with Mean Fiddler-a British festival organiser, so I can see some of the gimmicks GV is using. That is not a criticism of GV, you have to sell the festival and make a lot of hard sells and pitches, creating a buzz and stopping single ticket sales is part of the 'making the wavering consumer buy'.
I think it is nicer to be more upfront. If all the tickets are sold out then they are sold out, but I think people are upset that tickets have not sold-out and you can buy three (essentially) single day tickets. But not tickets for just one day. For various reasons, not everyone can go to all three days. It is great if you can afford $300 or more and take 4 days off work but a lot of kids just can't do that. So I understand a lot of the frustrations on these boards and I think it is right they should say so.

scoop49er
02-06-2008, 11:47 AM
i really like how bonnaroo starts at a low price for people buiying tix right upfront, then go up after certain allotments are gone. hey, to each his own

Yookeroo
02-01-2009, 10:13 AM
And the fact that this is the first year (since 1999) that they're blatantly promoting the festival poster on the main site as a single event

So much for that theory.

insidetheface
02-02-2009, 12:50 AM
^^^asshole...