PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Brothers!

Monko
01-27-2008, 03:19 PM
I've been seeing quite a few people talking about the addition of the Bros. Im one of the people who think they would be a great addition. Do it like they did Tiesto, and put em on the mainstage.

Fans let your voice be heard to GV here, don't just read it and move on to the next gay post.

Blintz
01-27-2008, 03:21 PM
well yes, I'd love to have the Chem. Bros or Underworld (preferably both!)... I think it'd bring some diversity to the Coachella crowd anyways, instead of a bunch of hipster Pitchfork kids

jonnypark
01-27-2008, 03:22 PM
There isn't enough electronic music this year at all...

Sonicifyouwantit
01-27-2008, 03:24 PM
I was hoping for a chem add or underworld or both. also m.a.n.d.y, the thermals, the hives and others im sure...reunion Talking Heads/James

Monko
01-27-2008, 03:25 PM

Ed Banger is coming, thats plenty of electronica. Its just we need Chemical Brothers, they only played Nocturnal in Socal and thats just not enough for the millions of people who live here.

Sonicifyouwantit
01-27-2008, 03:36 PM

I'd say there is stronger showing of dance this year over last. 1999 probably had the most electronica of all years though.

Groups I wasnt familiar with keep turning out to be electro influenced at the very least.

Boys Noize/Ed Banger crew (justice, kavinsky, sebastian) not to mention simian, hot chip, does it offend you, yeah?, demitri from paris...just wait for boys noize to mix in Frau! Someone had better bring in Le Musique by Riot in Belgium, I'm just sayin

bludevil007
01-27-2008, 05:22 PM
i like chemical bros fine, but the last thing i want is more electronic acts. This isnt the Winter Music Festival. They need more rock acts, period. I'll take STP, Pearl Jam, QOTSA, the Hives, the Strokes - any of them over chem bros.

braundiggity
01-27-2008, 06:29 PM
for serious. I know there are a lot of electronica fans on these boards, but what this lineup needs is good rock acts. There's plenty of electronica, nobody's complained about that at all.

braundiggity
01-27-2008, 06:29 PM
and hip hop. No big name hip hop acts yet.

paulb
01-27-2008, 07:19 PM
chemical brothers are a must have!

SleepDeprivation
01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
I was so disappointed when they weren't on the lineup, I thought they would be for sure. Friday, headlining Sahara after Fatboy Slim, there would be no one at all for Jack Johnson, it would be so appropriate and maybe some people would come for Friday. There's even a perfect Chemical Brothers size spot on the poster in the sub headliners.

I hope gv didn't book them for APW instead...though then I'd have to seriously consider going.

Leckie
01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
CHEMICAL BROTHERS ARE COACHELLA 2008

Memorial_07
01-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Its not even that there isn't enough electronic music...its that there isn't some quality acts

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-28-2008, 07:44 AM
who the heck would say no?

brando4n82
01-28-2008, 08:46 AM

hah serious. Chem Bros should replace Jack Johnson..

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-28-2008, 09:23 AM
hah serious. Chem Bros should replace Jack Johnson..

that would make a lot of folks happy...

paulb
01-28-2008, 09:31 AM
...including me. Make It Happen!

microcuts
01-28-2008, 10:02 AM

I hope you're being sarcastic. There's an incredible amount of electronic artists this year. There is a lack of BIG NAME electronic acts, but that just goes hand in hand with the line-up in general not having very big names; just look at the Fri and Sat headliners.

microcuts
01-28-2008, 10:04 AM
CHEMICAL BROTHERS ARE COACHELLA 2008

...And 2005. And 2002. And 2001. And 1999....

I think they've played Coachella way, way too many times.

Leckie
01-28-2008, 10:08 AM
PLEASE

Memorial_07
01-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I hope you're being sarcastic. There's an incredible amount of electronic artists this year. There is a lack of BIG NAME electronic acts, but that just goes hand in hand with the line-up in general not having very big names; just look at the Fri and Sat headliners.

Yeah. I think I might've misworded my statement.
But I defintly think there is no huge name electronic acts.
Excluding Kraftwerk

insbordnat
01-28-2008, 05:34 PM

This is coming from a one-time huge Chems fan...

I say no.

If they'd stop putting out shitty albums, then I'd say yes. They need to return to their hip-hop and acid house roots and slam down some beatz (Music:Response, It Doesn't Matter, Under the Influence, Piku, Song of the Siren, Hoops, etc.). The EBWs are the only tunes I look forward from them anymore, and that is few and far between.

Probably what pisses me off more than anything are their DJ sets. I've seen them basically "play" Brothers Gonna Work it Out in its entirety twice. Not one change. I could predict each song to my friends.

They have to try a lot harder to get my cash.

Bud Luster
01-28-2008, 05:38 PM

Its not even that there isn't enough electronic music...its that there isn't some quality acts

Fucking christ, what island do you 2 live on?

Umm, FatboySlim, Sasha and Dickweed, Tenaglia??? and does it get any bigger than Kraftwerk!?!?!?!?!

bigger doesnt mean better...

Memorial_07
01-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Fucking christ, what island do you 2 live on?

Did u not see what I wrote after that?

F00FIGHTER20
01-28-2008, 07:01 PM
i voted chemical who.....but i do know who they are... just think if they were to add someone, it should be a 'rock n roll' band....there seems to be quite enough electronic music

Bosco
01-28-2008, 07:19 PM
This is coming from a one-time huge Chems fan...

I say no.

If they'd stop putting out shitty albums, then I'd say yes. They need to return to their hip-hop and acid house roots and slam down some beatz (Music:Response, It Doesn't Matter, Under the Influence, Piku, Song of the Siren, Hoops, etc.). The EBWs are the only tunes I look forward from them anymore, and that is few and far between.

Probably what pisses me off more than anything are their DJ sets. I've seen them basically "play" Brothers Gonna Work it Out in its entirety twice. Not one change. I could predict each song to my friends.

They have to try a lot harder to get my cash.

STOP! You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

There is a reason why they don't repeat the same formula every time. They don't want to turn into The Crystal Method.

As for their DJ sets being repetitive, I call bull. I'm guessing you caught the DJ tour where they were promoting BGWO, which only makes sense for them to play tracks from it. But they're always switching things up. You'd be lucky today to hear ANY track from BGWO in modern day Chemical Brothers DJ set.

Monko
01-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Yea Im a fan of We Are the Night.

Don't hate.... plus didnt they do a live set at nocturnal? Im all about live electronica acts alot more than dj sets.

DrDank551
01-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Yea Im a fan of We Are the Night.

Don't hate.... plus didnt they do a live set at nocturnal? Im all about live electronica acts alot more than dj sets.

I agree on a certain level, but chem bros. added would be a further progression towards my ultimate phase of brain melting, light explosions to the face

Leckie
01-29-2008, 07:42 AM
they should do a set with roger waters

gibsonorbust
01-30-2008, 01:53 AM
Just give me chemicals while with the Chemicals

...then again, one is a given. GIVE ME THE CHEM BROS!!!

Astrid
01-30-2008, 01:58 AM
MeaQC9L57U8
Yes Please!!!

give us a reason to believe GV.

Rowrrr
01-30-2008, 07:10 AM
I'd be pleased about the Chems being added, I guess. I'm cautious because the last time I saw them was in 1996 at the Snow Valley Ski Resort and it was one of those life altering shows. Of course they were also billed with Orbital, The Orb, Meat Beat Manifesto, and Underworld.

Speaking of Underworld... I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl this past Summer and they were dull dull dull dull dull (yes that's 5x). Once again though, maybe I was spoiled by my 1996 Snow Valley experience. :p

Whether The Chems will be added or not, I'd still be more excited about seeing SMD. For all of the electronic music lovers in attendance this year, I think their set is going to be where the mothership touches down. :D

Monko
01-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Chemical Brothers with Roger Waters "Dark Side of the Night". Pwned in the face.

Would be cool but I think Roger would rather stab a thousand knives in his brain and shit in the hole the knives created before playing with anybody else. Egomaniac alert.

Would be epic though.

Monko
01-30-2008, 08:14 AM
MeaQC9L57U8
Yes Please!!!

give us a reason to believe GV.

Are you the Astrid from ravelinks? if so its me BobbyB_III

whats up doll?

Astrid
01-30-2008, 12:38 PM

whats up doll?hell yeah i am. could there BE another astrid? doubt it. p.s. you were one of the few people on rl who i didnt think was a total waste of space...at least just from lurking the boards and what not.

of course i tried as hard as i could to Not Know anyone from that wasteland...

instinct
01-31-2008, 10:37 PM

whats up doll?

Oh god.. We got Ravelinkers on the board.. That should be an INSTA BAN! Everyone knows CK.NET is the best SO CAL RAVE website!!

instinct
01-31-2008, 10:39 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Seriously.. Everyone is complaining there is too much electronica.. but it's lacking in my opinion.. We have WAAAAAAAY too many electro artists.. Where is Royksopp? The Knife? The Prodigy? Chems? Underworld? Cassius? GROOVE ARMADA? and of course... DAFT PUNK.

At least we got Kraftwerk.

Ardentbiscuit
02-02-2008, 07:34 PM
If this is true, damn, that's sad..

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article753663.ece

Sonicifyouwantit
02-02-2008, 10:13 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Seriously.. Everyone is complaining there is too much electronica.. but it's lacking in my opinion.. We have WAAAAAAAY too many electro artists.. Where is Royksopp? The Knife? The Prodigy? Chems? Underworld? Cassius? GROOVE ARMADA? and of course... DAFT PUNK.

At least we got Kraftwerk.

no prob here with electro, bring it! but yeah underworld or chems would be sick! the knife couldnt come shes having a baby but royk would be good, id rather have royk over sasha and digweed

Sonicifyouwantit
02-02-2008, 10:16 PM
If this is true, damn, that's sad..

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article753663.ece

hey ardent!

yeah it was just too much too soon, and shes a bit young

betao
02-04-2008, 10:38 PM
damn, 15 year age difference?

wow. wouldnt quite expect that from someone like Ed.

insbordnat
02-07-2008, 01:28 AM
STOP! You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

And you do? Your post shows you don't.

There is a reason why they don't repeat the same formula every time. They don't want to turn into The Crystal Method.

Horseshit. There is a difference between using the "same formula", which they clearly haven't, and just putting out crappy music, which they have. And to use the Crystal Method, which is just commercial garbage, shows your lack of providing a balanced argument. Many groups go in different directions. And I have no problem with the diversity on their first 4 albums. The last 2 have blown donkey cock.

As for their DJ sets being repetitive, I call bull. I'm guessing you caught the DJ tour where they were promoting BGWO, which only makes sense for them to play tracks from it. But they're always switching things up. You'd be lucky today to hear ANY track from BGWO in modern day Chemical Brothers DJ set.

Hmm...you can call bull all you want but when I can predict the next song based on the sequence from BGWIO, and given my lack of psychic abilities, I say something is foul. And no, I saw them in 2003...5 years after the release of that album. I also heard a "live" mix on Sirius they were promoting, with Chems live voiceovers and all, and it was if they had played BGWIO songs with some new trax. And this was say 4 months ago.

Renegade soundwave...doin' it after dark...mars needs women...everything must go...the jazz...etc.

phxunderground
02-07-2008, 05:19 AM
Is this even a question. Hell yeah! Give me Chem Bros in 08. Please add them!

Bosco
02-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Hmm...you can call bull all you want but when I can predict the next song based on the sequence from BGWIO, and given my lack of psychic abilities, I say something is foul. And no, I saw them in 2003...5 years after the release of that album. I also heard a "live" mix on Sirius they were promoting, with Chems live voiceovers and all, and it was if they had played BGWIO songs with some new trax. And this was say 4 months ago.

Renegade soundwave...doin' it after dark...mars needs women...everything must go...the jazz...etc.

A Chem's Mix from recently:

Essential Selection Hot Mix - Chemical Brothers (9-14-2007)
Achim Reichel And Machines - 'As If I Had Seen All This Before' (Polydor)
Cabaret Voltaire – ‘Sensoria’ (Virgin)
Rappermatical 5 – ‘Party People’ (Stones Throw)
Chemical Brothers – ‘No Need’ (Virgin)
Justice – ‘Waters Beats’ (Ed Banger Records)
Lil Louis – ‘ideo Clash’ (White Label)
The Charlatans – ‘Feel The Pressure (The What Pressure? Remix)’ (White Label)
Chemical Brothers – ‘Do It Again’ (Virgin)
Syclops Mom – ‘The Video Broke!’ (Tirk Records)
The Chemical Brothers – ‘The Salmon Dance (Crookers Mix)’ (Virgin)
Marc Houle – ‘Bay Of Figs’ (Minus)
Dj Rush / Soulwax / Switch/Digitalism - ‘The Wiard (Rush Chemical Edit)’ (White Label)
Vitalic And Mbv – ‘Newman Made Me Realise (Chemical Edit)’ (White Label)
Lcd Soundsystem – ‘Freak Out’ (DFA Records)
J Dilla – ‘Da Factory’ – (Stone Throw Records)
Unknown Soldiers – ‘Bonus Beats’ (White Label)
Soundtrack Excerpt – ‘The Wozzard Of Iz’ (White Label)

A Chems mix from over 4 years ago:

Chemical Brothers Dj set from Centro Fly- New York - 10-24-03
The Chemcial Brothers - Strange Galaxy
The Charlatans - Feel The Pressure (chemical brothers remix)
The Chemcial Brothers - Get Yourself High
Woody Mcbride - Basketball Heroes
The Chemical Brothers - Dubplate Special feat DJ Milo - Return Of The Original Art Form (Mo' Wax), Impulsion - 'Higher' and The Chemical Brothers - 'Hey Riff' & 'Base 6'
The Chemical Brothers - H.I.A
Tata Box Inhibitors - Plasmids
The Chemical Brothers - Dubplate Special, It Began In Afrika Demo Version feat Jim Ingram - 'Drumbeat', Resonance - 'Yellow Train', Sparks - 'Beat the Clock' & Michael Jackson - 'Wanna Be Startin Somethin'
Josh Wink - Superfreak (Freak) (dean coleman remix)
The Chemical Brothers - Electronic Battle Weapon 6
DJ Zinc - 138 Trek
The Chemical Brothers - Under The Influence Mix 2 & Electronic Battle Weapon Version
Koenig Cylinders - Carousel
The Chemical Brothers - Dubplate Special feat Sabres of Paradise ? 'Smokebelch II' and Sandals - 'Feet' Slam remix
The Chemical Brothers - Dubplate Special feat Carlos - 'After Dark', Freesstyle - 'Don't Stop The Rock' and Metro LA - 'To A Nation Rockin'
The Chemical Brothers - Electronic Battle Weapon 7
The Chemical Brothers - Nude Night
The Chemical Brothers - Dubplate Special feat Rockmaster Scott and the Dynamic 3 - 'The Roof Is On Fire', Frankie Bones - 'Another Place Another Time', Jungle Brothers - 'What U Waitin 4' and The Beatles - "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprisal)"
The Chemical Brothers - Out of Control
Trisco - Muzak (wonderland avenue remix)
The Chemical Brothers - Song to the Siren
David Bowie - Sound + Vision

And finally from 02:

DJ set Live from Paris, France 1-24-02
The Beatles - Across The Universe
The Chemical Brothers - Come With Us
The Chemical Brothers - Song To The Siren
The Chemical Brothers - Base 6
DJ Milo - Return Of The Original Art Form
Impulsion - Unknown
The Chemical Brothers - Hey Riff
Metro - Here For The Love
Aphrohead - In The Dark We Live
Dan Robbins - DBD
Katmandu - The Break
The Chemical Brothers - It Began In Afrika
(unknown)
MAW feat. Nas T & Denise - Work
(unknown)
DJ Sneak - Recycled Loops
Deskee - Kid Get Hype
S.U.A.D. - Lambourgini
Funk D'Void - Diabola
Fatboy Slim - Song For Shelter (Chemical Brothers Remix)
The Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar
Lionrock - Packet Of Peace (Chemical Brothers Mix)
Leftfield/Lydon - Open Up (The Dust Brothers Remix)
(unknown)
New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
101 - Rock To The Beat

and these are just some of the available "recent" Chemical DJ sets with track listing floating around on the internet.

I could add in the other promo Dj mixes like 'Confront Your Demons' and 'In Glint', but these are not live sets.

So if you look through the track listing, there is isn't a whole lot of repeating going on, unless your counting there own material.

As for this Sirius Radio "live" mix broadcast, I never got to listen to it. And never got a confirmed track list. Are you sure they didn't just play BGWIO in full? or even the 'Anti-Nazi' mix which is very similar? I know radio stations have often played pre-recorded mixes and claimed to call them "live".

Horseshit. There is a difference between using the "same formula", which they clearly haven't, and just putting out crappy music, which they have. And to use the Crystal Method, which is just commercial garbage, shows your lack of providing a balanced argument. Many groups go in different directions. And I have no problem with the diversity on their first 4 albums. The last 2 have blown donkey cock.

I totally disagree with you there. I feel the Chemical Brothers have progressively changed after each album release. They never stuck with a "formula". Thats why I made the Crystal Method comment, because each album from them IS the same formula. The same Stale shit every time.

It's perfectly fine that you don't like the Chem's last two albums. But to call them shitty because they aren't sticking to their "formula" or "roots", is completely idiotic. If you knew anything about them, Tom and Ed are artists who are hungry to create something new. Thats why you have seen all these weird cross genres and special vocal appearances in these past two albums. It's a risk, but they still make it work, and work well. Hell, they even add some epic Chem "formulated" tunes, like Burst Generator, Saturate (EBW 8), and Surface to Air. If you can't appreciate those, I feel sorry for you.

And to be honest I wasn't too high on their latest album 'We Are the Night' till I saw it live. Since then, I couldn't love 'We Are the Night' more!

P.S. If you're truly were a one-time Huge Chem fan, you would know that they put out excellent B-sides. But in case you forgot or didn't know, make sure you check out the B-sides 'Snooprah', 'Silver Drizzle', 'Clip Kiss', 'Spring', and 'No Need', which are all from the past two Albums (actually 'Silver Drizzle' was from the 'Come With Us' era, but was never released before). They might just change your mood.